Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E17: Express Yourself

Phil has the crazy idea of going on a spontaneous trip to Paris with Claire; the only problem is that they are both so ridiculously tired but try to push through it. Meanwhile, Jay has taken over their bathroom remodel, which proves to be pretty hazardous for Gloria, Manny and Joe. Cameron's sister Pam is staying at the house after her husband has left her, but her emotional outbursts are driving Mitchell crazy, and he's afraid it's setting a bad example for Lily. And Haley and Andy go on a wild night bender.

I don't care what anybody will say I liked Andy and Haley together in this episode.

Yes, me too. Maybe it's because Adam DeVine has such an interesting and inspirational story that I just want to keep rooting for the guy.
  • Love 3

I'm getting tired of Cam not wanting to admit when Mitchell may have a point. Apparently, though, Gloria isn't much better. I guess the key to a successful marriage according to MF is lying and hiding the truth. Ha ha.

Now, hopefully, Andy and Haley will stay on the same page. They've always been out of sync or misunderstood where the other one was coming from.

Yay, Claire and Phil made it to Emerald City! I mean, Paris... No needy kids this time.

Edited by indeed
  • Love 1

Yeah, I agree with others, this was the first time in a long time that Haley and Andy worked. I was also happy he won all the money, I was dreading they were going to get married in Vegas. They need to balance both Haley and Andy out and stop playing on their extremes so much. Such as Andy being a doormat or Haley not being smart enough to see past her own nose. I have to also agree that both Cam and Gloria need to just admit their spouses points. I get that Jay is bored, my own father-in-law who has been retired for over two years now. He is driving my mil crazy with all his projects and then he has to ask us if we need anything done. I finally had him put in a kitchen sink and straighten up a shelf since I was busy at work lately. Got him out of my mother-in-law's hair and my wife went to work. Made everyone happy. I finally see that they are trying to get Manny to not only point out Gloria and Jay's flaws, but his own as well. Manny has lived in such a void the last few years, not thinking how much his antics have annoyed his mother and stepfather. Just Jay was more upfront with it and now the whole family is: "Manny, we don't care, we love you, but we really just can't care." Him telling Gloria that she thinks this would be such a better idea than just being truthful about things and her response: "Talk to me when you're married." Was funny but at the same time, she just never learns and neither does Jay or Cam. Cam has done such stupid stuff and even now, he could set the house on fire by accident and it would be avoided if he listen to Mitch. Plus, writers we get it, Mitch is struggling with now trying to get his practice and working again, but stop acting like he hasn't practice law in years. Trust me, from my own relatives who are telling me, running your own lawfirm the first few years from the ground up. It eats up time a lot.

Loved when Phil kept misnaming Paris and Alex kept correcting him. Also "Seattle or Oz." Heh.

I've always liked Haley and Andy, and I'm glad to see the story is being used exactly as I'd hoped: to show Haley's maturity and progression as an adult. She's not "wild Haley" anymore and now is with someone that reflects her more mature attitude. I think as long as they have DeVine sporadically, it's clear to expect happy and/or easily resolving stories for this couple. Once he has several episodes of availability, I'd expect more angst.

I also love Jay and Mitchell stories. They're so different, but yet, totally believable as father and son. Jay booking the karaoke for Mitchell was very sweet. And Mitchell solving Pameron's problems with Madonna lyrics was inspired (no matter how mad it made Cameron, heh). Jay has been a really "good dad" this season, to both Claire and Mitchell, and I'm enjoying it. I sometimes prefer stories with Jay's own kids (or Phil) to stories with Jay, Gloria and Manny.

• Love 5

When little Joe got stuck in the tar, I thought I was going to fall over laughing. And so glad they showed Gloria as competent enough to thread that pipe; I love how every now and then we see that Gloria is more than just a pretty face and gorgeous bod.

• Love 4

And Mitchell solving Pameron's problems with Madonna lyrics was inspired (no matter how mad it made Cameron, heh).

This was another example where the whole episode was built around delivering basically one line and have that be the entire  laughter for that episode...sorta like the one in Australia being built around Phil being able to call himself "Crocodile Dun fee".

Only other laughs were Joe lying on the tar and Haley's talking head about kissing the other girl. The rest of Haley was just very poor acting.

Oh, Phil and Claire and their terrible First World problems. Wah, wah, I'm so tired I can't stay up all night to catch an impulse flight to Paris, poor me. Please. Just fall asleep and set an alarm like a normal person, gawd. I know, then there would be no wacky hijinx of not falling asleep all over town, hardy har har. All they were missing was one of them falling asleep face first into a cake.

• Love 2

3 people sharing a bathroom, when 2 of them don't go to work, shouldn't be that big of a deal.... but of course, then it wouldn't be a storyline!

I loved the cold open when Cam's sister was running for her phone and knocked Lilly out of the way. Hilarious visual.

• Love 3
3 people sharing a bathroom, when 2 of them don't go to work, shouldn't be that big of a deal.... but of course, then it wouldn't be a storyline!

And that million dollar home only has two bathrooms!

• Love 2

I'd call that a multi million dollar home.  And you know it's got at least 3:  one in master bedroom, one for Manny and Joe upstairs, one for guests downstairs, and probably a fourth out by the pool.

The wrestling match between Cam and his sister was bizarre.  And poor little Lily must be taller than Hailey now.

• Love 3

Ye Gods, Jay, do volunteer work. Join Habitat for Humanity; they always need people to swing a hammer. There are all kinds of ways to keep busy and be useful and needed.

Joe not crying while he lay there, and just calling quietly was almost disturbing. It's like he's a doll, not a child.

Bedbugs are my nightmare. Never trust an abandoned mattress.

• Love 1

At least they followed through on the infantilization of the Dunphy kids. Claire's reaction to a spontaneous trip to Paris was "what about the kids?" Well, two of them are college age, Luke is nearly so, and there's plenty of family nearby for support. They'll be fine for four days, even if they're all at home -- unless, of course, someone needs a gift or some dry cleaning picked up, in which case they'll probably just call Uncle Mitchell for personal assistant service.

I loved the cold open when Cam's sister was running for her phone and knocked Lilly out of the way. Hilarious visual.

That and Joe calmly stuck in the tar were my two laugh out loud moments in an otherwise disappointing episode. The not sleeping bit was ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as being so tired that you lie down on a discarded mattress for a nap. I don't care how tired you are, the sidewalk is still the obvious better choice.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 3

I laughed more times at this episode than I have for any other episode for a long time.  I like settling-down Haley, and I like her with Andy.  Loved Mitchell in this episode--stressed but not over the top.

• Love 1

Is it supposed to be Summer? Why is Alex always home instead of at school and why isn't it even addressed? This is like the third episode where she's just hanging around at home doing homework that she very well could be doing at school, where she lives now. Alex is actually one of my favorite characters so I'm glad they're keeping her involved in the episodes but the least they could do is try to explain why she's home all the damn time. Even if it's just a throw away line about how she can't get any work done in her dorm because she has an annoying roommate or loud neighbors who are always throwing parties. Something. 

I still can't warm up to the Andy/Haley thing. He just annoys me. 

I too call BS on Jay's house only having two bathrooms. There'd at least be a half-bath downstairs in a house of that size. 

I know Gloria refusing the keep the bathroom door closed was just her being stubborn and wanting to go against whatever Jay said, but it really was stupid. Not only because of the possibility of Joe or the dog wandering in, but why would she want to expose herself to the fumes while she slept? The sight-gag of Joe lying in the tar was funny though. 

• Love 5

I found the image of Joe stuck on the tar just surreal and creepy more than funny. And talk about a contrived plot.

Still don't really care a bout Andy and Hayley. Seeing as how this is his first appearance on the show in about 3 months I had forgotten about them until he popped on the screen. They made a huge deal about getting them together for so long and then he just disappeared from the show for awhile, which is just weird

I renew my refrain about WHY IS ALEX HOME SO MUCH! Here it was just for the one liners needed for the plot.

Cam's sister is just irritating.

And that million dollar home only has two bathrooms!

The Dunphy's home I read would be worth over $2 million in that area. Jay's would be worth more than that. Again just a contrived plot.

I actually found Lilly to be the funniest this episode

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1

I thought this episode was hilarious. Everyone was firing on all cylinders, and I didn't miss Luke at all. Previously, Cam's sister had annoyed me, but loved her in this episode, she plays well off of Lily. Lily looks so much older than 8 to me, how old is the actress?

• Love 2

All they were missing was one of them falling asleep face first into a cake.

Yes, I also don't care for that type of silly comedy that goes on for way too long.

And please don't make Haley's boyfriend more prominent. I didn't like seeing him in the "side camera" role.  He's as boring as they make his character, nothing about him is interesting. A girl like Haley, at her age, would never give the time of day to a guy like that -- the most she'd do is use him as friend, ignoring the fact that she's breaking his heart. 

Other than that, I loved this episode -- the writing, the acting, the timing.  Cam and Mitchell are always entertaining and Lillie is so perfect in that role.  Amazing for a young girl.

• Love 2

It is not hard to stay up all night before a trip to Europe. You have to get ready! I always stay up all night before any long trip, so I found that super contrived.

I loved Cam's sister and the guys trying to protect Lily from anti-feminist values. 

• Love 1

It is not hard to stay up all night before a trip to Europe. You have to get ready! I always stay up all night before any long trip, so I found that super contrived.

I loved Cam's sister and the guys trying to protect Lily from anti-feminist values.

I didn't find it contrived because they were already exhausted after a long week of work and they hadn't planned on having to stay up.