Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E11: Hammer Time

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I was wondering how much the judges knew about the food/history of what they were tasting. I'm assuming (dangerous, I know) that after the chefs chose their categories that the judges at least had a rundown of what was going on food-wise. So did they know that at that particular time in Japan that the Chinese influence was beginning to appear, or did they have to rely on Karen for that information. On one hand I liked the challenge because it gave the chefs the opportunity to learn about a specific time and place and produce a piece of food that's appropriate to it. It's harder to rely on your bag of tricks, unless you're smart like Amar and choose something you already know about and are good at. However, if the judges really knew little about the context of the food they were tasting, I kinda call foul on that because I think it's not right to hold someone up to a historical context that you aren't even sure about yourself.

However, if the judges really knew little about the context of the food they were tasting, I kinda call foul on that because I think it's not right to hold someone up to a historical context that you aren't even sure about yourself.

That is what production assistants are for-I am sure they did the same research as the cheftestants and told the judges about it in advance of the meal and likely in advance of the "sniff and sneer"

• Love 1

Heh. I had a friend in San Rafael that I used to visit a lot. I always had to get the "80" freeways straight every single dang time I drove or flew (into Oakland airport) up there. And I still got lost occasionally in those pre-GPS days. I even ended up on the Carquinez Bridge once (but I think that was trying to get to Vallejo from San Rafael). And don't ask me about the time I tried to get to a friend's house in Castro Valley, and it was getting dark, and I could not find the right connection. It was like trying to get to Narnia or something.

Oh, worlds of word. People, you have no idea how spot-on this is. (unless you live around here.) The Maze is like a demon portal of random lostness.

Sorry-- end tangent.

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 4

I thought Jeremy's drumming was as excruciating as Craig's rapping.  Why are they choosing guest judges who have no connection at all to food?  It's not like he's a hot current celebrity who would bring in viewers.  Weird choices.

Because Hammer is a local Bay Area guy, and it was a quickfire.  This wasn't all that far fetched for a quickfire.  They're all about thinking on your feet.

Jeremy comes across as a really really dumb guy. Very nice, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I appreciate that they all seem to genuinely care about one another, lack of sniping makes for a much better season in my book.  

Oh, worlds of word. People, you have no idea how spot-on this is. (unless you live around here.) The Maze is like a demon portal of random lostness.

I liked the Narnia part.  I won't go on 980 because it isn't real - aka they put it in recently and I don't know where it goes.  

Yesterday I drove on 80 to 680 to 580 to 238 to 880 to 84.

• Love 3

I didn't miss Philip, either. It did seem to me that there was a different vibe among the rest of the chefs with him gone, more relaxed, less tense. Not real happy Karen went home, I really thought it was time for Jeremy to go. He irritates me. I'm not totally sold on Amar yet. I do like Issac though. On the fence about Marjorie too, and Kwame better step it up more. Carl, I kept forgetting he was still there. After that most random of raps, I know he's there now! And I will forever remember him as such. MC Hammer, though I like him, was about the last person I would have thought of for a judge. But, ok, weird things happen. The thing that bugged me about Jeremy's stuff was, he was cooking for Easterners who moved west and ate in restaurants or some such, well............most miners didn't eat in restaurants. I'm not explaining this well. At any rate, they kept using the terms "miners" for whom they were cooking for and I didn't think it was aptly applied. I thought it was an awesome idea for a challenge though, surprised it hasn't been used before. I'd watch an episode with that challenge any day.

• Love 2

The thing that bugged me about Jeremy's stuff was, he was cooking for Easterners who moved west and ate in restaurants or some such, well............most miners didn't eat in restaurants. I'm not explaining this well. At any rate, they kept using the terms "miners" for whom they were cooking for and I didn't think it was aptly applied.

Well, you know who opened a restaurant in San Francisco sometime after 1846?

One of the Donner Party survivors.

That could have been a really interesting twist on the challenge.

• Love 13

I thought MC Hammer was great. He's smart and well spoken, artculate. Hes a preacher now, so he's good with people and communicating (one hopes). He seemed like a great guest judge to me. I liked the energy he brought as well.

I think what did it in for Karen was at the end, Padma asked her if she thought her Chinese cooking got in the way of the "Japanese" theme, and Karen agreed with a big smile. I think she was trying to be respectful, but she should have then said, "Well, actually, I read that at that time in history China was an influence on Japanese food... " blah blah, instead of saying that she ended up incorporating flavors she already knew. That diffused the effort she put into really learning about her region, which she did. I don't think it came off that way with the judges-- that she knew her region. Also, she pouted in front of Padma when she got Japan, and said that she wanted China, so that also might have been against her when her food tasted Chinese. Or she might have just made what she wanted and thrown in the Chinese influence to cover her ass.

It appears that the cheftestants like Phillip more than the viewing audience does. We must not be getting something. 

Marjorie needs to cut it out with the bread. Both breads she used/ made this episode put her in the bottom. 

Carl is full of shit??? I mean, really, he stayed up all night writing rhymes the night MC Hammer CD came out, right after buying it. Doubt that. He has a story for everything, He had a story with the fish tacos (did the same thing in Nicaraga, after stepping onto the beach and saying, "This place needs fish tacos!" And he had TWO stories for his milkshake. 

• Love 3

I thought Jeremy's drumming was as excruciating as Craig's rapping

I get that people want Jeremy to go home but he didn't perform by himself they all chose instruments anx jammed. It's a room where it literally rains twice on the hour and the guests seemed to lIke it.

• Love 3

Did anyone miss Man Bun? Anyone? Bueller?

Unfortunately it looks like he returns as a not-so-helpful helper. I have had enough of that presumptuous, clueless jerk to last a lifetime.

Ugh, and it looks like Kwame gets stuck with him.  He had better not bring Kwame into the bottom, although given ManBun's personality he just might.

Ditto the library love aspect of it - I thought this was a great challenge that set clear parameters but really let the chefs run with it.

I for sure thought Jeremy was gone, since it didn't sound like there was anything wrong with Karen's other than her misfire on China v. Japan. On Last Chance Kitchen, though (no spoilers), there was a clip from the judges conversation that made it sound like her soup broth maybe didn't taste all that great. If Jeremy's chowder was okay other than the lack of crab/substance, I can see that beating out a soup from the wrong country that also didn't taste super. 

I could have seen it go either way.  I think Jeremy just was more a matter of misreading the challenge.  I think he felt it should be chowder, but elevated and refined which meant no big hearty bowl of soup, but rather a fancy interpretation of the soup, without the crab meat because it wasn't refined enough or whatever.  I agreed with the guest chef, I would have wanted a hearty soup, but I think if he had used the exact same thing, made it a little more of a soup and put in some crab meat he would have been fine.  But with Karen, she just used the wrong things for the challenge.  For the judges, the flavors themselves didn't meet the challenge, because even the broth had too much of a chinese influence, so her flavors were off for the challenge.  But I thought any of the three of them could go home and it would have been understandable.

Well, you know who opened a restaurant in San Francisco sometime after 1846?

One of the Donner Party survivors.

That could have been a really interesting twist on the challenge.

Would have definitely required more meat in the chowder!  Maybe a shell or two to mimic the crunch of a random toenail.

• Love 2

Okay I am on Padma's side regarding the paratha roti, watching Marjorie make it was slightly horrifying if you know what's supposed to be happening. Besides deep-frying it in a pan full of burning ghee - the whole point of brushing the dough with ghee is is to encourage flaky layers. Kind of like the puff pastry process. Brush, turn and knead, rest. She didn't seem to have the time needed so that would have contributed to the tough texture. Hers just looked super thin and layerless when the name literally means layered dough. Obvious disaster imo.

1 billion plus people eat Indian food, it wasn't really that obscure of a nitpick though I know we hate Padma's judgey face.

MC Hammer didn't seem any worse than other local celebs they've had. I thought he seemed nice though the challenge was silly.

Does "pink dragon" sound like a vagina euphemism to anyone else lol.

Edited by innocuouspuff
  • Love 3

A lot of people would argue with you about the state of rap and hip-hop today, but I'm not the right person to do it, and this definitely isn't the right place. 

I have one thing to say-I call bull shit on them coming up the name, the idea for the dish to tie to the name and then THE DISH in 30 minutes, especially when they did not know the proteins available.

I'm sure most people came up with a dish and then a name and/or a generic name that you could talk your way into "fitting" whatever your dish was. 

• Love 3

For some reason, I was just thinking about how lucky we were that Philip wasn't around this week for this challenge.  Can you imagine how insufferable he would have been, especially since he believes himself to an expert on all things food-related?  We dodged the bullet.

• Love 15

That moment when Padma asked Kwame to rap was so. freaking. awkward. Carl asked if he could and was so good humored and self deprecating it was charming. Kwame just had me cringing with embarrassment for him.

I know Padma was probably asking at the request of the producers who know about his past in the rap game, but aesthetically, that just looked bad -- the one black contestant being asked if he'd like to rap. I think that's what prompted the kiss. In addition to Kwame's visible awkwardness and embarrassment, I think it hit Padma mid producer ploy what her request might look like.

I too thought Jeremy was the one going home, and quite frankly, I think Karen deserved to stay over him.

• Love 4

I'm not too torn up about the Karen/Jeremy debacle. I think it was really just a matter of time for both of them. Ever since they introduced LCK, I haven't been super invested in who leaves, especially since they are fully aware that they have a chance to redeem themselves. The only time I was upset with an elimination was Kristen's season and we know how that ends. My money is on Amar to win this season but I am also really hoping for Kwame. If any of the others fight their way back, more power to them.

• Love 2

I think the Gold Rush meal could easily have been almost identical to the Belle Epoque meal, especially in terms of expensive ingredients.  The restaurant business in San Francisco kind of starts with this time period since the place suddenly filled up with single men living in boarding houses who needed other people to cook their meals. Cheap stew would be the order of the day for that market, but it's easy to see why Jeremy wouldn't have gone for that on this show.   For the ones who'd struck it rich they would have wanted the fanciest possible food they could imagine, now that they could afford it - Jeremy could have done, I don't know, pheasant and foie gras and ice cream coated in gold leaf.  You know, lottery winner food. 

ETA: I couldn't make out all of the other locations that didn't get chosen.  It looked like somewhere in North Africa, somewhere in West Africa, and maybe Persia?  Nobody took Mexico? or was that even a choice?

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2

For some reason, I was just thinking about how lucky we were that Philip wasn't around this week for this challenge.  Can you imagine how insufferable he would have been, especially since he believes himself to an expert on all things food-related?  We dodged the bullet.

He could have explained food history to the judges, and he wouldn't have felt the need to read any books or do any research since he knows everything.  And he could have presented his dish as his interpretation of what everyone SHOULD have been eating.  Or he could have gotten caveman and served his food on a dirty rock.  The possibilities for mind blowing delusions were so high!

• Love 5

ETA: I couldn't make out all of the other locations that didn't get chosen.  It looked like somewhere in North Africa, somewhere in West Africa, and maybe Persia?  Nobody took Mexico? or was that even a choice?

Italy was one of the choices (and I would have liked to see that simply because I love Italian food).

• Love 1

My take on celebrity judges varies according to who the judge is and how they behave. I was NOT impressed with Chrissy Teigen or whoever she was. Giggle giggle, innuendo, giggle and bounce just doesn't appeal to me, which is all I got out of that little bit. I didn't have a problem with Hammer showing up because he wasn't acting a fool. He tasted the food, talked about what he liked or didn't like and announced a winner, which is really all I want out of a judge. I sometimes wonder if Padma's comments influence the guest judge, or if she has any say over the winner - I honestly can't tell with the slicing and dicing done in the editing process.

Just because someone isn't a food "professional" doesn't mean he/she doesn't understand what's good food. The quickfire challenge is pretty straightforward and isn't elimination, so I don't see the harm in having a mere human (meaning someone whose only tie to food is enjoying a good meal) do the judging. If it helps tie in to the location and adds a little personality to the segment, why not? I remember in the New Orleans Top Chef Dr. John was a quickfire judge. I will never forget that because it introduced us to the phrase "hip-tang." I'm sure there were plenty of other culinary options the show could have tagged for that quickfire segment, but having a great local musician added a bit of Nola flair to the challenge and we have a new go-to phrase in our vernacular. Hammer wasn't quite as colorful as Dr. John was, however now I know he's from Oakland and that he's still alive and well (because you never know these days). Plus we got a few chefs doing the Hammer Walk or whatever it's called.

• Love 13

Okay I am on Padma's side regarding the paratha roti...Hers just looked super thin and layerless when the name literally means layered dough. Obvious disaster imo.

But there is a version of paratha called "tissue prata" (common in Singapore and Malaysia) that is in fact "super thin and layerless," and crispy instead of soft and doughy, no? Marjorie just needs to learn to bullshit better spin better stories.

• Love 1

But there is a version of paratha called "tissue prata" (common in Singapore and Malaysia) that is in fact "super thin and layerless,"

What Marjorie made didn't look anything like roti tissue.  Even if it had she would indeed have had to do some bullshitting to explain what it had to do with the food of the ancient Indus Valley.  Mostly she should have seen herself that the paratha looked terrible to the point of inedible - I was especially surprised since she has done so well on TC with her baked goods.  The rest of her food must have been pretty good to make up for it.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

I know Killer Fatigue is an Amazing Race phenomenon, but the paratha seemed like Marjorie's KF moment. It was an extraneous element that wouldn't have affected her dish in any way to hold back... and she still sent it out. 

They're always lectured about editing, but it's often not possible to edit after the fact. This was a rare case when she could have. Total unforced error. I'm assuming the food was fairly good otherwise, medium rare notwithstanding.

I thought it would be Jeremy's turn based on the critique, but they all seemed to have some pretty big negatives.

• Love 3

i kind thought Phillip should be in this episode.  Would have been funny to see him be the center of attention and attempt to rap .....that would have been funny.

When Padma announced the rap name challenge, I told the TV, "Oh, thank God Phillip is gone." He would have made Carl look like Dr. Dre.

I think that the person who got the Gold Rush could have made a version of the Hangtown Fry, which was definitely a gold rush dish.

Perfect. Yeah, when I heard "gold rush", I immediately pictured a tin camping pan, and some dish made up of stirred together stuff with a hunk of sourdough on top.

• Love 1

I really, really wanted someone in the QF to bust out the verse in Rapper's Delight about the bad dinner at the friend's house, because that verse never fails to make me laugh and is relevant to a cooking show.

Someone needs to check the chyron writer; the Belle Epoch didn't start in 1817, but in 1871.

• Love 6

He could have explained food history to the judges, and he wouldn't have felt the need to read any books or do any research since he knows everything.  And he could have presented his dish as his interpretation of what everyone SHOULD have been eating.  Or he could have gotten caveman and served his food on a dirty rock.  The possibilities for mind blowing delusions were so high!

And you KNOW he would have to rap. Scared to imagine his rap name.

• Love 1

I thought Pink Dragon sounded like something they'd sell at Toys in Babeland. And if it wasn't, it probably will be soon.

I thought the same thing! I was like, "OK, there has GOT to be a sex toy called Pink Dragon someplace."

I was laughing and saying, out loud, "This is so dumb" when they announce the Quickfire. And when Carl started talking about his love of hip-hop and how he used to make beats, I was like "Oh no," and then when he asked Hammer to drop a beat I was like "OH NO HE IS NOT ... oh dear, he totally is." I was cringing.

I didn't notice how Marjorie punches people, but that would get on my nerves It's like that Friends episode.

• Love 4

I think that the person who got the Gold Rush could have made a version of the Hangtown Fry, which was definitely a gold rush dish.

I have never heard of this so I goggled and this would have been brilliant.  I was thinking of what my mom used to call Hobo Dinners....

Someone mentioned not having Viking restaurants....as a scandanavian I will tell you there is a reason (outside of Aquavit)...I joke I am pro-immigration for the food.  I was expecting fish of some type.

Edited by SingleMaltBlonde
  • Love 5

I laughed when Padma told Kwame that it was brave of him to rap, when Carl just rapped minutes before.

I'm glad Isaac did a good job. I'm hoping that he wins. I like everyone this season which is rare for me

I have never heard of this so I goggled and this would have been brilliant.  I was thinking of what my mom used to call Hobo Dinners....

Someone mentioned not having Viking restaurants....as a scandanavian I will tell you there is a reason (outside of Aquavit)...I joke I am pro-immigration for the food.  I was expecting fish of some type.

I'm totally jonesing for some Hangtown Fry now. Mmmmmm.

Yeah, I immediately thought of fish when Isaac got Vikings. It seemed a natural default -- some kind of gravlax deal.

I laughed when Padma told Kwame that it was brave of him to rap, when Carl just rapped minutes before.

I found it interesting as well but figured to most of the folks, Kwame is very endearing, often seems like a deer in the headlights and people can't help but be kind to him.  He's appears to be such a sweetie pie.

With all this talk of Marjorie's failed paratha attempt, I'm dying for some good Indian takeout.

• Love 3

I was thinking the exact same thing.  "At my restaurants, my nickname is P. Lee The OG, so I'll just go with that.".

I did howl with glee when Issak went for those tree slices for plates.  Because I am sure Phillip was at home just fuming and not seeing the difference between his dirty rock and it's poor reception, and Issak's thoughtfully, appropriately and sanitarily plated viking dish.  It has to be sticking in his craw.  Love it.

It would have been BRILLIANT.  *drool*

Karen went out with real class and grace, I thought.  That's the way you treat an opportunity of that magnitude, Grayson.  Rewind and watch it again Ms. Grumperson.

• Love 7

I was thinking the exact same thing.  "At my restaurants, my nickname is P. Lee The OG, so I'll just go with that.".

I did howl with glee when Issak went for those tree slices for plates.  Because I am sure Phillip was at home just fuming and not seeing the difference between his dirty rock and it's poor reception, and Issak's thoughtfully, appropriately and sanitarily plated viking dish.  It has to be sticking in his craw.  Love it.

It would have been BRILLIANT.  *drool*

Karen went out with real class and grace, I thought.  That's the way you treat an opportunity of that magnitude, Grayson.  Rewind and watch it again Ms. Grumperson.

Oh, I'm sure ManBun is writing the long and thoughtful rant as we speak, about how this is just another sign that the judges hated him personally because they just couldn't understand his brilliant food.  I mean, it really is unfair.  ManBun serves an oyster on a dirty rock in the middle of the desert and no one appreciates it.   Issac serves a delicious meal inspired by Vikings on a natural wood plate and everyone applauds him.  Its so unfair!

How funny, I've pretty much forgotten about Grayson.  ManBun stole all her shine.

• Love 2

This was one of the few episodes where I could accurately predict who'd be packing his/her knives (I'm usually a dunce at that). With the animated talking heads she was giving, I knew Karen would be either the winner or loser; however, when she seemed to force too many Chinese flavors into her region's dish, I knew she'd be going. And by no means am I an expert on the many different regional cuisines of Asia and the various eras, but she reminded me of me when I'm BSing. Like, I believed what she said--that Chinese influences were appearing in Japanese food--I just thought she went a little overboard with the Chinese flavor profile.

About the challenge, though, I was one confused viewer! I've always thought that each chef was to add his/her style the challenge's parameters. But in this case I guess the judges wanted more literal interpretations. I didn't see the problem with Jeremy's dish because I thought he just modernized a chowder, but maybe I missed something. And when they were talking about the meat being too rare, I was all, "C'mon! You'd have been seething if you were given a well-done protein, you mercurial judges."

To wrap up: Karen gave one hell of a classy exit! That's the way to do it.

Edited by Rockfish
  • Love 6

Lytefisk!  gag

• Love 2

There's got to be a whole story behind why Grayson came back and why things went so sour, but I doubt we'll ever know exactly what happened, though I'm surely curious. I agree that Karen handled things very, very well. I don't mind people being angry, or shocked, but going out all pissy and cussy really gets me. I mean, you are on tv! But I guess it comes down to personality. I do hope Karen comes back, I really was impressed by her. And as a total aside, Marjorie looked really pretty in the one TH when she had the printed top on.

• Love 1

LOL....you know when I think of Scandinavian/Viking food, I almost automatically think of Rose on Golden Girls.

Many of you probably don't watch GG, but if you do, you know what I'm talking about!

For those of you who want a little GG food humor...the sound is terrible, but its still funny

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

Sometimes with these types of challenges the chefs want an "interpretation" and sometimes they was "authentic," and I feel like it's not always clearly explained to the chefs. That happened with the Beefsteak challenge earlier this season (although honestly, I think the chefs are more to blame for that misunderstanding - it was pretty obvious that event was supposed to be a bacchanal) also.

So I was surprised they bitched at Marjorie for the medium rare cook on her lamb - just because that's it was cooked through back then doesn't mean we want to eat it that way now. Imagine if "Mid-Century America" was an era and someone made a casserole with condensed cream of X soup as a base. In Jeremy's case I think there's a line between making an elegant chowder that's still rich and feels like a chowder and a thin, soupy thing. 

I was super worried about Kwame during the sniff & sneer, he's been so off his game lately, so I'm glad he pulled it off in the end. Isaac serving on the wood made me laugh - suck it Philip. 

I'm OK with MC Hammer being there - when you say "Oakland" to me, the only things that come to mind immediately are the sportsball teams and MC Hammer... I watched a lot of Behind the Music as a kid so I knew the whole Ballboy/Batboy story already. 

Ugh. OT, but the only dude in my one "women's studies" course in college was such a fucking DudeBro, I can't even imagine anyone hooking up with him. (I also tell people the one thing I learned from the course (Women in US History 1492-1865) was not to take another class with Women in the title. I guess that makes me a bad feminist but it was painful)

At least two of us in my "Intro to Women's Studies" class hooked up with the only guy in the class that semester..

• Love 4

I really wish Jeremy would have gone home because of course he's thatguy who can't help his deep-seated need to enthrall a restaurant full of people with his mad drum skillz. Tool.

WORD.  I didn't like him before but this episode made me REALLY dislike him.  I wish he would have gone home for his chowder sauce.  For Gold Rush I expected him to make a really layered stew and serve it in a tin pan or something--maybe more rustic?

I guess I just don't get him.

Go Issac and I totally want to take a road trip to his restaurant. 

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 1

There was a big article in the paper today about making this episode and particularly the quickfire.  Apparently Isaac's dish won by a landslide and Padma had to coach MC Hammer on how not to make it obvious when they were tasting.  He did well.

This quickfire has finally put Marcel's "rapping" firmly in the Top Chef past.  Hooray!

• Love 2