Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 03/21/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Sometimes I've wondered if Carson is a super high functioning autistic. He seemed to be a good surgeon but appears to be out of his depth when it comes to anything else. It's probably just me looking for some reasoning when it comes his behavior, actions and statements.

• Love 13

As a lifelong Marylander, I've read many positive stories about what an amazing surgeon Carson was while at Johns Hopkins. He was apparently an incredible doctor. But then you witness his performance as a candidate and wonder if you'd trust him to operate on a loved one. I don't know what the deal is with him, but, oh my! I agree that he's been promised a position in the Trump Administration. Unfortunately, he frequently seems to have no clue where he is.

Is Paula usually off on Fridays? Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Raven is a moron.

• Love 7

As a lifelong Marylander, I've read many positive stories about what an amazing surgeon Carson was while at Johns Hopkins. He was apparently an incredible doctor. But then you witness his performance as a candidate and wonder if you'd trust him to operate on a loved one. I don't know what the deal is with him, but, oh my! I agree that he's been promised a position in the Trump Administration. Unfortunately, he frequently seems to have no clue where he is.

Is Paula usually off on Fridays? Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Raven is a moron.

My bold.  My experience with people like Raven is that they REALLY think they're smart, but haven't got a clue.  In other words, like my Dad used to tell me:  "You just don't know what you don't know" in response to me trying to make a case for going somewhere or doing something that he didn't feel was safe.

• Love 5

There's definitely something mentally off with Carson. He may have been a top-notch surgeon....so, that makes me question why he's no longer in that field. Why isn't he doing the brilliant work he is gifted to do? Why retire and go into politics - specifically the presidency? God complex?

• Love 12

I was very disappointed that Paula went off about her own show at the end yesterday. Basically saying Trump would be treated horribly if he came on the show, and he's smart to not want to. Sorry Paula, first, don't trash your own show, and second, if any Presidential candidate cannot handle some questions from The View panel, then he/she has a serious problem.

Yes, it confirmed my suspicions about her -- I'm positive she didn't watch the View before joining it. The View is not and never has been, a news show. It's a talk show. There is a difference. Yes, they've always had journalists - Meredith, Lisa, and of course Barbara but the point of the show is to give your view. It isn't and never will be Meet the Press. When the show became more political in 2006/2007 - during Rosie's first tenure- I believe they were able to nab such high profile political leaders because of Barbara Walter's reputation and background with these style interviews. In the past, Barbara always lead them (for better or worse).

Paula doesn't seem to know her role on the show or what the premise of the show is. She sometimes gives her view but most of the time, she tries to fit in facts and derail the conversation. Not entirely blaming her though, Whoopi does an atrocious job as moderator. She usually sets the topic up as  "This happened. What do you think?" She should talk to Julie Chen about how to set up a discussion topic.  However, it was odd the way that Paula chastised the rest of the panel. Isn't she on the show as well? She was acting like they were on one show and she was separate. She also accused her co-worker of trying to be the story. Whoopi is a lot of things but no one would mistake her for a journalist! Neither is Joy (although I think she does a great job interviewing). And neither is the rest of the panel. They are a talk show - the politicians know the deal.

As for Whoopi being rude to Ben Carson - I wouldn't describe it as rude so much as impatient. Ben Carson is so accomplished - he really doesn't need to endorse Donald Trump. Also, it's frustrating for a black person to turn such a blind eye to racism and I think Whoopi was speaking out of hurt and annoyance. Ben Carson understood and basically implied that he saw that but thought there were bigger fish to fry.

I really can't see Paula lasting on this show. 

• Love 10

Sometimes I've wondered if Carson is a super high functioning autistic. He seemed to be a good surgeon but appears to be out of his depth when it comes to anything else. It's probably just me looking for some reasoning when it comes his behavior, actions and statements.

That's very insightful abt the autism angle, Jaded. Carson could very well be on the spectrum. Explains alot when I think abt it and I'm a special ed teacher. Thanks for the awakening. ...haha (cuz Carson always seems asleep).

In deference to Bronzedog, so as to not be amiss, Raven actually thinks that social media is THE WAY things are done these days, and nothing wrong with that, according to her....since that is her wheelhouse. I was surprised that Joy or Sunny didn't mention using intelligent diplomacy to garner tespect above the fray. But I doubt that Raven would understand those words. Sigh. Maybe the hair coloring has affected her brain. That and the cell phone electronic interference on intellectual discourse.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 4

Just now turned it on. Jedidamndiah again? 

Get used to her.  She is exactly the type they want for the upcoming election season (young, energetic, opinionated, personable).  She effectively spews the GOP line and doesn't come across as mean or angry. A new FT co host for Season Twenty.

• Love 3

I find it so interesting that Raven is a cheerleader for gov John Kasich - not even aware that he has defunded Planned Parenthood in Ohio!

Like I said, she doesn't know what she doesn't know.  OTOH, she's certifiably stupid!!!

• Love 17

Part of the reason the View was so successful because they a journalist moderating for so long (Meredith) even though while she is opinionated, she was able to keep it all in check. The entire balance of the show was taken away when Rosie and Whoopi were moderators and were now given the power to have the mic for as long as they wanted. Barbara isn't here to calm the girls down and keep Whoopi in check. They really need someone like Meredith, Katie Couric or someone that is able to moderate without using it to be in control of the conversation or go on long rants. While I don't like how Paula reacted, she had a point. Someone more moderate like Sara Haines would make a better moderator, heck I don't even know what Barbara was thinking making Whoopi the moderator in the first place.

• Love 5

Get used to her.  She is exactly the type they want for the upcoming election season (young, energetic, opinionated, personable).  She effectively spews the GOP line and doesn't come across as mean or angry. A new FT co host for Season Twenty.

I think after her screaming about Obama earlier this week, she can be described as mean and definitely angry. I don't think the election season would justify her hiring. By the time they come back for season 20, it'll be a week into September. There's really only two months left of the election at that point, so why cast somebody just for that when the cast they already have has been doing it this whole year?

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 7

Watching today's show, I just have to comment again on the tweets running on the bottom of the screen.   Not only are they annoying and distracting, but they add nothing!

The discussion was about Trump, Rubio, Carson and Rubio - comparing their campaign strategies.    And the production decides to show tweets that start with  "I like HIM"  or "I wouldn't vote for HIM"  with no mention of who HIM refers to.   What does this add? 

I guess it's just a way to get the ratings up.  People will watch while tweeting, hoping to see their names on the screen. But the producers need to be more selective -  pick tweets that add to the discussion, or don't use them at all.

• Love 6

Yes, it confirmed my suspicions about her -- I'm positive she didn't watch the View before joining it. The View is not and never has been, a news show. It's a talk show. There is a difference...

As for Whoopi being rude to Ben Carson - I wouldn't describe it as rude so much as impatient. Ben Carson is so accomplished - he really doesn't need to endorse Donald Trump. Also, it's frustrating for a black person to turn such a blind eye to racism and I think Whoopi was speaking out of hurt and annoyance. Ben Carson understood and basically implied that he saw that but thought there were bigger fish to fry.

I totally agree about this show being a talk show and not a news show.   Maybe she's confused because like GMA, The Spew is under the News division but I think that's more about budgets than anything else. 

I hadn't thought of the Whoopi/Ben exchange from that perspective Miss Slay, but it makes sense to me. She was clearly frustrated, although who wouldn't be frustrated listening to that almost incoherent rambling or at least that's what it sounded like to me. 

I find it so interesting that Raven is a cheerleader for gov John Kasich - not even aware that he has defunded Planned Parenthood in Ohio!

More than once Raven has said she is learning "about politics" and elections as she goes using sources like Twitter, FB, and of course fictional political dramas on Netflix; she has clearly never taken a civics class.  And yet, she has this tremendous platform on network TV every day.  I find it fascinating. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 2

I think she comes across as both mean and angry.  And not personable at all.  Pretty unpleasant, actually.

Young and opinionated, yes.   But I find her to be really abrasive and annoying.  I actually was surprised at how quickly I intensely disliked her.  I have a pretty high tolerance level, and have never felt that way about anyone on this show so quickly.

• Love 8

Okay, so I was all confused.  I thought Jed was to be in the cast of DWTS -but I was wrong.  Now I really fear that she's Nicolle's replacement and I don't like it.

I don't understand why Keith couldn't have had to segments with the ladies.  I wonder where he's going to pop out - "coming out of retirement".  Since I'm clearly so out of touch, any one have the skinny on this?

Okay, so I was all confused.  I thought Jed was to be in the cast of DWTS -but I was wrong.  Now I really fear that she's Nicolle's replacement and I don't like it.

Now THAT is funny.  She's rejected by DWTS so they put her on The View instead.  What a come down.

I don't like her politics or her tone but I still do prefer a woman with a brain to a vapid seat filler like Raven or Candace who offers nothing in the way of intelligent conversation.  Different opinions I can handle, but stupid?  Not worth my time watching.  That's why Nicole was such a disappointment.  She obviously has a great deal of knowledge and experience when it comes to current events, but then she began to play this dumdum who didn't know anything about reality tv.  As Joy would say, so what?  Who cares?  As important as this election year is I'd prefer a serious panel that could discuss the issues articulately over one that resorts to sputtering nonsense and reading half formed tweets.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 8

I think Carson has been promised a position too. Paula asked him twice and he denied it. He doesn't want to admit to it or divulge what it is obviously.

Paula always takes a day off during the week since she works both weekend days on Good Morning America. Friday was her day off and I also noticed that there wasn't an After the View either. 

• Love 5

I finally watched yesterday's (Friday) show and I thought it was good  even with Jebidiah and Raven.  I find I generally enjoy the shows without Whoopi more than those with her no matter which rotating co-hosts show up.   I did laugh that Joy felt the need to introduce Padma without mentioning any connection to this show, as if she was never named a "contributor."  And Sunny has grown on me - I think she adds quite a bit.   

I haven't seen many of the Jed shows but yesterday at least I thought she was okay.  I like that she's smart and interested in talking about whatever subject comes up which beats Candace any day.

• Love 7

I am not minding Jed so much as she has the ability to heat things up yet finish with control and a big smile so that makes for great debating.

And with Sunny I like the counterbalance and then Joy is a master at pulling it together.  Miss Whoopi becomes extremely emotional in her rallies and instead of having a debate she overyells, shakes her fist, waves her dreds and it is over, cut to break!  Miss Whoopi does not add she subtracts from The View!  I don't mind Paula at all anymore just wish she could control her lip licking and sticking her tongue out like a lizard when she makes a point, seems like a nervous habit.  

Raven just has to go, just has to!  Her eye rolling and lack of education when it comes to expressing herself or talking about current events derails the conversation and watching the other co-hosts watch her struggle to get the words out is painful!

Lose CCB who is just too sheltered to be anywhere near people, lose Raven as noted above and lose Miss Whoopi FIRST!  Oh yeah and lose Michelle who goes unnoticed most of the time except to throw a lame joke in and derail the conversation.  

Four co-hosts with Joy moderating would make a great show or at least a great start.    

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 10

It's hard to reconcile the real man to the one portrayed in the movie about his struggle to become a surgeon.  Hollywood magic.

I happened to catch this movie last week when there was nothing else of interest to watch, and found it to be interesting, but very self-congratulatory.  He must have long arms to be able to pat himself on the back so effectively.

• Love 1
Four co-hosts with Joy moderating would make a great show or at least a great start.    

I was never a big Joy fan in past seasons because when she had her own show I felt like she phoned it in on this one.  But I totally agree that she is a great moderator this season.  Everyone at the table seems relaxed and happy, and she lets everyone speak.     She cuts to break effortlessly  [without talking back to the her earpiece] never uses the "...and speaking of....." to transition and most of all doesn't act like a failed news anchor trying to set a speed record reading the teleprompter.  

I happened to catch this movie last week when there was nothing else of interest to watch, and found it to be interesting, but very self-congratulatory.  He must have long arms to be able to pat himself on the back so effectively.

Well, I think it must take a very large delusional ego for him to think that just because he is accomplished in one field he is qualified to lead the free world.  His campaign was a total waste of resources in my opinion and thankfully it's over.  Now, he can just go away.  Please. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 10

Minority opinion here, but I don't mind Jedidiah at all.  She's got a brain, but doesn't take herself too seriously.  She laughs about her foibles and is able to debate without getting defensive or personal.  Seems like she can concede a well-made point from Joy or Sunny without sputtering or acting like a victim of the so-called "liberal meanies."  I don't like her as much as I liked Nicole (who I thought was more engaging), but I definitely want to have a serious Republican at the table even though I probably won't agree 95% of the time.  It makes the conversations more lively and I'm genuinely interested in hearing from the other side.  I do think she contributes to the panel and gives a voice to those viewers who agree with her.  Varying mileages and all that... 

• Love 6

Minority opinion here, but I don't mind Jedidiah at all.  She's got a brain, but doesn't take herself too seriously.  She laughs about her foibles and is able to debate without getting defensive or personal.  Seems like she can concede a well-made point from Joy or Sunny without sputtering or acting like a victim of the so-called "liberal meanies."  I don't like her as much as I liked Nicole (who I thought was more engaging), but I definitely want to have a serious Republican at the table even though I probably won't agree 95% of the time.  It makes the conversations more lively and I'm genuinely interested in hearing from the other side.  I do think she contributes to the panel and gives a voice to those viewers who agree with her.  Varying mileages and all that... 

I can agree to this. I think Jedediah is the best we can get for the inevitable republican seat. While I like Nicolle better, Jedediah does better at the non political conversations and is more caught up on pop culture. Candace and Elisabeth were both just too, as mentioned sheltered and not educated enough to intelligently represent the republican party. They just get easily offended or take it personal. So get used to Jed everyone

• Love 6

I guess I'm not seeing any of these good qualities in her. I have a feeling someone like her being there daily would drive a lot of viewers away. Besides, we already have Paula filling the conservative seat... And she's leagues better than Jedediah in that role, but that's just my opinion. Paula never has to scream or talk over the others, and seems like she can get along with the others outside the discussions, whereas Jed just looks uncomfortable.

• Love 5

However, EH was raised by liberal parents and did graduate from college. CCB wasn't/didn't.

Then was further "educated" by Geddie and Hannity after marrying into the Hasselbeck family. IMO she never had an original or organic thought of her own.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 4

As much as I disliked Nicolle for becoming a Whoopette, I just think she presented better as a Republican as she used Fox talking points less than Jed.  She also had some non-conservative views, like about LGBTIQQ.

I agree with what you said, but, the part of her that I found annoying was her claim that she didn't know anything current about the entertainment/social media arena.  I didn't believe her and don't know why it was necessary to keep saying that.  It takes away credibility, IMHO.   I liked her in the beginning but then not so much.  But I do think she had promise as the conservative view.

• Love 4

I can agree to this. I think Jedediah is the best we can get for the inevitable republican seat. While I like Nicolle better, Jedediah does better at the non political conversations and is more caught up on pop culture. Candace and Elisabeth were both just too, as mentioned sheltered and not educated enough to intelligently represent the republican party. They just get easily offended or take it personal. So get used to Jed everyone

Ok, I may be persuaded to come over to the dark side of the Jedi. What I liked abt her this week was her single woman's view point, whereas Paula (abd CCB) have that stupid, "my marriage 's perfect" spiel going on, as well as demuring and blushing when asked to talk abt sex...rolling my eyes, cuz they're 40 approximately, right?

I don't like Jed's conservative, Repub stance, (or her over-the-top hand waving) but I 'll take that over Paula's view that we, or the hosts, have to be fair and give psychotic candidates their time. No, we don't, especially when they're insulting to the hosts. Blech.

Jed brings a single woman's view to the table. Michelle talks abt not meeting many dates, and goes on ad nauseum abt the Bachelor, but doesn't really talk abt her social life. Raven is stuck in her cell phone social media as well as in her "community" representin', so I don't count her, unless she opened up more and compared dating or the differences of girlfriends v. boyfriends, cuz she passed for a long time, until recently coming out. I'm not a young single, but I like to hear abt how it is now v. Saccharin CCB and Paula's hot marriage. Boring.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 2

Raven is stuck in her cell phone social media

That is the truth!

And being glued to Twitter. I hate, hate, hate it when she reads  tweets ex "Liz tweeted..............."  as if we know who Liz is. Drives me crazy.

• Love 4

That is the truth!

And being glued to Twitter. I hate, hate, hate it when she reads tweets ex "Liz tweeted..............." as if we know who Liz is. Drives me crazy.

And who gives a f--k? Tweets are a gigantic waste of time. Not smart, humorous, witty, nor clever. I purposely keep my eyes above the tweet scroll cuz it adds nothing to the show. Same with reading tweets. Don't these women have enough views of their own? God knows they talk over each other enough.

• Love 4

I guess I'm not seeing any of these good qualities in her. I have a feeling someone like her being there daily would drive a lot of viewers away. Besides, we already have Paula filling the conservative seat... And she's leagues better than Jedediah in that role, but that's just my opinion. Paula never has to scream or talk over the others, and seems like she can get along with the others outside the discussions, whereas Jed just looks uncomfortable.

I don't put Paula in the "conservative" category.  She is religious and traditional.  While those are hallmarks of conservative types, Paula doesn't appear to be political at all. I know several women who are religious and traditional... and they are wildly liberal in their politics. Paula succeeded in Sports Broadcasting.  Broadcasting is not "journalism".  She is great at reading a teleprompter and asking "how do you feel?", but anyone who happened to catch her reports for ABC News on Super Tuesday night a few weeks ago know that politics is not her forte. That's why she doesn't scream or yell or roll eyes.

As for Crazy J, she is exactly what makes Faux News the #1 cable channel.  Hyper, smart, irrational, pretty, thin, crazy, energetic, motor-mouthed, with a fang-twinged smile and the ability to make fun of herself. There are hundreds of young females in the broadcasting industry (watch any local Fox station across the country) who emulate this approach daily.  I personally think much of it is a purposeful act.   They see the millions that Ann Coulter, Megyn Kelly, and, yes, Bitsy have made.  

Plus, The View does politics all the time.  No matter who wins in November, there will be political issues.... maybe even more than now.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 1

My issue with Jed is that she's abrasive.  She always sounds as though she's lecturing.  And the constant waving of her hands is very distracting.  To me, anyway.   I don't get a team player vibe from her at all, and I haven't seen her offer anything interesting or insightful.  She's not very good at conversation, doesn't seem to know how to be lighthearted, and I just don't see her as fitting in. 

As much as I disliked Nicolle for becoming a Whoopette, I just think she presented better as a Republican as she used Fox talking points less than Jed.  She also had some non-conservative views, like about LGBTIQQ.

I would far, far prefer Nicolle.  Other than the whole kissing-up-to-Whoopi thing, I thought she was a good addition to this show.  I didn't always agree with her, but she always made me want to listen to what she had to say.  And she wasn't completely close-minded either.  I liked that she had a good background in politics and could discuss them intelligently - and she also had a fun side.  

• Love 3

I don't put Paula in the "conservative" category.  She is religious and traditional.  While those are hallmarks of conservative types, Paula doesn't appear to be political at all. I know several women who are religious and traditional... and they are wildly liberal in their politics. Paula succeeded in Sports Broadcasting.  Broadcasting is not "journalism".  She is great at reading a teleprompter and asking "how do you feel?", but anyone who happened to catch her reports for ABC News on Super Tuesday night a few weeks ago know that politics is not her forte. That's why she doesn't scream or yell or roll eyes.

Paula is definitely a conservative. She's easily daytime's biggest Trump supporter. Candace is also conservative--on everything--even if she doesn't really care about politics. Sunny supports Democrats, but is conservative on social issues. Raven defends Trump daily. And even Whoopi, outside of criticizing Republican candidates, we know believes racism no longer exists and that she'll defend any celebrity or man in power who is accused of anything. Why is there a need for more conservative views on this show? And rabid ones at that?

Nothing in the concept of The View calls for a set number of conservatives and liberals anyway, but a group of women from diverse backgrounds. Jedidiah is single like Michelle , Whoopi,and Raven; a former teacher and Italian like Joy; and a Republican like Candace and Paula. What does she even bring to the table?

• Love 6

Nothing in the concept of The View calls for a set number of conservatives and liberals anyway, but a group of women from diverse backgrounds. Jedidiah is single like Michelle , Whoopi,and Raven; a former teacher and Italian like Joy; and a Republican like Candace and Paula. What does she even bring to the table?

Right.  The original concept was to bring women of different ages and backgrounds together.   Single career women and working moms, old and young, different races and religions.   It was never about republican/Democrat, or liberal/conservative, lining up on opposite sides of an issue because of their political leanings.   It was more about women having opinions based on their lifestyles and backgrounds.  Women on earlier versions of the how would speak about their real feelings and thoughts. 

When Hasselbeck joined was when it started changing.  Her opinions were never based on her own thoughts, but were a parroting of what her political party wanted said.  And the trend continues, with the idea that the show has to continually pit liberals and conservatives against each other.

• Love 6
When Hasselbeck joined was when it started changing.  Her opinions were never based on her own thoughts, but were a parroting of what her political party wanted said.  And the trend continues, with the idea that the show has to continually pit liberals and conservatives against each other. 

Sadly I think its a reflection of the country.

• Love 3