Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: 7 Seasons and Counting

I haven't seen this show in years and I got sucked in this weekend after a marathon. Quick question so I can catch up: when and why did Josh and Anna move to DC?

Josh, allegedly, was offered a job with the Family Research Council.  The FRC is an ultra-conservative political lobbyist group.  The general consensus is that the FRC wanted a celebrity face to use in fundraising, campaigning, and lobbying.  Josh seemed like a safe bet.  Humorously, aside from getting his family to show up at events and courting the conservative politicians, Josh doesn't seem to really DO anything.  He's an undereducated, used car salesman (oh, excuse me, entrepreneur....lol) who can use Microsoft Paint who landed a cherry position in DC because Daddy and Momma had 19 kids. That's about the extent of his qualifications.

• Love 5

Okay, I have watched a few episodes of this show in the past but have now started watching from the beginning.  I wanted to go slap Mullet (love that) at the Mother's Day brunch in season one with the duck stuff.  They are at the brunch, and Mullet didn't even have Jennifer sitting next to her in the highchair.  The baby was sitting by two of the older girls.  Not to mention, when they were in New York, the two parents were waling around holding hands in front of the kids while the older kids watched the younger ones.  I also assume that the long suffering grandmother helped too.  What selfish assholes.

I am also going to admit that the only reason that I am watching the show is to be able to come on here and snark.  I was a habitual lurker on TWOP, but feel more confidant posting on this format. :)

• Love 6
(edited)

Over on the Small Talk post I clicked the link to "General Discussion" and this is where I landed. If this isn't the proper place please move my post thanks!

So our 16 year old just earned her drivers license and she named the family car she is using "Jeremiah". We asked her why and she said her close circle of friends decided to name their cars after the Duggar kids! What?! Her BFF named his car Jedediah, as both their cars are silver so they are twins lol. So far the others in the "family" are James, Josie, and like Michelle I forgot the other names. Crazy kids. Our family watches this show to snark together so I'm still shaking my head as to why they would do this.

Edited by Readalot
  • Love 7

God, I hope the Josie car is like a SmartCar or at least a subcompact.

actually she hasn't been "born" yet... She will be in October when the licensed is earned. But if I remember correctly she does want a small car!

The Josh car would be a Hummer that doesn't run very well and uses a ton of gas.

For sure! no Josh yet! James is a 2013 Toyota Corolla. The twins are a 11 year old Volvo and a 11 year old 325i. One I can't remember the name is an older Camry Another one I forgot both the name and car lol
  • Love 1

actually she hasn't been "born" yet... She will be in October when the licensed is earned. But if I remember correctly she does want a small car!

For sure! no Josh yet! James is a 2013 Toyota Corolla. The twins are a 11 year old Volvo and a 11 year old 325i. One I can't remember the name is an older Camry Another one I forgot both the name and car lol

Ahahahaha even better!  Preemie humor FTW

• Love 2

I didn't watch this show until the last year or 2.  I watched 14 Kids and Pregnant Again, and 16 Kids and Moving In tonight.  I have to say, I kind of liked them!  Michelle was homeschooling, and seemed to actually be teaching!  JimBob was not yet a total asshat, and Smuggar was not so smug.  He was narrating one of the shows and  explained jurisdictions and the buddy system, but it still seemed like the parents were pretty involved.  Michelle still had the crunchy, scrunchy hair, but had on red lipstick and looked kind of pretty.  I did NOT like them showing the kids riding in the bucket of a bulldozer or on a lift while building the house.  Those are things you just don't do because they aren't safe!  12-year old Jana was in charge of the laundry, Michelle was shown holding a baby, JimBob was actually doing some work, and although Tater Tot Casserole was shown more than once, I also saw fruits and vegetables! 

Knowing what we all know now, I can't help but wonder, when and how did it all change so much?  Was it the TLC money and fame that did them in?

• Love 4

I'm loving the episode they're showing right now, with the family in Disney World. The kids were cute, humble, and enthralled. And Michelle seemed much less affected. She was actually touching and holding children. What the heck happened? 

And in the "14 Kids" special, Josh is seriously cute and not really smug at all. 

Question, has Jinger ever been called Jinny before? I thought on one of the repeats tonight JimBob said either Jinny or Jenny, but it couldn't have been Jenny since she wasn't born yet or the one being born in the repeats. But I've never heard her called Jinny before except of course Jenny.

Another thing I noticed that I never noticed before was Mary was present during Johannah's birth. I don't think I've ever seen her present at a birth before. 

Watching the earlier episodes, and they are so different.

The religion stuff is so toned down, and there is none of the odd language: they are not "purposing" or "fellowshipping." There is no explanation of "side hugs" or "pieces of your heart." 

Michelle seems to enjoy being a mother and there is real interaction between her and the kids.

The hair and the clothing on the girls are horrifying and Jana has some really unfortunate bangs, but the whole family seems so much more relaxed and so much more likable.

I watched them too and couldn't believe the difference between then and now....WOW!  My info guide said 2006 on the 14 kids one so 8 years later has certainly aged Michelle facially I noticed, her skin was bright and dewy almost and her red lipstick jumped out.  Her voice was so different and normal, this high squeak that she does now is awful sounding...she must do it on purpose thinking it is cute and makes her younger....my theory anyway.  

The kids stared at the cameras a lot showing they were reasonably new to seeing them around yet seemed comfortable answering questions one on one.  The girls look so different now..I had trouble picking out who was who in some cases....Jessa no but the rest big time....must be the added make up and up to date hair dos or should I say hair dos because back then it was let it grow and tie it back period!  

Red shirts then blue, then green, wow!  And the girls in those big black shoes/boots.  

Michelle did seem more hands on with the kids and I thought the kids learning chores was great except I am not sure why the "owner" of the tasks aren't ultimately Michelle or dare I say it JIM BOB!?  They seem to stick to the way things were done way way back when....men outside and women doing house chores.  I was glad to see the boys do cleaning tasks though and if they cleaned up around their own toilets they might be more careful!  LOL

I found it odd she kept saying fruits and vegetables like she was defending it.  I am sure they eat more of that canned than fresh...can you imagine bringing home strawberries for 16 people and that is just one fruit?!?  How about bananas, almost 3 bunches for one feed?  They would need their bus just for the fresh stuff...not buying that then or now!

What a difference TLC $$ and exposure has made in their lives!

How long had they been doing the show before they built that 7000 sq ft home??  Still boggled at 7000....and they all sleep in the same room and share beds...why?

How long had they been doing the show before they built that 7000 sq ft home??  Still boggled at 7000....and they all sleep in the same room and share beds...why?

In the episodes regarding the TTH, Boob stated that when they were drawing up the plans they gave the kids the option to have multiple bedrooms, but the kids themselves opted for the dorm style bedrooms. (I am sure J'Chelle and Boob convinced them of this)   Based on the way that house was contstructed out of two (or was it three) kits, it seems to flow well this way.  They probably wouldn't have the two story living room with the catwalk had they opted for multiple bedrooms. 

• Love 3

I know it's bad to say....but I'm sorry, those girls were not attractive until they hit like, 18.  The little boys were friggin cute, but I think Josh was pretty smug in the moving special.

I saw parts of the old shows last night.....everything on the girls including Mullet....the Laura Ingalls dresses,  the convent shoes, and the Warren Jeffs Compound hair ........was horrifying.

That said, the kids (all of them, including now-bloated Josh) were adorable.

The interesting thing about the part I caught, was the kids' aspirations....most of the little boys wanted to be "a fireman" or "a carpenter" (they were building the house at the time), some wanted to be "a missionary", one boy wanted to be "an artist" ((That's probably been beaten out by now.)).  The girls' answers were "missionary" , or "midwife" (Jana, surprisingly)....and BEAUTICIAN....by guess who??? Jessa Blessa!!!! Surprise,surprise. Josh said "attorney". I can't remember the rest....they are kind of a blur. Josh was the only one who wanted , at the time, to go to 4 years of college and beyond. Of course, most of them were pretty young, but the aspirations seemed to be honestly their own. I wonder how many of them will get to do any of it....especially the boy artist, or Jessa for that matter. (They probably de-programmed that out too....image if her first client asked for blue hair or a half- shaved head. LOL)

Rather sad. I think the original premise of this show was to have them march in line in order of birth all day long to show how crazy-big the family was....seems like JB got stuck on that concept and never let it go, for fear of losing the gravy train....hence the inclusion of Josh, Anna, and kids to every event....and that continual marching in order business. I think this is the fate  for Derick and all future spouses until the TLC money runs out.

Also, if Mullet and JB ever made the girls go back to that old frumpity-dump look, we'd see departures ASAP. They are soooooooo beyond that (insert Jinger eye-roll).

• Love 3

If I remember correctly, John David said that he wanted to be an airplane pilot. It is funny that he may be getting his wish, I wonder how well the flying lessons went over with Mullet and Boob.

I was watching those older episodes myself the other night. I was confused when they were moving all that furniture into the new 7000 sq ft house and then they came to the, apparently, brand new Baby Grand piano. They all seemed amazed and giddy over the piano. I was under the impression that many of the older ones were already practicing piano. So why were they all so nostalgic over the baby grand piano? Yeah it's nice and all, but they acted like they had never seen a piano before.

So why were they all so nostalgic over the baby grand piano? Yeah it's nice and all, but they acted like they had never seen a piano before.

The premise was, the family was saving and one day hoped to buy a baby grand. Then we are led to believe the designer bought it for them as a surprise.

So why were they all so nostalgic over the baby grand piano? Yeah it's nice and all, but they acted like they had never seen a piano before.

I have been watching the earlier episodes, and I'm not sure where this fit in the chronology, but J'chelle mentioned at one point that they had set aside a space in the new house for a grand piano that they hoped to get one day -- this was interspersed with shots of them moving an upright piano.

My guess would be that TLC purchased the piano for the new house. There is mention during the episode leading up to the move that TLC helped them finish building the house, and also helped to furnish and decorate. I'm assuming that the oohs and ahhs were the staged reaction of the kids showing their gratitude for the new piano.

Ripley68, I thought the same thing. Jana and Jill had one hell of an awkward phase.

Today I was watching a S5 epi where Jessa discussed James' trouble with focusing on schoolwork. Meanwhile they show James tucked into some windowless cubby with the little ones constantly interrupting, loud voices in the hall and someone banging away on the piano downstairs. I was going batty just watching it; no wonder the poor kid can't concentrate.

Hope I am on the right thread!

This morning before work, I watched an old episode.  Miracle Baby Josie was home from the hospital and Michelle was talking about weaning her off oxygen.  She was walking around the house, talking about Josie, and the little lost girl that is next to Josie, who looked to be about 9 months old,was CRAWLING HEADFIRST down the steps!!!!  A Howler ran past her on his way down the steps, but everybody else ignored her.  I couldn't believe it!

Then another little girl wanted something, so Michelle told her "go find Jana!"  Guess she was hungry, so Jana gave her a nice healthy slice of processed cheese, even though she didn't know the sign language for this.

The more I think about that child on the steps, the angrier I get.  I think God must surely be watching out for these little ones, because their idiot parents don't!

• Love 5

The pillow is only supposed to be used when seated and never as the sole support for the infant.  My daughter uses one and it's only supposed to be used to make it more comfortable to position the infant.  It doesn't look all that odd when used properly. 

• Love 2

I watched part of the episode of the Duggars at Dollywood. It was so strange that the baby wasn't fussing or crying at all when Michelle grabbed her from Jim Bob and declared "it's time to feed the baby!"

Jim Bob looked shocked and startled. And there Michelle was, proudly making a spectacle of herself by making a huge production of nursing a not hungry baby while standing at the front of a parade float.

If she doesn't get pregnant again she is sure going to miss projecting her breast to the world.

Maybe that's why she wore that breast enhancing dress at Jill's wedding?

• Love 3

After watching a lot of old episodes this week, I'm convinced Jackson is the most annoying freaking kid on this planet.

I think his cutesy, babyish shtick is done on purpose because he knows infants are the only ones who get any attention in that house.

But of course Martyr Michelle would make a huge spectacle of breastfeeding! Never minds she weans early so she can get knocked up as soon as possible.

Hi everyone. First time poster long time lurker.

The one time when the Duggar bus got stuck in mud?? here was Michelle breast feeding one of the J-kids and at the back of the bus pushing it trying to free it. That was one of many WTF moments. She could have easily dropped the baby or something worse. Why wasn't the older J-boys trying to help. Michelle probably wanted everyone to see how easy she could breast feed and help push the bus at the same time. After all we know she is Mother of the year. " insert eye roll"

• Love 2

Hi everyone. First time poster long time lurker.

The one time when the Duggar bus got stuck in mud?? here was Michelle breast feeding one of the J-kids and at the back of the bus pushing it trying to free it. That was one of many WTF moments. She could have easily dropped the baby or something worse. Why wasn't the older J-boys trying to help. Michelle probably wanted everyone to see how easy she could breast feed and help push the bus at the same time. After all we know she is Mother of the year. " insert eye roll"

I don't suppose anyone has a handy clip of that womanly feat -- sort of want to snark first-hand. 

(edited)

I'd really love to know what they thought of Dolly's knockers, given that they are completely unavoidable. Do you think the boys were secretly like "HOLY SHIT!" I think even JimBoob was having difficulty maintaining eye contact. Then there's the part where Dolly shimmies her way into the middle of the clan for the photo--I felt like Anna was going to die of embarrassment. Loved every second of it!

@mbutterfly There's some footage on YouTube of the episode--I don't know if it's ok to link or not, but if you search you can probably find it. I found 3 videos containing segments of the episode.

Edited by lottiedottie
  • Love 1

I'd really love to know what they thought of Dolly's knockers, given that they are completely unavoidable. Do you think the boys were secretly like "HOLY SHIT!" I think even JimBoob was having difficulty maintaining eye contact. Then there's the part where Dolly shimmies her way into the middle of the clan for the photo--I felt like Anna was going to die of embarrassment. Loved every second of it!

@mbutterfly There's some footage on YouTube of the episode--I don't know if it's ok to link or not, but if you search you can probably find it. I found 3 videos containing segments of the episode.

I watched it. Loved it too. Jim Bob came pretty close to a full frontal hug with Dollie, oh my. As others have said, you're supposed to nurse sitting down with that pillow. Nursing on a float is a pretty big stretch, but she could have seated herself. And pushing the bus, 'bout popped my own buttons (Dollie made me use that metaphor)

Does anyone remember if the episode where Jennifer was frightened of Jim Bob with the beard was the passion play episode?

If so, they have edited it to take out the part where Jennifer was screaming for Dilll and refused to be comforted by Michelle.

It's down the memory hole.

• Love 1

After watching a lot of old episodes this week, I'm convinced Jackson is the most annoying freaking kid on this planet.

Oh thank god, I'm not the only one who finds him to be terribly annoying.  It's not his fault; no one's taught him not to be a loud, badly-behaved little monster, nor has anyone taught him to drop the baby talk.  I felt so bad for Jana after I realized that Jackson slept in her bed with her. 

And yeah, the "Dill" sequence is edited out on the DVDs too.  Keep hoping unedited versions will pop up on youtube, alas, none have so far. 

I hate the editing out of things. It makes me feel like I've gone crazy. I swear they went to Pipe Springs in the "on the road with whatever kids" and I can't find that segment. It's seriously maddening.

Anyway, I watched the "redneck water slide" episode the other day and was cracking up. I actually liked JB and his weirdness. He is an idiot but he loves his kids and loves to spend time with them, even if he has to dig up the lawn.

In a different episode he said "we save a lot of money having our own backhoe". Exactly how much does he use this thing for them to save a lot of money? He kind of reminds me of the Roloff dad and his kooky plans.

• Love 1

Boob thinks that not hiring people to do what he and his slaves, I mean kids can do themselves will save money. While that's true, I don't think that the kids always want to participate. Let them live their own lives. 

I was watching an episode where Michelle said that one of the young boys, Justin(?)(I really can't tell any of them apart. I refer to them all as Rod and Todd Flanders) was a very good caretaker for Jordyn(?) Jennifer(?) whichever is the last kid before Josie. And we see Rod cradling and comforting the little girl who was just a baby, while Michelle did whatever with Josie. She complimented him on being so good with the baby and that they're on the same buddy team. I wonder who his older buddies are.

The only little boy I can distinguish from the others is James. He, the holder of the shittiest birthday ever episode where he not only celebrated his birthday in the NICU with Josie, but got the honor of selecting his birthday present from the hospital gift shop.

• Love 3

They eat fresh fruits and vegetables, LOL!

If I remember correctly, there was a lot of talk on TWoP and probably on other sites about all the processed crap they ate. Then, suddenly, a big platter of fruit appeared in an episode. Produce is expensive, so I doubt the buy-used kids were getting a lot of it.

Michelle actually sounded like she had larygnits or something during the early specials. Too bad her voice isn't like that now. The baby voice is like nails on a chalkboard. You're almost 50! Stop talking like you're three. 

• Love 1