Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

The absolute worst one for me is the Sheba commercial where the mother ignores her son saying he's hurt while she's cuddling her cat.  I hope the actress never finds work again.  

I love that one!  Kid can get his own band aid.  But even if I didn't like it, I wouldn't blame the actress.  That's like hating on Jack Gleeson because his Game of Thrones character was horrible.  Actors are just doing a job.

20 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Oh, I blame the writers, but surely the actress could have found another commercial to be in.  On Reddit and other sites, the commercial has gotten a lot of negative feedback, and she should have known that would happen.

Unless someone is a big star, making a living by acting is not easy.  Turning down something as innocuous as the Sheba commercial would be pretty damned dumb for a jobbing actor.  They have bills to pay, too.

• Like 22
  • Sad 1

While I don't consider the mother in that commercial to be as inattentive to her offspring as a sea turtle, I just wish the kid would pipe up, 'Fine, Mom. Enjoy the cat as long as you like but remember the cat won't be picking  your nursing home!'

• Like 5
  • LOL 6
9 hours ago, Blergh said:

While I don't consider the mother in that commercial to be as inattentive to her offspring as a sea turtle, I just wish the kid would pipe up, 'Fine, Mom. Enjoy the cat as long as you like but remember the cat won't be picking  your nursing home!'

But the cat will get the summer home and the kid will end up with a train set.

• Like 1
  • LOL 12
(edited)
22 hours ago, Blergh said:

A remarkably transactional, even sociopathic interaction. I I would worry about the kid that made it, if they were serious. If the women is compassionate to the cat, she is a compassionate person and likely has moments with the child as well. And the child is being modeled respect for other living creatures. I think sometimes a commercial can be taken at face value.

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
(edited)

The Freshpet ads where someone is freaking out about keeping pet food in the refrigerator crack me up.  

When I was a kid we had pet chameleons; they were fed mealworms that were stored in the fridge.  The mealworms never went rogue and stormed the veggie drawer.  It was fine.

Does anyone else remember the episode of Frasier where Niles gives a talk at a Middle School(?) and tells the kids about all the parts-per-million of bugs and what-not that are allowed in food products?  The pet-food-in-the-fridge phobics must pass out at the thought of a cricket toe in their food.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Like 4
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

The Freshpet ads where someone is freaking out about keeping pet food in the refrigerator crack me up.  

When I was a kid we had pet chameleons; they were fed mealworms that were stored in the fridge.  The mealworms never went rogue and stormed the veggie drawer.  It was fine.

Does anyone else remember the episode of Frasier where Niles gives a talk at a Middle School(?) and tells the kids about all the parts-per-million of bugs and what-not that are allowed in food products?  The pet-food-in-the-fridge phobics must pass out at the thought of a cricket toe in their food.

I store my cat's food in our fridge and it never occurred to me that some might find it weird. But as a vegetarian, I would probably pass out at any insect part in my food.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I had mealworms in the fridge for a while when I was a kid. A vistor to the house was freaked out when he found them. 

• LOL 4
18 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I store my cat's food in our fridge and it never occurred to me that some might find it weird. But as a vegetarian, I would probably pass out at any insect part in my food.

I had a certain kind of dog food in my fridge for a while that sort of came in something like a loaf. The only problem with it was one day I grabbed the wrong plastic bag out of the fridge and at lunchtime I realized I'd brought dogfood to work instead of people food.

• LOL 8
(edited)
On 4/28/2024 at 12:38 PM, sistermagpie said:

I had a certain kind of dog food in my fridge for a while that sort of came in something like a loaf. The only problem with it was one day I grabbed the wrong plastic bag out of the fridge and at lunchtime I realized I'd brought dogfood to work instead of people food.

How was it?

Edited by Affogato
  • LOL 3
On 4/24/2024 at 2:17 PM, Crashcourse said:

Oh, I blame the writers, but surely the actress could have found another commercial to be in.  On Reddit and other sites, the commercial has gotten a lot of negative feedback, and she should have known that would happen.

Maybe she, like many in the public eye, doesn't go on social media for her own self-preservation.

• Like 6
(edited)
16 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Maybe she, like many in the public eye, doesn't go on social media for her own self-preservation.

Or, she needs to work for a living and doesn't worry about what random strangers think of the acting jobs she takes to keep her life afloat.

She's not famous, I doubt 99+% of the public knows her name.  Any flack about the commercial is not going to stick to her for long, if at all.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 22
34 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don't like Bridgerton.

It's weird because I usually love period pieces. But I just couldn't get into it.

For me, it's that the sensibilities are too modern even if the setting is period.

• Like 7

I liked Season one mainly because of the novelty of someone actually adapting a Hist-rom of the Avon variety with some actual respect for the genre. And yeah, Rege Jean-Page, mmmmm.

But yeah I quickly fell out of interest in S2. Just didn't keep me.  And since The two main characters in S3 are a combination of a boring and annoying, I am all the way out.

• Like 2
(edited)

I preferred the show overall in Season 1 but preferred the romance in Season 2.  However, they absolutely ruined the female lead for Season 3, which makes me not as enthusiastic about watching, especially since I've gotten the impression that we should be rooting for her/taking her side instead of seeing her as the cavalier destroyer of lives she is. Great actress.  Horrible character.  And yeah, the male lead does nothing to inspire me but I would have been willing to give it a chance for the actress if she played a better character or who I felt would have a redemptive arc.  Can't have that if the creators don't see her as the devil.

If I do watch, it'll be after the second half drops. I'm not interested in watching Part 1 and then waiting for Part 2. Plus, it'll give me the chance to see if there are other stories that would interest me. 

But I would love for it to spur more historical romance novel adaptations.  Just because I usually hate 2nd, 3rd seasons of Shonda shows doesn't mean other creators couldn't do better.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 5
27 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I liked Season one mainly because of the novelty of someone actually adapting a Hist-rom of the Avon variety with some actual respect for the genre. And yeah, Rege Jean-Page, mmmmm.

But yeah I quickly fell out of interest in S2. Just didn't keep me.  And since The two main characters in S3 are a combination of a boring and annoying, I am all the way out.

I like Nicola Coughlin, but I remain unconvinced with Luke Newton as a romance hero.  He's been so blah in the first two seasons, I struggle to see how the show is going to make him compelling. Though I was not fond of the source material and DNFed it. None of my preferred historical romance tropes are to be found there.  Friends to lovers is already a hard sell for me.

• Like 2
On 5/14/2024 at 9:45 AM, proserpina65 said:

For me, it's that the sensibilities are too modern even if the setting is period.

Took me a minute to figure out but there is a waltz scene in Bridgerton where the barely-recognizable Muzak is a Madonna tune. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
(edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 10:32 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I like Nicola Coughlin, but I remain unconvinced with Luke Newton as a romance hero.  He's been so blah in the first two seasons, I struggle to see how the show is going to make him compelling. Though I was not fond of the source material and DNFed it. None of my preferred historical romance tropes are to be found there.  Friends to lovers is already a hard sell for me.

So am I. He was an idiot in Season 2 still wanting to be with Marina after what she did to him in season 1 and yet by the last episode we're expect to believe he's somehow become smart enough to figure out Jack's scheme.  Ah, no. I don't want any woman to end up with him. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 2
20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I preferred the show overall in Season 1 but preferred the romance in Season 2.  However, they absolutely ruined the female lead for Season 3, which makes me not as enthusiastic about watching, especially since I've gotten the impression that we should be rooting for her/taking her side instead of seeing her as the cavalier destroyer of lives she is.

Yeah, I haven’t really watched the last two seasons but I know enough to be baffled why everyone should be rooting for her. Unless she’s going to finally get exposed at 

Spoiler

Her wedding

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yeah, I haven’t really watched the last two seasons but I know enough to be baffled why everyone should be rooting for her. Unless she’s going to finally get exposed at 

I think It is a combination of things:

1- People who read the books knows she is a much better character in the books so some of that is nostalgia leaching over to the tv character, who imo, does not deserve it. The tv character is written with a meaner edge, imo.

2- People like the actress and are carrying that over to the character so it excuses a lot.

3 - Body positivity rep. It is nice to see someone who isn't always thin with the tv perfect body getting a love story, but again that elides the more damaging part of the character's actions.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I don't like Joss Whedon after all we have learned about him, but Buffy the Vampire Slayer is IMO still one of the best TV shows ever created and I'm not gonna trash it because of it's creator. The show is incredible, has great characters (a lot of the credit goes to the actors, but a lot of it goes to how they were written as well) and had an unquestionable impact not just on the genre but on TV shows in general. It was feministic and had a great impact in how LGBT+ characters are portrayed on TV. And it IMO holds up well even 25 years after it debuted. I am tired of people calling it sexist or misogynistic or whatever just because Whedon turned out to be, when the show was mostly the exact opposite (now Charmed, that was a different beast, very sexist at times towards both men and women somehow). It had some issues like every show, but nothing is for everyone. I will happily complain about some aspects of the last 3 seasons, but the show as a whole deserves its place as one of the most influential and best written TV shows in the mystery/fantasy/horror genres. Thank you for your time.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

It's actually believable to me Steve Urkel could have grown on Laura Winslow throughout the series.  It's happened as well to me in the sense you get to know someone better over the years they grow on you a little and you like them more.

That being said them marrying or whatever at the end of the series I wasn't really feeling.  But I mean it's not all that far fetched to me.  Especially on a TV show.  Like Mr. Sheffield and Fran.

Just sayin' 

• Useful 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I don't like Joss Whedon after all we have learned about him, but Buffy the Vampire Slayer is IMO still one of the best TV shows ever created and I'm not gonna trash it because of it's creator. The show is incredible, has great characters (a lot of the credit goes to the actors, but a lot of it goes to how they were written as well) and had an unquestionable impact not just on the genre but on TV shows in general. It was feministic and had a great impact in how LGBT+ characters are portrayed on TV. And it IMO holds up well even 25 years after it debuted. I am tired of people calling it sexist or misogynistic or whatever just because Whedon turned out to be, when the show was mostly the exact opposite (now Charmed, that was a different beast, very sexist at times towards both men and women somehow). It had some issues like every show, but nothing is for everyone. I will happily complain about some aspects of the last 3 seasons, but the show as a whole deserves its place as one of the most influential and best written TV shows in the mystery/fantasy/horror genres. Thank you for your time.

I don’t think he turned out sexist or misogynistic or racist.  I think it was something else and I never picked up enough information to hazard a guess as to what it was.  Narcissist is possible. Someone screwed overer by natcissists also possible. Who knows?That is between him and his therapist, if he is doing the work. I agree with you about Buffy. For one thing, all shows are a group effort. Xander is often criticized , but he is a whole and believable person. People aren’t perfect. If he is an avatar for Whedon in the show, maybe it is a sign that Joss was trying to figure himself out.  In any case, sometimes people appear to think shows should act as satisfying personal daydream fantasies. They are better shows if they are about realistic flawed humans. Things like Tara’s death would not have happened today, in part because the reaction to Tara’s death clued people in about ways to handle characters that need representation. And so on. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I don't like Joss Whedon after all we have learned about him, but Buffy the Vampire Slayer is IMO still one of the best TV shows ever created and I'm not gonna trash it because of it's creator.

I respect that opinion. I feel the same way about Harry Potter.

• Like 10

I liked the BtVS movie better than the TV show.  I only watched a few episodes of the TV series, and it seemed so serious and depressing to me, so I never stuck with it.  Now I can't even like the movie because of Kristy Swanson, but when I was a teenager I loved it.

• Like 4
On 5/25/2024 at 9:39 PM, JustHereForFood said:

I don't like Joss Whedon after all we have learned about him, but Buffy the Vampire Slayer is IMO still one of the best TV shows ever created and I'm not gonna trash it because of it's creator.

On 5/26/2024 at 1:27 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I respect that opinion. I feel the same way about Harry Potter.

It's easier for me to continue liking something if the creator is awful than to continue watching a character when the actor portraying the character is awful.  As much as I loved SATC I will never be able to look at Mr. Big and not think asshole. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

It's easier for me to continue liking something if the creator is awful than to continue watching a character when the actor portraying the character is awful.  As much as I loved SATC I will never be able to look at Mr. Big and not think asshole. 

Big was always an asshole, but so was Carrie.  They were made for each other.  I do get why Chris Noth cannot be a part of And Just Like That, but I really don't care about that show.  As far as I am concerned, Sex and the City ended after the first movie.

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I do get why Chris Noth cannot be a part of And Just Like That, but I really don't care about that show.  As far as I am concerned, Sex and the City ended after the first movie.

When I watch the second movie I stop once they go overseas.  It becomes unwatchable after that.

I was cautiously optimistic about AJLT but it has been awful.  So many missteps. At this point I feel like I only watch so I can talk about it on the thread here.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

When I watch the second movie I stop once they go overseas.  It becomes unwatchable after that.

I was cautiously optimistic about AJLT but it has been awful.  So many missteps. At this point I feel like I only watch so I can talk about it on the thread here.

I have only read recaps of AJLT, and those told me that I am not missing anything.  SJP's backstage antics made me dislike her and Carrie to the point that even watching reruns of Sex and the City was a chore.  No way was I going to pay for another streaming service to watch Carrie being Carrie at 50.  And I still don't get making Miranda queer just because Cynthia Nixon came out.  I understand breaking up Miranda and Steve since David Eigenberg has a steady gig over on Chicago Fire, but how that divorce went down made zero sense.  Then there's how the show chose to handle Willie Garson's passing and what that meant for his character.  Why not just have Stanford pass away off camera?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have only read recaps of AJLT, and those told me that I am not missing anything.  SJP's backstage antics made me dislike her and Carrie to the point that even watching reruns of Sex and the City was a chore.  No way was I going to pay for another streaming service to watch Carrie being Carrie at 50.  And I still don't get making Miranda queer just because Cynthia Nixon came out.  I understand breaking up Miranda and Steve since David Eigenberg has a steady gig over on Chicago Fire, but how that divorce went down made zero sense.  Then there's how the show chose to handle Willie Garson's passing and what that meant for his character.  Why not just have Stanford pass away off camera?

Yes to all that and add in Michael Patrick King and Cynthia Nixon pretty much accuse viewers of being homophobic because we didn't like the pod person Miranda had become and the writers being so unoriginal they brought back Aidan even though that ship had sailed.  Twice.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yes to all that and add in Michael Patrick King and Cynthia Nixon pretty much accuse viewers of being homophobic because we didn't like the pod person Miranda had become

They did? Ugh... Way to downplay the actual problem of homophobia in society.

7 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

They did? Ugh... Way to downplay the actual problem of homophobia in society.

It reminds me of how the new Doctor Who, Ncuti Gatwa is accusing the droves of fans who are running in terror from the new season of racism rather than admitting that the show just sucks and it has nothing to do with who is playing the Doctor. Sometimes people don't like a show because the quality took a nose dive and it has nothing to do with any phobia or ism, it's just that some of us have standards and aren't going to like something just to be politically correct. 

• Applause 5
44 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

It reminds me of how the new Doctor Who, Ncuti Gatwa is accusing the droves of fans who are running in terror from the new season of racism rather than admitting that the show just sucks and it has nothing to do with who is playing the Doctor. Sometimes people don't like a show because the quality took a nose dive and it has nothing to do with any phobia or ism, it's just that some of us have standards and aren't going to like something just to be politically correct. 

The problem is that people WILL unfairly judge a show because of a female/Queer/POC lead. I don't watch Doctor Who so can't speak to the quality of this season, but I've seen enough discourse around pop culture to notice a show that features minorities or women is going to be judged harsher. That doesn't mean every piece of criticism is in bad faith, but it does mean that one has to be more discerning when looking at reviews and what people are saying about a project and consider that a review is coming from a place of prejudice, and that whoever is writing it may be only writing it because of their prejudice. It leads to you having to sift through what is legit critique and what is trolling.

• Like 14

Sure, a show could just be not good, or some of the audience might not care for the stories regardless of the lead, but I don't think Doctor Who is probably a good example to bring up. Unsurprisingly, like the Star Wars 'fanboys' Doctor Who fans can also be way too toxic. When the Thirteenth Doctor was a woman for the first time, you can imagine the predictable response; 'woke Doctor', blah blah blah.  The actor was lambasted way beyond legitimate criticism. I'd say the stories weren't the best, but they weren't total garbage either. 

There's one guy on FB that posts "Doctor Who was canceled at the end of Twelve's run" on every single article. Twelve was several years ago! Let it go. 

Not all fans are like that of course, but I think you all know the types I'm talking about. Here, the discussion on the show is critical, myself included, but not overboard. I get the sense that we're all enjoying both of the leads' performances. 

On the flip side, if someone just doesn't like a particular show for whatever reason, then it's not fair to call them racist either. 

14 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

The problem is that people WILL unfairly judge a show because of a female/Queer/POC lead.

Those are the people I'm talking about. There's already moaning about the new Star Wars show featuring women main characters "again" despite initial reviews raving about the show. 

The thing about Doctor Who is, if you don't like the current Doctor, then there's going to be a new one in a few years!

• Like 12
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The thing about Doctor Who is, if you don't like the current Doctor, then there's going to be a new one in a few years!

But unfortunately the show runners will still be there and they've been the problem for the last few iterations of DW.  Yes, I'm including Russell T. Davies because I do think he's a large part of the problem.  I greatly preferred Steven Moffat's era to his.

• Like 4

There are some people who believe that diversity is "woke" or "politically correct" instead of being reality. Doctor Who has been popular for fifty years and they finally have a Black Doctor what took so long? I'm disabled and I'm still happily surprised to see a disabled character on television. I just read that Days of Our Lives will introduce a character with Down Syndrome this is long overdue.

• Like 10
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

But unfortunately the show runners will still be there and they've been the problem for the last few iterations of DW.  Yes, I'm including Russell T. Davies because I do think he's a large part of the problem.  I greatly preferred Steven Moffat's era to his.

My main problem with DW is the showrunners, each trying to outdo the last and their claim to be fans of the show and yet they are constantly rewriting it's history. The First Doctor is no longer the first doctor because one of the show runners wanted to "put their stamp" on the show and rewrote it's history. 

For me, a female Doctor wasn't the problem, it was Chris Chibnall's storytelling. And a black Doctor isn't a problem for me either, but OMFG is Russell T Davies driving the show into the ground. The problem is twofold. 1) Disney now basically owns it (they really should have stuck to theme parks and animation) and 2) RTD was given free reign. No one should be given free reign. We all need someone to be "um, you sure this is a good idea?" 

I was so excited when RTD was coming back as his first Who run was great. But he, like Moffat, needs boundaries or they go off the rails. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2

I have no desire to watch the Ripley series because it looks like the show creators went out of their way to get the blandest cast imaginable. Especially Andrew Scott. Can't stand that guy.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, JimmyJabloon said:

I have no desire to watch the Ripley series because it looks like the show creators went out of their way to get the blandest cast imaginable. Especially Andrew Scott. Can't stand that guy.

The only Ripley I care about has the first name Ellen.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

Andrew Scott's appeal completely eludes me. Hated him in Sherlock so much I can't stand to look at him.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, ABay said:

Andrew Scott's appeal completely eludes me. Hated him in Sherlock so much I can't stand to look at him.

I never understood the love for his Moriarty, either. But, as with Ryan Reynolds, my liking for him grew while watching his interviews and his later acting roles.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, JimmyJabloon said:

But one of the biggest issues is that they're too old, both him and Dickie! (That said, it's a gorgeous show and it has a fantastic cat.)

• Like 4
2 hours ago, ABay said:

Same. God he was so awful in it i can't watch anything he's in. Never understood the love for that Moriarty. It's just Jared leto's joker but with a different name and obsession. 

• Applause 1
23 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

There are some people who believe that diversity is "woke" or "politically correct" instead of being reality. Doctor Who has been popular for fifty years and they finally have a Black Doctor what took so long? I'm disabled and I'm still happily surprised to see a disabled character on television. I just read that Days of Our Lives will introduce a character with Down Syndrome this is long overdue.

There's including diversity naturally and then there's making every single story line about it.  Don't know which one actually applies to DW since I refuse to pay for Disney+ to watch it, but I do know some viewers object to the second.  (Only some, though.  There are plenty who are intolerant assholes who object to any inclusion whatsoever.)  And of course a lot depends on the writing, the quality of which dropped precipitously during Chibnall's time as showrunner.

4 hours ago, ABay said:

The only thing I've ever been able to stand him in was the movie Pride.  It helped that he was a secondary character.

• Like 3
On 5/30/2024 at 3:23 PM, kathyk2 said:

I haven’t been into doctor who, since I was a kid, but I want to check out the new one, because I love the actor.  I still have Disney, despite needing to cancel - they just took my money again, so I’ll check it out before the end of next month. 

On 5/29/2024 at 10:21 PM, Mabinogia said:

It reminds me of how the new Doctor Who, Ncuti Gatwa is accusing the droves of fans who are running in terror from the new season of racism rather than admitting that the show just sucks and it has nothing to do with who is playing the Doctor.

I stopped watch DW after Matt Smith left. I just couldn't get into Peter Capaldi as the Doctor and I really enjoy the actor. I tried with Jodie Whittaker too but just gave up.

My policy lately is that if an actor or actress involved with a movie or show brings up that a reason why people are not watching is because of race/religion/or sex of a character or characters than I avoid it. If someone not involved with a movie or show bring race/religion or sex of a character or characters is a reason not to watch something I will go and watch it.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, xfuse said:

My policy lately is that if an actor or actress involved with a movie or show brings up that a reason why people are not watching is because of race/religion/or sex of a character or characters than I avoid it. If someone not involved with a movie or show bring race/religion or sex of a character or characters is a reason not to watch something I will go and watch it.

That reminds me of a WWE wrestler Roman Reigns when he turned heel got heat with his new catchphrase  "acknowledge me"

• Useful 1