Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Yikes regarding everyone in the path of the fires!  :(     Stay safe, California people!!

I will say, as grim and unwatchable and mean-spirited as the actual show became (in my opinion, anyway), the cast seems to get along well.   That tweet from FH's co-star about her house being in danger was very sweet. 

• Love 3

I miss the days of Amber playing Emily in a believable build-up to a relationship with Zander and a best friendship with Elizabeth.  I remember a scene of recast Emily knowing Elizabeth was pregnant with Zander's kid, and being nonchalant about it. So strange to hear her encourage Liz to tell Zander, for motivation for him to get his life together.  It was also surreal that recast Emily and Nikolas fell in love, given that Nik had thought of Em as a child when he was having an affair with adult Katherine.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

It was also surreal that recast Emily and Nikolas fell in love, given that Nik had thought of Em as a child when he was having an affair with adult Katherine.

Oh, but the crack writers covered the base by having Nikolas reveal to NuEmily that when he and Gia were looking at a wedding gown (at some point during the nearly two years that Emily was out of town and between actresses), all he could think about was how Emily would look in the gown. So, no matter what relationships we had actually watched, he had always loved her from afar!  

I know I harp on that a lot, especially considering I didn't even like Nia. It was just a particularly toxic example of "what we say goes; get with the program; Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia."  

Edit: Loved early Zem, with Chad and Amber. Pruza '03 wrecked them, and wrecked Zander as a character on his own, in my opinion. Emily lost a lot of her appeal too, but that was more complex.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

.  It was also surreal that recast Emily and Nikolas fell in love, given that Nik had thought of Em as a child when he was having an affair with adult Katherine.

Eh I don't know. I was always waiting for the story to move that way.   Not sure how much younger she was supposed to be than him but I figured with her big crush and their really cute friendship eventually she'd grow up and they'd move from friends to more. Classic soap. And classic girl fantasy of your crush falling in love with you eventually being realized (we are the target audience).  I just wish it could have been with the originals but I can't fault AT for moving on (I LOVED Joan of Arcadia) but I wish they'd recast with a stronger actress.  

I was one one who didn't love Zander.  He never gelled for me and I NEVER got why Liz slept with him the first time let alone twice. Sad that her first kid is by a character I still consider as minor. Would have been better if it was Rics (lord help me a tie to Sonny but still would make more sense).

• Love 2

I always thought they got rid of Zander because he and Tamara's Carly had great chemistry; much more than she had with MB/Sonny.  Or maybe he just ran out of story.  But I do remember the Zander and Carly sparks.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, MissL said:

I just wish it could have been with the originals but I can't fault AT for moving on (I LOVED Joan of Arcadia) but I wish they'd recast with a stronger actress.  

I was one one who didn't love Zander.  He never gelled for me and I NEVER got why Liz slept with him the first time let alone twice. Sad that her first kid is by a character I still consider as minor. Would have been better if it was Rics (lord help me a tie to Sonny but still would make more sense).

Agreed. I think they ran out of ideas (same reason Georgie Jones was killed off) and decided Liz's future love interest would be the baby's permanent father, without Zander having any claim.

I did like that - even with the bus pulverizing his character for the diabetes-inducing Numb (as I called them) - that even with the hacks trying to ruin his character, Chad Brannon got an Emmy as a consolation prize. (And, no. Still don't think Daytime Emmys mean much, but the symbolism is nice!)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I did like that - even with the bus pulverizing his character for the diabetes-inducing Numb (as I called them) - that even with the hacks trying to ruin his character, Chad Brannon got an Emmy as a consolation prize. (And, no. Still don't think Daytime Emmys mean much, but the symbolism is nice!)

It doesn't hurt. I see Chad still acts and does voice work, and he can (and does) claim "Emmy winner."  So when people are looking around for an actor to fill their needs, he has something to his credit that not everyone in the field has. 

He deserved better than his Pruza/Frons-era writing. With the combination of Jason's full-time return and Nem, the writing/characterization for Zander started getting worse and worse. I also thought they horribly botched his back-story with the introduction of the father and the Ordinary People ripoff with the dead brother, but I am getting very "history thread," so I will stop now.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Hater said:

No one posted CVE's new interview with ass kisser Michael Fairman?  Well have at it?  He has awful awful taste in Grava and Oscar.  

Thanks for bringing that over, Hater. I do not agree with him on everything, but of course, praising everyone on the show whose name comes up is a given in these interviews. I...like him. I'm impressed that he really loved the genre long before he knew he would be involved in production of it, and can even name-drop something as distant as Ryan's Hope, or talk in detail about stories the older set had when they were not the older set. So I will extend his honeymoon period.  

I did laugh at this:  

But what kind of doctor should she be?  We had our brain guy in Griffin; our disease-y fellow in Finn; Monica (Leslie Charleson) is the big boss lady and does cardiology when she’s not tearing up the singles circuit; Lucas (Ryan Carnes) is our go-to in the ER; Obrecht (Kathleen Gati) is our mad scientist with a heart of gold (yes I know she’s not currently on staff at GH, but never underestimate an Obrecht); Bensch (James DePaiva) does it all.  What kind of doctor are we missing?  Of course!  Get GH a urologist, stat!  Just kidding! What we really needed was an OB/GYN

They aren't going to their go-to in the ER very often! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Thanks for bringing that over, Hater. I do not agree with him on everything, but of course, praising everyone on the show whose name comes up is a given in these interviews. I...like him. I'm impressed that he really loved the genre long before he knew he would be involved in production of it, and can even name-drop something as distant as Ryan's Hope, or talk in detail about stories the older set had when they were not the older set. So I will extend his honeymoon period.  

I read a quote by him that said that he and the other writers made an effort to include as many characters as they could in the three day Thanksgiving episodes, barring only the ones who couldn't film due to scheduling difficulties or what-not.  I had to admit that was a point in his favor, especially since I saw the heartwarming scenes where all the Quartermaine family and friends brought pizza to Monica.  

Edited by yowsah1
  • Love 2

Hey there. Longtime lurker here! 

In case any of you are interested, James Franco was interviewed on WTF, Marc Maron's podcast last week. They spend a good 10 minutes on his time at GH. Some interesting tidbits: TPTB wanted him to create a character and write for the character, but he gave them complete artistic control. He then laughed and said "they named my character FRANCO! Original right?" He then goes on to say it was a great experience to learn all that dialogue and basically he taped all his scenes on three consecutive Fridays. He also poached his assistant Samantha from GH - she was the production assistant who helped him run lines when he was fresh off the redeye from NYC. Here's the kicker: he seems completely flabbergasted that they recast the role because he always understood that Franco was his character and always meant to be a one off. Like legit, what are they smoking flabbergasted (join the club, James!). He also said he still has fans come up to him, usually in airports, and ask when he's coming back to GH because they can't stand the guy who replaced him!!! 

It's a great listen. And his movie The Disaster Artist is phenomenal. Saw it over the weekend.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Why did we see Aurora Media dude? Was that a sop to LW? (That's her guy, right?)

Yup, that's her guy. And is it just me, or I seem to recall he was better looking when he was on Charmed. Or maybe I'm confusing him with the guy who played Chris, because I only remember Wyatt being a baby.

• Love 2

Someone named Mike is the hero of the daytime confidential podcast. He gave thoughtful answers and was the only one who noted that Liz wasn't necessarily getting anything out of the Franco pairing.

Jamey Giddens is so annoying. Why don't any of them tell him to shut the hell up, I don't know.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ulkis said:

Someone named Mike is the hero of the daytime confidential podcast. He gave thoughtful answers and was the only one who noted that Liz wasn't necessarily getting anything out of the Franco pairing.

Jamey Giddens is insufferable. Why don't any of them tell him to shut the hell up, I don't know.

What a shock that Elizabeth is not getting anything out of being paired with Franco, rme.  Elizabeth/BH are just props in order to keep Franco/RoHo onscreen.  

There are usually comments under the podcast from DC posters annoyed at Jamey or Jillian's constant rants and interruptions, which is part of the reason that I don't listen to them all the time.  Jamey can go off on long ass rants and constantly interrupt Luke.