Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Make A Statement

I couldn't get passed Kelly's blue lips. Egad! She looked like she made out with a Smurf! Now that I got that off my chest:

I wasn't surprised Tim used his save for Zachary. He belongs in the finale.

I liked Peytie and Maya's designs. They were both different and well made. These girls really are very talented. And Maya is only 14.

I wasn't crazy about Samantha's design. The hem was uneven. Same for Zachary's dress. I feel like I've seen it before.

I can't wait to see what these kids show at Fashion week

• Love 7

Pretty predictable that Tim would bust out the save for Zachary, but I ain't mad about it. These are seriously great kids, the talent is just the icing on the cake.

Looking forward to meeting the parents of these younguns.

• Love 6

Kelly looked like her lips were frostbitten. That's all I got from this episode.

(Not really, but I kept waiting for them to cut back to her so that I could continue to comment on them.)

• Love 1

I said before it started that all 4 deserved to go and whoever got cut, Tim would save because none of these 4 deserved to be cut. So , yeah, big surprise. and Kelly is getting heavy again, the blue lips were to distract..how she keeps getting these jobs on TV is beyond me.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 3

Yes, Peytie and Maya for the win. The work that Maya produced was so sophisticated, both in design and execution. The back was great, and the boning showed a phenomenal skill level...even Christian was impressed. Having to use those press-ons...adding black to black for depth was a great idea. 

And Peytie...again, the best with prints, and how perfectly fitted were those romper shorts. Loved the belt, the back, the whole look.

Where is Nina Garcia?  We got your editorial right here. Old Nina might finally have been pleased by what came down the runway.

Glad Zach was saved...he is so talented. Loved his color combo and agreed completely with Christian...that pleated material should have been more visible.

And of course, Samantha. Again with a jacket, and men's wear. The dress was ok, but the construction doesn't match the skill level of Peytie and Maya. Did she not notice the uneven hem? Isn't the first time she has sent unfinished or poorly constructed stuff down the runway...e.g. the white dress unsewn and the major hole in the hem of the skirt last week. Enough to get anyone else aufed. 

• Love 8

When the designers were explaining the inspirations behind their designs, I realized that they're not just better designers than the majority of the Lifetime-era seasons of Original Recipe PR, they're also more articulate and thoughtful!

I loved all the looks tonight, tbh. Peytie's and Maya's especially, but they were all good.

• Love 11

I'm glad Tim used his save for Zachary. I was crying along with him and the judges when he got offed. To see that stiff faced editor woman break down was really shocking. Although I think Maya and Peytie are a bit more talented I'm glad to see that all 4 will be in the final.

Both Zachary and Samantha need to work harder on their finishing but that will probably come with more experience.

I'd like to see either Maya or Peytie win. Those 2 are just amazing especially for their ages. I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds for them both.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 11

Whew..I was holding my breath throughout the episode.  I figured Zachary was a goner and I wanted to cry.  He's been my favorite all season.  I was dying to see him in the finale and see his collection.

I am not a fan of Stephanie.  I'm sick of her coats and I'm surprised she hasn't been called out because of it.  I miss Nina!

OMG Kelly..those lips!!!  Wasn't there a designer that wore blue lipstick recently?  I remember being startled when she appeared.

• Love 2

I was crying along with Zachary, even though I knew Tim would save him. His original sketch looked amazing, but they had so little time he just lost his way. Samantha's outfit was cute, but no wow factor and the wonky hem looked bad. Maya and Peytie had lovely and original designs. I loved Peytie's story about how people at her school made tee shirts saying "you can't sit with me" and she made one saying "you can sit with me". What a sweet girl.

• Love 10

I would be hard pressed to choose between Maya and Peytie...both lovely, both highly skilled and incredibly talented. What a winning pair. And Zachary is a charmer as well..Time was against him..he just is not a speed demon like Peytie and Maya...both of whom had very complicated elements to their designs, but still managed to finish under the wire. Without that time crunch, I am sure he will present his best work. Looking forward to all three.

And, would like to add that the ad for the adult all-stars was a jarring note. All the hissy fits and drama i find so tiresome in the adult PR. Jeez, I hope they take a note from these juniors...who have skills, talent and maturity to burn.

• Love 9

Im halfway through the episode but I have to say I LOOOOOVE the brown-black dress Paytie is wearing the first day of the challenge, it seems very similar design as the pink one she designed couple episodes ago for Knicks fancer but I just love the colorblocking on this one. Me want and I don't even wear dresses.

Also one thing I realized few months ago when we finally got high definition tv - Tim has horrible skin. Its always red and weird. Surprised he doesn't cover it with makeup but maybe that worsens it.

OK back to see the runway...

Edited by ava111
  • Love 1

These designers are wonderful, and have so many ideas.  I'm amazed at how skilled Peytie and Maya are, both in expressing their creativity and their construction. 

I'm glad all four are in the final.  Zachary had an off-night, but otherwise did in the other challenges.  Sam, well, I don't like her stuff, but the judges have always favored her designs so I expected that.

• Love 3

I'm with everybody else in absolutely loving these kids and this season.  They all deserve to show at fashion week, and even though I would love for Peytie to win, I would honestly be fine with any of them taking the prize.  

I hope Nina, Heidi and Zac have watched these kids and realize what CAN actually be up there on the runway. 

I noticed the ad for PR: All Stars coming up in February.  It's going to be difficult to transition from this show with it's inspirational style, talent, maturity and support to the adult version filled with pedestrian style, childishness and snark.  Seriously.  

• Love 14

I am fine with all four going to fashion week. I am glad Tim saved Zachary - he has worked hard and (in my opinion) had an off day.  (His original design looked good - as someone said - I think he just got lost/overwhelmed)

I really loved Peytie and Maya's designs. 

This group was just so articulate as they described how they came to their design.  They seemed to have really thought about what their design was saying about them as people not just designers.  They also seem more self-aware about themselves and their work.  I am going to miss them - their adult counterparts could learn a lot from them - "losing" with grace, being honestly supportive of each other, and seem genuinely happy for each other.

• Love 4
I noticed the ad for PR: All Stars coming up in February.  It's going to be difficult to transition from this show with it's inspirational style, talent, maturity and support to the adult version filled with pedestrian style, childishness and snark.  Seriously.

All-Stars (should that be in quotes?) is going to be hard to take.  However, they don't get to go to Fashion Week, right?  But the kids do.  I imagine that must annoy them, I'll hold onto that when they get unnecessarily dramatic. 

Hearing the budget for this challenge and then the time limit makes me want them to figure out a challenge where people can buy more time.  So you have less to work with, maybe, but you could get a couple extra hours.  

I don't want to jinx Maya by rooting for her but, as others have noted, there's something really special about that kid.  I was disappointed that the boning she put in didn't really seem to stand out all that much as the model walked, but damn that was a smart, well-executed concept.  I hope she takes it.  

I'm glad Tim used the save because his words with the judges and what we saw of his words with Zachary did not sync up, from what I could remember.  I thought he told Zachary to keep going down a path, it didn't come off like some long deep conversation in which Zachary was totally aimless.  He was at first, Tim guided him out of it- that was the narrative I got, anyhow.

Is this a two-part finale then a reunion or lost footage or something?  I'm kinda not ready to let it go.

• Love 4

For once, the Tim Gunn Save didn't seem like a gimmick. Zachary didn't have a clear idea of what he wanted to do from the get-go, and he ended up psyching himself out. It would have been a shame if he hadn't been able to put a collection together.

I am pulling for either Maya or Peytie for the win. I probably loved Peytie's design more overall in this challenge. She really elevated the Bohemian girl. But my favorite detail was the back of Maya's outfit. I thought that showed what a sophisticated eye she has for design. And holy buckets, Maya is just so freakishly mature. I don't mean that kind of faux worldliness that some annoyingly precocious kids can emanate. She just seems so secure and confident in her place in the universe. 

I get where Sam is coming from in her design. I have liked some of the stuff she's done, but for my fashion preference, a little menswear goes a long way. Too much of it starts to feel costume-y to me.

• Love 3

I noticed the ad for PR: All Stars coming up in February.  It's going to be difficult to transition from this show with it's inspirational style, talent, maturity and support to the adult version filled with pedestrian style, childishness and snark.  Seriously.  

It is going to feel cheap, petty and tired.   When Zachary was eliminated and the girls were crying with him in the lounge, there wasn't the least hint of disingenuousness or schadenfreude.   They were genuinely sad their friend and someone whom they respect as a designer was leaving.      We've witnessed similar scenes in the adult versions, but it always seems like crocodile tears -- a suspicion sometimes borne out by the talking heads.

Although the season isn't over yet, I would judge it a resounding success.   It's so upbeat and positive and good, it even won over an old cynic like me. 

Maya for the win!

• Love 12

Zachary was cracking up this week. Loved when he was sewing his model into her skirt and he told her that if fell off on the runway to pretend that it was supposed to be a dramatic moment. But my favorite Zachary moment this week:

Zachary: I'll be your Pippa Middleton.

Maya: I don't know what that is.

Zachary: Didn't you watch the royal wedding?

Maya: No.

Zachary: Oh goodness.

I also loved that when the host congratulated them on being the top four, he grabbed Maya's hand and then looked over at Peytie and Samantha to smile at them.

What I love about Peytie is that her design style is recognizable so I know which is hers whenever I see the models coming down the runway, but her designs don't look the same every week. Even though the judges keep saying that she is designing for a boho girl, I feel like many of her designs could be worn by non-boho girls and it wouldn't look like someone wearing a costume or trying to look boho.

I loved the way she manifested her inspiration of coming out of her shell into the actual structure of her garment. I also loved the story about the t-shirt she made in middle school. I have to admit as an old person, it cracks me up when these teenagers talk about middle school like it was a million years ago. I was like Peytie, you are only 15! Wasn't middle school only a year or two ago for you?

On a shallow note, once again I really liked the dress that Peytie wore on the runway. I do judge designers on what they wear (which I realize may not be as fair for younger designers because they are a lot more restricted by their parents, their school rules, etc) and Peytie always looks cute and well put together whether she's wearing something loose and casual or something more fitted and girlie.

Similarly, I liked the way Maya translated her strong warrior woman with a rib cage to protect her heart and a strong back bone into that amazing jacket. And huge kudos to her for creating the structure out of all that boning which is a huge pain in the ass to sew. I loved how she made the racerback of the dress match up with the cutout on the back of the structured jacket. That long black coat could have looked too goth, too mature, too Morticia, etc. so she did a great job of keeping it looking sophisticated but youthful.

In past seasons of regular PR, I have complained about the designers having these long stories about their designs because I don't care what your inspiration or your story is if the end result isn't awesome. But in the case of both Maya and Peytie, their inspirations fed the designs and they made sense (unlike half the adult dummies who had stories about how their girl was a New York ingenue who was a strong woman studying architecture but also a dog walker who loved fairies and goth).

I really disliked Samantha's design, but I could tell that the judges loved it from their reactions when her model was on the runway. I don't know why she was so insistent on having that jacket because it covered up most of her dress. The pinstriped dress felt like it was barely a step above Alyssa Milano's "line" of sports jerseys as dresses. It also looked like it would be unflattering on most body types. I don't want to sound like Heidi with her "it's not sexy" criticism of anything that doesn't have a plunging neckline, but the way the top was cut will make a lot of women look flat chested. The only part of the silhouette that would be flattering on a woman's body was the belt cinching in the waist of the dress. The jacket was just a shapeless baggy thing on top. My sister had a jacket just like that in the 80s. Again, I'm not saying that everything has to be tight or fitted, but there was nothing to her jacket except the design on the pockets.

I didn't love Zachary's dress this week. It wasn't terrible but it was kind of blah. There was no wow factor for me. As Kelly said, he really loves a deep V and a peplum. I don't think that it was unique or special. My favorite part was the iron on transfer part he did on the organza back. I really appreciate that he knows so much about designers like Dior. It drives me crazy regular PR when the designers have no knowledge about past designers or fashion history.

My main issue with the bottom two looks (Samantha and Zachary) is that they both looked like pieces you can already buy at the mall.

Poor Zachary. I am a cryer so I know what it's like to burst into tears and then not be able to stop the waterworks and the sniffling. You could just see his heart breaking into a million little pieces on the runway when they eliminated him. And I loved how sincere all the judges were with him after the elimination. You could tell that they all felt bad. Loved Christian offering him help in anything he needed in the future.

I loved that when Tim walked into the stew room, he already had his handkerchief in his hand. I'm glad he used his save, but I am curious as to how many dummy collections they had at fashion week. It feels like every year on regular PR, they have so many decoy collections from eliminated designers that they might as well just let all the contestants show these days. But I am happy that Zachary gets to be a finalist!

I agree with Tim that Zachary just had an off day (and when you only have one day to do a challenge, that's enough to get you eliminated). Before Tim came into the work room for critiques, Zachary said he had already scrapped three bodices and two skirts, and we saw some of his rejects.

I agree that the next season of All Stars (heh, or "All Stars") is going to be painful to watch after this. These teenagers have more talent, maturity, grace, and humanity than most of the immature temper tantrum throwing drama queens we get stuck with on regular PR. Case in point: when Zachary was stuck this week, Maya asked him what was bothering him about what he was making and gave him some sincere advice. Imagine that situation on regular PR. There would be some people rolling their eyes, some talking heads ("He is in trouble but that's fine because he needs to go home!"), and at least one person deliberately giving bad advice just to screw with them.

I think that the whole "make your own textile" part of this challenge could have been a lot more fun. I was hoping to see that incorporated into their garments in a bigger way, not just in the small ways that they used it. But I totally get that they only had one day.

• Love 10

I loved the way she manifested her inspiration of coming out of her shell into the actual structure of her garment. I also loved the story about the t-shirt she made in middle school. I have to admit as an old person, it cracks me up when these teenagers talk about middle school like it was a million years ago. I was like Peytie, you are only 15! Wasn't middle school only a year or two ago for you?

Similarly, I liked the way Maya translated her strong warrior woman with a rib cage to protect her heart and a strong back bone into that amazing jacket. And huge kudos to her for creating the structure out of all that boning which is a huge pain in the ass to sew. I loved how she made the racerback of the dress match up with the cutout on the back of the structured jacket. That long black coat could have looked too goth, too mature, too Morticia, etc. so she did a great job of keeping it looking sophisticated but youthful.

I agree that the next season of All Stars (heh, or "All Stars") is going to be painful to watch after this. These teenagers have more talent, maturity, grace, and humanity than most of the immature temper tantrum throwing drama queens we get stuck with on regular PR. Case in point: when Zachary was stuck this week, Maya asked him what was bothering him about what he was making and gave him some sincere advice. Imagine that situation on regular PR. There would be some people rolling their eyes, some talking heads ("He is in trouble but that's fine because he needs to go home!"), and at least one person deliberately giving bad advice just to screw with them.

I think that the whole "make your own textile" part of this challenge could have been a lot more fun. I was hoping to see that incorporated into their garments in a bigger way, not just in the small ways that they used it. But I totally get that they only had one day.

I always laugh when one of the kids says something like "I've wanted to do this for my WHOLE LIFE" or "ever since I was a kid". They're adorable.

Zachary was never my favorite but I was thrilled for him. He deserved the save. He's a sweet kid and really talented. Christian was so kind to him. I have always loved Christian, ever since I saw his first audition video before season 4. He is a wonderful judge, he gives thoughtful and well considered critiques and doesn't waste his time trying to come up with "hilarious" zingers. I almost cried myself when I saw all the judges weeping openly.

The "make your own textile" aspect was almost like overkill, and they all handled it so well! The accents were subtle and well incorporated with the designs. Nicely done.

I don't even recognize half the people in the All Stars cast. There are LOTS of people I would rather see again--couldn't we go back a few seasons and pick up some early bootees? I would love to see Malan from Season 3, or poor Jack Mackenroth, who had to leave for medical reasons. Or Becky (season 9?) who was the punching bag for that asshole Orange Josh. Why the mediocrities from the last few seasons? it is to weep.

• Love 5
and Kelly is getting heavy again, the blue lips were to distract..how she keeps getting these jobs on TV is beyond me.

Or...she's fine with her weight and simply likes out-of-the-ordinary makeup? God forbid someone not look like everyone else (not that this kind of lipstick is uncommon). And exactly who the hell can't see a person's body because of lip color?

that stiff faced editor woman

The stiff-faced editor woman was all sex-potted up last night, with the big hair and bright dress! She looked good!

Samantha's outfit looked like a femmed-up baseball uniform to me. And Samantha herself reminds me of Lisa Bonet. 

Not at all surprised that all four are going to Fashion Week. But, oh my goodness, could they not have used the TG Save before the poor kid was in tears, man?! Awwww!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5

Tim has rosacea. He talks about it in one of his books. It makes your skin very red. Makeup would make it ten times worse.

I love these kids so much talent. So much.....nice.

I really hope peytie wins. I've wanted every single thing she's made. And I love her personal style

• Love 3

Looking forward to meeting the parents of these younguns.

I'm already steeling myself for the revelation that their parents are going to be younger than me. 

I enjoyed the episode but it was incredibly repetitive. Talking head interviews about their inspirations, then again to Tim and then again to the judges. We get it. Leader! Old soul! Middle school! Ribcage!

• Love 7

Last night was the final proof (to me) that the Junior designers this season were as a group so much more talented than the last few seasons of the "grown ups".   Maya & Peytie especially, but even my less-favorite Samantha and Zachary have major talent and sense of design.  I also really appreciate how mature they all are and how well they handle the pressure and the competition.  They had a real camaraderie and showed empathy and joy being around each other.  We never heard "I'm not here to make friends" or nasty TH's like "This is Project Runway, not Project (fill in the blank w/ snide remark).  I've enjoyed this season a lot thanks to these young designers. 

My dislike for Hannah the Host is my only real peeve.  Hannah is attractive & I guess she is a good model. But she seems so robotic.  She says the words (in a stilted manner) but her face doesn't register the matching emotion. Her delivery and expression for her "Congratulations.  You. Are. The. Winner." announcement is the same as her "We. Are. Sorry. But. You. Are. Out.".  Has she OD'd on Botox at such a young age?  The muscles on her face do not move and she has that frozen Joker-ish smile perma-face.

• Love 2
Tim has rosacea. He talks about it in one of his books. It makes your skin very red. Makeup would make it ten times worse.

I was wondering about this. I read his books but didn't remember this part (I do, however, always remember the part where an eight-year-old Tim yelled, "Ethel Mertz is here?!" It makes me laugh. And, awwww, a little Tim!). He should try Bare Minerals; my friend with rosacea loves it! (I loved it too...for a month or so, after which it started to give my stupid sensitive skin tiny hives. Jerks.)

• Love 1

Tim would have saved Samantha had she been the one, too. 

I loved Peytie's finale dress!  Loved it.  For me it was the best of the lot.  I liked Maya's outfit more after Christian praised the work on it.  It struck me as a costume for and evil character in a movie.  Zachary's love of the peplum will hold him back from the win if he continues to use that.   They have not been in style for a long time and I have never liked them.  

I liked Samantha's work in the beginning and then she lost me.  

• Love 1

Not sure what it says about me that I didn't even notice the blue lipstick, but I really, really do not like Kelly Osborne.  She does not seem at all genuine to me, she has an air of inflated self-importance.  She has really bought into her own hype.  I have never heard her contribute anything useful or intelligent to the discussion.  I have a lot more respect for Hannah Davis.

This was a good finale, I enjoyed it.  Zachary is so loveable.  I was not impressed with the dress that Samantha made -- I guess it took talent but it wasn't to my taste.  That print was yawn-worthy.

• Love 1

I get a smug vibe from Samantha. Having said that, I still like her just fine and she's way better than almost all the designers on regular PR so I'm fine with her being in the finale. I just hope she doesn't win, as is my right to feel that way.

I think Tim would have saved WHOMEVER was sent packing. Those four all deserve to be in the finale. They were the four best the whole season.

I'm rooting for Maya or Peytie. Probably Peytie a bit more because Maya is so young, but I love them both.

I will really miss this when it's gone.

• Love 2

I cried for Zachary and was thrilled he got Tim's save. All season there was something that bugged me about Peytie and I now know what it is-----she dresses FAR too sexy and inappropriate

for her age. What she wears is appropriate for 20 year olds and older, not a teenager.

Looking forward to the Fashion Week designs. If the preview is any indication, it looks like the designers have some problems.

I don't care if Pantone says blue lipstick is IN, no one looks good in that color. Paired with her strange hair, Kelly just looks plain weird. I don't know who's worse, Kelly or Raven-Symone on the View.

• Love 2

I think Tim would have saved WHOMEVER was sent packing. Those four all deserve to be in the finale. They were the four best the whole season.

I find myself wondering if the save was part of the plan before the challenge started, maybe even as far back as two episodes ago.   It might explain last week's surprise double elimination.   If Jaxson or Zach had made it to this week, the "save" would have been awkward because one kid would still be left crying.

• Love 2

Happy ending.  :)

Oh, and Kelly?

nugz45g.gif

Hysterical!

I didn't mind the blue lips for what they were.  "A for effort" in pushing the envelope.  What bothered me most was the shadow they caused.  Horrible choice for the camera.  So bad it makes me question her ability as a judge. I mean really, any fashionista should know better.

Anyhoo, I am beyond thriled all 4 are going to the finale.  They all deserve it, although this was the first time I sort of questioned Samantha's look.  I liked it but agree with the judges that she needs to make her work pop a bit more.  It's missing something.  I think my personal taste leans closest to Peytie's and Samantha's for day wear.  Zach for evening wear.  I think Maya is really high-end and I don't relate to it as much as a result but I can't help but appreciate her sophisticated eye - and skill!

I think I find Peytie's and Zacharay's work the most interesting.  They have a lot of nuances built into their work that I make me want to look at them time and time again.

I like 'em all!

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 2
Zachary was cracking up this week. Loved when he was sewing his model into her skirt and he told her that if fell off on the runway to pretend that it was supposed to be a dramatic moment. But my favorite Zachary moment this week:

Zachary: I'll be your Pippa Middleton.

Maya: I don't know what that is.

Zachary: Didn't you watch the royal wedding?

Maya: No.

Zachary: Oh goodness.

My favorite moment was when he was eliminated, bawling, and when the host got up to get a hug he mentioned not wanting to ruin her silk top.  The kid is hilarious, and I love how much he knows about fashion (or seems to, since I don't know enough to validate his statements).  I like that this season has some who seem to be more natural talents and others who are a little studied/cultivated, but in the best sense of that term.

My dislike for Hannah the Host is my only real peeve.  Hannah is attractive & I guess she is a good model. But she seems so robotic.  She says the words (in a stilted manner) but her face doesn't register the matching emotion. Her delivery and expression for her "Congratulations.  You. Are. The. Winner." announcement is the same as her "We. Are. Sorry. But. You. Are. Out.".  Has she OD'd on Botox at such a young age?  The muscles on her face do not move and she has that frozen Joker-ish smile perma-face.

I haven't felt like she's robotic.  Sometimes I feel like she's struggling to be neutral, in those moments when she has to deliver a dramatic elimination and try to inject some suspense.  So it's more...holding back, imho.  I really like her though.  To me she falls more towards the Cat Deeley (So You Think You Can Dance) side of hosting as opposed to the more detached Ryan Seacrest/Heidi Klum.  I think it fits. 

One thing I forgot to mention initially- if I were the sponsor I'd have been pissed.  The budget was massive, they didn't need to decorate with iron on decals.  None of them really did, and the judges barely seemed to care.  They should have sponsored an earlier challenge with more kids around, to show more variety of use.  Unless they weren't really selling anything, it was hard for me to tell if they were irons-only or iron-and-decal sellers.

• Love 8

The problem with the iron-ons was this: they told the kids to design according to their muse, to make something that best expresses who they are.   Immediately they start sketching and head off to the work room.

Then Tim arrives and adds, "Oh yeah, and you have to include these iron-ons."

Wrong challenge for that kind of requirement.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2

I think Peytie carries off her own personal style very well. She may dress a bit sexy for her age, but she always seems to act appropriately. It occurs to me that coming from California and being a surfer she isn't shy to hide her body which she seems  to be very comfortable with. I like her personnel style along with her designs. I'm ok with either her or Maya winning. And while I like Zachary I would be disappointed if he won. If Samantha wins I will think that the others got robbed.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 3

Peytie seems like a good kid; if all she does is dress too sexy (which I don't think is the case at all), her parents are lucky, I'd guess. She's a creative person who expresses herself with clothing--and diverse clothing at that.

• Love 2

Stopping by to say that I originally was wanting Maya for the win as she is so talented for just having turned 14.  I was going to post that I would put Peytie in 2nd place, then Zachary in 3rd, and Samantha in 4th (not a fan of her menswear inspired clothes as there's nothing new there!).  However, I went back and looked at all their designs, and have to admit, Peytie's are the ones I like the best.  She has shown us so many different looks and yet they each say "Peytie" very clearly.  I also was going to comment on the poster who said Peytie dressed too sexy, but now I can't find that post!  I think she dresses very California!  I have loved so many of the outfits she has worn.  I assume she designs her own outfits.  I work in a mid sized high school in the Midwest.  Lots of teenaged girls in my school dress too sexy.  I think Peytie looks great the way she dresses.

Edited by lark37
  • Love 6

I cried for Zachary and was thrilled he got Tim's save. All season there was something that bugged me about Peytie and I now know what it is-----she dresses FAR too sexy and inappropriate

for her age. What she wears is appropriate for 20 year olds and older, not a teenager.

Looking forward to the Fashion Week designs. If the preview is any indication, it looks like the designers have some problems.

I don't care if Pantone says blue lipstick is IN, no one looks good in that color. Paired with her strange hair, Kelly just looks plain weird. I don't know who's worse, Kelly or Raven-Symone on the View.

The Pantone colors for 2016 are Rose Quartz (baby pink) and Serenity (baby blue)...so, Kelly could have chosen to not be so outlandish and chosen a more traditional pink lipstick and still have been "on trend".  Oh - and totally agree with you about both Kelly and Raven...cannot stand her on The View!  

I'm okay with what Peytie wears - compared to what I've seen some teenager girls around here wearing, she looks fine.  

So glad that Zachary got the save and will be showing, but something tells me we're being set up for a Samantha win.

I agree that Peytie's wardrobe doesn't read too sexy for me either. So she shows her arms and legs - no big deal to me. She doesn't have her boobs or ass cheeks hanging out (which I just saw on Pitch Slapped, a reality show about two New Jersey high school acapella groups). I've lived in California for most of my life so bare arms and legs are the norm. I think she always looks fashionable but age appropriate without being ridiculously outrageous (some of the outfits I've seen on Pretty Little Liars have made me yell, "WTF?" at my screen).

My favorite moment was when he was eliminated, bawling, and when the host got up to get a hug he mentioned not wanting to ruin her silk top.  The kid is hilarious, and I love how much he knows about fashion (or seems to, since I don't know enough to validate his statements).  I like that this season has some who seem to be more natural talents and others who are a little studied/cultivated, but in the best sense of that term.

Ha, I loved that too! He is funny without being obnoxious. And I love that he knows his fashion references. It is so painful on regular PR when the designers have a challenge with a specific time period or reference and they get it all wrong. I get secondhand embarrassment from their immense lack of knowledge sometimes.

I think that the iron on pattern challenge would have been better if they had been told from the beginning that they were making their own textiles. That probably would have influenced some of their design and fabric choices. But just throwing it in later sucked so I wasn't that upset that the iron on patterns were relegated to small amounts of black on black. If they had known about it from the beginning I could see them incorporating the patterns more into their design. I was imagining a bold black print on a purplish magenta and used as a skirt.

• Love 1

I still want to buy the clothes Peytie wears herself. She looks great. Or Maya's. Target sometimes does a special effort with a high-end designer doing what is a pop-up collection...they should hire these two. I would stand in line for their stuff.

• Love 3

I'm personally Team-Not-Samantha. Her "Tomboy Chic" style does nothing for me, and aside from maybe one jacket this year, I haven't liked anything she's made. I believe she is talented, but her style is not to my taste at all.

I felt so sorry for Zachary, even though I was positive Tim would use the save on him. It had to have been heart-wrenching to get so far and lose out, especially to (sorry, but in my opinion it's true) an inferior design. I didn't really love his gown, didn't like the colors or the peplum, but I thought it was better than the alternative for the elimination.

Peytie is adorable, and she dresses cute. I see nothing inappropriately sexy about her clothing choices...I work with junior high students who dress far more inappropriately!! I think I have loved every single thing she has ever made, and I just think she seems like a complete sweetheart. Her parents must be so proud of her! She would be my choice for the win 100%, if not for...

Maya! Holy cow, what a talent! She has shown a huge variety, with very few missteps. That skirt she made last week, her sportswear outfit, that boning vest this week... She has so many ideas, and she has the drive and the talent to make them happen. You notice in the background when Tim is walking around doing critiques, her head is always down and she is focused and working. She impresses the hell out of me, she really does.

I'm all about a Maya or Peytie win, and would be thrilled for either of them to take it. If Zachary wins, it wouldn't be a travesty, because he does have a sophisticated eye and is very talented. If Samantha wins, it won't surprise me, and I don't think it would even bother me because, although I personally dislike her style, plenty of others love it and that's a valid reason for a win...unlike PR's Ashley win, all for the sake of "diversity/inclusion"! (Sorry, I'm still bitter...as a plus-size person myself, I'd never be caught dead in Ashley's clown couture.)

As for the judges, I like Hannah Davis. I think she's slightly bland, but I also like that she seems very connected to these kids and takes their feelings to heart. She's no cold fish, that one! Christian Siriano, I just blatantly adore...he seems to really recognize talent, and he also seems really eager to nurture it, offering these kids...who, let's face it, will one day be his competition...help and support. Kelly Osbourne, I'm okay with in small doses. She's not a favorite of mine, but I find her largely inoffensive here. And Aya Kanai has a real reason for being there, and the chops to back it up.

• Love 5

I still want to buy the clothes Peytie wears herself. She looks great. Or Maya's. Target sometimes does a special effort with a high-end designer doing what is a pop-up collection...they should hire these two. I would stand in line for their stuff.

Oh my god, I forgot all about this...how long has it been since Target did that? I still have some great stuff from those collaborations -- it was the only way I was ever going to be able to afford a single damn thing with Zac Posen's name on it, that's for sure (or at least afford it without feeling like a crazy indulgent idiot, that is).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

I recall reading an article a few years back that talked about how hard it is for artists to make a buck.  They would come up with something clever and the large retailers - Target was named - take the idea and mass produce it as their own.

I like the pop-up idea.  Seems that in the internet age, consumers are aware of the little guy a little more and working with up and coming designers rather than against them might be a good PR strategy for Target and others.

• Love 1

Loved the episode and the final four and found myself getting a bit emotional when Maya was explaining her work to Tim. Talking about the rib cage protecting your heart and lungs and how it's the most important I was just like, "Girl, where do these thoughts come from!!!!" And it's just so wonderful to see true budding artists living up to their potential. I can see why the adults on this show all seem so fond and attached to them. They are just so bright and gifted every one of them seems like a good person. /schmaltz

• Love 1

I recall reading an article a few years back that talked about how hard it is for artists to make a buck.  They would come up with something clever and the large retailers - Target was named - take the idea and mass produce it as their own.

I like the pop-up idea.  Seems that in the internet age, consumers are aware of the little guy a little more and working with up and coming designers rather than against them might be a good PR strategy for Target and others.

I think American Apparel and/or Urban Outfitters took a lot of shit about this kind of thing too. The Target stuff I'm recalling was in conjunction with the featured designers, who all were already quite famous at the time.

Nope, nothing,not one dang thing has Peytie ever worn have I ever raised an eyebrow at. I live at the beach and I see more body parts then I want to BUT Peytie is not one of them. I've said before she's the best. Her parents should be proud as heck with her. I really hope she wins.

Zachary is fabulous. Yes his dress this week was,well,weak. But he knows his stuff and he has a wonderful personality. I cringed on original recipe when Tim referenced Coco Chanel and the so called "designer" didn't have a clue who that was. So sad. Know the history of your art! And Zac does. 

Maya is talented also but I like Peyties designs better. MMV

Samatha? Ugh. Not her she seems nice enough but I just don't like her style at all. As someone else mentioned her sister had that jacket in the 80's. Pretty sure I did to! When it came down all the runway all I could down groan and start praying the 80's weren't coming back. Blech. Her sewing is wonky as all get it (yes,I know they only get 1 day) And I;m still trying to figure out how cargo pants were "innovative", They've been around forever.

Kelly-PLEASE in the name of all that's holy step away from the blue lipstick!!! With the weird purple hair and the blue lipstick she looks like Effie Trinket from the Hunger Games.

• Love 2