Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E10: Catfishing Teacher

• Start Topic

I was curious, they caught the coach in another state with a kid in his bed that was unconscious from being drugged. Wouldn't there have been enough evidence to put him on trial even without the kid's testimony?

I was wondering the same thing. He took a minor without the parent's permission across state lines. He admitted to giving the kid alcohol and the hospital confirmed that he had roofies in his system. Why didn't they charge him with kidnapping (or have the feds do it) and forget about the rape charges? That was a compromise I could see the parents and their son accepting. The son would only have to testify to the kidnapping and being drugged. The defense sure wouldn't bring up the rape during the son's testimony since that would only give the defendant a motive and guarantee a guilty verdict. The coach would have probably accepted a plea bargain and avoided the trial altogether. I wish the episode had gone in that direction instead of the other victim beating a confession out of the coach. I know they were trying to ramp up the drama but there were better ways to do it than that.

I may skip next weeks show. I actually groaned out loud when I saw it was another "Olivia held hostage" episode. Why couldn't it have been anyone else? I would have been fine with it if it had been anyone but Olivia.

Edited by Desperately Random
  • Love 4

I may skip next weeks show. I actually groaned out loud when I saw it was another "Olivia held hostage" episode. Why couldn't it have been anyone else? I would have been fine with it if it had been anyone but Olivia.

It would be ten times more interesting to see any other character be held hostage. But that would require taking focus away from Olivia. Which, of course, should never happen

• Love 1

It's really kind of disgusting that the people behind this show think that we all have a fetish for Olivia in peril and possibly getting raped. Once a season is once way too many.

There's gotta be someone out there writing a good paper about how messed up this is.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

I hate that this show often has this weird "a fate worse than death" attitude about rape. Yes it is a terrible crime, but some people do manage to have happy lives after being raped. It does happen that people do manage to deal with the trauma and have normal, healthy sex and productive, happy lives. It's so creepy when SVU goes to this RUINED FOREVER place about being the victim of sexual assault/abuse.

Agreed, but I took the life-was-over-at-fifteen line to mean that for this particular person—not for victims in general. But maybe that's because I see the actor who delivered the line through the lens of intelligent, nice guy characters I've seen him play.

I hated the clifffhanger in the previous episode and I hate it even more now as it evidently had no impact on this episode what so ever (the scene that explained it ended up on the cutting room floor, just like every Rollaro scene, so it never really happened right!?)

And I hate that they are trying to pimp Rollins out every chance they get. She does not need to get with another man in blue (or 13 stepping sponsees) & even though Carisi is a catch you. can't. go. there. And I loath WL even more for implying this is a possibility. 

Only good thing about this episode was that they shed some light on male rape & what the victims are feeling & what might get them to not want to report the rape but I wish they would've done two episodes of this so the female perp could've gotten hers as well. 

• Love 1

I have a confession to make.  I HATED Carisi when he first started on this show.  This episode has cemented my love for him!

Everyone did, so I do think you need to feel bad.  There is a tendency in the L&Overse when introducing new characters to play up the conflict with the established cast and exaggerate one or two traits to the detriment of creating a well rounded individual. In the beginning he was simply an overeager goofball who was barely tolerated by our heroes, always asking stupid questions or saying stupid things. Over time they've sanded down the rough edges and now he's one of my favorite parts of the show. It's why I tell everyone who is so gung ho to dump Dodds to give him a chance.

• Love 1