Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

John Prine's death hits me hard.  I've seen him live at least three times -- I made sure to get tickets any time he played nearby.  He was just here last November, and spent the entire show on stage, playing acoustically while his band took a break.  He even still had some dance moves!  An amazing talent.  I'm just gutted.

9 hours ago, Calvada said:

From Anna had such an impact on me as a child. It's one of a handful of children's books I re-read every year.  It's the story of a little girl who struggled until her family moves from Germany to Canada (in the years before WWII), and she gets her eyes tested for the first time and it's learned that she can barely see.  The wonder Anna experiences when she puts on a pair of glasses for the first time rang so true for me, as I remember 6 year old Calvada getting that first pair of glasses and realizing that I could see the edge of the curb instead of guessing where it was, that I could distinguish individual leaves on a tree, that when my teacher faced the blackboard with a piece of chalk in her hand she was writing something on the board, and a million other discoveries possible through the miracle of a pair of eyeglasses.  What a wonderful book it is by an author who had serious sight issues herself.  

Thank you for the summary of the book. I did not recognize the author's name and assumed I also didn't know the books, but your summary reminded me that I read that book long ago. I had forgotten all about it. I liked it a lot, and now I want to read it again.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, UYI said:

John Prine's widow, Fiona, shared this on Facebook.

A very moving post by Mrs. Prine. However, I greatly admire that, despite her shock and grief of what's happened, she used that format to give kudos to those who worked valiantly to try to save Mr. Prine AND urged everyone to take the affliction seriously- rather than either blame health care workers for her husband not surviving and/or downplaying how serious the affliction is! 

I hope she can also take comfort in the fact that in his last month he was honored for his achievements and got to see new generations give him credit where its due (not unlike what happened to Roy Orbison) rather than having been in obscurity.

RIP, Mr. Prine and thank you, Mrs. Prine!

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I head an obituary on my NPR station that cited the movies he had been in (The Conversation, The Candidate, The Front Page. . ) but I couldn't recall his face. Then they played an audio clip from this scene and remembered exactly who he was.

Yes, he is another in a long list of actors with a long, storied career who managed to avoid the burden of anyone really knowing their name.  In it for the craft, not the fame.

• Love 5

Producer Thomas L. Miller died Sunday of complications from heart disease; he was 79. 

Miller's start in the industry was working as the dialogue coach for Billy Wilder, with whom he remained friends until Wilder's death.   He wound up working in development for the studios, before founding his own production company.  As a producer, he co-created numerous TV shows, including Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Bosom Buddies, Perfect Strangers, and Full House, and films, such as Foul Play and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, and Broadway plays (he produced last year's Tony Award nominee for Best Play Tootsie).

20 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I was just coming here to post about him. I grew up with Mad magazine and always enjoyed his movie and TV parodies. It was a cute inside joke that when Mad spoofed the Harry Potter series, Voldemort was "Druckermort."

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Anduin said:

Tim Brooke-Taylor, English comedian best known for the Goodies. Age 79, from the coronavirus. I watched the Goodies when I was young. While it didn't really age well, he was still a part of my childhood.

Also quite well known for the long running radio show "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue", famous for being the home of officially sanctioned games of "Mornington Crescent".

Which led to this brilliant line I saw on Fark:

Services for Mr. Brook-Taylor will be held at Clapham North, unless a lateral was played in Edgware Road in the previous turn, thus all attendees will be Trappist until Bond Street has been double-cleared.

• Love 6

Former Vikings, Seahawks QB Tarvaris Jackson Dies in Car Crash

He was 36. His 10-year NFL career began in Minnesota. The 6-foot-2 quarterback helped the Vikings win the NFC North title in 2008 before his sole postseason appearance, a wild-card loss to Philadelphia. Jackson ended his time in Minnesota as Brett Favre’s backup for the 2009-10 seasons. Jackson signed with Seattle as a free agent in 2011. He compiled a 7-7 record as a starter before being traded to Buffalo ahead of the 2012 season; he didn’t register a snap there. In 2013, he returned to Seattle, where he was Russell Wilson’s backup in the Seahawks’ Super  Bowl XLVIII victory over the Denver Broncos.

and...

Also from ESPN: Oilers’ Colby Cave, 25, Dies After Suffering a Brain Bleed

Besides the Edmonton Oilers in the NHL, he also played for the NHL’s Boston Bruins

• Love 1
On 4/11/2020 at 10:45 AM, badhaggis said:

Actress and producer Hilary Heath dies of complications of COVID-19.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/hilary-heath-dies-horror-film-actress-producer-and-agency-founder-had-covid-19-complications-was-74/ar-BB12sszC?li=BBnbfcL

She had started opposite Vincent Price in three films and was in a 1970 version of Wuthering Heights with Timothy Dalton.

She was in The Witchfinder General, which is really a great movie, and probably the best performance Vincent Price ever gave in his late drive-in horror period.  The best in the sense that he played a genuinely frightening, repellant character without any winks.   Hilary Heath (HIlary Dwyer at that time) is also great in a very demanding role.  Hail and farewell.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3

Jazz saxophonist Lee Konitz has died at age 92 from COVID-19.  Quote from NPR link:

Lee Konitz was part of one of the most celebrate recordings in jazz history. In 1949 and 1950, he played with the Miles Davis Nonet a trio of sessions that would that would become Davis' 1957 album Birth of the Cool. Konitz was the last surviving musician who played in those sessions.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/15/835634362/lee-konitz-prolific-and-influential-jazz-saxophonist-has-died-at-92

https://www.wbgo.org/post/lee-konitz-alto-saxophonist-who-exemplified-jazzs-imperative-make-it-new-dead-92

Edited by MissAlmond
40 minutes ago, CarolinaPam said:

Actor Brian Dennehy dies at age 81.

Damn!  Funny thing is, I had him of all people on the brain these last few days.  Don't know how or why.  I always liked him as an actor!  He could be a jerk or a teddy bear, he knew how to bring it.

• Love 10

RIP Brian Dennehy.   Instantly recognizable in whatever role he played.

But what do the stupid articles headline "Tommy Boy Actor Dennehy dies."   Yeah, all he did, all his acclaimed roles and they mention that stupid Chris Farley movie first.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

But what do the stupid articles headline "Tommy Boy Actor Dennehy dies."   Yeah, all he did, all his acclaimed roles and they mention that stupid Chris Farley movie first.

Hey, don't bad mouth Tommy Boy!

But yeah he did so many great movies. I remember him in Foul Play and he did the voice of Remy's dad in Ratatouille. So many great movies...

RIP. Glad it wasn't because of covid.

• Love 7

Brian Dennehy rode that razor's edge between leading man and H!ITG. He had his starring turn in the F/X movies and on Broadway as Willy Loman, but mostly, he played the very recognizable heavy. Always enjoyable, always a pro. R.I.P.

• Love 14

he played the very recognizable heavy

On a superficial level, a delicious one, too.

Seeing him bearded and shirtless in The Belly of an Architect definitely awakened my inner cub...

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

But yeah he did so many great movies. I remember him in Foul Play

Foul Play was the first movie I thought of when I heard about Brian Dennehy. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Yeah, I gave the Twitterverse hell about this too.  That was the reference they made on the 'trending' post.  Pissed me off.  Over 150 film/tv credits, countless stage performances, and they highlight "Tommy Boy".  Ugh.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yeah, I gave the Twitterverse hell about this too.  That was the reference they made on the 'trending' post.  Pissed me off.  Over 150 film/tv credits, countless stage performances, and they highlight "Tommy Boy".  Ugh.

Obviously they think more people would recognize Brian Dennehy from that role, than his classier, more important ones. “Lowest Common Denominator,” & all that? I was actually surprised when I saw his obit. For some reason I thought he had died years ago... & I have no idea who I could be mixing him up with.

• Love 3

Brian Dennehy had a recurring role in NBC’s The Blacklist. At the time everything began shutting down because of the pandemic, that show was filming Episode 19 of what was supposed to have been a 22-episode season. This episode (19) will now be the season finale. Brian Dennehy was supposed to have been in this episode (but it appears he hadn’t started filming by the time production was shut down because of the pandemic). The Producers say that Dennehy will still be in the episode, with existing and previously filmed footage used for the appearance. It will also mark (obviously) Dennehy’s character’s final appearance on the show.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Such a nasty illness.  

The TMZ article says he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, not COVID, although I'm not sure that's what you meant by illness.  If you were saying that depression is a nasty illness, I totally agree.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, cynicat said:

The TMZ article says he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, not COVID, although I'm not sure that's what you meant by illness.  If you were saying that depression is a nasty illness, I totally agree.

The article references bipolar disorder.  It's an illness.