Type keyword(s) to search

Netflix Revival: Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

(edited)
I  expect that Richard  in keeping with the  traditional kind of  guidance  of  financial advisors left Emily very well provided for but did allow for her to have all the family money. After all, while unlikely, she could marry again. And then where would the Gilmore fortune be? As well, there might be various arrangements and structures that Richard himself might have been one voice or vote among others in the determination of  future disbursements.

I think if Emily married again, the money would be pretty easily protected with a pre-nup.  You can write them to specify that certain assets will not be co-mingled, and that your spouse agrees he or she will have no entitlement to them upon your death.  I'm pretty sure a financial advisor would tell Richard as much.  Not to mention that the situation described in the other comment would sound like a fairly cruel thing to do, since I think it would be akin to Richard saying he doesn't trust Emily and doesn't consider her to be entitled to "family" money despite the fact that she is his wife of many decades and also a Gilmore.

I can even get Luke and Lorelai engaged but not married. I just want it to be the have been engaged for 8 years.

I honestly am not thrilled with the continued engagement.  I figured after all they went through with the first failed engagement, they wouldn't want to stay in some kind of purgatory, always on the cusp of being married, but never taking that final step. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

I really want a scene between Emily and Rory where Rory really tells Emily its time to let things go between her and mom and even between Lorelai and Rory. Stating that Richard is dead, Straub is dead (possibly Francine), Trix is dead and Chris never got it together and one day Emily will be dead and needs to move on between the situation between Lorelai and Emily. That they need to stop fighting because one day Lorelai is going to end up like when Christopher did when Straub died going: "I really wish we would have stopped being so stubborn and settle things, and now we can't." That would be the highlight of everything for me with the revival. I want that. 

• Love 4

I really want a scene between Emily and Rory where Rory really tells Emily its time to let things go between her and mom and even between Lorelai and Rory. Stating that Richard is dead, Straub is dead (possibly Francine), Trix is dead and Chris never got it together and one day Emily will be dead and needs to move on between the situation between Lorelai and Emily. That they need to stop fighting because one day Lorelai is going to end up like when Christopher did when Straub died going: "I really wish we would have stopped being so stubborn and settle things, and now we can't." That would be the highlight of everything for me with the revival. I want that. 

As much as I would like to see this scene, I really hope that Lorelai and Emily have already reached a new point in their relationship. I would hate for them to have spent the last eight years doing the same dance they did throughout the series! 

As for L/L, I'm okay with them not being married as long as they are a committed couple and living together. Perhaps they didn't get married because they decided they didn't need/want to since their first marriages were such disasters. It would be realistic if Richard's death is the impetus for them to get married/engaged. 

• Love 1
It sounds like Rory is at a crossroads for sure, but even though it's possible that she transitions into a career better suited to her talents, she could just as equally charge back into journalism and rescue her career from the muck. I think the revival is supposed to move the main characters from positions of difficulty and strife ("Winter") to better, happier times ("Fall"); I thought I read an interview with ASP stating as much. So Rory will undergo some sort of career shift, but it could just be a revitalization of her lacklustre journalism career rather than a wholesale rejection of journalism.

Agreed.  I can't see Rory deciding to be a teacher, and think the picture is from an alumni/career type event especially since Paris has been shown to be at Chilton also.  If she does change careers, I think it would be cool to see Rory involved in publishing, even at Truncheon with Jess.  Not that they need to end up together, but they seemed to have similar interests and I could see them working well together.  It's interesting that deciding on her future career path will also profoundly affect her future relationships, both romantic and family. 

Even though I'm not happy with some of the spoilers, I'm glad the revival offers an opportunity for the ones who created these characters and their lives to also create  the defining moments for Lorelai, Rory, Emily and Luke.  Amy says in the article, "I ended it the way I was going to end the series."  I didn't even realize until I read that for me that's the essential part always missing from season 7.  And that made me understand why it's being done this way--they wanted to be the ones to show Lorelai making a permanent commitment and to show Rory finding her place in the world.  Sure, it may be tricky to pull it off after 8 years, but I really think it will all be all right. 

Has anyone bought the Entertainment Weekly?  I was wondering if there was much more information in it than what we can read on twitter or here.  I haven't seen it at any of the stores in our little northern MI town (almost like Star's Hollow without Kirk :)

Has anyone bought the Entertainment Weekly?  I was wondering if there was much more information in it than what we can read on twitter or here.  I haven't seen it at any of the stores in our little northern MI town (almost like Star's Hollow without Kirk :)

If you go to tumblr and look for peppahwood or maybe brittaden, then scroll way down, you might find more information.

I honestly am not thrilled with the continued engagement.  I figured after all they went through with the first failed engagement, they wouldn't want to stay in some kind of purgatory, always on the cusp of being married, but never taking that final step.

I'm adding on to my earlier post, in saying that if they have been engaged a long time, I think it would be devastating for Lorelai to know she missed her opportunity to get married while her father was still alive.  I also think it would be devastating for Emily (and perhaps might cause a serious fissure between she and Lorelai) to have Richard pass away before he could see his only child get married.  I'd honestly find that fascinating because it would be heartbreaking, very real and something very difficult to resolve between the two.  

Edited by txhorns79
I'm adding on to my earlier post, in saying that if they have been engaged a long time, I think it would be devastating for Lorelai to know she missed her opportunity to get married while her father was still alive.  I also think it would be devastating for Emily (and perhaps might cause a serious fissure between she and Lorelai) to have Richard pass away before he could see his only child get married.

I just can't see it meaning that much to Richard or Emily to see Lorelai marry Luke.  It didn't seem to me they had a huge reaction even when Lorelai married Christopher, whom they've wanted her to marry for years.  Richard especially seemed to take much more pride in Lorelai's accomplishments--opening a successful inn and raising a daughter who graduated from Yale.

I do wish Luke and Lorelai hadn't waited 8 years to get married.  But I can't change that, so I'm choosing to be happy about the fact that I get to see more scenes between them and that Amy and Dan are writing them.  I must be easy to please--it's making me pretty happy just looking at the picture of them.

• Love 1
I just can't see it meaning that much to Richard or Emily to see Lorelai marry Luke.  It didn't seem to me they had a huge reaction even when Lorelai married Christopher, whom they've wanted her to marry for years

I agree. It would be one thing  if this would have been  Lorelai's first wedding. But it was not.  Indeed, she has had two fiances plus a marriage.

I am taking as canon that she and Christopher were indeed legally married in France - although I must say I will be utterly delighted if those nuptials were revealed to be a sham.

• Love 1
I just can't see it meaning that much to Richard or Emily to see Lorelai marry Luke.  It didn't seem to me they had a huge reaction even when Lorelai married Christopher, whom they've wanted her to marry for years.  Richard especially seemed to take much more pride in Lorelai's accomplishments--opening a successful inn and raising a daughter who graduated from Yale.

I was thinking more of the marriage ceremony itself, not necessarily who the groom would be.  Emily and Richard never got to see their daughter have a wedding.  Richard never got to give her away at a wedding.  I know Emily would care about something like that, and I feel like Richard would too, even if he wasn't very vocal about that kind of thing.    

• Love 3

Is everyone feeling really positive about the writing for these 4 shows?  I'm not - I have to admit.  ASP had the show during the awful last half of season 5 and the entirely of awfulness that was season 6.  I found Bunheads derivative of GG with nothing really new and fresh at all.

I don't know - I know I will watch but I'm not going into this with very high hopes.  I think ASP was rather a one trick pony which she brilliantly displayed particularly in seasons 1, 2, 3 - then (for me) less so in season 4 and that first half of 5.  Then it was a blindingly fast slide into bad writing.  Again, just my opinion but she's not done anything since that warrants mention.  I know some people liked Bunheads but I found myself really disliking it almost from the start - 

ASP or Daniel P. hasn't worked since Bunheads - the terrible J. James lasted all of 7 episodes.  

I guess I found the never-ending trying to hard to be clever rants/quips just boring and no longer clever.  They were smart and clever in the early GG years -

So, bottom line:  are you all expecting a return to early form??  

• Love 6

I'm nervous about it too. I don't expect it to get as bad as season 6, since a) they won't have time for that, and b) I'll bet ASP feels like a lot is on the line. But I do worry about the humongous scale of the returning cast... pretty much everyone is coming back. So, I'm half afraid that it's going to feel like a bunch of cameos held together really loosely by a half-assed story. I'll enjoy seeing everyone, I guess. But I'm not sure the story is going to be very strong. Especially if it's still pop-culture reference heavy, since that sort of thing just doesn't seem that clever these days (as you noted above). If she starts throwing in references to current events instead, though, I expect it'll be even messier since events seem to be accelerated these days too. Current events tend to get swallowed by the next current event. They'll be old news by the time the episodes air, if she writes to comment on them. 

So, I guess I'm torn. It'd be safer to stick to the pop culture references from the 80's and earlier, I suppose. And no... not a lot of hope for magic, here. Just hoping to enjoy a little visit with old friends, so to speak. LOL

So, bottom line:  are you all expecting a return to early form??

I'm feeling more positive than not. GG had its issues but I still look back on it as one of those tv shows that managed to deliver an overall quality product. And that's not a long list.

I also understand that most of the external issues that caused the drop in quality of the storytelling won't occurr this time around but, regardless, I largelly enjoyed the most unpopular seasons such as s5-s7, save for Lane's neverending band storyline and TJ and Liz's continuous presence which I won't have to put to the same extent or not at all.

S3 and S4 are the ones I struggled with the most not in small part because of the direction they took Jess' character, who used to be one of my all time favorite characters, so my fears lie more along those lines: that ASP won't give that character his duo once and for all.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 1

Is everyone feeling really positive about the writing for these 4 shows?  I'm not - I have to admit.  ASP had the show during the awful last half of season 5 and the entirely of awfulness that was season 6.  

The revival news jumped the shark for me within the past day or so.

It's a combination of the EW article, its content, the MM announcement and ASP's spouting, which combine to give me a bad feeling.

So many of the "leaks" seem to conflict to me.

LG said we're going to be very happy with the LL relationship, but I'm not "very happy" if Ausiello's statement is to be taken literally.

Rory's status is currently a mystery that I cannot even judge.

The best characters are old. Period. I'm ok with that, but honestly, there's not enough plot bones in Rory's story, or acting chops, to justify an open-ended revival that moves to a new series. The musical, though, could be another .Here Comes the Son" back door way to get the musical's actors and the Palladinos another show. Meh.

ASP's handling of MM seemed condescending at the end of the PR stunt. "We'll bend over backwards for her" should have been said at the beginning, not the end.

Without going into more of that detail I will say clearly that a few stupid things said in press releases can be enormously mitigated by good editing and story work. We could have a great time with the revival.

I'm just not holding my breath any longer, and now half-expect to see Jess in full leather on top of a shark any day now.

• Love 2

IIRC, LG just said fans would be happy with the revival and never specifically mentioned L/L. But obviously the writers won't please everyone. Personally, everything I've heard makes me cautiously optimistic.

• Love 1

I'm still excited, but then, I don't hate S5, S6, or S7.

I don't think it's going to be cutting-edge quality, but I never really expected that.  Just like any reunion, I imagine it will be sometimes cliched, sometimes hokey, and sometimes awkward, but also sometimes joyous and wonderful.  There will be conversations (stories) with some people (characters) I could have gone my whole life without seeing again, and not enough time spent with others whom I truly wanted to see.  Everybody will be a little older and fatter.  Three people will bring potato salad.

I think it will be bittersweet, because reminiscing about the good old days is never quite as good as the old days actually were.  But at the end of the day, I'll be glad I came.

• Love 5

I saw a video on Twitter of Vanessa Marano talking about the GG episodes and what she had filmed (I saw it earlier when I was skimming Twitter I couldn't find it again). But basically she said that April is living the college life and that a lot of her life gets discussed at the dinner table with family members- Gilmore family members. She said she couldn't say anything more. 

ETA: Found it!! 

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/719314546616197120

Edited by SiobhanJW

IIRC, LG just said fans would be happy with the revival and never specifically mentioned L/L. But obviously the writers won't please everyone. Personally, everything I've heard makes me cautiously optimistic.

It looks like I overinterpreted the comments.

The apparently original (Ausiello) quote was 

TVLINE | Are fans going to be happy?

[Pauses, adopts a serious, thoughtful tone] For sure. For sure. I read a scene with Kelly [bishop, who plays matriarch Emily] today… and it was just completely alive. We have some really nice story together. And there’s definitely some resolution that we didn’t get [at the end of the series’ original run].

from http://tvline.com/2016/01/29/lauren-graham-gilmore-girls-revival-interview-netflix/ 

Which seems to have morphed the more it was re-communicated:

Lauren notes that reading the scripts was like meeting up with an old friend. So far, she’s read three of the four scripts, saying fans are going to be happy, that the scenes are “completely alive,” with a nice story and great resolution to the whole series.

from http://www.gilmorenews.com/2016/01/30/gilmore-girls-spoilers-from-lauren-graham-interview/ 

Thanks for the thoughts on it - I will watch with no particular expectations.  

To be honest, I am a bit surprised ASP was given this project at all given her lack of much work since the she left the show.  As much as I love GG - the show - I found her leaving the show unprofessional (personal opinion only) and not an action that I would expect to endear her to future employers.  

I don't know what she has been doing all these years since - don't much care.  I just hope she has evolved in her style and is not going to plop us back into 2003 Stars Hollow.  

Fingers crossed....

• Love 2

I found her leaving the show unprofessional

Not knowing the details of why she left, I think it is unfair to judge her actions as unprofessional. What information we were given is that she and the studio/network could not agree contractually. In your opinion do you think she should have just accepted whatever the studio/network wanted regardless of her own feelings or principles? 

Not knowing the details of why she left, I think it is unfair to judge her actions as unprofessional. What information we were given is that she and the studio/network could not agree contractually. In your opinion do you think she should have just accepted whatever the studio/network wanted regardless of her own feelings or principles?

If I remember right, she wanted a two year deal with the network, so she would be paid for another year even if Gilmore Girls was cancelled after its seventh season.  The network would only give her a year.  If she didn't like the terms, I don't think it is unprofessional to walk away.  Having said that, I don't think she's had much success since Gilmore Girls, so maybe in hindsight it was a mistake to walk away.     

If I remember right, she wanted a two year deal with the network, so she would be paid for another year even if Gilmore Girls was cancelled after its seventh season.  The network would only give her a year.  If she didn't like the terms, I don't think it is unprofessional to walk away.  Having said that, I don't think she's had much success since Gilmore Girls, so maybe in hindsight it was a mistake to walk away.

I agree if it were just the contract, but I think that she butchered Lorelai's character in season six, doing a real personality flip. A reputation for creating a scorched earth stays with a writer.

• Love 3

Having said that, I don't think she's had much success since Gilmore Girls, so maybe in hindsight it was a mistake to walk away.

One year of GG vs _ ? IDK, but if you are in an unpleasant working environment, maybe it is best to leave. If it is true that it was because ASP wanted two years and they only wanted to give her one, then I agree, I don't fault her for leaving. 

I agree if it were just the contract, but I think that she butchered Lorelai's character in season six, doing a real personality flip. A reputation for creating a scorched earth stays with a

writer.

She butchered Luke just as much IMO.

• Love 3

She butchered tons of people in season 6 and then seemed to just leave a bomb to go off with the finale. Which many people to this day are bitter about.

• Love 3

Yes, Luke and others as well. I focused on Lorelai, because if you butcher Emily or Luke, which they did, it's a big problem. But when you butcher a GG, you don't have the same show. Scorched earth.

• Love 2

Yes, Luke and others as well. I focused on Lorelai, because if you butcher Emily or Luke, which they did, it's a big problem. But when you butcher a GG, you don't have the same show. Scorched earth.

Not that I haven't seen show runners do that on the way out. Verses putting their toys away and letting others play with them later on. AS-P really did leave a burned house when she and her hubby left.

• Love 1

Not that I haven't seen show runners do that on the way out. Verses putting their toys away and letting others play with them later on. AS-P really did leave a burned house when she and her hubby left.

Pretty sure there was a tonne of asbestos in the ruins too.... It was a toxic deliberate choice....and the last episode of GG I ever watched.

• Love 2

As much as I hated the first half of S7, the second half of S6 was much worse as far as character assassination goes. I wonder if ASP thinks the problem with the show was S7 and not what she set in motion in season six. 

• Love 1

As much as I hated the first half of S7, the second half of S6 was much worse as far as character assassination goes. I wonder if ASP thinks the problem with the show was S7 and not what she set in motion in season six.

That depends on if she is thinking with her brain or her ego....

• Love 1

Yeah, if ASP was planning for Luke and Lorelai to get back together after S6 destruction, was she planning on a faster turnaround that David R? was able to do after Lorelai slept with Chris?  I suppose she was hoping, betting on the getting the 2 seasons, because how was that going to happen?  I don't know, but S6 is so painful and just gets worse and worse, making S7 almost a relief.  Even though, Luke, imo, was totally OOC in S7.  He suffered the most from losing the fast-moving writing of the Palladinos, even though they wrote him so horribly, character-wise in S6.  I don't know, it was all a mess, no one, who cared about L&L wanted to see them torn apart to be put back together at the last minute.  Why couldn't their problems be about what already existed?  Her parents who didn't adore him, their giddy/grumpy personalities, Jess, Rory, the town events, whatever...

• Love 2
So, bottom line:  are you all expecting a return to early form??

As more and more has been discussed and leaked and photos and cast lists posted, my expectations have lowered exponentially.  I don't think ASP can create an interesting and intriguing story when trying to cram virtually every character that populated the screen in even the most minor of roles into the four episodes.  And I don't think the scorched earth character assassinations that she created in crappy S6 can be undone with a few quippy exchanges even when there was some healing at the end of that dreadful S7.

I expect the worst so if it's at all watchable I will be a pleasantly surprised.

• Love 3

As more and more has been discussed and leaked and photos and cast lists posted, my expectations have lowered exponentially.  I don't think ASP can create an interesting and intriguing story when trying to cram virtually every character that populated the screen in even the most minor of roles into the four episodes.  And I don't think the scorched earth character assassinations that she created in crappy S6 can be undone with a few quippy exchanges even when there was some healing at the end of that dreadful S7.

I expect the worst so if it's at all watchable I will be a pleasantly surprised.

Yes, that's similar to my thinking as well, Kohola3. Especially giving us all of Rory's ex-boyfriends and the Life and Death Brigade. Sheesh. One small mercy though - no Liz!

• Love 3

To be fair, a lot of the characters returning could be for Richard's funeral?? Jason was his business partner. Yeh it ended badly but he would probably go pay his respects. Chris obviously knew Richard. Even Rory's exes could go for her. There may be an explanation for all the random characters returning. Personally I'm really looking forward to the revival! I think it will be really good! :)

• Love 3

To be fair, a lot of the characters returning could be for Richard's funeral?? Jason was his business partner. Yeh it ended badly but he would probably go pay his respects.

But wasn't it established that Jason was a fraidy cat about attending funerals? He skipped the one for Trix as I recall.

• Love 2

I could see each episode centering around a big event (or two) that would draw a lot of people from the past together, with the over hung story across the episodes being Emiy, Lorelei, and Rory each moving forward in some way.

I could see Lorelei and Luke staying unwed until now given how in the past things always seemed to fall apart over setting a date, wedding plans, etc.

I don't have super-high expectations - it's hard to catch lightning in a bottle and I'm not sure they can recapture the magic of the first few seasons. I'm seriously bummed about the LADB - I generally disliked the storylines involving Logan - it wasn't so much his character but that it never led anywhere interesting (to me).

I'd definitely prefer that Rory end up with none of them.

• Love 2

The LADB and some musical will probably monopolized two of the four episodes. And what's with the limited use of the townies?  Babette, Miss Patty and Gypsy are only in one episode. It sounds worse the more I hear about it...hope that I am proven wrong.

• Love 2

Seeing some of the recent pictures above makes me feel even more that Parenthood didn't do any favors for Lauren Graham in regard to her look and costuming, etc.  She always looked off in that show...older than she really is, and just not nearly as pretty.  Seeing the current GG pics, she seems more like herself....she looks good.  

When watching Parenthood, I could never figure out how she went from looking so great in GG to what she looked like in Parenthood.  I realize she had gotten a little older, but not that much older.  I guess Parenthood was trying to make her look rough around the edges? 

I'm not surprised that ASP/DP are angling to bring back as many characters as they can. I think they think that's what the vast majority of fans want. I'm reminded of the Veronica Mars movie, which did something similar. That doesn't mean the plots will not be good.

I think it just depends on what you want from the revival. If you're looking for tons of plot and character development, you'll probably be disappointed. If you're similar to me and just wanting a pleasant time with " old friends," you'll most likely enjoy it.

I don't have sources or anything just to be clear. This is just my speculation.

• Love 3

I think it just depends on what you want from the revival. If you're looking for tons of plot and character development, you'll probably be disappointed. If you're similar to me and just wanting a pleasant time with " old friends," you'll most likely enjoy it.

I don't have sources or anything just to be clear. This is just my speculation.

I'm the same. I am so not expecting greatness. Just excited to see Stars Hollow again!

Like with the X-Files revival, which was less than great IMO, I got one episode that I couldn't have been more thrilled with from start to finish and I wouldn't trade it for anything. If we get at least that type of thing with one of these? I'll be on cloud nine. But I'll also take mildly enjoyable if nothing else.

• Love 1
I'm the same. I am so not expecting greatness. Just excited to see Stars Hollow again!

Same here.  It's fun to revisit.  If the episodes are terrible, oh well.  That will suck, but it won't be the end of the world. 

I'm surprised to hear that Miss Patty, Babette and Gypsy are only in one episode!  That's disappointing. They are by far my favorite townies. It makes me nervous that we'll get too much of Yale and not enough Stars Hollow. 

• Love 1