Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: The Daily Double

• Start Topic

Wow! Congratulations Jennifer! Not only did you win, but you beat some stiff competition. The eleventh hour Daily Double was so exciting.

Also, your curls looked fab. 

• Love 3

Thanks everyone.

Wow! Congratulations Jennifer! Not only did you win, but you beat some stiff competition. The eleventh hour Daily Double was so exciting.

Not for me it wasn't.  That freaked me out.  I don't think I realized that I was actually in the lead until that point.

It won't air here for another 2 hours.  Right now, I'm policing my Facebook page so my east coast friends don't post spoilers.  

• Love 1

On a total shallow note, I wanted the hot blonde doppelgänger Kristen Bell to win. I wish she had bet (a lot) more & won. She is so smart & pretty. A great combination. Shallow! That's how I roll. LOL!!

Way to go, Jennifer! Hope this is the start of a long run.

I don't know this for sure, but I'm willing to bet that the head of the FCC actually said, "My day is going to suck tomorrow." And if Bart Simpson can say "suck" then I think Jeopardy can say it. 

• Love 1

Whew! What a nail biter! Congratulations, Jennifer!!!!

I don't know this for sure, but I'm willing to bet that the head of the FCC actually said, "My day is going to suck tomorrow." And if Bart Simpson can say "suck" then I think Jeopardy can say it.

I think he could have said "My day is going to be f***ed tomorrow."

I was wondering about one of the "KN" clues. The only thing I could think of was knot hole, but I wasn't confident because of how the clue was worded. "This part of a baseball field…" Was/Is a part of a baseball field called "knot hole?"

• Love 1

Congratulations, Jennifer!  I hope you have a nice long run and win lots of money.  You're a really strong contestant.  I'm sure you were sweating bullets when Chris got the DD on the last clue, but then I'm sure that changed to a sigh of relief when he chose to not bet enough to overtake you. I'm not entirely sure what that was all about, but it worked out for you, and I am looking forward to watching you play tomorrow.  

(edited)

I was sweating bullets on that Daily Double.  And when the Final Jeopardy category was announced, because I had zero idea where they were going to go with that category.  I'm glad that I like Quentin Tarantino movies and that a couple of years ago my school played in the Orange Bowl.  One of my friends made fun of the fact that I was out buzzed on the Chemical Weapons clue because I used to be a Chemical Weapons Analyst.

I knew I had won before Alex finished reading the clue.  I took Media Law in law school, and we talked about the FCC extensively, and the Janet Jackson incident in particular. 

Edited by Tigershark
  • Love 1

TS/Jennifer, you're the perfect person to ask. What would happen if you had posted here or went around saying you won today? Any penalties or backlash?

Two things I knew from childhood! I was young when Wounded Knee took place, but I'll never forget it. Read "Dandelion Wine" in high school English; the teacher was a big Ray Bradbury fan who made us pick that book apart for weeks! Another thing I'll never forget.

This has jumped out at me. You were alive when Wounded Knee took place in 1890? Wow!

• Love 2

Tigershark/ Jennifer, congratulations on the win! Wow! Two Jeopardy Champions here at PTV!

It was an exciting game to watch, as the competition was tough, but thoroughly enjoyable viewing as a spectator.

I look forward to watching Jeopardy! tonight, and I wish you continued success.

I'll repeat everyone's congratulations here.  Well done, Jennifer!  :)  You seemed a little nervous at the start but you really hit your stride later on.  :)  Good job!

And was Chris' name really Culo? 

(edited)

Aren't we a clever bunch at PTV? Two Jeopardy Champions among the posters! And thank you Tigershark and theajw. "Knowing" someone on the show made it so much more fun (and nerve wracking) to watch. Yay, Jennifer!

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well done Tigershark!

I particularly enjoyed your enthusiastic buzzer pressing.  Watching the game while "knowing" one of the contestants adds a whole new level of suspense.  If you weren't there I would've loved to have seen Chris win, I loved his chat story about the Secret Service.

I was wondering about one of the "KN" clues. The only thing I could think of was knot hole, but I wasn't confident because of how the clue was worded. "This part of a baseball field…" Was/Is a part of a baseball field called "knot hole?"

Ditto, another example of clue worded badly.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 2

Congratulations Tigershark/Jennifer! You must have wanted to burst all this time, already knowing that you won, and that you won a ton of money.

They really meant "Econ 101," because if I can answer an economics question, then it's super basic, but I think I got all of them. I also loved the rhyming potpourri category.

Corner Gas, is the only reason I knew that Grey Cup question, but I knew it!

(edited)

As much as I appreciate when a boardie tells us their episode is going to air, it really stresses me out! It's amazing how hard I root for people I don't even know IRL. 

Anyway, congrats on the win. I didn't exhale until your FJ wager was revealed (considering some of the boneheaded wagering we've seen lately).

Edited by teebax
  • Love 1

Thanks.  When I watch this episode, I think I may make a drinking game out of it.  Take a drink every time I am taking a shot in the dark guess.  If I play this game, I probably will be passed out by the end of the Jeopardy round.

• Love 3

Major brain freeze there on "biped", you just got in under the wire! Hard to believe the Black Hole of Calcutta was a TS, I thought that was pretty famous. I knew immediately the FJ answer was Saudi Arabia, also a bit surprised nobody got that. Well done, however. Keep it up!

• Love 1
(edited)

Yay, Tigershark!! I was yelling that DJ answer you got out at the last second at the screen, trying to help you out. I actually guessed right on FJ, thinking it should be a Muslim country for brothers to spread out over so many decades. Oh, and I was also surprised that the Black Hole of Calcutta was a TS--I always hear that phrase as said by the mayor's daughter in The Music Man, "...The Black Hole of Calcutta?!? Ye gods!!"

I not only know what Madame Alexander dolls are, I actually had a bride one as a kid. Not knowing how collectible they are, I sold it at a garage sale in 1985 when I was 19. I had no idea what price to put on it, so I gave it a $3 label. A woman came up to me and asked if it was 3 or 30 dollars, and after mentally kicking myself, I was honest and said 3. "Sold!!!"

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

Congrats again, Jennifer!  I was a little worried during the first round but you pulled the win out against a couple of pretty good players.

For FJ, I didn't think the answer was a European country but didn't go to the Middle East either; I went to Asia and also chose Thailand,

I too was surprised that the Black Hole of Calcutta was a TS.  Another TS  that I thought was easy.was "waive".

Jennifer is easy on the eyes.

(edited)

When I saw the category, I considered wagering nothing.  That's how not confident I was in that category.  But then I realized if I get it right and I loose because I didn't wager enough, I would not be able to forgive myself.  I knew it had to be a monarchy of some sort and the only monarchies I could think of were Spain, UK, Monaco, and Sweden, and I knew 100% the first three were wrong and that the fourth one was probably wrong, too.  Alana had the same idea- pick a random monarchy and hope it's right.

If ever there was a moment where I wanted to say "Suck it Trebek" it was this episode.  In our little chat with Alex, he told us that he thought FJ was easy and that he suggested it.  Thanks.  That's exactly what we all want to hear after missing FJ.  That you think it's easy.  I'm just going to remember that I had no problems coming up with both correct responses to the FJ in BotD that both Brad and Ken missed. 

Edited by Tigershark
  • Love 6

I knew that FJ had to be a non European monarchy or dictatorship. I also knew the Saudi monarchy had bounced around a couple of brothers and went with that, although I would not have guessed there has not been a generational change since 1953.

• Love 1

Whew again! Congratulations, Jennifer. Alana was a tough competitor. I always wonder, though, when someone is so strong at the beginning but then isn't in the second half, is that because of buzzer issues? I know you were being out-buzzed a lot, so did you get in the swing of it after a while?

I guessed Denmark for FJ. In hindsight, Saudi Arabia does seem easy. I did briefly consider it, but for some reason I thought a father was in the middle of it. 

Count me as another who was surprised that Calcutta was a TS. 

I wondered about Jesse's answer of obsessive fan being accepted for STAN. I didn't know the term, but since it's a combo of stalker and fan, I would think the answer would be like Alex said, a stalker fan. I understand that 'obsessive fan' is basically the same thing, but it still bothered me a bit.

Normally I would head straight for the movie category, but I had the feeling I would have a hard time coming up with the two male leads for the movie. Not that I didn't know them -- I knew them all -- but it can be so hard to bring the name to mind.

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay, upon watching I realized I wasn't guessing nearly as much as I thought.  The Channing Tatum question was a guess.  Hanoi was a guess- I knew it was in North Vietnam, and it seemed like a decent guess.  Bridgitte Bardot question was a complete shot in the dark that I was shocked was correct.  "Born on the Fourth of July" was a bit of a guess.  In hindsight, I should have wagered more, but I didn't feel all that confident in that category.  I would never have gone that Cheshire Cats category, except for the fact that I realized I was ahead decided to pick the lower valued categories to keep the other players from over taking me.

I'm so glad I read Summer of My German Soldier when I was in middle school.

On another random note, I went to a Hillary Clinton book signing this morning and told her she should watch Jeopardy tonight.  In hindsight, maybe it wasn't the best idea to tell a former Secretary of State to watch you botch a foreign leaders question.

Edited by Tigershark
  • Love 5

During the orientation, the contestant coordinators specifically pointed out that if it is near the end of the round and you are behind pick the higher valued clues so you can catch up.  They tell you this because they want a good game.  They fail to mention the reverse of this strategy.  If you are in the lead, pick the lower value clues so that it makes it harder for people to catch up.  I figured there wasn't much time left and I had a slim lead, so I was better off going for lower valued clues.

Oh, I see...to eat up clock time.  I wonder if anyone ever purposely slows down when they have a lead, similar to the way a basketball team slows down their play when they have the lead: "Let's see...I wonder what category I should choose now...Hmmmmm...No, I don't like that one....No, that one's too hard...".

I just wanted to say that when I was a kid I was never very interested in dolls (I had a million stuffed animals, though), but I did have a Madame Alexander doll which I really loved. I still have her 40 years later. They are really well made.

• Love 1

I knew that FJ had to be a non European monarchy or dictatorship. I also knew the Saudi monarchy had bounced around a couple of brothers and went with that, although I would not have guessed there has not been a generational change since 1953.

My thinking on Saudi Arabia was similar to yours. I knew there were at least a couple of brothers and went with it fairly confident that there were at least 3 brothers. I wouldn't have been able to give you the exact number (5) but I was pretty sure of my answer.

Congrats again to Tigershark! I hope you get a game where you get in a groove and roll over your opponents handily. After 2 wins, for me at least, a runaway would be a nice extra feather in the cap. Although with the manic shooting schedule they maintain you probably don't have time to even worry about something like that until the day's episodes are done and you have time to decompress for a night. If you get that far :) Do they always shoot 5 episodes a day that are scheduled for a Monday-Friday run at some future time?

Congrats again, Jennifer!  :)  And suck it Trebek!  I'm sure the answer is so very easy when you have it written on a card for you to stare at whilst others struggle.  Sheesh.

I didn't get FJ.  I was thinking the answer was somewhere up in Northern Europe.  Like Sweden or Finland. 

Oh, and Jennifer, I knew what you were talking about with Madame Alexander.  I have a Juliet Madame Alexander. She's quite old and never played with.  She's in perfect condition and in her original box.  :)  I'm not sure when my mom got her, but I still have her tucked away.

I always hear that phrase as said by the mayor's daughter in The Music Man, "...The Black Hole of Calcutta?!? Ye gods!!"

Watch your phraseology, young woman!

Good game, Jennifer.  When you won, I clapped so loudly, I scared my cats.

• Love 1

I have a Madame Alexander doll packed away somewhere. It was my "you aren't allowed to play with this; it's only for display" doll when I was a kid. As such, except for being a bit dusty, it was in perfect condition when I packed it up.

(edited)

Way to go TigerShark!!!!

FJ was really hard!

I guess Vatican City -- the Catholic church often refers to 'brother priests'.  Unfortunately there have been 7 Popes in that time frame.   (My other guess was that Castro actually had been ruled by quadruplette Fidel Castros and then Raul.)

Edited by MortysCleaningLady