Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: The Daily Double

• Start Topic

Andrea, I did not know your real name because I am fairly new to the boards.  So, I told my husband I would know who you were by the names.  Then Andrew with a W last name came out and your last name was a W as well.  I was so happy to come here and find out you were the AW that won.  Congrats!

Andrea!  Great game!  :) I hope you continue to!  But if you don't, what an experience!  And the money doesn't hurt.

What did you all talk about at the end during the end credits?  :)

Also, I have a little question for you.  The devices you use to ring in...I heard they were stiff like when people push in the cap to a marker.  Are they?  Ever since I heard that I wondered if it was true.

Yea Andrea!! That was fun to watch - congratulations on a well played game

My neighborhood had a 2 hour power-outage - I was telling my neighbors I was glad the power didn't go out until after Jeopardy as I "knew" one of the contestants!

• Love 1
(edited)
Andrew with a W last name came out and your last name was a W as well.  I was so happy to come here and find out you were the AW that won.  Congrats!

Ditto, I didn't know whether I would be giving congratulations or condolences!  Great game play, gutsy wager, and a very refreshing reaction to winning, I'm very impressed!

Edited by sugarbaker design
"Nostradamus"  hahahaha.  At least he pronounced it to rhyme with the stupid clue.

That was my favorite part, the verbal gymnastics he had to go through to get it to rhyme!

Congratulations on the win, Andrea! Any inside dirt to dish?? ;)

Andrea!  Great game!  :) I hope you continue to!  But if you don't, what an experience!  And the money doesn't hurt.

What did you all talk about at the end during the end credits?  :)

Also, I have a little question for you.  The devices you use to ring in...I heard they were stiff like when people push in the cap to a marker.  Are they?  Ever since I heard that I wondered if it was true.

Conversation at the end of this episode was about "conspiracy," and Alex asking the three of us how we knew it.  I think Alex asked Katie about her wager, but frankly, my mind was elsewhere, so I don't remember much, but Alex was very pleasant.  People keep asking me about my wager, and I was so in the moment that I didn't have time to do any complicated math, so a nice round number worked.  Lol.  I thought I was playing for second at that point.  I read all the stuff about Coryat before the taping...but being on the stage with limited time, I honestly didn't think of any of that.  The totals may have well been in Zimbabwe dollars.  :)  I love a chance to talk about my banknote obsession, but I thought they were going to ask me about something else, so I had to ad lib the chit chat.

The daily double in the second round?  I am weak on South American linguistics, but I do love dialects and geography, so I was red-faced about that one, too.

The buzzers are a little stiff, and it's very frustrating when you think you've clicked in time...and you haven't.  This has probably been brought up before, but we have to wait until the clue is read and we see a light, and then there is a fraction of a second--too early and you are blocked, too late and someone beats you.  Then I kept thinking about the production crew telling us about Eddie Timanus who seemed to have no problem with the buzzer even though he couldn't see the light!

Again, thank you all.  :)

• Love 3
This has probably been brought up before, but we have to wait until the clue is read and we see a light, and then there is a fraction of a second--too early and you are blocked, too late and someone beats you.  Then I kept thinking about the production crew telling us about Eddie Timanus who seemed to have no problem with the buzzer even though he couldn't see the light!

That is very interesting, I didn't know about the light - although, admittedly I am not a super hard-core Jeopardy enthusiast. I just like to play along at home.

Good game, Andrea!

Then I kept thinking about the production crew telling us about Eddie Timanus who seemed to have no problem with the buzzer even though he couldn't see the light!

I could be wrong, but I think in Eddie's case, they rang a little chime at the same time the light went on.

Continued success, Andrea!

I love that you collect banknotes. That is so fascinating. I don't remember if you said how many you have or from how many different countries.

I think that is the second time recently that Jerry Brown was a triple stumper. I thought he was well known nationally but I guess not.

I'm in California, and I didn't get it, but I think that's because the first part of the clue was confusing to me. I'll have to look at it again, but I couldn't decipher it at the time.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think you are right about Eddie and the sound effect.  Still, the light was getting in my head, mentally.

I have about a thousand banknotes from about a hundred countries, many of them not worth a lot, and not just in a hyperinflated way.  Belarusian rubles are especially worthless, but I have stacks of them.  (Animals!  They have animals on them!)  I also love money from nation-states that no longer exist.  I lived in Germany, so my prized banknote possession is my set of East German marks, which I recently had framed.  

Edited by theajw
  • Love 3

That Jerry Brown clue was very confusing.  I'm very familiar with him even though I'm not from CA,  And wasn't Katie from CA?   She didn't get it either.

I loved reading about your behind the scenes experience, Andrea.

I think I focused more on the second part of the clue which mentioned the oldest Governor of California and since the category was about Jerrys.

I forgot to mention the best part of last night (besides Andrea winning) - an entire category about Lord Rickman of the Alan! 

• Love 2

My best friend, who was at my viewing party, is a mega-fan of Alan Rickman and especially of Sense and Sensibility.  Thank goodness I rang in with the correct response. 

(edited)

Job well done, Andrea, and we'll be cheering you on again tonight!

Tigershark, you'll receive the same hearty support when you take your Jeopardy! turn next week!

Good luck to the both of you...

Update:  Well damn - just getting ready for Jeopardy! and remembered that we have yet another gubernatorial debate on tonight.  Will have to root for Andrea in absentia.

Edited by Tunia

Paige was manic on the button tonight. I was pulling for you the entire way Andrea!

I thought FJ was wicked easy...until I couldn't remember the damn hunchbacks name. I wonder if they would have accepted "The Hunchback of Notre Dame?"

If nothing else, I impressed my 16 year old by knowing Shintoism. I have to take it where I can get it with that boy.

Wow, Andrea.  You had some tough competition today.  But good job.  You made some serious change for two days work.

I love watching the show when I 'know' one of the contestants!

Today was really tough!  The buzzer problems that I alluded to earlier were magnified today.  Paige was especially super quick.

In the end, I was happy to know both FJs, and in this game, I moved from third to second place.  Not too shabby.  I'll take it.  :)  

• Love 4

Boo hiss. Did you get frustrated being out-buzzed by the others? I wish you would have lasted longer. 

Two things about Peter that surprised me: 1) that he didn't wager more in the Body category DD, and 2) that he didn't get Quasimodo. He was so smart otherwise. Oh, and I was also surprised he didn't get Minuteman missiles. I'm not even sure he recognized it when Alex said it.

Also, Peter reminded me of someone. A comedic actor I think.

I could have sworn that Paige said "GMC" instead of "GNC."

I totally heard and saw an M as in GMC then looked like she realized it should be GNC. I think she just misspoke. Or Alex asking for clarification signaled it wasn't GMC.

I totally heard and saw an M as in GMC then looked like she realized it should be GNC. I think she just misspoke. Or Alex asking for clarification signaled it wasn't GMC.

Our house heard GMC, and rewound it several times to verify. Paige was pretty snarky out of the gate, so we were a bit indignant about Alex asking for clarification, because he doesn't always. Some friends and I watched an episode where a woman gave a response but he misheard her because of her accent. The next person rang in "correctly" but basically repeated what she said while over-enunciating. We thought for sure it would be corrected after the commercial break, but it wasn't. That contestant was visibly enraged the rest of the show, and lost.

Good job, Andrea - it was fun watching you and I'm glad you went out strong on that FJ

Andrea, I wish you had won!  :(  Well, the money from the previous night was great compensation.  :)  How much do you get for second place?

I really really disliked Paige.  I didn't like her snark and attitude, especially with enunciating GNC.  She seems like she thinks she's better than anyone else. 

I told my husband last night that two people from one of my forums are on Jeopardy and he laughed and said "Your turn!"  Haha, believe me, I'm trying!

Tigershark, I so look forward to seeing you next week!

Biosynth, take the online test!  My family bugged me for years.  I am super shy and have anxiety issues, and I've never done any sort of bar trivia or quiz bowls or anything of the sort, so I always thought it would be an exercise in futility.  But after much cajoling from my sister and husband, I took it last January, got the email saying to be in Nashville, where I thought I totally blew my mock-up game.  Apparently, I didn't and I got the call to come to Culver City.

By the way, Peter and Paige (and Katie, too) are all super-nice.  Like me, Paige has a connection to Western New York, and we had a long talk after the day's taping.  Peter and I were both bumped from the Tuesday schedule of taping, so we were waiting patiently in the audience all day and then had to come back on Wednesday.  Katie and I have a lot of similar academic interests.  As Tigershark could tell you, when you are essentially sequestered with your fellow contestants, you do get to know them, and it is odd to see how differently they can come off to the audience.

I got $2,000 for second place.  I'm an obsessive Key & Peele fan, so I said to myself that if I didn't know the answer to FJ I was just going to fill in the "Who is..." with "Who is Hingle McCringleberry?"  Luckily, my French major skills came in handy for FJ.

• Love 7
I'm an obsessive Key & Peele fan, so I said to myself that if I didn't know the answer to FJ I was just going to fill in the "Who is..." with "Who is Hingle McCringleberry?"  Luckily, my French major skills came in handy for FJ.

Ah man. No offense, but now I wish you didn't know the answer. I'm a huge K&P fan, too.

• Love 3

Did.      Desiree.   Take.    A.    Xanax.      Or.    Something.      Before.   The.    Episode.

Was Desiree aware that there is a time limit for each Jeopardy round ?  Because she took her time and then she talked so slow when selecting the questions.

Paige was really getting the benefit of categories yesterday, and in FJ today (she's in the Navy, if she had missed that she wouldn't have heard the end of it).

Troy was really impressive -- and cruised to the runaway.  I liked the $500 wager on the musical theater DD -- and the banter with Alex about the true daily double option was funny.

• Love 5
(edited)

From what I understand from someone else in the contestant pool, Desiree was struggling with the bright lights on the stage and was not feeling well.

Before I went on the show, I studied Greek gods/goddesses because that topic is a weakness and it is a common category.  Looks like I missed it by a day, not that my cramming would have done much good.

(Since I admitted to anxiety problems in an previous post, when my name was called to appear on Monday's show, one of my first thoughts was "Where is my Xanax?!?")  

Edited by theajw
(edited)

But after much cajoling from my sister and husband, I took it last January, got the email saying to be in Nashville, where I thought I totally blew my mock-up game.  Apparently, I didn't and I got the call to come to Culver City.

Funny, I also thought I blew up my mock game, except for the part where I was the only one who knew that the Wright Brothers were from Dayton.  Never in a million years did I ever think I would get the call.  The other reason was that half of the people at the audition were lawyers, and guess what my job is.  I actually recognized another person from my mock game in a recent episode.  (She was up against Julia, so it didn't end well for her.)

Yeah, you totally bond with the other contestants in the pool for the week.  There was one other contestant in particular that if she didn't live on the other side of the country, we probably would have been BFFs.

Edited by Tigershark
  • Love 2

Troy reminds me of a nerdy Luke Bryan. Paige and the other lady on tonight were painful to watch, they had such dull, flat affects. And yes, Paige totally said "GMC" instead of "GNC" on the previous night's show.

Andrea, great games, you should be very proud!

• Love 3
From what I understand from someone else in the contestant pool, Desiree was struggling with the bright lights on the stage and was not feeling well.

Well, now I feel bad for her. She was irking me as well, but now that I know she wasn't feeling well, I can't make fun of her.

I enjoyed Troy's play. He was enjoyable to watch.

I mean this in a flattering and funny way. Troy would be an 8 in real life, a 9 for Jeopardy! Rowr. The brains and trivia knowledge add to his appeal. I like him. Glad to see GMC go. Sorry, she just seemed so stuck up. I'm a lawyer too. She reminded me of a lot of some classmates. Awkward and unapproachable.

FJ was really obvious. A government musical ensemble that's very well known. Was GMC showing off calling it the President's Own? I'd never heard it called that.

• Love 3

Then I kept thinking about the production crew telling us about Eddie Timanus who seemed to have no problem with the buzzer even though he couldn't see the light!

The production people still talk about Eddie? It's a beautiful thing. If I could meet any J champ of my choosing, I think I'd pass on Ken, Roger and whats-his-name and pick Eddie every time. And you, of course! The number of people out there who can lay claim to being a Jeopardy! champion is very small, number of days be damned. Good job.

Because my name wasn't called on the first day's taping, I heard the production crew's talk twice on Tuesday and Wednesday, and yes, Eddie was mentioned, alongside Ken, Brad, Roger, et al.  

I didn't get to talk to Troy much, but I remember how good he was at rehearsals, so I was secretly thinking,, "I hope I don't have to face him."  (And yes, he is nice on the eyes.)   I think I got to know the Tuesday group a little better because I was there all day and lunched with the folks on the Thursday and Friday shows.  I left right after my second show mostly because my husband, who traveled with me three weeks after hip surgery, was in a terrible amount of pain and I wanted to get him back to the hotel in Culver City.  

Thank you all for your kind words, by the way.  :)

• Love 1

The production people still talk about Eddie?

Yup, they still are.  I remember when Eddie was originally on.  I was in college and my college newspaper ran a big article about him because he was an alum.

• Love 1
I'm an obsessive Key & Peele fan, so I said to myself that if I didn't know the answer to FJ I was just going to fill in the "Who is..." with "Who is Hingle McCringleberry?"  Luckily, my French major skills came in handy for FJ.

Hahaha! It's good that you knew the answer and all, but that would've been priceless. I wouldn't ever go on Jeopardy even if given the chance, but the opportunity to do something like that would really tempt me. The show has been preempted in my neck of the woods for World Cup goings on, so I'm late in adding my congratulations, but you were an awesome contestant, Andrea.

Troy is kind of a dreamboat, but he seemed the slightest bit arrogant to me. He got a little too comfortable, too quickly.

(edited)

That was a very odd game -- all the wrong answers in the Jeopardy round, and yet another easy FJ (I thought it was easy, I yelled 'GM' at the TV almost immediately).  

Loved Angie's game attitude -- she was playing to win, and it paid off with her DD wager, but she guessed wrong in FJ (though she wagered to win).

Congrats to Bryan on the come from behind victory, considering he was in negative numbers at the start of DJ.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1