Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

The rumors about the animosity between Billy Flynn and Kate Mansi have been around for years, even before Marci Miller took over the role.  It seems like there was a tweet in which BF made a disparaging remark about Mansi's abilities but that's been so long ago that I can't remember the specifics.  More recently, the only thing that comes to mind was Mansi leaving out Billy Flynn's name when she talked about which co-stars she was happy to see after she returned following Marci Miller's abrupt exit.  

I haven't heard anything about their most recent return, and had almost convinced myself that they had finally made amends.  

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

So I'm reading on Twitter that, even though she just won an Emmy, Claire is being recast.

That's been the norm in regards to Days for quite awhile now sadly.

(edited)
53 minutes ago, Jaded said:

That's been the norm in regards to Days for quite awhile now sadly.

Claire being recast? 

Or the younger actors leaving the show and winning the Emmy afterwards? That's been the norm. Its funny how that works actors are given material on the way out but never when they're actually on the show. 

ORK got cast in something else(some High School  Musical series that's filmed in Utah) so they figure they want Claire around despite that. I think a decent recast could work for this character especially since it wasn't until this past year did Claire stand out on her own as a character. I'm just afraid with a recast the character will be totally neutered from how she is now.  Apparently ORK is around till August I think it might be like Zoey where the next day its a different actress.

She's better off Days is on its last legs anyways.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 3

Ew and please God no.

Bummed about a Claire recast. I liked how ORK brought music to the table... And I think she could have done really well if they moved away from this crazy material and let her just be an interesting character with interesting relationships.

Now a Joey recast, I'd be into...or even Theo.. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Claire being recast? 

Or the younger actors leaving the show and winning the Emmy afterwards? That's been the norm. Its funny how that works actors are given material on the way out but never when they're actually on the show. 

Mostly the 2nd thing you said....

• Love 3
10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Ew and please God no.

Bummed about a Claire recast. I liked how ORK brought music to the table... And I think she could have done really well if they moved away from this crazy material and let her just be an interesting character with interesting relationships.

Now a Joey recast, I'd be into...or even Theo.. 

I do wonder how much the recast will change Claire's personality. I mean look how different KM's Abby is vs MM's Abby. She may be a completely different person with the recast.

I would prefer her be an interesting character with interesting relationships but soaps don't care about writing characters unless they're victim or crazy. Normal characters aren't interesting enough for them to write for and tend to be let go by the show. I preferred Claire when she first showed up to Salem resentful of Belle cheating on her father yet again who had dreams and goals of her own while despite being self absorbed loved her family. 

We should've seen more of the Claire/Belle/Shawn drama with Theo and Phillip thrown in instead of having her flailing around and then lose it over Tripp. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I would like to see Felisha Cooper and Brytni Sarpy join the show as Dr Marcus Hunter's offspirngs. 

Marcus is Steve's foster brother and the actor unfortunately passed away . But I still think the legacy of the character could live on through his offsprings  . Plus we would get blak characters not related to Abe . 

• Love 3

Yeah Greg Meng is the one people liked he suggested the Days app and was more about inclusion and diversity based on what others have said. This isn't a good sign for Days going forward as far as staying on.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think the timing works out for Rope to leave together. Rafe should be done next month, while Kristian filmed episodes that will have Hope on screen through October.

Edited by QueenSerena
  • Love 2

I’m surprised that KA is leaving just because it’s an easy paycheck for her. She’s been doing it for so long and had the system down pat. Of course, she might have enough money and feels she doesn’t need it and wants to satisfy her needs elsewhere. Yup! I’m very surprised she’s leaving after all this time. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I’m surprised that KA is leaving just because it’s an easy paycheck for her. She’s been doing it for so long and had the system down pat. Of course, she might have enough money and feels she doesn’t need it and wants to satisfy her needs elsewhere. Yup! I’m very surprised she’s leaving after all this time. 

Her character must be as boring to her as it is to us.  I think that is why she is doing these goofy things, like intentionally picking at the pizza and then taking big bites, knowing the audience is watching to see if she will eat it.  And today with the bizarre folding of blanket.  i feel like she is playing her own little games just to keep it interesting.

• Love 3

I have not been interested in Hope since Bo died. But I think that is the writing. It's too bad PR/Bo left when he did. When Hope "died" in the '90s, the writers were better, there was a budget, and there was enough money to test new actresses (Crystal Chappell, the actress that played Emmy [remember her?]) with Reckell.

Alfonso had none of the above. I think had the show had decent writing and a budget, they could have tested actors with Hope and given her story from there.

But different eras.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, bannana said:

Her character must be as boring to her as it is to us.  I think that is why she is doing these goofy things, like intentionally picking at the pizza and then taking big bites, knowing the audience is watching to see if she will eat it.  And today with the bizarre folding of blanket.  i feel like she is playing her own little games just to keep it interesting.

Or, Hope is being sent to the Funny Farm for a rest. LOL!!! Shadybrook here I come or wherever Salem people go. 

• LOL 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Will Rafe and Hope go off together?

It seems 50/50 at this point. He had been announced sometime ago which means in theory he would be leaving sooner than her. Whereas KA just announced it now but said she filmed her leaving a few months ago. With Days taping schedule (previously) you can’t really pinpoint when the actors are leaving. I’m still waiting for WilSon to leave and that was announced a while ago. That’s why I hate the 9 month taping schedule Days has/had. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I feel like I read a rumor that PR was coming back, so maybe they bring Bo back for Hope. I know he died or whatever, but that means nothing obviously.

I posted it in the spoiler thread that Bo may return.  

Maybe Hope dies and meets him in heaven. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Hmmmm, remember we have that funeral left this summer. They wouldn't do that to her, would they? Especially if you add in the rumors of Peter Reckel maybe filming, they could go off together in death? Nah.

LOL @ Petunia13, we posted at the same time.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Hmmmm, remember we have that funeral left this summer. They wouldn't do that to her, would they? Especially if you add in the rumors of Peter Reckel maybe filming, they could go off together in death? Nah.

LOL @ Petunia13, we posted at the same time.

I replied earlier I forgot to hit “send” when I went into Jewel 😂 I myself heard the rumor about Bo from an anonymous poster on Days who replying on Days social media. 

This shows gonna be weird in the Fall with all the departures. It’s gonna be the CIN and Abby love life hour. 😴 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Maybe she was offered an early retirement settlement and decided to take it because she knows the show is dying and she realized that there just isn't a story for Hope.

• Love 1

Actually I heard a some actors are tentative to go back because of covid as well. 

If KA is gone that frees up a huge amount of money. Eileen Davidson makes a million dollars a year on her Union acting scale. So KA makes at least that. 

• Love 2

I read a RUMOR (stressing here, again!) that Bo/PR is supposed to return in some capacity briefly. What I saw was for idiot Ciara's wedding, but I wonder if that was changed? Maybe Bo, like Jack, gets the stupid serum and he and Hope reunite?

Or maybe Hope dies or "dies" again?

The more I think of it, I don't think she leaves with Rafe. Wasn't his exit announced ages ago?

• Love 2

Someone anonymously on Days social media was commenting on their posts they were trying to court back PR/Bo. He’s retired AFffffff but I can see him doing it for the 💰 and to usher off KA. They used to hate each other in their prime supercouple days 😂  but got past it like 20 years into it. 

If all these vets and supercouples are leaving imma need them to bring back characters I like and put some effort into their writing. 

Like this shit is getting serious and they need to stop fucking around. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29134a258f4a71442cbc

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Someone anonymously on Days social media was commenting on their posts they were trying to court back PR/Bo. He’s retired AFffffff but I can see him doing it for the 💰 and to usher off KA. They used to hate each other in their prime supercouple days 😂  but got past it like 20 years into it. 

If all these vets and supercouples are leaving imma need them to bring back characters I like and put some effort into their writing. 

Like this shit is getting serious and they need to stop fucking around. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29134a258f4a71442cbc

I'm truly beginning to wonder if this is the final renewal - especially with the virus and all its uncertainty - and maybe the show will wind down?

Then again, the more likely scenario is the budget was slashed once more - and vets were low balled and opted to leave instead.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

This shows gonna be weird in the Fall with all the departures. It’s gonna be the CIN and Abby love life hour. 😴 

And Elani. 

I have no reason to watch this show once Sami leaves after her annual visit.

• Love 2

I feel yah. The only spoilers released after all departures indicate a focus on Abby, Chad (who actor seems like he lost a bet and has the choice of reciting the lines or losing his kneecaps), Jake and or Stefan as their third wheel, CIN, and Elani aka a SnoreFestival. I was deadass Show needs to get its shit together. If they have a million dollars free by Kristian Alphonso leaving they need to get back Lucas, Rex, Sami fulltime and quick fucking around with this writing and production choices. 

• Love 5

I also wonder if KA doesn’t want to play second fiddle to CIN? KA is like, “Just because I did it to Bill & Susan Hayes in the 80’s doesn’t mean I’m gonna let these two models do it to me!” LOL!!!!!

• LOL 6

End of an era. Hope is one of my faves but she's been directionless for quite some time and ruined in recent years. She never recovered. In retrospect she should've been written out with Bo and given an HEA for Days 50th anniversary. Instead she'll probably end up having a HEA with Rafe ugh.

I don't think this is a good sign for the show's future and many more exits to come tbh.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I have not been interested in Hope since Bo died. But I think that is the writing. It's too bad PR/Bo left when he did. When Hope "died" in the '90s, the writers were better, there was a budget, and there was enough money to test new actresses (Crystal Chappell, the actress that played Emmy [remember her?]) with Reckell.

Alfonso had none of the above. I think had the show had decent writing and a budget, they could have tested actors with Hope and given her story from there.

But different eras.

Susan Diol played Emmy btw. She was also temp Alexis on GH for a while. I was one of the few that liked Hope with Aiden sure they weren't Bo/Hope but I liked that Aiden wasn't a grey character who wasn't a Bo ripoff(looking at you Rafe) someone entirely different that Hope could fall for. Course they ruined that and Hope never had anything real meaty since. 

They should've in retrospect written Bo/Hope off together back in 2015 a great 50th anniversary tribute would've been Bo and Hope reunited sailing off together.

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

I read a RUMOR (stressing here, again!) that Bo/PR is supposed to return in some capacity briefly. What I saw was for idiot Ciara's wedding, but I wonder if that was changed? Maybe Bo, like Jack, gets the stupid serum and he and Hope reunite?

Or maybe Hope dies or "dies" again?

The more I think of it, I don't think she leaves with Rafe. Wasn't his exit announced ages ago?

Yes Rafe I think leaves earlier than she does. 

• Love 2

I think it’s she’s rich enough and afraid of covid and being around for cancellation. But I always saw KA, Deirdre, and Allison riding with Show till the last episode so color me surprised.  

It isn’t like the ABC greats that did it to the very end, even in the network and ratings bullshit or dealing w real life shit, which I really respect...very old Hollywood. It’s actually really touching that David Canary in AMC carried story until the end when he already diagnosed ill and that other vets stayed because you know they did it for the fans hanging on and their less seasoned performers who needed jobs. 

• Love 3

Wow this is shocking. I've griped about Hope for a long time now, but damn. Talk about an end of an era. Bo and Hope will always be my all time favorite couple. Part of me doesnt want to see her killed off, but if the PR rumors are true I'm imagining a scenario where Bo meets his Fancy Face in heaven 😭

(edited)
2 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

Wow this is shocking. I've griped about Hope for a long time now, but damn. Talk about an end of an era. Bo and Hope will always be my all time favorite couple. Part of me doesnt want to see her killed off, but if the PR rumors are true I'm imagining a scenario where Bo meets his Fancy Face in heaven 😭

Or Bo returns back from the dead with very little explanation and asks Hope to sail away with him. Its Days its not like anyone buys death anymore unless the actor dies in RL.

As long as she doesn't have a HEA with Rafe that's all I ask.

I can't help but wonder we won't see Doug/Julie again either considering Bill and Susan are up there in age its not worth it. I hope we get some decent Doug/Hope/Julie scenes before that happens.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Or Bo returns back from the dead with very little explanation and asks Hope to sail away with him. Its Days its not like anyone buys death anymore unless the actor dies in RL.

As long as she doesn't have a HEA with Rafe that's all I ask.

I can't help but wonder we won't see Doug/Julie again either considering Bill and Susan are up there in age its not worth it. I hope we get some decent Doug/Hope/Julie scenes before that happens.

I do wonder who her final scene(s) will be with. I think it should be with Doug & Julie where it all began. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, ByaNose said:

I do wonder who her final scene(s) will be with. I think it should be with Doug & Julie where it all began. 

This is who I prefer if its not Bo. 

My luck it will probably be Rafe.... I want Hope to have her final scene with Daddy and her Sister-Mother. 

2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm truly beginning to wonder if this is the final renewal - especially with the virus and all its uncertainty - and maybe the show will wind down?

Then again, the more likely scenario is the budget was slashed once more - and vets were low balled and opted to leave instead.

They can only low ball so much if someone is on contract because they’re union and legally have to match their scale. This is why I learned Eileen’s income, she was on RHOBH which is a “reality” show and they still had to match the equivalent of what she made on daytime acting, which taped far less and they still paid her from what I heard a million dollars for like 22 episodes in 2 months taping on the basis of that. giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29c3267fa74f0b8407d4

The backstage shit is so much more interesting than show rn. 

I 100% believe KA/Hope quit because of covid and just not wanting to work or be there if show went down and have to deal. I think CB/Gabi quit because they asked her to go to recurring so lower pay (recurring isn’t on contract and it’s paid per episode at a diff rate) and it’s felt like less prestige or slap in the face to her. She will be fine and KA will be fine also. Hell not that I give a shit but the MBE/Kayla is probably rich af from her daytime acting so long but her husband is an acclaimed LA plastic surgeon and has raked in insane dough, she’s probably just hanging around because she likes the people on set 😂 

• Love 8