Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

(edited)

I despise Full House. It was a dreadful show and it doesn't deserve to come back in any form. I'm not sure why everyone has such love and affection for it.

I second that, and the same goes for Boy Meets World.

Here's the thing: nostalgia has always influenced pop culture in some way or another, but I think it now holds far too much sway. Re-booting Duck Tales and Full House, the remakes of, or sequels to, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Mad Max, The Terminator, Poltergeist, it's gotten so ludicrous.

I don't necessarily get nostalgic for my childhood TV favorites. I liked them... in childhood. I'm an adult now, and to be honest, I'm kind of embarrassed at the things I used to like, and would rather forget them. The only show I like revisiting from my youth is Daria, and that was more high school than anything else. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch

The only show I like revisiting from my youth is Daria, and that was more high school than anything else.

I was probably Jake & Helen's age when I watched Daria. It is on my Netflix queue and disc 5 is currently at my house. My 14 yo daughter absolutely loves it so we're watching it together (except when geezer Mom goes to bed on Friday night and daughter watches the rest of the disc).
(edited)

I don't necessarily get nostalgic for my childhood TV favorites. I liked them... in childhood. I'm an adult now, and to be honest, I'm kind of embarrassed at the things I used to like, and would rather forget them. 

I'm kind of in the same place. I'm not embarrassed by what I used to like, but I fully acknowledge that my childhood tastes were...childish.  As is normal.  With the exception of a couple of shows, I'm certain what I watched as a child to teen (including college) doesn't hold up well at all.  But that's also why I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about remakes - I'm not nostalgic, so I'm not emotionally invested in how they're brought back.  Hell, there may even be some improvement on the original(s), for all I know.  

Edited by ribboninthesky1

Oh wow, I really feel like the odd weird bird--The only show I watched as a kid and now cringe and say to myself, how could I have loved this show? is Super Friends...Challenge of the Super Friends, when I compare it to Timm's Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited.  Yet I still love to watch Original recipe Loony Tunes, Tom & Jerry, G. I. Joe (Don't judge me! Romances of Duke and Scarlett and Flint and Lady Jaye were soap operatic wonderfulness that had me give up watching soaps my sophomore year in high school!)

Yet I still love the shows I watched as a kid. Though I do cringe at some of the really bad acting (Miami Vice, I'm looking at you).

• Love 2
Here's the thing: nostalgia has always influenced pop culture in some way or another, but I think it now holds far too much sway. Re-booting Duck Tales and Full House, the remakes of, or sequels to, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Mad Max, The Terminator, Poltergeist, it's gotten so ludicrous.

I'd say it's more lazy and disingenuous. It's just cashing in on a known property without having to really develop new characters and story. They even invented the word reboot to try to brand it. Star Trek falls into that. Calling it an 'alternative universe' instead of just continuing the franchise. I mean, it's hard to be an actor, but is it really a challenge to play Spock? That template has been established. I'm sure the ZQ would say he's done things to make the character his own, and fine, do it if they pay you. But you're not playing an original character.

I'd take Star Wars out of that though. It's actually continuing the original story and was intended from the get go to be 9 movies. They're taking advantage of the mega franchise concept to be sure, but it is original content and characters. 

• Love 2

Oh wow, I really feel like the odd weird bird--The only show I watched as a kid and now cringe and say to myself, how could I have loved this show? is Super Friends...Challenge of the Super Friends, when I compare it to Timm's Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited.  Yet I still love to watch Original recipe Loony Tunes, Tom & Jerry, G. I. Joe (Don't judge me! Romances of Duke and Scarlett and Flint and Lady Jaye were soap operatic wonderfulness that had me give up watching soaps my sophomore year in high school!)

Yet I still love the shows I watched as a kid. Though I do cringe at some of the really bad acting (Miami Vice, I'm looking at you).

Funny you should mention the DC Animated Universe of the 90s-00s...exactly the shows I was thinking of in my original post.  

• Love 1

I don't get "hate watching." I mean I understand the concept, I just think it's a waste of time. Why do it? Just to snark on a show? There's so much negativity out there, I don't want it to inform my TV viewing too.

I ended up hate watching about three seasons of Celebrity Apprentice because the spousal unit enjoyed the show, our work scheduled were synchronized so he couldn't just watch it when I wasn't around, and I'd find myself in the living room playing around on my laptop while he watched so I ended up absorbing the stupidity and fakeness of that show by osmosis.

I think spousal unit was actually amused by how my venom I'd direct toward The Donald while the show was on our television.

• Love 3

I hate when an actor on a show I'm currently watching gets a part on another series, because then you know the character is going to be written off. Same for when an actor quits. My UO is, why write the character off when you could recast?

Soap operas do this all the time, so it's something I'm personally OK with, but I think for primetime, an actor is too closely identified with his or her role, and that's why it isn't done as frequently as soaps do it. I can think of only a handful of primetime shows that have recast roles, usually to great criticism.

My latest UOs:

1. I hate the word "Meh." I hate it most of all when it's used as a lazy, one-word dismissal of all of the hard work and beauty that have gone into a single episode of  (usually) a terrific show. I especially hate the word "Meh," followed by some variation on "I didn't really watch it, but..." or "I wasn't really paying attention but I just felt underwhelmed," etc. I just think, if you're gonna hate a show, that you should pay attention first. Then hate it. But that's just me.

2. Everyone in the world seems to hate Josh Hartnett as Ethan on "Penny Dreadful" or find him dull and forgettable (the Penny Dreadful forums on IMDb are filled with haters who just want him gone, for instance), and I don't agree at all.

I've never, ever been a fan of Hartnett's (ever), so was flabbergasted to like him so much on "Penny Dreadful" in its first season. I think the years he was away from Hollywood suit him -- he's not so boyish, he's still handsome, but there's an approachability and a fragility to his face now. And I love his performance of Ethan -- he brings hidden depths, a surprising gentleness and real kindness to a character with a tragic secret.

• Love 2

I don't get "hate watching." I mean I understand the concept, I just think it's a waste of time. Why do it? Just to snark on a show? There's so much negativity out there, I don't want it to inform my TV viewing too.

I hate-watched 2 Broke Girls for a while, but the show must've killed off the brain cells that controlled my urge to hate-watch, because I just suddenly dropped it one day and never looked back.

I ended up hate watching about three seasons of Celebrity Apprentice because the spousal unit enjoyed the show, our work scheduled were synchronized so he couldn't just watch it when I wasn't around, and I'd find myself in the living room playing around on my laptop while he watched so I ended up absorbing the stupidity and fakeness of that show by osmosis.

This will now be my theory for all the posters who watch a show I like, but spew violently about it or about the main character.  I've been befuddled wondering "Why does X watch this week after week when they clearly loathe it".

Everyone in the world seems to hate Josh Hartnett as Ethan on "Penny Dreadful" or find him dull and forgettable (the Penny Dreadful forums on IMDb are filled with haters who just want him gone, for instance), and I don't agree at all.

I've never, ever been a fan of Hartnett's (ever), so was flabbergasted to like him so much on "Penny Dreadful" in its first season.

I've only seen S1 of Penny Dreadful, but I resemble this remark. In fact, I didn't even recognize him and was surprised it was Hartnett when I looked up who was playing that character.

I'm sorry to say I use "meh" all the time and find it a useful phrase for so many things in life. I do, however, try to pay attention and watch a show before I label it such. If a show doesn't engage me or hold my attention though...

• Love 3

The closest I've come to hate-watching was 7th Heaven. It wasn't so much that I loathed the show as much as I was intrigued by how ludicrous the show had become by the end. Seeing Ruthie turn emo when her not-boyfriend got engaged to his babymama was the reason I ended up posting at the Other Place.

• Love 3

I don't think I actually hate watch.  However, I have had protracted periods of disbelief-denial-fading hopes, during which I will stay with a show that I no longer love and, toward the end, talk back to it.

• Love 8

Is there an equivalent of the Hey! It's That Guy! phenomenon for actors we don't particularly like, who may cause dismayed (rather than delighted) recognition when they turn up? Sebastian Roché seems to be pretty popular with somebody, given how often he seems to turn up, especially on genre shows, but for me, he's more of a Ucch, Him Again? rather than a H!ITG!

I'm afraid Toby Jones is turning into a U,HA?, for me, too.

• Love 2

Sebastian Roché seems to be pretty popular with somebody, given how often he seems to turn up, especially on genre shows, but for me, he's more of a Ucch, Him Again?

Aww, you don't like Mr. C-Square?  ;-)  I confess to having a soft spot for him, but there are plenty of actors for whom "Ugh, not him/her again!" would be perfectly appropriate.  Toby Jones is one of those people.

• Love 4

My UO on Bates Motel is that I think it's possible that Norman didn't kill Watson. The reveal was highly ambiguous at best and it's preposterous to me when I hear that it's so obvious.

(edited)

After rewatching some of Pushing Daisies, some very UOs:

1) I honestly don't see the extremely 'popular', much loved Olive as any better a character than the extremely unpopular, much reviled Chuck (granted, "Chuck" as a nickname for Charlotte is so annoying that it kind of predisposes many of us to dislike her from the outset!)  Both are just kind of generically plucky, spunky, 'adorably' nosy characters. I've fanwanked as hard as possible to give them more distinct personalities and still see them as virtually identical characters, with the only differences being that Olive may be initially easier to sympathize with because her love for Ned is unrequited---and because she's played by a slightly better actress :) 

2) Most fans adore Jim Dale's narration. I can't stand it and would have voted to eliminate about 95% of it. (Granted, I hold the UO of nearly always disliking narration in general!) 

3) I actually far preferred S2 to S1, which seems like a pretty major UO among fans. It was a little less cutesy and saccharine for me, a little more layered and interesting, and mercifully less focused on Olive's infatuation with Ned. 

4) I actually liked David Arquette's Randy Mann. 

5) Both of Chuck's aunts annoyed me in large or even medium doses, especially Vivian. I think maybe I just dislike the way Bryan Fuller writes female characters! 

6) The best part of the show for me was the look of it. The characterization, the often forced and overly cute dialogue, and the 'when will someone discover someone else's big secret?!' season long plotlines were all pretty flawed IMO. 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 1

Re: Pushing Daisies

2) Most fans adore Jim Dale's narration. I can't stand it and would have voted to eliminate about 95% of it. (Granted, I hold the UO of nearly always disliking narration in general!)

That narration kicked me right out of the first few minutes of the first show I tried to watch.  I hated it and never went back.

• Love 3

After rewatching some of Pushing Daisies, some very UOs:

[...]

Seriously, amensisterfriend, are you stalking me? Wait, could you be my alter split personality? Or maybe you are an alternate reality me and our realities keep colliding do to a soft spot in the barriers between realities? Okay, I'm running out of silly sci-fi tropes here. ;)

I've been re-watching Pushing Daisies over the last week. I love this series and tend to dig out my DVDs when I need some serious feel good TV. I had no idea that Chuck was reviled and Olive was loved. Personally, I like them both, but can't say I love either of them. I do love that Olive breaks out in song once in a while, though. And that's not something you would find me saying about many shows.

I know what you mean about narration, in general it's not something I care for. I don't mind it on Pushing Daisies, but wouldn't say I was married to it. Probably why I tolerate it is the narration does have some playfulness to it that makes it palatable to me.

I can't say I prefer either season, I love them both, but I also wonder how many more seasons I would've stayed in love with the show in general. It was beautiful and had a great use of language and all around had that silly fun tone I do adore, but I'm not sure that it wouldn't have gotten stale either. None of the long arc really held much interest to me, however, I introduced my 12-year-old niece to the show and she keeps asking me where Ned got his ability. So, I guess there were some things that were mysteries to some people.

And, I also loved Randy Mann.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't find evil characters inherently more interesting, nor do I think a good character going bad makes them so. It really depends on the writing/acting.

I both agree and disagree with this.  While "evil" characters aren't inherently more interesting, what is interesting is what made them evil.  For the first 4-5 seasons of Dexter it was fascinating to watch what made Dexter Dexter and watch him both try to be something else and be who he is.  Some of the best scenes where him acting human with both his sister and his girlfriend/wife.   The Americans is a fascinating look at a twisted American dream.  With Bates Motel you are watching a doomed family falling deeper and deeper into insanity.    Yes I would watch the hell out of a hero story if it is a well told one but there is just something about watching the inevitability of a story like Norman Bates because it is so tragic;  a story like the Americans because it is beautiful, frustrating, and mind boggling,  and Dexter because at it glory it was a story about a monster maybe having it all.   

If this is a popular opinion good for me.  I am bound to follow the group eventually.  if it is an unpopular one then I will live with it,  Either way there is just something about watching a tragedy unfold that I enjoy.  I like a good downward spiral.  I always have.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
(edited)

This isn't only for TV but I don't know where else to put it.  I don't even know if its an UO, but here goes:

I am sick, sick, sick to death of the "booty wars."  I'm sick of Kardashians' booties, J-Lo's booty, Nicki Minaj's booty, Iggy Azealea's booty, Beyoncé's booty.  Did l leave anyone out?  I just want them all to go somewhere and sit their big assed booties down.  I hate the term "booty."  Just end this.

Edit:  Corrected some typos.  And yes, I'm sick of "all about that base" crap and Meghan Trainor.  Just. stop. it.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 13

This isn't only for TV but I don't know where else to put it.  I don't even know if its an UO, but here goes:

I am sick, sick, sick to death of the "booty wars."  I'm sick of Kardashians' booties, J-Lo's booty, Nicki Minaj's booty, Iggy Azealea's booty, Beyoncé's booty.  Did l leave anyone out?  I just ant them all t go somewhere and sit their big assed booties down.  I hate the term "booty."  Just end this.

Frankly, I'm sick of all the celebration of the ass. To Nicki, Beyonce, J-Lo, Meghan, and everyone else, a little advice: somewhere down the line, that butt you're so proud of is going to take a permanent trip down south, and once it does, you're going to have nothing left to offer the world. And you're going to be very, very sorry you didn't nurture the qualities that don't decline with age.

• Love 7

Not that I don't agree with the bit too much emphasis on 'booty', but its hella better than worshiping a 'thigh gap' and sticks with no hips.

Hey, I agree, and please believe that I'm not trying to body-shame anyone. I couldn't care less how big or small a woman's butt is. I'm just sick of how society insists on women being recognized for their bodies and nothing else. Not their brains, talent, humor, personalities, beliefs, hopes, dreams, nope, it's all about that bass, 'bout that bass...

And these women are perpetuating that mindset! Look, it's wonderful they're confident and that they embrace their bodies, I applaud that, but there is so much more to women than our bodies! Don't let your ass, your thighs, your abs, your hips or whatever be your defining trait.

Ladies, celebrate the whole you, not just the physical. If you don't, no one will.

• Love 10
Ladies, celebrate the whole you, not just the physical. If you don't, no one will.

Kristin Schall had a great bit on this very thing on last nights Daily Show.  How men can have "daddy bods" but women still have to be perfect after childbirth.

• Love 1
Not that I don't agree with the bit too much emphasis on 'booty', but its hella better than worshiping a 'thigh gap' and sticks with no hips.

And the problem with the whole "booty war" crap is that women are actually killing themselves with injections to give themselves those big butts. 

(edited)

The Erin Andrews made up controversy from DWTS. I don't know why she was making weird faces and I really don't care, but I find it hard to believe that a woman who has made a living working on live television wouldn't be able to hide her feelings if something ruffled her feathers.

On another note, if she actually *was* rolling her eyes at Noah's proposal I'd have all the more respect for that. That's exactly what I was doing. In the comfort of my living room. Far away from the judgmental eyes of the twitterverse.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 6
(edited)
"I wasn't really paying attention but I just felt underwhelmed," etc. I just think, if you're gonna hate a show, that you should pay attention first. Then hate it. But that's just me.

This is right up there with my "I fast forwarded through that scene, but here's what I think." I'm not telling people how to watch tv, but come on, it's rather disingenuous and comes off poorly.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

I don't know if this counts as an unpopular opinion but I've lost all interest in shows and movies that are based on comic books. It's not that I think these shows are crap , I usually enjoy this genre but I feel like I OD'd at some point. I watched one movie this year that was comic book related and that was because it had Colin Firth in it.

• Love 7

Apologies if I was too snarky re: Meh. It just seems especially prevalent after some truly beautiful episodes (IMO), so I'm cranky.

My latest UO: I'm so gonna get dinged, but I love voiceovers and narrations. Love. I've loved them since I was a kid. I'm probably a freak of nature or something, but I really do. I loved all of Jim Dale's narrations for "Pushing Daisies," I also loved the narration for "The Wonder Years" and others, and I adore the narration for "Outlander." And I get twitchy when it's gone. I mean, I do. It's ridiculous.

Part of this may be that I'm a writer, and for me, the narrations are like crack -- irresistible -- little glimpses into the soul that the actors just aren't able to give us. But yes, I love them.

Re: Pushing Daisies and Olive vs. Chuck. I always liked Olive ("Itty Bitty") very much and loved Kristin Chenoweth, who had some incredibly lovely moments on the show. But there can be something brittle about KC onscreen, and I never, ever saw any kind of connection between Olive and Ned (even if she felt it -- which, HELLO, and don't even get me started on the beauty of Lee Pace, sigh). I got that he liked her, really really liked her. But her love just never quite rang genuine to me and felt more remote to me, like, from afar, she decided he was beautiful and he was nice to her occasionally, so = love. So I never really invested in Olive, whereas I loved Chuck the moment she kissed Ned through Saran Wrap and never looked back. The sheer risk and loveliness was breathtaking.

Meanwhile, Toxic Unicorn, I've been there, and saw someone recently retcon this as Hopewatching (vs. Hatewatching) -- when you simply keep watching because you hope things will (1) turn out okay and (2) get better from a quality standpoint.

• Love 4

I think many fans of many TV shows can find reasons to always bring the discussion back to their favorite TV show. LOST and Breaking Bad were considered groundbreakers to an extent too. Difference, I actually like those shows, and they are only mentioned in totally unrelated TV forums once every two weeks. That is still too many. But Buffy and Angel is mentioned on a regular basis somewhere, and I start to wonder what it really being discussed.  I realize that my UO is truly is an unpopular opinion though.

FWIW, usually when I bring up either show its to discuss the vagaries of fandom, both the fanatical shippers and the fanatical haters, and since one group is just as bad as the other to me they tend to bleed together. To sort of echo Rick Kitchen's sentiment from a couple of pages ago, I don't see how talking about it hurts anything or ought to bother anybody.

This is right up there with my "I fast forwarded through that scene, but here's what I think." I'm not telling people how to watch tv, but come on, it's rather disingenuous and comes off poorly.

My favorite is I watched five minutes of a tv show/movie and here is my review:

• Love 2

I never liked David Letterman. I think he's smarmy and nasty and not particularly funny. I keep rolling my eyes at all the media worship during his farewell victory tour.

I loved David in the beginning.  His morning show was brief but very funny. He was a breath of fresh air and would have on quirky guests.  

I have not watched in years.  The whole feud with Leno is kind of mean and I am no Leno fan. In the beginning, he was hipper and fresher than Carson.  But Carson stands out as a better interviewer and had a more interesting show.  He also vigorously promoted young comedians.  It is too bad he owned the rights to his shows and they are not in reruns.  I would love to see some of Carson's guests again.

What is sad to me about Letterman is that he is a funny guy who ended up taking himself too seriously.

• Love 2

I don't know if it belongs here but... I used to get upset when people flip the channels all the time. Now I do it. But there is nothing on TV anymore, except trash TV. And I come here to read everyone's thoughts to make the shows more interesting.

• Love 1