Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: The Daily Double

• Start Topic

It was my "you aren't allowed to play with this; it's only for display" doll

I played wiuth mine. I'm sure the collectors would be horrified, but she's held up under field conditions very well. She's missing one shoe and both socks, and I unbraided her hair on one side because I wanted to braid it for her, so now one of her braids is "factory specs" and the other is "child quality"-- but she she's perfectly intact otherwise, unlike all the crappy breakable junk we're supposed to play with and have our hearts broken by.

I guessed Denmark for FJ, but was 90% certain I'd be wrong.

(edited)

Bridgitte Bardot question was a complete shot in the dark that I was shocked was correct. 

I too guessed Brigit Bardot, but I wasn't positive. She was the first French actress to pop into my head.

I'm so glad I read Summer of My German Soldier when I was in middle school.

Hee. Yeah, I thought your happiness in getting to answer that was cute.

I realized I was ahead decided to pick the lower valued categories to keep the other players from over taking me.

I know you explained this, but I still don't get it. Are you saying that those are easier, so you're more likely to get them right? Or is it because if someone else buzzes in and answers correctly, they will earn only a small amount?

I also wonder if the clue writers (or Alex) purposely said siblings to make us think there must have been some women leaders, thus leading to one of those European nations that have women in charge…..

Ahhh. I wondered why a few of us picked those countries. Tricky. 

Edited by peeayebee

I know you explained this, but I still don't get it. Are you saying that those are easier, so you're more likely to get them right? Or is it because if someone else buzzes in and answers correctly, they will earn only a small amount?

If someone else buzzes in, they will only get a small amount.

Jennifer is easy on the eyes.

Yes! I agree.

Tigershark/Jennifer - congratulations on the win! I had to come here to find out that you are a two day champion, since I lost cable last night due to a severe thunderstorm. I like that you play with a passion.

Whew!  Congratulations Jennifer/Tigershark!  Hope you keep it going.

I, too, have a collection of Madame Alexander dolls, some going back to the early 1950's before they were manufactured with jointed legs.  Just recently sold 5 of the "mint in box" for a small fortune!  I thought it a bit disingenuous of Alex to feign knowledge of MA since they've been used in Jeopardy! clues on at least a couple occasions, one of which asked contestants to identify the manufacturer via a doll's photo.  And then there's this $800 clue:  http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=334

Will be glued to the screen again tonight to cheer you on...

Bridgitte Bardot question was a complete shot in the dark that I was shocked was correct.

You shouldn't have come clean about that Tigershark, I was impressed you were apparently familiar with a somewhat-obscure Pretenders song!

Pretty cool that you were able to tip Hillary Clinton off about your impending TV appearance. Not many people can lay claim to that!

• Love 2

Oh, I see...to eat up clock time.  I wonder if anyone ever purposely slows down when they have a lead, similar to the way a basketball team slows down their play when they have the lead: "Let's see...I wonder what category I should choose now...Hmmmmm...No, I don't like that one....No, that one's too hard...".

I've seen it happen. I remember back in our TWOP days many of us complaining about a contestant who did that. It seemed like poor sportsmanship.

Good game on Thursday.  I liked the accent and voice of the other lady contestant (sorry, deleted the game already from the DVR so I don't know any names) and the man was funny.  Very enjoyable to watch everyone.

I've seen it happen. I remember back in our TWOP days many of us complaining about a contestant who did that. It seemed like poor sportsmanship.

I kind of wonder if part of why it doesn't feel right is the same as why jumping around the board doesn't. It's more fun to watch if the game goes along in an orderly fashion and if you actually get to see all of the clues. Of course, the home viewer isn't trying to win a bunch of money and I've come to appreciate good strategy almost as much as just knowing a lot of stuff.

• Love 1
(edited)

I find myself torn when someone starts obviously burning the clock. On one hand, it's a GAAAAAAME and you're playing to win, while on the other, it isn't a sport, so there seems to be some expectation of decorum.

In my mind, choosing the small value clues is far less offensive than someone hemming and hawing about the category choices, which I find slightly offensive. As an avid watcher of sporting events, I have no problem with burning the clock in sports. I realise that is completely hypocritical, but... I can live with it.

Edited by mledawn

Eeee! I know I don't post here all that much, but it's been so exciting to watch Jennifer/Tigershark! I was glad I didn't have to hold my breath during FJ today. 

It may sound terrible, but as soon as that woman on the other end rang in and answered the first question, I was hoping she wouldn't win because she spoke soooo sloooowly and took her time picking the next clue.

I did laugh at the response of the guy in the middle in FJ. If you don't know the answer and there's no chance of really affecting the outcome of the game anyway, might as well have some fun!

• Love 3

That's what I'm talkin' about! Nice one, Jennifer! I'll spare you from any more of my predictions. Quit while I'm ahead, as it were :) I answered Alfred Nobel for FJ. I'd trade that any day, though, for not knowing it and being a 3-day champion (so far). Speaking for myself, I'm proud of you!

I was pleased with buddy making the joke in his FJ response.

Congratulations, Jennifer! I was yelling at you for bawl/ball and the two Irishy responses (River Liffey and the Celts) but you had that game in hand.

From the shallow end, I loved your dress!

(edited)

Another great game from Jennifer!

I went with Krupp for FJ; of course, as soon as Alex said his name is now synonymous with "peace" (although  I think that's really stretching it) I realized it was Nobel.

Loved Ari's FJ answer.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

No offense, Tigershark (I really thought you were very impressive), but the fact that not one person got the FJ was appaliing to me.  I realize its easy to shout out answers in my living room, but I thought that was such a gimme. 

(edited)

No offense, Tigershark (I really thought you were very impressive), but the fact that not one person got the FJ was appaliing to me.  I realize its easy to shout out answers in my living room, but I thought that was such a gimme.

As soon as Alex said the answer, I was kicking myself.  I really should have gotten that one.  Especially since I was a science major.

Edited by Tigershark
  • Love 2

As soon as Alex said the answer, I was kicking myself.  I really should have gotten that one.  Especially since I was a science major.

Tigershark, I was so rooting for you, so I was very happy that you have tons of cash - no one could catch you! Excellent.

I didn't get FJ either - I was racking my brain thinking of car or gun manufacturers. The moment Alex said the word "peace", I was like *sigh - of course, dynamite and Nobel*

The date is what threw me off. I forget how early Nobel was around.

Thought you did wonderful and smiled when you almost ran the theatre category. I'll be cheering for you tomorrow.

• Love 1

Way to go, Jennifer! It's only your third game, and you look like an old champion. (I don't mean OLD old, just… you know.)

I didn't get FJ. I came up with absolutely nothing. I don't really know much about Nobel.

Ari's FJ was great. I also loved how he answered "Who is Putin."

I haven't seen the show in what seems like eons, and only caught parts of tonight's episode.  Congrats, Tigershark.

I cannot believe they put up pictures of Putin and Ahmadinejad.  Why bother having the text of the clue?

• Love 2

I cannot believe they put up pictures of Putin and Ahmadinejad.  Why bother having the text of the clue?

Someone way a couple of episodes ago posted about the use of picture clues, and I so wanted to respond "Wait until I'm on.  I think I saw the worst picture clue ever," referring to the Putin clue.  The Diane Sawyer clue was pretty bad as well.

I bet theajw is mad that she didn't get the Dough Nation category.  I knew that was coming, I just couldn't remember what day.  

I was so happy when I got the Broadway category!

Interestingly enough, when Alex had a Q&A with the audience, several people asked what his favorite book was, and it was "Wuthering Heights."  Interesting that they asked a question about that.  

After I answered the question about James Carville, all I could think of for the rest of the Jeopardy round was Bill Hader's SNL impersonation of him.  

• Love 2

Yay for Tigershark/Jennifer!!! Way to go with the runaway!

As soon as I saw the word "factories" and "no war," I knew it was Nobel. I think I've seen that quote from him somewhere, and it always stuck in my head that his invention of dynamite, and its destructive capabilities, was what caused him to revere peace.

I, too, was shouting "Liffey!!" and "Celts!!!!" at the tv. But I was having major brain farts on the literary deaths category.  I was afraid that y'all wouldn't get around to the Iron Age category in the second round (I'm a big ole geek about ancient history, so I was really anxious to see the clues there).

Oh, and they can bring back George Stephanopoulos any time--he knew exactly how to handle celebrity-read categories: read the clues as fast as you can while enunciating, and don't try to be cute.

• Love 2

I had the same reaction to George Stephanopoulos. At first I thought, "Oh great. Another celebrity reading slowly," but I was very impressed with how well he did the clues. I even wondered if he was aware of how poorly some guest-clue givers do this and so wanted to handle it well.

As far as yelling answers at the TV, I too was yelling 'Celts.' It was the first thing that came to mind, but when no one else was answering that, I started to doubt myself.

I also knew 'smelting,' maybe because it was fresh in my mind after doing a crossword puzzle where that was one of the answers.

• Love 1

So cool to have an actual  jeopardy champ on the boards!! Tigershark you are doing awesome! I visited the Jeopardy studio while in LA. Sadly no shows were being taped that day and didn't get to see Alex! I was surprised at how small the studio was!

Nice going Jennifer - it's been fun watching you win

I've said this before (as have many others) - some of those photo clues are waaay too simple - but George S. did a good job reading the questions in that category

I won't be able to watch tonight's game - hopefully tomorrow's posts will be congratulating you again!

I bet theajw is mad that she didn't get the Dough Nation category.  

When I saw the category, I thought, "Oh, that had better not be about money!"  It was. :)  I was yelling "quetzal" at the screen for the $2000 clue.  tigershark, I am glad you got "bolivar"--those are some of my favorite banknotes.

• Love 1

Congrats on a good run Tigershark -- it's unfortunate it came to an end, but that was another tough game.  But you do have nearly $60K to show for it, which isn't so bad. :)

BTW, I didn't get FJ either -- literature has never been my strong suit.

Enjoy your winnings, Jennifer, as much as we enjoyed watching you.  Congratulations on your 3-day win!

Instaget FJ for this Agatha Christie fan.

Ditto.  Huge fan here.

1920s British author and poison? Definitely Agatha. As a Doctor Who fan, that connection was firmly made for me in the episode The Unicorn and the Wasp.

Sorry to see you lose, Jennifer! You had a good run, and I hope you can enjoy your winnings.

Catty - I don't know if she was terrified or what but Jill winning was the worst possible outcome for me. Her voice was absolute nails on a chalkboard.

Sorry to see you go Jennifer! I was offended on your behalf with some of Alex's remarks. They felt like digs.

• Love 1

FJ this week has been hit or miss for me. I got Saudi Arabia immediately, but was clueless on Nobel and Agatha Christie. Go figure.

George S. did a great job as celebrity clue-reader. I was initially wary after Sandra Day O'Connor's painfully slow reading made me want to scratch my eyes out, but he was a real pro.

Tigershark, great run, you should be so proud!

(edited)

Thanks.  This episode was rough.  I was utterly exhausted and brain fried by the time it came around.  You probably noticed that.  I am dreading watching it.  On the bright side, the youtube of yesterday's episode got nearly 500,000 views because of Ari's FJ response before it was taken down.  Someone also posted the youtube of Monday's as well.  That also appears to have been taken down as well.  I did catch FJ, though

Edited by Tigershark

Oh, man, I'm bummed for you, Tigershark, but what a good run!  You should be very proud of yourself.  

I'm not a huge fan of mystery/detective fiction, but "poison" led me to Agatha Christie.  It's a lot easier playing from the couch, though.

Are your friends from your alma mater going to tease you for the Massachusetts guess for what was North Carolina?  :)

• Love 1
(edited)
I was utterly exhausted and brain fried by the time it came around.  You probably noticed that.

Yeah. I don't know how champs like Ken Jennings do it time after time. I can't imagine how tiring it is.

But you did great for 3 days. I was sorry to see you lose.

No one got the Marx Brothers?!? They've been a long-time favorite of mine. I'm not even sure if I've seen The Cocoanuts, but I knew it was their movie.

Oh, but I struggled to come up with Douglas Fairbanks name. I could see his face, and finally his name came to me just before Alex said it. I'm sure I would not have gotten it if I'd actually been playing.

And FJ seemed pretty easy to me. English writer. Woman. Poison. Agatha Christie. I was kind of appalled that Sunil said Sylvia Plath.

Edited by peeayebee
Is Sylvia Plath even British?  Instaget FJ for this Agatha Christie fan.

Nope, and her only novel's from 1963. I got Christie, though I've never read her. I've just seen a bunch of adaptations.

Jill winning was the worst possible outcome for me. Her voice was absolute nails on a chalkboard.

She also kept banging the surface in front of her, though I think she improved after the first break.

I have been missing the show a bit because of World Cup. It's nice to be able to watch it again now that the games don't interfere.

Is Sylvia Plath even British?

Huh.  I always assumed she was, because she was married to Ted Hughes, the poet laureate of England.

If Jennifer didn't win, I had hoped for Sunil, because (from my eternal position at the shallow end of the pool) he was very easy on the eyes.

I don't mean to come off as petty or unappreciative, but I really don't think military personel should wear their uniforms while playing game shows, unless it is relevant (like when all the contestants do on Wheel of Fortune when they have military themes).  I realize that game performance is not dependent on audience participation, but I do think it enhances a contestant's "likeability" (probably not the right word), and I wonder if it gives them a slight edge.  I'm not saying there is anything improper going on, of course.

They wear their uniforms on the Price Is Right as well. I wonder if the producers are behind this practice as it's good PR for the show. Sunil was definitely easy on the eyes and seemed really sweet, he was my No. 2 pic to win:)