Type keyword(s) to search

Justice League (2017)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Dang, that's what I get for not being that quick. Needless to say, Epic Voice Guy (or whatever he's known as) is brutal. The title: Warner Bros Presents Joss Whedon's Zack Snyder's Justice League: Part One ... Of One. I didn't think Suicide Squad sucked that hard . . . better than MoS and BvS, with Wonder Woman looming high above the entire DCEU.

4 hours ago, starri said:

Is Henry Cavill forcing his voice into a deeper register, or are they adjusting it in post?

Maybe it's his american accent? I've noticed British actors' voices tend to get deeper when they go into their american accents. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

Maybe it's his american accent? I've noticed British actors' voices tend to get deeper when they go into their american accents. 

Maybe?  I just realized that something about it doesn't sound quite right, but I don't think it's just the accent.  I mean, I guess Hugh Laurie drops a bit when plays American, but when he's doing a British one, I mostly think of him with comedy, so that's going to be higher pitched.

I don't know, Cavill sounds reasonably Midwestern, but there's just something off.

I think he lost control of his accent a couple of times during the reshot sequences, particularly that confrontation with Batman. I guess he's using his native accent (or another British one) in the MI movie that was filming simultaneously? Anyway, I thought he sounded convincing in Man of Steel, and he didn't have enough dialogue in BvS to form an opinion about.

• Love 2

I reckon the DCEU is a lost cause at this point. Except for Wonder Woman. Seriously, wouldn't it have been better to have a bearded Superman, and do the crap effect at the beginning and end? I can't see a sequel to JL. But I'm usually wrong about stuff like that.

Oh, and Anchorman reference for the win.

• Love 2

I finally saw Justice League and was shocked at how truly awful it is.   Batman had zero personality, there was no mystique, no presence, just Ben Affleck in a costume.   Aquaman suffers from being such a silly character that even the Karl Drogo treatment can't salvage him.  Cyborg, utterly unlikeable.  Flash, annoying as hell with all the quirks and affectations.  And Wonder Woman, who just deserved better.

Superman ... I wanted to punch Superman for being so sappy except it might have knocked his toupee askew. 

The villain was one of the most generic threats I have seen in a film.  Steppenwolf?   How can anyone be intimidated by a villain whose name gets you humming "Magic Carpet Ride?"

So much time was squandered introducing each superhero that the movie was almost finished by the time they got around to tackling the baddie.   When they finally clashed, it felt like a warmed-over version of the climactic battle in Wonder Woman.

If this was the best that DC could come up with, you really have to wonder why anyone responsible for this film still has a job.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, millennium said:

So much time was squandered introducing each superhero that the movie was almost finished by the time they got around to tackling the baddie.

And that, for me, is the main problem with this movie. WB put the cart before the horse. They wanted the instant Cinematic Universe that Marvel had slowly set up for themselves over the years. This movie should never have seen the light of day until all involved had their own solo movies to introduce the characters. This one had to spend time explaining where Flash, Cyborg and Aqauman came from so the supergroup would feel awesome. But by the end it still felt like a bunch of strangers fighting a bad guy just because they had powers.

Having said that though, I did enjoy it. Mainly cause it wasn't so dark and broody like everything else (except WW) that has been released from this cinematic world

• Love 2

Story-wise, I think the absence of Superman from most of the movie was hugely problematic.   I didn't like Cavill's portrayal of the Man of Steel here, but the will-he-or-won't-he-come-back-to-life coyness of the plot was DOA.   Everybody knew he would.  I don't think the movie's ever been made where the prospect of a hero returning from the dead has failed to deliver.   It's Chekhov's resurrection.   Spending so much time on the mechanics of the inevitable just seemed a waste to me.

• Love 1
(edited)

I finally got around to seeing this, and I thought it ... wasn't awful. Vastly better than the troglodytic Batman v Superman, sadly inferior to Wonder Woman, but then Wonder Woman is better than approximately 99.876% of output in this genre -- with a slightly higher percentage if we consider origin stories.  

Whoever wrote the backstory didn't even bother to disguise the cribbing from Tolkien's Legendarium -- Last Alliance of Atlanteans, Amazons and Men, anyone? Then again, it's a sturdy skeleton.

I didn't even mind the focus on the mechanics on getting Supes back -- although the Came Back Wrong fakeout wasn't pursued very convincingly; maybe somebody talked Snyder out of his "Superman is secretly an alien invader from Planet Nietzche" obsession? Or maybe Joss Whedon just dumped that nonsense as fast as possible?

I might be the contrarian as far as the casting is considered: I have no real problem with Ben Affleck's Batman, now that he's just a suspicious asshole, and not a full-on paranoid delusional whackjob. I even liked his chemistry with Diana in their scenes together -- though Diana/Gal Gadot has decent-or-better chemistry with everyone and everything. Similarly, I always like Henry Cavill and Amy Adams together, even when the movie around them is busy being horrendous. (Give Diane Lane more to do, DCEU movies! She's aces!) I had no problem with Cyborg, even though he seems more Teen Titans than JLA, to me. It's always fun to see Joe Morton. Ezra Miller as the Flash was surprisingly not as annoying as I had every fear of his being. (The actor strikes me as insufferably self-delighted.) I guess the scene with Mera and Aquaman was setup for the eventual Aquaman solo movie? Amber Heard was fine, but Mera wasn't ever a very memorable character, I think; she was mostly just there -- so, mission accomplished? Jason Momoa probably had fun with this version of Arthur Curry as some sort of badass Khal Drogo/laidback Surfer Dude combo platter, but, ehh -- didn't really work for me. I guess he was required for comic relief. (Speaking of comic relief, this version of Barry Allen seems to erase any distinctions of characterization between Barry, Wally West and Bart Allen -- maybe the Speed Force operates as a kind of personality blender; a psychic Vitamix, if you will.)

Not for nothing, but the closed captioning on Netflix refers at least once to Aquaman's pitchfork as a "fivedent," which isn't actually thing, but, still.

ETA: Still too dark physically.

Edited by Sandman
Darkness!
  • Love 7

This was on HBO tonight.  During the prologue, when the kids interview Superman, I know everyone has always been focused on that triumphant achievement of CGI that was Superman’s mouth.  But one thing I was wondering was that the one kid asks what Superman’s favorite thing about Earth is.  He thinks a second, smiles knowingly and then it cuts to the start of the movie before we hear his response.  Was the answer that he was thinking about “Lois,” since she’s the one who brought him back to reality later on (i.e., she was the key)?  Maybe I’ll head canon that as true regardless of the actual answer since they deleted my Lois/ Clark engagement acceptance scene at the farm that was in the commercials (which I’m still sad about).

• Love 3

Well, I was bored and had nothing else to watch tonight, or rather, last night, and I watched this. It was slightly better than the piece of shit/pure garbage that was Batman v. Superman, but it didn't earn any of the things it tried/attempted to show.

Right from the beginning, before the movie even started, I saw what they (whoever's idea it was to do this) tried to do, by stealing ripping off from DCAU's Justice Leauge opening and showing everyone from the Justice League. And what they did with the dialogue between Bruce and Alfred about Diana--how she "had his number." Also stolen ripped from the series finale of Justice League Unlimited. Or any of the throwaway lines.

And I knew it; just knew it. While Ezra did a credible job, his Flash was, just like Grant Gustin's, Wally West. Except that Ezra's Flash was the age better suited to BART ALLEN. There was NOTHING of BARRY ALLEN in him.

I would have been satisfied and happy just to watch the Amazons kicking ass, to be honest.

As for the villain, Steppenwolf? Really? I'm no die-hard comic fan and all my knowledge has come from the animated shows and movies, but all I remember is him being Darkseid's lackey and an incompetent boob. His words, actions, again, better suited to Darkseid. DC and Warner Bros. would be smart to try and get Michael Ironside to voice him, should he be the villain in the next movie. But I doubt it, because they're STUPID.

As for the scenes where Bruce goes to Iceland to look for Arthur? Man I was just ????? If this was Conroy's Bruce/Bats, he would have KNOWN how to speak Icelandean, or whatever the correct language is (my closed captioning said "Icelandean"), and he wouldn't have been made to look the fool or be the butt of the joke. But since I can't stand Assfleck, I chortled at him looking the fool.

And he can also STFU about Supes being the "beacon of hope" as well as whoever wrote that. Because I, for one, DID NOT SEE THAT in that garbage of the previous movie. Practically everyone shit on Supes and looked upon him with suspicion. It was only after he sacrificed himself and DIED, that they were all in tears and mourning.  And just what the fuck was that with his resurrection? Bruce sounded more like Lex, with his blathering on about science and how the risk was worth it to bring him back. When, Bats was known (okay, Conroy's Bats (who is the ONLY one who counts here)), to not mess with things they didn't understand or could conceive its powers/effects. But noooo, this guy just kept talking shit to ease his guilty conscience.  I wish Diana had smashed his face in when he threw Steve's name in her face.

Did enjoy J.K. Simmons as Gordon. That man can do no wrong. When I saw his name, I thought for a moment, he'd be reprising his role as General Eiling from the animated show.

I will not lie. I ????? and ???? when Supes was throwing Fatman's ass around and dislocated his shoulder.

Uh-huh. Another rip-off from "Speed Demons" at the end, except they change it up to have Supes Fly, while Flash runs or whatever to see who's the fastest.

And I just CANNOT take Eisenberg seriously as Lex. Though the guy who's gonna play Slade/Deathstroke looks familiar and interesting.

The only DC movies I'll be seeing in the theatre will be the Wonder Woman ones. Gal Gadot was just awesome and great.

Didn't care for whoever did the cover of "Come Together" with a metal rock sound at the end, either. What? They couldn't get rights to the original?

But man, was that whole cgi-wiping of Cavill's 'stache distracting and made his face look all distorted and weird.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 7/3/2018 at 2:18 PM, Sandman said:

I finally got around to seeing this, and I thought it ... wasn't awful. Vastly better than the troglodytic Batman v Superman, sadly inferior to Wonder Woman,

Having rewatched on HBO last night, I agree.  If B v. S was an “F” grade, I’d say this was more like a C+.  (But since I grew up with the DCU heroes and Lois & Clark are my OTP, that’s still quite disappointing.)  I thought more than once that it was such a shame that such a star-studded cast didn’t have better material to work with.

I thought that the score was really, really weak.  The one area where B v. S excelled over Justice League was the music for the climactic battle scene.  And that “Everybody Knows” song at the beginning was so overbearing and heavy-handed (made no better by the images that accompanied it).

I also noted that there were a few good moments that didn’t seem to have enough room to breath:  like the relationship between Cyborg and his father (good line about how “it’s weird that you thought I meant me” or something like that) and the scenes between Cyborg and Wonder Woman and how she kind of got through to him about heroism.  I kept thinking during this movie that I really hope they disregard this movie’s continuity for the Wonder Woman sequel because the repeated talk about her being hesitant to lead because of what happened to Steve Trevor was such a downer for her character.

Yes, Steppenwolf was beyond lame, but also, his powers didn’t even make sense.  In the past, the Atlantans, the Amazons, the gods, and the all of mankind had to unite to just force his retreat (not even kill him), but this time 6 heroes could punch him into defeat?  I guess he had fewer troops this time, so maybe that’s why.  I did like how Superman used different powers to fight Steppenwolf:  nice to see freeze breath and laser vision in the mix instead of just punches. 

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 1

I caught this on the plane the other day and yeah, it's not horrible but it isn't special either.   One big issue is that regardless of what came first in the comics most movie viewers are going to compare the DC movies directly to the Marvel ones and for the most part DC loses.  Consider the following - if you were going to ask people to choose a five person team from either of those movie universes just based on popularity, would anyone other than Wonder Woman have a chance of getting in?  Likewise, if most people were asked to rank the Marvel/DC movies of this era everything but Wonder Woman would be in Thor 2/the Hulk territory.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Didn't care for whoever did the cover of "Come Together" with a metal rock sound at the end, either. What? They couldn't get rights to the original?

Or if not, why couldn't they have just used the Aerosmith version?

I did like that they stopped trying to make Superman a dark antihero, and took steps toward making him the big blue boy scout that works best with him.  I normally prefer Batman, but Superman was one of the few things I liked about this movie.

Too many scenes of all the heroes standing in a line together doing nothing.

Why did the Flash look so awkward when he runs?

There really should have put Green Lantern into this, maybe John Stewart.  Guy Gardner is actually my favorite Lantern, but he'd probably confuse movie goers.

• Love 2
On 7/7/2018 at 9:37 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Heh. That cover, Aquaman and Wonder Woman were my favorite parts of the movie. 

19 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

I caught this on the plane the other day and yeah, it's not horrible but it isn't special either.   One big issue is that regardless of what came first in the comics most movie viewers are going to compare the DC movies directly to the Marvel ones and for the most part DC loses.  Consider the following - if you were going to ask people to choose a five person team from either of those movie universes just based on popularity, would anyone other than Wonder Woman have a chance of getting in?  Likewise, if most people were asked to rank the Marvel/DC movies of this era everything but Wonder Woman would be in Thor 2/the Hulk territory.

I agree with this entire post.  If I had list the DC comics in order, I would say Wonder Woman..........[big gap].........Justice League, Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, Batman vs. Superman.  And yeah, all of them, except WW,  would mix in around the bottom of my Marvel movies list.

1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I agree with this entire post.  If I had list the DC comics in order, I would say Wonder Woman..........[big gap].........Justice League, Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, Batman vs. Superman.  And yeah, all of them, except WW,  would mix in around the bottom of my Marvel movies list.

I guess you're talking about the current "DC Cinematic Universe", but Batman is a pretty popular character in his own right.  He's basically the James Bond of the superhero world, he's survived through many different versions.  I would say he is the most popular superhero character, period, even over the Marvel characters.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

I guess you're talking about the current "DC Cinematic Universe", but Batman is a pretty popular character in his own right.  He's basically the James Bond of the superhero world, he's survived through many different versions.  I would say he is the most popular superhero character, period, even over the Marvel characters.

Yes, the more current ones.  If you want to add the previous 3 Batman movies, I'd put The Dark Knight at a very close second to WW.  In regards to Batman being the most popular, I was never interested in superheros until the Marvel movie franchise (except I liked Superman movies with Christopher Reeves when they first came out) .  Marvel turned me into a huge fan and I still love them after 10 years. I've also never read more than one or two frames of any comic book in my life, so I'm less likely to care much about cannon in either universe.

On 7/8/2018 at 12:37 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

The only DC movies I'll be seeing in the theatre will be the Wonder Woman ones. Gal Gadot was just awesome and great.

I agree...except Aquaman *might* be good.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, globally I think it goes Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, Wonder Woman, Wolverine and everyone else basically.

• Love 1
On 7/9/2018 at 9:52 AM, rmontro said:

Basically Batman only goes about a decade without having some depiction of the character in either cartoons, tv, or on film since the 1940s. I can't think of any other character that comes that close to that level of media saturation. Maybe Bugs Bunny.

• Love 3
On 7/8/2018 at 12:28 PM, Peace 47 said:

I thought more than once that it was such a shame that such a star-studded cast didn’t have better material to work with.

I would agree. Also, that cover of Cohen's "Everybody Knows" was atrocious. (It's a great song by a brilliant artist, ruined by hack work -- in other words, right up Snyder's alley.)

• Love 2
On 7/7/2018 at 11:37 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

he would have KNOWN how to speak Icelandean, or whatever the correct language is (my closed captioning said "Icelandean")

Icelandic.

On 7/8/2018 at 11:28 AM, Peace 47 said:

I thought that the score was really, really weak.

I thought I heard bits of both Elfman’s Batman theme, and Williams’ Superman theme- both of which seem out of place with these versions of the characters.

I also finally caught this thanks to the HBO free preview weekend.  Overall, it does feel like a step up from BvS, but it still has many of the same flaws as most of the previous DC films. The pacing felt weird and disjointed, especially at the beginning. Mustache-gate was just the tip of the bad CG iceberg for me- for example, at times it felt like Cyborg’s head was floating in front of his body.  Steppenwolf was yet another boring CG villain, and not-Chernobyl was yet another monochromatic CG wasteland. The “New 52” style outfits are still dumb.  And, it still feels like the producers think they’re above the comic book nature of these characters. Did we actually hear anyone say Flash, Wonder Woman, or even Justice League?

Still, this was more fun to watch than anything but WW.  I thought Affleck was a solid Bruce Wayne (and an... acceptable Batman). Apart from the bad CG and the contrived fight with the other JL’ers, Cavill was finally charming as Superman. Gal Gadot is still the mvp, and Diana is great as the moral compass of the DCEU. Miller and Momoa were... more enjoyable than I expected. Finally, “save one person” works for me. That feels like a refreshing and authentically heroic attitude- particularly in this film series.

• Love 3

I haven't read The Flash in the comics probably since the late 70s/early 80s, so help me out here.

Wasn't this version of the Flash heavily influenced by the TV show?  Specifically the effects with the lightning swirling around him when he runs, I don't remember that from the comics - or have they written that in lately?  When I read the Flash, he appeared to be a late 30s/early 40s adult male, who was married to Iris West.  I seem to recall her getting killed at some point, but I'm sure they've rebooted the character several times since then.  I've heard that there was a writer who gave him a little more depth and personality, writing in that bit about his mother getting killed and his father getting put in prison for it.  The new Flash appears to be much younger than the old Barry Allen I remember.

(edited)
11 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Icelandic.

Thank you! I feel really bad when I mess up or don't know the correct word, and stupid me, thinking those that close-caption the dialogue, know what they're doing.

I thought I heard bits of both Elfman’s Batman theme, and Williams’ Superman theme- both of which seem out of place with these versions of the characters.

I also finally caught this thanks to the HBO free preview weekend.  Overall, it does feel like a step up from BvS, but it still has many of the same flaws as most of the previous DC films. The pacing felt weird and disjointed, especially at the beginning. Mustache-gate was just the tip of the bad CG iceberg for me- for example, at times it felt like Cyborg’s head was floating in front of his body.  Steppenwolf was yet another boring CG villain, and not-Chernobyl was yet another monochromatic CG wasteland. The “New 52” style outfits are still dumb.  And, it still feels like the producers think they’re above the comic book nature of these characters. Did we actually hear anyone say Flash, Wonder Woman, or even Justice League?

Still, this was more fun to watch than anything but WW.

You did? I didn't hear any of that, and I LOVE Elfman's theme, have it as one of my ringtones, so know when I hear it.  And Williams' theme is so ICONIC, I can't believe I wouldn't have recognized it. But I don't feel like rewatching to confirm it. And ditto for everything else above.

Apart from the bad CG and the contrived fight with the other JL’ers, Cavill was finally charming as Superman. Gal Gadot is still the mvp, and Diana is great as the moral compass of the DCEU. Miller and Momoa were... more enjoyable than I expected. Finally, “save one person” works for me. That feels like a refreshing and authentically heroic attitude- particularly in this film series.

I was THRILLED to see Cavill being charming as Supes!

I would have liked your post @Chyromaniac, but I loathe Assfleck as an actor and HATE with the heat of a gazillion million billion fiery suns his characterization of Batman (I know it's not logical), AND Bruce Wayne. And I know this is unpopular, but for me, in LIVE Action, it's Christian Bale for me, NOTWITHSTANDING the HORROR that was Bats' "voice" after Batman Begins. That voice was okay in the first film.  I've said it before and I'll say it again: they should have dubbed in Conroy's Batman.

5 hours ago, rmontro said:

I haven't read The Flash in the comics probably since the late 70s/early 80s, so help me out here.

Wasn't this version of the Flash heavily influenced by the TV show?  Specifically the effects with the lightning swirling around him when he runs, I don't remember that from the comics - or have they written that in lately?  When I read the Flash, he appeared to be a late 30s/early 40s adult male, who was married to Iris West.  I seem to recall her getting killed at some point, but I'm sure they've rebooted the character several times since then.  I've heard that there was a writer who gave him a little more depth and personality, writing in that bit about his mother getting killed and his father getting put in prison for it.  The new Flash appears to be much younger than the old Barry Allen I remember.

I believe so, from what I read in the media thread. And just see my comments about how not only the CW's Flash, but Miller's Flash has the personality of Wally West, Barry Allen's nephew by marriage, and the age of Bart Allen, Barry's grandson. And I've vented about how Barry is supposed to be everyone's contemporary, not a kid. Was DC trying to make him more like Spidey? I dunno.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Still, this was more fun to watch than anything but WW.  I thought Affleck was a solid Bruce Wayne (and an... acceptable Batman). Apart from the bad CG and the contrived fight with the other JL’ers, Cavill was finally charming as Superman. Gal Gadot is still the mvp, and Diana is great as the moral compass of the DCEU. Miller and Momoa were... more enjoyable than I expected. Finally, “save one person” works for me. That feels like a refreshing and authentically heroic attitude- particularly in this film series.

I would agree with almost everything you say here, save that maybe my threshold for being charmed is lower than yours. I definitely agree about Diana's being the moral compass, and about the "save one person" idea -- that seemed true to the DC comics I remember reading, perhaps more than almost anything else. I also heard a quote from John Williams' theme from Superman -- though I was struck more by nostalgia than by any sense of its being out of place. Don't think I noticed the Elfman.

32 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Was DC trying to make him more like Spidey? I dunno.

Probably? It seems as likely an explanation as anything, to me.

6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Lol, they even call him Spider-Man in the Justice League Honest Trailer.  What's funny to me is I keep getting older, but the superheroes I grew up with keep getting younger.  I wonder how that works?

• Love 4
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Thank you! I feel really bad when I mess up or don't know the correct word, and stupid me, thinking those that close-caption the dialogue, know what they're doing.

No problem- I’ve just been watching a ton of YouTube clips by an Old Norse linguistic expert, who always qualifies that his translations use reconstructed pronunciation, “not modern Icelandic”- so it’s kind of drilled itself into my brain...

• Love 1

I caught this again on HBO, too. The best part of the movie is Diana punching Bruce after he mocked the advice that sounded as if it came from Steve Trevor. Yes, Diana, let the hate flow through you. Also, "I was running the numbers while you were being an ass." Hehe.

It's shame that it took three movies for them to let Superman actually act like Superman. He was ridiculously charming in this movie.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, PepSinger said:

It's shame that it took three movies for them to let Superman actually act like Superman. He was ridiculously charming in this movie.

I think Henry Cavil is a perfect match for the Superman role:  he can be likable and charming and sensitive as Clark/ Supes, and he just had too few opportunities to show it all off over this string of films.  Bonus points to him over Affleck, too, for not looking so miserable during BvS promotion that he became an existential angst meme.

I noticed in my prior post when I was talking about the first Earth assault on Steppenwolf, that my phone autocorrected “Atlanteans” to “Atlantans” and now I’m thinking the movie could have been improved by a bunch of Southerners, pissed off by 3-hour traffic jams, and fueled by cornbread and grits, taking out Steppenwolf alongside the others.  :-)

• Love 6
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

They were, and it was annoying as hell, and I normally enjoy Ezra Miller.

To be honest, I don't even recognize the Flash anymore.  When I was young, he appeared to be a middle aged well established superhero in Central Ciry, married to Iris and working in a crime lab.  Then they added in the bit about his mother being killed and his father being jailed for it.  Then on TV he's in his 20s, and has a whole support team around him to help him catch criminals.  Now in the movies he is cowardly, inexperienced, looks barely post pubescent, and acts like he is in high school.  He just pushes people and runs away.  Weird.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:
On 7/18/2018 at 3:14 PM, rmontro said:

They were, and it was annoying as hell, and I normally enjoy Ezra Miller.

Only quoting because I agree, and I was the one who asked that question, yet the quote was attributed to @rmontro ! But back to your point--it was beyond annoying and I've already stated how I feel about what those in charge of writing these characters are doing the actual characters a disservice. I'll stick to my Bruce Timm/Paul Dine/Alan Burnett, etc. animation, thankyouverymuch.

I think that one issue is that, when they were conceived (mostly in the Golden and Silver Ages), there was little to no attention given to individualizing DC's heroes' personalities (with the exception of Wonder Woman).  They were all heroic Gryffindors and the differences were mostly on the surface with their different powers and maybe a quirk thrown in (like Barry being habitually slow).  There was some attention paid to that after the Silver-Bronze transition c. 1969, but they didn't really dig into it until after the Crisis, and at that point Barry was dead and he stayed dead for a generation while Wally was The Flash.  So when Snyder and Terrio were sketching out the character mix for the JL and wanted to include a shy nerd, Barry was the obvious selection since Victor was a college football star and they already had Jason Momoa in mind for a 90's-esque Aquaman.

And personally I wouldn't call Barry "cowardly."  The whole point of the original story (meaning what Snyder and Terrio intended to tell before everything happened) was that these people who were hiding from and rejecting their gifts would discover (or re-discover, in the cases of Bruce and Diana) the hero within through being inspired by the sacrificial death of the man who could do anything and everything.  Barry has built himself a suit and is leveraging his powers already (witness both the "push some people and run away" and his apprehension of Captain Boomerang as shown in Suicide Squad), but he has never faced a truly powerful foe before.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I think that one issue is that, when they were conceived (mostly in the Golden and Silver Ages), there was little to no attention given to individualizing DC's heroes' personalities

Oh, you're right, of course.  Superheroes didn't start to have distinct personalities until Stan Lee and Jack Kirby brought out the Fantastic Four in 1961, and brought in the Marvel Age of Comics.  And this is why I find it so terribly, terribly sad that in this age where comic book movies are so successful, they haven't been able to make ONE Fantastic Four movie that is worthy of its source material.  It took awhile for DC to catch up and give their heroes personalities, and even longer for the Flash.

Another, more current trend, is to make the heroes younger and younger.  I guess this came from the X-Men, with its school setting full of teen mutant heroes?  So now the Flash is getting younger too.

One thing that bugs me about the Flash costume:  Are those electrical wires all over it to absorb the lightning when he runs (another new wrinkle, by the way), or are they just there to stitch the different armored plates together?

• Love 1

Yeah, late thoughts on this:

Steppenwolf was a lame videogame villain. And he went away, but I don't think they actually defeated him...? The team's victory was tempered for me because it seemed like he could still come back at any time.

Some of the heroes could have used more screentime for their stories. Since I'm fairly familiar with the characters, and I saw the previous films (even BvS, ::shudder::) I didn't have a huge problem with all of them teaming up - even though it was pretty convenient. (I can imagine it'd be odd for someone who is watching this completely fresh.) I can give a pass to Flash and Aquaman not getting much story/backstory onscreen; but I think Cyborg really should have had more of his origin story told here. He seemed to have the most interesting story that was related to the main story AND the villain, so I was disappointed that we didn't get more of him. And Ray Fischer probably got shafted because who knows if that Cyborg movie is ever happening.

I also noticed that Flash, Cyborg, and Wonder Woman were never referred to by their superhero names.

So much CGI! Which I get, but so much green screen. Re: moustache-gate - why would they even start the film with the worst shots of the CG'd upper lip? In a scene that wasn't necessary, since they never called back to it later??

I did like that Superman/Clark got to be more like ... Superman/Clark. Cavil definitely isn't the problem with Superman in these films.

Speaking of - I appreciated the gratuitous eye candy of Momoa and Cavil. :)

I did like most of the character interactions. I guess everyone thought the Aquaman/lasso scene was a highlight, but it didn't have the same impact on me because it seemed like those were things he would probably say out loud anyway, with or without the lasso.

This could have been better, but I don't think it was bad. I do want to see more of these characters... except maybe Batfleck, since he seems over it after 2 films already....

On 7/18/2018 at 4:24 AM, rmontro said:

Wasn't this version of the Flash heavily influenced by the TV show?  Specifically the effects with the lightning swirling around him when he runs, I don't remember that from the comics - or have they written that in lately? ....

To me, this was apparent from when they first announced Ezra Miller's casting. Plus, I'm pretty sure they echoed the TV Flash's theme/score in the movie (his big scene with WW's sword, was at least one instance). I got a kick out of that!

And the current TV Barry Allen has been getting Peter Parker comparisons from the start, But I don't think they're trying to mimic Spiderman. It's just similar "newbie superhero" tropes.

And yes, the swirls of electricity are now in the current Flash comics' artwork.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 4

I watched the Shazam trailer last night.  Looked kind of dumb, it appeared "Captain Marvel" (I guess they call him Shazam now, for legal reasons) retained Billy Batson's personality, for one thing.  I don't recall that being the case - IIRC, he had kind of a stripped down, inexperienced adult sort of personality.

Anyway, I'm not sure about the licensing deals and studios at play here.  Would Shazam be able to be featured in any future Justice League movies?  He has been a member in the comics.  I can see where they might not want to do it since his powers are similar to Superman's, but if his movie is successful why not?  But from what I saw, I don't expect it to be successful.

7 hours ago, Trini said:

And yes, the swirls of electricity are now in the current Flash comics' artwork.

Do you know if they started doing this before or after the TV show did?  

I've noticed with the Marvel comics, they've changed the art some so that many of the characters more resemble their movie counterparts.  Kind of bugs me, but it's understandable.