Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, millennium said:

Nobody likes the truth.

I can understand complaints about the vulgarity; maybe the WHCA could have taken that into consideration and hired a less provocative comic, or someone more established and not so invested in making a name for themselves by going for the jugular.   I don't think ending the tradition altogether was the right move.

The Correspondents’ Dinner was once a very private, largely male affair that had an element of stag about it.  The point was to make fun of themselves.  Do not recall how it became so public and as sought after as the Oscars for an invite.  The raunchiness and the “jugularity” was the point.

The public nature of the event does call for more decorum, I guess.

• Love 2

It's official.  Meek-a is now once and truly the future third ex-Mrs. Scarborough.  Lovebirds tied the knot this week-end.  They won't be on MJ all this week because..........eeeeeeeew.  I don't wanna think about it. 😝

• Love 2

I know there was a good 20 seconds bleeped out for Tina Brown this morning but I believe this Page Six article provides some context:

https://pagesix.com/2017/11/14/trump-once-poured-wine-down-journalists-back-tina-browns-book-claims/

And I believe this is the article that set him off:

https://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2015/07/donald-ivana-trump-divorce-prenup-marie-brenner

Edited by Chloesmom
  • Love 3

Oh my God, Sam Stein's face when Noah was blathering on about climate change . . . priceless.  Nice, civil discussion and it's good to hear a differing viewpoint from someone whose view  is solely based on picking capitalism over the environment instead of trying to wrap into other BS.

I haven't been closely watching but as usual the show is so much better without them.  Good conversation that flows nicely into more than one pet discussion.  I hope they enjoy SFO, maybe they'll stay there.

• Love 5

I had to switch off during Noah Rothman's smug denial of climate change.  My home has flooded several times in the last decade, when it never had before.   I now live in fear of rainstorms because it seems we rarely get a mere rainstorm anymore.   It's always "heavy downpour" and "flash flood alert" with an average 2" of rain in every event.   Record heat.  Record cold.   It was never like this before.    The past six months have been nearly constant gray skies and rain several times a week, often heavy.   My backyard is a big wet sponge.  I haven't been able to do laundry here in weeks without risking a septic overflow.   It doesn't take scientists to make me realize weather patterns have become more punishing over a relatively short span of time

• Love 7

Punchable Noah Rothman is sooooo disingenuous, presenting the Bernie Sanders' "Medicare for All" as the *only* potential path toward single payer health care.

The congresswoman from Connecticut tripped up a bit on her initial response but recovered shortly thereafter.

• Love 2

Maybe Noah should listen to the fire chiefs out in CA who said the reason these fires are so much worse than before is that the undergrowth in forests used to stay somewhat damp, but now with the never ending droughts, it's like additional kindling. 

Fortunately I turned it off when I saw Noah.  I don't know what it is with NBC/MSNBC constantly having these climate deniers on. It isn't a "differing opinion".  It's like booking someone who doesn't believe in math. Or gravity. 

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, stormy said:

When Noah started talking anti climate change and rattling off reports that have since proven incorrect (by him I guess), I'm thinking, Noah, Noah, Noah.

It's time for him to go 

There's something terribly ironic about a man named Noah denying that disastrous weather is coming.

• Love 21

Why in God's name did I go looking for the clip on the climate change discussion? Oh that's right, to re confirm my belief that Noah Rothman is insufferable. He sits there and denies something he said not three minutes earlier. "I never said we shouldn't do something".    I swear to God they all take a class in gas lighting.  Apparently Noah is one of those who doesn't think the cameras are turned on and recording. 

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/noah-rothman-battles-morning-joe-on-climate-report-projections-should-be-looked-at-with-skepticism/

• Love 3

As soon as Rothman opened his mouth, I knew a bunch of crap was going to spill out. The very words, "Trump has a point" should be grounds for immediate derision if not dismissal from any intelligent conversation. The idea that scientists have had to come back and correct numbers one way or the other does not negate the trend. Science is not perfect especially when trying to estimate the exact trajectory of current numbers. Plus, scientists aren't supposed to factor in what humans might do or invent or discover to change or lessen the impact, unless specifically asked to. They are giving you an educated prediction based on current trends, ALL OTHER FACTORS REMAINING THE SAME. The fact he's making a comparison between "Detroit's" decision to manufacture smaller cars in light of their supposition that gas would be scarcer and more expensive, but then technology intervened to help the situation, and so consumers didn't buy as many smaller cars does not negate the fact that, indeed, we needed to be more fuel efficient as gasoline is not infinite and much of it is located in parts of the world with whom we shouldn't even have normal relations. (Why do you think we've had all these middle east wars?) FURTHERMORE, one of the reasons for relying less on gas is that it's contributing to -- guess what -- climate change! You utter, dufus, Rothman. 

• Love 7

Aww.  I came here to slam Noah Rothman, but you all did it far more cleverly.   I had a super busy day, but this morning his grossness stuck with me all day and here I am.  I wonder if that fucker ate any romaine lettuce recently, or did he find the 1 dissenting scientist so now bacteria and disease are not things?

Edited by Landsnark
  • Love 4

What a great episode this morning.  Love the big brains at the table being allowed to speak and express themselves.  Guess what, when they're not being brow beaten and passive aggressively diminished by an overbearing personality, there's a lot of sharp, fun, well-expressed characters among our group of regulars.
Heidi's Posture deserves its own chat board.  It's meme-able.  Ripe for punny fun.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

What a great episode this morning.  Love the big brains at the table being allowed to speak and express themselves.  Guess what, when they're not being brow beaten and passive aggressively diminished by an overbearing personality, there's a lot of sharp, fun, well-expressed characters among our group of regulars.
Heidi's Posture deserves its own chat board.  It's meme-able.  Ripe for punny fun.

Exactly Landsnark.   It's amazing the difference in the guests between MJ and especially Nicolle's show.  The conversation flows, has great debates and more than a few genuine laughs.  I feel like I am a part of that conversation as I am drawn into it (and not nervously fumbling for the remote as with MJ).

• Love 4

ITA Landsnark & Chloesmom.  I had the show on until 7:30 or so. I can not believe what a difference it makes with Joe & Mika not there. It's an actual news/political discussion show. No yelling, no making faces at the camera, no pawing each other. I was going to say no eye rolling, but when they showed the Corsi interview and Willie said "I thought a couple people were going to pass out from the eye rolling at him".   Maybe we should get Jerome Nostradamus there to give us Powerball numbers for this week. 

Loved the pushback Eddie Glaude gave Kasie on her comment about Adam Schiff better be careful about crossing the line on investigating the Trump/Russia meetings.  

I am going to email MSNBC re Willie & Heidi hosting this show and how much better it is. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, stormy said:

Eddie and Kasie are on permanent mute for me.

I just liked that Eddie explained that it's about democracy, not worrying about how it plays on tv or with Trump's base.   

Heidi & Willie should host.   MSNBC might win this time slot if they did. 

• Love 6

OMG. So Willie just played a clip of losing presidential candidate John Kerry not ruling out a presidential run in 2020 and, literally, NOT ONE PERSON ON THE PANEL raised an eyebrow. They are actually mentioning him as a serious contender. 

Tryng to imagine the reaction we’d be seeing if it had been Hillary.

Just astonished at the double standard.

ETA, I’m not a Willie fan either, and Kasie has lost her appeal for me since she got her own show and became a mini Check Todd Beltway pundit.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 6

I’m really enjoying listening this week.  Even guests who annoy me when J&M host seem tolerable.  Interesting and diverse discussions, no shouting and trying to get the attention of the WH occupant. It’s civilised. 

I love Heidi too, and not keen on Kasie or Katty but frankly I’ll take anyone over J&M.  

• Love 5

Mr. Kemper and I are back  to being in  same room, watching together, since the Happy Couple are on their honeymoon.  Can't believe the difference when the host and guests are mostly sitting around the same table!  What a concept.  Good show.  And Willie is not boring me to death

I enjoyed seeing R Emmanuel dodging the question of whether or not he will run for something after his mayoral term is over; his hair looks thicker.  Wonder why.  Even though The Gold Dust Twins are not here, I can't just put away the shallow.  Are they still rerunning the first hour at 8:00?  If so...shame.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Kemper said:

Mr. Kemper and I are back  to being in  same room, watching together, since the Happy Couple are on their honeymoon.  Can't believe the difference when the host and guests are mostly sitting around the same table!  What a concept.  Good show.  And Willie is not boring me to death

I enjoyed seeing R Emmanuel dodging the question of whether or not he will run for something after his mayoral term is over; his hair looks thicker.  Wonder why.  Even though The Gold Dust Twins are not here, I can't just put away the shallow.  Are they still rerunning the first hour at 8:00?  If so...shame.

Ok Kemper my friend this made me laugh out loud.  So glad you and Mr. Kemper are able to have breakfast together this week . . . :)

I am sorry I missed today's show as I love me some Steve Rattner but am not sorry I missed Rahm.  Hopefully Chicago can start to recover now that he is moving on and my sincere apologies to whoever ends up with him.

And in closing, I am hoping they are still re-running the last hour as they are just idling until they launch a new and interesting show.  I had heard that Willie is moving onto bigger and better things at NBC and I hope they make a wise/fun choice for the all important morning show so guests won't be afraid to you know . . . speak.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

but am not sorry I missed Rahm.  Hopefully Chicago can start to recover now that he is moving on and my sincere apologies to whoever ends up with him

He was very impressive.  I had never heard more cogently and succinctly put what is wrong with the Dems, why they lost to Trump, and specifically what they need to do to win back the WH.  Simple clarity.  Such a gift while the odd couple are off doing it on their honeymoon.  heh heh  gross
There was no contrived locker room banter about the Bears, Cubs, Bulls, Blackhawks, etc...

Also, weirdly, and it pains me to say, it was Barnicle who set the stage well for Rahm to describe the state of things.  He asked him if the Democrats are again going "to make the mistake again of focusing on cultural and identity issues instead of political issues."   I was like, lookit you, Barnicle.  You got something right.  The streak ends here.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, The Solution said:

I am a long-time fan of Willie and would gladly watch this show even in primetime if Willie were the permanent host.

I could maybe do without Barnicle still.

Willie lost me forever when the compilations of his sexism and homophobia came out. There’s a reason he’s ok with being Joe Scarborough television son, I guess.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

They are having Trump on live, so I tuned out.  Ya lost me this morning MSNBC.  Know your audience.

It's the G20 Summit. They have to cover it. They were hoping when the new Nafta 2.0 trade agreement was signed, they would take some questions from the press.  Trump was probably told "sign it and get the F out of there".  

It was fun to watch just to see Trudeau side eye Trump so hard.   

17 hours ago, Landsnark said:

mistake again of focusing on cultural and identity issues instead of political issues.

He's right and this is why O'Rourke is being touted as a 2020 potential. He is able to do what Obama did, get everyone together to see that we all do better when we ALL do better.  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, WhineandCheez said:

Willie lost me forever when the compilations of his sexism and homophobia came out.

WHAT????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????  Willie is being accused of stuff?? Provide......

Provide it in the hosts thread, please.

22 hours ago, Landsnark said:

He was very impressive.  I had never heard more cogently and succinctly put what is wrong with the Dems, why they lost to Trump, and specifically what they need to do to win back the WH.  Simple clarity.  Such a gift while the odd couple are off doing it on their honeymoon.  heh heh  gross
There was no contrived locker room banter about the Bears, Cubs, Bulls, Blackhawks, etc...

Also, weirdly, and it pains me to say, it was Barnicle who set the stage well for Rahm to describe the state of things.  He asked him if the Democrats are again going "to make the mistake again of focusing on cultural and identity issues instead of political issues."   I was like, lookit you, Barnicle.  You got something right.  The streak ends here.

Fair enough as I didn't see the segment so I shouldn't weigh in on him but I will just say this.  The Emanuels are a very gifted bunch especially when it comes to speech.  I am sure he was very eloguent in his segment but living in the suburbs of Chicago I know his legacy.  He talks a good game but doesn't deliver.  He couldn't be elected the proverbial dog catcher in this city anymore and to be honest I am shocked he is sticking around.  Must be more money to be made.  The only Emanuel I have any use for is his brother Dr. Zeke Emanuel.  He had worked hard to move affordable healthcare forward and I thank him every day for that.

5 hours ago, teddysmom said:

It's the G20 Summit. They have to cover it.

Ok, I have to say I was in and out of their coverage but there was a point that the camera was trained on the empty podiums and Willie and co. were chatting in the background.  What caught my attention was when they were musing why Ivanka was seated in the front row as it reminded me of an episode of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 as they must have mused on that for a good two or three minutes and I could totally picture myself sitting with them chatting about the same thing as it was totally something that is rattling around in your brain and not proper news which I love them for . . . :)

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Ok, I have to say I was in and out of their coverage but there was a point that the camera was trained on the empty podiums and Willie and co. were chatting in the background.  What caught my attention was when they were musing why Ivanka was seated in the front row as it reminded me of an episode of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 as they must have mused on that for a good two or three minutes and I could totally picture myself sitting with them chatting about the same thing as it was totally something that is rattling around in your brain and not proper news which I love them for . . . :)

I think we all MST3K this show every day. We're just not sitting in the front row with robots. 

13 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

The Emanuels are a very gifted bunch

Rahm was the inspiration for Josh Lyman.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, stormy said:

'm getting sick of Emily Jane Fox. I know she's the go to Michael Cohen expert but I would rather get Donnie's tidbits or a lawyer's expert analysis.

ITA.  When she started in about the Trump kids this morning and their participation in the Russia stuff, I wondered if that's what she & Mika bonded over,  Mika has had a burning rage since  Ivanka ghosted her after the inauguration.  And there's Emily writing a book trashing them, it's a match made in heaven. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, stormy said:

I'm getting sick of Emily Jane Fox. I know she's the go to Michael Cohen expert but I would rather get Donnie's tidbits or a lawyer's expert analysis.

OMG, me too! She is milking that Cohen connection for all it is worth, and I pray her 15 minutes soon comes to an end.  I honestly don’t understand why she was invited to the wedding instead of others JoeMeeka have known way longer. 

I guess she’s now the designated go-to Scarzinski expert as well.

• Love 1

Regarding Emily Jane.  What is with the "girly" summery dresses?  The one she had on yesterday look exactly like a Jessica McLintock one my daughter wore to a dance, maybe in the 80's/90's.  She is kind of dead-to-me after the wedding reporting.  But I love her haircut. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Eliot said:

Oh jeez. Peggy Noonan. It’s way worse than I expected.

Mika’s hairdo is...unfortunate.

And leading the chorus of love for Reagan . . . jfc.  No Peggy, we don't all have the same recollections/warm memories you constantly insist we do.

And to be honest, I didn't even notice Meek's hair as I couldn't take my eyes off her chest (it seems to be larger/lopsided).  Oh now I see her hair . . . eeek.

• Love 2