Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I didn't have any issues with Inara, but goodness, Kaylee was annoying.  Simon could do much better, though I suppose there weren't many options.

They only needed one: Jayne! (It cracked me up that a date I took to see Serenity immediately pegged the movie's butched up Kaylee-macking version of Simon as gay.)

I don't think I've ever seen hate for a male character even come close to what I see for Laurel and Katrina. Maybe Spike, but then there were so many Spike fangirls that it balanced out the hate.

Ha, I was about to say "allow me to introduce you to my posting history on the topic of Spike from 1999-present."

• Love 1

Another UO:

I don't like live TV productions. The undercurrent of nervous tension sucks all the enjoyment out of the show for me. I'd rather see relaxed actors giving their best performance, than actors obviously terrified they'll make a mistake on live TV.

I hate the live shows.  It's just a stunt.  Whether it's ER or The West Wing or that version of Fail Safe hosted by Walter Cronkite or NBC's recent obsession with musicals, it's a stunt.  The West Wing episode worked, but still it didn't need to be a live broadcast and in fact the way it was staged it didn't really seem like a live broadcast.  The ER thing was just another reason why I didn't watch the show.  The Fail Safe broadcast was so hyped that I kind of boycotted it, and the NBC musicals of the last two years were not ready for Broadway.  If "live" is supposed to juice things up, perhaps the things weren't worth it to begin with.

• Love 1

Live theater is magical when you're right there because you're part of it all, but staring at a flat, shiny piece of electronic equipment at home just doesn't offer the same experience.

I'm glad I watched NBC's The Sound of Music to give the concept a chance but it confirmed what I'd thought it would be like. I don't need to do that again.

• Love 4

Misslindsey, I also have a UO of disliking Lena Dunham. I also dislike Girls.

I'm always hesitant to watch TV with friends because they always have these "you're gonna love" shows. And I never do. And this was one of them. Won't say it was the longest night of my life, but of the last six months? Yup.
  • Love 2

I liked her before her show started, but after watching the first season, i hate her too. Same goes for Zoe Deschanel. I liked her before New Girl started, then watched 2 episodes of the show and now I detest her.

You made it through one entire episode more than I did.
  • Love 2

I've never watched Supernatural, but I relate to this.  I've come up with counterpoints for a certain character just on watching an episode because I can guess what the feedback will be (and this can be overly negative or positive).  My pet peeve about this is, in my observation, the love or hate for a character often distorts perception of what actually happens in an episode.  I cannot express how much it annoys me when there is a discussion about something that never happened or wasn't said.  I mean, if we're spinning our own level of fiction, what is the point of watching a show?  In any case, I've taken such thoughts as an indicator that it's time to take my leave from a discussion, heh.         

As a Xander Harris fan, I know all too well how this feels. When BTVS was still on the air, Xander could barely quirk an eyebrow without people reading things into it that were never part of the script, It always made me feel like I wasn't even watching the same damn show.

• Love 2

My Friends UO:

I never liked Monica's relationship with Chandler. They brought out the absolute worst in each other (though I can also place the blame on writers Flanderizing them beyond recognition) and I saw little or no chemistry.

I vastly preferred Monica's relationship with Richard, age difference be damned (she was over 21, so who cares?). He was patient, sophisticated, and she was at her most likable with him. Honestly, I desperately hoped those two would make it work. 

[/b].

This was the only time I enjoyed watching Friends, and I was no Tom Selleck/Magnum P.I. fan at all. They were great together.

My nephew's church put on a stage production of it and they went out and bought one of those lamps.

I\

I didn't even know you could buy such a thing! Kind of reminds me of seeing a licensed Charlie Brown Christmas Tree, which is a brilliant idea, really because it's a stick with three scrawny branches on it that sells for more than a regular tabletop tree!

Person of Interest: I'm not a fan of the Shaw and Root relationship.  It always seemed more like sexual harrassment by Root than something cute or sexy (or consensual).  Plus I vastly preferred Shaw's interaction with pretty much everybody else in the cast over her interaction with Root.

Banshee: Against public opinion, I don't think Lili Simmons is the hottest actress on the show, and I'm not particularly invested in her character either..

My UO is that I will dismiss a show, then a season or two later I will catch a marathon or try to watch it streaming, and like it. Then I will think why did I not watch this sooner?

Another UO is that my favorite character on Arrow is Thea. I just wish she would get more to do.

Person of Interest: I'm not a fan of the Shaw and Root relationship.  It always seemed more like sexual harrassment by Root than something cute or sexy (or consensual).  Plus I vastly preferred Shaw's interaction with pretty much everybody else in the cast over her interaction with Root.

That was my impression too. But then, I can't stand Amy Acker. I would consider it harassment to be hit on by her.

Other POI unpopular opinion: I don't watch it for the characters. I watch for the topic and the sense of paranoia it evokes. The only character I find vaguely interesting is Finch.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 1

Another UO is that my favorite character on Arrow is Thea. I just wish she would get more to do.

My Arrow UO is that I can't stand Felicity.  I don't know if it's the actress, or how they're writing the character, but there is something very off-putting about her to me.

• Love 2

My Arrow UO is that I can't stand Felicity.  I don't know if it's the actress, or how they're writing the character, but there is something very off-putting about her to me.

I am very indifferent to Felicity. I liked her at first, now I do not like or dislike her. I do think the amount of love the character gets, where people think everything she does is awesome, soured me on the character a bit. The whole Felicity is the best, Laurel sucks conversation gets old as well. It made me get sick of Felicity and I am not a Laurel fan either, but I do not necessarily think it is Katie Cassidy's fault. I think Cassidy plays bitchy way better than the good girl.

• Love 3

My very UO is that the worst character on that whole show is not Laurel, but Oliver. It's genuinely surprising to me that so many people who really like Felicity are dying for her to date such a boring, smug, shallow, womanizing douchebag. I think even Laurel is too good for Oliver, and that's really saying something! (And I think the actor who plays Oliver is even worse than the actress who plays Laurel) 

• Love 2

My UO: I liked the new Becky on Roseanne. I thought Sarah Chalke brought a new perspective to the character--all Becky did in the past was pout and complain. But I know the old Becky was universally adored, so Sarah didn't stand a chance.

As much as I respect her and understand what she's been through, Veronica was really, really hard---borderline impossible---for me to like and root for throughout at least half of the series. It's mostly the writing, but I wish Kristen Bell had relied less on those smug looking smirks.

Veronica was one of those characters that I loved watching on my screen, but in real life, I'm sure I wouldn't like her. She was convinced that everyone in Neptune should declare that "Veronica Mars is smarter than me," which isn't even grammatically correct, dammit. And she loved to make Wallace her errand boy. Which he did willingly, I know.

• Love 3
She was convinced that everyone in Neptune should declare that "Veronica Mars is smarter than me," which isn't even grammatically correct, dammit.

That was one of the most unintentionally amusing, ironic TV moments ever for me :) 

And she loved to make Wallace her errand boy. Which he did willingly, I know.

Sadly enough, I thought Veronica was much more likable in relation to Wallace than any other character. I couldn't stand her around Logan or most of her other significant others. And I always held the UO that her relationship with her father, while sometimes touching and amusing, was kind of uncomfortably odd. Both actors tried too hard to make some of their over the top, forced 'banter' work.  

Edited by amensisterfriend
My UO: I liked the new Becky on Roseanne. I thought Sarah Chalke brought a new perspective to the character--all Becky did in the past was pout and complain. But I know the old Becky was universally adored, so Sarah didn't stand a chance.

Really...the impression I got is that people did grow to love Sarah which is why when they brought the original back, it didn't work and after a season, Sarah was re-hired. 

My very UO is that the worst character on that whole show is not Laurel, but Oliver. It's genuinely surprising to me that so many people who really like Felicity are dying for her to date such a boring, smug, shallow, womanizing douchebag. I think even Laurel is too good for Oliver, and that's really saying something! (And I think the actor who plays Oliver is even worse than the actress who plays Laurel) 

I really wish they'd let Oliver be funny sometimes, since Stephen Amell is personable, and I've seen him be funny on other things (his character on mushrooms on New Girl was hysterical), but Oliver is just so, so wooden.  The most enjoyable he's been over the past few seasons is when he's been interacting with The Flash characters.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

Really...the impression I got is that people did grow to love Sarah which is why when they brought the original back, it didn't work and after a season, Sarah was re-hired.

No, it always worked the same: they used Lecy when she was available to film (she was away at college) and Sarah the rest of the time -- and had several "wink, wink" references to the switching back and forth. 

• Love 3

I'm really against shows writing in real-life pregnancies. Actually, I think it's stupid. I mean, I can suspend my disbelief that there's aliens, demons, magic, etc., I can pretend the pregnant lady isn't actually pregnant. I get that it limits what the actor can do, but still.

On this tangent,my favorite RL pregnancy written into a show was on Star Trek Deep Space 9. Nana Visitor was pregnant IRL but her character was a single Bajoran Major; the writers instead got the wife of the Chief Engineer pregnant, then wrote in an accident off screen that necessitated an emergency embryo transplant into Visitor's character.

Creativity like that is why DS9 continues to find new fans. :)

• Love 5

On this tangent,my favorite RL pregnancy written into a show was on Star Trek Deep Space 9. Nana Visitor was pregnant IRL but her character was a single Bajoran Major; the writers instead got the wife of the Chief Engineer pregnant, then wrote in an accident off screen that necessitated an emergency embryo transplant into Visitor's character.

Creativity like that is why DS9 continues to find new fans. :)

I don't think just DS9 has used that plot point, but I agree -- a good way to deal with an actress's pregnancy.

I've never understood the logic behind: "I'd love Show X if only it featured secondary character B or tertiary character C instead of main character A." Then it wouldn't be the same show. Don't watch it, and hope for a spin-off of your favorite characters.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3

I just have to get this out: Supernatural's Dean Winchester is not an iconic or even remotely original 'hero.' I really enjoy him for the most part, but he's practically a walking list of Typical Hero 101 cliches: He's impossibly brave, noble, self-sacrificing, loyal, witty, resourceful, handsome, charming, etc. He's got a soft spot for kids, he's a hit with the ladies, and he's always ready with a quip even/especially when things are dire. His only flaws (at least post-S2 or so) are that he doesn't know just how very awesome he is and drinks too much, though the latter is depicted as part of what makes him so gosh darn macho and manly. And Jensen does a nice job with the character, but I don't see him as the unique once-in-a-generation talent he's often lauded as by fans.  

• Love 3

After watching most of Downton Abbey, I disagree with the very common criticism that Downton Abbey took a turn for the soapy and melodramatic after 2-3 seasons; I think it had elements of that even from the very first season.  

Carson/Hughes is the only male/female relationship or would-be relationship on that show I care about on any level.  

I'll show myself the door :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 4

I think the real problem with Sleepy Hollow was that the showrunners didn't seriously expect to be a hit and get renewed.  I don't track it, but I've seen some references to nobody really knowing where to go with it.  It also appears to be getting lots of creative notes from production company and/or studio, or so I say based on how mainstream and cookie-cutter the plots and characters seem to be becoming...  

If no one in a senior position had a strong direction in mind when season 2 began pre-production, then this is kind of inevitable.  The X-FIles certainly didn't intend to do that whole conspiracy ginormous never-ending series-long arc. It was partly forced by Gillian Anderson's pregnancy (I think - sheesh, it's been more than twenty years!), and various production people would express how much they wished the conspiracy stuff hadn't become so big as it was hard to write, BUT, sometimes shows turn in unanticipated directions, and the X-Files managed to ride that wave.  Other series seem to wipe out.  I fear Sleepy Hollow will be one of them, which is a damn shame.

Edited by kassygreene
  • Love 2

I just have to get this out: Supernatural's Dean Winchester is not an iconic or even remotely original 'hero.' I really enjoy him for the most part, but he's practically a walking list of Typical Hero 101 cliches: He's impossibly brave, noble, self-sacrificing, loyal, witty, resourceful, handsome, charming, etc. He's got a soft spot for kids, he's a hit with the ladies, and he's always ready with a quip even/especially when things are dire. His only flaws (at least post-S2 or so) are that he doesn't know just how very awesome he is and drinks too much, though the latter is depicted as part of what makes him so gosh darn macho and manly. And Jensen does a nice job with the character, but I don't see him as the unique once-in-a-generation talent he's often lauded as by fans.  

This is hilarious to me.  Are fans really that serious about Dean (and Jensen Ackles acting)? I've seen maybe one episode ever, and he was fine in it.  Guess I didn't see the right one that demonstrates all of this underrated range and talent. 

• Love 1

Jensen's a solid actor but he's not very versatile outside of Supernatural.  He's great as Dean and very engaging in interviews but I don't think he's ever going to be the Big Star his devoted fans claim.  Nor do I think he believes so either.  I think he knows how lucky he was to get this role and that his post-Supernatural work will do little more than pay the bills rather than elevate him to Hollywood Leading Man.  I also don't think he would ever have gotten Guardians of the Galaxy and, if he had, I don't think he'd have done well.  At best he'd have just played Starlord as Dean In Space, which wouldn't have worked for the character and, at worst, he'd have been so obviously miscast that it would have overshadowed the rest of the movie. 

• Love 4
ribboninthesky1, on 24 Jan 2015 - 4:34 PM, said:ribboninthesky1, on 24 Jan 2015 - 4:34 PM, said:

This is hilarious to me.  Are fans really that serious about Dean (and Jensen Ackles acting)? I've seen maybe one episode ever, and he was fine in it.  Guess I didn't see the right one that demonstrates all of this underrated range and talent. 

Well, there's over 200 episodes now...I don't think you're trying very hard. ;)

Seriously though, Jensen's fans are rather devoted. I enjoy Jensen/Dean greatly on Supernatural, but I'm not sure he's really the versatile actor some think he is. He seems to do some version of Dean Winchester in most things he does. Nor do I think he would be topping Hollywood movies if he wasn't chained to Supernatural.

ETA: Or what scarynikki12 said so much better.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 2

Yes, and what makes it really funny, is that ever since S4, he's been growling out his lines in this ridiculously gruff, faux-batman voice.  Between that and the "Single Manly Tear", I just can't take him seriously as an actor. 

As for 'versatile', I watched My Bloody Valentine and he was Dean, right down to every facial expression, vocal inflection, and movement.

Nothing personal against Jensen, he seems to be a pretty nice guy IRL.  And since he keeps re-upping for Supernatural, it's pretty obvious that he knows his limitations.

Edited by Mulva
  • Love 2

Not only are some of them that serious, even the slightest criticism of Dean can get you accused of being on Sam's or even John's "side", as if not agreeing that Dean is just the most put-upon character in the history of ever is the worst thing imaginable.

I also don't think he would ever have gotten Guardians of the Galaxy and, if he had, I don't think he'd have done well.  At best he'd have just played Starlord as Dean In Space, which wouldn't have worked for the character and, at worst, he'd have been so obviously miscast that it would have overshadowed the rest of the movie. 

Wait......Ackles was up for Guardians? Now I'm doubly glad that Chris Pratt got the part. Starlord is meant to be a light-hearted role, more or less, not someone pretending to mask his man-pain with a clenched jaw.

• Love 4

Wait......Ackles was up for Guardians? Now I'm doubly glad that Chris Pratt got the part. Starlord is meant to be a light-hearted role, more or less, not someone pretending to mask his man-pain with a clenched jaw.

Yeah, it sounded like they really wanted Jensen for the role, but couldn't work out the scheduling conflicts with the show.

Seriously though, Jensen's fans are rather devoted. I enjoy Jensen/Dean greatly on Supernatural, but I'm not sure he's really the versatile actor some think he is.

I can't speak for Supernatural, but his fans point to his role in Ten Inch Hero as an example of his great acting, which I don't get at all. He's not a bad actor, he was perfectly competent in the role, but I wasn't dazzled and bowled over by his thespian skills, either.

On the shallower side of the pool, Jensen's also hyped up as this supremely beautiful hunk, but his looks just leave me cold. He's very Disney Prince bland. 

• Love 3
Yes, and what makes it really funny, is that ever since S4, he's been growling out his lines in this ridiculously gruff, faux-batman voice.  Between that and the "Single Manly Tear", I just can't take him seriously as an actor.

The faux-Batman voice is the WORST. I used to know someone who worked smoked over four packs a day. I'm convinced that this guy was Jensen's 'inspiration' for the fact that post-S3 Dean suddenly developed this ridiculously raspy growl about three octaves lower than the voice he started out with. 

On the shallower side of the pool, Jensen's also hyped up as this supremely beautiful hunk, but his looks just leave me cold. He's very Disney Prince bland.

Ha---Disney Prince bland is the perfect description! 

I have the very unpopular opinion of finding the admittedly poorly defined, inconsistently written, sulky and just generally harder-to-like Sam the more interesting brother to me, and I honestly think part of it is my inner fiver-year-old rebelling against the weirdly fanatical insistence among some self-described 'Dean girls' that the character is the best to ever grace our screens and that Jensen "deserves all the Emmys." 

Then again, I'm kind of at a stage where I think the first (and clunky but comparatively less angst-drenched, self-serious and depressing) season is the only one worth rewatching. 

• Love 1

Wow, this thread makes me glad I gave up Supernatural after a couple of episodes. Current shows I can't read about due to (IMO) extreme love/hate of fictional characters or unrealistic "shipping": Criminal Minds, Person of Interest, L&O:SVU, The Mentalist.

• Love 2
I honestly think part of it is my inner fiver-year-old rebelling against the weirdly fanatical insistence among some self-described 'Dean girls' that the character is the best to ever grace our screens and that Jensen "deserves all the Emmys."

Heh, did you catch all the outrage when Gina Rodriguez was nominated for a Golden Globe instead of Jensen? 

• Love 2

Is liking Sam really such an UP in the real world? Outside of the TWOP b b with it's four psychotic Sam haters and their numerous socks, from what I can tell, he's pretty popular.

• Love 1

I like Sam, if only because he, like Xander before him, draws what I think is an unwarranted amount of ire because he criticizes the lead character's actions and behavior. I have the feeling that if they wrote him as always agreeing with Dean, he'd be massively loved.

Also, socks?

Never mind, I think I found the answer. Ew.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 3

All I'm saying is that there were a lot of nearly identical posts in a bunch of different threads under different names. I'm talking about blue book length anti-Sam screeds all with the same grammar and syntax. Draw your own conclusions.