Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Chapter 43

Well shit just got real.

Well at least now we know where Claire got that ice in her veins.  That was cold Clarie's mom.

MEECHUM!!!!!!!!  NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Interesting storyline for Lucus.  Not sure what to make of it.  We all know Frank is a bad guy and Lucus is right about all the things he has done but Lucus has done some shady things himself and now has killed someone.  Hell he killed a secret service agent.  

The interesting thing about the show though is characters you right off as unimportant become important later. Season 1 I was pretty sure Donald Blythe was a one trick pony.  Someone who took an early fall for Frank Underwood but he has steadily made himself important to the show and to Frank because he is such a reasonable and predictable guy.  Hell now he is even President.  I wonder how dangerous a man he really is.  

The phone call between Claire and Meechum's family was a nice little bit.  

• Love 4

Poor, simple Meecham. He only ever loved his bosses so much that he even had a threesome with them. 

I was surprised it was Lucas but they sure made a point that his life has gone to hell since his days at the paper. This episode was a much-needed turning point for me. I was pretty bored with the first 3. 

• Love 7

Wow, poor Lucas.  And to think all of this could have been avoided had Frank been appointed as Sec. of Education as he had been promised. 

Yeah, I thought this episode was much more compelling than the first three.  I really like LeAnn. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, that was disappointing. Why do all the reporter characters keep dropping out of the show? I was really hoping Lucas could bounce back. Maybe Janine will feel bad for abandoning him and get back in the game. Maybe Kim Dickens (Kate?) will come back. *sigh*

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 3

Why did they kill my sweet, threesome having, Meechum??!! Why couldn't it have been fucking Doug!!  It's too bad we lost Lucas because I really need someone to take Frank & Clair down and I feel like he was the only one who could do it. 

• Love 13

I just can't bring myself to root for Claire, I really can't. If in the past three seasons she had shown some competence at advanced politicking, I would be down for her puppet-master routine. But she hasn't, she hasn't been successful at anything the entire show. And she just keeps burning the house down because she'll happily be queen of the ashes. And now Meechum's dead. 

Doug is totally going to snap and try to murder her before the season's out, I bet. He looked so enraged at the final press conference.

• Love 13
(edited)

Sigh.  I'd hoped that when critics were saying there's a really surprising event coming up on HOC it would genuinely be surprising.  But HOC never met heavy foreshadowing it didn't like (here's Lucas in jail weirdly getting the opening scene of the season; now here's Lucas being humiliated at work; now here's Lucas getting turned down by the Dunbar campaign; now here's Frank having an uncharacteristically long talk with Meechum; now here's Frank tracing Meechum's hand on the wall; now here's Frank weirdly spending an awful long time making his way through a crowd). 

Maybe I just watch too much tv, but when Frank was shot I was less "ohmigod, I can't believe that happened"  and more "ohmigod, why are critics absolutely shocked at the same plot development that Scandal did about two years ago?"

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 4

I just can't bring myself to root for Claire, I really can't. If in the past three seasons she had shown some competence at advanced politicking, I would be down for her puppet-master routine. But she hasn't, she hasn't been successful at anything the entire show. And she just keeps burning the house down because she'll happily be queen of the ashes. And now Meechum's dead. 

Same. I have to wonder about this latest maneuver with the Russians, too. The Secretary of State looked beside herself at that development - I think she said, "But we'll lose our leverage." Now if they make this turn out that it was a genius move on Claire's part, I'm  going to be mad. Not just for having to eat my words, but because they haven't laid any groundwork for Claire being smart about foreign policy (or any policy except pleasing herself).

• Love 4

I am not sure why we have to root for anyone. I am enjoying the fabulous acting and the story of manipulation to get to power and scheming it takes to keep it. Frank was never elected to office he was always appointed. Well not since he was Governor of South Carolina or Senetor or something. He became President through manipulation but now to keep it he has to actually run for office. He may actually be the underdog because he has to contend with public opinion and not just manipulate the situation to his benifit

I am not rooting for anyone. I am enjoying watching Frank and Claire manipulate and use the people around them to get what they want. And the acting by both Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright is exquisite.

• Love 18

At this point I don't consider myself as rooting for Claire, but rooting against Doug. I find him absolutely loathsome. I believe this episode is supposed to convince us that Claire can handle making tough political decisions under time constraints - evidence she is a contender. Well, I don't buy it. But as long as Doug lives, I will root against anything that he wants.

• Love 4

I am not sure why we have to root for anyone. I am enjoying the fabulous acting and the story of manipulation to get to power and scheming it takes to keep it. Frank was never elected to office he was always appointed. Well not since he was Governor of South Carolina or Senetor or something. He became President through manipulation but now to keep it he has to actually run for office. He may actually be the underdog because he has to contend with public opinion and not just manipulate the situation to his benifit

I am not rooting for anyone. I am enjoying watching Frank and Claire manipulate and use the people around them to get what they want. And the acting by both Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright is exquisite.

I'm not rooting for anyone either. In fact, I am looking forward to seeing most of them get exactly what they deserve. But there is time for that. Claire is a fascinating and loathsome character and I enjoy every minute that she is on-screen. Robin Wright is brilliant in this role.

Poor Lucas. I was hoping that he had a better plan to bring down Frank. Now it will fall to Dunbar and the Attny General to start putting the pieces together (hopefully). 

Poor Meechum. His devotion to Frank was bound to end poorly. And with Meechum's death, it is the end of "eye candy"...until Joel Kinnaman emerges.

• Love 5

All of them are tragic characters.

For me the most tragic character right now is Doug, because without Frank (and Claire), as we saw before, he just had no life.

The interesting thing, to me, is how Doug seems to have completely forgotten what he's been through, and has just gotten back where he's left off. That seems too smooth to me. At some stage, something gotta give.

Sorry for Meechum and Lucas's demise - can someone with a better memoy remind me how Lucas ended up in prison? 

• Love 2

All of them are tragic characters.

For me the most tragic character right now is Doug, because without Frank (and Claire), as we saw before, he just had no life.

The interesting thing, to me, is how Doug seems to have completely forgotten what he's been through, and has just gotten back where he's left off. That seems too smooth to me. At some stage, something gotta give.

Sorry for Meechum and Lucas's demise - can someone with a better memoy remind me how Lucas ended up in prison?

Basically he went to a hacker guy (Gavin with the Guinea pig) to get help in his investigation about Zoe's death and the investigation (Peter Russo) she was doing. Gavin set him up by telling him to get into a telephone company's main frame computers and put in Gavin's thumb drive. Lucas could do that as he could get press clearance and claim he was doing a story. It turns out that Gavin was setting him up, via the FBI. Gavin's motivation in the setup was to free his hacker friends from federal prison.

I believe the whole sting was started by Douglas pulling some kind of strings with homeland security, but I could be mistaken.

• Love 2

Not Meechum!!!!!! damn didn't read critics or semi-spoilers but this one got me by surprise, I thought maybe Frank was going to get slapped by that woman or something..

Found a bit weird that a show that "fourth-walls" Frank didn't show us the ride to the hospital and maybe the surgery to save him.

• Love 1

At a purely gut level, I loved it.  It was about time Francis felt some consequences, so that was gratifying.  I never had much use for Lucas, so I was glad his story finally went somewhere dramatic.

The little subplot that had Doug trying to lure Le Ann away from Claire's campaign, and then Claire countering with the divorce note, was a tiny gem.  That's the stuff on this show that I really like.

I am sad to see Meechum go, but felt the hallway wall-marker scene was a nice send-off.  Meechum ranks second only to Aaron Pierce (24) in my affections for secret service guys.

I completely agree with this.  Doug's character ought to be more complicated, given his history.  Unlike many other posters (it seems), I like it when Doug is involved in the political plots, and I like the actor, so I'm going to blame this disconnect on the writers.  I hope they give him more to do soon.

• Love 1

Please consider my membership for the I Continue to Fucking Hate Doug Stamper Club.  Meetings are: all the time.  Irredeemable asshole.

This is the first season where I was starting to fall in love with Meechum -- Um, I don't know what's wrong with me that I never really noticed how incredibly pretty he is before?  So of course this happens.

Can someone do a simple recap for me what drove Lucas to this?  What did he say at the assassination attempt?  And what did he try to get Dunbar to do?  I'm sorry to ask all of this but it's really hard to Google this stuff without running into spoilers.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I am not rooting for anyone. I am enjoying watching Frank and Claire manipulate and use the people around them to get what they want.

God thank you. I can't stand the whole idea of "rooting" for characters in a story. Sympathizing, empathizing, sure. But it's not a baseball game. I'm not rooting for any of these characters. The story to me is the most important part, not who "wins" at the end. I enjoy seeing the drama between all of these foul characters and the turns and twists of the plot.

Poor, sweet, simple Meechum. The man who took "employee loyalty" to whole new heights.

Sad Sack of the Century goes to Lucas. What a miserable life and an equally pitiful end.

• Love 2

My reaction to Frank being shot was damn, Frank is really committed to making sure that Claire doesn't go through with this divorce! I suspected he had set this up an assassination attempt to manipulate her into staying on his terms (because what kind of woman could announce she's divorcing her husband right after an assassination attempt?) AND get some public sympathy to increase his popularity.

But I couldn't figure out a way to make Lucas fit into his plan. It's not like he called Lucas and said, "Great news! I'm going to let you shoot me in front of a bunch of people and then best case scenario, you will be in federal prison for the rest of your life!" So now I'm back to thinking it's just dumb luck that Frank will end up getting his way (at least in terms of Claire and a bump in popularity).

But Meechum - noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Even if he weren't pretty to look at, he was one of the only genuinely nice people in the HoC universe. He was kind to both Claire and Frank and he was loyal.

Speaking of which, I wasn't 100% sure about Leanne but turning down the opportunity to be Frank's campaign manager because her first loyalty is to Claire? I don't know how smart that was for her career, but it's nice to see that not everyone can be bought with money or the promise of power.

• Love 4

Why did they kill my sweet, threesome having, Meechum??!! Why couldn't it have been fucking Doug!!  It's too bad we lost Lucas because I really need someone to take Frank & Clair down and I feel like he was the only one who could do it.

I've been clinging to the idea that Lucas was waiting out there in the wings, and would take Frank down, but now that hope is crushed. I hope someone will pick up where he left off, because I can't take another season of Frank always ending up on top.

• Love 4

Same. I have to wonder about this latest maneuver with the Russians, too. The Secretary of State looked beside herself at that development - I think she said, "But we'll lose our leverage." Now if they make this turn out that it was a genius move on Claire's part, I'm  going to be mad. Not just for having to eat my words, but because they haven't laid any groundwork for Claire being smart about foreign policy (or any policy except pleasing herself).

I'm not spoiled past this episode, but I believe that the show won't make this a genius move on Claire's part. I think we were supposed to infer that Claire wants this operation to tank, in order to spite Frank.

I'm a bit surprised that we didn't hear what Dunbar had to say about the assassination attempt on Frank.

I think this is the first time we have seen Doug look crestfallen. It really is sad how devoted he is to Frank.

Poor Meechum.  Like others before you, you didn't die for your country, you died for the Underwoods.  At least you got a three-way out of it.

I think this is the first time we have seen Doug look crestfallen. It really is sad how devoted he is to Frank.

I'll never feel sad for Doug.  He is a sad human being though.  Nothing but a murdering little lapdog.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2

I am sad to see Meechum go, but felt the hallway wall-marker scene was a nice send-off.  Meechum ranks second only to Aaron Pierce (24) in my affections for secret service guys.

No matter what I see that actor in, I always say, "Aaron!" when I see him. Always.

• Love 4

Well at least now we know where Claire got that ice in her veins.  That was cold Clarie's mom.

Yes good gracious. The mere sight of Claire and her mom would make a Game of Thrones White Walker reach for a parka. 

I have to say, I always kinda rolled my eyes at the Claire is beloved by the American populous and higher in the polls than Frank stuff. Even in her 'warm' interactions she reads as quite aloof to me. I wouldn't say that the public would sense the dragon dressed in a neutral palette but this level of love they are suggesting given her undeserved appointment as an ambassador and subsequent failure is hard to swallow. 

• Love 3

At this point I don't consider myself as rooting for Claire, but rooting against Doug. I find him absolutely loathsome. I believe this episode is supposed to convince us that Claire can handle making tough political decisions under time constraints - evidence she is a contender. Well, I don't buy it. But as long as Doug lives, I will root against anything that he wants.

I believe it is further proof that Claire is willing to ruin anything and everything just to prove that she is ultimately in charge.  Claire hasn't done anything that proves that she should be in control, but she keeps proving that she is the one in control and that Frank and others only get their way because she allows it - she could change the course of events anytime she wants.  

At a purely gut level, I loved it.  It was about time Francis felt some consequences, so that was gratifying. 

And Frank felt those consequences on a purely gut level too (sorry, couldn't resist).   

• Love 2

Poor Meechum. There goes my number one reason for watching HOC.

I am also having difficulty believing Claire is getting such high approval ratings given she fucked up her ambassadorship so bad and the fact that she forced her husband to appoint her in the position. Trying to blackmail Frank into making her his Vice President is another ridiculous move.

I am in the "I hate Doug Stamper" club too and will be rooting against him. I can never forgive him for what he did to Rachel.

• Love 1

I wasn't surprised by the shooting. I haven't read anything about the season, but as soon as I saw the setup, with the angles on him, and his security, I thought it was the perfect setup for a shooting. When that woman started to tell him he should resign, though, I thought she was going to do something. 

I am pissed. Poor, sweet, willing to engage in a threesome Meechum was my favorite character. I should have known the second he started getting more airtime.  One of the only decent, innocent characters in the entire show - and he was shot by one of the only other innocent characters too. Lucas, we hardly knew ye. I have to wonder if the actor playing Lucas was needed elsewhere and had to leave quickly, because it seems like too abrupt of an ending to that storyline. If only Dunbar had gotten to him sooner. Dumbass Lucas probably just won Frank the sympathy vote all the way to the nom.

With Meechum gone, Remy, you're the last man standing in terms of eye candy for me.

Claire sitting at Frank's bedside was very grim. They've isolated themselves to the point where fucking Doug is their only shoulder to lean on. Normally you'd expect Meechum to have been hovering protectively in the background. Having him called "Eddie" was heartbreaking.

Edited by EarlGreyTea

Very sad to see Meechum died.

I lol'd over Doug's conversation with Claire, how they didn't see Lucas as a threat at that time because they'd been dealing with Claire's apparent bigger threats.  Touche.

She sure doesn't seem all that upset over Frank being shot.  

• Love 1