Type keyword(s) to search

Netflix Revival: Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

I think it just depends on what you want from the revival. If you're looking for tons of plot and character development, you'll probably be disappointed. If you're similar to me and just wanting a pleasant time with " old friends," you'll most likely enjoy it.

Very well said. I for one am looking forward to seeing the characters and the town that I enjoyed so much. 

I think if you go into the viewing with an anticipation of being disappointed I'm pretty sure you will be. 

• Love 3

I have read a lot of posters, posting concerns of all the characters coming back and how they could fit into 4 episodes. I think many have failed to realized that this is a Netflix show. So basically they are giving us four 90 min episodes that are commercial free. That is 360 mins. which translates to 8 episodes of commercial TV. In reality they are giving us four movies. A lot of story telling can be done in a 90 min commercial free movie. I plan on binge watching so I am waiting for a release date so I can block out about 7 hours of my life. Hour snack snack and bathroom break between episodes 2 and three.

• Love 4

Great point, Watcher0363. ASP can fit a heck of a lot in a regular sized episode of Gilmore Girls, so I haven't been especially concerned over this. But I hadn't quite considered it in the way you put it. I think it could even be argued those four episodes could hold a full season worth of storyline without the fillers and some of the structural requirementes stretching a story through many episodes demands. I'm under the opinion that four 90-minutes episodes is an ideal format for a revival. Kinda wish Veronica Mars had been able to do it like that.

Good luck on your binging! I'm hoping to God they don't release all the episodes all at once. One per week might be ideal, imo, but if they stretch it through 4 months I won't complain. 

• Love 1

I have read a lot of posters, posting concerns of all the characters coming back and how they could fit into 4 episodes. I think many have failed to realized that this is a Netflix show. So basically they are giving us four 90 min episodes that are commercial free. That is 360 mins. which translates to 8 episodes of commercial TV. In reality they are giving us four movies. A lot of story telling can be done in a 90 min commercial free movie. I plan on binge watching so I am waiting for a release date so I can block out about 7 hours of my life. Hour snack snack and bathroom break between episodes 2 and three.

I have thought of that as well but when I think of all the wonderful townies like Babette, Miss Patty, Gypsy that are only going to be in one episode, that means 3/4 of a year these colorful characters won't be around.  So much of the charm to this show was the corky community of Star's Hollow that was created. No matter what, I will watch it but it is hard to believe it will hold the same magic, but I still am hopeful that it will.

Great point, Watcher0363. ASP can fit a heck of a lot in a regular sized episode of Gilmore Girls, so I haven't been especially concerned over this. But I hadn't quite considered it in the way you put it. I think it could even be argued those four episodes could hold a full season worth of storyline without the fillers and some of the structural requirementes stretching a story through many episodes demands. I'm under the opinion that four 90-minutes episodes is an ideal format for a revival. Kinda wish Veronica Mars had been able to do it like that.

Good luck on your binging! I'm hoping to God they don't release all the episodes all at once. One per week might be ideal, imo, but if they stretch it through 4 months I won't complain.

I would be surprised if they don't all drop at once. It tends to netflix's way.

Radio interview of the EW article (a little bit more than what was in the magazine):

Interviews with Alexis, Scott, Kelly, Lauren, and ASP.

https://soundcloud.com/allinmymind/gg-special

Francie is also back. This site is good for spoilers: http://www.gilmorenews.com/category/gilmore-girls-revival/

Thanks Igold. The weirdest thing I read in the gilmorenews story about the interviews is that Kelly missed PaulAnka. Were they ever in a scene together?

Update a little while later, after I've listened to the interviews:

After listening to Amy's segment it became clear that Lorelai, and probably both Lorelai and Rory, have huge autobiographical swaths of ASP. To be expected, for sure, but it really sounded like it this time, especially how she practically quotes her own script about how beautiful Dean is.

Head scratching moments:

- "Dean is a small town boy" huh? I know ASP is from NY, but Chicago ain't exactly Petticoat Junction.

- I don't know what Scott Patterson did to get on ASP's bad side, or if it's simply that ASP doesn't care much for the Luke character, but she went on and on about Lorelai's love for Christopher and David Sutcliffe. About Luke I think she had one short sentence.

- small logical inconsistency: SP talked about ASP telling him that negotiations were going on, but ASP's first comment had something about her and Daniel getting the idea themselves after ATX When they were back in NY?

In my little cloud cuckoo land, I see Amy picturing Daniel as her Luke equivalent while she fantasizes back at the Christopher's and Deans in her past. LOL.

Edited by junienmomo
About Luke I think she had one short sentence.

Yet, the one sentence was "Luke may be the best of all of ‘em."   I really enjoyed listening to the interviews, but they cut out the part where they talked spoilers.  It felt very deliberate to me that no one said anything about Luke's story line and very little about Lorelai except as it pertains to Rory and Emily.  I think Amy wants fans to find out what happens organically, not just facts here and there without knowing how the story unfolds.  She seems very committed to telling a story that's true to all of the characters, and I think in the long run that's going to be most important for me.  My favorite part was when Lauren or maybe Kelly said (from the script) you get the feeling these characters have been here living their lives for the past 8 years.

The weirdest thing I read in the gilmorenews story about the interviews is that Kelly missed PaulAnka. Were they ever in a scene together?

In the interview Kelly was talking about all the actors coming back and said it touches her heart that they brought back the original Paul Anka.

Edited by shron17
  • Love 1

After listening to Amy's segment it became clear that Lorelai, and probably both Lorelai and Rory, have huge autobiographical swaths of ASP.

I've heard that her own relationship with her mother isn't that great, so I could see her working out her own issues through Lorelai and Rory's relationship, and even Lorelai and Emily's.  Writing can be cathartic.

- I don't know what Scott Patterson did to get on ASP's bad side, or if it's simply that ASP doesn't care much for the Luke character, but she went on and on about Lorelai's love for Christopher and David Sutcliffe. About Luke I think she had one short sentence.

- small logical inconsistency: SP talked about ASP telling him that negotiations were going on, but ASP's first comment had something about her and Daniel getting the idea themselves after ATX When they were back in NY?

In my little cloud cuckoo land, I see Amy picturing Daniel as her Luke equivalent while she fantasizes back at the Christopher's and Deans in her past. LOL.

- Sometimes I think the Luke character might have gotten away from them, because he was meant to be a female at first.  So I don't know if the studio decided to change the character to a male or if the Palladino's did.  But sometimes it felt like maybe they were thrown by the popularity of the Luke sl- just speculating.  I've even read an article where the studio wanted Luke to get a spin-off but ASP felt Luke would never leave SH, so they went with the Jess spin-off.  

-I felt like her saying, "Luke might be the best of them all" was satisfying.  They really do not want to spoil that story for the fans, so I have resigned myself to just wait to find out what's going to happen.  

-I don't know if we'll ever get the straight story on how this revival all came about. I'm just glad it's happening and I'm ready for it to come already. I heard Ed Hermann was one of the first people to sign up for the ATX festival, its just sad he didn't get to live to see it come back to life.  

-I think you're also correct about Daniel being her Luke while she fantasizes about the Christopher's and Dean's in her past.  Like I said, writing can be cathartic, look at all the fan fiction people write so they can leave the story satisfied for themselves.  I always wondered, as other people have stated in the forums, about ASP not being able to write Lorelai and Rory in stable relationships, considering she seems to be in one with Daniel, they've been married quite awhile now.  But perhaps, its that them not being in a stable relationship allowed more opportunity for drama in their eyes, but she was coming off of a show, Roseanne, where the whole premise was about drama within a marriage and family, so I don't really know.  Its possible that there was a lot of behind the scenes pressure to create drama and ratings.  IDK. 

There has been so much info coming out, I sometimes wonder if they're going to release the episodes sooner than fall.  How are they going to keep up with the hype that's been created by the article and everything surrounding it?  My hope is we could possibly get a trailer in the summer, if they're sticking with the fall release.  That would totally top the article. I know its only a few months but its a long time to wait. :)

• Love 2

Head scratching moments:

- "Dean is a small town boy" huh? I know ASP is from NY, but Chicago ain't exactly Petticoat Junction.

Yeah, it always got to me that Paris called Dean 'Farmboy.' Chicago is more than 20 times bigger than Hartford. Chicago is a city that most people in the world have heard of and have some awareness of. Hartford is a city with global recognition from maybe those who work in/with specific areas of the insurance industry and Mark Twain fans (and Gilmore Girls fans, who don't exist in universe).

• Love 4

"Dean is a small town boy" huh? I know ASP is from NY, but Chicago ain't exactly Petticoat Junction.

When we were told that Dean came from Chicago, that doesn't necessarily mean he lived in the city. Chicago like many other major cities is surrounded by small towns and suburbs. Mr. aloe was born in Chicago, but grew up in a small town southeast of the city. Whenever he is asked where he grew up, he always says Chicago.  ASP could have also been referring to his mindset, not necessarily where he spent the first 16 years of his life. 

• Love 2

- Sometimes I think the Luke character might have gotten away from them, because he was meant to be a female at first.  So I don't know if the studio decided to change the character to a male or if the Palladino's did.  But sometimes it felt like maybe they were thrown by the popularity of the Luke sl- just speculating.  I've even read an article where the studio wanted Luke to get a spin-off but ASP felt Luke would never leave SH, so they went with the Jess spin-off.  

-I felt like her saying, "Luke might be the best of them all" was satisfying.  They really do not want to spoil that story for the fans, so I have resigned myself to just wait to find out what's going to happen.  

:)

This is mostly a fan girl post on igold for taking what little sense I made, enhancing it and adding a ton of really interesting stuff. You rock!

Correct on the Luke used to be a woman character. The studio insisted on more testosterone and that was the character who got it. Fair enough for ASP to write a female originally because that's her strength. Fair enough on the studio to insist on something to draw ratings from a broader group.

I could easily envision a Luke's Diner show, especially if they had enough townies of the caliber of Michael Winter and Sally Struthers. Too bad Jess' storyline got the nod instead. They could have incorporated the whole Venice Beach incident as a segment in the Luke's Diner structure. Don't know how much people would buy a Stars Hollow without a Lorelai, though.

I wonder if they could have moved Bunheads to Stars Hollow. Never saw the show.

• Love 2

ASP gushed about David Sutcliffe, but she said one sentence about Lorelai loving Christopher. IMO, that's not going on and on. I found her sentence about Luke satisfying especially if she's trying to avoid spoiling anything. Actually, all of the interviews made me optimistic about this revival.

• Love 3

This is mostly a fan girl post on igold for taking what little sense I made, enhancing it and adding a ton of really interesting stuff. You rock!

I could easily envision a Luke's Diner show, especially if they had enough townies of the caliber of Michael Winter and Sally Struthers. Too bad Jess' storyline got the nod instead. They could have incorporated the whole Venice Beach incident as a segment in the Luke's Diner structure. Don't know how much people would buy a Stars Hollow without a Lorelai, though.

I wonder if they could have moved Bunheads to Stars Hollow. Never saw the show.

junienmomo, LOL. I watched this show sporadically when it was on tv, but I think I was more into Buffy or Friends or something, and then I saw the episode where Rory sleeps with her ex-married boyfriend and I stopped watching, so I never really knew what was going on with the show.  Then I started watching the reruns on UP network and realized it was on Netflix and binge watched it.  I was so surprised by the way the show went that I started googling everything I could and was surprised to find so many forums and articles and think pieces and then of course, they announced the revival to my delight.  

My favorite season is pretty much season 2 and 3, with 1 following, because I love the Luke and Jess storyline.  Of course, I love the Gilmore sl, too.  But I always wanted to know about Luke's relationship with his father and how that impacted him, mostly from a personal standpoint because I lost my father when I was 21, and it pretty much still affects me to this day even though its been almost 15 years now.  So I def would have tuned in to the Luke's Diner show, it probably could have worked as a crossover or something, although that probably would have been a lot of work for the actors.  

I think Bunheads could definitely be in Stars Hollow from what I've seen.  I'm looking forward to the musical in the revival, the dance numbers on Bunheads are really great and Sutton Foster is a really good musical theater actor, so I'm looking forward to that.  

ASP could have also been referring to his mindset, not necessarily where he spent the first 16 years of his life.

I think she does mean his mindset, but it might be more accurate to say east coast as compared to the midwest, rather than big/small town.

I felt like her saying, "Luke might be the best of them all" was satisfying.  They really do not want to spoil that story for the fans, so I have resigned myself to just wait to find out what's going to happen.

I'm resigned also, and actually happy to be so.  I think it's always more satisfying to watch without being spoiled.  Sadly when it comes to GG I have no self-control and will compulsively find out as much as I possibly can as soon as I possibly can.

• Love 1

Are you freaking kidding?  First the LADB and now yet another minor character who disappeared completely after one season?  Gah!!!

It looks pretty Chilton heavy, these minor characters. Is Yale pretty much limited to the LADB?

I read a tweet from one of the Madeleine Louise pair, saying they'd been asked back, but it got nixed when they ran out of pages.

ASP said she tried for Max as well, but it didn't work out.

But Francie didn't disappear. She was last seen throughout the 3rd season, after which she presumably went to a college other than Yale. I'd like to see Madeline and Louise in the revival. They were very regular supporting characters and the last I remember they had both dropped out of college and were doing 'permanent spring break' in Florida.

• Love 1

This really looks more and more like a betting contest for 'How many characters can we bring back?' rather than actually telling a story. How many people are supposed to be in the 4 episodes now? 100? And most of them shouldn't even be there. There is no need for the damn LADB. The only story there should be is about the life of the main characters and the people in their lives. Show us what's changed and since this takes place shortly after Richard's death show us how that affects all those relationships. What is the LADB or Jason for that matter doing there? Max would have at least made sense if they are doing a Chilton reunion story because he could still be a teacher there. Christopher doesn't need to be there either unless Rory gets married or something. And he better not be there for more Christopher/Lorelai/Luke triangle crap. There is no need for Dean since he has been in SH all this time and they didn't bother to show/mention him in S6/7 so why now? Jess makes sense if there is something going on with Luke. Logan makes no sense unless they get him and Rory back together. And thanks to so many characters being there the townies only get one episode? Urgh.

• Love 6

I am waiting to see the revival before passing judgement. This is the Pallidinos chance of redemption after sabotaging S6 and not being part of S7. They have a chance to do it right, and I really want to hear the last 4 words.

• Love 4

I'm very happy the troubadour is back.  To me, he's a big part of the Stars Hollow charm.  There's a video of all of his clips throughout the series--we didn't see nearly enough of him in season 7.  I also want to see a lot of the townies but are we absolutely sure Babette and Miss Patty are only in 1 movie (=2 episodes)?  Morey is supposed to be there too and he's not listed on IMDB at all.  It seems Taylor and Kirk are in most episodes at least.  We've heard of 2 town events and there could be more.

I'm perfectly willing to let Amy and Dan decide who's going to be in it and who isn't since they wrote it and pitched it until they found a place willing to make more.  I'm just so happy it all worked out..

Edited by shron17
  • Love 1

I also want to see a lot of the townies but are we absolutely sure Babette and Miss Patty are only in 1 movie (=2 episodes)?  Morey is supposed to be there too and he's not listed on IMDB at all.  It seems Taylor and Kirk are in most episodes at least.  We've heard of 2 town events and there could be more.

Nope, we don't have any confirmation on their episode count. We know Taylor is in 3 but other than that we don't know how many episodes the townies are in.

Nope, we don't have any confirmation on their episode count. We know Taylor is in 3 but other than that we don't know how many episodes the townies are in.

There was a posting on twitter that said Babette, Miss Patty, Andrew and Gypsy were in only one episode while the LADB fellows were in two.  How can they have the magical world of Stars Hollow with the wacky townies around for only 1/4 of the year?

Was that tweet linked to an article or something?

I'm not doubting what was said, but I've seen a surprising number of articles referencing episode counts that seem to be based mainly on IMDB.

Frankly, as loosely put together as the production seems to be, I wouldn't be shocked to find out that the episode counts for some of the more minor characters are still not set in stone.

• Love 1

I am beyond thrilled that Sookie will be returning. I hadn't heard the news when it was announced and now I am smiling like a Cheshire Cat. Good on Melissa for making it happen, because I am pretty sure that if she was as disinterested with the show as she seems to have been these last few years, or if there was bad blood, she stepped up and made a point of doing this for her fans and for fans of the show. Very proud of her.

I hope we get at least four shots of her: Sookie with her kids, Sookie at the Dragonfly, Sookie helping Lorelai prep for the wedding and then Sookie at the wedding again. Just enough so that it feels like she's there, even if they have to shoot her in close-up because the wide angle shots are on a different day...

I really liked Jason and hope we get some closure on him. Hope he has a new gal on his arm and a new career.

I'd love a shot of Jason and Dean drinking beers and high-fiving each other for having survived a disastrous affair with a Gilmore Girl.

• Love 1

I'm kinda of bummed out at the news Madeline and Louise aren't gonna be part of the revival, Yes, they could be a little one note but they were always amusing, imo. I hope we get a line or two about how they're doing. Same for Tristan.

Tristan's returning. :)

You mean CMM or ASP actually has confirmed it? Because the last time I heard anything about him was in relation to that other actor being listed as Tristan in IMDB and, well, IMDB is notoriously untrustworthy.

Oh well I just heard another actor was coming back as him.

• Love 1

There was a posting on twitter that said Babette, Miss Patty, Andrew and Gypsy were in only one episode while the LADB fellows were in two.  How can they have the magical world of Stars Hollow with the wacky townies around for only 1/4 of the year?

Pretty sure that is all based on IMDb which people just put in placeholder episodes for anyone who was announced as returning. We know there are 2 town meetings and they're in different episodes so I would bet we're seeing them all at a minimum in 2 episodes.

It was a very important moment!

I'm shocked the Bangles aren't being brought back. 

If Wilson Phillips can reunite for Bridesmaids, then the Bangles can reunite for the Gilmore Girls. Hell someone should hash tag Bangles for Gilmore Girls, I would but I am not on twitter. They don't even need to sing. Just have their bus breakdown on the way to Chilton's Founding anniversary and they end up having lunch in Luke's, while Gypsy works on the tour bus.

• Love 1

I didn't know SP got married - but, I guess why would I - I never paid attention to their personal lives back then - or, now.  I do remember reading an article about the show at the time and there was mention that the woman he was reportedly seeing had a tiny moment in one episode - 

My guess is all these more minor characters being brought back will have just moments of actual screen time - just a guess, though.  

I'm really going to miss EH - Richard was such a terrific character and he played it beautifully.  

Note: fixed my unforgivable incorrect initials for Mr. Hermann

Edited by roomtorome

ASP gushed about David Sutcliffe, but she said one sentence about Lorelai loving Christopher. IMO, that's not going on and on. I found her sentence about Luke satisfying especially if she's trying to avoid spoiling anything. Actually, all of the interviews made me optimistic about this revival.

When ASP was speaking about Lorelai loving Chris, I thought she was speaking about their history.  She also said Chris was such a great guy but then he would do something to mess things up. 

Does anyone else think that SP was throwing a bone out to his fans by saying in the interview that he and Lauren are working a lot together?

Edited by FictionLover
  • Love 1

When ASP was speaking about Lorelai loving Chris, I thought she was speaking about their history.  She also said Chris was such a great guy but then he would do something to mess things up. 

Does anyone else think that SP was throwing a bone out to his fans by saying in the interview that he and Lauren are working a lot together?

Not only that, but the "Looking forward to Friday" comment from him following someone's conjecture about a wedding on that Friday was blatantly leading us. All part of the PR machine.

They will tease the relationship ambiguity as much as possible. Tney're together, but how much together is it really? Same game with Rory and her beaux. Fair enough and kinda fun.

• Love 1

Not only that, but the "Looking forward to Friday" comment from him following someone's conjecture about a wedding on that Friday was blatantly leading us. All part of the PR machine.

They will tease the relationship ambiguity as much as possible. Tney're together, but how much together is it really? Same game with Rory and her beaux. Fair enough and kinda fun.

I remember his tweet to Lauren about looking forward to Friday but following someone's conjecture about a wedding is something I am not aware of.

Yes, it is kinda fun!

http://www.gilmorenews.com/2016/04/18/matt-czuchry-says-we-will-get-closure-from-revival/

He talked about the revival at the Tribeca Film Festival yesterday during some Good Wife panel. Looks like he's read all 4 episodes, which makes me think he's possibly in all of them? Unless ASP let him read all 4 regardless. 

Also Gregg Henry posted this on his Twitter account. 

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/18/gilmore-girls-revival-matt-czuchry-gregg-henry-reunion-photo

Guessing its from the 2nd or 3rd episode since they are with DP and he is directing those episodes. 

Edited by SiobhanJW

SP tweeted a picture with Milo, Sean Gunn, and the dialogue coach/(Professor from Yale) and he is in what looks like a suit/tux. Made me wonder what event Luke is going to?

https://twitter.com/ScottGPatterson/status/722245002303131648/photo/1?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=ScottGPatterson&utm_content=722245002303131648

Cute nicknames. Glad they're having fun.

More shots from the other guys. Is Sean Gunn's head really that small?

http://www.gilmorenews.com/2016/04/18/jess-luke-and-kirk-oh-my/

• Love 1