Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 1/18/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

The best way for ABC to take notice is for a major sponsor to back out because of the unprofessionalism of Whoopi. But, she is an EGOT, and that supposedly is some sort of cache for the network. It has to be the contract and/or they think Whoopi's antics makes the show relevant. Someone has to think that when it comes time for a new contract the answer is no. That is my hope anyway. The viewers leaving the show or like myself watching the After Show and only on Fridays must mean something. Or as you say in your example that the ABC executives are as vile and unprofessional as Miss Whoopi.

Sorry rcc, that quote you attributed to me was Tunia's.

LOL!!!   I remember reading aloud in class, in grade school.  I was always a good reader, was a couple years ahead of my grade.  But when I read the word "horizon"  I read it aloud the way I thought made sense, since i knew the word "horizontal".   A girl in class laughed at me, said "hor- I - zon  as she flipped her blonde curls.   And I never forgot it.  

(sorry for being off-topic, your post brought back that memory) 

And Medicine Crow -   Disney world is amazing.   You didn't like Epcot?  Animal Kingdom? Disney Studios?    We're in the process of planning a trip with our adult sons, and they can't wait to go back (me neither) 

Sorry backformore, I didn't like the Epcot Centre either.  I've never been to Disney Studios, but love, love, love ANYTHING having to do with animals.

Whoopi to Joy - ". . . hyper bowl'" ??? She is just not as smart as she puts on. When Joy corrected her with the proper pronunciation and said that she doesn't like people over-using the word "amazing" I thought of Whoopi. She cannot interview a fellow "star" without using the word amazing or fantastic. 

I was half-listening this morning, still asleep, but when I heard "hyper bowl" I couldn't believe she said it.  Whoops is never, ever wrong, though.  Been gone for a few weeks and forgot how bad it could get.  

• Love 5

Nope, CCB was not sick, IMHO. Miss Whoops insulted her blatantly saying that" we have to talk about God all the time, but now we going to talk abt movies". I think CCB was appalled at Miss Whoops' psychotic yelling and bullying, and then was targeted. It may have made her heart-sick. I used to hate when my parents fought loudly, so I wd disappear into book under the bed or outside. CCB probably went to pray for Miss Whoppi.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 11

I had a friend who would jokingly pronounce capacity as cap-a-city and he'd also say "let's sit side-by-each." 40 plus years later, I sometimes have to stop and think before I say capacity out loud.

After Whoopie's reprimand today about people questioning whether Candace actually left because she has the flu or because of yesterday's atmosphere on the set, I may have to finally give this show up. I don't watch tv to be reprimanded.

• Love 4

Hyper-bowl……Ouch.  How embarrassing for Miss Whoopi, lmao.  And she didn't really know, or understand, the incident of the Japanese interment camps and just fumbled/faked through it.  As we already know, she really thinks she's a scholar and an intellectual because she knows they are revered, respected people in society.  However she couldn't be farther from that level of knowledge and deep thinking.

She basically admitted that she had a learning disability and couldn't read the board or text books, so her mother pulled her out of school at a very young age.  Then ten minutes later she'll shove down everyone's throat how "well-read" she is.  I remember a few years ago her boasting that she's been all over the planet and understands "all kinds of folks and cultures."  I thought she never flew for most of her life until very recently.  Which is it biotch?  :)

She is sooooo insecure (overall as a person).

• Love 9

I'd hate to see you hoist on your own petard.  (Gosh, I love that phrase!

I love it too and it makes me think of Stewie Griffin! hee

I had to watch yesterday's show on Hulu last night because I was curious to see Whoopi's behavior. Just to be clear, none of us believe that Candace has the flu, right?

Im "totes" going with no flu.

• Love 4

I saw a couple other shows (Trevor Noah, Larry Wilmore)   where they discussed the OScars and the issue of Black films/actors not being nominated.   

They were able to joke around and articulate the issue so much better.   Nobody expects  Kevin Hart to get an Oscar for Ride Along 2.  But when the movie studios are making the "big"  movies,  the kind of movies that are going to be nominated and make a lot of money, they are reluctant to cast a black actor in the lead roles.  Sometimes, it's because they're worried it will be seen as a "black movie"  and it will be ignored by white audiences.  They had some good points, and the discussion was interesting.   One show even showed a clip of Miss Whoppi yelling about it, to discuss the point that boycotting the Oscars doesn't really solve the problem at all. 

I am still confused by Whoopi's point of view, she seemed to be saying the same thing that Viola Davis said a few months back, and Whoopi disagreed with her then, saying there are plenty of roles for black actors.  I get changing your mind, I get seeing both sides of an issue, I even get being conflicted about an issue.   What i don't get is Miss Whoopi being so passionate or adamant about a point of view, then doing a 180 and being equally passionate about the opposite view. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 14

Miss Whoopi's hyper-bowl is OTT.  If CCB left because of Miss Whoopi then I hope she doesn't let it drop.  If she is sick then I hope she gets better but it was odd today Miss Whoopi saying how she wished CCB was there to weigh in on evangelicals....kiss ass much Miss Whoopi?!  

• Love 10

[with Sunny] there'll be 3 conservatives and Joy

Funny, I don't take her as a conservative. Despite being pro-life, she criticized the Republicans for their rhetoric right before the Planned Parenthood clinic was shot up.  When she's on CNN she defends abused women and victims of police violence and talks about systemic racism quite a lot. She hated the Zimmerman verdict. I think she's mentioned religion a few times but it's not her go-to reference point. The law is her go-to reference point. (Yes, I like her.)

Edited by duVerre
  • Love 16
LOL!!!   I remember reading aloud in class, in grade school.  I was always a good reader, was a couple years ahead of my grade.  But when I read the word "horizon"  I read it aloud the way I thought made sense, since i knew the word "horizontal".   A girl in class laughed at me, said "hor- I - zon  as she flipped her blonde curls.   And I never forgot it. 

(sorry for being off-topic, your post brought back that memory)

And the beat goes on.  In fifth grade my best friend was reading aloud...something about the "slopes" of Norway (maybe another country).  She said "slops" and the entire class laughed.  She was and is a shy perfectionist.  She remembers that today--and not in a good way (we're 75).  As an adult, she pronounced "paprika"  PAA-prick-a.  I told her it was paa-PREEK-a.  I've heard it pronounced different ways.  On the internet, the audio pronounces it "my" way, but gives these diacritical marks:  /pəˈprikə/

I was willing to give the flu story a go.....but I doubt it now too.

Over and over today Miss Whoopi tried to insinuate by using the royal we that they got Candace immediate help for her flu as if she were involved.

And later she had the audacity to say she wished Candace was there so she could comment on some Evangelical topic they were talking about.

Miss Whoopi was OTT yesterday. I am so sick of hearing daily "you CAN'T.....!" You, me, other viewers, the audience, and the rest of the panel all have freedom of speech and free will.

I imagine she was talked to by TPTB.

• Love 10

In fifth grade my best friend was reading aloud...something about the "slopes" of Norway (maybe another country).  She said "slops"

A friend of mine, when she was a young lawyer, told me that some legal issue had her absolutely MY-zeld. I had to tell her that she was mispronouncing "misled," I didn't want her to say that in front of a judge.

• Love 3

Sorry rcc, that quote you attributed to me was Tunia's.

Sorry backformore, I didn't like the Epcot Centre either.  I've never been to Disney Studios, but love, love, love ANYTHING having to do with animals.

Sorry about that. I posted too much this afternoon and got the quotes mixed up.

Edited by rcc
  • Love 1

Funny, I don't take her as a conservative. Despite being pro-life, she criticized the Republicans for their rhetoric right before the Planned Parenthood clinic was shot up.  When she's on CNN she defends abused women and victims of police violence and talks about systemic racism quite a lot. She hated the Zimmerman verdict. I think she's mentioned religion a few times but it's not her go-to reference point. The law is her go-to reference point. (Yes, I like her.)

I know she talks about systemic racism, and that's a good thing, but that doesn't really say anything about her to me. A lot of people who are generally conservative are progressive and understanding about the one thing that affects themselves. I think what she's said about women and marriage the past two years she's appeared on this show are definitely conservative. I'm willing to guess her opinions about LGBT individuals are also conservative.

But the endpoint is she is annoying and wouldn't add anything to a show that already includes Candace and Paula. Maybe if they wanted to bump Candace out, I could see what her purpose would be, but I still wouldn't want her on the show.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1

I think Jada's rant will make it more difficult for her or Will to get a gig in Hollywood.  While they want you to think the old time blacklists don't exist, they really do and if you piss off the bigwigs in Hollywood, you're toast.   If Hollywood is watching Miss Whoopie on The View, she can expect to NOT get any good roles in movies anymore.  Actually, has she done a movie of any standing recently?  I don't think I've heard of one.  Back when Baa Baa was still on, Whoopie wasn't nearly as obnoxious as she is now.  But it's like she's gone off her meds.   BTW, am I the only person who hasn't seen Out Of Compton?  Whenever I hear people talking about that film, they all say "Everyone has seen Out of Compton".  I want to see it, but I don't know anyone in my group of family and friends who've seen it.  So, not everyone has seen that movie.  

I thought it was interesting that Miss Whoopie brought up Raven's dislike for being called an African American, and that she just prefers to be called American.  I don't think there's anything wrong with Raven feeling that way.  And, I'm surprised that Sunni and CCB don't go to the producers of the View and tell them to take the job and shove it.  I sure would if I were as disrespected as they are.  

• Love 2

I feel like it is a constant discussion of who's replacing who all the time!  Who is picking some of these lame ducks and who is allowing Miss Whoopi to behave like the neanderthal she is?  Let's start with getting rid of them first.  

Michelle adds nothing and she has been on long enough to gel and she just hasn't.  Her lame attempts at nightclub humor disrupt an already disrupted "conversation!"  

Raven is just dumb and is only capable of reading a tweet or post as she has nothing of her own to contribute other than a pouty face and rolled up eyes.

I like Sunny because she is intelligent and not afraid to disagree and is actually able to do it with passion yet be civil to the opposing view something Paula can also do but Miss Whoopi is completely lost on this aspect and as a moderator that is grounds for being canned!  She can't moderate, she just wants to debate her side of things all the time yet does not have the intelligence to do so!

I love Joy who brings it all to the show.  She fits in with anyone it appears.  

• Love 9

I really don't understand the whole PC thing either. It's a talking point by a media living in a bubble. It's just like Palin, she's not relevant, but the press covers her endorsement because they need to fill some hours, it's the most press she's received in a long time. She has a limited audience.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 7

I'm willing to guess her opinions about LGBT individuals are also conservative.

I can't remember what she has said about women in the past few years. On the LGBT front, she supported gay marriage and the right of gay men to be Boy Scout leaders. 

Please, please, PLEASE let SNL re-create Palin's unhinged, "cracky" endorsement of Trump.  Are they even live?  Hope springs eternal.  :)

I heard the report on the radio this morning.  When I saw it on TV it wasn't nearly as enjoyable.  She sounded like a crazy old coot on the radio.

• Love 2

I had to watch yesterday's show on Hulu last night because I was curious to see Whoopi's behavior. Just to be clear, none of us believe that Candace has the flu, right?

Yes, I believe Candace fell ill - either with the flu or low blood sugar.  I am not big on conspiracy theories.  

• Love 8

Hyper-bowl……Ouch.  How embarrassing for Miss Whoopi, lmao.  And she didn't really know, or understand, the incident of the Japanese interment camps and just fumbled/faked through it.

Did I really understand her to say that Chinese-Americans were placed in internment camps with Japanese-Americans because no one cared to tell them apart? I've honestly never heard that and I couldn't find anything about it online. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it seems like a footnote if it's true. I agree, she was just making stuff up to sound like she knew what she was talking about.

Man, I'm not a scholar, but I do love history. The World According To Miss Whoopi is giving me a headache.

• Love 7

Yes, I believe Candace fell ill - either with the flu or low blood sugar.  I am not big on conspiracy theories.  

We may be the only ones here who feel that way, but I also believe that Candace really wasn't feeling well.  For two reasons:

First, the way it played out looked authentic to me.  The way Joy reached over to her caught my eye first.  And then Whoopi  - in the middle of her rant - really did look concerned and her immediate question, "Do you need orange juice" made me think that they already had a heads-up that she wasn't feeling great prior to the show.  And when they went to commercial and Candace left the set, she didn't storm off.  She moved slowly.  My thoughts went immediately to low blood sugar, which you also mentioned.  The orange juice comment was too quick and too random, unless there already had been some kind of health concern earlier.  

Second, Candace has been jumped all over before, and the brief comment that Whoopi threw her way was nothing compared to what Candace has had to endure in the past.  It was one throwaway comment, and she clearly knew she wasn't the focus of Whoopi's tirade.  I don't think what Whoopi said would have caused such a huge amount of upset, and I think Candace's faith is so strong that something like that wouldn't have rattled her very much.  My feeling is that she barely heard what Whoopi was saying at all because she was already struggling with how to handle feeling so crappy on live TV.  I definitely got the impression that they all knew she had shown up that day feeling under the weather, and that the subject of orange juice as a remedy had come up prior to the show.

All of this doesn't mean that Whoopi is not a bully, of course.  But I did think that in that moment, she really was concerned, and I do think that Candace was truly not feeling well.  Obviously, I am in the minority!  Mileage most definitely varies!!

• Love 16

I hated that the View decided to just report, without looking into, yet another statistic - that 10% of college grads think Judge Judy is on the supreme court:

http://jezebel.com/i-stand-with-the-13-of-americans-who-think-judge-judy-1754032653

In a survey taken by 1,000 people, the organization asked participants to identify the U.S. Supreme Court Justice out of the following names: Elena Kagan, Lawrence Warren Pierce, John Kerry and Judith Sheindlin. Out of the sample group, less than half the general population gave the correct answer (Elena Kagan) and 13 percent answered with ya girl, Judge Judy.

The statistics were slightly more reassuring with college students, with 10 percent answering Judge Judy and the majority answering correctly

So - the MAJORITY of people answered correctly, a small percentage, probably didn't know, so they guessed randomly -  but the survey didn't say "Judge Judy"  it gave her full name.  On a multiple choice test, it's fair to guess. 

I know Sunni tells us that it is important to know the supreme court -   so how many women at the view table could recite all the supreme court justice names?  really not fair to use this to blame the educational system, unless they could do better.   

• Love 11

You are right, Backformore, in so many ways!  

The educational system could do better--with smaller classes, more teachers, and teacher assistants. I saw a 1st grade class earlier this year with 28 kids, 1 teacher, 0 assistants, and was able to identify/work with 5-6 students with significant learning needs.  Sad in 'Murica!

Let's remember though that Miss Whoops left school early, Raven and CCB were tutored on set, and Michelle--who knows?  Joy, and now Sunni, are not just intellectually knowledgeable, but also culturally informed, i.e., they keep up with news and issues.  I think, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the "notorious RBG"--(there's a book with that title!) is cultural knowledge, IMHO, learned in the last 10 or so years by paying attention to news on tv, radio (for us oldies), internet, and friends and family talk.  Not games online.  Future hosts of the spew should be contracted to do homework on HT before air time.  But then, Miss Whoops has set the bar so low, is there any hope? 

I need to go read a book now. 

• Love 6

Anyone think Hot Topics today will talk about the "sickout" of teachers from Detroit schools to protest the deteriorated conditions of their schools.  Yes, it's Detroit, but it's also America.  How can Congress not be ashamed?

• Love 3

I know Sunni tells us that it is important to know the supreme court -   so how many women at the view table could recite all the supreme court justice names?  really not fair to use this to blame the educational system, unless they could do better.   

Tbh, I don't believe Sunni could list them herself. I believe the reason this topic made Sunni and Paula excited was because it was a way for them to subtly give college students a smackdown, because they are generally liberal. Maybe it would be better to smackdown those who intentionally create dumbed down textbooks and curriculum.

• Love 1

The first time ever that I agreed with Michelle that I can recall, was when she said that "amaze-balls" and "awesome sauce" set her teeth on edge or however she phrased it. heh. Paula threw in , "at the end of the day" which I also loathe ,....which brings me to "at this point in time."

I'll see myself out. :)

• Love 10

I like Joy.

Sarah Palin can shut the hell up any day now. As a vet myself, and as someone who has friends and relatives with PTSD, they don't beat their significant others. So she can take her president blame and shove it. I hope to god she tanks Trump's run. 

So.. I agree with Joy.

• Love 22

I like Joy.

Sarah Palin can shut the hell up any day now. As a vet myself, and as someone who has friends and relatives with PTSD, they don't beat their significant others. So she can take her president blame and shove it. I hope to god she tanks Trump's run. 

So.. I agree with Joy.

Agreed! and fwiw, I hope Trump tanks by whatever means. He needs to tank.

I kind of almost felt bad for WHoops with hyper-bowl, but I just love saying it.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 8

I guess every time that Whoopi acts like a humongous asshole (like on Monday), they have to follow-up with a damage control episode like this. Look how wise Whoopi is, look how she loves everyone, look at how respected she is, and funny, la la la. Yuck.

• Love 11

I also caught that Whoopi asked Candace if she needed some juice.  Jesus Juice?

• Love 1
I hated that the View decided to just report, without looking into, yet another statistic - that 10% of college grads think Judge Judy is on the supreme court:

There's also a large percentage of college students in the U.S. who are from foreign countries.  They can't be expected to know everything.

• Love 1

The joke stealing thing a la Amy Schumer was interesting and Joy made some good points. It reminded me of the big spew over that comic Carlos Mendez a few yrs back -  if I got the name right. I haven't seen the video so "i don't know I wasn't there " hee. Ok Im an ass.

• Love 5

If The View had not lied about so many things in the past, I might be more prone to believe their Candace story. It looked uncomfortable as I watched it on tv. Whoopi was acting like a fool. I don't even like Candace that much-I always hate it when someone makes me feel sorry for someone who I don't even like.  

Also, they keep bringing it up and seem really determined to convince us that Candace is sick. Methinks they protesteth too much.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 12

"Hotdog down a hallway"

That is all.

If The View had not lied about so many things in the past, I might be more prone to believe their Candace story. It looked uncomfortable as I watched it on tv. Whoopi was acting like a fool. I don't even like Candace that much-I always hate it when someone makes me feel sorry for someone who I don't even like.  

Also, they keep bringing it up and seem really determined to convince us that Candace is sick. Methinks they protesteth too much.

THIS^^^^^ ! I would have maybe bought it if they had simply said that CCB wasn't feeling well and ENDED IT. But Whoops... Miss Whoops keeps bringing it up, several times, OVER AND OVER; and then she adds, saying she wishes that CCB were there to weigh in. It all sounds like BS and ... yeah... protest too much thing.

Holy crap. Palin needs to go away and shut her face.

• Love 7