Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Another thought - Laura Wright's boyfriend doesn't need to be on contract.

I can't believe he is.  Is he going to be a spoiler for Lulu and Dante's marriage?

As for GF, maybe they're still trying to find the money to pay whatshisface for coming back.  The evil me hopes the ratings drop like a stone.  The show looks just like it did back in the day when I stopped watching, for years.  Only now we have Jason Squared and Carly Squared.  Thankfully, there's only one Sonny.  But, now, zero Lauras?  There's a lot wrong with this picture. 

• Love 3

Despite what you think about Kevin and Laura and their relationship, I don't think there can be much disagreement that KevLaur is the healthiest relationship GH has/had. Two people finding each other later in life, healing the hurt parts of each other's hearts, treating each other with love and mutual respect. They communicate with very little drama and neither of them want to cheat as a go-to response to anger. I can't imagine in this day and age this show is ignorant to the value of highlighting that.

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

Here's a thought, get rid of worthless ass Nina, Valentin and Franco

Now that James Franco has a few sexual assault allegations against him, I do wonder if that means that the character's days are numbered. That character may have another actor in the role now, but it was named AFTER the actor who is now in hot water. That's a PR nightmare. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Alas, he'll be fine. No one's paying attention to GH.

Hey, don't challenge my unbridled optimism! :P

You never know. The #MeToo Movement is forcing everyone to turn over every stone they can. And like I said, the fact that the character is named after JF is just a reminder no one needs. 

• Love 1

This really pisses me off.  I don't watch for the Trio of Stupid and Suck; I watch mainly for Genie, Finola, Kevin, Ned, infrequent Mac sightings. (Before last year Jane E. would have topped the list.)  In the soap in my head these are the characters that should be running Port Charles.  And now that Billy is Drew and head of Aurora, he would have been a perfect business foil for Ned instead of sad sack Michael.

I wanted more Laura and Kevin Collins, not less.  Or worse, nothing.

Van Etten was just starting to show glimmers of story: planting non-mob seeds, more scenes for Monica, a slow build for FH and ME, Laura's mayoral campaign, and an occasional nod to show history. 

Damn, I hate the Corinthi.

Frank is an ass. 

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, ulkis said:

http://soapcentral.com/gh/news/2018/0120-genie_francis_out.php

Sounds like hyperbole but he is the one who tweeted about GF the other day, so maybe not.

A dozen or so episodes per year? Oscar got more than that. Joss got more than that. Nelle got more than that in her first month!!

4 minutes ago, amaranta said:

I wanted more Laura and Kevin Collins, not less.  Or worse, nothing.

What happens to Jon Lindstrom/Kevin now that Genie/Laura is gone?

• Love 1

I shouldn't be, but I'm amazed at how poorly GH continually treats its actresses, especially GF. She built this fakakta show, and she still has to scrape and claw for anything that remotely resembles what she deserves? It's appalling and enraging. I truly don't understand why they treat her this way.

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

A dozen or so episodes per year?

Insane!  It's that true, I'm glad she told him to shove it. 

And I'd bet Frank only wanted Laura on-screen when Nicolas Bechtel was free to appear, barf.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Insane!  It's that true, I'm glad she told him to shove it. 

And I'd bet Frank only wanted Laura on-screen when Nicolas Bechtel was free to appear, barf.

I'm sure that is what it was. Summers when Nicky was free from his Disney show.

• Love 1

Frank Valentini: How could they not nominate us, we're telling topical stories about gay adoption and gender identity!

Chris Van Etten: ..you do remember that those stories are taking place off-screen, right?

Frank Valentini: ...

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I'm sure that is what it was. Summers when Nicky was free from his Disney show.

Did people not already surmise this, because I did like two years ago

The way Genie is being treated is sexist as hell, and I don't think I can watch anymore.  And i mean that  in this way - I want to watch, but I think it will make me so sick to my stomach everytime some useless old overpaid, over worshiped male is on screen (cough Maurice cough), and then I'll think of the absent Genie.

No I can't do it.  

• Love 6

Sorry to the remaining viewers, but flush this turd of a show. It's never going to get better. It's forever Corinthii and Friends and Spit On Vets! With a dash of Frank's Featured Pet Actors from Other Soaps.

Who cares?

• Love 1

As much as I am going to miss Laura, I am proud of Genie Francis for walking away rather than take the crumbs the producers were offering her.  Genie is in a position that she is well off enough and does not need their crumbs.  She has money of her own plus her husband keeps raking in those Star Trek:TNG royalties.  Genie is standing up for herself and refusing to go along to get along.  What happens to actresses on this show is disgusting.  As they get older they cast aside to "recurring status land" while the male actors continue to be the stars of the show.  If Tony Geary had not retired he would still be front and center even though he had been phoning it in for years.  Maurice Benard has not only been phoning it in, he dictates his storylines to the detriment of the show.  Steve Burton was allowed to promote his MonaVie juice/pyramid scheme as a part of a storyline, yet they begged to get him back and are giving him a front burner story along with big bucks.  They even fired another actress, RB, to afford him.  Genie has the courage to walk away and risk potentially be labeled as "difficult" thus ending her career.  I hope her fans become very vocal in their displeasure of this horrible  behavior of the producers.  This discrimination of of older (over 35) actresses has got to stop.    

• Love 1
10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Sorry to the remaining viewers, but flush this turd of a show. It's never going to get better. It's forever Corinthii and Friends and Spit On Vets! With a dash of Frank's Featured Pet Actors from Other Soaps.

Who cares?

This might be too earnest an answer. but I could see ABC feel the embarrassment of being the first network to be without any soaps--since CBS has two left, the network with that distinction will be either ABC or NBC...and no matter indifferent either network may be to their remaining soaps now (although I'd argue that ABC is more indifferent now to GH than NBC is to Days), I can see both of them wanting to avoid that dishonor as much as possible.

Add to the fact that, at the height of the 80's soap boom, that ABC's soaps were BY FAR the most successful, and I can see seeming even more embarrassing.

And while there are many fans here who go online and rant and rave about their soaps, there are still plenty of older fans who aren't as savvy with forums like these who see it as their daily escape, a habit they have always had. That might not be as common as it used to be, but those people are still out there.

Again, maybe it's my fault for not being cynical enough (and hypocritical--I haven't watched GH in a long time, either), but I wanted to bring up that first point in particular, because I CAN see that being in the back of the TPTB's heads. 

Not sure if I find this move more sexist or more ageist, either way a big FU to General Hospital.

Hey here's a great idea!

Soap Dude 2 @Soap_Dude2

I'm gonna need @ABCNetwork to make room on the schedule for retro airings of #GH, starting from say 1978 or so, but keep airing current #GH, and see who gets better ratings: Luke & Laura or the League of Wannabe Super Bad guys?

7:52 AM - Jan 21, 2018

Edited by okwmember
Media didn't attach
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, SnK said:

Where's outspoken NLG on this?

I'm sure we'll hear nothing from her

There are other female cast members preaching the same women RAH RAH and crickets as well about Genie.

4 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

As much as I am going to miss Laura, I am proud of Genie Francis for walking away rather than take the crumbs the producers were offering her.

I think in this case though FV was expecting her to walk. He knows she does not want to work without a contract. She might have accomadated him. Now he can say well GF chose to walk.

This discrimination of of older (over 35) actresses has got to stop.

I don't think in this case it has to do with age, not anymore. KM is 41. MW is 45, MS is 52. It's not SIMPLY about who FV prefers but it has a lot to do with it. 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, ulkis said:
5 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

As much as I am going to miss Laura, I am proud of Genie Francis for walking away rather than take the crumbs the producers were offering her.

I think in this case though FV was expecting her to walk. He knows she does not want to work without a contract. She might have accomadated him. Now he can say well GF chose to walk.

That could be partially true but I think he would have back burnered Laura if he was trying to get Genie to walk.  Laura with or without Kevin has been front and center recently.  It seems like the writers did not have a clue about what FV was planning and I bet they are really pissed.  Laura had a great storyline that had to be quickly scrapped.  Because of this I think FV really thought he could not give Genie a contract and she would stick around wait for Laura to be needed to prop up Lulu.  I think he let the writers follow thru with a great storyline for Laura because he was counting on Genie to want to see Laura's story play out.  After all the years she has embodied the character of Laura Vining Webber Baldwin Spencer Cassidine Spencer Baldwin Collins, Genie Francis deserved better.  I think FV was playing a high stakes game and although he doesn't realize it yet.....he lost bigtime.

2 hours ago, okwmember said:

Not sure if I find this move more sexist or more ageist, either way a big FU to General Hospital.

Hey here's a great idea!

Soap Dude 2 @Soap_Dude2

I'm gonna need @ABCNetwork to make room on the schedule for retro airings of #GH, starting from say 1978 or so, but keep airing current #GH, and see who gets better ratings: Luke & Laura or the League of Wannabe Super Bad guys?

7:52 AM - Jan 21, 2018

Oh, they'd never do it. But I would like to see that just to compare Luke/Laura to Laura/Kevin and see what all the L/L fuss was about.

This is what the official GH Twitter chose to promote today. One day after bumping Genie Francis to recurring and soap Twitter has banded together in outrage and their support of Genie and the need for Laura Spencer Collins on the canvas. Many of the soap magazine writers have been calling them out as well.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

This is what the official GH Twitter chose to promote today. One day after bumping Genie Francis to recurring and soap Twitter has banded together in outrage and their support of Genie and the need for Laura Spencer Collins on the canvas. Many of the soap magazine writers have been calling them out as well.

Laura's face insults me on a daily basis. How can someone be so arrogant with their expressions?  Yuck.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ulkis said:

I don't think he has that cover anymore. "#FireFrank" is getting some traction. The last time that happened with GH Ron Carlivati lost his job. Now, do I think Frank will lose his job? No. He's too cheap and they don't care about bringing in anyone else. Do I think he may be pressured because of this moment in the industry to bend re: Genie? Yes.

Things are a little different now for soaps with these kind of moves. Not nearly as much as other parts of showbiz, but social media has empowered fans a bit more. I don't think Becky would've kept her job a while back without it.

Genie supposedly had a year left on her contract. I knew Frank would get her back for forcing him to give her one when he didn't want to, not in '13 or '15.

Edited by jsbt

It's how he is, at least according to many stories over the years. He avoids drama, fibs to worried actors, then does what he wants.

Solidarity from the Great Bird of Llanview PA:

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, ulkis said:

https://secure-hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/a/4/5/a450a043d74f306b/DC_878.mp3?c_id=18738970&expiration=1516594465&hwt=9b67dce417937d7b061617026321e95e

Daytime Confidential did a podcast about GF. JG says that FV told her she was being taken off contract and when GF tried to talk to him later she was told he didn't have the time at the moment. 

He also says that he was told FV has tried to call her and she refused to take his calls.

*snort* Good for her. I have to wonder how the other actors are feeling as they hear all of this trickling out in the media, especially the ones that work closely with Genie like Jon, Emme, even JPS. 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, jsbt said:

It's how he (Frank) is, at least according to many stories over the years. He avoids drama, fibs to worried actors, then does what he wants.

I will never forget that story Scott Clifton told after getting fired by Frank at OLTL, that he was worried he was going to be written out when he saw scripts with his character Schuyler going to prison and went to Frank to ask what the deal was (I'm not sure if I'm remembering this part right, but I think he had just or was just about to buy a place or sign a lease or something?) and Frank was all, "What are you talking about, that's crazy, we have so much good stuff coming for you!" and then he got the axe.

I mean, it's show business and it's soaps, people are constantly getting hired and fired.  But his ignorance of the optics in this case is startling.  We know you just put Laura Wright's boyfriend on contract, Frank, at the same time you were ditching Genie Francis.  Not.  A.  Good Look.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

And the thing is, that shit with Scott Clifton wasn't even the first time he did that! He used to do that sort of dance all the time. I think he still does, I just can't recall any GH stories offhand. I know there are some.

Edited by jsbt
11 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Who are his friends? Mo, SBu, MS, RoHo?

Mo, Stafford, Roho, Billy, Kelly in my mind at least.  Roho has had some bad contract talks though, so who knows about him.  Maura?  LW?

I'd say the word is still out on Burton.   I don't think he liked him very much first go round, maybe things changed now.  

14 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Who are his friends? Mo, SBu, MS, RoHo?

Nicolas Bechtel.

1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

What about JPS? They went through *a lot* to make Valentin happen and he's onscreen a majority of the week and has been since he started.

But surprisingly, JPS is still only recurring.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I mean, it's show business and it's soaps, people are constantly getting hired and fired.  But his ignorance of the optics in this case is startling.  We know you just put Laura Wright's boyfriend on contract, Frank, at the same time you were ditching Genie Francis.  Not.  A.  Good Look.

Especially when not even two weeks ago there was Sarah Joy Brown tweeting about how she made half or a third of what Mo and Steve made, and Vanessa's tweets insinuating the same, and this is the weekend of the Women's March. And this is the fall/winter of #MeToo and gender inequality in the workplace and especially in Hollywood. Not to mention how apparently the writers knew nothing of Genie being fired until Frank did it and had to scramble to write her out of the long-term mayor story they planned for her.

1 minute ago, TeeVee329 said:

That surprised me, too. Clearly there are different levels of recurring, if Frank only wanted Genie for twelve freaking episodes a year.

I don't think Frank has a great deal of love for Steve Burton; they clashed hard in 2012, both jockeying for control. Steve had been king a long time and FV deposed him, and IMO it was the right thing to do. The difference is Burton, like Benard, has a lot of power as a long-running leading male, and when Frank lost him last time to Y&R he'd actually hoped to keep him on GH, recurring, on a string. So when he lost that game Frank was humbled a bit, and eventually he had to play ball when Steve became available again. He goes where he thinks the power is, and getting and keeping Steve this time was a priority for him, like him or not.

I don't know Frank Valentini, I just know a lot of supposed anecdotes of behavior. But I think like most of us human beings he can be contradictory; I think sometimes he lets personal stuff get into his behavior (OLTL people, Nicolas Bechtel, etc.), and then with other stuff he's reportedly ice cold and focused on the bottom line. So even when he and Steve clashed years ago he put it aside and focused on what he felt was good for the show, which was bringing him back last year. Similar behavior happened with people at OLTL as well. I don't like Burton or want him on the show, but from the standpoint of an EP trying to keep GH on the air, I understand that business perspective. But I think that imbalance in his two facets has heightened in recent years, especially after losing Ron when he apparently became convinced he alone could steer GH. I think he's fallen victim to JFP syndrome from her own days at OLTL, when she was ghostwriting the show for awhile.

The bigger issue right now though is that no one would ever consider giving Genie Francis - or any woman in soaps, IMO - that kind of leverage that FV is, grudgingly or enthusiastically, willing to give to Burton or Benard or Roger Howarth, or to make allowances for his other personal favorites who cannot support the show. Hell, Vanessa Marcil allegedly couldn't get it a few years ago, and she is fucking Queen Brenda.

7 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

And I think that explains his still-baffling prominence on the show. I have no idea why a dude who has not been hot on soaps since like 1992 - in a fairly forgotten character to anyone but the diehards (sorry Will Cortlandt fans) - is headlining GH.

Edited by jsbt

I really think Frank thought he could play Genie like the other vets (like poor Lynn Herring, who I feel he lures back every year with the promise of more story because he understands the optics of Lucy fronting the Nurses' Ball), but dude, she's not like the other vets.  

And unspoken is that, if Tony Geary wanted to be there, Frank would never try and pull this kinda thing.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I really think Frank thought he could play Genie like the other vets (like poor Lynn Herring, who I feel he lures back every year with the promise of more story because he understands the optics of Lucy fronting the Nurses' Ball), but dude, she's not like the other vets.  

And unspoken is that, if Tony Geary wanted to be there, Frank would never try and pull this kinda thing.

Oh, that was spoken on the podcast, that Frank wouldn't dare to pull this shit with TG.

• Love 1

It's absolutely what he tried with Genie in '13, which led to her abrupt exit that time too. Frank has always relied on recurring players, mostly veterans, who he can cycle in and out of story cheaply - and to a point, that can work if they're played well in heavy rotation. Sometimes it worked at OLTL and early on at GH when they used them regularly, and other times (mostly in recent years) it failed.

I was amazed he tried it with Genie fucking Francis in the show's anniversary year back then though, because as you say Genie is different. That he didn't realize that and was trying to put her in the Lucy/Scott/Duke/Bobbie [and worse, Felicia/Mac] bin amazed me.* From then on I knew he would only give her a long-term contract through gritted teeth. I was frankly surprised it happened. I'm not surprised this did (or that her only love interest was a recurring veteran, and her story was next to nothing), but I am surprised ABC let it happen at this moment in our culture. I'm also surprised Frank did it while letting Van Etten and co. tee up story for Laura running for mayor. He's slipping.

* - I also highly suspect this is what happened with an alleged offer to bring back Stephen Nichols as Stefan at a time when Nichols has confirmed he was approached and Ron Carlivati was writing in constant mentions of Stefan, but that's just me guessing lol

Edited by jsbt
4 minutes ago, jsbt said:

I'm also surprised Frank did it while letting Van Etten and co. tee up story for Laura running for mayor. He's slipping.

Totally.  Because last time, Laura wasn't really in a major story, IIRC.  She and Scotty randomly remarried, randomly divorced, and then she was gone.  If he knew back at the end of 2017 he was going to do this, letting the writers tee up this major story that they had to very obviously pivot her out of at the last second was a weird way to handle this.

32 minutes ago, jsbt said:

And I think that explains his still-baffling prominence on the show. I have no idea why a dude who has not been hot on soaps since like 1992 - in a fairly forgotten character to anyone but the diehards (sorry Will Cortlandt fans) - is headlining GH.

The fact that Will is mostly remembered for having half of Pine Valley being suspected of murdering him should be a sign right there of how memorable he was.