Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: Worlds Finest

Trini
  • Start Topic

Since it can't be said enough, Barry and Kara are so cute together! My hubby said SG cannot cross into Barry's world, but I hope they make it happen sometime.

I don't see why they couldn't send her over. She's almost fast enough.  Toss in some mad scientist that wants to get rid of Supergirl and if you can't kill her, maybe you just send her away.  Then here's my twist, do something so she's depowered most of the time once she gets the Flarrowverse shows.  

I don't watch The Flash or read any of the comic books. Is there any significance to that gold thing strapped across his chest? I noticed he had to fasten it at the end before he and Kara took off in a race.

I think the device was something to help him go faster. 

• Love 1

Tonight's episode of The Flash actually showed the device on Flash's chest is the same one used by his Season 1 Villain Eobard Thrawn(not!HarrisonWells!)/The Reverse Flash, to harness Tachyons to improve his speed. Barry traveled back in time to learn how Thrawn was faster than him, and got his research.

If SB made supergirl's ears bleed those regular people's heads should have exploded.

Sometimes Superman/Supergirl are actually more vulnerable to sonic attacks than normal people because of their super senses. Also, as others have said, magic is a Kryptonian weakness.

• Love 6

Couldn't chief Singh be considered a racial minority as well?  Based on his name, I assumed he was Indian.

Maybe, the actor might be italian or something. Flarrow has a history of casting white actors for non white roles.

The character is Indian-American and the actor is Egyptian-Canadian. Neither is white.

• Love 2

OK, I finally just watched this fun episode, and I only have two things to say. First, I want a sequel. Second, now I want to get to know Barry better by binge-watching The Flash as soon as I get the chance!

You won't regret it. One of the better shows on broadcast TV. I just hope it doesn't go through the third year slump next year that the Arrow is going through. Talk about painful.

Now I wish we had seen Barry and Kara at a karaoke bar. That would have been amazing.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

I love Barry so, but I was burned pretty bad by Arrow so I'm very very wary of trying The Flash (some of the same important BTS people). My love of JJ, MB, and most of this cast lets me be slightly (only slightly) more forgiving toward Supergirl's flaws. Let us know what you think!

Watched the version with the producers' commentary. Some of the highlights:

• The episode orginally was going to have a montage of SG doing good works to make up for her Red K rampage, but it got cut.
  • The producers didn't know how long Jenna would be playing Lucy
  • Italia Ricci is someone the producers consider a friend, and she also happens to be engaged to Robbie Amell
  • When Siobhan is going into Catco, we hear the Celtic word for "Kill."
  • The script originally had Barry bringing Team Supergirl coffee, but the director changed it to ice cream because it was more fun
  • There were a couple scenes with Barry/Cat interacting that needed to be cut
  • There was a part of the script where Barry disarms everyone at the DEO, but they didn't have time to film it.
  • The producers deliberately wanted Siobhan to go to the DEO so she could see Live Wire and come up with the idea to free her.
  • The script originally had Siobhan's hair gradually turning white, but that proved unworkable, so she went with makeup.
  • One scene that had to be cut for scheduling was where Kara and Barry interact with Cat and they were yelling because they had just been Banshee'd.
  • Flash shoots in Vancouver and Supergirl shoots in LA, so scheduling was tough.
  • Another thing that was cut was Barry referring to his raging-out under the influence of Rainbow Raider.
  • Live Wire's "I hate helicopters!" is a reference to how she got her powers in a helicopter accident.
  • The firemen that rescued Kara are the same ones who she rescued at the top of Episode 16 ("Falling"). 
  • They were mulling over "Fast Times on Infinite Earths" as a possible title for this episode.
  • About the Kimmy kiss, one of them quoted Joss Whedon as saying "You give your characters one moment of happiness and then you take it away from them." (I do have to say that did actually seem Whedonesque. Especially Kara's concern about whether the kiss was good enough. She actually sounded like Willow.)
  • Love 5

Almost as much sense as Wynn taking a POINT BLANK silver banshee scream.  Remember the thing strong enough to knock out Kara and make her ears bleed?  Yeah Winn is conscious and completely unharmed unless his butt cheeks are bruised.

A couple of points about Silver Banshee's abilities.  Yes, she uses sound, but it's very focused, directional sound.  Think of it a bit like a flamethrower.  A lot of people are going to feel the heat from it, but only those in the relative path of the fire will get burned.  The crowd was clutching its ears because of the sound but no one's head was exploding.  Second, Silver Banshee could control and modulate her powers.  Winn didn't wrong her and she cared for him, so she knocked him away without hurting him.

I suspect that LiveWire will be helpful in taking down the mind control thing.

For me, the big difference (besides a bunch of other things) is that The Flash has a charismatic lead actor while the Arrow, woefully, does not.  I stopped watching the Arrow fairly early on - the Arrow himself pretty much bored me to death - plus, the story, etc - there are few characters in it I liked but not enough to hand around.

Some great acting in The Flash last night between Barry and Wells.  

As fun as this episode of Supergirl was, I think it will be terrific if it winds up bringing more eyeballs over to The Flash - 

• Love 2

Since I brought up the minority issue. I was talking about the main cast, the ones that get their names in the beginning of the episode. Not the ones that get guest star or special guest star before their names. The Flash does have 3 minority actors however two characters are related they kind of have to be the same race. (although that didn't stop Smallville) Minority actors are usually side characters that pop up once in awhile, so shows can show how diverse they are. The majority of casts on tv are white. 

Another thing that was cut was Barry referring to his raging-out under the influence of Rainbow Raider.

I thought he did mention that? Not a full explanation but he did say something similar happened to him. I suppose you wouldn't get that if you didn't watch The Flash.

Barry was much more mature on this show than he is on his own. Can we keep that Barry? I might enjoy the Flash again if we could.  

• Love 2

Other thoughts on rewatch:

Barry's initial plan to take out LiveWire by running around her a bunch and then hitting her with electricity was beyond stupid. That's her power! Also, it seems like it's generally stupid as the same effort to generate the electric charge (running really fast for a bunch) could be used to punch her a hundred times. 

The main problem with Jimmy is the writers, like a lot of these superhero shows, don't know how to write love interests. On paper, Jimmy doesn't have much of a personality. He's Superman's best pal and explainer of Superman stuff for Kara. He's someone capable of summoning SM or SG with his signal watch. He's not even really a photographer these days. He's an "art director," which doesn't really lend itself to story-telling except when he goes and reverts to being a photographer. And then finally, he's been in the Jimmy/Kara/Lucy and Jimmy/Kara/Winn love triangles. After 18 episodes, more than any other character on the show, I don't have a sense of what he might say or do in a given situation. The other problem is that Jimmy is so passive. We have not really seen him express interest in Kara romantically. It has mostly been him being told by others -- Red K Kara, Winn, Lucy -- that he is interested in Kara.  (I think he told Bizarra he loved Kara, but that could have been just a ploy.)

It is pretty classic villain stuff to a) teamup for no real reason. Obviously Siobhan should be pretty easily capable of killing Kara and Cat by herself, from her perspective and b) to set up a purposeless deathtrap. I mean, nothing but plot armor stops them from killing Cat after kidnapping her, other than needing to mwa-ha-ha about it.

Then again, it's pretty classic superhero to stand around and talk when Barry could have literally swooped Cat to safety and knocked both Shrieky and Sparky out.

I do have to say that as good as Barry's advice (slow down with superhero stuff, speed things up on the romantic front) might be, I think it's absolutely not advice that he's lived by on his show.

They really should have explained what the tachyon thingy was that Flash was wearing.

They probably should have also come up with a plan to neutralize LiveWire in addition to the plan to use the earplugs to stop Banshee's effect.

The fact that SG is apparently not much, if at all. slower than Barry re-emphasizes how she basically out of the league of her villains. It should be no problem for her to dodge basically any attack or to strike at a speed where normal-speeded people couldn't possibly defend themselves. 

Flash saying he's gotten so much faster that he ran all the way out to the countryside without realizing it doesn't make any sense.

I kind of wish in addition to getting Team Supergirl ice cream, Barry painted the Fortress of Togethertude.

• Love 2

The main problem with Jimmy is the writers, like a lot of these superhero shows, don't know how to write love interests. On paper, Jimmy doesn't have much of a personality. He's Superman's best pal and explainer of Superman stuff for Kara. He's someone capable of summoning SM or SG with his signal watch. He's not even really a photographer these days. He's an "art director," which doesn't really lend itself to story-telling except when he goes and reverts to being a photographer. And then finally, he's been in the Jimmy/Kara/Lucy and Jimmy/Kara/Winn love triangles. After 18 episodes, more than any other character on the show, I don't have a sense of what he might say or do in a given situation. The other problem is that Jimmy is so passive. We have not really seen him express interest in Kara romantically. It has mostly been him being told by others -- Red K Kara, Winn, Lucy -- that he is interested in Kara.  (I think he told Bizarra he loved Kara, but that could have been just a ploy.)

I think that James is kind of blank as a character, because they've removed him so far from the comic versions of Jimmy (they've given Winn a role closer to the traditional Jimmy Olsen) that he's effectively just there to serve as Clark/Superman's voice/representative in Kara's life. Which also makes it just a little weird that he's also Kara's primary love interest. But in any given situation, Jimmy will act as Clark/Superman would, if Clark didn't have super powers.

It is pretty classic villain stuff to a) teamup for no real reason. Obviously Siobhan should be pretty easily capable of killing Kara and Cat by herself, from her perspective and b) to set up a purposeless deathtrap. I mean, nothing but plot armor stops them from killing Cat after kidnapping her, other than needing to mwa-ha-ha about it.

They actually kind of explained it, Siobhan wanted to kill Kara because doing so would end her curse (before it destroyed her soul, or whatever), but decided that she'd have to take out Supergirl first because Supergirl was protecting Kara. She didn't want to kill Cat as much as she was using her as bait to draw out Supergirl. She needed Livewire as backup against Supergirl.

Barry's initial plan to take out LiveWire by running around her a bunch and then hitting her with electricity was beyond stupid. That's her power!

To be fair, he took out his own electro-villain, Blackout, by overloading him. If it worked once, it's not crazy to think it would work twice. Livewire has a better handle on her abilities, though, and that was that.

• Love 3

Watched the version with the producers' commentary. Some of the highlights:

• The episode orginally was going to have a montage of SG doing good works to make up for her Red K rampage, but it got cut.
  • The producers didn't know how long Jenna would be playing Lucy
  • Italia Ricci is someone the producers consider a friend, and she also happens to be engaged to Robbie Amell
  • When Siobhan is going into Catco, we hear the Celtic word for "Kill."
  • The script originally had Barry bringing Team Supergirl coffee, but the director changed it to ice cream because it was more fun
  • There were a couple scenes with Barry/Cat interacting that needed to be cut
  • There was a part of the script where Barry disarms everyone at the DEO, but they didn't have time to film it.
  • The producers deliberately wanted Siobhan to go to the DEO so she could see Live Wire and come up with the idea to free her.
  • The script originally had Siobhan's hair gradually turning white, but that proved unworkable, so she went with makeup.
  • One scene that had to be cut for scheduling was where Kara and Barry interact with Cat and they were yelling because they had just been Banshee'd.
  • Flash shoots in Vancouver and Supergirl shoots in LA, so scheduling was tough.
  • Another thing that was cut was Barry referring to his raging-out under the influence of Rainbow Raider.
  • Live Wire's "I hate helicopters!" is a reference to how she got her powers in a helicopter accident.
  • The firemen that rescued Kara are the same ones who she rescued at the top of Episode 16 ("Falling"). 
  • They were mulling over "Fast Times on Infinite Earths" as a possible title for this episode.
  • About the Kimmy kiss, one of them quoted Joss Whedon as saying "You give your characters one moment of happiness and then you take it away from them." (I do have to say that did actually seem Whedonesque. Especially Kara's concern about whether the kiss was good enough. She actually sounded like Willow.)

i'm looking forward to getting the dvd set already if all this is included on them as extras.

I think that James is kind of blank as a character, because they've removed him so far from the comic versions of Jimmy (they've given Winn a role closer to the traditional Jimmy Olsen) that he's effectively just there to serve as Clark/Superman's voice/representative in Kara's life. Which also makes it just a little weird that he's also Kara's primary love interest. But in any given situation, Jimmy will act as Clark/Superman would, if Clark didn't have super powers.

They actually kind of explained it, Siobhan wanted to kill Kara because doing so would end her curse (before it destroyed her soul, or whatever), but decided that she'd have to take out Supergirl first because Supergirl was protecting Kara. She didn't want to kill Cat as much as she was using her as bait to draw out Supergirl. She needed Livewire as backup against Supergirl.

Re: Jimmy, I think they could easily flesh him out more than Kryptonian Whisperer. But like Laurel and Iris, they just choose not to.

From Siobhan's perspective, though, she would have to think that SG isn't protecting Kara 24-7 and it should be fairly easy to find a time to kill her without crossing paths with SG.

To be fair, he took out his own electro-villain, Blackout, by overloading him. If it worked once, it's not crazy to think it would work twice. Livewire has a better handle on her abilities, though, and that was that.

Fair. But he should have also learned from battling Blackout that it's possible to negate his powers and been very wary of LW doing the same thing.

Also, he didn't overload Blackout with the lightning juggling deal cause he hadn't learned to do that yet.

i'm looking forward to getting the dvd set already if all this is included on them as extras.

Hopefully they do have a lot of the deleted scenes and the original script, but from the commentary, it sounds like they didn't actually film a lot of them for time/logistics reasons.

Also, he didn't overload Blackout with the lightning juggling deal cause he hadn't learned to do that yet.

No, he bounced Blackout's own power back at him and shorted him out. Somehow? A power never seen before or since or even kind of explained. Honestly, I hadn't noticed how "well, whatever, he won, yay!" the end of that plotline is until I just rewatched it right now. Really undercooked.

Random tiny moment I loved- the little shoulder-cuddle Winn and Kara do when Barry's whiteboarding the multiverse. Such adorable geekitude! Winn is 100% improved since they got past the whole "pining for Kara" deal. Now I actually buy them as best friends. It's just a pity Jimmy's personality fell off somewhere around the same time.

• Love 8

CBS finally put this up On Demand and I finally got to see this last night.

Admittedly, I stopped watching this show right after the Thanksgiving episode, I think.  

But, I LOVED this episode! So much COLOR and brightness! But I suspect that's due to better production values on this show/network.

A Smallville mention! Come On! Those that watched, had to snerk/snort at Cat's wanting to call Barry "The Blur."

So much goodness. Barry here reminded me of Season 1 Barry on his own show, and oh how I've missed that Barry. Loved both Kara and Barry saying "the who what now?" And Barry geeking out over Kara/Supergirl and her being an alien. Though I admit, those reactions are DCAU Wally West's Flash reactions, but I'll take it.

The make-up on Banshee was AMAAAAZING. She was like the live version of Banshee from Batman/Superman: Public Enemies. Very Kewl.  

I've never warmed up to James/Jimmy here. I admit the actor is good looking, but he's soooo chemistry free.  And that is subjective, I know. I mean, that kiss? Left me cold. And then he was zombified, like everyone else.  I'm going to see if I can manage to find all the episodes I missed, because one, On Demand only has the last four, and I ain't paying CBS to watch the others.  I don't quite remember why I stopped watching because I do so love Melissa and her Kara is so adorkable.

And I was stupid. For some reason, I thought that this episode would continue over on The Flash and didn't realize that Barry accidentally landed on an Earth that has never heard of Flash and that just because Supes and Kara/Supergirl have never been mentioned on the other shows, meant, they dinna exist. STOOPID.  

I didn't want this episode to end, and I really, really wanted to see a race a la "Speed Demons" from Superman: The Animated Series, even if I didn't care for that rendition/voice portrayal of Flash.

And Kara had oodles more chemistry with Barry than I've seen with James or Winn. Even though, by now, I see that Winn has moved on, but alas, she's now a Villain.

And I'm bummed that Kara Melissa and Barry Grant didn't get to sing together! All I got was one line from "Summer Lovin'" last season, and Danielle was godawful, but Grant was wonderrrrful, so I wanted more, dammit!

So, they neutralized LIvewire with water.  Don't they have that water dust Batgirl used in Superman/Batman Hour on its Livewire when she, along with Harley and Poison Ivy joined up? It was a Supergirl/Batgirl episode, while the big BOYS were out of town.

Anyhoo, I don't understand why this show couldn't give Livewire like, the gray/silver hair. 

Did I mention that I didn't want this episode to end?

• Love 1

Can someone please explain to me how the same creators/producers etc that have created The Flash and Arrow still can't get it together with this show.  I watched a few episodes at the beginning of the season then couldn't take it, I tuned in for the x-over because The Flash, and I will not be tuning back in.  The cast it sitll flat, and i don't buy any of that geeky charm thing MB is tying so hard to pull off.  CBS should cancel this thing. 

Anyhoo, I don't understand why this show couldn't give Livewire like, the gray/silver hair.

It was a bit more gray the first time Livewire showed up. Its white now, but I think it looks much better than the previous wig.

• Love 1
The make-up on Banshee was AMAAAAZING. She was like the live version of Banshee from Batman/Superman: Public Enemies. Very Kewl.

I agree. It was very true to the comics and I thought it was creepy cool, which was the point. In fact, so much work went into that outfit I am surprised Livewire (who did it for her or at least helped her with it) didn't come up with something more for herself.

Can someone please explain to me how the same creators/producers etc that have created The Flash and Arrow still can't get it together with this show.  I watched a few episodes at the beginning of the season then couldn't take it, I tuned in for the x-over because The Flash, and I will not be tuning back in.  The cast it sitll flat, and i don't buy any of that geeky charm thing MB is tying so hard to pull off.  CBS should cancel this thing. 

I don't want them to cancel Supergirl because I like that it's led by a female superhero. I wish they'd...fix it somehow. And I disagree about Melissa Benoist -- I think she's a treasure but she's wasted on this show (she and Grant Gustin together absolutely oozed adorable charm). But yes. I've only watched a few eps of Supergirl and specifically tuned in for the crossover, and little has changed. Supergirl's characters all feel generic and boring. The dialogue is awkward and painful at times. Also the show often looks like it's made on a lower budget than Flash or Arrow, which makes no sense. 

In this crossover specifically, if they really wanted to keep all that stuff in the ep and had to cut it, then...I think they were trying to do too much. Simplify the story or finagle the shooting schedules so Grant could be there for a two-hour event. Maybe cut a few lines about Kara and Jimmy (seriously, it was like being hit over the head with a brick) and throw in that scene of Supergirl trying to do good works or more Cat/Barry interacting?

Hearing the producers' commentary makes me disappointed in all the things they supposedly had to cut for time and scheduling. I would have MUCH rather seen Barry/Cat and Barry/Cat/Kara scenes than all the constant reminders that James and Kara like each other. (Seriously, it's like every character on the show has had dialogue about how James and Kara should be together.) They could have cut some of that instead and I really didn't see a point to Lucy being in the episode at all. 

I don't know if it's because it's on CBS, but there are things about this show that I wish they could fix for season 2. It does feel really generac and a little tooooo cheesy for me personally. I just have never reached the same levels of enjoyment that I have watching the flash and the first two seasons of Arrow. Melissa and Calista aside, I think a lot of the cast is flat and the chemistry just doesn't seem to resonate with me like it does with some of the other Berlanti shows. I wouldn't be at all offended if they did a shake-up with the cast for season 2. Add some different characters and drop some existing ones. Probably won't happen though. 

I think Melissa is so fantastic and for that reason, I just can't give it up yet. I also love the flash so I was holding on until the crossover episode. Seeing Barry and Kara together was so much fun and I really hope they find a way to get Melissa over on The Flash for a crossover next season! 

• Love 1

So, I noticed another frequent plot device in these superhero shows besides the abandoned warehouse thing. It's kind of the opposite of One Does Not Simply Walk Into Mordor, and I'm calling it One Does Simply Walk Into HQ, whenever it's convenient to move the plot along. It happened when Siobah just walked into Catco after being banned from the office. It happened when Curtis Holt (neo-Felicity/neo-gay Mr Terrific) just walked into Arrow's Bunker after stumbling upon the elevator in the "abandoned" (there we go again) campaign HQ. And on the Flash, several characters have pretty much just walked into Star Labs. Makes you want to holler SECURITY!!

• Love 2

Admittedly, I stopped watching this show right after the Thanksgiving episode, I think.

But, I LOVED this episode! So much COLOR and brightness! But I suspect that's due to better production values on this show/network.

A Smallville mention! Come On! Those that watched, had to snerk/snort at Cat's wanting to call Barry "The Blur."

So much goodness. Barry here reminded me of Season 1 Barry on his own show, and oh how I've missed that Barry. Loved both Kara and Barry saying "the who what now?" And Barry geeking out over Kara/Supergirl and her being an alien. Though I admit, those reactions are DCAU Wally West's Flash reactions, but I'll take it.

I've never warmed up to James/Jimmy here. I admit the actor is good looking, but he's soooo chemistry free. And that is subjective, I know. I mean, that kiss? Left me cold. And then he was zombified, like everyone else. I'm going to see if I can manage to find all the episodes I missed, because one, On Demand only has the last four, and I ain't paying CBS to watch the others. I don't quite remember why I stopped watching because I do so love Melissa and her Kara is so adorkable.

And I was stupid. For some reason, I thought that this episode would continue over on The Flash and didn't realize that Barry accidentally landed on an Earth that has never heard of Flash and that just because Supes and Kara/Supergirl have never been mentioned on the other shows, meant, they dinna exist. STOOPID.

I didn't want this episode to end, and I really, really wanted to see a race a la "Speed Demons" from Superman: The Animated Series, even if I didn't care for that rendition/voice portrayal of Flash.

And Kara had oodles more chemistry with Barry than I've seen with James or Winn. Even though, by now, I see that Winn has moved on, but alas, she's now a Villain.

And I'm bummed that Kara Melissa and Barry Grant didn't get to sing together! All I got was one line from "Summer Lovin'" last season, and Danielle was godawful, but Grant was wonderrrrful, so I wanted more, dammit!

So, they neutralized LIvewire with water. Don't they have that water dust Batgirl used in Superman/Batman Hour on its Livewire when she, along with Harley and Poison Ivy joined up? It was a Supergirl/Batgirl episode, while the big BOYS were out of town.

I have only watched The Flash crossovers and everything said about Kara was once said about Felicity. The common factor? Grant

I have only watched The Flash crossovers and everything said about Kara was once said about Felicity. The common factor? Grant

I've also watched the crossovers with Arrow and I've seen Felicity and she and Kara are nothing alike. Except that they're both blonde. Kara is a bit more naive than Felicity.  But I still find Kara more adorkable.

• Love 1
(edited)

Finally got to see this, and MY GOD Kara and Barry are adorable. Like cute cute little puppies licking ice cream. Look, I ship the hell out of Barry and his female BFF Iris over on The Flash, but Kara and Barry are pretty tough competition. They are both just so sun shiny and fun. 

Also, the DEO has truly terrible security. Its like the Arrow Cave, which is an embarrassingly easy secret lair to wander into. Or Star Labs, actually. What is up with super hero shows and their terrible secret keeping? 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

I've never warmed up to James/Jimmy here. I admit the actor is good looking, but he's soooo chemistry free.  And that is subjective, I know. I mean, that kiss? Left me cold. And then he was zombified, like everyone else.  I'm going to see if I can manage to find all the episodes I missed, because one, On Demand only has the last four, and I ain't paying CBS to watch the others.  I don't quite remember why I stopped watching because I do so love Melissa and her Kara is so adorkable.

So, they neutralized LIvewire with water.  Don't they have that water dust Batgirl used in Superman/Batman Hour on its Livewire when she, along with Harley and Poison Ivy joined up? It was a Supergirl/Batgirl episode, while the big BOYS were out of town.

Don't be too disappointed about them being from different Earths where the other didn't exist.  What it did is setup is that Clark and Kara could be somewhere on Flash's Earth but haven't taken up the capes yet. And there could be a Barry Allen somewhere on Kara's Earth that hasn't become the Flash yet.  Not every doubleganger has the same destiny between the Earths, but it could still happen.

The EP's have also said that while this was the first, they'd like to do other cross overs between Supergirl and Arrow/Flash.

Also, I think somehow they aired the shows out of order.  The device Barry was wearing at the start of Supergirl was the same one he acquired the plans for at the end of the last Flash episode.  So we still might get a mention on Flash that Barry traveled to another Earth and meet some really cool people that helped him get back.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just realized that the DEO probably DOES know that Supergirl is Kara Danvers. Remember in the Bizarro episode when Kara was attacked on her date, and the DEO came to rescue her and she went back to the base in her day clothes? Lucy's government people mostly likely have no idea who she really is but the people under Hank do.

They also had DEO medics come get her in her apartment in the black mercy episode.

Edited by Wishing Well
  • Love 3
(edited)

So what happened to Silver Banshee and LiveWire?  Supergirl said they aren't at the DEO, but that the National City Police have some method (what method is that?) to deal with metahumans - so I assume they're in the National City jail?

And how did Shavan know that LW would show up at that warehouse with the beer?

Edited by anonyposter

So what happened to Silver Banshee and LiveWire?  Supergirl said they aren't at the DEO, but that the National City Police have some method (what method is that?) to deal with metahumans - so I assume they're in the National City jail?

She didn't say how they were locked up.  She only said that the Flash had taught the cops how to lock up metahumans, which logically means that he also taught them how to neutralize their powers.  They're currently awaiting their day in court.

• Love 1
Now why would the Banshee be angry at Cat Grant?  Assuming that Siobhan was not exaggerating last episode that she is unable to get any job because the moment prospective employers hear her name they hang up on her...that implies that Cat used her influence to blackball Siobhan from getting another decent job in the city/industry (this was before the fake email scam).   Look what Siobhan did was clearly wrong.  However at the same time it was not truly malicious and Cat even understood the reason she did it.  Honestly I don't think it really merited Cat taking things to anywhere near that kind of response?

When Siobhan said the line about the little blonde twit, I really thought we were headed for a fake out and the Banshee curse would be directed at Cat. I agree that it makes more sense for her to be feel wronged by Cat since I also agree that Cat did truly wrong Siobhan. I'll go one further and say that I don't think Siobhan did anything wrong in trying to get her Supergirl scoop published and using possession of it to change jobs. The video was legitimate news and arguably there was public interest in knowing Supergirl was either dopplegangered again or untrustworthy. Sure, Cat needed to fire Siobhan since she wasn't a reliable employee for Catco, but Cat of all people should have appreciated Siobhan's gumption in looking out for her own career interests. Cat was clearly favoring Kara and was giving the appearance of having used Siobhan simply to punish Kara. (also, Cat handled the video poorly, IMHO. She should have taken advantage of Siobhan having it to get out in front of the story and control the narrative or at least rewarded Siobhan for bringing it to her and looped Siobhan in on trying to get more details on the story)

Because I like Siobhan as a foil and a romantic partner with Winn, I'm bummed that the show abandoned the possession route it seemed like they were taking (what exactly was the deal with the fugue state Siobhan seemed to be in?). Nothing in what we've seen so far suggests Siobhan is the type of person to be blase about killing someone else, and it makes her fairly unredeemable. I know Silver Banshee is traditionally a villain, but the show has taken its own twists on characters before. 

I liked James a lot at the beginning of the show, but the writers have lost any concept of what to do with him. They need to get back to giving him a character arc that's separate from his romantic life. What happened to his lack of satisfaction with his art director role and interest in getting back to photography?

I can buy Barry knowing technology that can hold Livewire but not Silver Banshee. None of them know how her abilities are powered. How would Barry even know that she's magic based much less know exactly how to counter her?

• Love 3

He can probably counter the sound, not the source of her power - the same way he had earpieces to block the sound. On The Flash, they've fought and created scientific sound powers, so I believe he could've done something similar here.

• Love 1

I can buy Barry knowing technology that can hold Livewire but not Silver Banshee. None of them know how her abilities are powered. How would Barry even know that she's magic based much less know exactly how to counter her?

I'm currently headcannoning that since Siobhan's powers, while magic-based, are sonic in practice he is using counter frequencies to buffer/dampen/bounce back Banshee's power. 

• Love 1

Yup, that's what I thought too.  They had the Smallville Supergirl on the show just a few weeks before so it's seems quite likely they know all about Clark as The Blur.  Worst Name Ever. 

For me, the big difference (besides a bunch of other things) is that The Flash has a charismatic lead actor while the Arrow, woefully, does not.  I stopped watching the Arrow fairly early on - the Arrow himself pretty much bored me to death - plus, the story, etc - there are few characters in it I liked but not enough to hand around.

Oliver in Arrow in the first season is a very controlled character and what I too in the first couple of episodes interpreted as wooden and emotionless, I soon realized was really a nuanced performance of PTSD and a man just barely holding it together.  He's not charming but he is compelling and the actor actually very charismatic.  Best of all, he makes me care.  Even when he's an idiot, I care.  You can't look into his wounded puppy dog eyes and not feel something. 

I like the Flash.  Frankly, I like all of the regular TV superhero shows.  But out of all of them, it's the characters on Arrow that I care about the most.  It had a stinker of a season in season three but the reason I was able to stick with it is because of how much the show still managed to make me care about the characters.  Season four has been a huge improvement.  Not perfect but none of these shows are. 

Just saying, don't be afraid to give Arrow a try too. GG first shows up in season two of Arrow before he's ever the Flash.  So don't forget to check that out. Just know that it took Arrow a while for it to find it's groove just like Supergirl.  It's one of those shows that when it's good, it is really, really good.  And vice versa if it's bad, lol. 

They still say it about Felicity.  ;)

• Love 2
Oliver in Arrow in the first season is a very controlled character and what I too in the first couple of episodes interpreted as wooden and emotionless, I soon realized was really a nuanced performance of PTSD and a man just barely holding it together. 

And his portrayal of pre-Island, Island and post-island Ollie was brilliant. I actually think Amell is a very underrated actor.

All these shows have great leads. I think Supergirl is by far the weakest in terms of the set-up and supporting characters. I feel the other shows are telling us a new and interesting story, while Supergirl is just laying down tropes and cliches.

• Love 1

Charisma can be so subjective; I don't personally get any from the Arrow nor do I feel anything at all with his puppy dog eyes.  Maybe I have a cold dead heart....but, he bores me silly.

But, yay, for different opinions and tastes - there is plenty for all of us to find something/someone to enjoy.

Yup, that's what I thought too.  They had the Smallville Supergirl on the show just a few weeks before so it's seems quite likely they know all about Clark as The Blur.  Worst Name Ever. 

Was she any better here on this show? And agree. I Loathed that name for Clark.

I mean take a moment to really think about how stupid this.

Agree, Xenith. Supergirl knows how to write girl angst pretty well, but the super hero stuff is just awful - even cringe inducing at times (like the fireman helping up Supergirl, Silver Banshee who decides to wear make up and contacts ... why?, etc.). I don't know if this is on purpose because SG ants to be a different kind of super hero show, or just the natural result of writers focusing on something else. 

It was so clearly different that Barry, who we do watch on The Flash, seemed like a different character at times (aside from blurting out his identity). Almost spacey.

Chiming in late to say that these two have amazing chemistry and both shows should be cancelled to make room for the Flash/Supergirl Power Hour.

Yeah, seriously, so very true.  My progression about this show has been as follows: I would have watched a new drama about Kara Zor-El just about no matter whom they cast in the title role.  Moreover, I never watched Glee and didn't initially realize even after the casting announcement that Melissa was the gal who had held her own acting opposite Claire Danes in the first couple episodes of the first season of Homeland.  I just knew that she was cute and seemed to have a very accessible personality.  

So then the show starts, and like most of you, I've had some reservations about James, DEO security, and some issues with writing choices (but no more than with Flash or Arrow).  But not only is Melissa amazingly attractive, she's absolutely adorable - not the same thing - and now it turns out that she is not just a good actress, but an **excellent** actress, clearly on display in this episode and in "Falling."  Damn.  

NOW add in Grant and the chemistry between them in this episode was simply ridiculous.  The multiverse explanation!  The ice cream!  The hug she gave him at the end before propelling him back to Earth One!  Oh.  SO CUTE.    

If there's a way to make this pairing happen again soon, it should be done, and I know that SG has not been renewed yet but I'm pretty hopeful on that front.  So Melissa and Grant on Legends of Tomorrow, maybe.  Melissa visiting Earth One for an appearance in Central City.  Whatever; I don't care.  Make it happen, TPTB, and thank you for this magical pairing in Worlds Finest.          

• Love 2

Regarding the banshee makeup, when Siobhan was having those quick visions we saw fleeting glances of the face of the Banshee spirit, so my interpretation was that she tried to recreate that look in the makeup.

• Love 1

... All these shows have great leads. I think Supergirl is by far the weakest in terms of the set-up and supporting characters. I feel the other shows are telling us a new and interesting story, while Supergirl is just laying down tropes and cliches.

Interesting; I think Supergirl has better utilization of its supporting cast (except for James) after some re-tooling during the season. Flash and Arrow struggle a lot with everyone getting meaningful screentime/stories.

This show might be using some (not all) of the tropes from the other Berlanti shows, but one difference I like is that the show features various female characters and relationships - which is rare with superhero/comic shows. Less tragedy and angst, and the lighter tone make this enjoyable for me.

• Love 3

This isn't a show we normally watch but my son is a huge Flash fan and I heard good things so we actually bought this episode on iTunes and found it really fun. There is, of course, the utter hilariousness of the fact that no one can recognize SuperGirl because, duh, glasses, and yet Scream Queen comes out in full makeup with different hair and these same folks are right way, like, 'Hey, how you doing Siobhan"

I liked the banter between Flash and SuperGirl, and both leads are super charming ... Which is hard to do when wearing a catsuit (Flash) and miniskirt cape (SuperGirl). I think super awkward would be the obvious problem.

But, when my son expressed interest in watching more, and we did so via On Demand, he got bored after an episode. Without the utter charm of Grant Gustin we just found this cast, and premise, fairly flat.

I will say though that I was transfixed at how AMAZING Calista Flockhart looks. Logically, I know she's had work done, and/or is probably being filmed via an entire jar of vaseline, but if you told me she'd discovered how to travel through time in real life, I'd believe you because, damn, she looks flawless. Exactly like herself, only much, much younger than her actual age. She's also got all the best lines. If there was more of that, I'd like SuperGirl a lot more.

• Love 2

This isn't a show we normally watch but my son is a huge Flash fan and I heard good things so we actually bought this episode on iTunes and found it really fun. There is, of course, the utter hilariousness of the fact that no one can recognize SuperGirl because, duh, glasses, and yet Scream Queen comes out in full makeup with different hair and these same folks are right way, like, 'Hey, how you doing Siobhan"

I liked the banter between Flash and SuperGirl, and both leads are super charming ... Which is hard to do when wearing a catsuit (Flash) and miniskirt cape (SuperGirl). I think super awkward would be the obvious problem.

But, when my son expressed interest in watching more, and we did so via On Demand, he got bored after an episode. Without the utter charm of Grant Gustin we just found this cast, and premise, fairly flat.

I will say though that I was transfixed at how AMAZING Calista Flockhart looks. Logically, I know she's had work done, and/or is probably being filmed via an entire jar of vaseline, but if you told me she'd discovered how to travel through time in real life, I'd believe you because, damn, she looks flawless. Exactly like herself, only much, much younger than her actual age. She's also got all the best lines. If there was more of that, I'd like SuperGirl a lot more.

Good post.  If you haven't followed these forums or read about the show elsewhere online, you may not be aware that most people who like the show - and even some who don't - agree that the show started a bit flat, and has improved tremendously with some really good, even excellent episodes.  (I personally liked it from the very beginning but I think it has gotten better and better.)  It is certainly true IMO that Grant added something to the mix that has not otherwise been replicated, and he and Melissa deserve enormous amounts of the credit for that.  But there's a lot to like in the other episodes too, including some wonderful stuff from CF.  So if you and your son went back to the pilot as the episode you decided to check out, you may want to try, for example "Falling" instead and see if you like it.   

As a very occasional Ally McBeal viewer from way back, I agree about CF's appearance.  She looks really, really great.  Yeah, I'm sure she had some work done, but knowing only enough about cinematography to be dangerous, I don't detect too much camera manipulation in her scenes.  It is true that her closest frames tend to be solo shots rather than group takes, if that makes any sense. 

(edited)

Good post.  If you haven't followed these forums or read about the show elsewhere online, you may not be aware that most people who like the show - and even some who don't - agree that the show started a bit flat, and has improved tremendously with some really good, even excellent episodes.  (I personally liked it from the very beginning but I think it has gotten better and better.)  It is certainly true IMO that Grant added something to the mix that has not otherwise been replicated, and he and Melissa deserve enormous amounts of the credit for that.  But there's a lot to like in the other episodes too, including some wonderful stuff from CF.  So if you and your son went back to the pilot as the episode you decided to check out, you may want to try, for example "Falling" instead and see if you like it.   

As a very occasional Ally McBeal viewer from way back, I agree about CF's appearance.  She looks really, really great.  Yeah, I'm sure she had some work done, but knowing only enough about cinematography to be dangerous, I don't detect too much camera manipulation in her scenes.  It is true that her closest frames tend to be solo shots rather than group takes, if that makes any sense. 

On Demand only has the three most recent (minus World's Finest) so that's how far back we went. We watched one episode with an evil blue alien/computer that Jimmy from Smash destroys at the end, only to find the bad guy has kept all her pieces. I asked my son if he wanted to watch another one and he was like, 'No, I think it's kinda boring without Flash.' And I agree that Supergirl could just use more fun to go with its sunny setting. By the way, we also don't watch, not even crossovers, with Arrow, because of how dull and dark and dour it all was. I strongly prefer my superhero shows/movies to not take themselves so seriously. It's flying aliens and "enhanced" humans;  I think those inherently silly premises are best handled with a wink.

I do think SuperGirl could use way better sidekicks and though I definitely just dipped a toe in, the whole secret agency (a la S.H.I.E.L.D.) thing was NOT working for me. At all. Villains seemed fun-ish, and Flockhart was fantastic, but everyone else seemed so interchangeably ho-hum. Very little wit or fun, at least for us.

And, yes, I too noticed that Calista was often shot solo and framed in a radiant glow that made her appear almost angelic. Positive that was not an accident, but she still looked pretty freaking incredible when shot with others, too, so it's not JUST in her solo shots (a la Mariah Carey's Hallmark Christmas movie, which was hilariously framed to show Mimi only alone with enough camera effects we joked the title of the movie was "Holiday Lens Flare").

Edited by STOPSHOUTING

On Demand only has the three most recent (minus World's Finest) so that's how far back we went. We watched one episode with an evil blue alien/computer that Jimmy from Smash destroys at the end, only to find the bad guy has kept all her pieces. I asked my son if he wanted to watch another one and he was like, 'No, I think it's kinda boring without Flash.' And I agree that Supergirl could just use more fun to go with its sunny setting. By the way, we also don't watch, not even crossovers, with Arrow, because of how dull and dark and dour it all was. I strongly prefer my superhero shows/movies to not take themselves so seriously. It's flying aliens and "enhanced" humans;  I think those inherently silly premises are best handled with a wink.

I do think SuperGirl could use way better sidekicks and though I definitely just dipped a toe in, the whole secret agency (a la S.H.I.E.L.D.) thing was NOT working for me. At all. Villains seemed fun-ish, and Flockhart was fantastic, but everyone else seemed so interchangeably ho-hum. Very little wit or fun, at least for us.

And, yes, I too noticed that Calista was often shot solo and framed in a radiant glow that made her appear almost angelic. Positive that was not an accident, but she still looked pretty freaking incredible when shot with others, too, so it's not JUST in her solo shots (a la Mariah Carey's Hallmark Christmas movie, which was hilariously framed to show Mimi only alone with enough camera effects we joked the title of the movie was "Holiday Lens Flare").

Ah, well, that's too bad; the episode you watched, "Solitude," was pretty good.  The next one, "Falling," was arguably the best episode of the series thus far, but yeah, sounds like you guys need The Flash in there.  :)  Which actually is not that far from a common criticism of the show, namely, that Melissa and Calista are excellent but that the rest of the supporting cast can sometimes be lacking (I don't necessarily agree but that's certainly been put out there).  Or maybe it's just that the show's flaws are more evident without Grant and his insane chemistry with Melissa.  Anyway, maybe you'll give "Falling" a shot if you want to see a great story and a really moving performance clinic from an amazing young actress.    

We watched one episode with an evil blue alien/computer that Jimmy from Smash destroys at the end, only to find the bad guy has kept all her pieces.
Oh no! I thought that one was the worst of the season. OTOH, the ones I like the best do tend to be the heavier ones. It's weird because I see the show described as bubblegum and sunny a lot of the time in the press--and Supergirl/Kara certainly is--but the best episodes IMHO, were not really so bubblegum. I think it's one of the lighter superhero shows of the TV superhero shows, but there's a lot of pain in the premise and that does affect things. 
  • Love 2