Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

(edited)

I'm Jinger. The only similarities, I hope, are photography and curls. 

I'm Jinger too, although I'll be spelling it the intelligent way - Ginger. No curls and no photos for me as well. And no raccoon eye makeup either. But I can do calligraphy. Also, I am monumentally teed off at my parents for the beyond-lame job of half-baked homeschooling that went on here! Only have 5 words left for them now. I'll see you in court.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

Hmm. I got Michelle. Mainly because I picked things like "a job that revolves around my kids schedule" and looking forward to seeing my kids at the end of my day.

I'm pretty sure the real best match for my answers should have been Jana/Anna/maybe Jill, because we all know Michelle doesn't care about spending time with her kids!

• Love 4

I got Michelle, probably because I own my self-absorption.

ETA: I took it again and got "no relation to the Duggars," which is better. I went with the smaller of the two nice bedrooms (mine is in between) and changed one other answer.

• Love 4

Hmm. I got Michelle. Mainly because I picked things like "a job that revolves around my kids schedule" and looking forward to seeing my kids at the end of my day.

I'm pretty sure the real best match for my answers should have been Jana/Anna/maybe Jill, because we all know Michelle doesn't care about spending time with her kids!

I was sure those answers would result in a Jana match!

• Love 2

I've taken that before and gotten Josie both times. It's because of her "independent spirit." I promise that I don't run barefoot all over kitchen counters. 

Yes but do you lick and stick toppings on your pizza?  That's the important point. (kidding)

• Love 1

I'm not a Duggar too. Although I was worried when I clicked I'd medical field they'd say I was Jill. But I think the dancing and booze saved me from being a Duggar. See Michelle? There can be good reasons to drink. 

• Love 5

I don't excuse domestic abuse, but Prissy is so damn frustrating. I'd be pissed of like TFDW if I had to listen to that all day. Having an adult conversation with Priscilla must be like trying to explain trigonometry to a puppy.

I would really love to get Priscilla drunk/high just for one day.  I bet she would be a complete trip!  She's like a South Park character or something.

• Love 2

"Our lives are short; and our children are something that lasts for eternal."

Oh, Priscilla...

The poor thing. She actually seems very sweet, and maybe she's not as dim as she makes herself out to be. I certainly hope that's the case.

But her naivete makes her the perfect choice to be a "helpmeet" to a man who, in all probability, is dealing with some pretty complicated struggles. There are questions she probably would never think to ask.

• Love 2

Oh, Priscilla, that was such a bad video.  I wish David would have a tiny bit of sense and quit making Priscilla perform for the camera.  Her facial expressions get more and more labored and yet again she's talking about mistakes.  

• Love 2

Gah! I made the mistake of reading the comments, one of which mentioned Josie, in the background, picking her nose and eating the result (made me think of a line from one of Bill Bryson's books where he describes a kid as seeming to consider his nose as a "mid-face snack dispenser")...and after that, that's all I could see...

• Love 1
(edited)

The little girls laughing in the Priscilla video is about as much laughter as I've ever seen from those kids. Couldn't tell exactly what they found so funny, but if it was Priscilla's general dimwittedness, I can't blame them. The thought of her children being homeschooled by her is just sad. This is a woman so out of touch with reality that she has no clue she's married to a gay man. She probably doesn't even know what being gay means. I just feel terrible for her kids. They will be completely cheated out of any kind of a decent education.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 4

Oh, Priscilla, that was such a bad video.  I wish David would have a tiny bit of sense and quit making Priscilla perform for the camera.  Her facial expressions get more and more labored and yet again she's talking about mistakes.

Her facial expressions remind me of Anna -- and not in a good way.

I, personally, find Anna's facial expressions really off-putting. I feel bad about it because I assume it's just the way her face looks, and she certainly can't help that. Watching Priscilla, though, I wonder if it's an affectation of that family. They both open their mouths so wide, and then there's an aaaaaaaaaaand, and then some trivial banality. Meanwhile there is a lot of nose scrunching and eyes that are alternately squinty and bug-eyed. 

They both have had the opportunity to see themselves on camera many times, so they are clearly okay with the effect.

• Love 4

I just posted something about Priscilla on the Duggar Friends thread. It's possible she's not as clueless as we think.

She is no intellectual giant, for sure. But I think she comes off worse because of (a) her high-pitched voice, which I suspect she really can't help; Pa Keller also has a very odd, high pitched voice, and (b) her speech defect, something she's clearly never had help for. She looks like lifting her tongue is a struggle, which is why she opens her mouth like that. Can't explain the squinting, unless of course she just needs glasses. I give her credit for trying. But her frequent references to "mistakes" does trouble me. TFDW is a man struggling with some powerful self-hatred, and it wouldn't shock me if he took it out on his wife to one degree or another.

• Love 7

I don't care what causes them, once a seizure starts, it's a seizure. Josie should have better care when she's having one than she got. (First time I saw the clip, actually.) The whole family needs some training in more than simply spotting them. It's a long way until 10, IF she does indeed grow out of them.

• Love 5
(edited)

I can't believe People (and subsequently WE) are rehashing this again. It makes me furious every time. I love Jana, i'm always rushing to her defense, but didnt she have some "first responder"'training? Josie's lips were BLUE! Purple blue, too! i've been around seizures, my brother had epileptic seizures. Why don't i remember his lips turning BLUE? And if I'm looking at someone with BLUE lips, I'm clearing the air passage and attempting mouth to mouth. "She just took a breath!" Cried Jana. Oh for heavens sake!!! She's been SEIZING for 10 minutes; did you check her pulse? It just looked like nobody there did anything but panic. It doesn't only make me furious for Josie: chances are, with nineteen children and now grandchildren stacking up, there WILL BE emergency situations. Odds are, there WILL BE times someone needs a cool head and a plan. Just one more way this family isn't prepared. Never, ever prepared. I'm happy it all worked out well, but holy cow, I wish they'd get a clue.

I remember taking HAZMAT courses and then the refresher doses every year. HATED IT!!! How BORING and how ridiculous to be ready for a HAZMAT scenario in a plant where the employees sat at sewing machines all day. And guess what? There came the day I NEEDED that training AND the gear AND a level head.

Just saying. SOMEBODY!!!!! GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE SAND!!!!!!

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 3
(edited)

Wowzers!! Salon, In Touch(no pun intended) and other news outlets are reporting that Jim Bob turned Josh in to the cops in 2004 after JB learned of an inappropriate incident that involved Josh and an underage girl...

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/20/report_josh_duggar_named_in_underage_sexual_abuse_investigation_after_his_father_turned_him_in/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

ETA: I see that this subject is being discussed in the Josh and Anna thread

Edited by sandyskyblue

It may well be. I've said more than once that I see the media build-up of the Duggars as stage one in the cycle; stage two is the tear-down, and some time later comes the redemption (stage three). This could be the beginning of stage two, or it may turn out to be just a bump in the road.

• Love 3

Oh. My. God.  This is the beginning of the end for the Duggars- it's much too messy.  I wonder if this is the "sin in the camp" we've talked about all these years.  

Damn.

I hope the next news item is the Gothard scandal of him touching his young female employees. Gothard and his odd cult needs to be examined and exposed. 

• Love 6

The Willis clan is not getting good ratings.  That doesn't bode well for them to take over the Duggar spot.  

I've been sitting back waiting to see if the Duggars address the latest stories.  They seem to have mastered the technique of not responding directly to rumors online.

If anything the current media firestorm will only boost ratings even higher. People love a good scandal.

Especially when it happens to such "good" people *eyeroll*. But you know the image the Duggars like to project, so something like this will make people tune in.

I have to say, I have zero interest in the Willis family. I never watched the Duggars because they were a large and wacky family, but because they were a religious dysfunctional one that was so familiar to me from childhood. It's not unlike children who grew up behind the Iron Curtain admitting that yes, they are still fond of Soviet propaganda television. Yes, they know it's bulls$&! But it was their childhood.

• Love 1

I think the Willises will turn out to be more dysfunctional than they look at first glance. They pretty much bore me -- thanks, I grew up with the Partridge Family. Done with that story.

• Love 6

The Willis family was like 13 theater kids to me with mama leading the way.  They are a little more polished than Jill Rodriguez, but far, far too look at me and watch how much I can act and carry on for attention.

I'm tired of the Duggars, but I've hung on all these years and will watch probably until they go off the air.  The newer families mostly seem to be trying too hard and therefore have no interest for me.  

• Love 1

The Willis family was like 13 theater kids to me with mama leading the way.  They are a little more polished than Jill Rodriguez, but far, far too look at me and watch how much I can act and carry on for attention.

I'm tired of the Duggars, but I've hung on all these years and will watch probably until they go off the air.  The newer families mostly seem to be trying too hard and therefore have no interest for me.  

Might just be sooner rather than later.

• Love 5

I find it odd that something like this has come out just before a long weekend.  I know usually major celebrities make announcements on holiday weekends so that the hype dies down by the time the entertainment shows are back on the air the following week (i.e., the Wednesday before Thanksgiving).  The Duggars must be thanking their lucky stars that this has happened on the Thursday before Memorial Day instead of Monday or Tuesday.  Many shows such as The View pre-tape on Fridays and they might even have a few days off next week because of the holiday, so this prevents them from being a major "hot topic" on their talk shows for a few days.

• Love 1

Legally, the report should never have been given out in the first place. And any victim does have the right not to have her name smeared all over the media as a victim. There are those who would like to see the family humbled, and I get that, but we shouldn't want it at the expense of re-victimizing someone. It's their own legal right to protect themselves as they wish.

Enough will fall out of (has already come out of this) without spreading the names of the girls.

• Love 15

Legally, the report should never have been given out in the first place. And any victim does have the right not to have her name smeared all over the media as a victim. There are those who would like to see the family humbled, and I get that, but we shouldn't want it at the expense of re-victimizing someone. It's their own legal right to protect themselves as they wish.

Enough will fall out of (has already come out of this) without spreading the names of the girls.

Absolutely. So many people are delighting in the downfall of the Duggars that they fail to realize it came at the expense of Jana, Jill, Jessa and Jinger's well being. It's awful to have something so hurtful and deeply personal served up as fodder for the public.

• Love 16

Wonder how it leaked? Revenge?

If you go to the Josh thread, you can read the 33-page police report. Spoiler alert: victims were most likely Jana, Jill and cousin Amy.

[u/[/url]

Unfortunately I am fairly certain at least one of them was one of the younger girls. If you read the police report, one of the girls was sitting with him on a chair while he read her a book that sounds like it's probably a young child's book. http://imgur.com/a/zqPMi#21

• Love 2