Type keyword(s) to search

Netflix Revival: Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

Nick Holmes (Robert) did a bit of a walk and talk that wound up on Youtube. He talks about the GG revival and specifically says something along the lines of the LADB stuff being "sexy and fun" and "decadent" and being able to show things that they couldn't show before (paraphrasing here).

So...hookers and blow, am I right? 

• Love 4

I'm the one who put that on YouTube, though I've taken it down at his (very nice and funny) request. Here's the whole quote: “I’m excited, very excited for the upcoming episode for the Life and Death Brigade because of the kind of indulgence that can be shown that could not be shown before. It’s very exciting and very sexy and very fun”. 

He also told me that he's seen one half of one script and he wasn't allowed to keep it. They are not joking around with the secrecy. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm the one who put that on YouTube, though I've taken it down at his (very nice and funny) request. Here's the whole quote: “I’m excited, very excited for the upcoming episode for the Life and Death Brigade because of the kind of indulgence that can be shown that could not be shown before. It’s very exciting and very sexy and very fun”. 

He also told me that he's seen one half of one script and he wasn't allowed to keep it. They are not joking around with the secrecy. 

Thanks for the precise quote. I stand by my "hookers and blow" prediction, though. (Kidding. Kind of.) 

I thought the LADB props were required for two episodes, as opposed to the single "episode" Holmes mentioned. I suppose it's possible that only one episode will feature the "indulgent" craziness Holmes is referencing here.

I'm not entirely convinced it's not some sort of bachelor party, because if anything would give the LADB licence to go hog wild with the licentious decadence, that would be the occasion. If Holmes' script half involved a bachelor party for Logan, I can easily believe they would clamp down on any possibility for leaks.

I also don't think they will introduce a new love interest and have Rory marry him.

I don't think there will be a serious new love interest with Rory's boyfriends all over the episodes: the guy who's a possible new boyfriend in Winter (1x01) who doesn't stick around past the first episode ("Paul"), Dean in one ep, Jess in three eps, and Logan in two and maybe three eps. The episodes are 90 minutes apiece, but it sounds as if Rory's hands will be full juggling her exes. If they do manage to squeeze a serious new love interest in given that mess, I'll be very interested to see how they manage it.

Edited by Eyes High

I thought the LADB props were required for two episodes, as opposed to the single "episode" Holmes mentioned. I suppose it's possible that only one episode will feature the "indulgent" craziness Holmes is referencing here.

I'm not entirely convinced it's not some sort of bachelor party, because if anything would give the LADB licence to go hog wild with the licentious decadence, that would be the occasion. If Holmes' script half involved a bachelor party for Logan, I can easily believe they would clamp down on any possibility for leaks.

They may have been--but it's possible only one episode involves the whole LDB. Maybe the other is just Logan/Colin/Finn or some combination of them. I'm also wondering if Mitchum factors in in anyway...after all, he was an alum of the LDB. 

I doubt it's a bachelor party. I just don't see them getting Rory to that point with anyone. Plus, my exchange with Nick Holmes said to me that he doesn't know much about the endgame. He asked if there was anything he could do for me and I said "If you ever feel the random urge to massively violate your contract and reassure me that Rory does not end up with Jess, you have my email. Just kidding. Kind of." and he responded with "...I wish I knew about Rory and Jess - I've only seen half of one script...and I didn't get to keep it."

Granted, this has to be taken with a grain of salt with the secrecy and everything but given he didn't even need to respond to me I have no reason to believe he's lying.

They may have been--but it's possible only one episode involves the whole LDB. Maybe the other is just Logan/Colin/Finn or some combination of them. I'm also wondering if Mitchum factors in in anyway...after all, he was an alum of the LDB. 

I doubt it's a bachelor party. I just don't see them getting Rory to that point with anyone. Plus, my exchange with Nick Holmes said to me that he doesn't know much about the endgame. He asked if there was anything he could do for me and I said "If you ever feel the random urge to massively violate your contract and reassure me that Rory does not end up with Jess, you have my email. Just kidding. Kind of." and he responded with "...I wish I knew about Rory and Jess - I've only seen half of one script...and I didn't get to keep it."

Granted, this has to be taken with a grain of salt with the secrecy and everything but given he didn't even need to respond to me I have no reason to believe he's lying.

Cool. Thanks for the update. I don't think Nick Holmes is lying, either. On Game of Thrones, another show where leaks are an enormous concern, it's standard operating procedure for the actors only to see the portions of scripts featuring their characters.

It does seem like a pretty compressed timeline, especially since Rory seems to have a boyfriend already in 1x01 if my surmise that "Paul" is her boyfriend is correct. I agree that going from having a boyfriend, to not having a boyfriend, to reconnecting with an ex, to agreeing to marry that ex, to marrying that ex, all within the space of a year, seems like a fairly compressed timeline. Also, if 1x04 is about a wedding, I imagine it would be not some quiet, modest affair but rather some Big Deal that would devour the episode and take away the focus from Rory and Lorelai's relationship. So there are good storyline reasons for no Rory wedding in the revival.

With all that said, if Rory does reconnect with Logan or Jess in that way, it's not crazy to think that their relationship could progress fairly quickly, if not to the wedding stage, since there were previous relationships to build on, and since they're all in their 30s by this point (albeit their early 30s) and more inclined to be thinking about settling down quickly. (The cliche of people, especially straight guys, who date, date, date in their 20s and then hit 30 and marry the first person who will have them is a cliche for a reason.)

It does seem like a pretty compressed timeline, especially since Rory seems to have a boyfriend already in 1x01 if my surmise that "Paul" is her boyfriend is correct. I agree that going from having a boyfriend, to not having a boyfriend, to reconnecting with an ex, to agreeing to marry that ex, to marrying that ex, all within the space of a year, seems like a fairly compressed timeline. Also, if 1x04 is about a wedding, I imagine it would be not some quiet, modest affair but rather some Big Deal that would devour the episode and take away the focus from Rory and Lorelai's relationship. So there are good storyline reasons for no Rory wedding in the revival.

With all that said, if Rory does reconnect with Logan or Jess in that way, it's not crazy to think that their relationship could progress fairly quickly, if not to the wedding stage, since there were previous relationships to build on, and since they're all in their 30s by this point (albeit their early 30s) and more inclined to be thinking about settling down quickly. (The cliche of people, especially straight guys, who date, date, date in their 20s and then hit 30 and marry the first person who will have them is a cliche for a reason.)

Yeah, and Logan would be 35 by now, right? Jess would be 31-32. I just think the timeline is a little too compressed and you're right--a wedding would be a huge time suck, story-wise. I think if we see Rory "settle down", it'll probably just be an engagement. Or some Ross/Rachel "we're done messing around" type declaration. 

Yeah, and Logan would be 35 by now, right? Jess would be 31-32. I just think the timeline is a little too compressed and you're right--a wedding would be a huge time suck, story-wise. I think if we see Rory "settle down", it'll probably just be an engagement. Or some Ross/Rachel "we're done messing around" type declaration. 

That sounds about right. No wedding, but an "understanding" that she and whoever are in it for the long haul.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the only one of Dean/Logan/Jess who will be in a serious relationship when the revival picks up is Dean.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the only one of Dean/Logan/Jess who will be in a serious relationship when the revival picks up is Dean.

That would make sense to me. 

I'm curious to see what Logan is like in the revival--we never got to see how ASP would write a working-world Logan. He had a lot of growth in season 7--I really hope there was no "regression" because Rory turned him down. I always thought it was interesting that his little regression in season 7 was tied to a working world failure. Honestly I hope all of these guys (mostly Jess and Logan, idc about Dean) are living really great lives.

Also--if they really did want to have Rory get married (I doubt it), a lot of the believability of the timeline would depend on what type of contact she's had with these guys for the past 10 years. I feel like it's likely she's had contact with Jess if for no other reason than Luke and Lorelai. Logan is kind of a wild card, could go either way.

• Love 3

That would make sense to me. 

I'm curious to see what Logan is like in the revival--we never got to see how ASP would write a working-world Logan. He had a lot of growth in season 7--I really hope there was no "regression" because Rory turned him down. I always thought it was interesting that his little regression in season 7 was tied to a working world failure. Honestly I hope all of these guys (mostly Jess and Logan, idc about Dean) are living really great lives.

Also--if they really did want to have Rory get married (I doubt it), a lot of the believability of the timeline would depend on what type of contact she's had with these guys for the past 10 years. I feel like it's likely she's had contact with Jess if for no other reason than Luke and Lorelai. Logan is kind of a wild card, could go either way.

I agree; I hope all the guys are doing great and are very happy and fulfilled. I know Revival Jess is supposed to be salty and ornery as per MV, but he was salty and ornery even at his happiest, so I'm choosing to believe that he's happy whatever his levels of saltiness and orneriness are.

As for contact with the guys, I find it hard to believe she'd have no contact with Jess if Luke and Lorelai are still in a relationship, but on the other hand, she didn't see him at all in Season 6 except when he came to visit and when she decided to visit him. If there was contact between them in the intervening eight years, I'd think it was of a very limited nature and limited to events like funerals and weddings. With that said, I think she'd have a pretty good idea of what was going on in Jess' life through updates via Luke; I just think any direct contact would be minimal.

I cannot believe that ASP would spend a millisecond on that ridiculous LADB - in the entire series it took up, what, a total of maybe half an hour?  Hell, we spent more time in Miss Patty's dance studio than with those yo-yo's.  I am royally peeved to know that any of them will be in the revival let alone have to spend any time watching their stupid stunts.

I, too, am really thinking seriously about avoiding this and just letting things stay as they were in the last episode.

• Love 5
(edited)

I cannot believe that ASP would spend a millisecond on that ridiculous LADB - in the entire series it took up, what, a total of maybe half an hour?  Hell, we spent more time in Miss Patty's dance studio than with those yo-yo's.  I am royally peeved to know that any of them will be in the revival let alone have to spend any time watching their stupid stunts.

I, too, am really thinking seriously about avoiding this and just letting things stay as they were in the last episode.

To each their own, but I will say that Robert was in was only in 4 episodes, but Colin and Finn were in 14 (compared to Andrew who was in 20, Lulu who was in 15, TJ who was in 13, Gil who was in 13...) so while a small part of the series, they weren't exactly a minuscule part of the series.

As for contact with the guys, I find it hard to believe she'd have no contact with Jess if Luke and Lorelai are still in a relationship, but on the other hand, she didn't see him at all in Season 6 except when he came to visit and when she decided to visit him. If there was contact between them in the intervening eight years, I'd think it was of a very limited nature and limited to events like funerals and weddings. With that said, I think she'd have a pretty good idea of what was going on in Jess' life through updates via Luke; I just think any direct contact would be minimal.

This sounds about right to me. I think she'd probably know what Jess is up to, regardless of how much they actually talk themselves. I really think it would be great if they had developed a strong friendship though. I always thought they worked really well as friends, and I think that would work even better as adults. 

Edited by brightside
  • Love 1
(edited)

If Jess is happy and fulfilled and is happy to be Rory's friend without any romantic overtones, I'd be 100% happy with that. I also think it would be great for Rory and Jess to have a strong platonic relationship; Jess could even be in another relationship by the time of the revival. I just live in dread of triangle nonsense. At the very least, if Rory does have entanglements with both Logan and Jess in the revival, I hope that they occur independently of one another with no overlap.

...Strictly speaking, if L&L are still together by the time of the revival, Rory would have had a standing, preexisting connection to Jess as in-laws of a kind had she wanted that relationship to resume. That she hasn't and may have a new guy in Winter could be telling. If she'd wanted Jess, wouldn't she have hooked up with him before? I can buy her being distant from Logan with no immediate family connections and him living on another coast, but not Jess.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2

If Jess is happy and fulfilled and is happy to be Rory's friend without any romantic overtones, I'd be 100% happy with that. I also think it would be great for Rory and Jess to have a strong platonic relationship; Jess could even be in another relationship by the time of the revival. I just live in dread of triangle nonsense. At the very least, if Rory does have entanglements with both Logan and Jess in the revival, I hope that they occur independently of one another with no overlap.

THIS. No triangle. That might be the thing that would really kill the revival for me. I don't need that nonsense. 

• Love 3

I just don't understand why, of all the storylines and characters she could have chosen, ASP is bringing back the LDB. I really have no interest in watching a bunch of spoiled rich kids partying and doing stupid things.

• Love 3

I just don't understand why, of all the storylines and characters she could have chosen, ASP is bringing back the LDB. I really have no interest in watching a bunch of spoiled rich kids partying and doing stupid things.

Well I don't think we'll understand why anybody is coming back until we're able to watch it and see what they're doing. Personally, I don't understand the need to see Dean again--that storyline seemed good and done to me, but who knows? And depending on his status with Rory I don't quite get why Jess would need to be in 3 episodes--but I could be totally wrong. It's not like we have any idea what the plots or storylines are. And considering most everyone is coming back, I don't exactly understand why people think something is being sacrificed?

(edited)

Well I don't think we'll understand why anybody is coming back until we're able to watch it and see what they're doing. Personally, I don't understand the need to see Dean again--that storyline seemed good and done to me, but who knows? And depending on his status with Rory I don't quite get why Jess would need to be in 3 episodes--but I could be totally wrong. It's not like we have any idea what the plots or storylines are. And considering most everyone is coming back, I don't exactly understand why people think something is being sacrificed?

I don't really see the need for three episodes for Jess. Even if Jess is there to push people in the right direction, or whatever, as MV put it, would it really take him three separate seasons' and three 90 minute episodes' worth of time to do that? It took him only two episodes to encourage Rory to go back to Yale and to provide her with clarity with respect to Logan (albeit indirectly). Also, with Logan at least, we're getting Logan's dad and Logan's entourage, so those are things that could plausibly take up Logan's time in the revival. With Jess, we know Liz is not back, and there's no sign of TJ. I have trouble believing Jess is going to be hanging out in Stars Hollow for nine months of the year for the purposes of pushing people in the right direction. Isn't he supposed to have a publishing house in Philly? Doesn't he have shit to do? Much of Jess' storyline was centred on Rory in the show, so if he's not there for Rory drama, and I hope that he isn't, and if Luke and Lorelai are together, and all indications are that they are, I'm not exactly sure why he is there.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2

I don't really see the need for three episodes for Jess. Even if Jess is there to push people in the right direction, or whatever, as MV put it, would it really take him three separate seasons' and three 90 minute episodes' worth of time to do that? It took him only two episodes to encourage Rory to go back to Yale and to provide her with clarity with respect to Logan (albeit indirectly). Also, with Logan at least, we're getting Logan's dad and Logan's entourage, so those are things that could plausibly take up Logan's time in the revival. With Jess, we know Liz is not back, and there's no sign of TJ. I have trouble believing Jess is going to be hanging out in Stars Hollow for nine months of the year for the purposes of pushing people in the right direction. Isn't he supposed to have a publishing house in Philly? Doesn't he have shit to do? Much of Jess' storyline was centred on Rory in the show, so if he's not there for Rory drama, and I hope that he isn't, and if Luke and Lorelai are together, and all indications are that they are, I'm not exactly sure why he is there.

Three episodes seems like a lot to me, too. Unless it boils down to a scene or two per episode? Like, he's in town for Thanksgiving! Oh look, it's a family visit with Luke! Yeah...I don't know. 3 out of 4 episodes is a lot, even if he is with Rory because (I'm assuming) Rory will have some sort of career-centered story too.

But I think that because the format of these episodes is so different than we're used to, it's been so long and we have no idea what these characters are up to, and we don't even have anything like a plot summary, it's just not worth it to worry that any of the storylines are too heavy or a waste of time. We just don't have enough information to make any sort of judgements like that, in my opinion.

• Love 3

Three episodes seems like a lot to me, too. Unless it boils down to a scene or two per episode? Like, he's in town for Thanksgiving! Oh look, it's a family visit with Luke! Yeah...I don't know. 3 out of 4 episodes is a lot, even if he is with Rory because (I'm assuming) Rory will have some sort of career-centered story too.

But I think that because the format of these episodes is so different than we're used to, it's been so long and we have no idea what these characters are up to, and we don't even have anything like a plot summary, it's just not worth it to worry that any of the storylines are too heavy or a waste of time. We just don't have enough information to make any sort of judgements like that, in my opinion.

That's true. 90 minutes is a long time for each episode, after all. It could be that Jess' role is really rather minor in each episode, and it only seems like a lot because it's spread out over three separate episodes.

Given that Jess has never been shy about saying what he thinks needs to be said, I have trouble seeing how "pointing people in the right direction" is going to take up a lot of time. Of course, MV's description of Jess' role in the revival is unlikely to be exhaustive. There is probably other stuff going on that we don't know about yet.

I suppose it's also possible that decently mature Season 6 Jess is a casualty of the time jump, and Revival Jess has had some sort of career and/or personal meltdown in the intervening time period that winds up bringing him back to SH to lick his wounds and which hits the reset button on his relationships.

• Love 1

That's true. 90 minutes is a long time for each episode, after all. It could be that Jess' role is really rather minor in each episode, and it only seems like a lot because it's spread out over three separate episodes.

Given that Jess has never been shy about saying what he thinks needs to be said, I have trouble seeing how "pointing people in the right direction" is going to take up a lot of time. Of course, MV's description of Jess' role in the revival is unlikely to be exhaustive. There is probably other stuff going on that we don't know about yet.

I suppose it's also possible that decently mature Season 6 Jess is a casualty of the time jump, and Revival Jess has had some sort of career and/or personal meltdown in the intervening time period that winds up bringing him back to SH to lick his wounds and which hits the reset button on his relationships.

That's my worry about Revival!Logan. He did a lot of growing up in season 7, and I don't want any of that discounted. Just like Lorelai, Rory and Luke did a lot of changing in season 7. Say what you want about the last season (and I could say plenty) but there was a decent amount of character growth. I hope Amy and Dan respect that and the revival isn't full of characters who regressed. They should have progressed even more since we've seen them last! 

• Love 4
(edited)

For me I just keep thinking about the fact that they are 4- 90 Minute Episodes which basically translate to about 9 episodes if it were being shown on TV. So for me Jess being in 3 could literally mean he is in one Episode for 5 mins and the other two for 10 mins. And be in the total 9 episodes for 25 mins. Just because he is in 3 episodes doesn't mean he's in every scene. I'm sure some of the usual suspects in Stars Hollow are in every episode as well, doesn't mean they are on screen for very long. 

Don't get me wrong I think that Jess obviously intertwines with the main characters more. But for all we know as a poster above said, him and Rory could be really good friends. And since there are some Holiday's throughout these episodes he could be coming into town for those since he is part of the family. 

I'm a Logan girl, so i'm excited about him being in this and the prospect of LABD and just Logan in general. But in all honesty I am just so freaking excited that we are getting these episodes. I don't care who Rory ends up with, i'm just so excited we are getting this amazing treat and getting to see everyone again. I really never ever thought it would happen. 

Netflix is so secretive about all of their shows and the story lines. I would be SHOCKED if a big spoiler leaked. 

Edited by SiobhanJW
  • Love 2

My feelings exactly.  Especially since these nimrods are in their 30s now.

• Love 1

My feelings exactly.  Especially since these nimrods are in their 30s now.

And as AS-P wrote with former members, once they got into their 30s and had jobs and families, they really stopped caring about their glory days int he LDB. Its like AS-P wants to show that these guys just can't grow up and move on.

Maybe we should wait and see.  It could also be written that they have grown up and moved on but are having a once in 10 years anniversary type fling.  It's not something I'm particularly interested to see either, but I think it could be believable (and hopefully not take up too much screen time).  it's not like men and woman in their 30's never ever do anything crazy.  

• Love 3

Going with the assumption that "Winter" is this coming winter (2016/2017), Logan will be out of college for 10 years in summer 2017. I can easily imagine that it's a one-off ten year "class" reunion.

Much of Jess' storyline was centred on Rory in the show, so if he's not there for Rory drama, and I hope that he isn't, and if Luke and Lorelai are together, and all indications are that they are, I'm not exactly sure why he is there.

As other posters have suggested I don't think that any of Rory's former loves will take up much screen time regardless of how many episodes they are in. I believe the majority of the story lines and story time will center around the three Gilmore Girls, Luke and the town. Rory's drama with Jess will probably have to do with Rory's career crisis. Jess was always truthful with Luke concerning Lorelai, so maybe Luke and Lorelai are having problems and Jess helps Luke in this respect.

• Love 1
(edited)
Jess was always truthful with Luke concerning Lorelai, so maybe Luke and Lorelai are having problems and Jess helps Luke in this respect.

I've been thinking this is probable as well...and then trying to talk myself OUT of thinking it, because as much as I don't want to see stuff like the Life and Death Brigade, I think I'm even less interested in seeing more issues between Luke and Lorelai. External conflicts that they deal with together? Great, I'm all for it, despite not being a Luke or Luke/Lorelai fan in general. But the one thing I don't want are many unwelcome reminders of why Luke/Lorelai disappointed me so much as a couple in the first place: the constant misunderstandings and failures to connect and communicate, the surprising lack of joy, affection, compatibility and chemistry, and the way that each seems forever bewildered and irked by the other. I've accepted it as inevitable that they're together, but I was hoping that the revival would depict them as having grown from their past ill-fated attempts at having a happy and healthy romantic relationship rather than giving some of us more reasons to wonder why the heck they haven't moved on by now!

This is all random speculation, obviously---for all we know, Luke and Lorelai are super happy and healthy, and their storyline involves external issues that they face together rather than internal angst. But I have to admit that after reading MV's quotes I, too, wondered if Jess is there in large part to 'push' Luke and/or Lorelai out of yet another rough patch (do they ever have anything else?!) The only thing I'd like about that is if he and Lorelai develop a greater mutual respect and maybe even mild affection in the process.

I'm trying to stay optimistic, but based on the way AS-P wrote so much of S5 and S6, that can be a bit of a challenge :)  And I do think the amount of time that's elapsed presents a bigger challenge in structuring this revival than I had realized at first. For instance, if Luke and Lorlelai STILL haven't gotten their act together after all these years, it's likely to try the patience of even those who like the couple far more than I do. (Which is pretty much everyone, but still!) If Rory's love interests hadn't moved on within a year or two of the show ending, that might be easier to swallow, but are we really going to buy that they're pining after her NOW, after all these years?! (Again, we don't know that this is the case, but I'm just raising hypothetical scenarios here in an attempt to show why the fact that a decade has elapsed can present challenges.) How does AS-P show that the characters have grown and evolved without growing them right out of the flawed characters we remember fondly? How does AS-P recapture what we loved about the setting and overall feel of the show without leaving some feeling depressed that too much has remained static since we last entered that world? 

I'm sure that all this CAN be handled really skillfully...I just wonder if it will be :) Either way, it should be interesting to see how it all turns out. At this point I'm almost viewing the revival as an experiment that I'm curious about rather than something I expect to genuinely love, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised! 

Edited by amensisterfriend
(edited)
THIS. No triangle. That might be the thing that would really kill the revival for me. I don't need that nonsense.

To be fair, me wanting a GG revival without Rory triangle nonsense is like me walking into an ice cream shop and hoping that I'm not served anything sweet. I still live in hope, though.

But I have to admit that after reading MV's quotes I, too, wondered if Jess is there in large part to 'push' Luke and/or Lorelai out of yet another rough patch (do they ever have anything else?!)

I think you might be right. Rather than it being part of some sort of longer struggle between the two, though, maybe there's some sort of specific crisis in their relationship triggered by Richard's death. Traumatic or stressful events can cause problems in any relationship, even an otherwise healthy and stable one, and the death of a close family member is extremely stressful.

If Rory's love interests hadn't moved on within a year or two of the show ending, that might be easier to swallow, but are we really going to buy that they're pining after her NOW, after all these years?!

Depends. A mentally healthy person probably wouldn't be obsessed with someone they haven't interacted meaningfully with for 8+ years. Still, it's not unheard of for high school or college sweethearts to reconnect several years later with having had a number of relationships with other people in the intervening years; it doesn't mean that they were necessarily pining for the other the whole time, just that they reconnected at a different place in their lives without the issues that doomed their relationship the first time around mattering quite so much. 

...I wouldn't put it past ASP to have the guys all tell Rory that it's always been her and they've never loved anyone else, though. Gag.

How does AS-P show that the characters have grown and evolved without growing them right out of the flawed characters we remember fondly? How does AS-P recapture what we loved about the setting and overall feel of the show without leaving some feeling depressed that too much has remained static since we last entered that world?

Good questions. 

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 4

The only thing I'd like about that is if he and Lorelai develop a greater mutual respect and maybe even mild affection in the process.

This has been my fondest wish ever since Jess got his act together and encouraged Rory to go back to Yale. I would love some nice scenes with Lorelai and Jess, but I'm not holding my breath.

Still, it's not unheard of for high school or college sweethearts to reconnect several years later with having had a number of relationships with other people in the intervening years; it doesn't mean that they were necessarily pining for the other the whole time, just that they reconnected at a different place in their lives without the issues that doomed their relationship the first time around mattering quite so much.

I totally agree with this. I've known several people who didn't even date in high school, but met up again years later and ended up getting married. 

• Love 1

While it would be very immature for regular LADB hijinx to still occur with Colin, Finn, Logan, etc.  I don't think it would be strange for it to be an occasional thing.  Rory speculated in YJIJJ that it is funded by alumni of the organization. I think it would be similar to a fraternity that people remain occasionally active in after graduation. 

I am waiting to see how it all plays out. Though I become less excited about the possibilities the more I hear about the reunion.

It's sounding more and more like a "get every possible character back and damn a rational story line" revival to me.  I get less enthusiastic every time I read something like this.

• Love 2

What's the point of bringing back a character if it's not the original actor? That's the only reason people want to see those characters return.  I for one am still wondering about Asian guy from Luke's. the real star of the show ;-)

(edited)

I have to admit that I laughed when I saw the picture of recast Tristan. Not because he's a bad-looking guy or anything, but the idea of Tristan of all the characters being recast tickles me.

He does look like CMM, but for the life of me I can't think of why Tristan would be so important to bring back that they'd need to recast him if CMM couldn't do it.

Me, neither. It looks like there were scenes shot at a Chilton setting with Paris. Maybe that's where Tristan comes in.

It is going to be terribly disappointing if this revival is all about Rory and the men she left behind longing for her.

Tristan: Rory! Rory, there's something I need to tell you after all these years--

Rory: Oh God, not you, too.

Tristan: Wait, wait! I wrote a poem for this.

Rory: The line's right there, buddy, and Marty was ahead of you.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2
(edited)

Ha! At this point I'm half expecting the laundry room guy who rejected her tentative advance in S4 to pop back up in the revival. He'll have been pining for her all these years, his life ruined by the regret he carries at squandering the opportunity to meet her for that cup of coffee... :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 5

Allegedly this actor has been cast as a character named "Tristan"...

CdFAuesVAAEyFdr.jpg

Did they recast CMM? Is Tristan gonna be in the Chilton scenes? He does look like CMM a bit...

This is wonderful. I think he's going to be endgame for Rory. (Or at least in the running).

I have to admit that I laughed when I saw the picture of recast Tristan. Not because he's a bad-looking guy or anything, but the idea of Tristan of all the characters being recast tickles me.

Me, neither. It looks like there were scenes shot at a Chilton setting with Paris. Maybe that's where Tristan comes in.

Tristan: Rory! Rory, there's something I need to tell you after all these years--

Rory: Oh God, not you, too.

Tristan: Wait, wait! I wrote a poem for this.

Rory: The line's right there, buddy, and Marty was ahead of you.

I personally think he's going to endgame or at least considered for endgame.

This is wonderful. I think he's going to be endgame for Rory. (Or at least in the running).

Personally, I'd rank him as the LEAST likely to end up with Rory. She hasn't even had any contact with him since they were 16 years old, and even then they weren't exactly huge parts of each other's lives. My guess is that he'll just make a very quick appearance, but who knows?! 

• Love 3

Someone completely new named Tristan. Or it could be Tristan from Chilton. Because there are no more people on earth named Tristan. No one knows who this  guy is or if he's a recast. If he is Tristan because CMM couldn't do it good for him. 

Now here is something I never thought I would write -

But isn't this Tristan fellow kind of young to be a love interest for Rory? She's now in her early thirties. He looks several years younger.

Very easy on the eyes, certainly. But younger.

(edited)

There would be a certain level of humor in Amy writing Rory's endgame in a way that no fans were happy. Like, there is a dark part of me that would find Rory ending up with a recasted Tristan hilarious.

Oh, me too. I have a dark sense of humour. "Tristan" is only credited for Winter, although I suppose Rory could maintain an impassioned correspondence with him in the remaining episodes and get on a plane at the end of Fall to rush to his side offscreen, heh.

As for "Tristan," the actor is a little too good-looking to be Rory's love interest, I think, ears aside. Not that Rory's exes and such aren't good-looking, but they're cute, not male model material like this guy. The actor's previous credits include "Adonis" and "Handsome Man," is all I'm saying.

I will say that the actor is not too young to play the CMM Tristan. I found a 2014 article where the actor was stated to be 29, so he's probably 30 by now at least.

If "Tristan" winds up being that Tristan and is played by a guy who looks like that, no matter whom Rory winds up with, I guarantee that there will be a significant uptick in Rory/Tristan fanfic after the revival.

We now know that Brandon Ruiter has been cast as "Damon" from Fall (1x04), described as follows in the casting note (he kind of sounds like someone's assistant or junior):

DAMON. Male, early to mid 20s, super eager, together, good looking, stylish. (Will appear in mini series part 4.)
Edited by Eyes High
It looks like there were scenes shot at a Chilton setting with Paris. Maybe that's where Tristan comes in.

I think a short scene between Paris and Tristan could be interesting, given the crush she had on him through their school years.  She might get reacquainted and wonder what she ever saw in him (besides his looks, of course).

If that is really supposed to be Chilton Tristan, I'm surprised they couldn't get CMM back. Is he really that busy? I guess it would be fitting for ASP to have Tristan recast, though I wonder if the Tristan thing is just to confuse fans. The guy looks a little beefy to pass as the pretty boy Tristan I remember.

• Love 1

It is going to be terribly disappointing if this revival is all about Rory and the men she left behind longing for her.

It could be all about Rory being visited by ghosts of boyfriends past - each showing her how her life would have ended up had she chosen them.....

• Love 1