Type keyword(s) to search

Netflix Revival: Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

Well sure. And with all the talk of a wedding, it is probably Jason and Emily. She always had a thin for insurance men.

Oh the mental images. I'm not sure I can forgive you for this, dusty. ;)

Why waste time with superfluous bit parts?  That leaves less time for any really interesting interactions.  With only 4 episodes, I want to see all of the straight up regulars.  

• Love 1

Why waste time with superfluous bit parts? That leaves less time for any really interesting interactions. With only 4 episodes, I want to see all of the straight up regulars.

There are going to be 4 90 minute episodes( regular episodes were a little over 40 minutes). IMO, that leaves more than enough time for the regulars.

All it takes is one town meeting or event and you can see many characters at one time. I don't think it will take anything away from the 'regulars'

I would be inclined to agree except so many of the characters that have been announced to be returning don't fit into the same world/storylines at all. Having Logan, Dean and Jess all in one episode feels super unrealistic and strange.

• Love 2

http://emilydoesthething.tumblr.com/...ecause-im-cool

From the picture at the above link of Stacey Oristano's script, it was confirmed that Rory's 3 ex-boyfriends and Lane would be in the Fall episode. If you zoom in, you can make out that Christopher....David Sutcliffe is in the Fall episode. It's typed on the second page on the same line where Amy Sherman-Palladino's name is typed on the first page.

I just hope he's there for Rory as a dad and nothing else. No offense to other's opinions.

So, this is my first time posting, but I love reading the conversations on this forum because I love GG and am excited but nervous for the revival. Forgive me if I type anything I'm not supposed to in this forum. I am an admitted L/L fan because I love the underdog, and to me throughout the show Luke was always the underdog in winning Lorelai's affections and then the underdog in season 6 when ASP wanted to, IMO, create drama, which she successfully did, because I've found many people who turned on Luke after one season, forgetting all of his good qualities from the previous 5 seasons, merely because he didn't handle the situation with his daughter as they think he should have. And then all of the sudden in comes Christopher, and isn't he so great (season 7), let's forget all of his bad qualities, now! Sorry, for the long post. I have frustrations I needed to get out and I just want to see a happy ending or at least realistic problems from a happy marriage (b/c it does exist!)

Edited by lgold
  • Love 2

I would be inclined to agree except so many of the characters that have been announced to be returning don't fit into the same world/storylines at all. Having Logan, Dean and Jess all in one episode feels super unrealistic and strange.

I agree.  Not to mention, how realistic is it that after 8 years, you would find yourself faced with the dilemma of your 3 ex-boyfriends all at the same time and place, unless, you've been keeping in touch with them over those 8 years.  Or, alternate theory, you've been in a coma for 15 years, and as your waking out of your dream world- Stars Hollow, the significant relationships from your dream come so you can face them, resolve your issues, and wake up.  Because this is so far-fetched, I hope that there is a reality behind them all being there in the same episode.

• Love 1

Or -- Rory could be writing her memoirs, and re-connecting with her exes as research. But more likely, encountering her exes is going to involve some unlikely coincidences.

Or -- Rory could be writing her memoirs, and re-connecting with her exes as research

I can imagine the title: "I Stole a Boat: The Life, Loves and Loose Lips of the Least Interesting Gilmore Girl." 

• Love 6

I agree.  Not to mention, how realistic is it that after 8 years, you would find yourself faced with the dilemma of your 3 ex-boyfriends all at the same time and place, unless, you've been keeping in touch with them over those 8 years.  Or, alternate theory, you've been in a coma for 15 years, and as your waking out of your dream world- Stars Hollow, the significant relationships from your dream come so you can face them, resolve your issues, and wake up.  Because this is so far-fetched, I hope that there is a reality behind them all being there in the same episode.

I think its a little far fetched but not impossible. Couldn't Rory be traveling from Stars Hollow to New Haven in a 90 minute episode? If all 3 exes are in this; I'm going to wager that maybe Dean is in Stars Hollow? Or she could run into him in Hartford where he has moved when she visits Emily? See Logan at a Yale event. Talk or see Jess also in Stars Hollow because of Luke/Lorelai (if that is happening)? I mean in a long episode Rory driving around and on different days running into 3 exes is sitcom-my and clear plot points but to me it can make sense.  

(edited)

I think its a little far fetched but not impossible. Couldn't Rory be traveling from Stars Hollow to New Haven in a 90 minute episode? If all 3 exes are in this; I'm going to wager that maybe Dean is in Stars Hollow? Or she could run into him in Hartford where he has moved when she visits Emily? See Logan at a Yale event. Talk or see Jess also in Stars Hollow because of Luke/Lorelai (if that is happening)? I mean in a long episode Rory driving around and on different days running into 3 exes is sitcom-my and clear plot points but to me it can make sense.

Again, would be inclined to agree if MC wasn't in multiple episodes with the LDB and Mitchum making appearances as well.

Dean and Jess are easily explained. They both have family in Stars Hollow. I just don't know how Logan's circle fits into this story 8 years later.

Edited by stopthestatic
(edited)

Again, would be inclined to agree if MC wasn't in multiple episodes with the LDB and Mitchum making appearances as well.

Dean and Jess are easily explained. They both have family in Stars Hollow. I just don't know how Logan's circle fits into this story 8 years later.

I get it. Just offering a plausible explanation. I would be good with just brief appearances from all of them but that's probably not going to happen. Edited by Bwill3133
(edited)

So, the long awaited L/L photo has surfaced.

Interweb reaction varies from tears of joy to 'another damn dream sequence.'

The photo will appear in the April 15 edition of Entertainment Weekly.

What do you think?

Edit: sorry for the bad link. Here are a couple. Hopefully one will work.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00095961.html 

http://actuallylorelaigilmore.tumblr.com/post/142376526410/peppahwood-from-an-upcoming-issue-of 

(has a few words from the actual article)

http://www.gilmorenews.com/2016/04/06/first-gilmore-girls-pics-coming-soon/ 

Edited by junienmomo

So, the long awaited L/L photo has surfaced.

Interweb reaction varies from tears of joy to 'another damn dream sequence.'

The photo will appear in the April 15 edition of Entertainment Weekly.

What do you think?

Junie,I was so happy when I saw the photo on Twitter last night then you reminded me of the damn dreams! Now I'm going  to worry again...

• Love 1

I'm sorry. :(   

I'm trying to stay optimistic though.  It could be their wedding, after all! :)

Scott Patterson said in the reunion that the fans deserved a wedding, so maybe. Hopefully they have at least been together. Why do we care? It's a stupid show...sometimes I laugh at myself for caring :)

• Love 2
(edited)

Still no answer to the most pressing question of all: has Rory's posture improved?

Kidding, kidding. From the screenshots of that article, it looks like a lot of EW's "scoop" is collected from the digging fans have already done (the photos of the wedding props, e.g.). 

Could Sutton be playing Lorelai in "Stars Hollow: The Musical"?

In other news, Yanic says we'll see more of Michel and learn about his personal life. Yay!

The Twitter source for the information about the EW article says that filming is done May 10th to make way for PLL. I thought that was just exteriors, though, and that they would do the rest on soundstages.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2
(edited)

Still no answer to the most pressing question of all: has Rory's posture improved?

Kidding, kidding. From the screenshots of that article, it looks like a lot of EW's "scoop" is collected from the digging fans have already done (the photos of the wedding props, e.g.).

Could Sutton be playing Lorelai in "Stars Hollow: The Musical"?

In other news, Yanic says we'll see more of Michel and learn about his personal life. Yay!

The Twitter source for the information about the EW article says that filming is done May 10th to make way for PLL. I thought that was just exteriors, though, and that they would do the rest on soundstages.

ASP was commenting on the Melissa McCarthy situation and says that they will be filming til May 10th and if she wants to come and do something they will be there til then and she knows what they want her to do.

Good the sooner they end filming the sooner we get the episodes!!! Well hopefully! I'm thinking it will be released in the fall right?

Edited by SiobhanJW
  • Love 1
(edited)

ASP was commenting on the Melissa McCarthy situation and says that they will be filming til May 10th and if she wants to come and do something they will be there til then and she knows what they want her to do.

Good the sooner they end filming the sooner we get the episodes!!! Well hopefully! I'm thinking it will be released in the fall right?

Well, if ASP says so, I guess that's when filming stops. I could have sworn I saw something about filming being scheduled until June 30th. Maybe that builds in time for all the sets to be disassembled? What I don't know about TV production could fill a library.

I also hope that this means that we'll get the episodes sooner, especially if they're starting the big promotion in Entertainment Weekly now. What would a realistic lag between the end of filming and the release date be for a show like this? Any guesses?

From the EW magazine scan posted, it looks like the Stars Hollow musical auditions take place in "Summer."

Edited by Eyes High

ASP was commenting on the Melissa McCarthy situation and says that they will be filming til May 10th and if she wants to come and do something they will be there til then

That doesn't sound very inviting, sounds like "she knows where to find me."

• Love 4

MM wouldn't pose for a cameo and a stupid line or two. Would she?

I mean, it's wrong for her to NOT be there, but at the same time...ASP better kill her off in the most spectacular way. Like she was game hunting in Africa and got bitten by a Black Mamba.

I have to admit I nearly squealed when I saw the new photos! :D That Luke and Lorelai pic is so cute and that Stars Hollow musical is bound to be fun. I wonder if we'll hear Lauren singing again! :) Can't wait for them to come out now, I'm so excited!! :p

I just really don't want a L/L wedding in the revival. It actually has less to do with my personal dislike of them as a couple  and more to do with the amount of time that's elapsed. If marriage were something they wanted to do, why in the world wouldn't they have done it by now? Maybe they just didn't think they needed/wanted to get married and something---a surprise pregnancy?!---forces them to rethink that? That's certainly plausible, but I really hope it's not because they've still remained unsure about each other and their relationship. I already have enough trouble buying that they have any chemistry or compatibility and are well suited---the idea that they STILL can't decide whether they want to marry yet just feels like another sign that this couple can't get its act together and likely never will.  It also just feels a little like fan pandering to me, with AS-P graciously giving many what they wanted to see---a L/L wedding---despite the fact that it makes little sense that that wouldn't have already happened by now and that SHE'S the one who, IMO, wrote them so terribly as a couple in the first place! And hearing L/L do their usual nonstop bickering over stuff like guest lists and tablecloth colors sounds fast forward worthy to me...I'm one of those weirdos who rarely enjoys watching wedding planning even when I like the couple involved! 

I want so much to be excited about this revival, but I'm keeping my expectations comfortably low :) 

By the way, does anyone think that maybe Richard died around the time that Luke/Lorelai were initially going to get married, thus explaining why they've put it off for an even more ridiculously long time than they might have?! Right from the time they initially got engaged, though, they both seemed to view their upcoming nuptials with all the enthusiasm of a condemned inmate awaiting his execution date, so I hope that this time around they actually manage to seem like they WANT to marry or can fake it more convincingly :) 

• Love 1

I just really don't want a L/L wedding in the revival. It actually has less to do with my personal dislike of them as a couple  and more to do with the amount of time that's elapsed

Maybe it's not a wedding but a vow renewal :)

ASP's mouthpiece Ausiello is more direct about L/L in tv.com. At least the door is still open for L/L to have a healthy relationship. 

"Far less ambiguous is the status of Lorelai’s relationship with longtime love Luke when the action picks up eight years after the series finale. The EW piece confirms that the duo are still not married."

http://tvline.com/2016/04/07/gilmore-girls-revival-luke-lorelai-not-married/

I'm starting to believe that, in spite of acknowledging the existing season 7, they are actually doing their own season 7, just everyone is older.

A Stars Hollow Musical with the history of Stars Hollow? 

Why do I get the sinking feeling that part of that musical is going to look like us watching our favorite characters sitting still, doing nothing as they watch themselves played very badly by actors/characters who I care nothing at all about? 

Geez. Our troubadour could have handled that in the opening and closing sequences of the movies and we would have at least seen a character I care about.

The whole Melissa McCarthy fiasco seems to get more unprofessional and embarrassing with every press release.

I'm beginning to think that the final four words are

"F you, loyal viewers."

• Love 5

ASP's mouthpiece Ausiello is more direct about L/L in tv.com. At least the door is still open for L/L to have a healthy relationship. 

"Far less ambiguous is the status of Lorelai’s relationship with longtime love Luke when the action picks up eight years after the series finale. The EW piece confirms that the duo are still not married."

http://tvline.com/2016/04/07/gilmore-girls-revival-luke-lorelai-not-married/

I'm starting to believe that, in spite of acknowledging the existing season 7, they are actually doing their own season 7, just everyone is older.

A Stars Hollow Musical with the history of Stars Hollow? 

Why do I get the sinking feeling that part of that musical is going to look like us watching our favorite characters sitting still, doing nothing as they watch themselves played very badly by actors/characters who I care nothing at all about? 

Geez. Our troubadour could have handled that in the opening and closing sequences of the movies and we would have at least seen a character I care about.

The whole Melissa McCarthy fiasco seems to get more unprofessional and embarrassing with every press release.

I'm beginning to think that the final four words are

"F you, loyal viewers."

Shouldn't surprise us, wasn't season 6 a big fat middle finger to the fans as well?

• Love 3

According to the tvline.com article, the final four words are more of a cliffhanger.

Assuming that Rory's at Chilton for Career Day, it seems that it takes place either in "Spring" or "Summer" (judging from her attire).

The cover photo of Alexis Bledel on the cover is giving me serious Elizabeth Reaser vibes.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think it's all that implausible that Lorelai and Luke have never married, but may have decided to do so now. I can easily see them getting back together and talking about marriage, but deciding that their previous attempts were dogged by disaster and they are happy as they are, so why jinx it, and then living together perfectly happily for several years - but then Richard's death hitting Lorelai hard, and being the catalyst that makes her want to get married after all. It just doesn't seem that far-fetched to me, after their history. But then, I had an uncle and aunt who lived together perfectly happily for the better part of 20 years before suddenly deciding to get married!

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 5

Re: the L/L spoiler - Amy is disappointed.

"Amy was quoted as saying “It’s a pain in the ass and a real bummer. We want it to be special for fans, but it’s a nosy world we live in.”"

This goes to show that she isn't (and probably Netflix is) driving the publicity for the revival. 

I think Netflix has managed PR incredibly well, and that this spoiler has been deliberately released in this time frame. Maybe the four day early release wasn't planned, but since the Today show was all over it this morning, I'm still guessing not.

My little javajunkie heart whispers that she's not so much disappointed in the nosiness of the world as she is about the shower of "Are you kidding? Still not married?" emails she'll get before the show wraps. 

(edited)

Rory (apparently) struggling with being a journalist and with living "a vagalike life" as the Twitter user put it will be some sweet, sweet vindication for the fans who claimed all along that journalism was a lousy fit for Rory. Maybe she changes careers over the course of the revival?

EW.com is reporting that the Stars Hollow musical will feature not only Sutton Foster but also Kerry Butler and Christian Borle. We will see chunks of the musical but not the whole thing: the score is by Jeanine Tesori (who won a Tony for her Fun Home score). The musical is supposed to be in "Summer," the third episode, which means, since Sutton Foster is in MV's mystery episode and since Sutton Foster is only in one episode, that the script MV photographed was in fact "Summer," which I deduced a month and a half ago on this very thread, not that I'm bragging or anything (I'm totally bragging).

Someone took a picture on set of Jess' car covered in what appeared to be fake snow. So his 3 (or two and a cameo) appearances appear to be 1x01, 1x03 and 1x04 (with the last two confirmed), and he sits out "Summer"...which is a shame, because I can only imagine the snark that Jess would unload regarding a Stars Hollow musical.

I'm betting that Sutton Foster is Musical Lorelai, and Christian Borle is Musical Luke. (Foster and Borle used to be married and Borle became obsessed with GG while married to Foster. How meta!)  No idea who Kerry Butler is supposed to be (at 44, she's kind of old to be playing Rory, right?), other than her character is likely called "Claudia," judging from the photo of the trailer with a "Kerry/Claudia" on it.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
Rory (apparently) struggling with being a journalist and with living "a vagalike life" as the Twitter user put it will be some sweet, sweet vindication for the fans who claimed all along that journalism was a lousy fit for Rory. Maybe she changes careers over the course of the revival?

That would be fairly realistic, imo. Didn't Rory graduate right around the time that sustaining a journalism career became a serious challenge, no matter how prestigious your undergrad program was? Some of my college cohort went into journalism about a decade before Rory, and nearly all of them have changed careers at this point.  

Trying to reserve judgment on the townie stuff and an L/L wedding. Having 90 minute episodes will make it more like a TV movie than a traditional episode, after all. 

In the photo of Rory at Chilton the blackboard behind her is full of notes about The Motifs of Jane Eyre. It would be strange to have those notes left up for career day. So I'm guessing she's a substitute English teacher to make money while writing all her unpaid HuffPo articles.

I don't think she'd just live off her trustfund, it wouldn't be how she was raised. Or maybe she used her trustfund to buy a home and she still needs some sort of steady income to cover food, utilities, health insurance, etc.

If she's having a career crisis, maybe she's substituting while she considers becoming a teacher.  Rory was a great student who loved school; in my experience, a lot of A students at least flirt with the idea of teaching at some point.

• Love 2
(edited)
I'm betting that Sutton Foster is Musical Lorelai, and Christian Borle is Musical Luke. (Foster and Borle used to be married and Borle became obsessed with GG while married to Foster. How meta!)  No idea who Kerry Butler is supposed to be (at 44, she's kind of old to be playing Rory, right?), other than her character is likely called "Claudia," judging from the photo of the trailer with a "Kerry/Claudia" on it.

I'm actually really relieved at those news. All those cameos from Bunheads were starting to worry me.

That would be fairly realistic, imo. Didn't Rory graduate right around the time that sustaining a journalism career became a serious challenge, no matter how prestigious your undergrad program was? Some of my college cohort went into journalism about a decade before Rory, and nearly all of them have changed careers at this point.

I won't hold my breath waiting for ASP to write a realistic storyline for Rory. I'm kind of expecting some throwaway line that might reference the above, but by the end of the revival Rory's troubles will have magically disappeared. 

That said, I don't know how I'd feel if they made Rory a teacher. I believe she'd be good at it. She seems to have done a lot of travelling and some but I don't want her to return home to teach permanently. Maybe teaching somewhere else would be cool.

The "cliffhanger" thing re: the final four words makes me think that Rory telling Lorelai she's pregnant is a likely final scene.

Agreed!

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1