Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Totally.  Because last time, Laura wasn't really in a major story, IIRC.  She and Scotty randomly remarried, randomly divorced, and then she was gone.  If he knew back at the end of 2017 he was going to do this, letting the writers tee up this major story that they had to very obviously pivot her out of at the last second was a weird way to handle this.

Are Kevin and Laura going to have an offscreen marriage or will Jon be leaving and Kevin be shipped off to France to be with Laura? Jon will not be pleased if the show even thinks about introducing cheating into this story as an excuse for a randomly quick divorce, given his feelings on Kevin/Lucy.

It rather eliminates the idea of Kevin running for mayor now if his wife is in France permanently.  The writers must be freaking out.  Who can they run against Ned? Molly? Alexis?  Julian?  Do they want that much of Stella?  Talk Felicia into running again?

Please, don't let it be Nina!  Or Valentin.

10 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I would hate to lose Jon Lindstrom.  And honestly, if the writers found a way to pivot back to Kevin/Lucy, I'd be on board

I am happy that Jon and Genie are/were happy, but Kevin and Laura still doesn't make sense to me and that they broke up Kevin and Lucy is a travesty. I want Genie around but I also want those two to find other partners, which Laura will never do if it's going to cost GH more money. Which is why they put her with Kevin in the first place, to save money.

1 hour ago, jsbt said:

And I think that explains his still-baffling prominence on the show. I have no idea why a dude who has not been hot on soaps since like 1992 - in a fairly forgotten character to anyone but the diehards (sorry Will Cortlandt fans) - is headlining GH.

I think for some reason FV thinks because he has some primetime credits he's some big coup.

JPS has talked about how GF and Jonathan Frakes used to have him over for dinner, so he's probably not too thrilled.

ETA: This is what he said:

“She was like a big sister to me,” he says fondly. “She and Jonathan [Frakes, her husband] used to take me out to dinner and order more Chinese food than was necessary so they could send me home with some, because they knew that I was living by myself.”

22 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I saw on Twitter that someone on the DC podcast said that Michael Easton makes more money than ALL the female performers?  If that's true, THE FUCK?

I was listening, I think he just said "the women". I have my doubts, but who knows. 

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

I don't think I'd be too surprised if the salary rumor turned out to be true. Based on that embarrassing grocery store video, FV is an ME stan. And given that RoHo and ME were getting leading man treatment when they were first transferred over as Todd and McBain from OLTL, they were probably getting comparable salaries to Mo and SBu. I don't think either of them is even close to worth it. 

Speaking of FV's worthless hires - How is MS still on contract when he's trying to drop Genie Fuckin' Francis to recurring? Has he somehow convinced himself that Y&R is going to drop GT and snatch up Michelle Stafford if she becomes available again? 

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Oracle42 said:

I don't think I'd be too surprised if the salary rumor turned out to be true. Based on that embarrassing grocery store video, FV is an ME stan. Given that RoHo and ME were getting leading man treatment when they were first transferred over as Todd and McBain from OLTL they were probably getting comparable salaries to Mo and SBu I don't think either of them is even close to worth it. 

Speaking of FV's worthless hires - How is MS still on contract when he's trying to drop Genie Fuckin' Francis to recurring? Has he somehow convinced himself that Y&R is going to drop GT and snatch up Michelle Stafford if she becomes available again? 

Now that it's no longer a spoiler that RP is leaving and Nathan will be killed off, how is MS/Nina still on canvas, much less on contract? Her hasty marriage to Valentin doesn't give her a deep family connection to the Cassadines and I do NOT want to see her get creepily attached to Maxie's baby.

5 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Now that it's no longer a spoiler that RP is leaving and Nathan will be killed off

It's still a spoiler. I think. It still hasn't been officially announced by the show, I don't think.

Edited by ulkis

Awkward for Finola Hughes. Everyone else can have a great bitch session.

11 hours ago, ulkis said:

JPS has talked about how GF and Jonathan Frakes used to have him over for dinner, so he's probably not too thrilled.

ETA: This is what he said:

“She was like a big sister to me,” he says fondly. “She and Jonathan [Frakes, her husband] used to take me out to dinner and order more Chinese food than was necessary so they could send me home with some, because they knew that I was living by myself.”

That's real empathy. They sound like good people. (Jonathan Frakes was on the AfterTrek show last. He seems like a nice guy and generous towards the actors. )

12 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:
12 hours ago, LexieLily said:

What about JPS? They went through *a lot* to make Valentin happen and he's onscreen a majority of the week and has been since he started.

But surprisingly, JPS is still only recurring.

That might be at JPS's request. Recurring cuts both ways: The actor is at the mercy of the writing but can also take other work when not at GH.

12 hours ago, jsbt said:

The bigger issue right now though is that no one would ever consider giving Genie Francis - or any woman in soaps, IMO - that kind of leverage that FV is, grudgingly or enthusiastically, willing to give to Burton or Benard or Roger Howarth, or to make allowances for his other personal favorites who cannot support the show.

Talk about something that gives me a rage blackout!

40 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I do wonder how FH managed to avoid the recurring vet status. I'm glad, but wondering.

She also got a set for her Anna's home even though she is the only character that lives there. So maybe they like her. 

3 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Really, Frank ('s intern), REALLY?!?!

Twitter is absolutely RIPPING Frank to shreds about his lack of tact and self-awareness in tweeting that today of all days, and also promoting Nelle/more pictures of Jason, Sonny, Carly

44 minutes ago, SnK said:

Why would he tweet that to GF?    Maybe we really don't know the entire story of what went down. 

I assume they write these promotional tweets ahead of time, but still, again, dude, have some awareness of the optics!

Something tells me Frank and co. thought they could get away with pining Genie Francis' exit on her.  "Well we offered to let her recur, but the ungrateful bitch didn't want to do that!" seems to be a bit of the vibe I'm getting from the headlines.  They're not about her getting fired, they're about her being demoted.

17 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

And given that RoHo and ME were getting leading man treatment when they were first transferred over as Todd and McBain from OLTL, they were probably getting comparable salaries to Mo and SBu. I don't think either of them is even close to worth it. 

Mo and SBu aren't even close to worth it either.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

Mo and SBu aren't even close to worth it either.

No, they aren't. BUT if we're gonna have overpaid slugs on this show, at least Burton and Benard have been on GH for years stinkin' up the joint. Howarth and Easton had no history. But if all 4 got the money train stopped by the network, I wouldn't cry.

9 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Talk about something that gives me a rage blackout!

Especially when you consider just a small sampling of acting: SB's Jason when he thought Jake had died in a hit-n-run,  GF's Laura when she thought Lucky died in a fire,  MB's Sonny when he thought Morgan died in a car explosion (because I think it's a given that Morgan will be recast).  Genie's acting made my heart break for Laura.  Not so much for those guys.

Becky's job has been saved twice, once when JFP outright fired her and once when FV lowballed her renewal. I can't remember the timeframe on the last because I'd given up the show at that point and still barely watch in spurts occasionally today. I think it's worse, myself. AFAIK Becky's axing never made EW or TV Line, and this is also a very unique performer, situation and moment in time.

Edited by jsbt

I think Frank severely underestimated the backlash on this one. EW did a feature on Genie being bumped. When wa the last time the mainstream media got involved in soapdom? Luke and Laura? Wonder if ABCD will make him take her back? And if she’d go back?

If I were Genie I'd treat this as a blessing and go look for work on a show that valued me. I get that people who love her will miss her, but IDK. True love means setting something or someone free, especially if that is what's best for them. Yes, roles for women in Hollywood are scarce, but I wouldn't want my fave back on this show for all the tea in China. This show thinks showcasing murderers and the women who love them, is a good thing. THOSE characters are the "stars" of the show now. Characters with integrity-even characters with conditional integrity, like the Qs-they are not welcome here anymore. If you aren't a killer or the SO defending that killer, you have no place on this GH.

I say run Genie, count your blessings, and don't look back. And if it means you have to create a brand new career for yourself, so be it. Shed no tears over GH. This show has been deserving a crash and burn for YEARS now.

• Love 1

I say run too but I like fans calling out this show’s blatant sexism when it comes to Genie and her value to this show.  They conveniently forget that it was Luke and freaking Laura.  It’s honestly infuriating.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, jsbt said:

Becky's job has been saved twice, once when JFP outright fired her and once when FV lowballed her renewal. I can't remember the timeframe on the last because I'd given up the show at that point and still barely watch in spurts occasionally today. I think it's worse, myself. AFAIK Becky's axing never made EW or TV Line, and this is also a very unique performer, situation and moment in time.

I believe that was within the first few months of 2016. I think it was only over a few weeks to a month, though, not very long. 

12 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Others that are more in the know, can you explain to me when and how Becky got fired/almost got fired? Is the Genie outrage worse than that time?

In early 2011, Becky was let go. Twitter (and social media in general) was not QUITE the same force it is now (and Instagram wasn't even a thing yet), but her fanbase was organized enough that TPTB took notice and rehired her shortly after. Whether or not that or JFP standing up to Brian Frons in her defense saved her job, though, is up for debate.

This is KIND of similar in terms of reaction, but for some reason I still think what happened to Becky was worse in terms of public outrage, probably because it was early 2011, just a few months before the cancellation of AMC and OLTL was announced. The environment was different in that there were more soaps left, even though GL and ATWT had already been cancelled.

OTOH, I can see how the #MeToo Movement--and Genie's fame outside of daytime because of L&L--might make this reaction much worse. YMMV. 

Edited by UYI
5 hours ago, Sake614 said:

I think Frank severely underestimated the backlash on this one. EW did a feature on Genie being bumped. When wa the last time the mainstream media got involved in soapdom? Luke and Laura? Wonder if ABCD will make him take her back? And if she’d go back?

Every once in awhile I'll still see GH make mainstream news, like when SBu's return was announced. The quality of the show may be much worse, but GH's unique place in pop culture means that it will always get a bit more mainstream press than most daytime soaps ever have. 

And Vanessa Marcil brought them some mainstream press during her original GH run from 1992-1998, especially because of her friendship with Prince (and the music video of his that she was in). 

Edited by UYI

I think the reaction to BH seemed worse, and I'd hazard to say it was probably because they had brought back JJ as Lucky and did nothing with him and Liz, killed Liz's son, and then put another actress on contract to play Lucky's love interest and then let go of BH right after that. 

I'm pretty sure BH was hired back pretty quickly . . . about two days or so later.

3 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I think the reaction to BH seemed worse, and I'd hazard to say it was probably because they had brought back JJ as Lucky and did nothing with him and Liz, killed Liz's son, and then put another actress on contract to play Lucky's love interest and then let go of BH right after that. 

I'm pretty sure BH was hired back pretty quickly . . . about two days or so later.

Yup. I remember reading how the storyline was going to be about Liz going crazy after Jake's death or something and being sent off to the Funny Farm, A la Laura, when Genie went cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs after "remembering" she "Killed" Rick. Yeah, still bitter over that bunch of revisionist bullshit retcon.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Kin spoke out (well, tweeted) publicly in support of Genie today. Are all the other GH castmates afraid to do the same? Where is NLG? Jon, Emme, JPS?

I also find it funny how Kmc has been crickets on it considering her "rah rah women" all over twitter & how she's stuck up for other castmates in the past.  It's very interesting.

49 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Kin spoke out (well, tweeted) publicly in support of Genie today. Are all the other GH castmates afraid to do the same? Where is NLG? Jon, Emme, JPS?

I'd have to imagine that the contract players aren't allowed to be all, "Forget you, Dad!" about their employer whereas Kin has a little more leeway as a recurring.

Edited by TeeVee329

We can assume Frank has no special affinity for Jon and Emme but with JPS being one of the chosen pets, plus close personally to Genie, I thought if someone would speak it would be him. 

And goodness knows Nancy usually can't keep her mouth shut.

4 hours ago, ulkis said:

BH was replaced briefly because she had viral meningitis, almost RIGHT after she was rehired, so it wasn't related to her being let go. It was just a WEIRD coincidence. 

ETA: Sorry, I'm stupid. You were talking about Siobhan, duh. 

Edited by UYI
On 1/21/2018 at 7:02 PM, ulkis said:

What the heck?

I'm so glad I'm not crazy! I was looking for that scene the other day after I mentioned it in another thread (about how Sonny was a big dick even after AJ was laying on the floor), but then I couldn't find it.