Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E10: Catfishing Teacher

• Start Topic

Well, at least Baby Rollins is okay! And very cute! The part with him and Carisi was the highlight.

Everything else...well, there are two things I'm sick of on this show: fighting parents and perps that get off because unwilling witnesses make a monkey out of the legal system...and a vigilante ending. Okay, make that three things I'm sick of on this show.

And another Benson in danger episode next week. So make that FOUR things.

• Love 9

When Carisi was holding the baby, Amanda looked like she was falling in love him...lol ! I mean, who wouldn't?

This episode was meh to me. Nothing really stood out too much.

Next weeks episode... bleh! How many "Olivia in distress" episodes do we need?

• Love 6

When Carisi was holding the baby, Amanda looked like she was falling in love him...lol ! I mean, who wouldn't?

I was thinking the same thing.  They had a similar chemistry in the previous episode.  If she hadn't already been with Nick, I would have been a fan of the two of them getting together.  

• Love 1

Boring episode. And next week looks like another recycled plot. 

She definitely did and I don't blame her. He gets cuter every episode. And I'm not usually a fan of romances between the detectives on this show, I hated Nick and Amanda, but I don't think I'd mind Carisi and Rollins. 

For anyone who missed it, there was a deleted scene from this episode of Amanda and baby leaving the hospital with Olivia, Fin and Carisi by her side. 

• Love 2

Glad the baby is okay! But I only want to see it again if Carisi is there too.

The only notable thing about this case was that they dragged my home, Floral Park into it, and used a street that doesn't exist.

Hopefully Barba will be around next week; if we're going to have to sit through move Benson In Danger it's the least we deserve.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 4

Well, at least Baby Rollins is okay! And very cute! The part with him and Carisi was the highlight.

Everything else...well, there are two things I'm sick of on this show: fighting parents and perps that get off because unwilling witnesses make a monkey out of the legal system...and a vigilante ending. Okay, make that three things I'm sick of on this show.

And another Benson in danger episode next week. So make that FOUR things.

Agreed, but also, ADA Robert Sean Leonard should get an Emmy for his delivery of the last line: "His life was already over at fifteen."
  • Love 3

I felt some time of way when they cut from that glowing look Rollins was giving Carisi to the sounds of boning. I know physically Rollins wouldn't be up to it but I was like, are they trying to imply she jumped his bones? It was an odd cut.

I felt some time of way when they cut from that glowing look Rollins was giving Carisi to the sounds of boning. I know physically Rollins wouldn't be up to it but I was like, are they trying to imply she jumped his bones? It was an odd cut.

Ha ha, I'm glad I wasn't the only one!  

Is the baby 6 weeks old yet?  She'd be physically cleared for that sort of activity :-D

• Love 2

Carisi is seriously the highlight of every episode. Like, it's not even a contest anymore. Carisi is the best part of this show.

I never really saw Rollins and Carisi as a romantic pairing, but I'm seeing it now. I didn't think she'd be into him, because she likes crazy assholes, but who can resist a sweetheart like Carisi, bouncing a baby? Not me. Not Amanda, either, clearly. Get it girl.

Regarding the case of the week, it was sufficiently twisty. I did think Michael Gaston had something to do with it, obviously, because he's Michael Gaston (and he's awesome), but in the last few moments I was like "wait, what if he's innocent and that's the final twist? That he was helping those boys?" That didn't happen. I did love the actual twist, though. When the guy said he had a confession, that was not what I expected. Nice, tragic yet not-so-tragic ending. I liked it. And I continue to hate it when rapists are played in a remotely sympathetic way, but the female teacher, she was hilarious.

Dodds is starting to grate. Strangely, I like him better when he's being a dick because at least those scenes mean something. When he's doing police work, it's boring. Like, when he and Carisi went to the principal's house and Dodds was totally robotic, "we're looking for this person", while Carisi (or Peter Scanavino, probably) found the time to eye the working girl hilariously and milk a 4-second scene? That's what I'm talking about.

I love Barba/Raul and I hesitate to say this but I like Robert Sean Leonard better? He's an amazing actor (Raul is too but RSL is on another level for me, always has been) but my favorite part about O'Dwyer is that he never seems to take things personally. He has his views, and he's had his hardcore moments (even in this episode, when he said he'd charge the guy) but he always keeps things casual and jovial. I like seeing that. Like, I'm not saying we should lose Barba, but if we did, you know? Or, at the very least, I'm glad RSL is here as a recurring ADA for all the episodes Barba still isn't in.

I think the writers are working up to something with Dodds and Fin. That whole 'he's a kicker' thing, and Fin's overtime comments, it wasn't an accident. Dodds dissed Carisi and Rollins as an intro, but the Fin comments, those were the main story, I think. Dodds has a job Fin could have had but rejected. Might Fin still become a Sargeant? I'd be here for that, i.e. for a Fin storyline (and for Dodds gone, no offense).

Lastly, how cute are Carisi's dimples?

Answer: VERY cute.

• Love 7

The Good:

Rollins and Carisi and her baby. Resolved the "cliffhanger" right away, didn't try to set up new personal drama, and was very cute.

Robert Sean Leonard's performance.

Ice T's facial expressions.

The Bad:

No Barba. I understand the budget issues and RSL did a great job, but I still missed him and can't believe that it really saved that much money.

The Dodds scene. It was clunky and unbelievable. And for the millionth time - why not bring him in as Lt./Captain? This is just one of the many many scenes that would work better if he was the CO. The boss might be a bit of an insensitive jackass about working mothers to Benson, but an ambitious underling? Really writers?

The script was competent, but dull and used way too many overdone SVU tropes. A couple of seasons ago I would have been quite happy to see an episode like this, but the downside of getting your mojo back is that adequate isn't enough anymore. You've proven you can do better.

The trailer. Let's hope the promo monkeys are faking us out again.

Overall this was almost completely forgettable. Except for Robert Sean Leonard and Carisi holding the baby I don't think there was anything memorable at all, good or bad.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 2
The Dodds scene. It was clunky and unbelievable. And for the millionth time - why not bring him in as Lt./Captain? This is just one of the many many scenes that would work better if he was the CO. The boss might be a bit of an insensitive jackass about working mothers to Benson, but an ambitious underling? Really writers?

I was just thinking that. Dodds Jr. is not a "squad member" type of character, that's why the scenes of him being just that, "one of the guys", fall flat. He's done nothing to create any type of connection with the other characters. He's like Dodds Sr., or like Adam Baldwin's character etc etc. They're using him to fill the gap left by Amaro (which I don't think was that huge a gap, because Carisi was already there) and now the gap left by Rollins (understandable due to KG having a baby) and it doesn't work.

Like I said, his "CO-type" scenes, those work for me. Maybe that's why. The writers needed one more body in the squad room, and they figured they'd combine that with the "assy superior" trope, because they love tormenting Benson with those. Eh. You're totally right, an ambitious guy would never say half the shit he says to Benson. Maybe I can buy that because he's Dodds' son and he's untouchable, but can he be this stupid? To question a woman's ability to be a mother and a cop, in front of his female superior who also happens to be a mother?

Seriously, drop that whole thing, make Fin the new Sarge and just have Carisi working all the detective scenes, with Benson, and with Rollins and with Fin. Just have Carisi be everybody's partner. Problem solved. The show would improve 100%. Scanavino can rest in the summer.

• Love 3

I was just thinking that. Dodds Jr. is not a "squad member" type of character, that's why the scenes of him being just that, "one of the guys", fall flat. He's done nothing to create any type of connection with the other characters. He's like Dodds Sr., or like Adam Baldwin's character etc etc. They're using him to fill the gap left by Amaro (which I don't think was that huge a gap, because Carisi was already there) and now the gap left by Rollins (understandable due to KG having a baby) and it doesn't work.

Like I said, his "CO-type" scenes, those work for me. Maybe that's why. The writers needed one more body in the squad room, and they figured they'd combine that with the "assy superior" trope, because they love tormenting Benson with those. Eh. You're totally right, an ambitious guy would never say half the shit he says to Benson. Maybe I can buy that because he's Dodds' son and he's untouchable, but can he be this stupid? To question a woman's ability to be a mother and a cop, in front of his female superior who also happens to be a mother?

Seriously, drop that whole thing, make Fin the new Sarge and just have Carisi working all the detective scenes, with Benson, and with Rollins and with Fin. Just have Carisi be everybody's partner. Problem solved. The show would improve 100%. Scanavino can rest in the summer.

The thing is that Benson as protagonist and CO is a mistake. It just doesn't work for any number of reasons. If you don't want to change the formula at all ( for the millionth time go back and watch Jack McCoy as DA to see how it's done if you want your lead to stay more involved when taking over the senior role, but not ruin your story structure and realism) than don't. Keep Benson as Sgt. bring in a new CO and tell Mariska that she can't have everything she wants.

• Love 5

tell Mariska that she can't have everything she wants

Yeah, this is kernel of it, isn't it. But I would be fine with Benson playing every kind of role on the squad if we can cut the miffy responses to characters who are insufficiently impressed by/deferential to her working AND having a toddler. You apparently have time to iron your hair, lady; let's save the martyr Olympics try-out for another time. Like the 12th of never.

• Love 6

I was pretty sure the English teacher didn't send the sext, but I thought maybe one of the boys she "tutored" did, and set him up for whatever happened.  So having the wrestling coach as the perp is a bit cliche, but kind of a twist for me.  Also didn't expect the "confession" to be as violently coerced, and the coach's victim become a killer.

• Love 1
Agreed, but also, ADA Robert Sean Leonard should get an Emmy for his delivery of the last line: "His life was already over at fifteen."

I knew the line was coming, and yet, it made me so, so , so, so angry!  Was it supposed to?

"Meh, his life is over cuz he's going to jail, but fuck him!  He was raped as a kid anyway."    Seriously?  People's lives become disposable once they're raped?  We just cease to care what happens to them after that point? They're society's trash?

I wish the episode continued on with the female teacher being the perp instead.  That was so scandalous, and it seemed like they at least haven't done that plot in awhile.  Pedophilic coach?  What?  It feels like they do that at least twice a season, am I imagining that?  As soon as it started with that I tuned out.

Dodds' hair dye is so glaring.  That's not a real human hair colour is it?

Why can't we have an episode (meaning 5 episodes) centered around Carisi?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Things I enjoyed (some for all of the wrong reasons):
- When the team breaks in on the teacher having sex with her husband, she rolls off of him and he has a sheet wrapped completely around him. He never moved his free hand. So they were having extra kinky sheet sex. Ooooooh!
- The look on Rollins face when Carisi was holding the baby. She looked like a starving dog that just saw an extra meaty bone.
- RSL's look when Benson says to the teacher that she was tutoring the students "in the supply closet".
- The deflated Santa on the lawn, looking like it was auto-fellating.

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 2

I knew the line was coming, and yet, it made me so, so , so, so angry! Was it supposed to?

"Meh, his life is over cuz he's going to jail, but fuck him! He was raped as a kid anyway." Seriously? People's lives become disposable once they're raped? We just cease to care what happens to them after that point? They're society's trash?

I wish the episode continued on with the female teacher being the perp instead. That was so scandalous, and it seemed like they at least haven't done that plot in awhile. Pedophilic coach? What? It feels like they do that at least twice a season, am I imagining that? As soon as it started with that I tuned out.

Dodds' hair dye is so glaring. That's not a real human hair colour is it?

In regards to the last line, I don't think he was saying what you were implying at all. The victim said it himself in that he got his first good nights sleep since he was teen after he got his vengeance. His whole life has been off course since the rape. He stopped trying to live life. That's what RSL meant. For this guy, he was never able to get his life back together after this happened to him. This wasn't a comment about rape or rape victims. This was a comment about this individual. They said how the lives of all the victims they found were post rape. Some couldn't bounce back and some did. They married, had a family, etc. They kept living. Some could never escape what happened to them.
  • Love 4

What's wrong with that asst. D.a.?  It wasn't premeditated murder.  The older victim went to the defendant's house to get a confession, not to kill him.  If he meant to kill him, he wouldn't have taped it and carried it to the police.  He thought he scared him, but not killed him.  I liked this guy on House.  

I can't watch next week. Please. Even I wouldn't enter into a door under those circumstances.  

• Love 2
For this guy, he was never able to get his life back together after this happened to him. This wasn't a comment about rape or rape victims

So if that's the case, then I would be sympathetic towards him, not charging him with a trumped up charge and saying "His life is over (anyway)".  Almost as a defense for what he was doing.

• Love 1

I wish the episode continued on with the female teacher being the perp instead.  That was so scandalous, and it seemed like they at least haven't done that plot in awhile.  Pedophilic coach?  What?  It feels like they do that at least twice a season, am I imagining that?  As soon as it started with that I tuned out.

Seriously, Benson was all "it's rape" but then the episode was all "there's rape which involves a hot female teacher and a few male teens, but there's also rape-rape, which involves an old man and a boy, which is totally worse". Like, they didn't even care about the female teacher. I get the missing teen was a priority, but that woman was just as much of a rapist as the coach (as in, they were both rapists, because there's no "more" or "less", there's just rape).

The closing line by RSL confused me too. I totally agree that he meant that the guy's life had ended when he had gotten raped, but then why charge? That said, he didn't chastise Benson for telling the victim to get a lawyer, if anything he seemed to be okay with that.

Going by RSL's appearance in the Transgender Bridge episode, I guess I can fanwank it as a "the law is the law" moment. And I can imagine that he said that bit about the victim's life being ruined when Benson used the argument "you can't ruin his life", to suggest that it was too late for that.

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 2

So what I gathered was that not only was the teacher making the boys have sex with her in exchange for the good grades they needed, but when one of them was having trouble performing (and, therefore, having trouble satisfying her) she sent him to his coach for manly advice. His pedophile coach. Even if she didn't know the coach was a pedophile, this goes a good way beyond the more usual trope of an adult woman technically raping an underage boy who was genuinely willing. It's unusually selfish and evil for a female perp of this kind, and I too wish they'd stayed with her case longer and explored her soul more. And had something worse happen to her.

So yes, they went back to a much more commonplace plot when they switched to the male coach. Surely, with a good lawyer, the former victim who killed him won't get 25 years, and his life needn't be over if he finds help and purpose and gets out around age 40.

I was glad to see Robert Sean Leonard alive and well, even as another character, since I last saw him on "House" going off, infuriatingly and undeservedly, to die of cancer.

ETA: Sorry-- I watched it again and the teacher did not send the boy to his coach when he was underperforming, she told the detectives he went to ask for the coach's manly advice and then told her he had. She alleges that she reassured him that he was okay. Still evil and I still wish they'd explored her and punished her better, but not AS evil as I thought.

Edited by Corvino
  • Love 3

Wait, you guys - what was the thing between Dodds and Coach B in the interrogation room? Was it just like, "hey, white guy to white guy, shit happens, amiright?" or was it like "I'm a pedophile Svengali and I know you were abused as a kid so I'm trying to put some crazy mind control on you right now"? Like, I got a weird vibe, especially from the look Dodds gave back, that it was the latter (with of course a touch of the former). Am I the only one?

• Love 7

Hahahaha.  Hahahah.  Yeah; was the coach saying, "You're a strapping, questionably attractive man.  You used to be a young athletic boy, like the kind I would coach"?

What I didn't get was why didn't Dodds go along and play Good Cop.  The camera lingered on his face for so long while the audience was waiting with bated breath, like yes, Go with it Dodds!  He'll confess everything!  Instead Dodds stares back for awhile and then says... "Ew, no."  It's acting Dodds.  It's manipulating a perp.  Get a grip.

• Love 5

This episode was meh to me. Nothing really stood out too much.

Next weeks episode... bleh! How many "Olivia in distress" episodes do we need?

Damnit! I missed the first five minutes, so I guess that's when they showed the baby?!?!

Wait, you guys - what was the thing between Dodds and Coach B in the interrogation room? Was it just like, "hey, white guy to white guy, shit happens, amiright?" or was it like "I'm a pedophile Svengali and I know you were abused as a kid so I'm trying to put some crazy mind control on you right now"? Like, I got a weird vibe, especially from the look Dodds gave back, that it was the latter (with of course a touch of the former). Am I the only one?

I got the same vibe. I don't know what that was about, but maybe they'll reveal more in another episode.

• Love 2

Damnit! I missed the first five minutes, so I guess that's when they showed the baby?!?!

You literally missed the only 5 minutes worth watching from this entire episode.

Re; Dodds, I totally thought they were going there. And then I remembered that, in the other Dodds-heavy ep, with the missing teenage girl (or something, I don't remember much because it was boring), a lot of us thought he maybe had a missing sister or something like that, that's why he was taking it personally and getting all those lingering close-ups.

So that's 0 for 2. What's up with that guy? Do they just do close-ups of him for no reason? Do they tell Andy Karl "look haunted and mysterious, for absolutely no reason"? Will they eventually give him something to do other than a) being a dick and b) talking about shit his dad says?

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 6

So if that's the case, then I would be sympathetic towards him, not charging him with a trumped up charge and saying "His life is over (anyway)". Almost as a defense for what he was doing.

I don't think it's a matter of being sympathetic or not. It's just the law. I mean, l could see Barba saying the same thing about Benson coaching the victim about a lawyer with a smirk. Not making a issue out of it, just pointing it out. I also could see Barba saying my hands are tied because of the premeditated attack. No, I don't think he went there to kill the guy but he obviously didn't care that this was the result either. I could see the guy getting a much less harsh verdict at the end of the day though. Just needs a good lawyer.
No, I don't think he went there to kill the guy but he obviously didn't care that this was the result either

That literally means that it was not premeditated.

It makes a big difference.  I'm not American, but the difference between premeditated murder (1st degree) and "murder in the heat of the moment" (2nd degree) is major, like the difference between serving a life sentence versus 10 years or something.  So it's a huge decision that needs to be weighted as such.  Not the almost flippant (IMO) way he was treating it.

He didn't go over to the guy's house intending to torture him.  And he didn't - CERTAINLY didn't, IMO - intend to kill him.  He didn't even know whether he had died.  And didn't the coach die from his injuries after the fact?  It's 2nd degree or less, IMO.

The actor who played the young man in question by the way, I recognized him from a very interesting Rian Johnson/Joseph Gordon Levitt 2005 movie named "Brick".   His name is Noah Fleiss.  He's also been on SVU before!

- Catfishing Teacher (2016) ... Nat Dennehy

- Brotherhood (2004) ... Nathan Angeli

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

You know what would be great? A scene with Robert Sean Leonard and Raul Esparza arguing about the law. (Pardon me for a second while I fan myself) As for the actual episode, I have nothing to add but to agree that it went downhill after the Carisi/Rollins baby scene. As for next week, I can't even with Olivia and her hostage-ness.

• Love 6

Well that was... awful. Especially grating are the Dodds actor and Robert Sean Leonard not being able to deliver their lines without smirking (do they think that's sexy or something?). What was with the Finn hate all of the sudden?

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 3
For anyone who missed it, there was a deleted scene from this episode of Amanda and baby leaving the hospital with Olivia, Fin and Carisi by her side.

And according to the blurb that is indeed Kelly Giddish's real life widdle boo!

I knew the line was coming, and yet, it made me so, so , so, so angry! Was it supposed to?

"Meh, his life is over cuz he's going to jail, but fuck him! He was raped as a kid anyway." Seriously? People's lives become disposable once they're raped? We just cease to care what happens to them after that point? They're society's trash?

I wish the episode continued on with the female teacher being the perp instead. That was so scandalous, and it seemed like they at least haven't done that plot in awhile. Pedophilic coach? What? It feels like they do that at least twice a season, am I imagining that? As soon as it started with that I tuned out.

Dodds' hair dye is so glaring. That's not a real human hair colour is it?

I hate that this show often has this weird "a fate worse than death" attitude about rape. Yes it is a terrible crime, but some people do manage to have happy lives after being raped. It does happen that people do manage to deal with the trauma and have normal, healthy sex and productive, happy lives. It's so creepy when SVU goes to this RUINED FOREVER place about being the victim of sexual assault/abuse.

• Love 4

This was a fairly standard SVU episode, but why did they ignore the female teacher after she told them about Coach Pedophile? I agree that it would have been a more interesting angle to go with as the pedo male coach is done so much more often. And goddammit, the stupid "I don't want my child to testify" again, I am sick and tired of it. Especially as it was done last episode.

No Barba, which is always a negative, but I enjoy RSL almost as I enjoy Esparza. But even he was underused and I felt like they could have done more with his character. I didn't expect the ending, when the victim came in and was like "I have a confession" I thought that he had just spoken to him wearing a wire or something. When they came across the coach, I thought they had pulled the whole Charles Logan from 24 where they attempt suicide but survive, but they're brain damaged.

The thing is that Benson as protagonist and CO is a mistake. It just doesn't work for any number of reasons. If you don't want to change the formula at all ( for the millionth time go back and watch Jack McCoy as DA to see how it's done if you want your lead to stay more involved when taking over the senior role, but not ruin your story structure and realism) than don't. Keep Benson as Sgt. bring in a new CO and tell Mariska that she can't have everything she wants.

I hoped they were going to go to Sam Waterston route, but they didn't. Then again, I don't know why I expected with Warren Leight's obsession with Benson.

I wish they would decide what to do with Dodds' character. I agree, he seems like a caricature of every L&O stereotype of douchebag superiors.

• Love 3

Did Dodds really suggest they discuss giving someone a negative performance review for taking a legally protected maternity leave? And why was Saint Benson of the Insufferable's response not "we're not going to discuss this until it is a bridge we actually need to cross.?

• Love 2

And according to the blurb that is indeed Kelly Giddish's real life widdle boo!

Yeah Baby Ludo is adorable. Cute that he made a cameo. I still think it was crazy and kind of tactless of the writers to write an unnecessary baby in distress storyline for Rollins when Kelli was actually pregnant. Placental abruption is a really scary and sudden condition that can kill both the mom and the baby. My sister-in-law suffered a placental abruption a few years ago and my nephew was stillborn as a result. If I was Kelli, I don't think I'd be willing to go there. 

• Love 2

So I finally got to see this and think it was a pretty solid B+. I agree that the whole "teacher blackmailing her underage students into sex" thing was pretty quickly dropped and for the wrong reasons. In its own way that's every bit as heinous as what the coach was doing, and with her four schools in five years teaching history it's pretty obvious she's been doing this for a while. She is every bit the predator the coach is, but because she's young and pretty we have to sit through the insanely tiresome "what's the big deal, these guys were lucky" crap. 

The show tried, with the second kid not being into it and of course the SVU squad rightly never described the encounters as anything but rape, and yes, changes in this attitude and the horrendous amount of damage done to the victims are infuriatingly slow, but good God, I really need more grown adults living in the world on this show to wake up and smell the felony. 

The guy who beat and tortured the confession out of his tormentor was chilling. Absolutely chilling. You could tell a piece of him died eight years ago, and has been haunting him ruthlessly, a vengeful ghost, ever since. When he said he got his first good night's sleep in eight years? UGH. I just wish we as a society/viewing audience weren't seen as having to go down the "it was a MALE coach violating MALE players so it's extra understandable" road.

Good acting moments: Rollins and Carisi playing Happy Families ( I still don't get why Rollins isn't more down with her baby daddy; he left in the middle of a major international operation and quite probably torched his career to do his paternal duty, although I suppose he could easily be an involved parent offscreen) with Carisi just pheremoning the hell outta Rollins while bouncing the wee kidlet and making ovaries explode across the land. These two really do have a nice chemistry together.

When the squad locates Zach in the cabin and Benson's telling him he's going to be okay--the way she covered him up, so maternally and carefully. It was genuinely caring and a really nice little moment. If the show would quit trying to make the entire world try to kidnap Benson and steal her son away she could do more subtle little beats like that, which advance her character organically and unobtrusively. 

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 4