Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

As long as Bozo is exempt from the list of scary clowns, I'm good. (Besides, ventriloquist dummies are the ones that REALLY scare me. *shudder*)

The latter may be a UO in itself.

Sorry, Bozo is not exempt from my list.  Am with you on ventriloquist dummies too.  I'll add mime to the list - they annoy to an exponential degree, but some of them just set off my Creep Factor on a Richter Scale.

• Love 1

I thought Ricky Gervais was very funny the times he hosted the Golden Globes, and I look forward to him doing so again.  I also laughed at most of Seth McFarlane's jokes when he hosted the Oscars, and was not the least bit offended by "We Saw Your Boobs", although I did think that bit went on too long.

• Love 6

I wasn't offended by "We Saw Your Boobs," either.  I know it's the "Academy Awards" but, please, we're talking about movies, lighten up!  No one is solving world hunger here.

Next year, I hope there's a "We Saw Your Dick" or "We Saw Your Ass" song.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 5

Christmas claymation specials are TERRIFYING! I tried watching one last year, thinking maybe I'd outgrown whatever made them scary to me as a child...nope. Fuck Rudolph and the rest of em forever and ever lol.

I loved Rudolph and Charlie Brown Christmas (the Vince Guaraldi Trio's Jazz soundtrack is beautiful), but later in life, I realized how much I HATED it. First, because everyone is such an ass - include Santa - that they totally treat Rudolph like crap. Then, Santa decided he suddenly gives a shit about Rudolph, when R can be used to "save" Christmas. Then you have the island of misfit toys, that no one cared about but little R.

Assholes, the lot of them.

Same thing with Charlie Brown - all of those kids (and adults) were undeserving bastards to poor Charlie Brown (adults giving a child rocks for Halloween, for god's sake!) Yeah, I had issues as a child...

As a trusting naive kid, you apparently get one message from those two shows. As a bitter cynical adult, you get another.

• Love 7

I loved Rudolph and Charlie Brown Christmas (the Vince Guaraldi Trio's Jazz soundtrack is beautiful), but later in life, I realized how much I HATED it. First, because everyone is such an ass - include Santa - that they totally treat Rudolph like crap. Then, Santa decided he suddenly gives a shit about Rudolph, when R can be used to "save" Christmas. Then you have the island of misfit toys, that no one cared about but little R.

Assholes, the lot of them.

Same thing with Charlie Brown - all of those kids (and adults) were undeserving bastards to poor Charlie Brown (adults giving a child rocks for Halloween, for god's sake!) Yeah, I had issues as a child...

As a trusting naive kid, you apparently get one message from those two shows. As a bitter cynical adult, you get another.

Still adore Hermie.  You are right about everything else.  The rest were all jerks.  The adults were the worst.  Also,Dancer?? encouraged bullying.  SMH.

• Love 5

As a bitter cynical kid, though, I found it reassuring that I wasn't the only kid who was getting rocks from the adults in their life.

• Love 4

Still adore Hermie.  You are right about everything else.  The rest were all jerks.  The adults were the worst.  Also,Dancer?? encouraged bullying.  SMH.

Hermey, Rudolph, Yukon Cornelius and The Abominable Snowman were the only redeeming characters I think. *grin*

As a bitter cynical kid, though, I found it reassuring that I wasn't the only kid who was getting rocks from the adults in their life.

Damn. I didn't like your post, because that would sent the wrong message. It took me a bit more time to get to the proper bitter cynical state, but I did at least develop empathy early on, which is what a proper person should have for Charlie Brown and Rudolph. Maybe that's the ultimate message/purpose of the TV show. Learn empathy.

• Love 2

Totally get the hate for Rudolph.   Santa is supposed to be all about the spirit of Christmas, giving, being nice to one another, etc.   Instead we get this asshat who is all "if you ain't perfect I want nothing to do with you, until I need you."   Bugger off fat boy.   

But I like a lot of the rest of the Rankin Bass specials.   

• Love 3

Hermey, Rudolph, Yukon Cornelius and The Abominable Snowman were the only redeeming characters I think. *grin*

Clarice wasn't too bad, either, but all in all, I agree that as an adult I've come to hate the program.  Silver and Gold is a beautiful song, but I pretty much like all of them except Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  Sadly, I've was plagued by that song not only as a child, but again as an adult.  

My favorite children's Christmas cartoon still remains Twas the Night Before Christmas, and, Ohwell, when it comes to tearing up, I still do it at the end of How the Grinch Stole Christmas

• Love 3

Well, I didn't think it would be this soon, but well, here we go.

Supergirl: I don't care that Superman did not come to help Kara in the pilot episode. I dont care that we didn't see them talking or texting, etc., each other. This show is about her, and how she fights the bad guys. Just as I'm sure the character of Superman is around in the universes of Arrow and The Flash, yet, Supes hasn't appeared on those shows to lend a helping hand, I have no problem with him not showing up in the pilot or if he never shows up, to give Kara a helping hand. I know I would like it if he does, but I'm not calling him out as a jerk of the WORST kind because he hasn't. He just might, who knows? But for me? It's not a big deal that he didn't, nor is it something I "expect" the writers to "rectify."

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 8

I don't know what to make about Law and Order.  I mean, it's OK.  But my mother watches it every damn day that it's tiresome.  There's only so much of McCoy's sanctimonious indignation a body can take.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 3
I don't care that Superman did not come to help Kara in the pilot episode

I agree.  I think her story works better if it remains focused on her powers and ability to save the day, rather than any possibility that Supes will swoop in and do it for her.  Plus, Warner Bros. isn't going to let Supes be on tv while there's a chance he'll bring in movie money, so there's no reason to expect him to show up in the first place. 

In a weird way I think this can be an asset for Supergirl.  Supes, if he was available, would only end up taking away from her story as many would expect him to show up when things get dire.  Now, Kara and her various allies will have to use their own skills to solve problems and I couldn't be happier. 

• Love 6

Appropro to nothing - I went to college with a boy who looked just like Hermie the Dental Elf, including the hair swoop in front.  His real name was Andrew Jackson.  I don't know which was funnier.

Although I totally agree with you about the rather unChristmasy messages of Rudolph and A Charlie Brown Christmas, the music from Charlie Brown will always be awesome and I loved Yukon Cornelious and the Bumble.  The Land of Misfit Toys always made me sad.

• Love 4

I don't know what to make about Law and Order.  I mean, it's OK.  But my mother watches it every damn day that it's tiresome.  There's only so much of McCoy's sanctimonious indignation a body can take.

I vastly prefer Ben Stone to Jack McCoy.  He wasn't nearly as sanctimonious, nor was he all "I'll get this sucker no matter how many laws I have to bend within an inch of their lives to do it".  His last episode, where a witness he'd tried to protect was murdered by the Russian mob, is stunning primarily for his emotional reaction to the news.  Michael Moriarty might be a loon, but he's a damned talented one.

• Love 11

I vastly prefer Ben Stone to Jack McCoy.  He wasn't nearly as sanctimonious, nor was he all "I'll get this sucker no matter how many laws I have to bend within an inch of their lives to do it".  His last episode, where a witness he'd tried to protect was murdered by the Russian mob, is stunning primarily for his emotional reaction to the news.  Michael Moriarty might be a loon, but he's a damned talented one.

I am with you.  The main reason I was no fan of Mc Coy was an episode where a former radical of the sixties who killed a cop was charged and everyone was telling the assistant DA that she "just didn't understand the sixties".  I thought was very patronizing and untrue.

• Love 3

everyone was telling the assistant DA that she "just didn't understand the sixties".

Yeah, Jack "let's prosecute all the murderers under any law I can find" McCoy was willing to let that one slide.   Until the cop's widow showed up.    Oh wait, cops are people too.   

Why I liked Angie Harmon as DA.   She took no shit and was not a liberal sitting at the prosecutor's table (I'm looking at you Serena).

• Love 4

I think you can be a liberal at the prosecutor's table *and* take no shit.   But, I stopped watching the show regularly when the ADA was Robinette.   So, what do I know?

My UO is that I can't stand Helen from the Affair and think that she's as much to blame for the failure of her marriage as her husband.  And that's coming from someone in real life who was dumped and had to raise two kids.

• Love 1

I think you can be a liberal at the prosecutor's table *and* take no shit. But, I stopped watching the show regularly when the ADA was Robinette. So, what do I know?

Ummm Robinette was the original ADA with Stone. He was on for the first three seasons. So you watched after he left?

I decided she was a lesbian.   It was the 60s.   Where else would you send such a dolly back then?   

(not condoning how homosexuals were treated back then.   It was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.   But it would explain why RB couldn't out her issue).

• Love 2

Ummm Robinette was the original ADA with Stone. He was on for the first three seasons. So you watched after he left?.I stopped watching the show regularly after the first two seasons.  

I stopped watching *regularly* after the second season.

• Love 1

So I looked it up on Wikipedia....Dolly, a seemingly normal girl rag doll with red hair and a red gingham dress. Her misfit problem is never explained on the special; many decades later, on NPR's Wait Wait… Don't Tell Me! news quiz show (broadcast December 8, 2007), Rudolph's producer, Arthur Rankin Jr., noted that Dolly's problem was psychological, caused by being abandoned by her owner (named as Sue in the special) and suffering depression from feeling uncared-for.

• Love 3

So I looked it up on Wikipedia....Dolly, a seemingly normal girl rag doll with red hair and a red gingham dress. Her misfit problem is never explained on the special; many decades later, on NPR's Wait Wait… Don't Tell Me! news quiz show (broadcast December 8, 2007), Rudolph's producer, Arthur Rankin Jr., noted that Dolly's problem was psychological, caused by being abandoned by her owner (named as Sue in the special) and suffering depression from feeling uncared-for.

I always thought her problem was that she had been unloved...good to be validated by Wikipedia. ;)

• Love 1

But really, that's just the producer making something up because there is no answer.

Given that the first part of the song is about non-misfit toys, I imagine the toys are the opposite of what they say is correct in the lyrics.  The good dolls are supposed to be able to talk and the misfit does so its probably some phrase that she cant say.

Edited by ParadoxLost

I'm going to preface this very UO by saying I have had friends and family have, survive, and die of cancer.  I know very well what cancer can do to a person.

But.

I hated the "cancer awareness" message they did during the World Series game last night (Friday, October 30).  I have never been to a World Series game, but I have been to NLCS games featuring "my" team, and there is nothing like it - the anticipation, the excitement, the fan engagement, the jubilance....I don't even have the vocabulary to describe it.  For the network or MLB or whoever to cut into that joy with somber faces, funereal music, names of cancer suffers written on signs held by the somber, all in the name of raising awareness (who again is not aware of cancer?), was uncalled for. Is it really not OK to be lighthearted for 3 hours without being reminded of all the suffering in the world?

I feel the same about Jimmy V week/month/season in college basketball.  Broadcasters don't seem aware that the more you repeat the message, the more it's diluted.

• Love 11

Not every show needs to be dissected. Some of them are simply to be enjoyed or not as is and I feel like Grandfathered is one of those. It's not the funniest but I'm really enjoying it and I like all the characters.

Edited by allyw
  • Love 8
Not every show needs to be dissected.

I agree with your first sentence.  There are plenty of shows I can name that don't need to be dissected  like you are writing a college term paper.  It often feels like everyone is sitting at their television screen taking notes.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 9

I usually have a high threshold for things that will offend or embarrass me.  I'm fairly opened minded about a lot of stuff. But I just can't deal with Family Guy.  Our 17 year old son is watching it on Netflix and, there has been a lot of eye rolling, raised eyebrows and the occasional "seriously? WTF?" on my part, but I was able to mostly ignore it.  Then, in the course of the last few episodes, I heard rape jokes, a joke about a teenager self aborting her pregnancy, 9/11 jokes and spousal abuse jokes complete with watching the guy slap his wife a few times.   Our son is a good kid and I trust that we've raised him right and that he's more than likely beyond having tv influence him, so I haven't forbidden him from watching it, but I've explained why I can't listen to it anymore and told him that he's not allowed to watch it while I'm around. 

• Love 6

Yeah, it's interesting how Seth MacFarlane's brand of satire is pretty much aimed directly at offending people who are less privileged than he is, like he's vowed to make them pay for trying to oppress him by making him look like a horrific douche when he acts like a horrific douche. It's kind of a shame. There are glimmers there of what could be talent if he wasn't so laser focused on being a dinner theater Andrew Dice Clay wannabe.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 9

I don't give a whit or a shit about the beloved Saint Morgan on The Walking Dead.  I never understood everyone's fascination and worship of this character; he kinda bored me from day 1.

Gotta go now, there're some angry villagers with pitchforks & torches congregating outside.  :-)

• Love 3

You're The Worst UO: I think Jimmy and Gretchen are beyond being "flawed" or "broken" characters. I think they're just assholes. I get that both of them have issues which are contributing towards the romanticism of being a nonconformist. I also get that there are folks out there who just flat out don't want to conform. In either case, more power to ya. You just do you. However, this is not a license to act above it all or just be outwardly obnoxious. The big things I get like being afraid to take the next big step in a relationship or "mourning" (so to speak) the loss of your group after they have moved to different stages in their lives. With these two I find it's the little things like literally stealing frozen yogurt, taking a shower in a stranger's house during an open house (not to mention stealing his booze. Again with the stealing.), and interrupting a jogger in the park just for the sake of being obnoxious that goes way beyond any arrested development angle and contributes to them being, well, assholes.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 4
But I just can't deal with Family Guy.

I used to enjoy this show, but looking at more recent episodes (actually, the past several years) I agree with you. And it's not that I'm against dark humor or making jokes about "taboo" topics. This can actually be done well. My problem with FG is that there are no jokes in these jokes. Instead, it's just a line or scene that references an upsetting/offensive topic, without making any attempt at witticism, satire, irony, or anything else under the "comedy" umbrella. For instance, the other night I was flipping channels and stopped for a few minutes on FG and watched a scene in which you can hear Quagmire inside his house talking to his sister and her abusive boyfriend, and I can't remember the details, but the boyfriend was either yelling at or hitting her at that moment, or they were talking about it or something, and I kept waiting for the punchline (no pun intended). Where's the "joke"? That's just horrible lazy writing, in addition to being generally unpleasant to watch.

• Love 4

I used to enjoy this show, but looking at more recent episodes (actually, the past several years) I agree with you. And it's not that I'm against dark humor or making jokes about "taboo" topics. This can actually be done well. My problem with FG is that there are no jokes in these jokes. Instead, it's just a line or scene that references an upsetting/offensive topic, without making any attempt at witticism, satire, irony, or anything else under the "comedy" umbrella.

While I do have a small list of things I think should be off limits, I'm also not against dark humor and have many times laughed at things and said at the same time "That's just so awful--I shouldn't be laughing that", but you're right--there is no attempt at comedy in FG.

• Love 3

There's still some decent episodes, but they're few and far between. If you haven't seen the 45 minute "murder mystery" from a couple years ago, that's actually quite good.

That's the frustrating thing about a lot of shows. When there's good episodes, it's like, "why can't they do that all the time?"

Bob's Burgers is funny and charming, and the Belcher family actually love each other and each of the kids have unique personalities that are often celebrated.

My friend watches with her 4 y/o. 

To this day, it remains a mystery as to what was wrong with the doll.  Does anyone know?

Forgive me if this was answered above and I missed it, but it was said by one of the producers of the special years later that she was depressed, maybe because her owner had tired of playing with her or something like that. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

And to dog pile on, the bits are not only not that funny, they go on forever. I don't want to see a 5 minute long sequence of Peter fighting a chicken or Stewie assaulting the hell out of Brian or the cast of characters taking turns vomiting. None of that is funny in the first place.

Although, in the interest of fairness, the "Lois. Lois. Lois...." bit slays me every time to the point where I use that in my daily life.

• Love 4

And to dog pile on, the bits are not only not that funny, they go on forever. I don't want to see a 5 minute long sequence of Peter fighting a chicken or Stewie assaulting the hell out of Brian or the cast of characters taking turns vomiting. None of that is funny in the first place.

Family Guy to me seems like a show that does not hold up well on repeated viewings. I stopped watching a few years ago, and even before that I can't think of any of the post cancellation episodes that I wanted to watch more than once. And the chicken thing was painful. I think there was at least one episode where the chicken fight took up close to 1/3 the entire run time of the episode. 

• Love 2

The good dolls say "How do you do?"   So she probably says "fuck off." 

This would make her the most awesome doll ever. "Dolly - The Blatantly Honest Doll." 

Other phrases include "NO, YOU'RE NOT FUCKING FAT!"  and "Yes, it is your fault."