Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: It's A Trap

Philip remains a threat as long as his whereabouts are unknown, but Annalise tries to get the team to stop panicking and focus on staying one step ahead of him. Meanwhile, Laurel helps Wes investigate the circumstances of his mother's death.

Yeah, Wes and Laurel K-I-S-S-I-N-G in a car. I don't care if it is a rebound. Anything to get Laurel away from Frank. Having her care about Wes is a nice start. Not now, but eventually they can turn to each other. 

Seriously, I feel for Annalise with her five "children." They are all needy pieces of work. However, she had hot sex with Nate so it is all good for her. 

Connor and Oliver are so sexy and adorable. I like Michaela with Caleb also. 

Poor Asher, but really he could do better than Bonnie.

• Love 7

This was the first episode in which I actually believed Laurel's crying is genuine.

I have liked her since the beginning, but even more so in this episode.

I watched the episode twice, and I forgot to pay attention the second time - did she kiss Wes AFTER finding the documentation saying he was a suspect? Or before?
Either way, I guess it kind of supports her point of going for people just like her father.

Having said that, I was thoroughly annoyed that they kissed. I absolutely don't want to see them go there.

22-yo Wes bores me, but 12-yo Christophe is absolutely fascinating. That last scene with him standing over dying Rose with a knife gave me chills. I wonder if we can take that as fact - as in, all flashbacks that they show us actually happened - or if it is just describing what Laurel imagined happening.

Although, I guess we have to take the whole "Christophe go to bed right now" scene for fact as well, since it wasn't shown as anybody's memory either.

I'm looking forward to hearing the full story of why Frank killed Lila. Hopefully Laurel stops avoiding him next episode and we get at least that mystery solved.

Catherine was kind of creepy too, but I feel like they need to wrap that storyline up - or at least, the "who killed the parents" part of it - very soon. I don't want it to stretch into the season finale; I'd rather that be about Rose. Imagine if they all find out Wes killed his mother.

Still hoping Eve will make an appearance.

• Love 2

And the killer was...Admiral Ackbar! 

The flashback of little Wes with his moms blood all over him was down right creepy. What the hell is going on there? Are they going to go with the "Wes is a psycho" angle? Because I always figured that Laurel would turn out to be the murderous one. But it looks like she might be so cold after all. Or they'll both go on a creepy crime spree together. 

Connor and Oliver are just the best. Clearly they cant leave the show, but moving across the country would probably be for the best. I mean, even leaving out the possible murders, Connor is never going to graduate when he is constantly dealing with all this murder stuff. 

Poor Annalise and her 5 needy kids. 

Wow that was one hell of an ending. I don't think Wes killed his mom. I think they showed us the "go to bed" scene to show him going to another room so that it would make sense that he found his mom like that. I think Annalise killed her. Hence the reason she was running away from the scene. If she hadn't done it she would have called someone to help Christophe or report that she had killed herself. What is driving me crazy is the baby situation. The way she talked to Bonnie tonight about having kids confused the hell out of me. I want to know what happened to her baby. Wes and Laurel is icky and should never EVER happen again. When Frank was about to tell Laurel what happened and the phone rang I yelled at my t.v. I love Oliver so much he is just precious. I'm sad that Bonnie turned Ash down. At this point I am no longer interested at all about the hapstalls and am ready to be done with that story. There is plenty going on with Anna, Wes, Laurel and his mom to keep the show going. 

• Love 2

What is driving me crazy is the baby situation. The way she talked to Bonnie tonight about having kids confused the hell out of me.

Totally confused me, totally. Bonnie saw her pregnant, Sam, WTH? It was as if she was never pregnant with her own child the way she was talking tonight. 

It was as if she was talking to someone, (Bonnie)  who didn't know she was pregnant, saw her pregnant, even suggested to her at one point how to lay down  on her side to lessen her discomfort.

Did something so traumatic occur that she blocked it all out, including the hallucinations she has recently experienced?

I too want Laurel and Frank to continue their conversation, so I can find out just how deep his relationship is with Anna.

Edited by represent
  • Love 1

Wow that was one hell of an ending. I don't think Wes killed his mom. I think they showed us the "go to bed" scene to show him going to another room so that it would make sense that he found his mom like that. I think Annalise killed her. Hence the reason she was running away from the scene. If she hadn't done it she would have called someone to help Christophe or report that she had killed herself. What is driving me crazy is the baby situation. The way she talked to Bonnie tonight about having kids confused the hell out of me. I want to know what happened to her baby. Wes and Laurel is icky and should never EVER happen again. When Frank was about to tell Laurel what happened and the phone rang I yelled at my t.v. I love Oliver so much he is just precious. I'm sad that Bonnie turned Ash down. At this point I am no longer interested at all about the hapstalls and am ready to be done with that story. There is plenty going on with Anna, Wes, Laurel and his mom to keep the show going. 

Christophe is wearing different clothes in the go-to-bed scene and the killing scene, though. And we have been told that he came home from school and found his mom almost-dead on the floor, so it wouldn't really match with when Annalise came, which was apparently around Christophe's bedtime. I didn't think Annalise was really "running" away from the scene.

She's talked that way about having kids before, which makes the mystery baby so much more interesting, imo. I want to know what happened with that just as much as I want to know what happened to Rose. I don't much care about the Hapstalls anymore. 

• Love 2

There was A LOT going on in this episode. And I'm stunned to say that I was actually able to follow all of it. Amazing what watching this show has conditioned me to accept.

Adam Arkin - yay! Playing a racist - booo!!!!

Viola Davis looked AMAZING in that scene where Annalise was having dinner with Nate.

Frank and Laurel don't do much for me, but I liked their scene about Lila's murder.

Um, Wes & Laurel were kinda hot in that kissing scene.

I found myself strangely moved by that Caleb/Catherine jail scene. Why do I think Catherine is working with Phillip to send the emails and stalk Annalise & Co.

• Love 4

You know, this show messes me up. Everytime. Some scene occurs, and the actors do their thing, and I cry...Legit tears. Why you do this to me, show?

Also, this show is brilliant at making me go "OMG, NO! HOLY SHIT!  OMG!!!! I love this about this show. Seriously!!

ETA: I hope that people don't slam Annalise for not wanting to have kids. I get that society has made it the norm (must have kids.) But there are many of us, who have no need. Many of us who have no interest or desire to have kids. Let's hope she isn't unfairly vilified for simply knowing what she wants......

I say this, because in this episode, she seemed very hesitant to have the kid, and just seemed offput by the whole situation......

• Love 9

I don't think Wes killed his mom. I think he simply removed the knife, which is something I can see a child doing.

I thought Annalise's comment on not having children was ambiguous. I thought she was saying she never wanted or contemplated children until she was Bonnie's age. Regardless, Wes and her child were connected in her hallucination, so I'm guessing she lost her child due to something case-related.

It's so confusing to see Sam so happy and supportive.

I feel they're retconning Frank. We saw him kill Lila in a calm and cold manner. Now he did it reluctantly because he was forced.

• Love 2

You know, this show messes me up. Everytime. Some scene occurs, and the actors do their thing, and I cry...Legit tears. Why you do this to me, show?

Also, this show is brilliant at making me go "OMG, NO! HOLY SHIT!  OMG!!!! I love this about this show. Seriously!!.

Exactly! I just love this show and and I probably shouldn't because it is batshit crazy, but it is the best kind of batshit crazy that makes me just giggle with weird glee at every twist or OMG moment.  And I think the guppies for the most part are getting better and better in their roles (I do not include Wes in this assessment).

I loved at the beginning when Conner was trying to guilt Annalise into helping them on the Phillip video by saying maybe he's the reason that she lived after the shooting....the look she shot him (a combination of "that's how you are going to play this/Child please") was fantastic and had me giggling moments in.

Of course the phone rings after the Frank confession but before he could explain and Laurel walks out.  This one smacked as a plot contrivance to keep information from being exchanged, so I didn't love that part so much.

I giggled again when Wes was telling Laurel she's not a bad person, just Annalise, Frank and her father are bad, but not her.....of course not him, how could they could be considered bad people. hahahahahahahaha!!!

I'm going to assume Wes didn't kill his mother, just picked up the knife.  I'm also assuming Annalise didn't either, but that she thought Wes did (and felt responsible) so she went to great lengths to cover it up as a suicide and to get Wes into foster care as a victim rather than have him be thought of as a killer. 

And for those old enough to remember Chicago Hope, I loved that Roxanne Hart and Adam Arkin played the parents of the guy on trial in Ohio....they were married (then divorced) on that show back in the 90s...fun recasting here, I assume we'll see more of them.

• Love 2

I don't think Wes killed his mom. I think he simply removed the knife, which is something I can see a child doing.

I  agree.  I don't think Wes killed his mother either.  He was just standing over her with the knife, a staple of murder mysteries and soap operas.

In the preview he says, "All I remember is I was " [somewhere]  but it's a red herring that he was holding the knife.  I love the kid who plays him -- his eyes and expression look JUST like Wes's.  Amazing.

I realize that most here seem to dislike Wes a lot, but I saw an interview with Alfred Enoch at HuffPo, and I had never realized that he's British !

He's totally unlike his character -- very animated, spontaneous, laughs a lot, has a quick mind with fast takes.

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/aflred-enoch-how-to-get-away-with-murder-interview/56a7bcac6f753aecc300140e

Edited by pitchy
  • Love 6

Of course, knowing this show, now that we've all decided that it is a red herring and that Wes didn't kill his mother, it will turn out that the red herring was a red herring and Wes actually did do it:)

• Love 6

I feel they're retconning Frank. We saw him kill Lila in a calm and cold manner. Now he did it reluctantly because he was forced.

I agree with both of these statements. Wes removed the knife thinking that he was helping his mother. Annalise probably found him standing over the body with the knife and he also likely witnessed something that would have put him in danger so she coached him to give a story to protect himself. He was so traumatized that he doesn't remember what happened.

The Frank recon is obvious. Now they are trying to sell Frank as conflicted and blackmailed into murdering Lila so he is more sympathetic.

Edited by SimoneS

I realize that most here seem to dislike Wes a lot, but I saw an interview with Alfred Enoch at HuffPo, and I had never realized that he's British !

He's totally unlike his character -- very animated, spontaneous, laughs a lot, has a quick mind with fast takes.

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/aflred-enoch-how-to-get-away-with-murder-interview/56a7bcac6f753aecc300140e

I had no idea that Alfred Enoch was British. He really is very different. He needs to do more publicity. As someone who enjoys Wes, thanks for sharing.

• Love 2

I had no idea that Alfred Enoch was British.

I didn't recognize him from the Harry Potter movies when I read he was cast, but once it was noted he was in them I knew he was British because JK Rowlings insisted on British actors for those movies.

Now they are trying to sell Frank as the conflicted and blackmailed into murdering Lila so he is more sympathetic.

But we do know he didn't do it of his own motive, he was told by someone to do it, we as far as I know are to think that it was Sam telling him he owed him and who knows what Sam had over him.  I'm not sure how to condemn him any more than, oh, say, Wes killing Sam, or Bonnie killing Rebecca or Asher killing the prosecutor or all of them for covering up everything.

I am just going to laugh and laugh and laugh, if by the end of the series, the only person not to actually murder someone is Annalise!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 7

the look she shot him (a combination of "that's how you are going to play this/Child please") was fantastic and had me giggling moments in.

This!  Loved it! VD can deliver (or not deliver) a facial expression like few others can. 

• Love 5
I had no idea that Alfred Enoch was British. He really is very different. He needs to do more publicity. As someone who enjoys Wes, thanks for sharing.

I didn't recognize him from the Harry Potter movies when I read he was cast, but once it was noted he was in them I knew he was British because JK Rowlings insisted on British actors for those movies.

I actually do remember him from the Harry Potter movies - he played the character of Dean Thomas (and was good!), but due to his early growth spurt and the lack of height amongst the rest of the cast, he was kinda waylaid in the later movies..too bad. But I was thrilled to see him in this movie, and think he's pretty good!

I actually do remember him from the Harry Potter movies - he played the character of Dean Thomas (and was good!), but due to his early growth spurt and the lack of height amongst the rest of the cast, he was kinda waylaid in the later movies..too bad. But I was thrilled to see him in this movie, and think he's pretty good!

Delurking to say that I agree.  Actually, he's why I started watching the show.  Speaking of the height differences, the Dumbledore's Army photo from Order of the Phoenix is hilarious:

NXScGvx.jpg

Putting him at the end there really accentuates how much taller he is than the rest of them.  They should have put him in the back, by the twins.  Makes me chuckle.

About the show -- I'm tired of everyone blaming Annalise, yet running to her when something goes wrong.  That got old half a dozen episodes ago.

Back to lurking.

• Love 2

I love this show; everytime I think I have something figured out they turn it on it's head. I had sorta seen Laurel/Wes coming, but it didn't bother me at all (unless they turn it into a love traingle with Frank). It's weird - in the beginning I didn't much care for Laurel, but she's shot right up to the top of the list for me with this arc. I really bought her sadness, frustration and anger when she spoke Spanish in the car.

I love Wes too (and not just for shallow reasons, though I do think he's the prettiest of the cast. Especially with the gruff on his face. Normally I'm not into baby beards, but it works for him). If the show looses the Hapstalls and only focuses on the Rose-mystery, I'll be one happy camper.

I'm going to assume Wes didn't kill his mother, just picked up the knife.  I'm also assuming Annalise didn't either, but that she thought Wes did (and felt responsible) so she went to great lengths to cover it up as a suicide and to get Wes into foster care as a victim rather than have him be thought of as a killer. 

On one hand it'll be really interesting (and  chilling) if Annalise was protecting Christophe for his mother's sake, even if she believed he was her murderer. On the other, her guilt would make way more sense, if she thinks Adam Arkin's character had something to do with it. That why I think the last scene was a fake out - we'll spend the next episode wondering whether Wes is a sociopath, and then another flashback will show us (some of) what really happened.

My guess is that this season will end with the Hapstalls and next season will be full on Rose. You don't hire Adam Arkin for a one off.

• Love 4

My guess is that this season will end with the Hapstalls and next season will be full on Rose. You don't hire Adam Arkin for a one off.

I agree that we will see more of Adam Arkin. He is such a talented actor. I am looking forward to his performances. I wouldn't be surprised if turns out that Wes is related to the wealthy family who murdered his mother. 

I also agree about Laurel. I like her, but thought she was a bit bland. She has really come into her own this season which is why I want her away from Frank. He is the only character on the show that I actively dislike.  I can see Laurel being the strength in a relationship with Wes. I think that they would complement each other perfectly.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

If Anna really thinks that Wes killed his mom, it means that there is another murderer out there that is unaccounted for.  Or it really was a suicide. And the title of the show is HTGAWM, not HTGAWSuicide so I am banking on a murder.

I think Wes just pulled out the knife to help his mom and Anna knows this.  She might or might not know who really committed the murder.

I kept wondering if Wes is the baby of Rose and one of the Mahoneys (father or son).  He looks like he could be mixed race.

I like Adam Arkin and while it is painful to see anyone play a racist, he did it so well in SOA that it was fun to see him reprise such a role here.

• Love 2

IA with Wes pulling the knife out of his mom. And I think it's possible no one knows who actually killed her but Anna thinks it was Wes.

Alfie is darling. Unfortunately, there is none of him in Wes.

Not understanding why Michaela was sleeping with Caleb again after he called her a whore.

Heavens no to laurel and Wes. I knew I wouldn't like them and tonight confirmed it. No chemistry, both bland, and they're both so self-righteous they would be unbearable together as they try to take down Annalise. Their thinking is: We're not bad people! It's all Annalise's fault! So what you shot her! We're not killers like them!

I can't. I wish they had gone the sociopath route with Laurel I was hoping they were going down. I still don't buy her tears.

I hope the focus moves off of helping Wes after this mom mystery is wrapped up and we get more screen time for Michaela and Conner at the beginning of next season.

Edited by dirtypop90
  • Love 1

If Anna really thinks that Wes killed his mom, it means that there is another murderer out there that is unaccounted for.  Or it really was a suicide. And the title of the show is HTGAWM, not HTGAWSuicide so I am banking on a murder.

I think Wes just pulled out the knife to help his mom and Anna knows this.  She might or might not know who really committed the murder.

I kept wondering if Wes is the baby of Rose and one of the Mahoneys (father or son).  He looks like he could be mixed race.

I like Adam Arkin and while it is painful to see anyone play a racist, he did it so well in SOA that it was fun to see him reprise such a role here.

I posted an article of an interview with Pete Nowalk in the spoilers/spec thread that addresses the issue of whether Rose's death is a murder or suicide, if you're curious.

Alfred Enoch is mixed race, so I could easily buy his character being mixed race also, but didn't Wes tell Rebecca at one point that he was born in Haiti? And his mom brought him to the US when he was very young?

Annaliese. I loved her comment about how having kids as the worst thing going on in her life right now. When does a woman get to say something like that on a mainstream television series? Never. The scene between Nate and her felt like a goodbye scene. I honestly think that Billy Brown is so marginalised on the show that I wouldn't mind him being let go. He should move on from Annaliese, move to a different city or something. He's kind of the only character on the show who really has a chance to get away from her, but he is not taking the bait.

I didn't get the sense that it was a goodbye scene, but I agree that Nate needs to leave!

I have never really been a fan of his character, and half the time he doesn't really seem to serve any purpose to the plot, so I might be biased against him, but he really seems to just be there for the sake of being there. The only thing tying Nate to that city is his job, which isn't even a very enjoyable one anymore. He could move somewhere else pretty easily, but even if he doesn't move, for goodness sake, stay away from Annalise!

Two other comments:

-In the "go to bed right now" scene, I thought young Christophe had a bit of an accent when talking to his mother - did anyone else notice this? He didn't have an accent in the police interview scene. I have a friend who doesn't really speak with an accent when talking to native English speakers, but automatically adopts a heavy Indian accent when speaking with her family, even if they're speaking English, so it could be the same with Christophe, but it had to have been a deliberate choice.

-Does anyone know what Laurel said in Spanish in her car?

I am continuing to lose interest in this show.  Sadly, the only "mystery" I find myself truly caring about is that I want to know what happened to Annalise's baby.  Maybe she went into labour while in Ohio, and there were complications, and the baby died.  If so, I think Sam would have blamed her a lot more, since he clearly didn't think it was a good idea for her to go to Ohio.  Can someone remind me, last season I am fairly certain that Annalise was talking about Sam and telling someone that "we thought about trying for a baby".  What was the context again?  Seems in retrospect to be an odd statement.  It made it sound like they had never wanted kids but then decided to try.  Also doesn't sound like a statement that would have been made by someone who was 9 months pregnant and then lost a baby.  Clearly they must have later decided to make Annalise pregnant after Season 1 was in the can.

Still dislike Wes more than ever.  Couldn't give a crap about who Laurel kisses.

Someone help me with his... Catherine knows that she didn't shoot Annalise.  Why is she admitting in court and to Caleb that she did?  Is it because she thinks that Phillip shot her?  It's the only explanation that makes remote sense to me.  

I am not sure if they are nesscarily retconning Frank. Didn't we see in the Season 1 reveal that Sam called him on a payphone and demanded that frank kill Lylia? I agree he didn't seem too remorseful while he was doing it, but we could learn that Sam was holding something over Frank that would explain his blackmail comment.

I thought this episode worked better having Wes and Laurel separately from the rest of the group, it allowed each storyline to breath more. I kind of feel conflicted about where they are going though. I mean teasing that Wes might have killed his Mom upon everything else is just so much, even though I do find the storyline interesting. And with the Philip/Hapstall case, they have lied so many times it has gotten so deep and hard to keep track of.  I actually felt bad for Caleb in this episode with how easily he was misled. It seems like it will stay this way for the last few episodes of the season, but I hope they find a way to make the show less dark next season.

• Love 1

I really enjoy how Younger Frank looks so dorky compared to Current Frank-- the actor looks positively doe eyed in the flashbacks, and other than the hair, I'm not sure exactly what they're doing to create this effect, but good on everyone for doing it.

Meanwhile, Younger Bonnie is shot through a soft filter or something, but she's still depressed and nearly mute most of the time, compared to her sharp, severe, rigid current day look-- it gives the sense of her personality staying the same even as her looks changed a lot.

I love how corrupt this show says everybody is. It's not just Annalise and her minions, it's the entire system, from the very first episode. Just full of lies and rule-breaking and general conniving. Winning is the only ethic.

At this point, there is such a convoluted web of bullshit that even if they all decided to confess, it might not even be believed. I mean, it's such a clusterfuck, if they told their own versions it would be impossible to figure out what the hell was truth vs obfuscation vs crazybrains distortion. At some point, people do crack, and any or all of these people seem like perfect candidates for total breakdowns due to stress.

And if they did, as Bonnie suggested, all go to jail? The show set in prison with this group as the inmates? That would be something else. OITNB + HTGAWM = ????

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 6

And for those old enough to remember Chicago Hope, I loved that Roxanne Hart and Adam Arkin played the parents of the guy on trial in Ohio....they were married (then divorced) on that show back in the 90s...fun recasting here, I assume we'll

I was hoping someone else besides me noticed that--that was my fave show of all time.....i thought and hope it was fun recasting:)

And for those old enough to remember Chicago Hope, I loved that Roxanne Hart and Adam Arkin played the parents of the guy on trial in Ohio....they were married (then divorced) on that show back in the 90s...fun recasting here, I assume we'll see more of them.

I was hoping someone else besides me noticed that--that was my fave show of all time.....i thought and hope it was fun recasting:)

Edited by nlkm9

I was really startled when I first heard him in the interview and then even more so when he moved around and responded so quickly and with such a great sense of humor.  So, he is really playing against his own type there.

I've always liked Wes too, actually, and figured he was written to be morose,  overcautious and removed, but I also did think maybe they got an actor who was somewhat limited who could only play 'passive'....  Apparently not.  :-)

• Love 1

Someone help me with his... Catherine knows that she didn't shoot Annalise.  Why is she admitting in court and to Caleb that she did?  Is it because she thinks that Phillip shot her?  It's the only explanation that makes remote sense to me.  

I thought she thought she'd get less time if she admitted to shooting her, but claimed Phillip forced her to, and then provided evidence against Phillip for killing her parents. But that's inconsistent to what they showed last night, so I must have been wrong there. Maybe she can't remember and thinks she really did it? 

I would bet good money its Nate that is behind all of those videos and he is the one who is really blackmailing them. He was at the mansion when Annalise was shot and I think he just setup a camera just outside her house or had someone do it and taped them being together. He is looking for payback because she framed him for murder and basically ruined his life. Too much of a coincidence to me. I think the Keating baby just died of SIDS or something. I don't think Wes killed his mother.

• Love 2

I would bet good money its Nate that is behind all of those videos and he is the one who is really blackmailing them. He was at the mansion when Annalise was shot and I think he just setup a camera just outside her house or had someone do it and taped them being together. He is looking for payback because she framed him for murder and basically ruined his life. Too much of a coincidence to me. I think the Keating baby just died of SIDS or something. I don't think Wes killed his mother.

Nate wasn't there when she was shot - after she is shot, we saw him in his police car trying to call her, and he doesn't arrive to pick up the K5 until they're already in the woods.

While SIDS is incredibly traumatic, I'm not sure it's dramatic enough for this show. And, I get the feeling Annalise has never actually taken care of a newborn before - I can't really point to anything specific that makes me think that, it's just a general impression. My guess for the baby is something similar to what happened to Rick Hansen's daughter. I really hope it's nothing criminal, at any rate.

I am also not convinced that Wes killed his mother, but I'm not entirely convinced he didn't, either.

I don't think Wes killed his mother. I'm used to how the flashbacks work by now. We only saw a couple seconds out of context. There's way more to it. I'm sure it'll be revealed in the last few minutes/seconds of the finale.

Lol poor Adam Arkin playing a racist again.

What exactly could Frank say to Laurel that would make what he did to Lila ok? He killed Lila on Sam's orders and didn't seem too upset about having to do it. Yeah, he owed Sam/Sam had something on him but still. If he really wanted to he probably could have gone to Annalise and told her everything: that her husband was cheating on her with a student, that the student got pregnant and wouldn't get an abortion, and that Sam wanted her killed because of it. Annalise would have found a way to minimize the damage for him.

I don't like Laurel and Frank together and I'm glad it looks like their relationship is finally over, but I don't want her with Wes either. It just seems to obvious. They work so much better as friends, imo. But maybe now that she thinks he murdered his mother when he was 12 she'll steer clear. I agree that she was the MVP this episode and thought Karla Souza did a great job in the scene where she was talking about her dad. Laurel's been my favorite since day one and she's just been getting better.

I always joke about how these kiddos should just transfer and get out of Philadelphia and away from this mess so it's nice to see Connor considering it. Unless Jack Falahee is leaving the show (I'm unspoiled but I doubt it), Connor's not going anywhere, but it's at least nice to acknowledge the elephant in the room. He can get a law degree anywhere, and it'll probably be better for every aspect of his life if it's far away from Annalise.

Nate seems kinda pointless to this show now, which is a shame, I hope they find a way to weave him back in again. Ditto the Hapstalls. I was interested in the case in the first half of the season but it's lost momentum since the show came back from hiatus. However I still want to find out what happened just because I don't like any threads dangling. I'm sure that will be a finale reveal as well. Maybe it'll somehow tie into the Christophe/Rose flashbacks.

Yeah the longer time goes on, I'm getting more and more worried about what happened to Annalise's baby.

• Love 1

Forgot to say, I really enjoyed this part of the episode:

Annalise: You eat red meat, right?

Nate: Look at me - of COURSE I eat red meat.

At this point, there is such a convoluted web of bullshit that even if they all decided to confess, it might not even be believed. I mean, it's such a clusterfuck, if they told their own versions it would be impossible to figure out what the hell was truth vs obfuscation vs crazybrains distortion.

I had the exact same thought when Bonnie mentioned them just giving up and letting the chips fall where they may. Where would one even begin with all the crimes these folks have committed? How would/could any of their stories be corroborated? What evidence could be used to prosecute them? 

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

What exactly could Frank say to Laurel that would make what he did to Lila ok?

Maybe something to the effect of "I screwed up because I was scared just like you screwed up when you were scared as well"?  I mean seriously this is all crazy....let's imagine Laurel in a relationship outside the guppies, when she finally decides to be honest....how would that conversation go? 

"Well, we didn't go there to kill Sam, but things got crazy, he was attacking us after we came into his house and tried to steal something.  Then, whoopsie, my friend threw him back and he fell over a bannister on the second floor and we thought he was dead, whew!  But whoops, he wasn't and then Wes, of course, had to kill him.  So naturally, we had to get rid of the body and burn it, cause, duh.  And let's be clear, we did flip a coin to make sure we made the right choice....what else could we have done??".....and so on (Rebecca) and so on (Wes shooting Annalise) and so on (sending someone to jail for a crime they didn't commit) and so on (all the coverup crimes I've committed)...And mind you, Laurel has less blood directly on her hands than others....imagine some of the other conversations!!!.

So, in summation, I'm not terribly worried about Laurel's delicate sensitivities being damaged by whatever Frank did!!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 5

The angle would probably be right if Wes killed his mother, a suicide neckslit would probably come in from a lower angle than someone else (adult sized) doing the stabbing/slicing, a kid going up would probably match it closer. But I doubt he did it. The first flashback never holds the real answer. Plus, it seemed pretty obvious to me that Rose was lying about her part of the story. Current pet theory: the father was the one to kill the wife, Rose knew more than she was letting on and she was killed when she didn't corroborate the story she was given, implying she might tell a different story. Or something. Who knows with this show?

Wes and Laurel can't be a thing because no.

And I don't think Annalise coached Wes unless this show is gonna retcon like woah, they're already doing it but really. He's not gonna totally s*** on the face of the woman that told him what to tell the police about his mother's death. Uh-uh boy, that might be my point of departure on the suspension of disbelief train. Traumatic event or no.

I think Wes was also in the English version of Gracepoint

Broadchurch? (A much better series btw). I don't think so.

-Does anyone know what Laurel said in Spanish in her car?

I'm not a native speaker and my Spanish is very rusty, but I think it was something like: Stop bothering me! (the phrase she used is slang) Stay away from me with that mess (problems). Then she tries to calm herself saying "relax, breathe."

Since Wes/Annalise are supposed to parallel each other I am wondering if Annalise has blacked out what happened to her baby they way Wes has blacked out what happened to his mom. Perhaps Frank was indirectly involved in Anni losing the baby and that's what Frank had over him. I also wonder if Wes wasn't in Witness protection and didn't know it, hence the name change. I *still* don't trust Caleb. I wouldn't be surprised if he was somehow in cahoots with Phillip. I am not feeling Laurel & Wes as a couple. I like them as friends, but this rebound  situation can only end up more messy than ever. One thing is clear to me, the K5 kids were picked because of their background. 

Forgot to say, I really enjoyed this part of the episode:

Annalise: You eat red meat, right?

Nate: Look at me - of COURSE I eat red meat.

This made me laugh so hard.

Maybe Frank killed Rose and Sam found out about it and agreed to keep quiet. I can't for the life of me imagine why, but I could see the writers trying to tie together the storylines.

• Love 1

Re: Flaurel, I think there is a substantial difference between strangling a pregnant teenager with your own two hands in cold blood and being involved in the crazy stuff the Keating 4 have been. Sam was a desperate killer, even if by proxy, and he went for Rebecca; Asher's murder coverup was foisted on them; Annalise goaded Wes into shooting her on purpose. I just don't buy that what Laurel has done is on the same level as what we saw Frank do, whatever Sam had on him to make him do it.

I am glad we are getting to know Laurel, though. I thought she was going to turn out to be a sociopath at the end of S1 where she basically tried to bat her eyelashes and manipulate Frank into killing Rebecca, and he ironically said he wasn't a hit man. Now we know a bit more of her backstory, if her dad is a mob boss or whatever, it makes sense that in a moment of thinking Rebecca was going to send her and the others to jail, she turned to her "father" and wanted him to just take care of it and make her go away. Her instincts about Frank were right on.

Edited by fembotz
  • Love 2

I agree with what was said upthread about Bonnie's comment regarding just letting the chips fall. It's almost like the more convoluted their lives get, the safer they all become. There's too many people involved, too much evidence that's been tampered with or gotten rid of, everyone's perception/version of the events is wildly different...no jury would be able to follow any of it and it would take a Bugliosi-level prosecutor to prove anything beyond even a glimmer of reasonable doubt. Although I think the show is slowly moving away from the possibility of legal comeuppance and more on how their actions affect each other and their personal relationships.

• Love 1

On a completely shallow note, that pale gray pants suit and jacket that Annalise wore when they went to the Hapstal mansion was swoon worthy. It reminded me of an outfit Olivia Pope would have won in the early years of Scandal. The only difference being Liv would have had elbow length gloves and a matching Prada bag.

• Love 2

I don't get why when Laurel asked Frank if he killed Lila for Annalise, he let her believe that instead of saying it was for Sam? I know Sam had something on Frank, and he couldn't have told Laurel (or didn't want to), but why throw Annalise under the bus? That irritated me.

I agree with everyone who is worrying about the fate of Annalise's baby -- my greatest hope is Annalise just gave birth, decided she couldn't be a mother, gave the baby up and told Sam that it died.

I'm also surprisingly enjoying the Annalise/Sam flashbacks -- sometimes flashbacks feel contrived, but I feel like the writers laid such a good, complex foundation for them last year that to see them again really feels natural, to me. Both actors play that weird, multi-faceted relationship so well.

• Love 1

Although this crack-tastic show makes me dread having to wait a week until the next totally insane episode, I'm so glad I'm watching it as it comes out as opposed to binging years later on Netflix. I think I would be up for days watching "just one more" after "just one more" until the end.

• Love 2

Annalise and Co. basically gaslighted the poor woman. They made her think that she was drugged by Philip and shot Annalise in her drugged-out state, and she believed it because she was drugged that night. What she doesn't know, of course, is that Frank drugged her. And then they got Caleb to convince her to plead guilty so that she'd get the lighter five year sentence.

I agree with what was said upthread about Bonnie's comment regarding just letting the chips fall. It's almost like the more convoluted their lives get, the safer they all become. There's too many people involved, too much evidence that's been tampered with or gotten rid of, everyone's perception/version of the events is wildly different...no jury would be able to follow any of it and it would take a Bugliosi-level prosecutor to prove anything beyond even a glimmer of reasonable doubt. Although I think the show is slowly moving away from the possibility of legal comeuppance and more on how their actions affect each other and their personal relationships.

That wasn't Bonnie's argument, though. She said, "You know, we could stop. Let it all burn. We'll go to jail. But is this really better than that?" She was in a deeply fatalistic mood, apparently. Even more so than her usual fatalism.

I don't get why when Laurel asked Frank if he killed Lila for Annalise, he let her believe that instead of saying it was for Sam? I know Sam had something on Frank, and he couldn't have told Laurel (or didn't want to), but why throw Annalise under the bus? That irritated me.

I agree with everyone who is worrying about the fate of Annalise's baby -- my greatest hope is Annalise just gave birth, decided she couldn't be a mother, gave the baby up and told Sam that it died.

I'm also surprisingly enjoying the Annalise/Sam flashbacks -- sometimes flashbacks feel contrived, but I feel like the writers laid such a good, complex foundation for them last year that to see them again really feels natural, to me. Both actors play that weird, multi-faceted relationship so well.

In fairness to Frank (who I hate), I do think he meant to correct Laurel's misapprehension, but first he took the call from Annalise and when he got off the phone, Laurel had left. But letting Annalise go into her office alone with Laurel was a bullshit move, as he had every reason to think Laurel was planning to confront Annalise for ordering Lila murdered, and I'm happy to trash him for that.

I'm onboard with Laurel/Wes. I thought the kiss was pretty good, they are very pretty together, and I am for anything that gets her away from Frank.

The way Annalise talked in her conversation with Bonnie about children, I got the distinct impression that she's never actually given birth. I'm going with late-term miscarriage.

• Love 1