Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

Greg Vaughn gave a barnburner interview when he departed years ago that implied there was a network mandate around Sonny, Jason, and Carly. He said he was sure there were “political reasons” to feature them so heavily, but it resulted in wasting other talents who have come through there over the years. It still does. Mo/Sonny is still way over others in episode counts. And it would appear to me the mandate remains in effect. 

I was once naive enough to hope that as Sonny/Mo got older, they would start retreating from the show at least a little bit. I was wrong. LOL 

At this point though it just seems insane to me. Nobody cares about the Sopranos anymore. Hell, I work in a movie theater and I can't think of the last time a mob/gangster movie was an actual hit. Forcing the show to do a PG imitation of a show that last aired 15 years ago just seems insane to me. Why aren't they trying to up the Quartermaines so they can rip off Bridgerton? Or bring in a bad imitation of the Dutton family from Yellowstone? 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 3
20 hours ago, Desperado said:

Laura Wright and Steve Burton presenting Best Actress category. LW went on and on about how happy she was that he was back on the show. He was more demure and task oriented. He looked quite good in his all black tux. Felt like they were channeling their characters which was… a choice.

That was such a weird intro for lead actress. Like talk about the women ffs. Also, I doubt a room of their peers are that invested in SBu’s job hopping and their reactions reflected that. 

• Like 3

Not seeing the scandal in that video. For all we know Frank asked her to stand next to him. He clearly does not enjoy this aspect of the job. And like it or not Carly is the lead of the show. (Sony and Jason are too, obvs but if I'm the network I want the morally complex mother of 4 as the face instead of a hitman and a mob boss.) 

In a perfect world Laura Collins would be the face of the show. But Genie's been there and has the scars to prove it. Or it would be Elizabeth as Steve's granddaughter and an actual medical professional. 

I have a lot of issues with how Carly is written and positioned on the canvas. And one suspects Laura Wright may be a lot in certain situations.(Kim Zimmer was her mentor after all) But she takes her job seriously both in performance and in public. And the show has told us for years that she is the lead. She was where she belonged on that stage.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

The final acceptance was just…weird.  I nearly missed LW’s performance as I was so focused on FV’s emotionless, monotone reading from his phone.  

My mom asked me if he had a stroke in the past.

• Useful 1

I'd rather see LW excited about a win than standing in the background looking surly.  She didn't elbow her way to the front, there was a gap and she took it.

• Like 1

I see these award shoes as a rare opportunity to publicly thank and offer visibility to the very hard working behind the scenes people so actors (who get a lot more limelight) standing in the back of the group if they prefer, is fine with me.

I also shallowly want to see everyone and their outfits so I’m torn. 😂

• Like 2
On 6/7/2024 at 8:34 PM, Desperado said:

And accepted by fired/rehired or never fired Dan O’Connor as Head Writer clinches it.

I listened to the Daytime Confidential podcast and I mixed them up. Dan O’Connor was fired and is now on DOOL. Chris was the fired/rehired or never left writer. He apparently was at the awards but didn’t accept because he “had a wardrobe malfunction”.🤔

Ah, that show…

• Like 3
(edited)

Here's an interview with Jeff Kober, discussing various of his roles including GH:

https://www.tvinsider.com/1138779/break-movie-jeff-kober-general-hospital-walking-dead-china-beach/

Here is the GH bit for those who don't want to read the whole interview:

These days a lot of viewers know you from the soap opera world on General Hospital. How is it to step in and out of Port Charles as Cyrus? A role that won you a Daytime Emmy Award. 

It’s more like being a sprinter than a distance runner. You have to be ready to go. You have to be ready to jump in any direction because you don’t know who you’re going to be from one week to the next until you look at a script. You never get to see where that script fits into the larger fabric of the story they’re telling. It’s a hoot because it’s jumping into the unknown.

Cyrus has been through a lot. What do you make of his evolution? Where do you see this character going in the future on the show? 

It started out as a short gig. Whatever happened, they decided to keep me on a little longer. So they made me the mysterious half-brother of Genie Francis’ character [Laura Spencer]. They wrote this evil criminal as someone who is broken and needs his mother’s love. I was like, “How do you play that? I guess we’ll find out.” It was so much fun to do that. Then they sent him away to prison and he found Jesus, or did he? For me, it’s always about finding what’s the most interesting and grounded and most passionate perspective this character can have in a given time. They keep you guessing on that show. What he has come around to now, and being holier than now. The last time I saw him he was saying, “I got to work on myself before I tell anyone else how to do this.” Don’t you wish more people in the world realized that?

Edited by Fellaway
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3

Soap Twitter is going crazy over some racist garbage that’s being spewed about Taby. Rightfully so, but now they’re calling out all her colleagues for not immediately jumping to her defense. The only person who has said anything is Michelle Val Jean. It is distressing but TA seems to have handled it very well. 

image.thumb.png.83ce494360eef68a9566ef845d0d5932.png

• Mind Blown 2
40 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Soap Twitter is going crazy over some racist garbage that’s being spewed about Taby. Rightfully so, but now they’re calling out all her colleagues for not immediately jumping to her defense. The only person who has said anything is Michelle Val Jean. It is distressing but TA seems to have handled it very well. 

image.thumb.png.83ce494360eef68a9566ef845d0d5932.png

It's interesting that Michele said they've never met but she was looking for Taby at the Emmys and wanted to meet her.  Who knows what will come from that.

Laura Wright did retweet Taby's tweet and said you are loved.  She is the only one who even let on they saw all of this.  i personally feel it's out of character for some of the actors, and I wonder if it's a Frank directive.  Maybe he doesn't want to call attention to it, or insult the racist viewers by having anyone point out that they're racists.  I don't know. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

Yeah my mind went to the same place as yours when I saw Michelle’s tweet. I would love for Taby to find a place where she’s appreciated. She’s talented, gorgeous and being given nothing from Frank. I suppose Gio is for Trina but I’d rather see her stand on her own for a while. Maybe decide to study at the Sorbonne after all.

I don’t know why her cast mates are being silent. Maybe she asked them not to engage. Maybe ABC did. Part of me doesn’t want them to engage because it only adds fuel to the fire. Another part wants them to call out the racists in the most imaginative way possible. In the end, as long as Taby knows they have her back, that’s what matters.

ETA: Maura tweeted her support 

Edited by Sake614
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

JAX?

Cast member implies, or really, states outright, it's the actor people will be excited is returning.  So a recast Jax would not fit the tease.  And they are never bringing Ingo back IMHO.  

• Useful 1

Lucky played by Greg Vaughan? I think he’s leaving DOOL…

Definitely a strong possibility.  I also think Bryan Craig's Morgan is one too.  I think Morgan can very easily be written into the Pikeman story.  I just hope whoever it is this isn't Frank BS'ing as he likes to do, and it's going to be some big disappointment. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I don't want to say a name, for fear of putting an idea out in the universe that's not already there, but, knowing Frank, my first, cynical guess would be one of his pets -- and the audience would be going crazy, screaming No!

Edited by rur
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, tessaray said:

JJY would make me happy.

I don't think JJY is considered a former cast member—he's just on medical leave. And we've gotten enough references to Mac while JJY has been gone that I think it's a character who has left the show. 

Besides, since when has the show really cared about Mac?

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Like 5
Just now, dubbel zout said:

I don't think JJY is considered a former cast member—he's just on medical leave. And we've gotten enough references to Mac while JJY has been gone that I think it's a character who has left the show. 

Ah, good point. 

Ah man, I’d join that walk in a heartbeat if I lived in LA! Hope there’s an enormous turnout and that his family finds some peace. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I see below the article that Perez Hilton is going to be be on GH. 

First, why?

Second, seriously, why?

Gross. I thought most people have long acknowledged how problematic his behavior was and he hasn’t been culturally relevant for years so what could the show possibly gain from his appearance?

• Like 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/11/2024 at 7:10 AM, Desperado said:

Lucky played by Greg Vaughan? I think he’s leaving DOOL…

I would love this because it would shake up the show in all the right ways. But it's too much of a nice thing, so pretty sure that can't be it. 🙂 (JJ would be even better but that's up there with unicorns and world peace.)

Ted King would be my second choice because most of the men on this show are either dreary or not on very often.  Bryan Craig would mean more Sonny angst and he's related to almost everyone... though if he came back seriously hating Michael, that might be fun. 

Eta: I'm ignoring RoHo and LWB as options because either would send me back to the barge. I'm trying to be optimistic. 

Edited by tessaray
  • Like 8

Well Bryan craig is retweeting Franks’s ‘returning cast member’ tweet with cryptic ‘I wonder who?’ messages. So either he’s trolling us or he undercut the show’s efforts at suspense. 

(edited)

If Morgan comes back hating Michael it would be interesting.  Maybe he will steal Willow from him.  katelyn wants to play something that's not boring, and for me, I would much rather see this than her and Drew.  Done right, Morgan's return could be an umbrella story, instead of just mostly Sonny and Carly.  But of course, this is GH so...

2 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Well Bryan craig is retweeting Franks’s ‘returning cast member’ tweet with cryptic ‘I wonder who?’ messages. So either he’s trolling us or he undercut the show’s efforts at suspense. 

Yeah, 100%.  If he's trolling he's doing it for attention and that would be pathetic.  Unless it is him and FV gave him the go ahead to build anticipation, that's the only thing that would make this anything but a bad look.  And I guess that could be. 

Edited by CeChase
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
On 6/11/2024 at 2:27 PM, PatsyandEddie said:

Bonnie Burroughs , former Gladys is rallying support for a walk for Johnny Wactor 

https://apple.news/A-W3tT8-cQl2eYSmdQXmC0g

This link wouldn't work for me, but I turned up this lovely little clip of Bonnie talking about how wonderful Johnny was - wanted to share in case anyone else missed it too. The more I learn of who Johnny was a person, the more tragic his death becomes. 😭

https://www.accessonline.com/videos/johnny-wactors-general-hospital-co-star-bonnie-burroughs-remembers-late-actor-he-was-all-heart

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 2

Parry Shen posted a clip of today’s March. They had a nice sized crowd ❤️. Really hope the cops find the dirtbags who killed Johnny. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Johnny’s tragic passing has hit home for me. I have a son- in- law who bears a slight resemblance to JW physically but personality wise, they are so similar. It’s been tough to read the stories about John y and not think of my daughter’s husband. 😪

• Like 2
  • Hugs 8

How long has the spewing of racist garbage been going on? Makes me wonder if the Show needs to invest in a security detail for Taby. 

I just saw the news story about the march for JW on Access. The actors who have played Phyllis, Gladys and Brad were there. Wactor's friend said he'd been talking about preparing for an audition, then was murdered on a street without lights. Ugh, so heartbreaking.

• Sad 5
11 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

How long has the spewing of racist garbage been going on?

A while but it’s gaining traction because people are retweeting it. Apparently the show is in talks with Taby and her reps about how to handle the situation. Meantime, the best Varni can muster in response is ‘ X is a hateful place.’ 🙄

• Angry 1

Per Errol at SON, it’s not Bryan Craig. The trolling would indicate he’s not grown any as a person since his run… 

No RoHo, please, because it would be absolutely ridiculous and he seemed to recognize he and GH needed to be done with one another. 

The show and network need to step up for Tabyana and start showcasing the diversity they use for Emmy submissions and wins on a daily basis. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I’m glad it’s not BC returning. A Morgan return would just give any more screentime to Sonny, Carly, Jason, Joss, Michael etc who are on far too much as it is and the character was a complete loser

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

I don't particularly like the way that Tabyana responded in her tweets, but at least she is defending herself in some fashion.  I agree that the show and network should step in somehow.  It's an opportunity to make a strong statement against the racism and bigotry on social media, and to speak up for Black and minority groups more broadly.  Especially given the demographics of the audience, as well as the cast and crew.

13 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

This link wouldn't work for me, but I turned up this lovely little clip of Bonnie talking about how wonderful Johnny was - wanted to share in case anyone else missed it too. The more I learn of who Johnny was a person, the more tragic his death becomes. 😭

https://www.accessonline.com/videos/johnny-wactors-general-hospital-co-star-bonnie-burroughs-remembers-late-actor-he-was-all-heart

This was heart breaking to watch.

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

don't particularly like the way that Tabyana responded in her tweets,

Just curious how you think she should have responded? More forcefully? Less so? 

I haven’t watched the show in about two months because life.  Gonna start catching up this weekend. Feels like I missed a lot!  On the Laura Wright front, yes, she seems like a lot.  But so does Kim Zimmer and Michelle Stafford.  They just seem like super extroverts to me.  As an introvert that would be draining to work with on a daily basis but I don’t think LW has bad intentions at all.  I’m just not getting that vibe from her.  She puts in her all and works really hard to sell whatever it is her bosses want her to sell.  I’ve never seen her slack on any storyline, even the dumb ones which are most of them.

Hmm, fan fave who’s returning…..do they mean the character is the fan favorite or the actor?  My guesses are Lucky, Lulu, Jax or Morgan.  Possibly recasted, especially if it’s Jax.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I haven’t watched the show in about two months because life.  Gonna start catching up this weekend. Feels like I missed a lot!  On the Laura Wright front, yes, she seems like a lot.  But so does Kim Zimmer and Michelle Stafford.  They just seem like super extroverts to me.  As an introvert that would be draining to work with on a daily basis but I don’t think LW has bad intentions at all.  I’m just not getting that vibe from her.  She puts in her all and works really hard to sell whatever it is her bosses want her to sell.  I’ve never seen her slack on any storyline, even the dumb ones which are most of them.

Hmm, fan fave who’s returning…..do they mean the character is the fan favorite or the actor?  My guesses are Lucky, Lulu, Jax or Morgan.  Possibly recasted, especially if it’s Jax.

I don't know Kim Zimmer, but Stafford is A LOT for me.  I was so glad when Cynthia took over the Nina role.   

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Just curious how you think she should have responded? More forcefully? Less so? 

I would have liked to have seen a greater focus on anti-Black racism and hate speech itself, rather than her making it simply about a personal attack towards her individually.

I also personally don't care for all the talk involving peace, love, and God towards the haters, wishing for their happiness.  I don't think that kind of thinking is particularly helpful or healthy, and shouldn't be encouraged to the public.  Also didn't like the comments telling them to "go outside" and the suggestions that they are unhappy with their lives and so forth.  That kind of thing comes off like a veiled insult, which is a bit questionable in my view.

Overall though I'm glad she spoke up, especially since no one else did.  For obvious reasons I don't want to be too critical of her when she's the one being attacked.

Edited by Tenshinhan
  • Like 3

Rooting for Sean Kanan back as AJ.  Sean and Liz should be the leading couple and MB should have been given the hook.

Would love to see William Lipton back (along with Sidney).   

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, sunnyface said:

Rooting for Sean Kanan back as AJ.  Sean and Liz should be the leading couple and MB should have been given the hook.

Would love to see William Lipton back (along with Sidney).   

He’s on Bold & The Beautiful  right now and doesn’t look like he’ll be leaving anytime soon since he just got his HEA with a murderous psycho.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2