Type keyword(s) to search

With Moffat Taking Off, Who's In Charge?

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

I will admit I don't know the personal history of these producers, but aren't they all American?  I must be missing something in the humor department because this article make no sense to me, nor was it funny if that was the intent.  Sorry.   I didn't get it.

• Love 2

Oh now I want Kurt Sutter or Shonda Rhimes to write Doctor Who...at least a couple of episodes....or even better a calibration between the two of them.

I know I have problems.

Don't judge me.

Edited by Chaos Theory

I can wish for Aaron Sorkin, even though I know it won't happen, probably...

But, please, please, not Julian Fellowes!

Also, watch for Doctor Who: Torchwood, Doctor Who: Class, Doctor Who: U.S., and Doctor Who: Special Weapons Dalek.

This is a funny line, and yet slightly frightening given the events that happened at the end of last season.

I didn't get it.

The article is playing of the familiarity one has with the shows the listees have produced, such as the above quote plays off the many spin offs from the Law & Order original series.  If the list had been done back when NuWhowas beginning, using actual possible show runners, I would not have understood either.  Steven Moff-who?

Edited by elle
  • Love 1

I will admit I don't know the personal history of these producers, but aren't they all American?  I must be missing something in the humor department because this article make no sense to me, nor was it funny if that was the intent.  Sorry.   I didn't get it.

No Americans. Doctor Who is a British show, and needs a British showrunner. But, like SierraMist, if this was meant to be humorous, I didn't get it.

I'm not sure if the individual jokes with each "candidate" work, but them being Americans is a clear joke.  I mean maybe if JJ Abrams had been on the list, it would have been over the top enough to make that clearer. The idea of any of these people doing Doctor Who is supposed to be ridiculous. Them being American is just part of that (even if there were no cultural bias against it... for no other reason that they live and work on the wrong continent). It's mainly humor about the signatures/quirks of each showrunner. The joke isn't really about Doctor Who at all, since you could sub-in "the new Star Trek streaming TV series" and do very similar jokes.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I realized that it was supposed to be a joke because they are all Americans (well, except for Fellowes) but that's what I didn't find funny at all.  Glad it worked for most of you.

• Love 1

They are all not just Americans but famous showrunners who are not even in the most timey wimey kind of way going to be considered as showrunners for Doctor Who. That's the joke. Or half of it anyway, the other half being the conceit of them running Doctor Who the way they ran the shows they're famous for.

You still don't HAVE to laugh, or anything.  But I did.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

Man, talk about a letdown...  I saw the thread title and got all excited that Moffat was really leaving.  Then I come into the thread and what a disappointment. 

Everything I've read points to Mark Gatiss as the next showrunner once Moffat finally departs from his gilded throne. 

• Love 2

Everything I've read points to Mark Gatiss as the next showrunner once Moffat finally departs from his gilded throne. 

You're probably right, but I really think they need to move outside of that little gilded circle of fans from the same generation. The show needs a fresh approach, not someone who is going to be bringing much the same issues to bear.

• Love 1

I always wonder whether Sherlock is more Moffat or Gatiss.  I really liked the Sherlock Christmas Special.  It was almost perfect as a Christmas Special (very clever and funny).  On the other hand I hated the Doctor Who Christmas Special.  Old stuff (and ridiculous to boot, nothing witty or clever about it).  Maybe Moffat should stick with Sherlock and give Mark Gatiss total control over Doctor Who.  It could only be an improvement.  I guess I base that on the fact that I've always preferred the Gatiss interviews to the Moffat interviews.

I always wonder whether Sherlock is more Moffat or Gatiss. I really liked the Sherlock Christmas Special. It was almost perfect as a Christmas Special (very clever and funny). On the other hand I hated the Doctor Who Christmas Special. Old stuff (and ridiculous to boot, nothing witty or clever about it). Maybe Moffat should stick with Sherlock and give Mark Gatiss total control over Doctor Who. It could only be an improvement. I guess I base that on the fact that I've always preferred the Gatiss interviews to the Moffat interviews.

It's not going to be Gatiss, I don't think. They're apparently looking far and wide for the next showrunner and I doubt that would be necessary if Moffat had inclination of handing the reins over to him. I actually hope it's not him. The last couple of eps he's turned in for the show were pretty terrible. 'Sleep No More' was just awful. He's way more suited to dealing with Sherlock.

Personally, I'm hoping they court Dennis Kelly. He doesn't have a ton of experience as a showrunner, but he's British and his show, Utopia, is an absolute gem.

• Love 2

It's not going to be Gatiss, I don't think. They're apparently looking far and wide for the next showrunner and I doubt that would be necessary if Moffat had inclination of handing the reins over to him. I actually hope it's not him. The last couple of eps he's turned in for the show were pretty terrible. 'Sleep No More' was just awful. He's way more suited to dealing with Sherlock.

Personally, I'm hoping they court Dennis Kelly. He doesn't have a ton of experience as a showrunner, but he's British and his show, Utopia, is an absolute gem.

I agree. Sleep No More was terrible.  And I do like him on Sherlock.   I'm not familiar with Dennis Kelly, but I'll trust your judgment on that.  It's just time for Moffat to go.

The twat who wrote Cyberwoman? Fucks sake, the only question I have is does he write with a crayon or his elbows?

I'd rather the role had gone to Gareth Roberts, yes it would be whimsical, but at least he's a writer with geniune talent.

Eh that's just one bad episode.  He also wrote Countrycide, End of Days, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Fragments, and Exit Wounds, which IMO were pretty good episodes of Torchwood. And I really liked Broadchurch. 

• Love 1

Mediocre Who episodes, overall mediocre Torchwood seasons as showrunner (and very uneven as writer), and one-trick pony (or should I say one season-pony) on Broadchurch. Can't say I'm thrilled at this news... in fact, it was the one name I was dreading to hear/read.

• Love 3

Mediocre Who episodes, overall mediocre Torchwood seasons as showrunner (and very uneven as writer), and one-trick pony (or should I say one season-pony) on Broadchurch. Can't say I'm thrilled at this news... in fact, it was the one name I was dreading to hear/read.

I think the only one I dreaded more was Gatiss. I will give Chibnall the benefit of the doubt, but I genuinely think this run of the show will be over by about 2020 now. Of course it'll be rebooted by 2025, but that's not the point.

Woo-hoo!  Moffat's leaving!

I can't say I'm particularly impressed with Chibnall's record (though I did like the Hungry Earth two-parter).  Season 1 of Broadchurch was only good because of the excellent acting.  The writing was unimpressive to say the least although it was a realistic examination of grief.  But I'm looking forward to having a new showrunner and hope that he can deliver.

I would imagine Series 10 is going to be Capaldi's last as The Doctor.

Edited by benteen

I love dark shows, but dark does not have to equal "insulting my intelligence", which Torchwood did on consistent basis until I could not watch anymore (good thing I decided to check out COE, it was okayish, but has little to do with Chibnall IIRC). And Cyberwoman wasn't simply bad like banal, nothing new whatsoever Countrycide, it was rancid crap which I still shudder to think of. To me there is no going back from this, you have to have no standards, taste and common sense to write something of the sorts.

• Love 2

So is Peter Capaldi expected to take a year off and then come back in 2017 for Moffat's last year? Is this usual?

I don't think there's a break in production. They are still filming season 10 this year, as planned - it's the transmission of that season that's been pushed back, from autumn 2016 to spring 2017. Whether or not Capaldi gets/takes a break after that will depend on a) when season 11 goes into production, and b) whether or not he is sticking around for Chibnall's first year.

• Love 1

The best I can say about Chibnalls two years on Torchwood was that season 2 became stupidly dumb fun, at times. Not a glowing recommendation.

I actually thought his season 2 episodes were his best work in the DW franchise. "Adrift" was probably one of the better Gwen episodes, and "Fragments" had a lot of moments that resonated with me. 

Unfortunately for the most part his work on both shows (and from what I've heard, at Broadchurch) was crude, cheap, and grindingly mediocre. Whereas Moffat was too invested in trying to show off his intelligence, Chibnall only ever musters up a dull fist. I guess that's what the BBC wants - cheap tricks to get bums in seats. Given the ratings losses of the last few years I suppose I can understand why. I also wonder if no one else wanted the job. It seems like every producer from John-Nathan Turner on is entirely consumed by the show.

• Love 1
Unfortunately for the most part his work on both shows (and from what I've heard, at Broadchurch) was crude, cheap, and grindingly mediocre.

On the contrary, season one of Broadchurch is excellent - atmospheric, emotional and intensely character-focused. Season two is equally emotional and character-focused, but drops the ball on the plot, which is why it received criticism. But season one is excellent. And frankly, even if Chibnall's Doctor Who does see more straightforward plots than Moffat's, if it achieves a similar level of characterisation, atmosphere and emotion as Broadchurch season one, I'll be satisfied.

At the end of the day, none of us can judge what it's going to be like until we see it on-screen.

Edited by Llywela

I don't know, I've seen a number of excellent writers stumble and fall when taking over showrunner reins (Moffat himself being the most recent). I don't recall ever seeing a mediocre writer reveal unexpected brilliance in the supervisory role. I'd really hoped Toby Whithouse might get the nod.

I've actually haven't seen the most recent season of Doctor Who because I completely lost interest in what Moffat was doing with the franchise. When I heard Moffat was leaving I was glad until I heard he would have some say in who replaces him. Moffat has been so narcissistic with his Who run I am sure he'd insist on someone who carried the torch exactly how he feels the show should carry on, which reduces the possibility greatly of someone coming in with a fresh take (this is ultimately one of the appeals of the premise.... the show can effectively reboot every time they doctor regenerates or there's a new companion... not that this has been exploited for maximum effect before). 

I'm not that familiar with Chinball. I'm sure I've seen many of his Who and Torchwood episodes but it's hard for me to remember if any of them were particularly noteworthy. The work I'm most familiar with is Broadchurch, and I thought the first season was terrific. The second season was a bit of a bore. I'm not really sure how that will project to what he might do with Doctor Who as a showrunner, but overall I'm not left with the impression that there will be anything particularly fresh or exciting about what he might do with it.

I love the character and premise of this show... the possibilities with what can be done with it are endless. Sometime the BBC needs to realize this is something that should be exploited.

• Love 1

I'm willing to give Chibnall a chance.  I really liked Broadchurch, and even the two part Silurian story.  I think what I really like about him is that he does dialogue really well.  It sounds like people really talk instead of Moffat's just move the plot along stuff.  His stories seem more character driven.  I'm ready for a change.

• Love 3

I would imagine Series 10 is going to be Capaldi's last as The Doctor.

I really hope so. I gave up on Doctor Who after suffering through about five episodes of the 12th Doctor. I'm hoping that 13 will bring back my love for the show.

Peter Capaldi quote from the Radio Times:

"“I’ve been asked to stay on, but it’s such a long time before I have to make that decision. Steven’s been absolutely wonderful, so I love working with him. Chris is fantastic, and I think he’s a hugely talented guy. I don’t know where the show’s gonna go then. I don’t know. I have to make up my mind, and I haven’t yet. As Steven [Moffat] will tell you, it’s very difficult to say goodbye.”​

Peter Capaldi quote from a Radio 2 interview:

"I love being Doctor Who so I will be around as long as it’s right to be around."​

Sound like Peter wants to be around for a while longer.

• Love 1

I'm hoping that with Chris stepping in as EP he will let other writers hop on board to write individual episodes, especially women and people of color, because this show desperately needs that diversity.

• Love 1