Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 1/18/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday 1/18: Jennifer Hudson (Broadway’s “The Color Purple”); civil rights activist Ruby Bridges; performance from gospel star Kirk Franklin and the choir from The Special Music School.

Tuesday 1/19: Hank Williams Jr. performs from his new album, “It’s About Time.”

Wednesday 1/20: Day of Hot Topics.

Thursday 1/21: Rev Run and Tyrese Gibson (“It’s Not You, It’s Men”).

Friday 1/22: Day of Hot Topics.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

While it's nice to hear Whoopi's words about race in the US today, I couldn't clap for her like the audience did because I remember she said the exact opposite last season. Sure, a person can learn and grow, but I think Whoopi is just trying to repair her image.

Jennifer Hudson looked phenomenal.

• Love 1

Show hasn't aired on the west coast yet, but maybe today was pretaped because of MLK holiday? In that case it could have been taped last week on one of Michelle's off days? I don't think they would put her on the mug if she was on her way out :) 

Also FYI Michelle will be on Andy Cohen's show Watch What Happens Live tonight on Bravo

Edited by fl2dc
  • Love 2

I was greatly impressed by the interview with Ruby Bridges, not only because I have always been moved by the Norman Rockwell painting of her in school, but also by how kind and introspective she seems as an adult. It was amazing to me that she didn't know the power and far-reaching impact of that painting until her late teens.

It was a breath of fresh air that the panel allowed her to speak in full sentences, asked her questions one at a time, and didn't have cross-talk. It was so much better than the usual verbal mob scene. WHY can't they do this for every guest?

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 9

Hudson looked great except for her hair.  It looked like a bowl on top of her head that kept lowering itself over her eyebrows.  Her dress was gorgeous and she sure does have a rocking body and of course voice.  I did notice when she came on stage Whoopi got out of her seat and turned as if she was going to get a big hug but JH just did the hand wave to everyone and took a seat.  I think Whoopi and Raven were looking for some special hugs.

Ruby Bridges was a gracious guest and it was nice they showed her so much respect by allowing her to speak.   I noticed during HT CCB did not speak, she just looked wide-eyed listening to the conversation about MLK Day almost like she had never heard it before or something.  I don't think she spoke at all until it was her turn to ask Ruby a question. 

• Love 2

...  I noticed during HT CCB did not speak, she just looked wide-eyed listening to the conversation about MLK Day almost like she had never heard it before or something. ...

It's quite possible that she's not very familiar with the day or its history.  Martin Luther King lived & died before she was born, & she seems like one of those people who's ignorant of everything that's not directly within her own experience -- you know, the poor folks without access to library cards.

• Love 6

Thank you, Chicago cita! Beautiful explanation of history. You know it!

Also, CCB and Raven were "educated" on sets between filming. They both are truly lacking in cultural knowledge. Which begs the question, who thought they wd be good on a talk show which purports to be more than entertainment "news"? Morons. Whoppi too.

• Love 12

Candace does this weird thing that annoys me, where she leans her arms away from the table like she's angry, but doesn't want to argue. She's been doing it a lot, but I didn't understand why she'd be angry today. Maybe it's just comfortable sitting that way...?

I noticed Joy giving Whoopi the side-eye .... anyone else?

It's always hard for me to remember that Jennifer Hudson used to be heavy, because as Foghorn Leghorn said, she really does have a rocking body now. As someone whose weight has traveled up and down 100 lbs over the course of my life, I have so much admiration for the fact that she continues to look amazing.

I am actually happy CCB kept quiet if she didn't have much to add to the conversation. How I wish that were the norm at The View!

Something that rankled today (AGAIN) was Whoopi playing the part of the all-knowing, all-powerful sage. "KNOW YOUR HISTORY," she intoned. Which is ridiculous coming from her, who rewrites history -- including her own -- all the time.

And perhaps the all-knowing, all-powerful sage who demands people KNOW YOUR HISTORY should have known that black Americans did not get the vote for the first time in 1965 with the passage of the Voting Rights Act. There was this little thing called the 15th Amendment that gave black men the right to vote in 1870. Black women got the right to vote in 1920, along with their sisters of all races and colors. Now, the Voting Rights Act did go into effect in 1965, as Whoopi said, but its purpose was to remove legal impediments that Southern states and municipalities had set up to keep people from exercising their right to vote after the passage of the 15th Amendment.

I'm just a little ol' know-nothing, but I'd humbly like to point out to The Great (Grating?) Whoopi that African-American politicians such as Adam Clayton Powell Jr, Charles Diggs Jr, and BaWa's special friend Edward Brooke were all elected to office prior to 1965. To think they got there without the support of black voters and while being unable to vote themselves is ... well ... ridiculous. Maybe I just don't KNOW MY HISTORY.

I went on Facebook to see if any of The Whoopster's "fans" (or anyone else) noticed her history error.  Nada!!!

• Love 5

Something that rankled today (AGAIN) was Whoopi playing the part of the all-knowing, all-powerful sage. "KNOW YOUR HISTORY," she intoned. Which is ridiculous coming from her, who rewrites history -- including her own -- all the time.

And perhaps the all-knowing, all-powerful sage who demands people KNOW YOUR HISTORY should have known that black Americans did not get the vote for the first time in 1965 with the passage of the Voting Rights Act. There was this little thing called the 15th Amendment that gave black men the right to vote in 1870. Black women got the right to vote in 1920, along with their sisters of all races and colors. Now, the Voting Rights Act did go into effect in 1965, as Whoopi said, but its purpose was to remove legal impediments that Southern states and municipalities had set up to keep people from exercising their right to vote after the passage of the 15th Amendment.

I'm just a little ol' know-nothing, but I'd humbly like to point out to The Great (Grating?) Whoopi that African-American politicians such as Adam Clayton Powell Jr, Charles Diggs Jr, and BaWa's special friend Edward Brooke were all elected to office prior to 1965. To think they got there without the support of black voters and while being unable to vote themselves is ... well ... ridiculous. Maybe I just don't KNOW MY HISTORY.

THANK YOU!!!!  I was just coming on to say the same thing.  I can't believe she went on and on lecturing everyone about American history, specifically the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and got most of it wrong.  I don't know if everyone else at the table decided it wasn't worth it to challenge her or not but that was ridiculous.  

I noticed Joy giving Whoopi the side-eye .... anyone else?

I went on Facebook to see if any of The Whoopster's "fans" (or anyone else) noticed her history error.  Nada!!!

Maybe they just tune her out or hit mute?   I'm guessing Joy was giving Whoopi the side eye over her yelling at everyone to study history while she herself clearly has not. 

It's quite possible that she's [CCB]  not very familiar with the day or its history.  Martin Luther King lived & died before she was born, & she seems like one of those people who's ignorant of everything that's not directly within her own experience -- you know, the poor folks without access to library cards.

OR is even more uneducated than Whoopi.   Well, at least she is smart enough to keep her mouth shut on TV when she doesn't know anything about something but if she was listening today, I'm afraid she still doesn't know much. 

• Love 7

In defense of Whoopi (ducks under desk), Whoopi has been badgering politicians (I remember John McCain particularly) since before Shelby County v. Holder, because parts of the Voting RIghts Act of 1965 had to be reviewed and re-voted on periodically by Congress.  And still after Shelby, there are parts that are waiting for Congressional attention (never gonna happen in this Congress), which is why we now see all these voter suppression laws being enacted in states that used to have to abide by pre-clearance rules.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 5

Doesn't Whoopi have her own production company?  "One Ho" or something? She could contribute more to making diverse movies instead of just calling out others to do so.

Wait!  didn't Whoop not long ago complain when people said there was a lack of opportunity in Hollywood, that they were wrong?   I swear, it was discussed on this forum as well, that Whoop was arguing that there were plenty of opportunities if you looked for them, because SHE never had trouble getting roles!  

Though I do agree that actors boycotting the Oscars is wrong.   Some people are being nominated for the first time in their careers, this could be the high point of their career, boycotting it takes away from their accomplishments. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 13

Whoopie, when you have to explain that Candace left because she is sick and didn't leave because of the first segment, maybe you need to calm the hell down, let others speak and not act like an out of control asshole. Does Sunni really need Whoopie to tell her what it's like to be black and, now, she's yelling about Sunni teaching her kids to show adults respect. My first complaint to ABC about Whoopie will happen today.

• Love 11

Now, I don’t like Sunni, BUT… I almost hope she’s there every day until Whoopi leaves just to make her last few months as torturous as possible. lol I give her props for not backing down to Whoopi on the movies topic. And Whoopi tried to make the boycott out to be a snub to Chris Rock… Please.

At first I laughed when Whoopi said to Candace, “We have to talk about God all the time,” but then the orange juice thing sounded really mean. After Candace disappeared, Whoopi had to make sure nobody thought Candace left the table because of her. Oh, no, not because Whoopi was being a screaming banshee, definitely not. LOL This morning’s show was just gold. And Joy was sitting in the middle eating it all up.

I wonder if Joy has a hand in Michelle not being there, going by her comments about how she (Joy) started out only two days a week and then losing focus while Michelle was talking about The Bachelor. I did feel sorry for Michelle a bit there since Joy looking at her watch must’ve made her insecure, but I don’t think Joy was intentionally being mean. (Although I wouldn’t put it past her. lol)

• Love 7

Great idea to have Sunni there to give Whoopi shit, i.e., not back down, nor agree, nor go mute when the great and powerful Whoops out -shouts the others. Don't make her last months (let's hope) easy.

• Love 7

Whoopie said Candace hadn't been feeling well for awhile and she noticed all the color had drained from her face so she asked Candace if she needed some juice. She left "to get some rest". Of course, the color may have drained from her face because Whoopie had gone totally ballistic but that's just my opinion and Whoopie assured us that she didn't cause Candace to leave.

• Love 5

I wonder where Paula's been? Ever since that day Whoopi made things personal with her over the number of children she has, she's been absent. I know she's always out one day a week, but she was out twice last week and now twice again this week (of course, Monday was recorded). I really hope she doesn't let Whoopi run her off.

How in the world does Whoopi not get in serious trouble for this nonsense? I know it's a TV show for us, but it's a workplace for them.

• Love 8

I wonder where Paula's been? Ever since that day Whoopi made things personal with her over the number of children she has, she's been absent. I know she's always out one day a week, but she was out twice last week and now twice again this week (of course, Monday was recorded). I really hope she doesn't let Whoopi run her off.

Someone posted Paula was in FLA for her father's birthday and also she is off one day a week because she does GMA weekends.

Raven got the time out chair today.

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 3

Whoopi clearly doesn't get that innate racial bias and subtle forms of racism exist. She thinks everything has to cut and dry or overt. She needs to open her eyes and mind and get over herself. She still thinks she is the authority on all things race and hollywood. She is insufferable and unprofessional.

She thinks that a mostly white panel isn't sitting there thinking about shafted a black film or black actors in a film. Yet, they go out of there way to ignore even the few poc they could have nominated. It isn't always about overt racism, Whoopi. Get a clue.

All Sunni was saying was that they are several things at play and there are more than one issue that needs to be tackled in terms of diversity in film and the accolades that go along with them. Whoopi was like a rapid dog with a bone trying to hammer down her point.

Not to mention how she near berated Viola Davis for daring to say that opportunities are sparse for people of color and women of color especially. Which one is it Whoopi? Either there are opportunities or there are not. The people in charge of the production and casting of films do need to be more diverse and look at other talent that isn't all white but that isn't the only thing that needs to change. The Academy also needs to be called out too. 

How does she keep getting away with being rude and unprofessional?

Edited by May Jacks
  • Love 17

Aunt Viv coming out of the woodwork to berate the Fresh Prince and Jada for their no-nom tantrum is absolutely the highlight of the Oscar boycott story:

http://uproxx.com/movies/aunt-vivian-will-smith-oscar-boycott/2/

“First of all, Miss Thing, does your man not have a mouth of his own with which to speak? Second thing is, girlfriend, there’s a lot of sh*t going on in the world that you all don’t seem to recognize. People are dying, our boys are being shot left and right, people are hungry, people are trying to pay bills, and you’re talking about some … actors and Oscars. It just ain’t that deep.”

Re Smith's Concussion performance:

“Maybe you didn’t deserve a nomination. I frankly didn’t think you deserved a Golden Globe nomination with that accent, but you got one. Just because the world doesn’t go the way you wanted it to go doesn’t mean you can go out and then start asking people to start singing ‘We Shall Overcome’ for you. You ain’t Barack and Michelle Obama, and you need to get over yourselves.”

I don't know how right or wrong she is, but I always appreciate anyone willing to take on the Pinkett-Smith machine. :)

Edited by Milk-Eyed Mender
  • Love 17

I just don't understand giving a fuck about an award show for millionaires when black men are being shot down in the street. I think the Smith family is crazy and out touch with just about everything, and so is Whoopi. She obviously is not getting along at all with the new producers, I loved when she mentioned how infrequently Michelle is even around. Basically they haven't fired Michelle yet because they want to earn the annual $50 they make on those damn mugs.

I really hope Any Cohen asks Michelle why she even bothers showing up.

• Love 6

Whoopi's rampages were over the top today. I'm glad that Sunni tried to stand her ground against the big bully.

My question about the Oscars is next year, if a black, hispanic, or asian actor or actress is nominated, will they feel that they are now being nominated because of their race? Wasn't Twelve Years a Slave the big winner a couple of years ago with several black actors as nominees and it also won best movie? What about Selma, last year? It was given lots of nominations. When a black, hispanic, or asian actor wins an award, it pains me for them to point out their race. They should be proud of their outstanding acting performance instead. Jada Pinkett Smith is ticked off that her husband wasn't nominated, and perhaps he gave a great performance, but he doesn't seem to lack for acting jobs and is paid very well for them. 

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 8
Wasn't Twelve Years a Slave the big winner a couple of years ago with several black actors as nominees and it also won best movie?

Not several black actors, just two.

What about Selma, last year? It was given lots of nominations.

Just Best Song and Best Picture noms.  No acting nominations, nor was the director nominated.

When a black, hispanic, or asian actor wins an award, it pains me for them to point out that their race.

Zero fucks here.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 6

Jada Pinkett Smith?  Has she become some big-time star?

No, but she is married to Will Smith who should have been nominated for his role in Concussion.   He was really good in it and I can't imagine why he wasn't nominated.

• Love 2