Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: It's A Trap

Wasn't there a flashback that Anni was shoving a baby at Rose and asking her to take care of it? I assumed that was Anni's baby and she didn't want it. This show is so confusing.

Bonnie being all judgy at Asher with the Trotter Lake stuff is rich considering she killed Rebecca. Asher seems like the only decent guy who wants to confess so everyone doesn't get in trouble. Poor Catherine is in jail for something she didn't do- I hope she doesn't stay there too long.

Wes and Laurel were doing so great as friends- thanks for ruining that writers! I also don't think Christophe killed his mom and only pulled the knife out, and it was that creepy racist dad who killed her and her son's wife (or is it fiancé?). Good to see Wade from Hart of Dixie on this show.

Bonnie being all judgy at Asher with the Trotter Lake stuff is rich considering she killed Rebecca. Asher seems like the only decent guy who wants to confess so everyone doesn't get in trouble.

Wes and Laurel were doing so great as friends- thanks for ruining that writers! I also don't think Christophe killed his mom and only pulled the knife out, and it was that creepy racist dad who killed her and her son's wife (or is it fiancé?). Good to see Wade from Hart of Dixie on this show.

DA Smugface provoked Asher then stood directly behind his car.  That's evolution in action  more than murder. 

Twice Asher has been in horrid situations and wanted to do the right thing, but his lawyer (Dad, then Bonnie) convinced him not to.

Vicky was Charles' fiance.

• Love 1

I remember a scene where Anna hallucinated Rose giving a baby to Anna, not the other way around.

I know someone who lost her baby in her ninth month. It's not usual, but it happens. I think it's possible Anna goes into a stress meltdown or has some other trauma, and that leads to an answer for what happens to Anna's pregnancy. I wouldn't put it past Sam to flip out on her and push her down a flight of stairs or something like that, or for her to get assaulted by someone connected to the case she's working on. Maybe they think that for appearance reasons they can only get rid of her as their lawyer if she "resigns due to medical/tragic events" or something like that. It would explain her going from radiant and confident to steely, cynical, and hellbent on winning at any cost in her career.

We still don't for sure know who killed the Hapstall parents, do we? I really want answers. They gave us who killed Sam, Lila, and Rebecca. Now we have three mysteries unsolved: deaths of Hapstall parents and Rose, and what happened to Anna's baby. Have we been promised answers this season, or are they going to draw it out?

I think, no matter what Sam had on Frank, the cold-blooded murder of Lila really can't be excused. At some point, you just can't let yourself be blackmailed. I think murder is that point where you have to just take the consequences of drawing the line. That was not an accident, it was not self-defense, it was not in any way justified. Likewise, Bonnie killing Rebecca was way worse than anything the Keating 5 have done. Again, it was pre-meditated, solely for self-serving reasons, basically to prevent the possibility of someone from making the rest of them face the consequences for their actions out in the open.

Everyone on this show is gray at best. They've all done horrible things. But so far we only know two of them have committed cold-blooded pre-meditated murder, supposedly to prevent the victims from exposing the truth about their or their associates' true actions. And Frank was never shown to even be upset about it. Bonnie still has the residual emotion and conscience to cry and feel depressed and upset-- not that that's enough, but it's a tiny bit more than Frank, who seemed entirely calm and totally unruffled by strangling Lila.

• Love 2

Annalise and Co. basically gaslighted the poor woman. They made her think that she was drugged by Philip and shot Annalise in her drugged-out state, and she believed it because she was drugged that night. What she doesn't know, of course, is that Frank drugged her. And then they got Caleb to convince her to plead guilty so that she'd get the lighter five year sentence.

And Annalise and Co. decided to pin the shooting on Catherine why? Because they thought she was actually guilty of killing the Hapstalls with Philip so they felt ok about her getting locked up for something she had nothing to do with? I must have blinked at some point because this is the plot point I am really lost on. I realize they are all pretty cold blooded and this was something Annalise thought up on the spot to account for all the insanity that went on that night, but surely they didnt get an innocent woman locked up for five years to cover all their asses without any concern over it?*

*not to mention Annalise is actually still her lawyer, right?

Edited by bref
Billy Brown is so marginalised on the show that I wouldn't mind him being let go.

I would mind seeing him go but I agree that he's serving less and less purpose on the show. Pretty much all he does now is handle some shady cop business whenever Annalise cajoles him into doing it.

I would bet good money its Nate that is behind all of those videos and he is the one who is really blackmailing them

I've thought that too. He might be working with Phillip on a revenge scheme. It's still hard for me to believe that he's forgiven Annalise for almost getting him the death penalty for a crime she knew he didn't commit. You just don't play games with people's lives like that.

Re Alfred Enoch's British accent, I never saw any of the Harry Potter movies but I IMDb'ed him after HTGAWM started to find out his acting history. He was recently on Wendy William's show and she made such a silly fuss about his accent. Apparently it bothered her and she actually asked him to speak in his American accent for the duration of the interview. He took it in good humor and granted her request but I was sort of offended on his behalf.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3
Viola Davis looked AMAZING in that scene where Annalise was having dinner with Nate.

I agree, I actually paused it during the dinner to gaze at her for a little while!  They have really softened her hair and especially, dialed back the eyelashes which I found so distracting last season.  Her lips are to die for!

Is it bad that I find Wes 100% more interesting now that he may be guilty of matricide?  

I wonder how they are going to get Connor back in the fold?  I don't want him to leave, but really it would be the best thing for him.

• Love 1

Wasn't there a flashback that Anni was shoving a baby at Rose and asking her to take care of it? I assumed that was Anni's baby and she didn't want it. This show is so confusing.

Rose came to the house and basically shoved the baby at Annalise, and then Annalise tried to give it back. Also, it was a hallucination, not a flashback, so don't give it too much weight or expect it to make much sense.

And Annalise and Co. decided to pin the shooting on Catherine why? Because they thought she was actually guilty of killing the Hapstalls with Philip so they felt ok about her getting locked up for something she had nothing to do with? I must have blinked at some point because this is the plot point I am really lost on. I realize they are all pretty cold blooded and this was something Annalise thought up on the spot to account for all the insanity that went on that night, but surely they didnt get an innocent woman locked up for five years to cover all their asses without any concern over it?*

They decided to pin the shooting on Catherine before there was a shooting to speak of. That was always the plan. Annalise said she wanted to leave the police a "mess". They needed some reason for Sinclair to be dead, and so if Annalise said Catherine came and shot her and then somehow Sinclair ended up dead, it would look like Catherine is responsible for Sinclair's death.

Annalise is no longer Catherine's lawyer, ever since she found out about the gun Caleb found, but it seems like she's still Caleb's lawyer? Not entirely sure Caleb needs one atm, since it seems as though the authorities are blaming Philip for the Hapstall parents' deaths.

Also, since this has come up multiple times, there is a difference between miscarriage and stillbirth. Miscarriage does not describe all pregnancy loss before 9 months, and there is no such thing as a "late term miscarriage". Whatever happened to Annalise's baby, it certainly can't have been a miscarriage, which is defined as pregnancy loss before 20 weeks. After that, it's called a stillbirth, and this can happen "early", "late", or at term.

• Love 4

Re Alfred Enoch's British accent, I never saw any of the Harry Potter movies but I IMDb'ed him after HTGAWM started to find out his acting history. He was recently on Wendy William's show and she made such a silly fuss about his accent. Apparently it bothered her and she actually asked him to speak in his American accent for the duration of the interview. He took it in good humor and granted her request but I was sort of offended on his behalf.

How small-minded of her, but that's Wendy Williams for you. I do remember Alfred from Harry Potter (back when he was still Alfie, even!) but didn't know much about him outside those movies. So, I read up, and some things clicked: I'd heard he was fluent in Portuguese, which made sense with his mother being from Brazil. His father is an actor with a long list of credits...and welcomed him a bit later in life. Glad to see people appreciating AE and realizing he's nothing like his character.

I know what this show is called, but I always figured that one of the main characters would have to die or be sent to prison, eventuality. It's a good point, though, that the truth is so crazy and unbelievable that reasonable doubt might allow them to get away with a lot of it.

• Love 6

IIRC Annaiise quit being Catherine's lawyer and had Phillip hire them when they found out about the gun. 

Go figure. I've watched that series twice and never noticed him. 

He's in one scene for all of 5 mins. Tells the female reporter, Karen, who travels to Broadchurch, about the finding of the body. His head is also turned towards her for the duration of the scene, so unless you know his voice with his native accent, you may not catch it. I only noticed because I did a re-watch the same day I watched the interview with HuffPost and picked up on his voice. 

• Love 1

The way Annalise talked in her conversation with Bonnie about children, I got the distinct impression that she's never actually given birth. I'm going with late-term miscarriage.

Yeah, and I think Sam's look of disapproval with regard to her putting off the sonogram I think it was, plays into this. She had one scheduled before she left, but canceled it and if you're correct, had she kept that appointment maybe the baby could have been saved.

Maybe that's why her marriage to Sam became so downright hateful IMO.

As a matter a fact, the worried look that she gave Sam while rubbing her belly as he walked away, gave me pause. I didn't get why she looked so worried after that exchange between them, she should have been smiling. I didn't get the furrowed brow look at the end of that scene, unless it was just about the nausea she was having. She had just been throwing up and all.  Or, maybe it was, I'm having this baby and I love it, but it's getting in the way of my career look.

Is it bad that I find Wes 100% more interesting now that he may be guilty of matricide?

LOL, if there's any show to have that kind of feeling about, it's this one. I agree, he sure did get a whole lot more interesting.

Although I think he was set up, or came out of his room at the end of it all and pulled the knife out of her.  Although the matricide would be a hell of an angle to take, considering I've been warning as a viewer that on the other end, they will have crossed the line with me if Anna killed her baby. But on the other hand they wouldn't have crossed the line with the matricide, cause I would be at first anyway, interested to find out about this boy's psyche. I mean WTF happened to him in his what, 11 years?...that would make him murder his mother?  Just because she told him to not back talk her and to go to bed?  But I know enough about Anna and nothing a mother could ever say would acceptable to me, nor would I be interesting in hearing as an explanation for killing their child. Except maybe an apocalypse, being the end of the world and all, so you give little "Johnny" a sleeping pill and mom gives one to herself and the die in each others' arms.

But I do think that Anna showed up and saw parts of what happen and then ran so as to never be placed at the scene of that crime.

Edited by represent

The way Annalise talked in her conversation with Bonnie about children, I got the distinct impression that she's never actually given birth. I'm going with late-term miscarriage.

It's not a miscarriage, it's called a stillbirth.

And it involves having labour induced and then giving birth to your dead baby. 

• Love 2

At this point, Annalise will definitely give birth. Whether it's to a living or dead baby is the question.

• Love 2

Yeah, and I think Sam's look of disapproval with regard to her putting off the sonogram I think it was, plays into this. She had one scheduled before she left, but canceled it and if you're correct, had she kept that appointment maybe the baby could have been saved.

Sam disapproved when he thought she had delayed the ultrasound, but instead she actually moved it a couple of days sooner, and then Sam smiled and Annalise said "See, I care" and then we saw them getting the ultrasound done.

• Love 4

My guess is something happens during the trial/case and she loses the baby then. It may not have had anything to do with the case, but maybe that guilt even increased her need to take care of Wes the way she does. Maybe a plane crash or something on the way home? 

Wes and Laurel.....just NO!

Better episode, Philip blackmailing them had it's moments though I find it interesting that he was sending the emails to Connor in order to get at them all.

Did Catherine murder their parents? I guess maybe she did or she at least helped Philip into doing it. Not sure about Michaela and Caleb being back on again either.

Oliver snarking about Connor never studying was hilarious.

Laurel and Wes had some interesting enough moments and I liked the flashbacks with Annalise, Frank and Rose.

Did Wes kill his mother? I guess next week should resolve that one, 8/10

Better episode, Philip blackmailing them had it's moments though I find it interesting that he was sending the emails to Connor in order to get at them all.

I wonder if he did that on purpose, knowing that Connor has a hacker boyfriend in Oliver. Maybe he was never planning on sending the videos to the police and was instead hoping that they would try to find him and he'd then lure them into some kind of trap. After all, when time was up, he didn't send the video to the police but instead sends another video to Connor to let them know that he's watching them.

And do we even know that Philip sent the videos? I know we're supposed to assume it's him but think about what show we're watching here...

• Love 2
Viola Davis looked AMAZING in that scene where Annalise was having dinner with Nate.

I agree, I actually paused it during the dinner to gaze at her for a little while!  They have really softened her hair and especially, dialed back the eyelashes which I found so distracting last season.  Her lips are to die for!

I thought she looked even better in the later scene where she was wearing the sky blue dress.  She looked magnificent.

And Annalise and Co. decided to pin the shooting on Catherine why?

Yeah.  I still don’t get that and I don’t approve of them framing her and I’m in no way convinced that either Catherine or Phillip killed the Hapstalls. As far as I’m concerned, the killer could still be Caleb….or someone else entirely.  They need to give me some concrete answers about those murders before they start introducing new whodunits.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 1

We still don't for sure know who killed the Hapstall parents, do we? I really want answers. They gave us who killed Sam, Lila, and Rebecca. Now we have three mysteries unsolved: deaths of Hapstall parents and Rose, and what happened to Anna's baby. Have we been promised answers this season, or are they going to draw it out?

We have another unsolved murder as well: Who killed Aunt Hapstall? You may remember that Aunt Hapstall was trying to pin Hapstall Parents' murder on Catherine and Caleb, and had racist tendencies that would tend to discredit her. She was killed, and Caleb was accused of killing her. But Anna and co. showed that evidence had been planted to implicate Caleb. 

I would presume that we're going to get answers this season to all of these, but there's not a heckuva lotta time. 

• Love 3
(edited)

know what this show is called, but I always figured that one of the main characters would have to die or be sent to prison, eventuality. It's a good point, though, that the truth is so crazy and unbelievable that reasonable doubt might allow them to get away with a lot of it.

And, actually, that title being HOW to get away with murder, that's probably the final point of it all. 

They WILL get away with it  But will they really, mind-wise?  Judging from what we've seen, probably so, since the kids are fairly shallow ! and Bonnie and Frank are not only amoral but immoral.  I can't imagine putting plastic around someone so they can't breathe and letting that happen.  

Annaliese is physically the most guiltless of the original crew and doesn't intentionally harm anyone who doesn't deserve it (jail time in Catherine's case, she thinks) but she's the entire reason for all of it and even the director of 'How...'  

I am always disbelieving that this crazy show has me riveted every single week.

Edited by pitchy

Annalise may not have physically committed ant murders, but she's as hip-deep in them as any of the kids. Connor could have mentioned that Frank stole his car kust to keep him from going to the police.  And it was her instructions to Wes that got all of them so stuck.  The fact is Nate was right: No one can trust that Annalise is doing something for her stated reason -- "Mommy" always has a hidden agenda.

I really, really want this show to end with Annalise being the only main character to not actually commit a murder with her own two hands. Then the "how" in the title can be answered with: psychologically manipulate people into becoming slavishly devoted to you so that they commit murders on your behalf.

• Love 5

That's the other thing that kills me, they don't think Catherine killed her parents. They think Philip did it and tried to frame Catherine. Catherine being innocent is why Annalise set up that whole "Catherine only shot me because she was drugged out of her skull, and it was really Philip's fault anyway" mitigating circumstance so Catherine would go to jail for "only" five years. If Annalise really thought Catherine had killed her parents, she wouldn't have bothered to set up that mitigating circumstance, she would've just said Catherine shot her in cold blood after a confrontation about Catherine killing her parents (since Annalise was no longer Catherine's lawyer at that point, it wouldn't have been covered by attorney-client privilege), and let Catherine face a much longer prison sentence. Since Annalise doesn't think Catherine killed her parents, she had just enough conscience to try to get her as light of a sentence as possible. It's pretty horrific, but as I commented in a previous thread, given this group of people, perhaps Catherine's lucky she's not dead.

• Love 1

My guess is something happens during the trial/case and she loses the baby then. It may not have had anything to do with the case, but maybe that guilt even increased her need to take care of Wes the way she does. Maybe a plane crash or something on the way home? 

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the fate of Annalise's baby having to do with that case. Those people were creepy. 

• Love 2

I have to say, I think hiding the murder weapon in the house is really stupid. It wasn't even hidden very well. Isn't getting rid of the weapon a basic part of how to get away with murder? If we are to believe that Caleb and Catherine are not total dimwits, it seems much more likely that either they are both innocent, someone else planted the gun, or that it was not actually the murder weapon.

Edited by possibilities

I never saw this happening but I've got to say Laurel has seriously grown on me in recent weeks. I couldn't stand her in season one.

Question - was Frank one of Annalise's chose law students along with Bonnie? I didn't think he'd gone to college.

I don't think Frank was ever a law student. I don't want to post about the episode after this one in this thread, but something is said in that episode regarding Frank's introduction to Annalise's life that pretty much confirms he was never a student of hers.

Question - was Frank one of Annalise's chose law students along with Bonnie? I didn't think he'd gone to college.

I hope they get into this next season. I so want to know about his history with Sam, in the flashback Anna pretty much described Frank as if he was some kid on the streets with on one and that Sam brought him home and asked her to hire him.

Because that family he introduced Laurel to last season was fake, they just felt so very fake to me. 

For that matter, I'm still not clear on Bonnie and Anna's history. I still don't get exactly when Bonnie came into her life. Like, I figure Anna would have been in law school, sorta like the same age as the K-5 when she met a little Bonnie. Which to me wouldn't give her all that much power to still have evidence in her possession of a child molestation/murder case?  I see her being a student herself, not a full fledged attorney with her own practice back then.  Anna is not that old, and Bonnie is not that young. As in no way do I see Anna being old enough to be Bonnie's mother unless she had her at the age of fifteen.

And then what? When Bonnie grows up just like Wes, Anna makes sure she gets into law school? I'm totally confused about time line/connection.