Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Does anyone know how the duggars got on tlc? Did someone call tlc about them or did boob call tlc himself?

From an article in Daily Mail  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3093136/How-squeaky-clean-photo-launched-Duggars-fame-2002-belied-sordid-molestation-secret-home.html

• Producers came across photo of Jim Bob Duggar, his wife Michelle and their children - then, 13 of them - heading out to vote in Arkansas in 2002
  • Family was offered first one-episode show, which led on to a series that became one of America's longest running, and most loved, reality shows

28FC82CC00000578-3093136-image-a-1_14323

The photo that started it all: Jim Bob Duggar and his wife, Michelle, beam as they head out to vote in his unsuccessful 2002 run for a seat in the US Senate with their children (then, 13 of them). This photo was seen by a writer, who penned a story on it, which was subsequently seen by an executive at Discovery TV channel

The only TLC show I'm sticking with is Who Do You Think You Are?  even though the quality of that show seems to be degrading.  Wedding dresses, couponing, all of that - if you know what to look for in "unscripted reality" you can see every scripted line, and it's just not even fun to snark any more.  And the programs are a lot like local news shows doing a spot on the local science fiction convention - they might put on 10 seconds with an organizer, but all other interviews and most of the B roll is with the most outlandish people they see.

(edited)

I'm just tired of TLC entirely since all they can do is program shows that intrigue us because the subjects are either bizarre or unrealistic on some level. Do we really want to see mentally ill people that hoard or little girls dressed up like strippers and paraded in front of judges to be scored on their level of sophistication? After realizing that TLC had full knowledge of the Josh allegations yet knowingly enabled this family because it was a huge cash cow for them sickens me. I'm not only anti-Duggar type shows, I'm completely anti-TLC programming. I will never trust any programs produced by TLC again.

The husband of a friend of mine, who only knows what's on TLC from what he sees while surfing the dial and stopping long enough to see their commercials, has been calling TLC "The Freak Channel" for a couple of years now. Whenever they started with the couponers and Sex Sent Me to the ER. Except for The Little Couple, I honestly couldn't really challenge him on that. I used to like Who Do You Think You Are in the beginning - not so much anymore. It's slipping into the TLC crapola formula to much for me.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2

From an article in Daily Mail  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3093136/How-squeaky-clean-photo-launched-Duggars-fame-2002-belied-sordid-molestation-secret-home.html

• Producers came across photo of Jim Bob Duggar, his wife Michelle and their children - then, 13 of them - heading out to vote in Arkansas in 2002
  • Family was offered first one-episode show, which led on to a series that became one of America's longest running, and most loved, reality shows

The photo that started it all: Jim Bob Duggar and his wife, Michelle, beam as they head out to vote in his unsuccessful 2002 run for a seat in the US Senate with their children (then, 13 of them). This photo was seen by a writer, who penned a story on it, which was subsequently seen by an executive at Discovery TV channel

who are the extra girls in the photo? there are 6 girls (plus michelle) that can be seen in that angle, and I've seen a different angle of the same pic and there are at least 2 extra girls.

(edited)

who are the extra girls in the photo? there are 6 girls (plus michelle) that can be seen in that angle, and I've seen a different angle of the same pic and there are at least 2 extra girls.

Pinch hitters in case one of the Duggar girls is down and out and Michelle and Jim Bob are faced with the prospect of having to take care of one of their own younger children.

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 8

I count six girls also. At the time the photo was taken, 2002 the Duggar's had five girls. I don't know who the sixth girl could be.

I'm just tired of TLC entirely since all they can do is program shows that intrigue us because the subjects are either bizarre or unrealistic on some level. Do we really want to see mentally ill people that hoard or little girls dressed up like strippers and paraded in front of judges to be scored on their level of sophistication? After realizing that TLC had full knowledge of the Josh allegations yet knowingly enabled this family because it was a huge cash cow for them sickens me. I'm not only anti-Duggar type shows, I'm completely anti-TLC programming. I will never trust any programs produced by TLC again.

+2                 Each person who turns it off for good counts.    

On Friday or Saturday, I stripped all the TLC shows off of our DVR and DVR recording schedule, which I will note when I send my emails to the network and the sponsors.

Count me in too.     This is the final straw for me. The 600 lb. show was so cruel  this year, I had decided I would never watch again. The Little Couple too. I am tired of children being put to work too.           I can read here about the shows.

• Love 3

But reading here is practically watching the shows. It proves to the network that we're interested. I'm not kidding myself. I haven't watched since moving overseas (unreliable Internet) but I'd have watched if I were in the U.S. Someone has to watch to we have new info to comment on, after all. :)

• Love 2

But reading here is practically watching the shows. It proves to the network that we're interested. I'm not kidding myself. I haven't watched since moving overseas (unreliable Internet) but I'd have watched if I were in the U.S. Someone has to watch to we have new info to comment on, after all. :)

The ratings dictate how much TLC can charge for ads, and ads are the primary source of revenue. So we can talk all we want here, but unless we are somehow counted for purposes of the ratings, which does not happen here, the talk doesn't matter. (Also, here the talk has been pretty much negative. I don't know if TLC samples social media, though.)

If you own a DVR, there is some formula for measuring that in the ratings, as you are counted as a viewer. The formula was explained to me over a year ago and I don't remember the details. However, if you watch in real time on a TV with DVR capabilities, that gets full weight. Otherwise, the formula takes into account when you watch the show and if you watch commercials. After 72 hours, I think, you don't count for purposes of the ratings. Someone may be able to explain this more precisely.

By taking TLC off of my DVR schedule, I am making sure that I don't accidentally watch any of the network's shows. Also, when I contact TLC and the advertisers to tell them that I want the show off, I will tell them that I stripped off the shows. And they will not know whether or not I am someone who watches in real time and sees the commercials, and they therefore won't know if my absence will affect the ratings.

• Love 7

Now that the dust is slowly beginning to settle on the Duggar revelations and assuming there will be no further disclosures made by the family, I can't help but think about the future of the Duggar children. Nearly all these children have been in the public eye since birth. They have become accustomed to the attention and curiosity of strangers. They have lived under spotlights, in front of cameras and under sound booms all their lives. I wish I could be around in 20 or 30 years to see how this has affected each of them. I wonder how many books, interviews or confession will come forward once they're adults and have been out of the spotlight for a comfortable amount of time. How many of them will appear in a one-to-one interview by a prominent journalist that will ask the honest questions.

Those are some of the things that I wonder today. Basically, where is the future leading them and how many of them will break away from the religious cult. How many may even come out of the closet with their own sexuality and their own opinions that haven't been influenced or manipulated by their parents or church members. The fact is that out of 19 children there are inevitably going to be at least one of them that's lesbian or gay. Will they have the strength and courage to break away from the crowd of Duggars to be honest and free to live life as they choose, and not one that Jim Bob and Michelle dictate they should.

Nearly all these children have been in the public eye since birth. They have become accustomed to the attention and curiosity of strangers. They have lived under spotlights, in front of cameras and under sound booms all their lives. I wish I could be around in 20 or 30 years to see how this has affected each of them. I wonder how many books, interviews or confession will come forward once they're adults and have been out of the spotlight for a comfortable amount of time. How many of them will appear in a one-to-one interview by a prominent journalist that will ask the honest questions.

This is something that was brought up when the Gosselin show was initially put on hiatus back in 2009 following Jon and Kate's divorce announcement and again when the show was officially canceled a few years later. These people seem to have no consideration for what it's like for their kids to literally spend their entire lives on camera and what will happen once it ends. I guess the parents are too busy counting their money to think about that.

• Love 1

The ratings dictate how much TLC can charge for ads, and ads are the primary source of revenue. So we can talk all we want here, but unless we are somehow counted for purposes of the ratings, which does not happen here, the talk doesn't matter. (Also, here the talk has been pretty much negative. I don't know if TLC samples social media, though.)

If you own a DVR, there is some formula for measuring that in the ratings, as you are counted as a viewer. The formula was explained to me over a year ago and I don't remember the details. However, if you watch in real time on a TV with DVR capabilities, that gets full weight. Otherwise, the formula takes into account when you watch the show and if you watch commercials. After 72 hours, I think, you don't count for purposes of the ratings. Someone may be able to explain this more precisely.

By taking TLC off of my DVR schedule, I am making sure that I don't accidentally watch any of the network's shows. Also, when I contact TLC and the advertisers to tell them that I want the show off, I will tell them that I stripped off the shows. And they will not know whether or not I am someone who watches in real time and sees the commercials, and they therefore won't know if my absence will affect the ratings.

Thank you.     I also plan on calling and emailing sponsors starting tomorrow.     

• Love 1

From an article in Daily Mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3093136/How-squeaky-clean-photo-launched-Duggars-fame-2002-belied-sordid-molestation-secret-home.html

shouldn't the kids be in front, so the parents can keep track of them?

• Love 3

shouldn't the kids be in front, so the parents can keep track of them?

I think they had already figured out their system. Michelle gives birth and nurses the baby. Once the baby is weaned it gets 'assigned' to one of the older girls to fulfill all their needs. The girls were handed immense responsibilities at very young ages. But, that's what girls are for (according to the cult) aren't they?

• Love 1

But she seems to have missed that they've picked up some extra girls..

Who could blame her, her mother dropped children almost every time she walked more than ten paces.

• Love 6

Here's another photo of them on the same day, different view. The second girl doesn't look like a Duggar. Maybe everyone in Arkansas wore red dresses that election day and the interloper slipped into the lineup without being noticed?  Meh, what's one more girl more or less anyway?

duggar+family.jpg

We all know that the Duggars love to talk and are famewhores especially around a camera so it is stricking me as odd that we have no heard not one single word from them since the PR spin statements that they or a PR team released.

• Love 1

There are 7 girls in that angle (little JoyAnna is with ... Jana? she's got pigtails), so that means there are 2 extra girls along with Jana, Jill, Jess, Jinger, and JoyAnna. But there are 13 kids in those photos ... so which boys are missing? #14 (Justin) was born in November of 2002, so is probably pregnant with him in those photos.

We all know that the Duggars love to talk and are famewhores especially around a camera so it is stricking me as odd that we have no heard not one single word from them since the PR spin statements that they or a PR team released.

I am sure whoever their PR advisor is (because I am sure JB is enough of an egomaniac to think he needs one) has advised them to just stay quiet. I can't imagine any other reason why they wouldn't be all over the media trying to do damage control....at least JB and M would. I'm thinking the girls involved would not want to talk about it in a public way; anyway not right now when it's such a hot button topic.

• Love 3

I am sure whoever their PR advisor is (because I am sure JB is enough of an egomaniac to think he needs one) has advised them to just stay quiet. I can't imagine any other reason why they wouldn't be all over the media trying to do damage control....at least JB and M would. I'm thinking the girls involved would not want to talk about it in a public way; anyway not right now when it's such a hot button topic.

I read somewhere today that TLC told them to stay off social media. All those FB & Instagrams posts for the non-married kids are probablybfan pages. That could be why Mike Seewald is posting: on Benessa's behalf.

And it wouldn't surprise me if TLC got JB & Me-chelle a PR agent or entertainment attorney to deal with the media and try to figure out where the show goes from here.

• Love 1

To be honest, for the past few days I've been picturing Boob handcuffed to one of those ladderback chairs in their "dining room" with a big towel stuck in his mouth. I imagine any PR person would have had to do something nearly this drastic to keep him from yapping. I just see him as almost bursting he needs to talk so badly. Either that, or he's been sedated.

• Love 14

If he's strapped to a chair with a towel in his mouth, they aren't praying.  He's the one they always turn to for the prayers.  This may be a good thing.  If they can't pray quietly in real language, they may have time to reflect, at least the kids.  Reflect without praying would be a good thing for them since they'd be saying their own words, hopefully, and not spouting bible verses helter skelter.

• Love 3

Saw Good Morning America's tiny piece about Josh today and very disappointed. It was very brief and they seemed to focus more on the petitions to have the show canceled, then the fact Josh admitted to molesting. I'm sorry but where's the outrage? The shock? Anything? They can give their opinions on nearly everything else but to someone who they had on their show and they liked a lot turning out to have molested girls? Suddenly they have nothing to say.

• Love 3

Saw Good Morning America's tiny piece about Josh today and very disappointed. It was very brief and they seemed to focus more on the petitions to have the show canceled, then the fact Josh admitted to molesting. I'm sorry but where's the outrage? The shock? Anything? They can give their opinions on nearly everything else but to someone who they had on their show and they liked a lot turning out to have molested girls? Suddenly they have nothing to say.

I didn't see any of the morning shows today, but I'm interested in what they had to say on the Today show, since that's the show that has had the family on a gazillion times, falling all over them and celebrating every Duggar pregnancy.

(edited)

I didn't see any of the morning shows today, but I'm interested in what they had to say on the Today show, since that's the show that has had the family on a gazillion times, falling all over them and celebrating every Duggar pregnancy.

Just saw an insider piece, they mentioned Josh was accused of molesting 5 girls, but thankfully they didn't mention that 4 of them lived in the same house of them. They also just announced that the show is being postponed indefinitely or something like that.

Edited by dillpickles

According to that TMZ story, Walgreens is an advertiser.  

Are they insane to keep advertising on TLC after the success of their red noses FOR CHILDREN campaign?  Make all that money to help children while supporting a network and TV show that allows their abusers to be validated?  

Nice work, Walgreens.  I'll head to CVS instead. 

• Love 5

Wellllll isn't that special?

"when Jim Bob Duggar ran for U.S. Senate. In the course of discussing his opposition to abortion in all circumstances, he said incest should be a capital crime (punishable by the death penalty)."

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2015/05/26/in-2002-jim-bob-duggar-said-incest-should-be-a-capital-crime

That statement was repeated this am in a segment of my local news which surprised me.
  • Love 2

Wellllll isn't that special?

"when Jim Bob Duggar ran for U.S. Senate. In the course of discussing his opposition to abortion in all circumstances, he said incest should be a capital crime (punishable by the death penalty)."

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2015/05/26/in-2002-jim-bob-duggar-said-incest-should-be-a-capital-crime

Knowing JB's attitude, he probably means incest should be a capital offense for the victims since it's their fault for defrauding the abuser with their immodest dress and tempting kneecaps.
  • Love 13

Unfortunately I have to continue at Walgreen's because my insurance will only pay for my very expensive medication there, or Walmart.

Now I hate Walmart for how they treat their employees, however I might switch my prescription to support Derrick & Jill.

And and if I do, I will be sure to let Walmart know the reason why.

• Love 7

This is the list of sponsors from change.org. Walgreens is only listed as carrying a drink from Coke.

19 Kids and Counting Sponsors: Ace Hardware Party City Arm & Hammer (cat litter) King's Hawaiian Cortizone 10 Progressive Insurance Kohl's (department store) Choice Hotels Firehouse Subs Philadelphia Cream Cheese Pure Leaf Tea Walgreen's Minute Maid ( part of the COCA COLA COMPANY!) Payless Shoes Beauty Rest Matress Sherwin WIlliams Frontline Plus

• Love 2