Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

(edited)

On 7/8/2020 at 7:24 AM, bunnyblue said:

"Victoria Konefal is gone. You can now start the grieving process." 

LOL, is anyone really going to miss Ciara enough that her exit needs grief processing? As the child of Bo & Hope, I wanted to like Ciara but since I tuned back in all she's done is be attached at the hip to a serial killer and yell at people that he's changed. VK's Ciara (which is the only version I've ever known) has felt more like a Kiriakis than a Brady/Horton, and I've never cared for this Bope offspring like I did for Shawn-Douglas back in the day.

Thank goodness this character and her serial killer boyfriend will be gone soon. this means Ciara WILL leave after her serial killer fiance is finally killed off by faux Eve and Claire . Halleluyah !!!!!!  

the music video I have provided the link for  perfectly captures how happy I am that this iteration of Ciara is taking a hike . Serial killer should follow suit !!

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 1
On 7/7/2020 at 9:27 AM, DisneyBoy said:

WOW.

...and we were just talking about how to fix the character.

Here's my two cents for what's its worth. I find the timing of all of this really strange because, as many of you have pointed out, she's claiming that her final scenes were already filmed months ago, suggesting that this was a pre-planned exit having nothing to do with Covid-19...so then why talk about it now? Are Hope's last episodes coming up in the next month? Considering we heard absolutely nothing about this even from rumour sites and message boards, I'm guessing that this wasn't an exit planned well in advance. I'm guessing Hope is probably going to stay on the show right up until the episodes that were filmed before the lockdown. I'm guessing KA only announced it now because of the covid situation and because she recognized that the writing wasn't going to improve for her character and she wanted to bow out. I'm guessing she just called up the production and let them know she's saying goodbye and that's it. And since she's been with their show for decades, they probably granted her request to leave without any fuss because it's not exactly like they're in a position to force anybody to come back to the set, are they?

My guess is that they will leave the exit open-ended, which is why we've been hearing these rumours just in the last few days about Bo. Maybe Hope's exit was vague or abrupt but they're hoping to get Peter back to film some scenes with her at some point before the show wraps up, probably to air for the finale.

I'm not expecting a big farewell. I'm expecting something akin to how they wrote out John for six months when he was injured mid-scene. I think they'll cover by having other characters talk about where she is...and get her and Peter back for done reunion scenes if/when they can.

I definitely won't hear of a Rope reunion. Please no. Just no.

I have a sinking feeling this means Victor dies too. I get the sense KA would stay for JA's sake, since Bope were close with him.

Oh lordy, I don't know you guys.

Exits now include:

Hope, Rafe, Gabi, Will, Sonny

And possibly Victor, Maggie, Doug, Julie...and Jennifer, if MR's Twitter antics are anything to go by.

😮

I suspect she will leave with Rafe . or alternatively , Hope will leave with Ciara and go on an all girls trip around the world on the fancy face III after Ciara mourns Ben's death at the hands of Faux Eve Donovan . 

• Love 1
(edited)

On 7/7/2020 at 11:30 PM, QueenSerena said:

So, I don't think I ever got around to posting this earlier (MY BAD, Y'ALL) partially because I thought the VK news wouldn't break for another month or so, but I wonder if it might end up being relevant here:

104439110_567923113924204_32501283900284

She read with RSW - who, by all indications, was still filming up until the production hiatus - as part of her audition process. Would the show actually go there by pairing Ben and Allie at some point?

UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH !!! ARE You kidding me ? hell nah 

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 2
On 7/8/2020 at 1:53 AM, CanaryFan98 said:

Now with Claire being recast I'm starting to think they're going to have a Allie/Ben/Claire triangle.  Claire will become fixated on Ben and fight another relative for a man.

ugh!!!

• Love 3

I read somewhere that she ran scenes with Robert Scott Wilson because Greg Vaughan wasn't on set that day. So it's possible they just auditioned her with whoever was handy. Given that she had to show up on the set a week later than they had wanted, that kind of tracks. Maybe this means they won't do a love story between the two characters. God willing.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
On 7/8/2020 at 2:52 AM, DisneyBoy said:

If we absolutely have to have Ben, why don't they just recast Ciara so that he stays forever locked in that couple and away from any of the other vulnerable women of Salem...

I've said it before and so have the rest of you, but if they were smart they'd be recasting Joey and Stephanie right now...

should have cast Lynsey Godfrey as Stephanie. Joey was dull and he can stay gone . he is easily the most pointless legacy kid ever. he was dull as hell during his first run and i dont see any writer making him riveting character. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Rafael said:

should have cast Lynsey Godfrey as Stephanie. Joey was dull and he can stay gone . he is easily the most pointless legacy kid ever. he was dull as hell during his first run and i dont see any writer making him riveting character. 

Yes I thought this from day one especially when she shares scenes with Kayla at the hospital. This could've easily been Stephanie following in her mother's footsteps. They still could've paired her with Xander with Kayla disapproving. Then Stephanie reminding her many thought the same of Steve like she did with Xander. Steve could return liking Xander despite himself and Justin could be the semi neutral party who understands why Kayla doesn't want Stephanie w/ Xander but at the same time Xander is family.

MA should've been Sarah still could've been paired with Xander/Eric instead of Serena and that lame elephant.

• Love 3

Maybe Ciara leaves with Hope if/when violence erupts at her [Ciara's] wedding and Ciara FINALLY wakes up and realizes this will be her life if she marries Ben - because people tend to rightfully despise serial killers and they will forever be looking to off him/get him locked back up.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I have zero faith Ciara will be allowed to see the light. That would mean the creative team shitting on Ben.

He's their golden boy and he ain't going nowhere.

Which is why I rather see Ciara gone entirely especially with  KA is leaving the writing will never get better with her. I could see the show killing off another one of Hope's kids which may cause her to leave town I can't imagine Ciara walking away from Ben with any self respect so she will either die or Ben dumps her. I guess the latter can happen and she leaves town.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Just read that Jay Kenneth Johnson’s first air date is August 18! Whoo hoo!

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes !!! 

Atlast the real Philip Kiriakis !!!

• Love 3

I dont mean to be mean but why is Josh Taylor ,who plays Faux Roman Brady ,still on contract  when he is virtually never used ? 

Is it because he is buddies with Corday ? 

Honestly ,why not just bump him to recurring status. 

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

That's pretty much it Roman died to me when Wayne left in the 90s should'v stayed that way his existence was pointless after that or they should've kept John as Roman.

John should have remained as Roman. He was a fantastic Roman and just sparkled in that role..Drake was never a great thespian but he made up for it with his charisma and his ability to generate chemistry with his co-stars..  I wonder what Brady's name would have been as Roman Brady's son with Isabella.  Belle would have been a biological Brady and we would have been spared Shelle and Theresa/Brady since they would be first cousins.  I liked Shelle but they were never allowed to be more than they could have been. Their coupling limited them so early in their run on the show. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

John should have remained as Roman. He was a fantastic Roman and just sparkled in that role..Drake was never a great thespian but he made up for it with his charisma and his ability to generate chemistry with his co-stars..  I wonder what Brady's name would have been as Roman Brady's son with Isabella.  Belle would have been a biological Brady and we would have been spared Shelle and Theresa/Brady since they would be first cousins.  I liked Shelle but they were never allowed to be more than they could have been. Their coupling limited them so early in their run on the show. 

Perhaps Brady's full name could have been Pete Aurelius Brady . Named after Shawn Sr's father and Bo . Since Bo's fullname is Beauregard Aurelius Brady. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't expect that at all.  She's such a fave of producers.  I wonder if they wanted her to apologize or do some kind of mea culpa and she refused.

But this probably means MAsh is out too which just sucks.  I've always felt Jack could do just fine on the show without Jennifer but the show has always had a very limited perspective in how to use him.  If he goes, I go. Again.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
(edited)

Hmm.  Do you have a link? Because I don't see it on TVLine.com

The only place I'm sort of seeing it is on this Yahoo page which makes it looks like it's coming from Michael Ausiello (TVLine editor) but I don't think it is.  It looks like click bait to me.

Either that or the yahoo knockoff version of the article is getting published before the real article is.  Heck, even in the article, it doesn't say she was fired, it says this:

Days of Our Lives actress Melissa Reeves is apologizing after catching heat from her co-stars and the long-running soap’s fans for coming out against the Black Lives Matter movement.

or

Days of Our Lives has fired actress Melissa Reeves after the actress’ views on Black Lives Matter sparked a backlash among her co-stars and fans.

As if they expect one of the two scenarios to play out. Then they just rehash the old article.  But if you go on TVLine's site, it's just the old article without the two above paragraphs.  The byline, however, is Michael A.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, boes said:

It's being reported by TVline.com that Melissa Reeves has been fired for the controversy over her anti-BLM Instagram likes.  

Looks like TVLine pulled that article not long after publishing it. It was up long enough to make it over to Yahoo's "Celebrity" section which I linked to below.  I saw it mentioned elsewhere that they added to their original article they put out about the IG likes at the end of June instead or writing something completely new.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/days-lives-melissa-reeves-fired-031916723.html

Here's the article from when it all started in June so you can compare the two.

https://tvline.com/2020/06/24/melissa-reeves-racism-days-of-our-lives-instagram-controversy/

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

The only place I'm sort of seeing it is on this Yahoo page which makes it looks like it's coming from Michael Ausiello (TVLine editor) but I don't think it is.  It looks like click bait to me.

I'm wondering if it got published on TVLine's site by mistake then when they realized what happened they pulled it. Yahoo must have a news aggregator that picked it up as soon at it went out which is probably why it can only be found there. 

• Love 2
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I'm wondering if it got published on TVLine's site by mistake then when they realized what happened they pulled it. Yahoo must have a news aggregator that picked it up as soon at it went out which is probably why it can only be found there. 

But even the article that Yahoo picked up doesn't say she's fired in the content I edited in the either/or scenario they wrote)--just in the title.  It's strange. I imagine we'll know more tomorrow. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Either that or the yahoo knockoff version of the article is getting published before the real article is.  Heck, even in the article, it doesn't say she was fired, it says this:

As if they expect one of the two scenarios to play out. Then they just rehash the old article.  But if you go on TVLine's site, it's just the old article without the two above paragraphs.  The byline, however, is Michael A.

It showed up on my Yahoo homepage titled that she'd been fired.

Difflerent day, different story.

Now TVLine.com is saying

Due to technical error, a story was briefly published on TVLine on Monday evening — and has since surfaced on several of our partner feeds, most notably Yahoo — that erroneously claims Days of Our Lives has fired Melissa Reeves. The story is false. Melissa Reeves has not been fired from Days of Our Lives. In the meantime, we apologize for the error.

Tomorrow's headline - MIssy goes to the moon.

• LOL 8
19 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

How strange lol. I wonder what made TVLine believe she had been fired that they ran a story about it?

Wishful thinking?  

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

How strange lol. I wonder what made TVLine believe she had been fired that they ran a story about it?

What's even stranger is the text of the article actually doesn't say she's fired (the headline does).  I copied the text from Yahoo above.  It's either she apologized OR she was fired.  This is what it said before at the beginning.  The rest of the article was what was published a few weeks ago.

Days of Our Lives actress Melissa Reeves is apologizing after catching heat from her co-stars and the long-running soap’s fans for coming out against the Black Lives Matter movement.

or

Days of Our Lives has fired actress Melissa Reeves after the actress’ views on Black Lives Matter sparked a backlash among her co-stars and fans.

Like I said, it makes me wonder if she's being presented with a choice but they leaked that choice to MA before it was made.  I guess we'll see.

• Love 1
(edited)

I could see Matt/Missy both being out but not because of this(just a salacious headline above all else) but moreseo their age and need for $$$ for the protocols, not much else to do with Jack/Jennifer at this point either beyond holding Abby's hand. 

I could see most of the vets being gone tbh and the show filled with younger people with the oldest person at this point being in their 40s

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think the producers would find some way to film Drake and Deidre remotely. I don't think the show could survive John and Marlena's absence. Maybe if they had built up the younger characters more in the last two years to the point where fans were really invested in them hardcore, but if you take away all of the vets, I don't think there would be enough support from the fans to keep watching. I imagine they might go out of their way to create an extra safe environment for Marlena and John, even if it means they interact with virtually no other characters. I definitely think Maggie, Victor, Doug and Julie are going to leave.

Out of the characters that exist who are under 50 years old, the only ones I could see really generating sincere enthusiasm for the show again are maybe Sami and EJ and Carrie and Austin, but I don't see all four characters returning to the show. EJ left with no desire to return and has been very public about that, Carrie lives somewhere else now, in Europe I think, and Sami obviously has a career doing TV movies and things.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I think the producers would find some way to film Drake and Deidre remotely. I don't think the show could survive John and Marlena's absence. Maybe if they had built up the younger characters more in the last two years to the point where fans were really invested in them hardcore, but if you take away all of the vets, I don't think there would be enough support from the fans to keep watching. I imagine they might go out of their way to create an extra safe environment for Marlena and John, even if it means they interact with virtually no other characters. I definitely think Maggie, Victor, Doug and Julie are going to leave.

Out of the characters that exist who are under 50 years old, the only ones I could see really generating sincere enthusiasm for the show again are maybe Sami and EJ and Carrie and Austin, but I don't see all four characters returning to the show. EJ left with no desire to return and has been very public about that, Carrie lives somewhere else now, in Europe I think, and Sami obviously has a career doing TV movies and things.

Yes I think if those two were no longer around the show may not survive but at the same time not sure what they can do with them either. Its possible they may have decided the show is going to end after this if so I could see the vets returning remotely for one last appearance.

• Love 1

If anything, I could see them trying to continue filming another few months worth of episodes, and making excuses for the absence of the vets and then ending it. I don't think they're going to film three more episodes without the vets and just end it abruptly. The show has far too long a legacy and even with what's happening now I think there would be a sense of duty to close the show out in a way that befits its contributions to daytime TV and NBC in particular.

Mostly, I just don't want the show to end. It was renewed for another year and I'd like to think that they can find a way to keep it going. Maybe they show old episodes for a few months until the number of cases go back down in the states and maybe resume filming in January or something.

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

not much else to do with Jack/Jennifer at this point either beyond holding Abby's hand. 

The vets have well defined personalities and jobs for the most part.  They have relationships and friendships.  There are stories beyond offspring  for the vets if the show chooses to write them.  But even having offspring on the show puts Jack and Jennifer in a better position than some of the other vets if we're going to do the DOOL version of hunger games.

That said,  B&B and Y&R are back in production or soon to go back into production and I haven't heard of any older vets not returning/not wanting to return so we might have some people opt out of returning but I don't anticipate this mass exodus of vets.

• Love 4

I want them to all return, but I feel like there's still such a high-risk and I definitely don't want them getting sick just for the sake of entertaining us.

Honestly, I feel like the show is never going to really fire Missy because of her views. I always kind of thought they would be defiant about that.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Honestly, I feel like the show is never going to really fire Missy because of her views. I always kind of thought they would be defiant about that.

I think it'd take more than liking someone else's stuff on social media.  Now if she were the one posting some of the more racist things?  Then maaaybe. 

• Love 6

That said,  B&B and Y&R are back in production or soon to go back into production and I haven't heard of any older vets not returning/not wanting to return so we might have some people opt out of returning but I don't anticipate this mass exodus of vets.

Do they film in LA? California is shutting down again (shocker!) so I'm assuming that will affect (Effect? Gah, I never know!) the filming.

• Love 3
Just now, peachmangosteen said:

Do they film in LA? California is shutting down again (shocker!) so I'm assuming that will affect the filming.

They weren't planning on restarting filming till September.  We'll have to see how things go.

• Love 3
Just now, Silver Raven said:

They weren't planning on restarting filming till September.  We'll have to see how things go.

I meant B&B and Y&R but I had forgotten Days decided to hold off. Good decision since it seems like B&B/Y&R will have to just shut back down again now lol. Man, that 7 months ahead shooting time really worked in Days' favor!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I want them to all return, but I feel like there's still such a high-risk and I definitely don't want them getting sick just for the sake of entertaining us.

Then they would have to fire a lot of others in this cast for being conservative because she's not the only one.. 

Putting that aside yes Days looks like geniuses for taping so far in advance that when they return to production they will do what it takes to make up for the time lost they didn't tape episodes to get back to this production schedule. I also see other soaps adopting this format too because I really doubt B&B and Y&R want to pay residuals to a lot of these actors especially to estates of some of these actors.

• Love 3

KA (Hope) was interviewed on Entertainment Tonight she said the show didn't know she was leaving for good until she announced it. She was deciding to do so for a few years now. In retrospect they should've written her and Bo off the show together. 

She doesn't plan on coming back for visits and apparently they wanted her to take 5 months off (so she decided to leave for good instead)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I would hope she come back if anything were to happen to Bill Hayes. The man is 95 and hasn’t been seen in while but when he was last on he looked great. I actually thought he was only 90. Anyhoo, I guess Ken Corday gave too much of a push to KA and she was like I’m outta here. I really did think she was a lifer since she’d been there so long and the money wasn’t bad. I’m curious if she’ll do another soap (only 3 to pick from) or, try prime time again. I guess she could also go the reality route. She has big fan base so I’m sure someone would be interested. One question. Did she announce she was leaving without doing a goodbye scene? They went on a break and contracts were dropped and signed again. Is this when she said I’m not coming back? 

• Love 3

I'll also be curious as to what note this will end on.

...hell, with her refusing to return, all we may get is a note!

Honestly, this is sounding more like a diva move now. The character needed some time off and a reset so...why not just take the time off and then see if the new ideas are worth returning for? I think she's been pissed off for a while or there wouldn't have been this "use me or I walk" attitude.

....OR maybe this is her way of drumming up more press to pressure them into doing a big Peter Reckel-style return and send-off months from now...

Why fade into the background when you can quit unexpectedly, vow never go return.....and then! In the twist you Never! Saw! Coming! Kristian Alfonso Returns for ONE LAST FAREWELL!

Couldn't have been fun seeing Peter get worshipped for walking away first...

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I'll also be curious as to what note this will end on.

...hell, with her refusing to return, all we may get is a note!

Honestly, this is sounding more like a diva move now. The character needed some time off and a reset so...why not just take the time off and then see if the new ideas are worth returning for? I think she's been pissed off for a while or there wouldn't have been this "use me or I walk" attitude.

....OR maybe this is her way of drumming up more press to pressure them into doing a big Peter Reckel-style return and send-off months from now...

Why fade into the background when you can quit unexpectedly, vow never go return.....and then! In the twist you Never! Saw! Coming! Kristian Alfonso Returns for ONE LAST FAREWELL!

Couldn't have been fun seeing Peter get worshipped for walking away first...

Gotta disagree. Hope has been misused for quite a while. And it didn't sound to me like the show had any real plan for Hope, be it now or in five months. Lord knows they haven't since Bo died. It sounded like they just wanted KA to bide her time without any real guarantee of a story or improvement. In such a case, I can see why she would peace out and not want to return.

Add in the virus angle and how she is likely well off, and I could see her deciding the risk wasn't worth it.

And, really, Gina was NEVER worth it, so...

• Love 10