Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

I'm going to post here instead of "behind the scenes" thread because it involves the departures but reading through the Twitter threads is interesting.  There's a Twitter user who sounds in-the-know (so grain of salt) who says they're changing their model...yet again.  There's talk that they might move to filming blocks and that Kristian wasn't the only one offered a five month break.

Rumors are that WilSon will be back eventually, Ciara (VK)'s departure might be temporary as will the Claire recast. 

I would be curious about a model like this. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm going to post here instead of "behind the scenes" thread because it involves the departures but reading through the Twitter threads is interesting.  There's a Twitter user who sounds in-the-know (so grain of salt) who says they're changing their model...yet again.  There's talk that they might move to filming blocks and that Kristian wasn't the only one offered a five month break.

Rumors are that WilSon will be back eventually, Ciara (VK)'s departure might be temporary as will the Claire recast. 

I would be curious about a model like this. 

So would this mean it would be like 5 or 6 characters all the time?  These people would then go off screen and it would then be 5 or 6 other characters?  This seems really risky as if you hate certain characters and/or plot lines, you might leave and never come back.

• Love 4
(edited)
4 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

So would this mean it would be like 5 or 6 characters all the time?  These people would then go off screen and it would then be 5 or 6 other characters?  This seems really risky as if you hate certain characters and/or plot lines, you might leave and never come back.

I would think it's probably more than five or six people on the show at a time. It might also open up for possibly bringing on new characters (temporarily) to create new stories.  Sort of telenovelaish style. 

I should be VERY clear, this is only my spec based on some vague innuendo on Twitter.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Apparently, if this Twitter post is to be believed, there are two more exits coming:

I think Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans are the next to go.  Which I guess isn't surprising they're reunited, up there in age and the show has no real interest in bringing back one of their kids or writing a story for them. 

I guess if they were to leave at least it will be hopefully a HEA.

• Love 6

BTW, that Twitter poster amended and said, with the list of actors already out, he forgot ORK. So, with the others and the two mystery exits, that brings it to 10. Wow. (But then, Claire is supposed to be recast, right? Or is that just a rumor?)

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I think Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans are the next to go.  Which I guess isn't surprising they're reunited, up there in age and the show has no real interest in bringing back one of their kids or writing a story for them. 

I guess if they were to leave at least it will be hopefully a HEA.

If this guy is to be believed, SN was almost gone. I'm going with Matt and MR as next to go tbh.

35 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

BTW, that Twitter poster amended and said, with the list of actors already out, he forgot ORK. So, with the others and the two mystery exits, that brings it to 10. Wow. (But then, Claire is supposed to be recast, right? Or is that just a rumor?)

You're correct, Claire has been recast.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I think there are a few candidates for the mystery slots: John Aniston just celebrated his 35th anniversary with the show, but he is up in age now. Maybe he wants out? And Lauren Koslow hasn't had anything of substance for Kate in ages.

Then, as mentioned, Matt Ashford (I hope not!) and Melissa Reeves (meh) are also candidates. I would say maybe Steve/Kayla, but since SN did ultimately return for reduced pay, maybe less likely? I think MBE would stay, if just because she likes her coworkers and seems loyal, etc. But who knows?

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

If this guy is to be believed, SN was almost gone. I'm going with Matt and MR as next to go tbh.

He was referring to when SN left the last time after the bionic eye story. According to Alan Sarapa MA/MR aren't leaving. 

Plus given how some are gleeful over this exit I lean towards it being SN/MBE Days twitter seems to not care for Stayla fans much.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

He was referring to when SN left the last time after the bionic eye story. According to Alan Sarapa MA/MR aren't leaving. 

Plus given how some are gleeful over this exit I lean towards it being SN/MBE Days twitter seems to not care for Stayla fans much.

The gleeful ones seem to be Ava fans. So...whatever. Not that it would shock me if SN/MBE ARE out.

I wonder if the DH'es are candidates?

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

The gleeful ones seem to be Ava fans. So...whatever. Not that it would shock me if SN/MBE ARE out.

I wonder if the DH'es are candidates?

According to lysie at DR, it’s not the DHs. She thinks this person doesn’t know what they are talking about.

(edited)
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

I think there are a few candidates for the mystery slots: John Aniston just celebrated his 35th anniversary with the show, but he is up in age now. Maybe he wants out? And Lauren Koslow hasn't had anything of substance for Kate in ages.

If it's a take it or leave it deal, I can see some of the older vets potentially being more inclined to taking it if it comes with multiple months off.  It'd be like semi-retirement.

But I'm also wondering how many of these departures are temporary and structured in the way they wanted KA to structure her contract.  A come and go set up?

And I still don't think "the end is near."  I still think this show will have a stop on Peacock before going into the ether. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
(edited)

I forgot about Peacock I wonder if they go into streaming would the budget be even smaller? I don't think a daytime soap on a daily basis would be sustainable on Peacock. 

ETA: I didn't find KA's interview as bitter as people made it seem. It does seem to me she really liked the Hope/Aiden pairing and after they ended it and put her with Rafe she became disenchanted with the show after that. 

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 4

I agree with the pairing of Hope & Aiden. She & Cosgrove got along great & you could tell from their chemistry. Then the writers had to F it up to be all soapy. So dumb. I would hope she’d come back if Bill Hayes were to depart but it doesn’t sound like it. She really seems firm-firm on her decision. At least, she is doing it on her own terms. With everyone leaving Days must be saving a lot money. 

• Love 7
(edited)

It's tough. I totally respect her for listening to her own heart and reconsidering her priorities, as we all are these days. On the other hand, I do find it in extremely poor taste, given the huge adoration she's received for decades and the importance of the character in the dying medium of soaps to turn around and say "it's too bad there isn't an ending, they had this story and it was so good I got chills, but you know what? I'm going to walk away and this is entirely on them. Thanks fans!" If she's so close with Ken Corday, surely there could have been some way for the two of them to say "okay, let's do five more episodes and wrap her up properly. I don't want either of us leaving mad."

It's like any important and lasting relationship. Sometimes you have to be the bigger person. And I'm pretty sure there isn't a single cast member on that show with a brain cell to their name who feels like everything is turning up roses (except for maybe Robert Scott Wilson or Sal Stowers). They all know the show is an imitation of its former self, they all know the money is drying up, they all know they've been fired and treated like crap repeatedly. I don't think there's anybody in that cast who could fairly say everything has been smooth sailing and the future looks bright. They all have just cause to walk away, and some of them have even more reason to do so considering they haven't been best friends with the boss all these years and probably had even worse treatment. So I guess that's why I wish someone as privileged as Kristian Alfonso, who has definitely been one of the show's marquee stars for years, could, for the sake of the team and the fans, muster up enough maturity to make some kind of deal with Ken to usher the character off canvas with dignity.

Heck, even if all she did was wait until after they'd written Hope off, which they were clearly going to do anyway, and then announce that she was not going to return to the show because she didn't have confidence in where things were going to go and state her character's last exit was the final one, that at least would have been better than this. She's basically forcing the show to pull something out of their ass, and while I understand they have all the power in the world to be the mature party and treat her character with respect, Kristian definitely had a role to play here. This was her life's work and the thing she'll be remembered most for. You'd think she'd want to leave some class.

Maybe this sounds bratty and entitled, but if you're really grateful to the fans and their love and support has mattered to you all these years, you don't just walk off abruptly if it can be helped. You take a bow, you say goodnight and then you leave.

I realize Corday was playing mind games, being controlling and pressuring her never to leave out of loyalty. I don't think that's fair and I definitely think she should leave if she really wanted to...but this?

Corday and Alfonso's tug of war just tore a hole in the show.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I realize Corday was playing mind games, being controlling and pressuring her never to leave out of loyalty. I don't think that's fair and I definitely think she should leave if she really wanted to...but this?

Honestly, "this" sounds about the best KA could do, if indeed Corday WAS being a dick and taking her - and all of the vets - for granted. If one you [universal you] thought was a friend fucks you over, CONTINUES to fuck you over, and generally craps all over your history, I'd hope they would do as KA is doing and basically drawing a line in the sand and saying, "No more."

• Love 11

Yeah I get that. By the same token, she could have done that in her head, allowed the character to get written out and then given this exact same interview, saying "I knew who I was dealing with and knew it wouldn't get better, and I also didn't want fans to not get a chance to say goodbye to Hope by having her simply disappear with no explanation...so I filmed her exit, and kept my intention not to return a secret."

Of course, maybe filming an exit would have required signing a contract that stipulated she would return in five months, I don't know.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Of course, maybe filming an exit would have required signing a contract that stipulated she would return in five months, I don't know.

That is probably right since Victoria Konefal (Ciara) apparently had signed an extension for her story, if the rumors are true.

• Love 1
(edited)

And would you risk getting sick to go in and shoot the scenes?  There's that factor that wouldn't have been there in the past.  And it doesnt necessarily sound like they were going to bring her back before writing her off for 6 months.

There can still be an explanation.  It'll just not involve Hope being on screen but in some ways, it's just as well.  It's not like they can film long goodbye hugs these days.

I don't even see this as that abrupt if the cast were off contract and what she is saying is what went down (which I believe it is and I suspect there's more we don't know.) Now abrupt and ballsy is what Beverly McKinsey did on Guiding Light.  She had outs in her contract which the EP likely didn't know about or didn't pay attention to. Just before she was set to leave on her eight week vacation, she exercised one of the outs and told them she wouldn't be back.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, howmanywords said:

Seriously? Half the cast is going ?wow !! This is very bad !! 

9 hours ago, QueenSerena said:

You're correct, Claire has been recast.

Oh hell no. A legacy character butchered !! This should have been the new Marlena.

Belle and Shawn should have divorced with Claire being their only kid.  A grandchild of Bo ,Hope ,Marlena and John turned into a cheap ripoff of Jan Spears ,Kristen and Ali McIntyre (Mike Horton's ex ) . What a damn shame !! It was written in the stars that such a legacy kid with ties to all the families would be groomed to be the next marlena and everybody's best friend.

No doubt that with this recast ,Claire's trajectory into lunacy will continue.  Ugh!

• Love 2

I'm trying to get a handle on all these people with inside info and who is legit. Lysie I know is definitely reliable but is Alan? I know he's given inside info in the past but when he dropped the bit about VK leaving, someone else who claims to know people at DAYS contacted their source and called Alan a liar saying VK only took off for a couple of weeks for a family emergency..then again this person was a CIN so maybe they just wanted to discount him? Alan also says the Claire recast is 30ish.

• Love 1

I think it will be hard for them to replace ORK. She's played the character too high strung, but been a fun on-screen presence and anything but lifeless. She's also very pretty and fits in well with the cast. I would like to think them hiring a new actress would mean they will reset Claire and move her away from being twitchy pyromaniac, but I don't have that much faith in them.

I remember hearing VK was leaving the show almost a year ago, so without being able to answer your question, howmanywords, I would say it's possible she's going. I think that's kind of crazy considering how much propping and attention her character has been getting, but maybe she has a better offer somewhere or her priorities have shifted.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, howmanywords said:

DAYS contacted their source and called Alan a liar saying VK only took off for a couple of weeks for a family emergency..then again this person was a CIN so maybe they just wanted to discount him? Alan also says the Claire recast is 30ish.

I kind of question the family emergency thing.  If it were a family emergency, wouldn't they have needed to bring in a quick temporary recast which is apparently not the case?  They haven't been on set for about four months so did this family emergency just happen to take place right before the pandemic which is why people think she's gone gone? 

I mean it's absolutely possible it could be temporary, especially since pilot season was pretty much a bust this year.  I could see her coming back until next pilot season. 

• Love 2

It seems TPTB cancelling everyone’s contract was a get out of jail free card for the actors. I think a lot of them got a push and said I’m getting the flock out of here. Granted, some were let go (mostly the guys) but now it seems a bunch decided not to return in September. It’s pretty crazy with the mass exodus but DAYS cancelling contracts,  taping schedule along with the pandemic created a firestorm. Now, we have to see how it lands. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Well, part of me feels bad for the CIN fans who feel like they just got gutted. This coming right after the wedding has to sting..but then, as I said upthread these people were brutal to Alan when he broke the news weeks ago. Downright nasty. So there's that part of me who doesnt feel bad. Oh well. Dare we hope we'll see less of Ben now?

ETA: and now they are attacking Ron. Because obviously it was his decision!? 😂

Edited by howmanywords
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, howmanywords said:

...Lysie I know is definitely reliable but is Alan? I know he's given inside info in the past but when he dropped the bit about VK leaving, someone else who claims to know people at DAYS contacted their source and called Alan a liar saying VK only took off for a couple of weeks for a family emergency..then again this person was a CIN so maybe they just wanted to discount him? Alan also says the Claire recast is 30ish.

The thing to remember is that he's an absolute troll with some inside info. Lysie thinks he's wrong about whoever he's insinuating are the (unnamed) last 2 to go. I don't care for either of them, but Alan especially will post stuff just to get a rise out of very specific groups of soap fans.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I had heard that VK wanted out a while ago (I remember reading that she and ORK were friends in real life), but she signed an agreement to stay for the duration of her storyline. I agree that the show cancelling everyone's contracts and then bringing them back as needed was a real boost for some of the younger cast who wanted to see what else there was. I anticipate seeing a lot more of them in upcoming Lifetime movies! What I don't know is if Gwen is going to be around for a while. I haven't read many positive reviews of the actress or the character, but this might be a good chance for her to remain, because they will need someone - especially if Camila is really gone (which I have not seen anything official).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, howmanywords said:

Well, part of me feels bad for the CIN fans who feel like they just got gutted.

I can feel for them but there were rumors she was almost out last time she renewed (extended) her contract and that it was short term.  It sucks but it does seem like it was her choice, not about money and a little inevitable given her life stage. I wonder how much longer she would have filmed if it hadn't been for Covid.

31 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

because they will need someone - especially if Camila is really gone (which I have not seen anything official).

I really don't think replacing a latina actress with a white actress is a smart idea.  Insiders claim she is gone; although apparently she's saying she's not. 

• Love 3

I remember when VK showed up, people said she had CW/Freeform potential written all over her. Not surprised she left. It's a dying media form in the United States and she really needs to do something else to ensure she has a long career.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

@Irlandesa, I was not saying that they would use Gwen as a replacement for Gabi - just that if more female actresses left, they would need to keep who they already have while they may recast.

Oh I didn't mean that directly to you even though I was responding to something you said. It's not your fault.  I actually think DOOL getting rid of the Hernandez family and its two gay character in general isn't a good look. That's on them.  Not the fans.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Apparently, the new actress who plays Claire is 28. That’s quite the SORAS! Are we to believe Belle gave birth at age 15?

Those purity rings didn't age well eh?

However this is strangely not as bad as what Y&R did with Lily when they made her kids teenagers and the actress was in her early 30s.

18 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I agree with the pairing of Hope & Aiden. She & Cosgrove got along great & you could tell from their chemistry. Then the writers had to F it up to be all soapy. So dumb. I would hope she’d come back if Bill Hayes were to depart but it doesn’t sound like it. She really seems firm-firm on her decision. At least, she is doing it on her own terms. With everyone leaving Days must be saving a lot money. 

It turned out to damage Hope and Ciara to a lesser extent in the long run as they never really recovered from that and it was all for naught because Bo left shortly after and Hope was lost.

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I kind of question the family emergency thing.  If it were a family emergency, wouldn't they have needed to bring in a quick temporary recast which is apparently not the case?  They haven't been on set for about four months so did this family emergency just happen to take place right before the pandemic which is why people think she's gone gone? 

I mean it's absolutely possible it could be temporary, especially since pilot season was pretty much a bust this year.  I could see her coming back until next pilot season. 

Well VK's father died then she also had another relative with Alzheimer's end up missing so I think that might've been the family emergency.

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I remember when VK showed up, people said she had CW/Freeform potential written all over her. Not surprised she left. It's a dying media form in the United States and she really needs to do something else to ensure she has a long career.

Yeah, if you’re young and doing a soap the rule is 3 years and bolt. Then you CW, Hallmark, Lifetime & everything in between your life away. LOL!!!! It’s sort of what Ryan Paevey from GH did. Granted he was a little older but I knew he would make a good living doing those shows and he has. Of course, it doesn’t work for everyone but a few do well. If you’re really lucky and somewhat talented you might end up on Netflix. I agree that VK has that look. Unfortunately, all these people are in the same boat with the pandemic. No one is working now. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Paul Telfer and Linsey Godfrey just confirmed on Twitter that they aren’t leaving the show. I’m personally glad.

Me too!

• Love 9
8 hours ago, howmanywords said:

Well, part of me feels bad for the CIN fans who feel like they just got gutted. This coming right after the wedding has to sting..but then, as I said upthread these people were brutal to Alan when he broke the news weeks ago. Downright nasty. So there's that part of me who doesnt feel bad. Oh well. Dare we hope we'll see less of Ben now?

ETA: and now they are attacking Ron. Because obviously it was his decision!? 😂

Not me.  Like I said before, they were celebrating when the Freddie and Chandler news came out.  Now that it’s official, I’m laughing.  Because I can be petty like that.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Paul Telfer and Linsey Godfrey just confirmed on Twitter that they aren’t leaving the show. I’m personally glad.

**crosses fingers*** let it be Sal, so Eli can be paired with anyone else.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Apparently, the new actress who plays Claire is 28. That’s quite the SORAS! Are we to believe Belle gave birth at age 15?

Do we have a name? Maybe she looks young and will just be playing younger.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, superdeluxe said:

Not me.  Like I said before, they were celebrating when the Freddie and Chandler news came out.  Now that it’s official, I’m laughing.  Because I can be petty like that.

This is nuts to me. I mean, I know by now not to even try and make sense of some of the bizarre shit these OTT fanbases do but why on earth would CIN fans care about Sonny and Will leaving? Did they think Will was going to try and take Ben from Ciara?

Oh the drama though. Its actually pretty funny. Some CIN fans dared to say they are open to a Ciara recast and another set of fan are calling them fake fans for suggesting such a thing. Then some seem to be in denial about VK being gone for good. IMO these tantrums of theirs are why they are phrasing the official PR as saying she wont be full time. Look at the tweets of the other cast members (especially Ron saying "hope you visit one day") Her departure sure as heck sounds final.

• Love 4

Given my shock, disgust and disappointment over the recasting of Kristen, a role I never thought anyone but Eileen Davidson would play, I'm going to let everybody have their freak-outs and cut them some slack. It's going to be a really weird 12 months on this show and the next few are going to be especially tricky depending on how all these characters are written out and who takes their places...

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Kristian is really glad to have left DOOL after reading this. I guess she saved up her pennies and said bye bitches!

https://people.com/tv/kristian-alfonso-opens-up-about-her-days-of-our-lives-exit/

Well that and she's not poor either her husband is a multimillionaire.

Or maybe she has another gig lined up and hasn't announced it yet? Days always seems to be in the news if some drama occurs. Honestly this interview isn't really that scandalous. I've seen worse exit interviews of soap actors.

• Love 1