Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

I want to see Jessa smack Smuggar silly. Those two have never seemed close, and now she really seems to hate his guts.

ETA: Jesus Jail release is either tomorrow or Thursday. You know TLC cameras will be on hand to greet him as if he had just been on a short vacation.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

Im surprised they are getting a show. The 3 part specials were BORING. 

I've been a loonnngg time snarker and I was even bored by the specials and I was totally hate watching!

I would be ok with them bringing back the show if they showed the Duggars actual reality- the lying, lazy, gifting habits of these crazy, brainwashed sex addicts and their spawn.

The backlash on the internets isn't good either so far.

• Love 9

Im surprised they are getting a show. The 3 part specials were BORING. 

I've been a loonnngg time snarker and I was even bored by the specials and I was totally hate watching!

I would be ok with them bringing back the show if they showed the Duggars actual reality- the lying, lazy, gifting habits of these crazy, brainwashed sex addicts and their spawn.

The backlash on the internets isn't good either so far.

it won't last. A season or two, tops. Unless they get rating points for how unutterably boring the Sea-Worlds and Dullards are. In that case this show could go on forever.The leghumpers alone cannot support the show. Not to mention that the Duggars now have the light of national exposure shining on them where they didn't in the first 10 years. Until Josh's scandals, most people in the US had never heard of them - and maybe most people still don't know who they are. If all the people who've commented so negatively in the last year put their $$ where their mouths are, that's it. We won't watch. And we won't support the advertisers. And we'll let the advertisers know why.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 5

The truth is that the girls' courtship and wedding episodes had very high ratings.  To us the shows were boring or tacky beyond belief, but they got their ratings.  The same with the 3 specials.  Ratings mean everything.  I can't bear Jessa and Jill.  I might be interested in John David.   

• Love 3

If all the people who've commented so negatively in the last year put their $$ where their mouths are, that's it. We won't watch. And we won't support the advertisers. And we'll let the advertisers know why.

We can only hope that the dribs and drabs coming out of Crazy Days and Nights blow up into a scandal so large that even TLC can't ignore it anymore.

The only thing that will finally take them down, though, is tanking ratings. And I am afraid they're achieving The Bachelor/Bachelorette status: Hate-watching by those who are so disgusted they're still on the air. I won't watch. I won't support their advertisers. And I'll keep speaking out about them to family and friends at every opportunity.

• Love 4

The truth is that the girls' courtship and wedding episodes had very high ratings.  To us the shows were boring or tacky beyond belief, but they got their ratings.  The same with the 3 specials.  Ratings mean everything.  I can't bear Jessa and Jill.  I might be interested in John David.   

This is certainly true - some people will watch anybody get married/planning a wedding. God knows why. But can Boob marry off the eligible kids quick enough to maintain interest? Or maybe the already-married kids will have to endure another TLC specialty - the vow renewal? Good grief.

PS - what can they possibly show this group of kids doing? That's what I'm wondering. None of them have real jobs. Only Joseph goes to college - filming that would be awkward. None go to vocational training which COULD possibly be somewhat interesting. The boys doing their menial Duggar property duties? Cutting grass? Cleaning toilets? Trimming hedges? The girls caring for the younger kids? Or will Jessa will have plenty of sister-nanny help for the Spurge. And God knows what they'll decide to film in Guatemala or wherever the Dullards are. How in hell are they going to produce this show with such utter dreck?

ETA the PS

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 4

This news doesn't surprise me, given that the Duggars were a cash cow for TLC.  When I read that the cancellation cost them an annual profit of over $20 million, I knew they'd find a way to bring them back.  Should be interesting to see if the big sponsors return. 

• Love 3

JB&M have proven that they will cover up molestation if possible.  Their own daughters were molested and they covered it up.  Quite frankly, I don't think that they covered it up because it was their son who was the molester.  I think they covered it up because they were ashamed.  Yes, they were ashamed that it happened on multiple occasions on their watch, and they were ashamed that their son did it. 

But I fully believe that if it was someone else who did it they'd still cover it up.  They were more concerned about how it made them look to others.  They denied and covered up until Josh went after a girl that wasn't a member of the household, and now the secret was out.  They got lucky in that the girl's parents were also ashamed of what happened and didn't press charges, but were still angry enough to tell people in their closed society what happened.  That's when the Duggar parents admitted the molestation, went into damage mode, covered up as much as they could, and dealt with the situation as quietly as possible.

For the Duggars and their ilk, the whole thing was about the parents.  They didn't want to look bad.  They didn't want anyone to know who didn't already know.  They didn't want to face the law because by the time the rest of their cult found out what happened, it was obvious that they didn't do squat to prevent it from happening again.  Not until that last girl woke up to find their son feeling her out.

Before that, they prayed.  But I bet their prayers were more in the vein of "Please don't let anyone find out, and please don't let Josh do it again".  When someone outside of the family was molested, they probably considered themselves lucky that the parents of the other girl was also in the mindset of not making the incident known to the authorities.  The parents of the other girl were angry enough to let people in the cult know what happened, but apparently not angry enough to bring it to light by turning Josh in to the police.

We know what happened next.  Josh was 'counseled' by a 'family friend' who managed to get the point across to Josh that this behavior could come back to bite him someday.  We also know that this guy was a pedophile himself.  Was he really trying to set Josh on a better path, or did he not want to be involved in an investigation that might expose his own sins?  And how did this one particular guy end up being the one the Duggars opened up to?   Did they know this guy had his own problems with sexual contact with minors?  Did they think that this guy was now 'saved' and could help Josh save himself?  Because this cop certainly didn't do anything to save the girls Josh was fondling.

I think that if JB&M thought that one of their children was gay, they'd react the same way.  They'd lock down the 'offending party' as much as possible.  They'd pray that no one found out.  And they'd use their cult to help suppress the behavior as much as possible.

The really sad thing is, I have no doubt that the Duggar parents would think that having a gay child would be worse than having a son that molested his sisters.  In their mindset, at least Josh wasn't gay, he was just curious.

Spot-on. Nailed it.

• Love 1

Or maybe the already-married kids will have to endure another TLC specialty - the vow renewal? Good grief.

$20 to the local food bank says we're treated to this within a year with Joshley Madison and Anna.

Anyone want to bet with me?

• Love 7

Who the heck is that touchy-feely, modern-looking, totally phony-baloney sitcom family in that trailer-that-looks-like-an-SNL-parody? Now they're trying to sell them as The Duggar Young Folk Come Through Their Trial By Fire as a Closer and More Loving Family Than Ever and Now These Courageous Young Adults Are Movin' On!

What a nauseating piece of propaganda that trailer is. What's with Joy sitting there pensively tearful looking like a well-dressed stray dog in a Humane Society fundraising ad? Since when are they hugging each other and bouncing off each other all the time? And how the heck are they going to work Josh back in -- which they'll have to do if they're featuring Anna? Looks to me as if this series could turn out to be more of a pile of lying shit than 19 Kids.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10

There is a thin ray of hope there. I do recall a couple of episodes where things were edited less than flatteringly, like when they went to the creation "museum" and the kids were asked to explain the problems with the theory of evolution and none of them could, except to stammer for a while and then say "because Bible?"

• Love 9

There is a thin ray of hope there. I do recall a couple of episodes where things were edited less than flatteringly, like when they went to the creation "museum" and the kids were asked to explain the problems with the theory of evolution and none of them could, except to stammer for a while and then say "because Bible?"

I noticed that too. Thought it was odd at the time, then thought maybe TLC is truly trying to start something. After all, it's in their own best interest to keep people watching, but TLC is certainly not going to care whether people watch because they love them - or because they loathe them. And they did air the miniature golf course-humping footage. Would a network that genuinely cared about the Duggars do that?

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 7

I really do like that black dress and boots Joy is wearing. She looks really good, and I'd totally wear that entire outfit.

However, I do not need them back on my TV. The promo was awful and cheesy and Ben and Jessa are complete dullsville. Although, this is the happiest I have ever seen her. She just be so stoked to be back in the spotlight.

• Love 1

Shit. That promo was awful. The girls are unrecognizable.

1pxr9e.png

Keep your arms down, John-David.

2qwd36d.png

Our ensemble cast? Where is fricken Jill? This the Jessa and friends Hour.

9a1vkk.png

aowfpg.png

Maybe they've solved the "Jana won't be exciting tv viewing" problem by casting someone else as Jana. .... Cuz who is that? Ditto for Jinge.

I really do like that black dress and boots Joy is wearing. She looks really good, and I'd totally wear that entire outfit.

However, I do not need them back on my TV. The promo was awful and cheesy and Ben and Jessa are complete dullsville. Although, this is the happiest I have ever seen her. She just be so stoked to be back in the spotlight.

And not only is she back, but rival Jill didn't make it back in time for the promo.

Jessa: "Score!"

• Love 9

Who are those people?

Are the four whoevers in that top photo the ones "healing"?

I think I recognize Spurge (process of elimination). Kinda' looks like he might purge.

And there's an innocent dog involved?

Wow.

• Love 7

Look at the weirdness of Bin being behind Jinger! Isn't Jessa jealous? We all know that Bin and Jinger would have made a better couple. Annnddddd it looks like now that Jessa has a baby prop that she is leaving Bin behind because the baby is more fun.

• Love 2

The show's TITLE is Jill and Jessa Counting On and Jill's not in the promos? What kind of half-assed, whack-job, last-minute crap is that? For God's sake, it's not as if Jill and Derick are DOING anything. 

• Love 11

Bolding mine

Look at the weirdness of Bin being behind Jinger! Isn't Jessa jealous? We all know that Bin and Jinger would have made a better couple. Annnddddd it looks like now that Jessa has a baby prop that she is leaving Bin behind because the baby is more fun.

And the baby is much easier to pose with.

Is that really awkward jumpy one supposed to be a look at them taking a selfie?

Am I overthinking this?

Is this the flashback I was promised?

The show's TITLE is Jill and Jessa Counting On and Jill's not in the promos? What kind of half-assed, whack-job, last-minute crap is that? For God's sake, it's not as if Jill and Derick are DOING anything. 

Agree, but then it is very typical for TLC. Which seems to hire people that wouldn't be hired elsewhere - honestly this is my impression. At the broadcast networks or the premium cable networks or even the second-tier cable networks. I actually believe many of them have little to no training in this kind of work. Lots of "on-the-job" going on here, and being led by other people who weren't formally-trained either, but have just been there longer.

• Love 4

I had a long day at work, but that promo makes me loose all faith in humanity. It's incredible that a TV network can be so embedded in a family's dysfuction. I wish SOMEONE in that group woudl realize waht long-erm harm this is doing to everyone.

I hope it fails, quickly.

No Jim Bob and Michelle in sight. Good. Jessa is the new you, Jichlle!

• Love 10

That first image of the four sisters looks like it has been photo-shopped severely and oddly.  Also I thought it was for that Gypsy Sisters show. 

Love how Jessa and baby are front center and the Spurgeon-Donor is consigned to the rear.  Shows where he stands in the family.  And in his own little new family.  I wonder if he will ever be bright enough to figure that out?

• Love 9

Add to that how Jessa is holding up Spoogy like it's the frikkin Lion King. Since I can be 100% sure that she's never seen that movie, it's purely coincidence that she realizes that the baby is her Golden Ticket. No baby, no show. 

• Love 15

Jessa will never adopt, either. I wonder if TLC even filmed anything new with Jill. Maybe they can repurpose unused footage from the specials. The leghumpers will never know. Hell, maybe they can just recreate the Dillards in CGI and save the crew plane fare.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 3

They arex jumping like the Bateses for the inevitable surprise courting of Lawson and Jinger. Foreshadowing.

Jinger will steal the whole show from Jessa. Justice! Good name for Lawson and Jinger`s first.

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 8

Have the Duggar girls spent time at the plastic surgeons or is that just really bad photoshopping? They look completely different.

Boy, they really are hitting the ho stroll hard for this show though, aren't they? All those fakey-fake smiles must have left their faces sore for hours.

• Love 11

Yup the promo pics are odd. Like Lookey said, they're copying the Bates' trampoline opening.

Hugging??!!

And Jessa looks just like Michelle to me.

This is bizarre; They are a reality TV  family. They can't re-cast new folks in like Darren on Bewitched. And they can't change their roles. You can't rebrand a real family. WTF?!

• Love 5

Disgusted but not surprised, since the ratings were pretty big for basic cable. Many nights TLC doesn't have any shows in the entire top 100.

Wonder if today's announcement of the indictments of the FDLS for fraud will cause people to pull back from other Christian fundamentalists.

What is with Jessa's hand on Joy's face in that first cap? Like, was it meant to be a comforting gesture? Because it failed

And not only is she back, but rival Jill didn't make it back in time for the promo.

Jessa: "Score!"

I hope Jessa is done pretending TV is a thing that happened to her family. 

• Love 7

Shit. That promo was awful. The girls are unrecognizable.

1pxr9e.png

Keep your arms down, John-David.

2qwd36d.png

Our ensemble cast? Where is fricken Jill? This the Jessa and friends Hour.

9a1vkk.png

aowfpg.png

Wait this is real?

Only Jana can save the show. Maybe a Jana wedding.

• Love 1

I nearly fainted when I saw the commercial for 'Counting On'. First thought was that TLC is just absolutely determined to shove this family down our throats AGAIN.

I've had enough of anything remotely connected to the Duggars.

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 3