Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: 7 Seasons and Counting

Congratulations!

An experienced tech can usually make a pretty good call early on.  But yeah, it's not considered a hundred percent until, I think, the fourth month?  Even then there can be surprises, but they usually seem to mistake girls for boys, not the other way around, so I'd wager Pickles is a boy. 

Edited by WTFFF
  • Love 1

I saw an old episode the other day where the family was working on the Stoney Brook house that Jill and Derrick now live in. It was really an eyesore when Jim Bob bought it, so I bet he did get it at a fairly low price, there was so much work that had to be done to it. The way it looks now, I'm sure at some point professionals were brought in to finish it. It also referenced how John David was doing some cleanup on a foreclosed property in which they bank was giving him both the property and a house along with it. It 's been rumored that John David has been living in this house, but as far as I know, we've never seen it on the show. Does anyone know more about this house?

• Love 1

Well, I'm actually beyond 20 weeks. I'm nearer to 23, but I had asked the tech about gender scanning and how early is too early. That's when she said the thing about 20 weeks. My children were just positioned in such a way that we couldn't get a clear view. I waited on the anatomy scan so my s/o could be there and to, hopefully, get a good look.

In my mind, the gender is irrelevant. I don't plan on putting my girls (if that's what I have) in fake pigtails and ankle length dresses.

Edited by wanderwoman
  • Love 5
CarolMK, on 25 Oct 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

I saw an old episode the other day where the family was working on the Stoney Brook house that Jill and Derrick now live in. It was really an eyesore when Jim Bob bought it, so I bet he did get it at a fairly low price, there was so much work that had to be done to it. The way it looks now, I'm sure at some point professionals were brought in to finish it. It also referenced how John David was doing some cleanup on a foreclosed property in which they bank was giving him both the property and a house along with it. It 's been rumored that John David has been living in this house, but as far as I know, we've never seen it on the show. Does anyone know more about this house?

JD's house is on Stoney Brook, right by Jill and Derick's' house. I thought he lived there, but was told by others here on this board that he doesn't live there and it will remain empty until (if) he gets married (unless maybe he is renting it out).  I noticed the info when I got curious and looked up the house that Jill and Derrick are living in on the Benton County assessor web site. If I remember correctly the land is about 1.5 acres and there is house and a mini storage building on the property. It's actually in JD's name and not the Duggar Trust.

Edited by starfire
  • Love 2

I found out I was pregnant with twins just before Jill. We had an anatomy scan yesterday and couldn't see the jinder of my future children. I asked the tech and she said she usually won't call it before 20 weeks. Made me think of Jill and Derick getting a delivery day surprise.

I'm not sure what I'm suppose to do if I don't have colored cake, sky writing, and a special episode....oh, wait, I will just have to wait and see. What a concept.

Many congrats, wanderwoman! That's terrific!  Twins run in my family too.  My cousin and I have been doing geneaological research - we're back to the early 1800s right now - and it seems that we have one set every other generation.

I totally agree that a great homeschooling adventure would be to do a lesson on square foot gardening or making earth boxes and growing your own veggies.  It's such an awesome thing to learn and experience at any age.  And, when you taste your own organic veggies and learn how much better they are for you (than genetically modified crap) it makes it all the more exciting.

I can see all the kids being really excited about learning about growing their own food.  

A great homeschooling unit!  Not to mention follow-up lessons on home canning and preserving. It surprises me that for folks that seem rather stuck in the past, they don't preserve or can, knit etc.  I guess they do sew - or at least Jana does. Imagine the $$ they'd save, even if all they did was to make their own jam.  My parents had a large garden while we were growing up, along with six little farmhands to help in it. And every year my Mom canned tomatoes and beans. Froze corn, carrots, strawberries and blackberries. Made both sweet and dill pickles. Made strawberry and blackberry jam. Made applesauce. We had plenty of homemade, organic food all Winter long. 

• Love 6

A great homeschooling unit!  Not to mention follow-up lessons on home canning and preserving. It surprises me that for folks that seem rather stuck in the past, they don't preserve or can, knit etc.  I guess they do sew - or at least Jana does. Imagine the $$ they'd save, even if all they did was to make their own jam.  My parents had a large garden while we were growing up, along with six little farmhands to help in it. And every year my Mom canned tomatoes and beans. Froze corn, carrots, strawberries and blackberries. Made both sweet and dill pickles. Made strawberry and blackberry jam. Made applesauce. We had plenty of homemade, organic food all Winter long. 

My mom was the same way!

My son's science lessons for the first two months of school this year were food preservation. He learned how to smoke meat, but they also did canning and drying and other methods of preservation. This is how they studied chemistry. Pretty great way to learn it, if you ask me! I'm amazed at how little the Duggars seem to do that would not only benefit them nutritionally, but also educationally. And it would give them a practical life skill. They could have a seriously amazing garden between their land and manpower.

• Love 3

The other day there was an episode where they were surprising Michelle and to guess the surprise she played a "wheel of fortune"-esque game where she had to get the answer to a trivia question right to get a letter to see the surprise. She got the first question wrong (how old was josh when he got married" and immediately started crowing and shrieking about how she was so excited for grandchildren that she didn't remember when he was married. It's just infuriating... Birthing children is not the soul purpose of life.

• Love 3

They put a stupid headband on Josie that had fake little pigtails on it. Totally obnoxious!

The Pickles and Hairspray FB page's "profile" picture is Josh with the Josie pigtails photoshopped on. Hilarious.

• Love 3

I can see in those old episodes, they were really starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel for ideas. In MIchelle's birthday makeover surprise, the last 10 minute of it were devoted to the 5 younger kids getting sick and vomiting several times. Nobody wants to see that! Also, it featured a trip to the dentist for the same 5 kids. i think Jim Bob realized his show was proably on the verge of going down to semi-annual specials if he didn't hurry up and arrange marriages for a couple of his kids. Maybe he really has been trying to find potential partners for Jana and John David but neither of them are interested in either marriage in general or the people he's been having them meet. 

• Love 1

Maybe he really has been trying to find potential partners for Jana and John David but neither of them are interested in either marriage in general or the people he's been having them meet.

Maybe it is time to "set them free" and let them live the way they choose.

Maybe this has been discussed before, but does anyone know what happened to all those kittens from the kittens and construction episode.  I know they had two yellow ones that they were chasing around the house like wild animals.  Then they got three more that were rescued from the other house - and it seemed like a child had claimed every kitten as theirs.

Do they still have those kittens?

I saw an older episode the other day where apparently Jill had been up at night delivering 2 babies, and the other 3 older girls were away on some mission thing, so Michelle is in the kitchen cooking breakfast. She makes omelets for everybody, one at a time, serving them on paper plates. At some point Jim Bob offers to help, but when he tries to fold an omelet, Michelle freaks out to him that it will be gooey in the middle. Geez, Michelle, you should be glad he offered to help! Of course the side bar says it take 36 eggs to feed the Duggars every morning, which I don't believe at all...and why now make a couple of the really huge 12 egg omelets in a gigantic pan and then cut them up, or frittata in the oven? Making 20 omelets one at a time would easily run over an hour . No wonder she can't take care of her kids without help from the girls. I wonder if Hannie has been promoted to kitchen duty yet.She's had a break so far, being 9, I'm sure the other girls got started by age 6 or 7.

• Love 2

I saw an older episode the other day where apparently Jill had been up at night delivering 2 babies, and the other 3 older girls were away on some mission thing, so Michelle is in the kitchen cooking breakfast. She makes omelets for everybody, one at a time, serving them on paper plates. At some point Jim Bob offers to help, but when he tries to fold an omelet, Michelle freaks out to him that it will be gooey in the middle. Geez, Michelle, you should be glad he offered to help! Of course the side bar says it take 36 eggs to feed the Duggars every morning, which I don't believe at all...and why now make a couple of the really huge 12 egg omelets in a gigantic pan and then cut them up, or frittata in the oven? Making 20 omelets one at a time would easily run over an hour . No wonder she can't take care of her kids without help from the girls. I wonder if Hannie has been promoted to kitchen duty yet.She's had a break so far, being 9, I'm sure the other girls got started by age 6 or 7.

I remember that episode too & I agree about making one big omelet. They don't seem to think this way. I've wondered why they don't buy those ginormous sized cans of veggies & soups instead of the regular sized ones. Would sure cut down time for the J'slaves having to open each can. I laugh on a different episode when MEchelle was adamant about the kids washing off the lids of the cans before they opened them. Like cleanliness means anything in that house. I'm sure the J'Howlers climbed & walked over the counters to get to the cans.
  • Love 2

Maybe this has been discussed before, but does anyone know what happened to all those kittens from the kittens and construction episode. I know they had two yellow ones that they were chasing around the house like wild animals. Then they got three more that were rescued from the other house - and it seemed like a child had claimed every kitten as theirs.

Do they still have those kittens?

I adopted a 4 week old orange tabby kitten from the shelter 1 yr ago in June. The worker told me one of the Duggars brought it in. Not sure if this is the same time frame as the kitten episode, I've never seen it. Edited by Mrsjumbo
  • Love 3

I adopted a 4 week old orange tabby kitten from the shelter 1 yr ago in June. The worker told me one of the Duggars brought it in. Not sure if this is the same time frame as the kitten episode, I've never seen it.

Oh, only if your kitten could talk......

• Love 5

Yeah, we talk to him about the mean Duggars that couldn't keep him even though they have so much land.

And the lady said that the Duggar called him "vicious". He was 4 weeks old! And he's a sweet, laid back tabby.

If I ever run into any Duggars I'm going to ask about who took him to the shelter, where did they find him, etc.

• Love 1

The poor kitten probably was defending himself or herself against being mistreated and was not being "vicious"  I am happy someone adopted the kitten, and he or she has a good loving home. People who abuse animals are my biggest pet peeve (sorry bad pun.)

Maybe he was "vicious" because little Duggar hands squeezed him to death? These people and their treatment of animals is ridiculous.

Saw the one where Jordyn (?) got her head stuck in the railing. They didn't edit out the part with Jchelle laughing, though they edited it out on Netflix. Tis strange.

• Love 1

I still can't get my head around Michelle putting the kitten into a plastic juice jug. Did I really see that? Why, yes I did.

Because it's not a newborn, so why not. She should've handed the kitten to their sister moms

• Love 3

I think that Gothard teaches that kittens should leave and cleave after 4 weeks, and this is pleasing to God.  So it must be done, especially if their countenance is not precious and sweet.  It is at this point that they must enter into new season of life outside of the Duggar home. 

Edited by zenme
  • Love 12

I am laughing watching S6 E25 and hearing JimBob say "sword fighting" like 10,000 times. They were learning to fence, but I keep imagining the Urban Dictionary definition.

I'm mature like that.

• Love 2

Does anyone remember which episode/special showed us Michelle's giant ovulation chart calendar?  I think it was one of the earlier specials, either Moving In or On the Road, but I'm not certain.  Anyone know?

I'd like to see that giant chart too. I think I remember something about that....how is that modest and leaving it up to God? Did she ever address why it was posted in plain view in the first place? Most women kept those things in a small pocket calendar in their nightstand top drawer...remember ladies? I know, I did.

• Love 2

I'd like to see that giant chart too. I think I remember something about that....how is that modest and leaving it up to God? Did she ever address why it was posted in plain view in the first place? Most women kept those things in a small pocket calendar in their nightstand top drawer...remember ladies? I know, I did.

I kept my NFP chart in a drawer in the bathroom . . . till one of my toddlers found it and made a little art project with all those colored baby stickers! After that it was kept on a high shelf. 

(Wry tone) I kept mine on the bedside table until I finally gave up in frustration. The next month I went to have a talk with my Ob/Gyn and....you guessed it, I was pregnant.

Stupid chart.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 3

(Wry tone) I kept mine on the bedside table until I finally gave up in frustration. The next month I went to have a talk with my Ob/Gyn and....you guessed it, I was pregnant.

Stupid chart.

Glad it worked out for you!!

I keep mine online - it's much easier that way.

I don't think the chart was in a special, but was in the very first season of the ___ kids and counting (was it 16/17?)

JD's house is on Stoney Brook, right by Jill and Derick's' house. I thought he lived there, but was told by others here on this board that he doesn't live there and it will remain empty until (if) he gets married (unless maybe he is renting it out).  I noticed the info when I got curious and looked up the house that Jill and Derrick are living in on the Benton County assessor web site. If I remember correctly the land is about 1.5 acres and there is house and a mini storage building on the property. It's actually in JD's name and not the Duggar Trust.

I'm sure he's renting it out; whatever else you might say about this family, at least they're fiscally wise.  Why shouldn't he when he has a free place to live?  Personally, I think it's silly -- and economically disasterous -- for everyone to think they need their own apartments or, worse, huge house the minute they turn 18.  It's simply smart to invest, make your money work for you, and save up a nest egg.  You go, JD!  Although originally I believe the intent was for him to find a wife and start a family immediately...  Maybe next season...

Does anyone remember which episode/special showed us Michelle's giant ovulation chart calendar?  I think it was one of the earlier specials, either Moving In or On the Road, but I'm not certain.  Anyone know?

It's been bequeathed to Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanna...

Edited by joanofarch4

The Discovery Life channel (181 for me) has been replaying reruns of 18 kids & counting almost all day for a few days now.

The kids are so young, I guess I don't really remember these episodes! I just watched Josh/Anna's honeymoon & it's amazing how awful Josh looks now vs how much better Anna looks! Jill & Joy go to a (fundy?) friends house to babysit also! Aside from the hair, Jill really came into her own!

The Discovery Life channel (181 for me) has been replaying reruns of 18 kids & counting almost all day for a few days now.

The kids are so young, I guess I don't really remember these episodes! I just watched Josh/Anna's honeymoon & it's amazing how awful Josh looks now vs how much better Anna looks! Jill & Joy go to a (fundy?) friends house to babysit also! Aside from the hair, Jill really came into her own!

Anna looked very malnourished and had a boy's figure. She reminded me of Sissy Spacek in Carrie. Very homely.

• Love 1

No episode ever showed the alleged chart. 

• Love 1

I think I remember seeing that chart on the side of the refrigerator...it was in the new house; the one they are in now...It was giant and homemade...does anyone else remember seeing that?

I may be losing my marbles but I swear I remember seeing it too.  I just can't remember when/where.  It would've been one of the specials, I think.  I don't know if they pointed it out or what but I'm pretty sure it was visible at some point.

Can't remember seeing the actual chart/calendar in a specific episode, but It was eluded to in Season 1, Episode 2 "Duggars Do New York" (2008). This was one of the last ones I watched on Netflix. They were all on the Today Show with Meredith V. for a Mother's Day episode, and Michelle revealed they were expecting (Jordyn). She said about the kids, "they didn't know we're expecting; my girls watch the calendar like a hawk. We Just found out Monday night." Don't know if the calendar is hanging in the kitchen or on sitting on a desk, but the teenage girls apparently kept up with it. Josh's shocked reaction was the best part of the episode.

There was a past season episode from the year 2010 on my TV last night. It was the episode when Josie had been born prematurely and had to spend 4 months in the Arkansas Children's Hospital. The Duggars moved all their children right after Christmas into a historic home in Little Rock called the Cornish House. I don't know exactly how they were able to move into that home temporarily but I was curious about that since it was on the Little Rock list of historic homes. I googled this estate and found the history of the home quite interesting. I also found the home listed on Trulia as being for sale after a foreclosure.

The thing I found amusing was the fact that the home was custom built in 1917 for Edward and Hilda Cornish. Edward Cornish was one of the most prominent and affluent bankers of the twentieth century. His wife Hilda was instrumental in founding the organization that became the Planned Parenthood Association of Arkansas.

Then in 2010 the Duggars and their 18 children moved into this historic home to be near Josie while she was in the hospital. I couldn't help wondering if Hilda Cornish was turning over in her grave since it was she that was influential in Little Rock as the main driving force in the Arkansas birth control movement.

• Love 12