Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 03/21/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I think Obama has the right idea, keep doing what your doing and don't allow them to alter your plans, the same way posters here have said they are still willing to travel internationally.  I can see how having fun at a ball game is in poor taste, but he's a human being afterall, and terrible shit happens everyday.

It's not as if President Obama heard about the Brussels attack and decided to go catch a Washington Nationals ball game that afternoon. He was on a scheduled diplomatic trip to open up a relationship with Cuba. A US President had not been to Cuba in 88 years, so this trip is a big deal. I guess he was supposed to go into a tizzy (for once I agree with Raven's terminology), forget plans to continue visiting Cuba and on to South America, fly to Brussels where the airport and city is essentially closed down, and make an appearance in the midst of all their turmoil, huh, Jedidiah? 

Edited to correct name of Washington DC baseball team!

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 17

The idea of Obama just jumping on a plane and flying to Brussels in the midst of all this with a manhunt still going on is too ridiculous to even take seriously.  First of all, the Prez doesn't  just go anywhere - the level of planning and the security involved is enormous.  And right now I think the police and public officials in Brussels are a little too busy to contend with visit from the POTUS.  What good would a visit from him right now do, anyway?  If I was in Brussels, I would be afraid to even show up to see him speak, because the crowd would make too good of a target.  

And  since when does any US president drop everything to jet off to the scene of some terrorist killing spree anyway?  It's not "a thing" the President of the United States does.  Stupid Jeididah what the hell ever her name is.  I refuse to show her the courtesy of googling her to spell it properly.  She doesn't deserve it. 

I admit I could have done without Obama doing "the wave" at the baseball game, but I do understand him attending the game despite what happened.  His appearance there was probably something people were really looking forward to and it would be a shame to disappoint them.  And there is something about the entire world being so stopped in its tracks that the President has to cancel an appearance somewhere that just seems wrong, like it empowers terrorists when they can cause the POTUs to alter his schedule.  But the wave, well, I kind of wish he had not done that.  It seemed a little frivolous. 

• Love 13

But the wave, well, I kind of wish he had not done that.  It seemed a little frivolous.

But how stupid would he have looked if everyone did the wave except him??  I think he just did what was "required" at the time &, personally, I don't see anything wrong with it.  Just sayin'.

• Love 22

I do not wish Whoopi ill health, but at the same time, I don't wish her a speedy recovery either if it means she'd be back in the moderator seat. Joy is doing just fine, thank you very much. There's some serious stuff going on now and Whoopi cannot handle it nearly as well as Joy.

• Love 18

From what I read, the terrorists in Brussels were careful not to attend mosques and shaved their beards so they would blend in with an average male European.  I think Trump and Cruz picture terrorists running around neighborhoods with alarm clocks taped to their chest. 

Exactly.  Muslims come in all shapes and sizes and colors.  Not all of them are Middle Eastern.  They come from all over the world, so when Trump or Cruz or any other politician talks about "going over there and taking care of ISIS" I would ask them "where, exactly is 'there' and who exactly are you targeting?"  

• Love 13

But how stupid would he have looked if everyone did the wave except him??  I think he just did what was "required" at the time &, personally, I don't see anything wrong with it.  Just sayin'.

YES!   The WAVE is part of some ball games.   To NOT stand, or raise your arms up, when everyone around you is doing it, makes you look stupid - or like a fuddy-duddy.  This was a diplomatic trip, to repair relations with Cuba.  

I can guarantee that some people were just looking for a video/photo of Obama doing something that can be criticized.   If there was no video of "the wave" , we would have got "Obama eats a hotdog after hearing about a terrorist attack on Brussels"   or "Obama don't care -  he has a beer at a ball park while the world is in crisis"  or "Obama has already checked out of his responsibilities, he'd rather munch on popcorn than respond to Muslim terror attacks". 

That these women thought that flying to Belgium was an option is ridiculous.   Consider the practicality of it - for security, people who want to fly in and out of the airport might have to be delayed, flights re-scheduled, security teams put in place.  And all that would have added to the chaos and interfered with what the people of Belgium need to get done.   They don't need the US president flying in to make a speech!    And,  the people (press and GOP) who want to criticize every move he makes would have said he was show-boating anyway.   It was a situation where people who want to criticize were going to criticize him no matter what.

• Love 15

I thought one of Joy's finest moments was when she said that when it comes to nominating a Supreme Court Justice, Republicans call Obama a lame duck President whose job is basically done and he should stop doing Presidential things, but then they criticize him for not flying to Brussels. So which is it?

• Love 24

I know, you're right ... it would have been a little awkward for him to be the only one not doing it.  But doing it was awkward, too.  He was pretty much in a no-win situation.  

I guess I would have preferred he made the choice to skip it because while it might have been awkward on a smaller scale in the stadium,  it might have been less awkward on a world-wide scale.  Perhaps his whole little section/group could have skipped it and it would not have looked so obvious.  But someone would probably have found fault with that too.  I can see the headline:  Obama Ruins The Wave For The Cuban People !!!  

Full disclosure: I really hate "the wave" and I wish they would outlaw it.  I don't like feeling pressured to participate in group demonstrations of enthusiasm I am not necessarily feeling at the moment.  

Please excuse me now, I need to go tell some kids to get off my lawn.  

• Love 8

More on Miss Fox News:   So Obama should drop everything in Cuba, and immediately get his ass to Brussels to personally comfort the Mormon missionaries.  Dubya didn't even immediately leave the Florida grade school he was visiting on 9/11.  He sat there bug-eyed and hyperventilating.  When he was finally removed, he still didn't immediately report to NYC.*  He flew around in Air Force One while Cheney tried to seize power.  Giuliani, in a rare moment of excellence, became our de facto leader in those early days. 

*And Dubya shouldn't have immediately flown to Manhattan.   We had no idea if the attacks were over, and the city was not prepared for the POTUS parade.  I think what truly disappoints the Fox News folks, is missing out on the possibility that Obama would have been rebuffed by Belgium's leaders, for safety reasons.  They would have led with the headline - Breaking News!  Lame Duck Obama Shunned by Terrorism Victims.  Should he be impeached?

By the way, when Reagan was over attempting to ease tensions with the Soviet Union, where was the criticism that he was palling around with dictators?  They annointed him a god.

• Love 8

Good Lord. Reading about Jedidiah's insistence that President Obama should drop everything and go to Brussels sounds just like all his detractors demanding that he should have dropped everything and gone to Paris, when those attacks happened.  And even back then, it was explained, that it's not that easy for the President of the United States to drop everything and do this. There's a protocol for such things. The visits are planned in advance. And even when he needs to attend a state or country funeral, there is a process. Security. Just what, about this, does this female blowhard not understand?

I don't find her shrill; but she is LOUD. And OBNOXIOUS, and comes off as a know-it-all. And abrasive, to boot. WHY do they keep bringing her back? I would rather they bring Diane Sawyer to sit with them. She's intelligent and has been to all these countries and doesn't talk out of her ass.  Why this show feels that it has to dump someone from Fox "news" is beyond me.

• Love 13

Stupid Jeididah what the hell ever her name is.  I refuse to show her the courtesy of googling her to spell it properly.  She doesn't deserve it. 

I love everything you said but want to add how hysterical she sounds, viscerally.  Her loud, anxious voice sends my blood pressure though the roof - and I pride myself on my 120/80.

Edited by Fatkat
  • Love 11

The stupidity shown, by Paula, Raven, Jed and Sunny, was quite breath-taking.

Yeah, I can *just* see Prez Drumpf dropping everything, hopping into his Lear Jet and zipping on over to (insert country) with no concern for his safety.  Oh, yeah. /end sarcasm/

All these women need to STFU already. Good Lord. 

I don't know how I feel about Hulk Hogan and the money et al. I *did*, however, notice that extremely bad wig on his lawyer's head. O.M.G. What the fuck was that? LOL!

• Love 7

I don't know why, but I consider everything negative that is said or printed about President Obama a personal affront.  I think he's a really smart, cool dude & doesn't deserve the crap that is constantly directed at him.  I bet he can't wait for his term to be over!!!

It's the same up here with our Prime Minister Trudeau.  My Facebook feed is filled with people who have nothing good to say about him.  Personally, I didn't vote for him, but I wish him well & won't criticize him or how he runs the country.

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 17

Did they mention anything about Keith Olberman and why he wasn't there?  Is he rescheduled?  He should sit next to Michelle in the middle when he comes for symmetry purposes. Last time he looked like a giant among pygmies....

I wanted to see him too so I went to ABC's site to check the schedule and it shows him being on Friday now. He got bumped for Hulk Hogan.

• Love 1

Joy spits out things from 15 years ago with her headline bullet points and then shuts her mouth when challenged. She has always done that. Christ, she still does Lewinsky jokes. They all need to be flushed. Yeah yeah, Joy is loved because she tells 20 year old jokes and when challenged, she backs away like a puppy dog. Just watch any videos of her being called out. She gets away with it because she takes on that oh whatever anyways attitude. I agree with most of what she has to say, but I think she is one of the worst of fighting back when she gets challenged. 

Joy practically read my mind in regards to Jedidiah. Just last week, you were saying he shouldn't do his job of naming a Supreme Court Justice because he's a Lame Duck President, but this week he isn't that anymore and how dare he not do something (even if what she was suggesting he do was completely asinine on all fronts)? And the screaming! For heaven's sake. You could tell Joy couldn't take it either, and kept a pretty tight grip on the discussions. I was very surprised Paula came out against Jedidiah on that point, too; I assumed they would tag team the panel.

• Love 9

From what I read, the terrorists in Brussels were careful not to attend mosques and shaved their beards so they would blend in with an average male European.  I think Trump and Cruz picture terrorists running around neighborhoods with alarm clocks taped to their chest.  They are after a holy war, so I think Raven was getting at we need to be careful what we say because Trump and Cruz are giving them what they want.  I live in Cleveland, so the RNC is coming up this summer, so I keep wondering how much Trump and Cruz are inviting the crazies to do something crazy there.  And I agree, they are probably encouraged with the press coverage in a similar way mass shooters are.  I think Obama has the right idea, keep doing what your doing and don't allow them to alter your plans, the same way posters here have said they are still willing to travel internationally.  I can see how having fun at a ball game is in poor taste, but he's a human being afterall, and terrible shit happens everyday.

THIS ^^^

Im so sick of shooters and bombers names and photos being plastered all over the media -- just what they wanted! \

Just stop.  

How about saying, ; "the shooter, the bomber " NO NAME NO PHOTO sheesh

• Love 4

Everytime I see the wave I think of When Harry met Sally and Billy Crystal and his buddy were at the ballgame paying no attention to the game but always in sync with the wave,  LOL

Just reading about it makes me laugh .... still .... LOL.

• Love 4

I remember way back when Hannity had a complete fit over Obama using dijon mustard on his hamburger or hot dog. LOL

...and if anyone is an expert on wieners, that'd be Hannity. Too bad that's what he uses for a brain.

afire_kandi_sean_karla_afa2.jpg

• Love 6

I don't think we talked about this yet, but yesterday, Paula, who I dislike more and more every day, said this was a case of good vs evil. Joy said it is more complex than that, and Paula said, it boils down to evil.  Holy shit, and she says she is a journalist.  My head explodes. 

However, Joy, who I generally think is the most sane and knowledgeable, kind of started it by talking about the terrorist attack and saying, when will this end, and that it made her sick. It made me sick too.  But then that led to the uninformed on the panel saying a bunch of stupid shit that supported Drumpf.  And Joy should know better.  She has certainly lived long enough to have seen decades of different groups using terrorism and acts of violence.  I do know she gets it, but her comment, when will it ever end, was ridiculous.  How about, when will wars end?  Never.  In many many countries, children are conditioned to hate and to do violence, either as children or when they get older.  This is part of that culture.  It happened in the US too, and from what we see at Drumpf rallies, is still occurring.  It will never end, Joy.  But you know this, and just said a stupid thing.

I didn't hate the Hulk Hogan segments, I thought it was interesting compared to most things I see on The View.  I did have to laugh when at the end, after he was gone, she accidentally referred to him as The Hulk.

• Love 2

As a reminder, please don't talk about your own personal political opinions on these forums. This is not the place for that kind of conversation. It's a forum to talk about the show and its hosts. Thank you.

Have a good long weekend, everyone.

• Love 5

Is sports reporting considered journalism?  Because that's Paula's broadcasting background.   She covered sports for TV news.    Personally, I don't count sports as news, hard news or features but then I'm not a big sports fan.   

I didn't see the show today, but it sounds like maybe it was good day to skip, even though Whoopi wasn't there. I would have liked to see my old TV Friend Keith Olbermann but I think Hulk Hogan is disgusting and gross for all kinds of reasons, but his latest thing with suing Gawker over the sex tape is among them.  

The quote function isn't working for me, but thank you ari for explaining BBM.  I have s teenage niece and nephew and sometimes I can't keep up with all the internet acronyms.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3

I thought Jebidiahmotormouthonewhorefuses to shut up's hair looked awful.

I did love Joy asking her point blank about how she couldn't have it both ways: Either Obama is a lame duck president, who, according to her malificence, "his job his basically over" and so doesn't need to do anything anymore, like nominate a Supreme Court Justice, or he is, in fact, still the President and the Leader, and should still do his job.  And she proves again what an UBER IDIOT she is, if she thinks Obama can just hop on a plane and fly to Belgium.

Did love how she didn't have an answer for Joy and was quiet. For all of a minute.

And No, Raven.  People who are on the Real Housewives "show" is NOT the same thing as an uber idiot who speaks in word salads, being allowed to "play" a judge.  Of course Jabba was going to defend her.

Why no one ever brings up Palin's fear and hate mongering while she was running for VP and even after, during Obama's term, is beyond my understanding.

Paula seems to think being a sports newscaster is the same thing as being a journalist, which..it's not the same thing.

Joy has just been on FIYAH this week!

I'm just grateful Jubba and Raven weren't on the panel during the Hulk Hogan piece.

• Love 5

Ben Carson does not understand the First Amendment, along with so many other things. He really is Chauncey Gardner. Thank goodness, the guy dropped out. Whoopi hit him hard and relentlessly. Good for her.

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 15

I read the exact same thing that Raven said about no public outcry about tragedies in Nigeria on my Facebook feed. Sure are having a lot of original thoughts there, Raven.

Oh boy. Paula just made herself an even bigger target on Whoopie's radar. Look out!

• Love 5

Whoopi is a bully. #Drumpf is a bully. But Whoopi is not running for president. Did you see @realDonaldTrump 's twitter tirade against The View? It's really something, the least of which being presidential. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 9

I never agree with Paula, but, I like that she's not afraid to voice her opinion and take on the big Whoop. Of course, she may have a hidden agenda and is secretly trying to provoke the Whoop to either hit her or have a stroke.

• Love 11

Whoopi is a bully. #Drumpf is a bully. But Whoopi is not running for president. Did you see @realDonaldTrump 's twitter tirade against The View? It's really something and the least of which being presidential. 

Trump has all of the makings of being a dictator, He  is an egotist and he cannot tolerate any type of criticism...I was scared that the show was mandated to kiss Drumpf's ass and I am happy today, that it is not the case....

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 7

LOL  Instead of "who refuses" I first read the end of that as "whore fuses."

Hee Me too! Great minds.

It reminded me of that SNL skit of Jeopardy in which the one dude always sees the words in a certain,... way. LIke therapist as a category was "the rapist" heheheh

• Love 4

Wow. A whole show that I actually watched in its entirety. I don't want to delete it from the DVR yet.

In total agreement with Bronzedog about Paula. I disagree with her mostly but admire that she refuses to back down.

Fun show today!

• Love 5

I love Joy, but every now and then WHoops says something that surprises me .... in a good way.

Did they say that tRump's wife has posed nude in some magazine? Really? Do we really need a first lady who the world has seen nude? Im not a prude, but some things are ... different. 

• Love 7

No matter what Whoopi does or says she comes off as a bully. I give Paula credit for standing her ground.  Whoopi rolling her eyes and sulking because she disagrees with Carson was immature and unprofessional. Her bullying is unprofessional. Joy had a look on her face like "Oh, oh here it comes" when Whoopi started her rant. Sunny sits next to Whoopi and reminded me of Nicolle today.

I wasn't happy when Whoopi followed Joy in today but stayed tuned for Carson. I knew it would be interesting.

Paula and Raven hugging at the end, while Carson tweets about his time on the show. Too bad there wasn't an After the View today.

• Love 5

I thought Whoopi was overly rude with Carson, but at least he deserved it. And I'm honestly fine with her going after Paula over that "We should be fair and balanced" load of BS she likes to play when things don't go her way. Honestly, between Carson and the guy from Gawker, I don't know who spit out the most lies and excuses.

• Love 8

I wish Hulk Hogan had not said, "Afro American." Maybe I misheard.  

Anyway, I love how Whoopi gave Ben Carson the business. WOOT Whoops. [/hate that I am saying that]  Joy was pretty good too. But she always is. I was shocked at Whoops getting in there in a good way and slinging it ... in a good way. .

I agree Whoops was  aggressive and maybe even rude, but Ben did deserve it imo . too.

• Love 7

Trump's wife posing semi nude in a magazine is the least of my concerns about a Trump presidency.

I agree it is the least of concerns. But it seems weird to me that people (some) are ok with it. I see your point and I agree. I was just making a comment on the .... well.. obvious. It seems ... oh IDK the word. I know what Im trying to say. ... not very well. :-)

tRump - It will be a horror show all the way around for many reasons already mentioned above, (imo) I kind of wish they'd stop giving him attention.

I was glad to see Joy and Whoopi call Dr Ben on his spewing and his "points.". They did a good job imo

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

Ben Carson didn't make a lick of sense, and congratulations to the panel who grilled him. I can't believe this guy was an acclaimed neurosurgeon. By the way, has anyone ever heard Trump say that improving education is an important part of his platform, except for getting rid of the Dept. of Education, and of course how great Trump University was?

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 12

I thought Whoopi was overly rude with Carson, but at least he deserved it

It is difficult to be a member of an oppressed group and watch another member of that same group act in a way that is detrimental to the oppressed group overall. I can really understand her frustration with him, but I can also understand what he is doing. There are two ways to survive when one is in an oppressed group-you either fight against the more powerful and try to change things or you assimilate in to their group and adapt to their rules and ways of thinking. I have seen Whoopi do the very thing that Carson is doing-defending the indefensible.  Whoopi has time and time again thrown women under the bus and assimilated herself into the man's world. I was proud of her today, but she has disappointed me so often, it did little to redeem her in my eyes.

ETA-Remember when there was an uproar over the lack of roles for black actresses and Whoopi was all, "What? I have never had trouble getting roles". I suspect some black women felt about Whoopi that day, the way Whoopi feels about Ben Carson today. (I am in no way defending Ben Carson-he is terrible)

Edited by Drogo
Quote formatting issues.
  • Love 11

I thought Paula was really channelling Bitsy today hurling out vague accusations that she then could not defend with a smirk on her face.  I really dislike her now. 

Ben Carson was treated fairly.  He was badgered by Whoopi et al because his answers were nonsensical.  Yes, Drumpf says bad things, but he's a great Dad.  Yes, he says racist things but he has black people that work for him and like him.  Nobody's perfect, but  this guy is the only candidate that can bring down the establishment.  He's a deep thinker when he is not in front of the camera.  All politicians lie.  What he says about me, the personal slurs, don't matter, because America is all that matters.

Sheesh.   

But I did enjoy the fight that Paula instigated, with Joy actually sitting back and watching it fly, and Raven hiding behind her hands.  It got very tense and snarky between Miss Whoopi and Paula.

• Love 16

Ben Carson said that there are a lot of racial minorities working for Trump who would never say a bad word against him. 

YEAH!  no shit!  First they'd be fired, then he'd launch a twitter attack, then he'd sue! Of course nobody is going to say a word against him!    PLUS -  Trump (or his companies)  hires illegal immigrants.  No way they're in a position to say anything. Who talks shit about their boss and thinks there aren't consequences?

Ben Carson defending Trump because his kids turned out OK?   WTF??!!   He must be a good person because his kids, what?   aren't drug-addicted convicts?  Have steady jobs that he gave them?  THAT'S a measure of a presidential candidate? 

THe show today was weirdly comical.  Ben Carson, who speaks slowly and carefully, and in long sentences, against a group of women known to speak in soundbytes, and all at the same time.   When he paused, they jumped all over each other to get a word in, only to find that it was just a PAUSE, he wasn't done! 

Fess up, Ben Carson -   what dirt does Trump have on you that he is withholding as long as you publicly support him?  

• Love 14

I gather Ben Carson has been offered the spot of Surgeon General in Trump's administration, because I can't think of any other reason for the pathetic tongue bath I just witnessed.  It was embarrassing to see Carson whore himself out that way.  He totally deserved the pounding he took.  He made a fool out of himself. 

Someone should remind Carson that Donald Trump's "wonderful" children also had a mother (one who Donald cheated on and discarded for a younger model) who deserves a lot of credit for how the kids turned out.  It is entirely possible that the elder Trump children turned out to be decent human beings despite the influence of their father, rather than because of it. 

• Love 24