Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

If he gets a bible-believing degree! So far all we have is a rumor of one online course. And he's probably starting at or nearly from scratch with the religion courses, since his community college degree was either in business or something related to political science .... (or both. ha)

If he has to be Jessa's day help every time she's pregnant, plus do filming and clean Jim Bob's sewage chambers, it's going to be a while before he cobbles together even another associates' degree. A long while, I'm thinking.

Even if he got it, though, I have a hard time seeing him getting a job with it unless the education process really improves him. Hard to see him being flexible and warm enough to really work well with a bunch of kids; working with kids also tends to require hard work, mentally, physically and emotionally, and that's not down the Duggar alley; he's always madly trying to be someone he's not by impersonating someone hip and cool -- which doesn't go over well with kids; he seems to live to pontificate -- which doesn't go over well with kids either; and he doesn't even pontificate clearly -- usually what he says makes no sense. And those are just a few of his non-qualifications, seems to me. I would think most anybody would have better candidates for the job.

C'mon now, he's all ready to start adopting his fifteen SONS. Clearly he has a heart for children - well, boys, anyway. He will have plenty of time and energy left over for kids in need. Well, boys.

• Love 7

Bin is a little pissant. He's only 20 or 21 and thinks he can provide others with Godly wisdom? Fuck him. That's what bothers me about the Duggars. So little life experience, so much ignorance and a know-it-all attitude.

"The big problem with the world is that all the intelligent people are full of doubts and all the stupid people are full of confidence" - Charles Bukowski

• Love 21

The posts on the Good Morning America Facebook page are quite refreshing.  Instead of being a silly echo chamber for the leghumpers to trip over themselves trying to see who can outdo the others licking Jim Bob's boots, the responses are quite critical of TLC and ABC for giving them more airtime.

It's enough to almost restore my faith in humanity.  Almost.

Edited by WescottF1
  • Love 9

I watched the GMA clip & all I can say is You Go Robin Roberts. She didn't do the interview but should have & had some interesting comments at the end. She questioned how they could have even had a show knowing they had secrets in their closet & how they seemed to fool the viewers with their being the perfect family. Of course, we had to hear they never claimed to be one. I was surprised that JD did a lot of the talking.

• Love 5

Was I the only one who caught J&JCO First Look?

Obviously, it was the first few minutes of the show. It was dull. Jessa and Ben packing up the baby to go somewhere. I FF through Jill because I can't stand her. Jim Bob and Michelle were nowhere to be found.

• Love 2

http://www.inquisitr.com/2887318/duggar-family-speaks-out-ahead-of-tlc-premiere-healing-forgiveness-and-a-double-wedding/

Jessa hints at the twins marrying, good grief, aren't those boys 17??? Jessa also says the TV is not always our friend, but if we could just encourage one family.... Please, encourage one family to marry young, while still uneducated, and try to catch a baby before you even try to catch a job, and encourage one family to suppress their true emotions and thoughts and just say the right thing. And to never leave daddy's umbrella even after he signs you over to your new Headship?

I forgot to add that JD blames satan, of course, for Josh's wrongdoing!

• Love 10

Jessa hints at the twins marrying, good grief, aren't those boys 17???

Oh Jesus. MARRIAGE DOES NOT FIX EVERYTHING. It's like they're trolling for attention. They'll be backing child marriage and female circumcision soon, as long as i nets them a few more hours on TLC.

• Love 5

The posts on the Good Morning America Facebook page are quite refreshing.  Instead of being a silly echo chamber for the leghumpers to trip over themselves trying to see who can outdo the others licking Jim Bob's boots, the responses are quite critical of TLC and ABC for giving them more airtime.

It's enough to almost restore my faith in humanity.  Almost.

Thanks for alerting me to this.

I just went and read.   Awesome!  I couldn't watch this morning because ....   I know it is awful ...... but I am a woman, a mother, and I have a job outside the home I had to go to.  I  know, I know:  the horror.

• Love 5

When JD said, " the devil tried tearing our family apart..." I hope by "devil" he means Josh.

Wow, more non-responsibility.  Not "our son sinned" or even the famous "mistakes were made" now it is the devil's fault.

Run, Anna, run!

• Love 7

When JD said, " the devil tried tearing our family apart..." I hope by "devil" he means Josh.

Humans are only responsible for the good stuff (they pretend to do in front of cameras), anything negative is the devils carpentry crew.

I wonder if they see the conflict of their 'lying' about the reality of their lives. Just stop and think about it: if TLC has to create scenes, either you are a liar, or a shitty acting troupe. If this is your ministry, and you are really trying to use tv as a medium for Gothardism/Bible Believing or whatever name you made up,  then show the truth. If you WON"T show the truth, think about WHY.

• Love 12

Humans are only responsible for the good stuff (they pretend to do in front of cameras), anything negative is the devils carpentry crew.

I wonder if they see the conflict of their 'lying' about the reality of their lives. Just stop and think about it: if TLC has to create scenes, either you are a liar, or a shitty acting troupe. If this is your ministry, and you are really trying to use tv as a medium for Gothardism/Bible Believing or whatever name you made up,  then show the truth. If you WON"T

show the truth, think about WHY.

THIS!!

Why not show the truth? Because it's ugly. It's not stupid parties and trips to the ice cream parlour. It's child abuse, suppression, and uneducated people parading themselves as holier than thou.

• Love 13

I wonder if they see the conflict of their 'lying' about the reality of their lives. Just stop and think about it: if TLC has to create scenes, either you are a liar, or a shitty acting troupe. If this is your ministry, and you are really trying to use tv as a medium for Gothardism/Bible Believing or whatever name you made up,  then show the truth. If you WON"T show the truth, think about WHY.

What's really ironic about this is how unbiblical this concept of blaming the devil really is. They wouldn't have even had to get that far into the Bible to see this isn't how it works. Just look at Adam and Eve. She was tempted by the actual devil and she was still required to face consequences for her actions. 

I was happy to see in this latest article that they called the Duggars followers of IBLP because they certainly are not followers of the Bible.

• Love 14

THIS!!

Why not show the truth? Because it's ugly. It's not stupid parties and trips to the ice cream parlour. It's child abuse, suppression, and uneducated people parading themselves as holier than thou.

In I Fired God, Jocelyn Zichterman's church distributed literature instructing parents to use the rod on the arms and legs, where bruises could be easily covered. They also instructed parents on what to say to CPS if they were ever investigated, all under the guise of "heathens won't understand godly discipline." The people in power positions know good and damn well what they're doing is illegal. There is plenty the Duggars deliberately do not show.

• Love 10

I think that was a stupid thing for JD to say.

Josh made his own bed and now he has to lie in it. (sick perv would probably like that)

He made choices and they have consequences.

Notice how they were all so "angry" when it first happened and now they have a new show with some potential story lines such as a vow renewal or a book deal...now they are all so forgiving.

I have zero patience for that "the devil made me do it".

• Love 9

Josh made his own bed and now he has to lie in it. (sick perv would probably like that)

Notice how they were all so "angry" when it first happened and now they have a new show with some potential story lines such as a vow renewal or a book deal...now they are all so forgiving.

I do not for a minute believe that every one of them is so forgiving and fine with it. They have been taught to keep quiet and suck it up. They have been shown time after time that their feelings are not important to their parents and speaking up is only met with scorn. Now in addition they are being told that any dissent in the ranks will destroy the entire family and it will be all their fault. I'm sure a few of them have convinced themselves they are fine and are all about the TV exposure, but I guarantee more than one of those girls, and probably boys too, are in a great deal of emotional pain and suffering in silence. 

• Love 9

All the comment sections on the articles I've read were 100% negative. I still think the show will do well for a week or two, then ratings will drop. God knows what hook they have planned for the finale. (You know there has to be one.)

• Love 4

I guess because it's the only thing the little tape recorders inside their heads can say. If I do something good, Jesus actually did it. That's why nobody deserves to be praised for their successes, such as athletic or academic triumph, for example. Not their doing. God's. (tm Preacher Bin)  Contrariwise, if I do something bad, Satan did it. So don't blame Josh! (tm All the Duggars)

Makes you wonder why those spiritual powers bothered with having human beings at all , since we have no agency whatsoever. What a dumb universe they want us all to live in. .... Although I guess this view makes it a lot easier for the lazy, stupid and venal. Satan's the cause of everything bad you might do and effort or thought are never praiseworthy. So just chill and drink your Starbucks.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

I do not for a minute believe that every one of them is so forgiving and fine with it. They have been taught to keep quiet and suck it up. They have been shown time after time that their feelings are not important to their parents and speaking up is only met with scorn. Now in addition they are being told that any dissent in the ranks will destroy the entire family and it will be all their fault. I'm sure a few of them have convinced themselves they are fine and are all about the TV exposure, but I guarantee more than one of those girls, and probably boys too, are in a great deal of emotional pain and suffering in silence.

I totally agree.

And I think JD has NOT forgiven Josh at all. He was sincerely angry in the previous clips and I bet he hates Josh deep down. Repress Repress! Probably why he answered the question...he is trying to talk himself into these forgiving feelings. JD is the closest male in age to Josh. Who knows what he knew, saw or suspected both way back and recently with Ashley Madison.

I'm sure the girls have more complicated feelings, way more complicated for me to guess.

But I feel comfortable saying that JD is following his father's orders of how Josh is all forgiven. Probably why he brought the devil up...he can't even discuss Josh rationally.

The show needs a good story line. People were angry so the Duggars were angry with us! Then Josh is relased and J&JCO tested out reasonably well for TLC so a more happy, loving, forgiving family is being presented.

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 2

One has to wonder if the Duggars had approval over who was doing the interview on GMA. And I'm happy to know that Robin Roberts let them have it after their segment.

"The devil made him do it" is the lamest excuse in Christiandom. It's right up there with "The Lord told me..." Come on. Joshley Madison has been dealing with his problems for a long time now while his family ignores them/blames them on another entity. It's unfortunate they won't face what's really going on. And Jessa Blessa, there isn't "one family" that's going to be helped by viewing YOUR family on TV, unless it shows them that they need licensed, professional help.

• Love 3

I agree, when they hear negative press they shut down. For instance with the Pearls, they have tried to wipe them from the Duggar history. If they believe in the spare the rod, spoil the child theory then own it. If they now realize that it's wrong, then share that with the audience as well. Michelle openly spoke about blanket training (I can't even stand typing that), and instant obedience, etc in the beginning, now she says nothing. How refreshing it would be to hear them say, God laid in in our hearts that we got it wrong. We prayed on it and now do this instead.

You can't be filmed going shopping or celebrating a birthday and call that a ministry, that's called making a buck.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 8

When I hear that claptrap, I just want to say GET OVER YOURSELF! Don't they think Satan has bigger fish to fry? Actually, I feel the same when they brag about all their blessings. Yeah. God worries about getting your TV show back while babies are dying of cancer. I think he is probably busier inspiring pediatric oncologists, etc.

(I think Satan is busy with various presidential hopefuls.)

• Love 17

When I hear that claptrap, I just want to say GET OVER YOURSELF! Don't they think Satan has bigger fish to fry? Actually, I feel the same when they brag about all their blessings. Yeah. God worries about getting your TV show back while babies are dying of cancer. I think he is probably busier inspiring pediatric oncologists, etc.

(I think Satan is busy with various presidential hopefuls.)

Indeed!

• Love 6

The bold is mine because the quote is wonky.

Sticky sheets and all.  Put me down in the zero patience column.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 1

Funny thing is that Josh never blamed Satan or outside temptation for his actions, at least not publicly. I felt like JD was very much on Josh's side in this whole thing and was standing up for him. I think that's also why he spoke first. He's the eldest of the brothers at home and wasn't going to take a chance on somebody getting the answer "wrong."

I'm squicked out by the other kids revolving around Jessa as if she's the center of the universe now. Gag.

• Love 5

Part of Josh's original statement:

“The last few years, while publicly stating I was fighting against immorality in our country, in my heart I had allowed Satan to build a fortress that no one knew about.”

• Love 2

I did not watch this morning's extravaganza, but the interviewer evidently asked the over 18's on the couch to raise their hands if they still lived at home. Everyone but Jessa Blessa and Bin raised their hands.

Imagine the fun of being 26 and living in a "dorm room" with a five-year-old sibling. And I'm really pissed that there is no news org on the face of the planet that will not pin down Jim Boob and J-Chelle on the fact that they have adult children with no jobs, no goals, no education and no freedom living under their roof.

• Love 10

I did not watch this morning's extravaganza, but the interviewer evidently asked the over 18's on the couch to raise their hands if they still lived at home. Everyone but Jessa Blessa and Bin raised their hands.

Imagine the fun of being 26 and living in a "dorm room" with a five-year-old sibling. And I'm really pissed that there is no news org on the face of the planet that will not pin down Jim Boob and J-Chelle on the fact that they have adult children with no jobs, no goals, no education and no freedom living under their roof.

Add to that, why aren't the news organizations asking them about their views on the LGBT community, blanket training, and other issues that they are known for promoting away from the tee-vee? Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 6

These issues seem to be on the Duggars' no-no list for interviews (forget the term, sorry). Robin Roberts made her argument about the new show based solely on the Joshgates, which got them first put on haitus, then canceled. But let's face it, we knew TLC would come back; they supported them in spite of their hateful values and abusive/demeaning practices, likely even KNOWING what happened before they started filming the very first special. 

Robin Roberts' question about why these people still have a show will fall on deaf ears because the Duggars and TLC are classically co-dependent. Hopefully, this eight week run will bore people to death, and the people will speak by watching something else. 

Yeah, and Trump is a fuzzy teddy bear. 

• Love 7

I agree, when they hear negative press they shut down. For instance with the Pearls, they have tried to wipe them from the Duggar history. If they believe in the spare the rod, spoil the child theory then own it. If they now realize that it's wrong, then share that with the audience as well. Michelle openly spoke about blanket training (I can't even stand typing that), and instant obedience, etc in the beginning, now she says nothing. How refreshing it would be to hear them say, God laid in in our hearts that we got it wrong. We prayed on it and now do this instead.

You can't be filmed going shopping or celebrating a birthday and call that a ministry, that's called making a buck.

Maybe that's why they trot out the "we're not perfect" and 'we never asked to be people's role models" (the latter is a paraphrase). 

Like those bad-boy and/or -girl dates you had, who acted nice and charming, but said "don't trust me, I'm a bitch/bastard", as their little trapdoor, so that they could then turn around after they did something wrong that belied the niceness and charm, and say "but I always said I was trouble.  Not my fault if you didn't believe me!"  Well, then don't bother trying to charm and be nice!  

The Duggary little trapdoor, pretend you never wanted anyone to consider you their role model (while all the while lecturing everyone else on Good Behavior, their morals and underclothes), so there's no pressure to actually live up to it.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 8

In the GMA piece, Jessa trotted out the "If we can help just ONE family (person? I forget)..." bullshit line. Honey, we know it's all about the benjermins. The show will allow Ben to pay his $20,000 tuition for the bible college and you to continue your life of hair curling, selfies, and scathing judgment on the internet. 

• Love 12
I do not for a minute believe that every one of them is so forgiving and fine with it. They have been taught to keep quiet and suck it up.

Anyone familiar with The Book of Mormon? There's a whole song, sung by a gay missionary, how the church teaches any problems can be solved by just turning them off. Probably the same 'counseling' offered by RU.

I got a feelin' that you could be feelin'

A whole lot better than you feel today

You say you got a problem...well, that's no problem!

It's super easy not to feel that way

When you start to get confused because of thoughts in your head –

Don't feel those feelings – hold them in instead!

Turn it off!

Like a light switch

Just go 'click'!

It's a cool little Mormon trick

We do it all the time

When you're feeling certain feelings that just don't seem right

Treat those pesky feelings like a reading light –

And turn 'em off!

Like a light switch

Just go 'bap'!

Really, what's so hard about that?

Turn it off!

Turn it off!

• Love 4

In the GMA piece, Jessa trotted out the "If we can help just ONE family (person? I forget)..." bullshit line. Honey, we know it's all about the benjermins. The show will allow Ben to pay his $20,000 tuition for the bible college and you to continue your life of hair curling, selfies, and scathing judgment on the internet. 

What the hell can they possibly help people with? Even if they weren't unutterably misguided, ignorant and stupid, on their shows they never do anything or actually say anything. What can anyone possibly expected to learn from watching people heat frozen lasagna, walk on kitchen counters and repeat the exact same platitudes over and over and over for more than a decade?

• Love 14

The Duggary little trapdoor, pretend you never wanted anyone to consider you their role model (while all the while lecturing everyone else on Good Behavior, their morals and underclothes), so there's no pressure to actually live up to it.

And, you know, publicly stating that they consider their show to be their "ministry". They all have zero short-term memory and just say whatever comes into their head whether it completely contradicts what they said five minutes ago or not.

• Love 5

And, you know, publicly stating that they consider their show to be their "ministry". They all have zero short-term memory and just say whatever comes into their head whether it completely contradicts what they said five minutes ago or not.

If they really considered their show to be a ministry, they would be donating all of their proceeds to charity, i.e., actually doing something to help people.  

• Love 14

I was googling to find the GMA interview solely to watch Robin's snark after and while I couldn't find it, I found articles referencing it.  They were all titled along the lines of  "The family has forgiven Josh".  I quit looking because I am quite hung up on WHY in the hell (no pun intended, satan) the family needs to forgive him for infidelity????  Umm, ya'll aren't sharp so imma help you understand.  He cheated on ANNA, not on ya'll.  Therefore, ANNA needs to forgive him, again - not ya'll.  This family is so all up in each others business and sex lives - too creepy!

• Love 10

If they really considered their show to be a ministry, they would be donating all of their proceeds to charity, i.e., actually doing something to help people.  

TRUTH.

• Love 2

I don't for a minute consider the Duggars show to be a ministry of any kind but I hear this kind of stuff all the time about people in ministry work. I don't agree at all. People have a right to support their family even if their job is ministry. I get tired of hearing how people aren't real missionaries or other similar occupations because if they were they wouldn't take a salary or would donate it to charity. Those people need to take care of their families too. 

The TV show isn't a ministry. But it is possible to have a ministry and an income. On the flip side if the Duggars donated their TV income to charity it wouldn't make their show a ministry. 

• Love 5

I was googling to find the GMA interview solely to watch Robin's snark after and while I couldn't find it, I found articles referencing it.  They were all titled along the lines of  "The family has forgiven Josh".  I quit looking because I am quite hung up on WHY in the hell (no pun intended, satan) the family needs to forgive him for infidelity????  Umm, ya'll aren't sharp so imma help you understand.  He cheated on ANNA, not on ya'll.  Therefore, ANNA needs to forgive him, again - not ya'll.  This family is so all up in each others business and sex lives - too creepy!

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/devil-best-shot-john-david-duggar-scandal-family/story?id=37622747

• Love 2

Boob and Mechelle's hairspray fund isn't a viable charity!?

• Love 5

And I think JD has NOT forgiven Josh at all. He was sincerely angry in the previous clips and I bet he hates Josh deep down. Repress Repress! 

Does this mean he has to give Josh his prized jewelry box?

• Love 8