Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

Hee! I don't have a problem with remakes/modern adaptations at all. If I want to watch the original, it's usually accessible. Plus, to me, most TV isn't timeless - it's almost always a product of the time in which it aired.  Nothing wrong with that, but nothing wrong with updates, either. 

While I get the gut-feeling reflexive ire about something you love getting a modern update, I do not get when people spout off about "So-and-so ruined it!" Rob Zombie did not "ruin" Halloween, no one at whatever award show that was "ruined" a Prince song, Puff Daddy did not "ruin" "Every Breath You Take," the author of Scarlett did not "ruin" Gone With the Wind, etc...

It's all still there for you to experience and enjoy! OK, do I think it would be a good idea to remake Jaws? No--no, I personally do not. But if that's your thing, then have at it. 

YIKES! I think I thought I was in the "Pet Peeves" thread! But my point still stands--just pretend that I used only TV examples!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 13
On 9/26/2016 at 0:20 PM, topanga said:

My UO: when someone doesn't recognize a celebrity on a commercial or in a guest spot on a TV show, and they're all, "Who the hell is THAT?" It happens a lot in the forums (though not necessarily in this thread). And maybe I'm sensitive because a lot of the people who get reactions like that are people of color. So on the commercials thread, instead of saying, "I didn't recognize Nikki Minhaj on that commercial" or "I don't really know who John Legend is," we get "Who the hell is THAT?" "He's supposed to be some big-time singer." I totally understand that you might not recognize an actor, musician, etc. But if the person is a bona-fide celebrity who has sold millions of records or has been in movies or TV shows, just because you don't know who they are doesn't mean they aren't stars. 

For example, I always confuse Trisha Yearwood and Carrie Underwood, though I know they are both huge celebrities. But I don't minimize their celebrity status. I recognize the confusion as my own limitation. And I just accept that I will constantly have to Google or bug my children about which one sings the theme song to Sunday Night Football since I can't get my pea brain to remember which is which. 

Your post reminds me of the flip side of the coin: declarations of who is a household name.  I'll never forget a online discussion about Katie Holmes being a household name BEFORE she got with Tom Cruise.  I recall thinking, "Um....what?" Sure, I knew who she was, but there were tens of millions of people - in the US alone - who never watched Dawson's Creek. It wasn't on a major network, so it wouldn't have been nearly as high profile. Still get a good chuckle out of that one. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I love Bob's Burgers but find Louise more annoying than endearing quite often.

2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Me too. She's my least favorite on that show. LINDA RULES!

When Louise drifts into sociopath territory, I find her hard to watch. 

Teddy makes me uncomfortable. I don't find his outbursts funny at all. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Me too. She's my least favorite on that show. LINDA RULES!

Can I tell you that throws me because I think of all the family members Linda and Louise are the most alike. I love them both but that's probably because I see so many similarities between the two. Both can be ruthless and can mastermind a plan like no one else on the show.

My Bob's Burgers UO is that I don't really like Tina (she's so creepy) and I don't find Gene all that funny (though he is very likeable for me.) I'll smile when he does something strange but he never makes me laugh the way Linda, Lousie or Bob do.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, vibeology said:

My Bob's Burgers UO is that I don't really like Tina (she's so creepy) and I don't find Gene all that funny (though he is very likeable for me.) I'll smile when he does something strange but he never makes me laugh the way Linda, Lousie or Bob do.

*whispered* I don't like Bob's Burgers. I mean, I'll watch it if my kids have it on, but then they get tired of me yelling, "Hey. That's Archer!" for the umpteenth time. I enjoy it when I see it, but it's not a show I actively seek.  I've somehow lost the patience to watch most animated shows, even if they're smart and funny and appeal to both adults and children. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, topanga said:

*whispered* I don't like Bob's Burgers. I mean, I'll watch it if my kids have it on, but then they get tired of me yelling, "Hey. That's Archer!" for the umpteenth time. I enjoy it when I see it, but it's not a show I actively seek.  I've somehow lost the patience to watch most animated shows, even if they're smart and funny and appeal to both adults and children. 

I watch both Bob's Burgers and Archer, and it took me a very long time to realize that Bob and Archer were voiced by the same man.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, topanga said:

I think I'd be weirded out by Archer being Bob Belcher if I watched Archer.

I've given it a quick try but I don't like Archer and I'm sure that's an unpopular opinion based on the way people gush about it. I think I would enjoy the show on a story and character level, but I just find the animation so unappealing that I can't get into it. The look of the show puts me right off. There are many styles of animation I like, but that isn't one of them.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, topanga said:

I've been trying to get my brother in law into Bob's Burgers for a while but he says he can because he gets thrown by the Archer voice.  He says Archer's not supposed to be some schlubby guy.  I guess since I got into Bob's Burgers first it doesn't bother me so much.

My UO, and I've said this before, is that Bob's Burgers presently does nostalgia or tribute episodes way better than any other show on TV.  I like it when shows don't announce it and the audience either gets it or it doesn't.  Your just watching along then half way though you're like, "Wait a minute!  This is Dead Poets Society."

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 1:01 PM, vibeology said:

Can I tell you that throws me because I think of all the family members Linda and Louise are the most alike. I love them both but that's probably because I see so many similarities between the two. Both can be ruthless and can mastermind a plan like no one else on the show.

I agree that they are a lot alike but Linda is neurotic and Louise is just below psychotic (okay, maybe a hyperbole but she is definitely a bit unhinged in an unsafe way at times). What gets me is all of her family members, including neurotic Linda, indulge her when she goes on one of her benders.

10 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I've been trying to get my brother in law into Bob's Burgers for a while but he says he can because he gets thrown by the Archer voice.  He says Archer's not supposed to be some schlubby guy.  I guess since I got into Bob's Burgers first it doesn't bother me so much.

My UO, and I've said this before, is that Bob's Burgers presently does nostalgia or tribute episodes way better than any other show on TV.  I like it when shows don't announce it and the audience either gets it or it doesn't.  Your just watching along then half way though you're like, "Wait a minute!  This is Dead Poets Society."

The episode in which Bob is stuck in the wall of the restaurant/house and Kuchi Kopi (sp?) becomes the bartender from the Shining is one of the best episodes. It's so subtle that you don't realize what's going on until he's/you're in the thick of it. The show is so great. I think at least one of the writers from King of the Hill writes for the show, and KOTH is also one of my long-time faves.

• Love 3

My all time favorite tribute episode is the My Name is Earl episode "Get a Real Job."  By the time seemingly random guest star Charles S. Dutton delivered his speech to Earl about being "6 feet something.  A Hundred and something" the light bulb went off and all the pieces came together.  Sean Astin?  Charles S. Dutton?  The guy who played coach Devine?  The music?  It's freaking "Rudy"!  After the episode showed its hand, the outright sendup at the end was brilliant.  It's so well done.

Edited by kiddo82
On 9/24/2016 at 10:38 PM, truthaboutluv said:

I liked the second season of Mr. Robot. Yes, there were parts that were slow, not unlike the first season and it took time for everything to come together but I thought it was just as well written, well acted and engaging as the first season. The thing is, shows like Mr. Robot, while they are awesome can also be frustrating. Not because of the show itself but because of what it brings out in some viewers. That is, they're so busy trying to be so "smart" or prove how "clever" they are and that they can figure out all the big twists and gotcha moments before it happens, that EVERY SINGLE THING gets over-analyzed and read into and reanalyzed and it ends up sucking their own enjoyment of the show. And then that gets blamed on the writers and they're criticized for the season not being as good. Not to mention that then it's a thousand rounds of "I'm so confused..."  Seriously, no offense to the folks who post there but that's why for as much as I love the show and adore Rami beyond...I avoid the Mr. Robot board on here like the plague. I can't do it. 

I'm usually one of the confused ones. I had a big death in the family, though, and she was in the hospital when the show came back, so I've been out of it for months. 

Most of the time, I don't bother to try and figure things out. I'm happy to let others do it. I don't fast-forward, though - I will rewind if I keep missing something, or go back and watch again. 

On 9/25/2016 at 10:09 PM, Ohwell said:

We've been down this road before.  ; )

I recognize that tree.

(Gilmore Girls reference. Couldn't resist. That's one show that I listen to, rather than the radio, and I pick up things I missed as I watched it in the past (more than once.) 

• Love 1

I've done two things today that really clarified something I view as important in television shows that I like. I listened to a couple of episodes of The West Wing Weekly, Josh Malina's podcast reviewing the show, and I watched the first couple of episodes of House of Cards.

And what that clarified for me was this: I like TV shows that showcase how good people can be, as opposed to how terrible. I like shows that have an optimistic worldview, that tell me there are people who want to fight for things that are noble and important, as opposed to just grubbing in the dirt with the rest. Two completely opposing views of what politics is, and while I'm sure House of Cards is more realistic, I found it too dispiriting to want to continue watching.

Given the sheer number of shows that focus on all the negative aspects of humanity, making heroes (or at least anti-heroes) of vile people, I have to conclude that my views belong in this thread.

• Love 22

I don't care about any version of Harrison Wells on the Flash. I was really hoping that he would disappear after one of Barry's many foolish time travels and that the actor who plays the Reverse Flash would stick around instead.

• Love 1

I didn't hate last season's Walking Dead finale.  In fact, I feel like that kind of show should finish a season with a cliffhanger, and I am looking forward to seeing who met Lucille.  I'm sure this is unpopular as well...I would be giddy with glee if it were Rick (which I know it can't be, main character & all that).

• Love 1

I have mixed feelings about the Gilmore Girls revival. The original ending wasn't my ideal ending but I've seen other shows that ended a lot worse than Gilmore Girls did and I was willing to cut my losses. I just don't want to hear "be careful what you wish for" should it not end well because I personally never wanted a movie or some kind of continuation to begin with. I'm already going to wait to hear what happens before I decide if I'll watch. If that makes me a fair-weather fan, so be it.

I also always felt bad for the actors for having to constantly deal with questions about whether there would ever be a Gilmore Girls movie, regardless of whatever other projects they were trying to promote. At least they, hopefully, won't have to deal with those anymore.

• Love 1

Greys UO which I know isn't my first time expressing:

I like Jo. I like Jo and Alex together. I don't think its Jos fault that Alex beat a man to a pulp because she omitted the truth about an abusive husband. I don't blame her for not wanting to be around Alex right now. I don't think it's a case of pot meeting kettle because she's not mad at him for beating DeLuca she's mad at him for the shitty things he said to her about her past when she tried to tell him what had happened. I don't blame her for not being honest since. I'd like to see her get development and I blame the writers for ignoring her for two years all the while giving Maggie and Amelia endless screentime. I'd like to see her get a decent arc and I'd like to see Alex and Jo work things out. They had a beautiful story in season 9 and it's a shame they've been sideline for so long while the writers have propped newer more irritating (imo) characters.

• Love 2

Same here, bilgistic.  My disinterest in Grey's Anatomy originated from how strongly I disliked Ellen Pompeo in Moonlight Mile, and nothing I read/heard about it once it got going ever made me think I should give it a shot in spite of her.  It sounds too soapy for me.

Edited by Bastet
12 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

My unpopular Gilmore Girls opinion is that I mostly watched the show for Lorelai/Emily interactions. Didn't care much for anything else. I thought this relationship really was the backbone of the show with the misunderstandings between them, the regret and their painful history.

I love Lorelai/Emily, it was probably my favorite relationship on the show with Lorelai and Rory a very close second. I just loved the relationships with the three generations of Gilmore Girls.

But I never got the fawning over Luke; I never found him (or Scott Patterson) attractive at all. I liked his and Lorelai's friendship but they were horrible in a romantic relationship and should probably have never been together. Also, Rory's boyfriends were all duds. All this will be in the revival but I really don't care. I'm primarily watching for Lorelai, Emily and Rory. I may cry if/when they talk about Richard.

• Love 3

Stranger Things UPOs:

I objectively appreciate the "love letter to the 80s" theme, but I'm struggling to finish it. Everyone I know loves the first season, but I find it kind of boring and keep hoping it picks up.  At least there are only 8 episodes - don't think I'd make it with 10 or 13.  

Lucas is actually the least annoying kid for me so far.  Mike and Eleven annoy me the most, but mostly...I'm not interested in the kids at all. 

Something about the way the Nancy actress moves her mouth makes me borderline hate the character. I wish the show had focused on Barb's POV instead. Also, I think I'm supposed to believe she's a badass, and, nah. Maybe that changes towards the end, but for now, she's kind of stupid.   

• Love 3
11 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Something about the way the Nancy actress moves her mouth makes me borderline hate the character. I wish the show had focused on Barb's POV instead. Also, I think I'm supposed to believe she's a badass, and, nah. Maybe that changes towards the end, but for now, she's kind of stupid.   

ribboninthesky1, you anticipated me! I was just about to rant about how much I hate that whiny, pampered, sanctimonious brat Nancy. When she was ranting about her horrible, hypocritical, phony parents (uh, they seemed okay, if ineffectual, to me) and their horrible, hypocritical, phony sham of a marriage (uh, they look reasonably happy together), I wanted to nothing more than to smack her cross-eyed. I've whined about this before, but I really hate the trope of children knowing everything and adults knowing jack squat. Want to know the awful truth? All kids aren't pure beacons of wisdom and goodness; in fact, plenty of kids are hateful little jerks who don't know what they don't know, just like adults. Jonathan really had Nancy's number: she is just an ignorant suburban little princess whose knowledge of life doesn't extend past her privilege bubble.

If life were fair, Nancy would have gotten devoured and Barb would have lived. Wouldn't it have been more interesting to have nerdy Barb be the hero instead of that little twerp Nancy?

• Love 3

Wiendish, you're a woman after my own heart.  Great summation of Nancy, and the "kids are pure and wise" trope. Perhaps that's why I didn't connect with the series. I finally gave up last night, halfway into episode 6, and just read recaps of the rest.  And YES to preferring Barb being the badass.

For me, the show poorly wrote all of the female characters. Funny you mention Nancy's parents - I thought the mom was the more interesting character, even though she had nothing to do. I was interested in the marriage dynamics as well. 

• Love 1

Wasn't the point of Nancy that she wasn't all that pure and wise? I mean, wasn't she basically a fairly typical entitled teenager who thinks they got it all figured out, but in reality don't know much of anything? I found her to be a very realistic and annoying teenager; as I did Barb. 

• Love 4

I didn't think the female characters were written that well, so I'm not sure what the point of Nancy was.  I suppose she was written in opposition to some of the 80s tropes - she had sex yet didn't die, she was book-smart yet not a nerd, the boyfriend actually cared about her instead of just wanting sex, she magically knew how to shoot a gun, etc. All in all, I would have preferred Barb's POV.      

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I didn't think the female characters were written that well, so I'm not sure what the point of Nancy was.  I suppose she was written in opposition to some of the 80s tropes - she had sex yet didn't die, she was book-smart yet not a nerd, the boyfriend actually cared about her instead of just wanting sex, she magically knew how to shoot a gun, etc. All in all, I would have preferred Barb's POV.      

I always thought the female characters (most notably Nancy) were a tribute to Molly Ringwald  movies.   

Well here's my unpopular Stranger Things opinion: I don't give a flying fuck about Barb. She was a minor character who existed only to give us a bit of context into Nancy's life and personality, and to die in order to push Nancy's plot forward.

There is no obligation to follow up, explain, bring back, apologise or anything else. Minor characters die, and it isn't always a horrendous slight to fans of the character and a sign of societal marginalisation of certain types of people.

• Love 8

I don't know about obsession; I assume there was some backlash about Barb towards the showrunners I'm not aware of?  I'm comfortable with liking/disliking a character for whatever reason, but I've never cared enough to bother contacting the showrunners about it.  I didn't think much of Eleven or the young actress portraying her based on what I saw, but hey, she was presumably the cat's pajamas to most viewers, and that's fine. She was meant to be.

I've never been a Winona Ryder fan, but I also believe she had the toughest job with her character.  She started off quite annoying for me, but once she became more proactive to get to Will, I appreciated her more. She was quite fearless, IMO, particularly after remaining in that house despite the shit she first witnessed. Not sure I could have done it alone.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Well here's my unpopular Stranger Things opinion: I don't give a flying fuck about Barb. She was a minor character who existed only to give us a bit of context into Nancy's life and personality, and to die in order to push Nancy's plot forward.

It's the cultural woobification of nerds; same thing with Ken Bone.

• Love 2

I think the "SNL era" is judged more on what the cast went on to do post-SNL than the actual content produced while at the show. And then again, the measure of success post-show is a malleable metric too. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think the "SNL era" is judged more on what the cast went on to do post-SNL than the actual content produced while at the show. And then again, the measure of success post-show is a malleable metric too. 

I judge based on how consistently it has made me laugh.  The first few seasons were excellent.  Since then it's been very hit or miss, with some seasons being better than others and a few being completely awful.  I have to say, I'm gonna miss the election if only for the comedy gold it's provided to SNL.

• Love 2

I guess my SNL expectations are pretty low. I don't expect every sketch to hit it out of the park. That's just too much to ask. What I like is one good live sketch an episode (yes, the video stuff can be amazing, but it's called Saturday Night Live and if all your best content is pre-recorded there is a problem) and a Weekend Update with some punch. Plus good cast chemistry because I don't like when one person (hello Kristen Wiig) dominates all the sketches.

To me, the past few years have been a struggle because WU hasn't been consistently strong, though I do think the jokes have been very good so far this season. I didn't enjoy the years Kristen Wiig ate the show. If I looked back I could probably pick out a few other years that I wasn't a fan of, and a few years that were truly wonderful but overall I think people forget the filler and just remember the highlights.

• Love 8