Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

(edited)

I saw the interview she seemed content with leaving. I think she knows how this ends for vets on this show after a certain age I mean Bill/Susan were phased out for her and others that are the vets now.  Difference is back then the show thought ahead to the future and Days' future is very much in doubt with their low budget and now the virus where many may not be able to return. Bill and Susan returned when the show had a future.. Days may not have a future for KA to return to. Sure she could leave for 5 months than return but as we know a lot can change in 5 months. What was planned then may not happen now.

She rather leave now than be phased out and told to leave. I mean Judi Evans didn't find out Adrienne was going to be killed off until she overheard it on the set. 

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 5

I wonder if VK pressed her luck in negotiations -- with KA leaving, they could have talking up "supercouple" CIN and VK went for more money.  Then walked when they didn't ante up. Just random speculation because the effort they are putting into CIN is completely at odds with her leaving.  I'd recast if I were them.  Nothing against VK - I get she's one half of a massively popular pairing - but they've put so much into that storyline, not continuing on makes no sense IMO.  Yes, some fans will walk in protest, but that's going to happen, regardless. 

"Greening" of the workforce (let go older/more expensive people) and hiring younger/less expensive is a common approach in many businesses.  Shitty, but common.  So maybe they were restructuring the cast budget and couldn't make everything work.  Now they're out a shit-ton of actors, and many of them in a confrontational way.  Not good.

Personally, I think there are very few soap actors who go on to better gigs.  Some definitely do (see my avatar).  And Jen Lily is living the life as a Hallmark (or is it Lifetime) movie heroine.  Less work, probably more money.  So, I think if you choose to walk away from a soap, you should be prepared for the risk of not 'making it'.  For KA, it's simple, she can do local theater if she wants to act.  Or maybe guest spots on TV shows.  But she likely doesn't HAVE to act.  Not true for many others.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, SueB said:

I wonder if VK pressed her luck in negotiations -- with KA leaving, they could have talking up "supercouple" CIN and VK went for more money.

Her contract was up last year and only signed a short extension so the show must have known on some level she was thinking of leaving.  They granted her that short extension.  If the show were to play hardball with her, I think they would have done it last year.  Maybe they should have because they could have invested in CIN with an actress who'd be around a while.

I think the actress who might have pressed her luck, based on some vague social media posts (but uncomfirmed right now), is Camila Burges. 

• Love 4

There is a LOT of potential to be mined from the Sami VS Nicole tension here. They're In-Laws now! And AS is great in her scenes. If the producers were smart, they'd use the money they now have to get Sami back in town with Lucas for three months, have Eric managing the war between his sister and his wife and develop Allie's relationship with her parents more.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I normally don't think one actor can make or break a show here but I think AS staying on with others leaving could help the show but then it would be all about Sami again and I don't want that either.

Sami is the only legacy child that the show has ever cared about to invest in over the years.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

Sami is the only legacy child that the show has ever cared about to invest in over the years.  

And, since she is the only one, it is another thing that hurt the show in the long run, especially since Sami is not around full time now. (Which is fine for me, as she is exhausting. But having the bulk of focus solely on her was a mistake, IMO. Carrie was around a hell of a lot longer than Sami, yet she got sidelined and damaged for Queen Sami.)

Since Christie Clark is now in England, maybe try recasting Carrie again and go from there...

• Love 6
4 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I normally don't think one actor can make or break a show here but I think AS staying on with others leaving could help the show but then it would be all about Sami again and I don't want that either.

Couldnt agree more. I had the same thought! LOL

And I'm definitely over EJ. If she'd return for two months though, that could be good. I'd love to see her and Kate together again...

• Love 5
13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

And, since she is the only one, it is another thing that hurt the show in the long run, especially since Sami is not around full time now. (Which is fine for me, as she is exhausting. But having the bulk of focus solely on her was a mistake, IMO. Carrie was around a hell of a lot longer than Sami, yet she got sidelined and damaged for Queen Sami.)

Since Christie Clark is now in England, maybe try recasting Carrie again and go from there...

Yes this show acts as if there weren't other Brady grandchildren through the years to focus on. I mean they could've brought back Andrew, Stephanie, Joey etc. If they had invested in those characters who would've stuck around the show might be in a better place creatively.

• Love 3
(edited)
31 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Yes this show acts as if there weren't other Brady grandchildren through the years to focus on. I mean they could've brought back Andrew, Stephanie, Joey etc. If they had invested in those characters who would've stuck around the show might be in a better place creatively.

The sad thing is that the show in the 80's and early 90's that created the Brady grandchildren intended the show to focus on all of them, not just Sami.  Carrie, Shawn-Douglas, Andrew had more interesting storylines as kids than as adults, that is truly a shame.. The show was also setting up Stefanie and Jeannie/Theresa to have a relationship that mirrored their mothers.. Carrie was supposed to be the female Roman as the lead heroine of her generation.. Eric and Sami were going to have a special relationship because they are twins. We never saw their relationship explored  as adults to the fullest.. Max who was an adopted Brady kid was being groomed to be a hero as well and he  suddenly disappeared without any explanation. I have no words for him dating his nieces as an adult, just gross.   

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5

So with the fresh episodes winding down we should see a mass exodus of the cast soon. I think they’re good to October I believe. I think bringing on Sami’s daughter was a good idea and bringing back AS back was good timing since her orbit of co-stars are/were there. Now, moving forward will they dwindle the cast down and just use who they have? 

BTW! Ciera’s Bachelorette party was hysterically lame. Not to mention the hooker outfit she was wearing. Also, why weren’t Hope and Aunt Jen invited. LOL!!!! 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

So with the fresh episodes winding down we should see a mass exodus of the cast soon. I think they’re good to October I believe. I think bringing on Sami’s daughter was a good idea and bringing back AS back was good timing since her orbit of co-stars are/were there. Now, moving forward will they dwindle the cast down and just use who they have? 

BTW! Ciera’s Bachelorette party was hysterically lame. Not to mention the hooker outfit she was wearing. Also, why weren’t Hope and Aunt Jen invited. LOL!!!! 

I believe MR was on vacation at the time so that would explain Jennifer's absence but Hope yeah she seems to be a  nonfactor here.

Yes they have new episodes till October that's when KA will last air. 

I bet they're trying to bring back younger characters if possible to fill that void.

Edited by CanaryFan98

If they were wise they would bring back Theo, who has character history, to give Claire someone to deal with since they're just recasting Claire and keeping her around. They used to date and they were good friends so there's definitely material there.

Joey needs to get out of prison, and if they keep Steve and Kayla around now that they're reunited, trying to help their son reintegrate into society would be a good storyline.

• Love 3

Really...why?

I'm not expecting anything they do to make sense anymore honestly. With like a quarter to half the cast possibly leaving, the next few months are going to make for an interesting ride...

(edited)

Apperently Ken Corday Asked Exiting Star Kristian Alfonso to Take 5 Months Off Days of Our Lives.

She was going to return in some storyline involving a navy seal. Ugh !!

Why not just have Hope's nephew , Spencer Olsen  ,showing up and telling Hope that his dad and Hope's brother ,Stephen Olsen , has gone missing . Afterall, Stephen got entangled in some crime ring which smuggled cocaine when he was last on the canvas in the early 1980s and he fled salem.

Hope leaving salem to search for her big brother would have sufficed as the reason why she was gone from salem for so long .

Perhaps Stephen fled from where he lived at to escape this syndicate . Perhaps stephen was going to be the star witness against that syndicate . 

But noo, TIIC ,are allergic to the shows history and familial ties and prefer to just go for contrieved plot like this navy seal thing . 

The show has a rich history and TIIC should make use of this history for Petes sake   .

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, MsTree said:

I thought Steven Olson was Julie's (Julie Olson) brother.

He is. And since Julie is Hope's half-sister via Addie Horton (and Hope's stepmother as Julie married Doug after Addie's death, when they rekindled their romance [that was before Addie]), Steve Olson is also Hope's half-brother, as Addie was mom to all three. Hope has another half-brother via Doug, too.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Really...why?

I'm not expecting anything they do to make sense anymore honestly. With like a quarter to half the cast possibly leaving, the next few months are going to make for an interesting ride...

Well soaps today don't really want more than one black person as a leading man. Abe is filler but the show has Eli and they do the bare minimum for him so I don't expect the show to have Eli and Theo on at the same time. I'll be pleasantly surprised if so.

Plus many fans seem to want Theo to return and the show seems to not be interested. I'm ok with him not returning because I rather he not be thrown under the bus for Ben.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Well soaps today don't really want more than one black person as a leading man. Abe is filler but the show has Eli and they do the bare minimum for him so I don't expect the show to have Eli and Theo on at the same time. I'll be pleasantly surprised if so.

Plus many fans seem to want Theo to return and the show seems to not be interested. I'm ok with him not returning because I rather he not be thrown under the bus for Ben.

Fair point and you're right. Theo would probably be "redundant" in their eyes, given Eli...no matter how dumb that actually is.

• Love 5
(edited)

I would like to see the following castings:

-Josh Duhon as Jeremy Horton

-Jon Prescott as Alexander Kiriakis

-Darian Weiss as Steven Hawk

-Sean Douglas as Tanner Scofield

-Jeff Branson as Nicholas Alamain

-Gina Tognoni as Carrie Brady-Reed

-Robert Adamson as Andrew Donovan

-Emily Montague as Stephanie Johnson

-Nathan Owens as Jett Carver

Andriana Manfredi as Joy Wesley

Wes Brown as Victor Kiriakis II and his twin Joseph . But let Joseph appear sporadically while Vic is on contract.

-Felisha Cooper as Marcus Hunter's daughter 

yes ,Emily played Abby for 2 days when Ashley Benson left the show in 2007. I reckon she would be great as Stephanie Johnson.

Nathan played Celestes contrived son Cameron . But I reckon hed be great as Jett Carver. heck , he should have been Jett in the first place.

Im ready for Carrie to return fullltime complete with a recast .Gina Tognoni would totally rule as Carrie.

Sean has already played Vargas the convict . But to give him more staying power , i think it would be neat to give him more staying power by casting him as Steve,Jack and Adrienne's stepbrother.

Darian played Will while he was still a kid . he grown up now and i think hed be great as Steven Hawk .

Andriana played JJ's pal,Roxanne . to give her more staying power ,id cast her as Joy Wesley,Chloe's sister.

Id also like to see Julie Pinson return as Billie Reed to join Salem PD alongside Tanner Scofield as they replace Hope and Rafe at salem pd once Galen and Kristian exit the show.

would also like to see Chelsea Brady return portrayed by original portrayer Mandy Musgrave . I doubt rachel melvin will return . revive her 2007 teased romance with jett carver   .

Also bring Melanie back but pair her with Shawn D or Alex Kiriakis and just keep her on the down low and not have her eat up the show. 

also the return of Patrick Muldoon will be welcome provided that he undergoes testosterone therapy . his last stint was bizarre because he was acting like he belonged to salem's gay scene . he needs to return being manly .

oh well, michael t weiss doesnt want to come back so i think it would be safe to get Roark Critchlow back as Mike Horton .plus he is a  familiar face. I reckon he would return if he promised a leading man status on the show.

also bring back Cassie Brady played by Alexis Thorpe and throw her into jack and jennifers orbit like JER teased back in 2005 when Cassie and Jack were cellmates in Andre's DiMERA castle .

and finally bring back Theo Carver and introduce his cousin ,Benjamin Carver . Benjamin , Theo and Jett can be the main players of the carver clan on the canvas.

Edited by Rafael

Carrie is one I see the show caring about the others I doubt the show remembers they exist. Although I did like Roxanne and wanted her and JJ as an item but the show dumped her, Bev and Paige within a few months span. JJ's trajectory with the show was ruined after that.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Rafael said:

bring Melanie back but pair her with Shawn D or Alex Kiriakis and just keep her on the down low and not have her eat up the show. 

See, I was thinking about Melanie too, but I found the character too twitchy. Her energy just became wearying after a while. And with Sarah around, do we really need another of Maggie's kids? I'd be more interested in seeing Melissa anyway. That's Sarah's older sister right?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

See, I was thinking about Melanie too, but I found the character too twitchy. Her energy just became wearying after a while. And with Sarah around, do we really need another of Maggie's kids? I'd be more interested in seeing Melissa anyway. That's Sarah's older sister right?

Yes Melissa is Sarah's older sister.

6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Yes . Melissa is the big sister  . Stacy Haiduk should have played her. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Problem is that she is established in that age group. I think if she is told to tone it down ,she will work this time around. 

6 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Please keep the discussion focused on people who are coming or who have actually been cast instead of who you would cast or would bring on.

There's a speculation thread for things like that here

Alright .no problem .had no idea where to post my casting wishlist.

(edited)
9 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Carrie is one I see the show caring about the others I doubt the show remembers they exist. Although I did like Roxanne and wanted her and JJ as an item but the show dumped her, Bev and Paige within a few months span. JJ's trajectory with the show was ruined after that.

I liked the actress who played Roxanne . She had decent amount of charisma . Too talented to waste on a non entity character. Better cast her as a semi-legacy kid like Joy Wesley.

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

The actress who played Bev is a singer in real life. She and JJ could have bonded over music ,just like Brady and Chloe back in the day. Instead ,they bonded over weed and drugs. This show is run by incompetent people . 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Did he leave (to go do Queen Sugar) or did they boot him?  And does this mean Zucker is also out?

Everyone was released from their contracts before the show went on hiatus I think some chose not to come back. Greg said he was filming Queen Sugar before the shutdown so my guess is that he's going to be a regular on that show now.

No confirmation on AZ although I'd rather see an Ericole HEA than this show possibly bringing back Daniel for Nicole.

I guess they could do Brady/Nicole again which would be preferable than Bristen.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I think it may have something to do with a custody issue going on with his ex-wife.

From what I can find about the custody arrangement is that his ex doesn't want him to move to NC (which I thought he did). 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

From what I can find about the custody arrangement is that his ex doesn't want him to move to NC (which I thought he did). 

Considering he and Angie got engaged and that's where she lives he's probably already there.

These comings and goings are providing a better soap than actual Days is.

• Love 7

Too bad about Greg as I do like Eric, but since I never wanted his character shackled to Nicole, I am good with this. If this prevents Alli from giving her baby to Uncle Eric and Nicole (which is my secret fear), I am most especially thrilled. Only thing that would make this better for me is if Sami comes back to town to say a BIG FAT "I told you so."

I bet that does happen(Sami saying I told you so) assuming Ericole don't get an HEA or Eric is presumed dead.

I wonder if he realized that they weren't planning on keeping Eric around/frontburner after the contract release/shutdown. 

Actors come and go but for me when Greg Meng and Kristian Alfonso are gone I can't help but think there's something else going on with this show....

• Love 4

I don’t want AZ leaving just because Greg is. Nicole can stand on her own two feet and be a popular solo character like she has in the past. I wouldn’t mind seeing a Bricole redo, or bring on a new man for her. Just give her back her edge and spunk!

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

I don’t want AZ leaving just because Greg is. Nicole can stand on her own two feet and be a popular solo character like she has in the past. I wouldn’t mind seeing a Bricole redo, or bring on a new man for her. Just give her back her edge and spunk!

I personally don't think she will tbh. Eric needed her more than him and he's the legacy kid plus as you said she's the popular solo character so this really doesn't affect her because the show sees her beyond Eric.

• Love 3

Well.....well, well....

Sigh.

The show did a really good job the last few years of reinforcing Eric and Nicole as a supercouple, which I think was the right thing to do and pleased a lot of fans. My hope Is that Eric simply leaves town for some reason and Nicole has to stay loyal to him as a married woman in a long-distance relationship. I think that's the most interesting option anyway. Killing Eric off would be way too big, and the way Greg describes it I don't think that that's how they would go with it anyway.

Maybe Eric finds out Nicole has done something terrible and leaves in a huff, or maybe Eric gets a job that takes him out of Salem for a while. It sounds at the least like the character may be coming back.

Heck, they may have Eric "go off to England to help Sami".

I won't lie. This is disappointing news. But I'm very grateful that at least Eric and Nicole got married and we have that closure.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

Jensen Ackles is finally finishing up with Supernatural.   Maybe it’s time for original recipe Eric.  

Hell yes !!! This will happen .....in our dreams ....

Jensen would totally be too expensive . 

Lets say Corday manages to  find the super funding he needs ,id urge him to fight tooth and nail to bring jensen on board as Eric Brady  and court Michael T Weiss to reprise the role of Mike Horton. The show would receive such a massive boost .

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, nilyank said:

Too bad about Greg as I do like Eric, but since I never wanted his character shackled to Nicole, I am good with this. If this prevents Alli from giving her baby to Uncle Eric and Nicole (which is my secret fear), I am most especially thrilled. Only thing that would make this better for me is if Sami comes back to town to say a BIG FAT "I told you so."

Ugh ....would have been better if Allie was r Eric and Nicole's surrogate rather than being pregnant at hands of some random guy. 

Vaughan is a leading man material but his character became the embodiment of Eeyore ,the donkey from Winnie the pooh. 

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 1
(edited)

5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Well.....well, well....

Sigh.

The show did a really good job the last few years of reinforcing Eric and Nicole as a supercouple, which I think was the right thing to do and pleased a lot of fans. My hope Is that Eric simply leaves town for some reason and Nicole has to stay loyal to him as a married woman in a long-distance relationship. I think that's the most interesting option anyway. Killing Eric off would be way too big, and the way Greg describes it I don't think that that's how they would go with it anyway.

Maybe Eric finds out Nicole has done something terrible and leaves in a huff, or maybe Eric gets a job that takes him out of Salem for a while. It sounds at the least like the character may be coming back.

Heck, they may have Eric "go off to England to help Sami".

I won't lie. This is disappointing news. But I'm very grateful that at least Eric and Nicole got married and we have that closure.

I wouldnt mind if Eric still stayed in salem offscreen . At this point most of us are fed up with Nicole's contrieved chaotic personal life and her constant crying. The only storylines they can do for her from now on should be office stories and corporate rivalries with Kate and so on .

After all that ,she can tell whoever ,she going home to her man . 

There is no other alternative. Its the best way to keep Eric and Nicole together and help Nicole regain her former glory and   not having her bedhop . End the bedhopping and dont even tease her having an affair with Brady. Just give her office stories and have her be loyal to Eric ,even if he is offscreen . 

Edited by Rafael
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I personally don't think she will tbh. Eric needed her more than him and he's the legacy kid plus as you said she's the popular solo character so this really doesn't affect her because the show sees her beyond Eric.

Plus I read somewhere that Arianne and Shawn Christian made their house available for renting.... so Its clear she needs the cash . So this is an interesting situation now that Eric and Nicole are married. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Nah  ,its time for Brady and Chloe to reunite. 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Has the weird online business Arianne and Shawn started been mentioned? I'll post about it in the other thread if it hasn't.

No do tell.

• Love 1