Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: The Daily Double

• Start Topic

Good for Brian, that was a great comeback!  Yes, Troy was easy on the eyes but Brian doesn't hurt them either.  I liked the lady on the end too.

I chose Chrysler first for FJ but then changed it to General Motors with enough time to write it down.

Brian just didn't do it for me. I think unbuttered toast is more exciting. Also, Doug Flutie as a Mormon? Guess Ole Brian isn't much of a football fan!

I was bummed Angie didn't win. I loved that gutsy wager on the DD! Troy was a little too shmoozy on this episode, I wasn't sorry to see him go.

Angie seemed nice enough but I couldn't handle listening to her. I wasn't too enamored of Brian either, I mean good on him for FJ but he was wrong a whole lot.

Troy amused my son and I with his quip to Alex about Antarctica.

• Love 1

That was a very odd game -- all the wrong answers in the Jeopardy round, and yet another easy FJ (I thought it was easy, I yelled 'GM' at the TV almost immediately).  

Loved Angie's game attitude -- she was playing to win, and it paid off with her DD wager, but she guessed wrong in FJ (though she wagered to win).

Congrats to Bryan on the come from behind victory, considering he was in negative numbers at the start of DJ.

Actually, Angie made a dumb FJ bet. She can't beat Troy, if both of them are right and Troy makes the bet he needs to make to keep her from winning. Bryan had less than half her total. So the right bet for her is zero, or at least a small enough number that Bryan doesn't pass her if he is right and she is wrong. She threw the game away.

• Love 2

Yeah, I thought FJ was an easy one. You just never know what's going to stump people.

I really liked when Troy said to Alex, "Do you have a restaurant you recommend?" He caught Alex off-guard. Funny moment.

I felt bad for Brian in the first round when he kept guessing wrong answer after wrong answer. I hope he redeems himself the next game. BTW, to me he kind of looks like a more handsome Ron Perlman.

• Love 1

The moment Angie said she was a Seahawks fan, I wanted her to lose.  I noticed that they weren't asking any questions tonight about any Seahawks quarterbacks.  That was a terrible wager and I'm glad she didn't win.

What is with Alex lately?  Seriously, Paige wins over $32K in one day, and she got lucky with categories, while Troy wins $28K in one day and he's "obviously well-read based on that amount."  Granted Paige is a lawyer and got a law category, but still one category isn't enough to have a one day total like that.

Brian just didn't do it for me. I think unbuttered toast is more exciting. Also, Doug Flutie as a Mormon? Guess Ole Brian isn't much of a football fan!

Apparently, my dumb Big Ten answer from the Tuesday's game was on Fox Sports and the homepage of MSN, which my friends thought was hilarious, but I wasn't that amused because I thought I was perpetuating that myth that women don't know much about sports.

Also, Brian is a super nice guy.  I mentioned upthread that I got to know the Tuesday taping group better because I was there all day, but of all the contestants in the Wednesday taping pool, I talked with Brian the most, maybe because my husband is from Atlanta and I've spent a lot of time there.  

I actually clapped at the end of tonight's game because I was so happy for him.

I was very happy to see that the first answer in the Jeopardy round mentioned the town I now reside in - Elizabethtown, PA!

Yes, the New Year's Eve celebration in town always features the lowering of an oversized M&M!

The reason for it is, is that there is an M&M/Mars facility in town. (On certain days, the whole town smells like chocolate!)

• Love 1

Mmmm, chocolate.....

I thought tonight's match was great. I always like it when it's anybody's game going into FJ. I'm a huge dog lover so FJ was an easy one for me. Newfies and Labs are such awesome dogs, they deserve their own Province!

• Love 1

I figured Newfoundland was one of the dogs, but I took a guess on Labrador. I think Troy misunderstood the clue and thought it was referring to the newest province.

Pretty good game. I thought Esther Williams and Thomas Jefferson (founding a university) were pretty easy.

It was pretty funny when Alex said to Stacy about her first game show, "Was it good?" Made me chuckle.

• Love 2

Hah! I figured Labrador was one of the dogs and drew a blank on Newfoundland. I was also (hate to admit this) unaware that a Canadian province had been officially (re)named so recently. Tant pis. But hey, if Alex ever got mad at me for not knowing something about Canada I'd just regale him with a rousing rendition of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Canada. For some reason I've known the words to that for many years. Probably from attending so many NHL games when I was younger. The English words, that is. Despite my having studied French for 5 years way back when, I don't have a clue when it comes to the words en Francais.

I blanked on FJ in spite of the fact I specifically reviewed Canadian geography before I went on Jeopardy.  I've noticed that Canadian geography come up a lot.  I also reviewed presidential trivia and and saw that Madison had two VPs that died in office and I remembered thinking that that fact would make a good trivia question. 

(edited)

I thought tonight's match was great. I always like it when it's anybody's game going into FJ. I'm a huge dog lover so FJ was an easy one for me. Newfies and Labs are such awesome dogs, they deserve their own Province!

I am more of a cat gal, but my parents and sister are obsessed with dogs!  Also, I love Canada, and a good friend was telling me recently about the 2001 Newfoundland + Labrador amendment, so I thought tonight's FJ was easy, too!  I was rooting for Brian, so I was bummed he didn't get it, but I loved his answer.  :)

Tigershark, I bet you are getting so excited!  :)

Edited by theajw

I was also (hate to admit this) unaware that a Canadian province had been officially (re)named so recently.

The three Canadians in my house were unaware too. My first reaction was Nunavut because it is the newest province but that didn't make sense. I was in school around the time it was renamed and don't remember hearing about an official change at all. I can't even remember if I wrote just "Newfoundland" prior to 2001, or I always wrote 'and Labrador'

It's funny but I guessed what it was before the clue was revealed. When the subject was revealed and they went to commercial I told my SO that it's probably Newfoundland and Labrador. I was shocked when that's what it was.

• Love 1

I felt bad for Brian when Alex's dickishness surfaced again. In his ramble before the game, he said that Brian had trouble with the buzzer yesterday, then when he buzzed in he was wrong, but luckily he got FJ right. Was there any reason for that? Brian won over $12,000 to be champ, so he couldn't have had too bad a game. Generally I like Alex, but it's mystifying when he says stuff like that.

I watched Thursday's game, and Brian did have a rough go of it, and did get lucky when the other two (IIRC) a) didn't get FJ and b) bet enough to lose to Brian.  I didn't think Alex's remarks were "dickish" at all.

• Love 2

It's funny but I guessed what it was before the clue was revealed. When the subject was revealed and they went to commercial I told my SO that it's probably Newfoundland and Labrador. I was shocked when that's what it was.

That would have been good if you were a contestant on the show. "Umm, no need to reveal the clue Alex. It's Newfoundland and Labrador. Where's my money?"

I was a contestant in 1998 and I didn't know my FJ, so everyday when I get it right I almost always say "why wasn't that my FJ question, dammit?"

What was your category/question?

Category-Shakespeare

The clue--Hamlet said about this character that he was a "man of infinite jest"

Of course, the answe was Yorick, and this clue was repeated almost verbatim in the regular game just a few months ago. But at the time, I just Could Not Come Up with the correct question.

Didn't Woodrow Wilson have a strong university connection? To Princeton or somewhere?

He was president of Princeton from 1902 to 1910. I was surprised that Jefferson was a TS, but I lived in Charlottesville for eight years. The adulation for TJ was really laid on thick there.

• Love 1

Category-Shakespeare

The clue--Hamlet said about this character that he was a "man of infinite jest"

Of course, the answe was Yorick, and this clue was repeated almost verbatim in the regular game just a few months ago. But at the time, I just Could Not Come Up with the correct question.

You knew the answer but just couldn't remember it at that time?

My first reaction was Nunavut because it is the newest province but that didn't make sense.

Nunavut is only a territory, though, not a province, correct?

It's funny but I guessed what it was before the clue was revealed. When the subject was revealed and they went to commercial I told my SO that it's probably Newfoundland and Labrador.

My husband did the same!

• Love 1
(edited)
Nunavut is only a territory, though, not a province, correct?

Yep.  There are 10 provinces and 3 territories in Canada.  Nunavut is the most recent territory.  The clue was after a province, however. And, of course, Nunavut didn't answer the other part of the clue, about the dogs.  Still, I think it was good to write SOMETHING, because writing nothing is always incorrect.

Edited by TracySMiller
  • Love 1

No, not really. I could have been at that podium for hours and wouldn't have had an answer. But once revealed, of course it made sense. It was a case of me not paying attention in 11th grade English class. I was an accounting major. I never studied much classic literature except for a few things in high school.

When the FJ category came up I pre-called Dog River, Saskatchewan so I was surprised that it really was about Canada.  Instaget for this Canadian of course.

Is it tomorrow night that we will see Tigershark?

When the FJ category came up I pre-called Dog River, Saskatchewan so I was surprised that it really was about Canada. Instaget for this Canadian of course.

Is it tomorrow night that we will see Tigershark?

I believe he said his show was on the 24th - this Tuesday.

• Love 1

Yes my show is tomorrow.  My name is Jennifer.

Holy crap that was frustrating!  I am such a huge musical theatre fan.  I think I may have cried a bit when I saw the category for FJ.  On top of that, the also asked a question about Idina Menzel! I think I actually laughed a little with the Idina Menzel question- this taped two weeks after the Oscars and that was still fresh in everyone's mind.  Ironically, the very first person I talked to at the hotel waiting for the shuttle was Alison.  She asked if there was any category I specifically wanted to see and I said I wanted a musical theatre category.  She said she liked geography.  Not surprising considering she won by correctly answering a geography question, which I didn't know that at the time.

I need to watch when this episode airs here in a couple hours.  Seriously, most of the experience was a complete blur and the two things that stuck out were FJ and that question about Idina. 

• Love 1

I am looking forward to watching you play, Tigershark. 

I hope you do very well!

I thought it was a fairly easy board but FJ stumped me.  Broadway is not a strong subject for me.

I love Broadway, but I didn't know FJ.  :o

I feel awful for admitting this, but even though she was in the contestant pool for my week, too, I can't remember Alison to save my life. I'm trying to think about where we were all sitting in the van to jog my memory, but to no avail.

Tigershark, that shuttle ride (and the nervous wait in the hotel lobby) was such an interesting part of the whole experience, wasn't it? II remember looking around the lobby for people with garment bags. The day before, I was in a panic because I didn't bring a garment bag and I couldn't find one in the very crowded mall near the hotel, so I just had to bring my carry-on.  It all worked out.

That was in the hotel lobby.  You walked down there and you saw a few people milling about and you knew exactly why.they were there.  Everyone had a hanging garment bag, except me.  I just folded my clothes in an overnight bag.  It didn't really matter because once you got to the studio, there was a place to hang clothes.

The shuttle ride was an interesting dynamic.  A couple of people were from the NY/NJ area and recognized each other from the audition.  I didn't see anyone from my audition.  On the shuttle ride to the studio, me and another contestant bonded over the fact that we were both complete idiots and forgot our proof of social security number and the pains we had to go though to have someone fax/email it to us.  We both eventually got it.  Halfway to LA, I had to pull off in middle of nowhere at 9:00 Monday night to call my dad to tell him where he could find it.

I didn't get FJ either. I guessed How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, forgetting that it was a play before it was a movie. I think it was probably older than 2013, too (the Daniel Radcliffe version).

I need to google that wife-carrying competition in Finland.

These contestants didn't get many wrong, nor were there many TSs. The two I got were dandelion wine -- I hadn't heard of that book, but I thought the answer was obvious from the clue -- and Wounded Knee.

Oh, and I didn't know that hummingbirds were only in the Americas.

I immediately guessed The Lion King but the specification of 2013 made me question it. That show feels like it's been on Broadway for 100 years, just kidding, at least 5 years, or maybe they meant 2013 was when it hit that gross? I forget the wording.

Fantastic betting tonight in FJ!  Congratulations to Alison for coming through when it counted.  James was a bright contestant, but the uptalk was really grating on my nerves.  I can tolerate it on the responses, but using it when choosing the category is a bit much.  I keep expecting Alex to ask, "Are you sure about that?"

• Love 1

At first, I was thinking Beauty and the Beast, but then I was all, "Duh!" and came up with Lion King. If I had been a contestant, I don't know if I would have had time to make the switch, though.

It's always interesting what comes easily and what doesn't. I'm not a big theater buff, but knew FJ before Alex was done reading the clue. I just assumed they'd all get it right, so figured it would all come down to wagering. I was shocked when only the champ was right. But of course, there are those days when all three get it right and I had no idea...

These contestants didn't get many wrong, nor were there many TSs. The two I got were dandelion wine -- I hadn't heard of that book, but I thought the answer was obvious from the clue -- and Wounded Knee.

Two things I knew from childhood! I was young when Wounded Knee took place, but I'll never forget it. Read "Dandelion Wine" in high school English; the teacher was a big Ray Bradbury fan who made us pick that book apart for weeks! Another thing I'll never forget.

Another excellent game by a poster!  Great game, Tigershark.  You had some pretty stiff competition which made it an exciting game.  So glad you won.

I knew FJ was the American version of our CRTC but I couldn't come up with it.

• Love 2