Type keyword(s) to search

Modern Family in the Media

The only thing I have seen that is a direct quote from  Christopher Lloyd says “significant character” which to me indicates it’s not a main character. Writers of the various pieces taken from that one interview have chosen to change his word choice to “main” because they are bad at their jobs.

• Love 6

Is Alex still with her firefighter boyfriend?    She seems extremely unlucky in love.  A guy finally likes her.  The writers seem to like to dump on that character so I wonder if it will be her boyfriend.  

41 minutes ago, tribeca said:

Is Alex still with her firefighter boyfriend?    She seems extremely unlucky in love.  A guy finally likes her.  The writers seem to like to dump on that character so I wonder if it will be her boyfriend.  

As of last season she still is. Also as for boyfriends I was thinking maybe one of Haley’s?(I may have mentioned this in a previous post) but there are only two who would make an impact: Dylan or Andy. And honestly while the family would be sad for either I’m not sure it would impact all of the three families.

Also Sarah was on e tonight and said it will be sad but done tastefully and still be funny. I.. what?  I feel like whoever it is it’s going to be a disappointment. 

• Love 1

So help me god if they kill off Stella I will send letters. Lots and lots of angry letters.

I have a Frenchie myself and there is zero chance I will be able to handle watching an episode about a dog's passing. Please be a human, please be a human, please be a human.

My current vote is for Dede or Pam. I'm now wondering if it will be Dylan though, but that seems far-fetched as I don't know how it would affect Jay/Gloria and Mitch/Cam. I really think it's Dede, because her death is the only one I can think of that would affect all three segments of the family.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mwell345 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/16/entertainment/ariel-winter-modern-family/index.html

“It's a character that we'll all be sad to see go, but it's probably not an older character that you think is going to go," Winter told "Entertainment Tonight."

I have though DeDe all along, but I would put her in the “older character” category.  Hmmm....

Well, that leaves Cam's sister Pam out.  Darn!

• Love 1
15 hours ago, mwell345 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/16/entertainment/ariel-winter-modern-family/index.html

“ It's a character that we'll all be sad to see go, but it's probably not an older character that you think is going to go," Winter told "Entertainment Tonight."

I have though DeDe all along, but I would put her in the “older character” category.  Hmmm....

Hmmm, maybe Dylan then? They went to the trouble of bringing him back, maybe just as cannon fodder...

5 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Hmmm, maybe Dylan then? They went to the trouble of bringing him back, maybe just as cannon fodder...

Hailey, Phil and maybe Mitch and Cam a little bit more are the only people who would give a shit that Dylan died other than worrying about how Hailey felt.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Hailey, Phil and maybe Mitch and Cam a little bit more are the only people who would give a shit that Dylan died other than worrying about how Hailey felt.

Same goes for Pam, outside of worrying about Cam's feelings, no one would be that affected. Arguably, Dylan is closer to all of them than Pam due to having been around so much when they were dating, including going on vacation with them. I just can't see them killing off any of the main characters and if Ariel's comment is true, Dede is out due to being "older." 

11 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I just can't see them killing off any of the main characters and if Ariel's comment is true, Dede is out due to being "older

I put absolutely know belief in Ariel’s comments.

Ariel’s definition of older may not be the same as others.

A character’s death may have a more subtle effect on some.  The effect might not because of who died but rather just the concept of mortality.  The thought of losing a child, even an adult child, or sibling can cause unexpected emotions.  The show could mine some comedy from Jay wanting to bond with his “kids” more or Gloria trying to become closer to her sister.  Maybe Claire and Phil drive their kids crazy wanting them (the kids) to be closer “before it is too late” or Manny annoying Joe by wanting to form a more brotherly relationship.  I can see Manny obsessing over the fact that he and Joe aren’t close because of the age gap, which would give the character reason to be home a lot.

• Love 1
On 16/10/2018 at 6:00 PM, mwell345 said:

“ It's a character that we'll all be sad to see go, but it's probably not an older character that you think is going to go," Winter told "Entertainment Tonight."

One hopes that it's Ariel Winter's character!  But seriously, I hope they don't go this way.  It's a comedy.  If I want to see that kind of crap, I'll watch "This is Us"  blah!

Although, they did it with Phil's mother.

Edited by Tanichka
  • Love 5
On 10/17/2018 at 9:43 AM, ljenkins782 said:

I'm 99% sure it's going to be Dylan.

1. They brought him back "into the family"

2. They had Haley choose him.

3. They had Haley mention more than once that she and Dylan had sex.

4. They had Dylan start getting his life together, going to nursing school. (Screenwriting 101: Any time a character's life is starting to go well, he's toast.)

I think they'll kill him off in an accident and Haley discovers she's pregnant. Bam! New "modern family", a single mother.

• Love 2
On 10/16/2018 at 6:00 PM, mwell345 said:

“It's a character that we'll all be sad to see go, but it's probably not an older character that you think is going to go," Winter told "Entertainment Tonight."

They wouldn't kill off Haley, would they?  That seems crazy to me, but then I started wondering if they would do that so the actress could leave, especially if the show ends up being renewed for one more season.  Maybe ABC felt like the Connors' writers were able to find some funny stuff in a very tragic sudden death plot and gave Modern Family the go ahead?  I mainly just started pondering this after reading some posters' comments speculating that Sarah might still be struggling with her health.  (I have no idea if that's the case, and I very much hope that they're wrong and she's fine.) 

She looked so cute riding down the street on the scooter with Dylan in his big red heart costume at the end of the episode.  I would hope that if she wanted out they could just give her a job out of state or something.  I think killing off a character like that would be way too dark for this show.  I guess we'll see.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Angeleyes said:

Whew, glad they aren’t going that route. 

Modern Family Death Is A Human Not A Dog

Oh, me too!  I think I’m sticking with DeDe - just makes the most sense to me.  Granted, she is not on a lot, probably once a season or so, but when she is on, the episode revolves around her.  And she definitely would impact every family member - there was even an episode where Manny said he wrote to her regularly.

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 3
On 10/22/2018 at 2:27 PM, Angeleyes said:

Whew, glad they aren’t going that route. 

Modern Family Death Is A Human Not A Dog

Thank *expletive* *deity of your choice*. I was going to wait until the episode aired and then come here to find out who it was before I watched it, just in case it was Stella.

I think it's Dede too. I thought so before but the photos cement it.

Edited by Ciarrai
  • Love 1

Yeah I long suspected Dede if it was going to be a real person because up until a few days ago I wouldn’t have been surprised if the show made it a dog, but Dede was always my choice. Only because it’s someone who has to affect everyone and no one else really would.

I know people thought Dylan but he wouldn’t have that big of an impact. At least I don’t think so.

On 10/27/2018 at 7:17 PM, Samsnee said:

I’m betting Hailey gets pregnant this season. 

Ding! Ding! Ding!

They better not play “Who’s the Daddy?” It would be nice if ONE show didn’t do that.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Tasha Brand said:

Yeah, Haley was never with Arvin.  So Dylan has to be the father.

I am pretty certain Arvin and Haley had sex they were dating for months. However, the timing wouldn’t work for it to be Arvin.

• Love 3

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but it was news to me.  Sarah Hyland has given an interview to Self in which she reveals she rejected her father's kidney two years ago.  She was on dialysis and suicidal.  Last year she received a second kidney from her younger brother.  Sorry I suck at links.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but it was news to me.  Sarah Hyland has given an interview to Self in which she reveals she rejected her father's kidney two years ago.  She was on dialysis and suicidal.  Last year she received a second kidney from her younger brother.  Sorry I suck at links.

2 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Man she's been through a lot! I wonder what that means for her ability to actually get pregnant. Her current storyline might be a bit more difficult to deal with. Emotionally I mean.

Not to mention she’s had complications for the past couple of years due to the medications. She lost a lot of weight and I remember last summer she got bruising all around her face because of the medicine.

• Love 4

So, they are trying to pull a Cheers for a final 11 year run? Seriously though what are they going to do? Of course them saying they don't have a final episode count. Means one of two things. They are going to do just half a season and burn it all off or cut it short by an episode or two to do one BIG finale. 

1 hour ago, readster said:

So, they are trying to pull a Cheers for a final 11 year run? Seriously though what are they going to do? Of course them saying they don't have a final episode count. Means one of two things. They are going to do just half a season and burn it all off or cut it short by an episode or two to do one BIG finale. 

Eh. I just don’t think it’s going to be good. I struggle to get though episodes this season. And now with Haley being pregnant, they’re adding a baby into the mix and sometimes that’s a bad idea. Maybe not for this show. It is a family show after all, I just feel like it’s just another added thing that may be a problem.

• Love 3

Last year they announced that season 10 would be the final season so they could have wrapped things.

And It has felt like they are taking a victory lap this year any ways...and figured it would end with the wedding/kid being born scenario.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1