Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: A Reptile Dysfunction

A local legend comes back to life as Nick and Hank  investigate a mysterious sighting linked to a tourist's death at a local lake. Rosalee's past comes back to haunt her. Elsewhere, Capt. Renard continues to support a candidate for mayor. Meanwhile, Nick is shown the scope of the Wesen uprising as the secret government agency takes him into the heart of their Portland operations center.

The surviving brother presumably went to prison for conspiracy to commit murder as well as being an accessory after the fact.  I missed whatever part of the episode included Adalind, so it was a good one for me.  The whole thing with the Diamond Lake monster felt like a brutal, murderous plot from Scooby-do.  The Otter-Wesen brothers were evilish but adorable when Woged.

Edited by johntfs

Wow this had to be the most boring Grimm episode I've ever seen. Usually the show is at least great entertainment even when nothing makes sense but this was horrible. I'm starting to see what others have said in the past. Based on what happened tonight and the previews for next week, it does seem as if the show is turning into the Trebel/Eve/Juliette hour. Which is unfortunate. I find them both boring and completely useless.

I missed Adalind, but at least I didn't have to watch her feed Kelly for the hundredth time. Hope she'll get more screen time with more to do soon.

• Love 5

The surviving brother presumably went to prison for conspiracy to commit murder as well as being an accessory after the fact.  I missed whatever part of the episode included Adalind, so it was a good one for me.  The whole thing with the Diamond Lake monster felt like a brutal, murderous plot from Scooby-do.  The Otter-Wesen brothers were evilish but adorable when Woged.

Woah....does that mean there is no Adalind in this ep?  You mean I might be able to watch it?

• Love 1

The surviving brother presumably went to prison for conspiracy to commit murder as well as being an accessory after the fact. .

Conspiracy to commit murder of whom? The monster Wesen was dumped in the lake to cover up Grimm involvement and his brother was shot by a bunch of gun wielding boaters.

• Love 3

It reminded me of a generic X file. The Loch Ness Monster/Ogopogo lame reference. Good ep title. It gave me a chuckle.

Nice to see Trubel back in action. And a bit more information about Meisner and the Wesen threat.

Not hugely interested in Juliette/Eve. Any Wesen snakes bearing apples?

Rosalee's letter was from her brother?

The Beaver/Otter brothers were a bit lame. Only cashing in on the 'monster', who they were very happy to  haul out and use to make a buck and sell out at their earliest convenience.

Edited by Frozendiva

I cannot stand this ridiculous Black Claw world dominion storyline.

I cannot stand Juliette's silly colored wigs and her even sillier robotic demeanor. This super soldier storyline is ruining Trubel and Meisner for goodness sakes.

Give me back the Sccoby Gang + Adalind (and let her show some backbone) with the MotW rather than this terrible myth arc.

Worst Grimm episode ever.

• Love 10

Was the brother the same kind of wesen that Bud is? If so, it should have been weird to the drunk wesen that the brother was offering to throw down in a fight, even if it was just lies. I seem to recall that the wesens that Bud is are cowards, but hard-working.

Meisner is no longer part of the resistance because the wesen uprising is so important? BS, the writers couldn't expand on previous seasons and don't want to deal with Vetter and Laufner.

It might be all the wigs, but I'm getting vibes of ripped off Alias from Juliette/Eve.  If the federal organization that Meisner works for is so rich, why are the rooms in their bunkers so small?

The whole thing with the Diamond Lake monster felt like a brutal, murderous plot from Scooby-do.

Scooby and the gang took on the Loch Ness monster and it was more entertaining than this.

Conspiracy to commit murder of whom? The monster Wesen was dumped in the lake to cover up Grimm involvement and his brother was shot by a bunch of gun wielding boaters.

I think Nick keep drugs around to plant on wesens that they can't charge.

I liked the loch-ness-wesen story -- maybe not the most riveting of plots, but enjoyable. While I used to like Juliette, I don't care much about Eve, nor, sadly, Nick. The political aid flirting with Renard was kind of cute, and I like it that Nick and Renard FINALLY shared enough information that they could put together that Meisner was involved in both the resistance and Hadrian's Wall. Nick seems to think that Meisner is in charge of the latter, but Meisner's comment that "they keep us all here" (referring to the cell-like rooms) may indicate that he's subordinate to some higher power.

Most important, no Nick/Adalind, so I didn't have to leave the room retching! Yay!

• Love 1

I will note that when Nick was together with Juliette, I don't recall him choosing to murder Wesen because it would have been inconvenient/difficult to jail them.  So, thanks again, Adalind.

• Love 5

I cannot stand this ridiculous Black Claw world dominion storyline.

I cannot stand Juliette's silly colored wigs and her even sillier robotic demeanor. This super soldier storyline is ruining Trubel and Meisner for goodness sakes.

Give me back the Sccoby Gang + Adalind (and let her show some backbone) with the MotW rather than this terrible myth arc.

I couldn't agree more. This world wide Wesen uprising plot is just stupid & really not interesting. Wasn't this show supposed to be about a Grimm who was also a cop? That shouldn't be a secondary plot. Trubel grew into a great character by the end of last season, but they've completely ruined her this season & made Juliette even more annoying, a thing I wouldn't have thought possible. Meanwhile, Wu & Renard are hardly in the show, & Monroe & Rosalee apparently never leave the store. Who is writing this crap?

• Love 4

So, for now, Juliette is truly dead and she's just "Eve" now, I guess?  Of course, I will not be surprised at all if this ends with Juliette coming back out due to the power of love or some bullshit, but I guess I'll just call her Eve for now.  She's still just as boring, but she did lead to one of the best parts about this episode, where Rosalee's brain seem to be close to melting down due to trying to figure out this entire damn thing.  I am so with you, Rosalee.

In theory, I kind of like getting a more typical "case of the week" with the Grimm crime, but I just thought it was kind of boring, and I wasn't really invested in any of the players, so I was just waiting for it to get fixed.  Wasn't even all that bent out of shape that the solution was Nick basically making Trubel his weapon and straight-up killing the killer, even though that is colder then normal for him.  Whatever it takes, I guess.

Besides that, a lot of stuff that I'm wondering what the point is: Rosalee's stalker dude or whatever the hell he is.  Renard's campaign plot that now involves him hooking up with that campaign manager.  I get not showing all your cards yet, but this show seems to falter at building up in a way that peaks my curiosity about it.

I didn't mind the Diamond Lake Monster story. I suppose I was the only one who was thinking Lake Nose Monster. It all got wrapped up pretty easily though. 

The Meisner, Eve, Theresa part of the story looked like they were in a bad sci fi movie. 

• Love 2

So, for now, Juliette is truly dead and she's just "Eve" now, I guess?  Of course, I will not be surprised at all if this ends with Juliette coming back out due to the power of love or some bullshit, but I guess I'll just call her Eve for now.  She's still just as boring, but she did lead to one of the best parts about this episode, where Rosalee's brain seem to be close to melting down due to trying to figure out this entire damn thing.  I am so with you, Rosalee.

I will not be surprised either, I picked up on what Eve said about how she found a reason to live regarding being trained to fight the uprising.  It was melodramatic crap, but it could mean Juliette is still in there, because why would a made-hexenbiest killing machine even need a reason to live?

Since there was no Adalind, and leaving aside the secret Portland headquarters (and once again all the manure about every hotspot in the world being wesen who don't want to be hidden anymore) I liked the original-recipe Grimm vibe of this episode.  All the lake stuff was nice to look at, but I wondered if the swimmers weren't freezing in that water, everyone else was dressed in long sleeves and sweaters. 

• Love 2

First of all, Rosalee and Monroe's spice shop is totally a ripoff! $17.95 for Turmeric that you can buy for $4.95 in the supermarket? I guess that's what happens when gullible non wessen wander in by mistake.

Second of all, I watch tv with the closed captions on and when that political advisor chick, who was working with Renard, went and closed the door, the caption read "seedy music" and I burst out laughing. 

I thought the MOW plot was pretty good, especially when the one otter brother was so much creepier than the other. I also like the original Grimm vibe of the episode. It also had an original recipe X-Files feeling to it. 

Juliet/Eve continues to be be mind numbingly boring. 

• Love 9

The lake monster story was very Season 1 and I liked it. The War of the Wesen story just isn't working for me and this could have been a fine episode without it. It also proved they don't need Adalind and frankly I don't think they need Trubel either. For all the criticism Bitsie Tulloch gets about her acting I don't think Jacqueline Toboni is any great shakes either. If we're going to call out "robotic" acting let's apply it equally.

I'm terribly confused about where this underground bunker is that Meisner, Eve et. al. are hiding out. Why does Trubel have her own room? Was she living there - in Portland - before she showed up at Nick's place? How long has she been gone since the end of last season?!? What exactly happened to her when she showed up all bloody and battered at the beginning of this season and if she has a "room" in this bunker why didn't she go there instead? Seems like they're throwing this whole thing together week by week.

If there's some sort of war going on an nobody knows it then it's not a very successful war, is it? I mean, wouldn't worldwide outbreaks of violence, vandalism, terrorism, whatever, be more of a big news story? I can't figure out what they're trying to tie this all to. I don't think they're bold enough to say Al Quaeda or ISIS are really Wesen but this alternate, fictional terrorist threat is too vague to really grasp right now.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2

yeah - I liked the lake setting.

In several episodes now, they've made a point of showing T.rubel living at the Hadrian's building, then fighting Meisner saying she didn't know what he had done to Eve, then showing them living in adjacent living quarters again. I don't think it was an oversight. Is one of the computer operators at the center secretly the director or leader who is handing out assignments without explaining what other participants are doing? They even hand out food, but Meisner doesn't know what it is. Do they have a Star Trek-like food window, or you would think there is a quartermaster or cafeteria staff who would tell him what the bowl of something that tastes like chicken is. I still can accept it though - the NSA or CIA or whatever is quite secret.

• Love 1

The bunkers seem more like jail cells to me.  HIgh tech and with some 'comforts", but why would anyone volunteer/agree to live like that?  I know Evilette was "broekn" and it's not really her, etc, so maybe I can buy that, but the others?  I don't know.  It all seems really shady to me.

Since there was no Adalind, and leaving aside the secret Portland headquarters (and once again all the manure about every hotspot in the world being wesen who don't want to be hidden anymore) I liked the original-recipe Grimm vibe of this episode.  All the lake stuff was nice to look at, but I wondered if the swimmers weren't freezing in that water, everyone else was dressed in long sleeves and sweaters. 

I think this episode was filmed it late September or early October, when it was still fairly warm here...and I'm sure the swimmers had wet suits on (sort of...I don't know...I haven't watched this yet).  But it was filmed out at Lake Estacada and people do swim there into September, so....

For the most part, I found this episode to be boring and I really don't care about the Black Claw nor that this groups now has ties to the Wesen Hitler from Nick's old films. Don't get me wrong I was looking forward towards the Wesen of the week story, but I really didn't find it all too interesting. Although, I still thought that it was better than the scenes with Eve/Juliette (and are we calling her Evilette now?) which were just tiring. 

IMO, the only thing that I found interesting was the whole Rosalee letter scene.

Edited by TVSpectator

At least with the character of Eve they've found an excuse for Bitsie's robotic and unemotional acting.  I agree that the actress who plays Trubel isn't a whole lot better either.  

I don't care for the Wesen world domination storyline - that just happens to be headquartered in Portland. Sometimes when shows attempt an arching storyline they fall prey to coming across as if they're making it up as they go along instead of having an actual plan.

The rooms in the bunker do look like jail cells.  Although I still don't feel sorry for Eve.   

Edited by Feline Goddess
  • Love 2

I think this episode was filmed it late September or early October, when it was still fairly warm here...and I'm sure the swimmers had wet suits on (sort of...I don't know...I haven't watched this yet).  But it was filmed out at Lake Estacada and people do swim there into September, so....

Ah, makes sense.  The young woman did not appear to have a wet suit, but what was standing out to me is that in most of the episode people were wearing their usual lumberjack-y clothes.  Pretty lake.  And OtterMommy, you are cleared for take-off on this Adalind-rapemance-free episode. 

• Love 1

Although, I still thought that it was better than the scenes with Eve/Juliette (and are we calling her Evilette now?) which were just tiring. 

I refuse to call her Eve.  Having PTSD and changing your name is not "dying" and being reborn as a different person.  Honestly (and I say this as a person who hasn't been watching lately), I think the plot *might* be more interesting if they just called a spade a spade (or a Juliette a Juliette) and skipped this whole "I'm a new person" thing and just said something like "the old Juliette is gone."

On a side note, one of my daughter's good friends is named Evelette and now the image of a cute little curly-haired 7 year old is stuck in my head whenever I think of Evilette....

• Love 2

This show is getting too dumb for its own good. Again with the Hitler was Wesen thing (and apparently all Nazis by extension as well or did the Nazi-Wesen simply trick humans into following them? But how would Wesen-World-Domination need any human involvement to begin with? Or did they mean to kill/subjugate them after accomplishing the mission? Or are all Germans Wesen, except the persecuted groups, of course? I could go on...)!

I sometimes think they didn't manage to develop the Royals/Resistance dichotomy in a satisfying way and rather than scaling back to the formula that worked, they chose to go even bigger and more convoluted. Making it even worse.

None of this is working for me. And somehow the glimpses of the old Grimm (I did enjoy parts of the monster by the lake story) make the rest eve more frustrating.

• Love 3

I'd have to agree.  This show is so far removed from what it once was.  I can no longer stand Adalind and Juliette/Eve, both of whom I didn't mind in small doses before.  I'm even starting to dislike Nick, and for whatever reason, Teresa was getting on my nerves during this episode, and I wasn't feeling Meisner at all. 

This Black Claw thing is really, really boring me to tears.  Is this just another shiny new toy that will turn out like the Royals and the Keys, somewhat secretive and mystical, but ultimately leads nowhere? 

The Wesen of Week was, at least, fairly interesting.  The way some of the scenes were shot, I thought, was a small shout-out to Jaws.

Edited by Fable
  • Love 1

Can someone refresh my memory as to the relationship between Trubel and Eve? I've totally lost track. Trubel claimed she didn't know Juliette had survived, let alone was acting as an operative for this organization they both worked for. But she DID know they had taken Juliette's body, and were hoping for this, though she didn't think to mention the possibility to Nick. But now we see Trubel and Eve living and working together? I mean, Juliette walked into that ops-room with Nick, and Trubel did not react to her presence AT ALL, which seems really weird for someone seeing the big-sister-figure they KILLED alive again for the first time. Am I missing something, or does none of this make any sense? Trubel is my favourite thing this show has ever done, hands down. But she is driving me crazy this season because either she knows everything about what's happening and is lying about it for some reason (but the show is setting her up as our trustworthy entry point to this organization, so that doesn't work), or she DOESN'T know and just doesn't care.

This is so frustrating! I want my uncomplicated badass back!

• Love 6

Trubel, Juliette and Adalind can all bite the dust real soon.

I liked the wesen of the week story, Renard finding out about Meisner and Nick getting closure that his mother has been buried.  

Renard is way too smoking hot for that woman!

• Love 2

I'm not sure if something subconscious was going on with my brain, but I inadvertently pushed the wrong button and failed to record this episode on my DVR . So I will have to wait I think eight days before NBC makes it available online .

I kind of like to see this episode since there's no Rape-Mance.

I think I've got the idea of what's going on based on these posts. But just to clarify, the reference to Rosalie's past is a brother, right? And not the good looking ex from season one , who was part of the Resistence? ( One of the better episodes IMO) I would like to see him again . But it sounds like the Resistence storyline has morphed into HW.

THIS SHOW IS SO AWFUL

Also, I enjoyed the Friday the 13thing of the straight up slasher style teen couple. Well done, show. Maybe Grimm should just like, copy other stuff for awhile. It clearly doesn't know how to do anything on its own.

I refuse to call her Eve.  Having PTSD and changing your name is not "dying" and being reborn as a different person.  Honestly (and I say this as a person who hasn't been watching lately), I think the plot *might* be more interesting if they just called a spade a spade (or a Juliette a Juliette) and skipped this whole "I'm a new person" thing and just said something like "the old Juliette is gone."

On a side note, one of my daughter's good friends is named Evelette and now the image of a cute little curly-haired 7 year old is stuck in my head whenever I think of Evilette....

I get the feeling that whatever happened to Eve/Juliette is quite a bit more extensive than PTSD and a name change.  Meisner seemed to defer to her.  Eve seems to be in a leadership position, at least of that cell of Hadrian's Wall.  Whatever her moral leanings at any given time, Juliette was essentially an animal doctor who got superpowers.  No covert operations unit would put Juliette in as a shotcaller.  So, Eve is not Juliette.  Eve is someone who seems to have extensive experience with covert operations.  It's very possible that Eve is a dead operative of Hadrian's wall whose spirit was placed in Juliette's body, either displacing or controlling Juliette's mind and spirit.

• Love 1

Heh, nice that Nick and Hank have a rep for closing 'weird' cases. Shows that normal people are paying attention in some ways.

Maybe it's the motorcycle, Grimm powers, and her dark looks, but Trubel reminds me of a female Dick Grayson/Nightwing.

While I love me some old school Grimm, I don't mind the new Agents of Grimm. This whole secret federal government vs Black Claw feels like a potential spin off set up for Trubel and Meisner if it proves successful for fans (or at least if NBC feels it has potential). Since it's an elite group, it easily sets up for them to bring on more characters for both sides. Since it's also an international uprising then they can globe trot to show us more Grimm and wesen uprising fighters in other locations.

NuJu is crap. Wasn't she supposed to not have any of Juliette's memories? But no, she's like "Yeah, I killed your mom and did a bunch of other heinous crap to you, why aren't you over it yet, you freakin weakling, ugh" and it's just ridiculous. I mean, seriously. What is any viewer supposed to think about that? How am I supposed to react to that? Also, I am not living in that freakin bunker, suck it, the abandoned lead paint factory even sucks less than that place. My god.

• Love 2

She specifically mentioned "doing to Nick" what was "done to" her by FBI-secret-whoevers. Just because she knows what Juliette did/who Juliette was, etc. doesn't actually mean she is Juliette, or remembers those things personally. Although she could. It's unclear so far. I still think cyborg.

I dislike how it seems every week Rosalie is more and more so the exposition fairy. I mean, she sells it better than plenty of other actors would, but it's so damn clunky. And lazy writing. And hanging a lantern on a clunk-moment doesn't make it cheeky or less clunk. They've always done this with her on this show but either I'm even less patient than usual or it is getting worse.

Am I the only person getting a serious La Femme Nikita vibe off this show lately? Between "Eve's" Nikita-esque wigs, the Section One chic decor look going on in the Super Sekret Bunker, and the Michael-levels of manly, wordless brooding Nick has reached, it's like watching an entirely different show. WTH happened?

On a positive note, it was nice to see Trubel helping out with the case and being badass again. Looking forward to learning more about Rosalie's past, too.

In the previous episode Eve specifically stated to Nick that she remember everything she'd done as Juliette.

This!  Which means everything being written is complete and utter BS.  I hope Juliette turns on the HW folks and Nick is the one that eventually kills her crazy ass.

Am I the only person getting a serious La Femme Nikita vibe off this show lately? Between "Eve's" Nikita-esque wigs, the Section One chic decor look going on in the Super Sekret Bunker, and the Michael-levels of manly, wordless brooding Nick has reached, it's like watching an entirely different show. WTH happened?

On a positive note, it was nice to see Trubel helping out with the case and being badass again. Looking forward to learning more about Rosalie's past, too.

Juliette is a wannabe Sydney Bristow (Alias) copycat.

All I know is Nick the Grimm is a fourth or fifth side character in his own titled show and that is a tragedy!

• Love 2

I'm really not buying the argument that Eve isn't Juliette, ergo has no responsibility for Juliette's actions.  I think Nick believes it's a big load, too.  Sorry, you still have Juliette's memories and her soul.  Doesn't matter that you walk and talk like Mr. Spock now.  They can reprogram you all they want to turn you into a killing machine for good, but you're still accountable and need to face the music for Juliette's crimes after you've helped stop this Wesen uprising.  Not that I'm certain she will ever have to face justice on this show.

I found Nick and Hank's solution to the creature from the black lagoon problem kind of disturbing.  Nick's logic was simply, "well, we can never make the charges stick because he's a Wesen, so we'll have to kill him."  So basically they've become rogue cops.  I'm on board with that, but then they basically recruited Trubel to kill him, but didn't tell her to kill him, just hoped she would kill him when they fought.  Something about that doesn't sit right.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 2

Disclaimer: Yes...lurker in transition

Yes...I have always disliked Juliette with no limits or boundaries.

Yes...I actually don't mind Adalind with Nick, though it's entirely possible that my acceptance of Adalind is that her presence is the absence of Nickette

Had the giggles, I did, at seeing the title of the episode, when for some reason my selective dyslexic brain heard/saw Erectile Dysfunction as it's moniker; and immediately concluded after the watch that my errant  brain assimilated the name perfectly. The main plot just limped along, what with Nick's breach (as it were) of the Hadrian wall, Meiser's vague explanation about a secret government task force and JulEve's detached annoying drone, it technically gave me some more information about 'the soldiers fighting the upcoming Wesen war'; but I learned nothing about 'big brother'. I learned nothing important about JulEve--except that she has many wigs and is Juliette with one less trait---this newer one smiles less and smirks less. I learned nothing about what was done to her---was there a lobotomy? I learned nothing about why this woman is so important to the cause. The reason may be forthcoming, but right now I'm just anxious about this working together thingie.

Aren't there more Grimms in the world who could be trained? It's been established that JulEve can kill many with a single frown--or at least render them flabby . I suppose this is the special talent they are after?---making men limp?

The second encounter with Nick was just a bit more frustrating than the first. The conversation was not only stilted, It had a scolding and dismissive tone. Nick has to prove himself to her? Stop living in the past? Is she the boss of Nick now? "My only regret is that you didn't have a chance to bury Juliette". If only---although he was led to a graveyard, Eve and Juliette could have been buried there.

In other news:

Sea monster caught--brothers out of business.

Happy couple receives troubling letter from IRS. (Irritating rogue suitor)

Police Chief endorses mayoral endorsement--answers hard questions. Yes,  Renard get's laid, clearly no reptile dysfunction there.

• Love 1

I found Nick and Hank's solution to the creature from the black lagoon problem kind of disturbing.  Nick's logic was simply, "well, we can never make the charges stick because he's a Wesen, so we'll have to kill him."  So basically they've become rogue cops.  I'm on board with that, but then they basically recruited Trubel to kill him, but didn't tell her to kill him, just hoped she would kill him when they fought.  Something about that doesn't sit right.

Still haven't watched this ep, but I found this paragraph a little disturbing when put up against one of my favorite episodes, the Krampus ep.  Remember, in that one, both Hank and Monroe (!!) were telling Nick he had to kill Krampus because he was Wesen and they could never make anything stick and Nick wouldn't do it (and then Krampus woged into a middle aged photographer.  Problem....solved?)  So, if Nick "going dark" means now he's willing to just kill wesen, or have them killed, so he doesn't have to deal with them is just a cop out.  It doesn't make him dark, it makes him lazy.

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 2

Personally, I feel that Nick is turning into the Grimms of old by having all of his unusual Wesen suspects turn up dead and/or missing. Yeah, so he has Wesen friends; so I feel that shouldn't be a big of a deal than it is being treated on the show, but his aunt nearly married a Wesen. I feel like maybe this is how nearly half of all Grimms start out- they start out like, "hey I am going to be different and  be a more justice and kind Grimm than my parent (s) before me. But within a few years of dealing with Wesen-related crap Nick starts to finally realize why some of his ancestors were known bloodthirsty Wesen murders. He just doesn't want to deal with it and just want the case to be over with as soon as possible with as little strings left hanging as possible. 

Which, IMO, is disturbing because the hero is turning into someone whose first response is to kill than to capture. I can understand if there was absolutely no way  to stop someone and/or killing in self-defense but seriously I do think that Nick is turning into one of those Grimms that just ends up killing all of the Wesens that come their way. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 2

It's almost stunning to me to see how much less I enjoy this show now that Juliette is back. She never bothered me as much as others but now I can't stand the sight of her. She's the very definition of "no one was clamoring."

• Love 4