Type keyword(s) to search

Netflix Revival: Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

Let's hope he doesn't put up a sign banning pointlessly belligerent, depressing, bitter killjoys with anger management issues who regularly throw temper tantrums like toddlers and initially conceal long lost daughters from their fiances---he won't be able to enter his own establishment! 

I'm worried that the criteria Luke posted might rule out his own nephew---from what I've seen of Milo's recent hair, I wouldn't be shocked to see it in a ghastly man bun in the near future!  

I'm hoping Finn being around for more than a few minutes of one episode is an error. I may not be on the same page as most here when it comes to Luke and his relationship with Lorelai, but I'm so very with those who hope to see as little (read: NONE) of the Life and Death Brigade as possible. The only thing more annoying than having to watch a bunch of college kids acting like the LaDB did would be watching supposed ADULTS act like that. 

On the bright side...um...my beloved Paris is still back?! I'm trying to find stuff to get psyched about :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 4

I'm hoping Finn being around for more than a few minutes of one episode is an error. I may not be on the same page as most here when it comes to Luke and his relationship with Lorelai, but I'm so very with those who hope to see as little (read: NONE) of the Life and Death Brigade as possible.

Seriously, I hope the L&DB are going to be a very, very small part of the Revival. I don't know who ASP thinks is clamoring for them to make a comeback, because I haven't seen any of the fans express any excitement or curiosity over their inclusion. I'm much more excited about Rory possibly going back to Chilton for whatever reason they come up with.

• Love 3

On the bright side...um...my beloved Paris is still back?! I'm trying to find stuff to get psyched about :) 

Me, too. The prospect of Rory ending up with waste of space Logan and spending two episodes mixed up in LADB shenanigans, especially given that Rory, Logan and Finn would be 30ish around the time of the revival, is almost too depressing for words.

Speaking of depressing prospects, I'm hearing rumours that The X-Files revival, which was supposed to be a one-off miniseries, is going to be turned into an ongoing series due to the success of the miniseries. What's the over/under on the same happening with Gilmore Girls?

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2
The prospect of Rory ending up with waste of space Logan and spending two episodes mixed up in LADB shenanigans, especially given that Rory, Logan and Finn would be 30ish around the time of the revival, is almost too depressing for words.

Even as someone who occasionally enjoys Logan and was intrigued enough by the possibilities of a more mature Logan/Rory pairing to once write about it (I plead temporary insanity!), I neither want nor expect them to end up together. If Rory ends up with any of her former suitors, I'd expect it to be Jess.

Unless AS-P, who IMO allowed her love of old 'screwball  comedies' to influence GG in myriad ways to the show's benefit AND detriment, has just been rewatching His Girl Friday and has some vision of Rory and Logan working together on one of the newspapers he inherited from his father and eventually leaving a genuinely nice guy who adores her to get back together with him because...no, I won't allow myself to believe it :) Seriously, I just don't see Rory ending up with Logan for various reasons. I would ALMOST see AS-P putting Rory back together with a less bitter Dean over Logan. If I were a betting woman, I'd speculate in order of most likely to least likely that:

1) Rory ends up with Jess or at least in a way that leaves viewers with the strong impression that she WILL get back together with Jess in the near future 

2) Rory chooses to move forward without any of her past suitors, most/all of whom have hopefully found happiness through non-Rory-related channels by now anyway 

3) Rory ends up with Dean because AS-P still views him as 'the nice guy' and wants to prove they don't always finish last, and they settle into a life in SH a block or two away from Lorelai and Luke.

4) Rory ends up with Logan, and the Life and Death and Brigade make an appearance primarily to prove to us that Logan has now grown to the point where he no longer enjoys that lifestyle.

Personally, I think I'd prefer options 1 or 2 (though not necessarily in that order!), with options 3 and 4 both horrifying me to varying degrees :)  Mostly I'm just hoping there's far more focus on her relationships with Lorelai, Emily, Paris etc. and her career than on her love life! 

I really hope for option 2. Even though I have a few friends happily married many years later to their college sweethearts, I'm so tired of the "the One is someone you met as a teenager" trope in pop culture. Plus Rory and Logan's relationship was too much of a "screw-up/break up/make up" roller coaster for me to buy him as end game. 30 is just SO different from 20 for most people. However, I buy Rory running into Jess or Dean occasionally just due to being in Stars Hollow. I would hope that Logan/the LADB business would have something to do with Richard's death and position at Yale, although I don't know what.

ETA: it would be interesting if Logan, Colin and Finn had all grown up, gotten serious and had elements of the life Rory wants for herself - whatever that  be marriage or international travel or some kind of hugely responsible job. 

Edited by moonb
  • Love 3

Seriously, I hope the L&DB are going to be a very, very small part of the Revival. I don't know who ASP thinks is clamoring for them to make a comeback, because I haven't seen any of the fans express any excitement or curiosity over their inclusion. I'm much more excited about Rory possibly going back to Chilton for whatever reason they come up with.

*raises hand*  *goes into hiding*

But seriously, this isn't the thread for it but I could write essays about why I prefer Logan to any of the others. And I could write a whole other essay about why Jess is completely the wrong choice.

Anyway, this interview with Vanessa Marano hints (to me anyway) that Luke and Lorelai are together and now we know that April is out of school and thinking about grad school. Also, she learned something about April that she can't reveal yet...I'm hoping that it's revealed that April is a lesbian.

Edited by brightside
  • Love 5

*raises hand* *goes into hiding*

But seriously, this isn't the thread for it but I could writes essays about why I prefer Logan to any of the others.

Right there with ya, brightside! And I know a few people upthread (including me) were happy about seeing the LADB, so no need to hide. :-)

I always liked Logan, but I've really become a true fan of MC on The Good Wife. So a big part of my excitement at him being on the GG revival is watching him as a matured actor taking on a familiar role. I just hope ASP lets Logan mature as well (although I hope he's still cheerful, because I always thought he was a nice change from all of the other angst-ridden male characters).

I'd like to see Rory and Logan give it another shot, but I'm willing to let ASP try to convince me of her vision, whatever that may be. As long as it's not Dean; nothing against him, but I can't imagine him fitting into the life Rory had planned.

One thing about it, if MV isn't in "Fall", at least we can be assured of no last-minute "who will she pick?" stories. Cold comfort for Jess fans, I know, but I don't think anybody wants to see a triangle...

• Love 2
Anyway, this interview with Vanessa Marano hints (to me anyway) that Luke and Lorelai are together and now we know that April is out of school and thinking about grad school. Also, she learned something about April that she can't reveal yet...I'm hoping that it's revealed that April is a lesbian.

Yes, please! (I'm basically Homer here when it comes to LGBTQ representation on Gilmore Girls.)...Assuming ASP can write about April's sexual orientation in a non-obnoxious way.

Surely they won't put another Portuguese nanny with anybody but Paris.

Precisely. I'm convinced Tim and Gabriela are her children with Doyle; the ages match.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

Yes, please! (I'm basically Homer here when it comes to LGBTQ representation on Gilmore Girls.)...Assuming ASP can write about April's sexual orientation in a non-obnoxious way.

Ha! Me too! Honestly they have to do something about the LGBTQ and racial representation on this show for the revival. It's not 2000 anymore, they can't just do what they did before. I have to remind myself frequently when watching the show that gay marriage wasn't even legal anywhere in the US until somewhere around season 3 or 4. Attitudes were very different. But they'll get roasted if they keep things the same.

But I can't really think of what else she would have just found out about April. 

• Love 5

Ha! Me too! Honestly they have to do something about the LGBTQ and racial representation on this show for the revival. It's not 2000 anymore, they can't just do what they did before. I have to remind myself frequently when watching the show that gay marriage wasn't even legal anywhere in the US until somewhere around season 3 or 4. Attitudes were very different. But they'll get roasted if they keep things the same.

But I can't really think of what else she would have just found out about April. 

That she's pregnant...? I really hope not, but you never know with this show.

I vote lesbian. I agree about ASP needing to get with the diversity program in general. ABC Family currently airs a show with a lesbian couple as the parents (The Fosters); a show with a lesbian among the lead characters (Pretty Little Liars); and a show with several lead deaf characters featuring large chunks of dialogue conducted entirely in ASL, a show that just happens to star Vanessa Marano. If ASP stays with the same old same old in the revival, she'll be painfully behind the times.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2

*raises hand*  *goes into hiding*

But seriously, this isn't the thread for it but I could write essays about why I prefer Logan to any of the others. And I could write a whole other essay about why Jess is completely the wrong choice.

Don't get me wrong, I like Logan a lot. I thought he became Rory's most balanced and mature boyfriend. I just didn't care for the LADB and hope he isn't caught up too much in that foolishness anymore. He had grown up quite a bit by the end of the show and I'd hate to see any backsliding from him.

Totally agree with you on Jess as well, though I think if Rory ends up with any of her exes it will be him because of how much ASP and the majority of the fans seem to love the character. I'd prefer Rory alone or with someone new but I'm not holding my breath.

Michel is black. Lane is Korean-American. GG has always been plenty "diverse", though if people really want to see a gay character represented, Michel could come out of the closet.

There are several characters that could come out on the show and it wouldn't be too jarring. Michel, Gypsy, maybe Taylor as well. I do like the idea that April found herself in college and comes out to Luke and Lorelai, or better yet it is already well known and nobody bats an eye. I like that much better then April being pregnant.

• Love 3

A general question for you guys: Just how spoiled do you want to be?! If we had the opportunity to know virtually every detail, would you want to? Would you rather have basic bare bones information and remain unspoiled about most of the details? (I would offer 'no spoilers at all' as an option, only I figure that if you're in this thread, you're not averse to being spoiled at least a little bit!)  

Michel is black. Lane is Korean-American. GG has always been plenty "diverse", though if people really want to see a gay character represented, Michel could come out of the closet.

Film and TV shows for several decades have featured characters who are coded as stereotypically gay but who are deprived from having that confirmed onscreen and who are not able to have any kind of romantic relationships onscreen (either implied or explicit). There was nothing progressive about it 66 years ago, when All About Eve, a film with at least one character coded as gay whose orientation was not confirmed, was released. There's certainly nothing progressive about it now, where there are several mainstream shows being released with gay lead characters, several of whom are married to their partners (Modern Family, Brooklyn 99, etc.), and where the CW and ABC Family have several shows with LGBTQ lead or supporting characters who get to have romantic lives. There was nothing progressive about it even when GG aired, since Dawson's Creek, which started airing earlier on WB and ended earlier than GG did, had a lead character who came out and who dated men during the run of the show. Felicity, another WB show, had an openly gay supporting character who I believe married his partner in one of the season finales, and this was 15-odd years ago!

Again, there are no diversity cookies for having two POC, neither of which are the leads, in a sea of white people on GG (three if you count Mrs. Kim, who was not a lead but a supporting character, more if you count Gypsy and Miss Patty, played by POC actors); even 10 years ago, that was nothing to crow about, although there were a lot of lily-white shows airing on the WB 10-15 years ago. The shows (rightfully) winning diversity plaudits in 2016 have multiple lead POC characters (Brooklyn 99 has four out of seven lead POC characters), nonstereotypical depictions of POCs (an Asian bro is a romantic lead on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), or are built around a mostly POC cast (Jane the Virgin, Master of None, Fresh Off the Boat, etc.). Gilmore Girls was behind the times in 2007, but it's even more behind the times now. There's not that much that can be done about the lack of racial diversity in the returning cast for the revival, but having April, Michel, Taylor, etc. come out of the closet and have romantic lives of their own (and that last part is important) would be a start for LGBTQ representation.

ASP was crucified--rightfully, I think--for a lack of diversity on Bunheads. (She didn't even have the excuse of the town's location for the lack of diversity in the cast, since the fictional town was located in southern California of all places.) That was in 2012, and the world of TV has only become more diverse in the intervening years. Let's see if she learned anything from Bunheads or is doubling down.

The bulk of the casting notes that were leaked did not specify race for the characters. The exceptions were Paul (the character speculated to be Rory's boyfriend when the revival picks up), Tim and Gabriela (white, probably because they're Paris and Doyle's kids), and Stevie and Kwan (for obvious reasons). I'm side-eyeing Paul being specified to be white if he is Rory's boyfriend, continuing Rory's (and Lorelai's) unbroken streak of only dating white guys, but the casting note suggestion for the look of Paul (Michael Cera, an actor who gets cast as Jewish characters, and Jesse Eisenberg, a Jewish actor) makes me think that Paul is supposed to be Jewish. There are also three characters, Clementina, Alejandro and Berta, who will be played by POC. Clementina seems to be a one-off, but Alejandro and Berta will have a more prominent role, hopefully.

A general question for you guys: Just how spoiled do you want to be?! If we had the opportunity to know virtually every detail, would you want to? Would you rather have basic bare bones information and remain unspoiled about most of the details? (I would offer 'no spoilers at all' as an option, only I figure that if you're in this thread, you're not averse to being spoiled at least a little bit!)

Give me all the spoilers. All the spoilers. I don't even care. Game of Thrones broke me of whatever aversion I ever had to spoilers. Bring it on.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 5

How spoiled would I be willing to go?

You could send me the scripts, show me daily rushes (do they even call them that?) and I would still enthusiastically watch the released episodes.

Pretty much the only spoiler that would turn me off is if ASP makes Luke call Lorelai 'Lore.' Lol

My obsession has few boundaries. :)

• Love 1

Because it's a revival, I think the diversity issue is a hard one to address. JMO, but I want the bulk of air time to be spent on the characters I already know and love. Bringing on a bunch of POC characters would be great for diversity, and it's regrettable that it didn't happen during the original run, but at this point I don't want precious, limited screen time used on new people.

That's why I can't get excited about Sutton Foster joining, either. We have 12,748 returning characters to service, why bring in another name actress?

• Love 7

I appreciated the diverse diversity of GG. The black man was snooty and French, the Korean family was fundamentalist Christian (with the Korean American girl being a proto-hipster), the Puerto Rican woman was a showbiz veteran who taught ballet -- all very specific and non-cliched characterizations. I had never seen any of these character types on screen before GG. One Michel was worth three shouty African-American police captains.

Anyway, ASP needs only to live up to her own previous high standards regarding "diversity" with this new Netflix continuation, and has nothing to "fix".

• Love 4

I mean, there have been a lot of articles over the years about the show's lack of diversity. There are roughly 20 speaking roles for people of color out of over 300 speaking roles in the 7 years of the show. That's around 6%. In terms of people featured in the opening credits, they're at about 1.5%. And they can't use the "Oh we're in Connecticut" excuse because Connecticut was 33% POC in 2000. And there was no LGBTQ representation.

EDIT: This is not to mention Yale, which is only about 47% white. 

As for how spoiled I want to be, I think the only big spoiler I would want is if Rory ends up with Jess. If that happens, I'll need to...prepare myself. 

Edited by brightside
  • Love 4
Anyway, ASP needs only to live up to her own previous high standards regarding "diversity" with this new Netflix continuation, and has nothing to "fix".

If Bunheads and GG showed anything, it's not just that ASP does not have high standards regarding diversity, it's that her standards are nonexistent. Bunheads showed that she was writing and casting shows as if it was 1985. Let's see if she learned anything.

I appreciated the diverse diversity of GG. The black man was snooty and French, the Korean family was fundamentalist Christian (with the Korean American girl being a proto-hipster), the Puerto Rican woman was a showbiz veteran who taught ballet -- all very specific and non-cliched characterizations.

First of all, the specific examples you picked were extremely cliched in terms of representation of minorities. Miss Patty was very dramatic and oversexed, and hypersexual portrayals of Latina characters are stereotypical and a big problem. Mrs. Kim was a stereotypical strict immigrant parent. Worst of all was Michel. Michel was a witty, bitchy Frenchman, hardly a novel character type. He's also a bitchy character coded as gay without much else going on in his life, and sadly, stereotypical bitchy gay characters with no romantic lives of their own, especially token POC ones, are no stranger to TV; that had been the only role gay characters in film and TV could occupy for a long time (see also Addison DeWitt in All About Eve, a 1950 movie, another elegant, bitchy character coded as gay). His characterization was pretty much that he was bitchy, witty, and coded as gay, which is the opposite of "specific and non-cliched." Elegant, bitchy queen characters used to be a dime a dozen on film and TV for many, many years. Fortunately, TV is starting is acknowledge that gay men are as diverse as straight men; we've had restrained, robotic police captain gay characters, schlubby and unfashionable frat boy gay characters, ex-football player gay characters, etc.

Furthermore, all these characters were supporting characters, not leads (even Michel, who's credited for all 154 episodes). As I said, you don't get any diversity cookies for throwing in the odd POC in a sea of white people. The leads, their relatives, most of their friends (Sookie, Paris, Jackson, etc.), and their love interests were all white. The minor roles and one-off guest roles were almost all played by white actors. That wasn't good enough for 2000, where a number of popular shows had multiracial casts with non-stereotypical characters, and it's certainly not good enough now.

As brightside indicated, there have been many articles over the years about GG's lack of diversity. Many of those articles were being written while GG was still airing, which suggests that even 10 years ago, people took issue with it, and TV's become much more diverse in the intervening 10 years.

I had never seen any of these character types on screen before GG. One Michel was worth three shouty African-American police captains.

Funny you should mention that, because the "African-American police captain" in a show praised for its diversity (Brooklyn 99) is not only not shouty, he's also gay and married. Suggesting that the only choices are a gay-coded, stereotypical bitchy character with no romantic life whose only role on the show is to deliver nasty, withering remarks, which is hardly novel or unstereotypical, and "shouty African-American police captains" suggests a lack of understanding of the sort of interesting stories about diverse characters that are being told on TV not only now, but also 10-15 years ago when GG was airing.

As for how spoiled I want to be, I think the only big spoiler I would want is if Rory ends up with Jess. If that happens, I'll need to...prepare myself.

If IMDB is to be believed, the absence of MV from the last episode and the presence of Finn in the last two episodes suggests that it's going to be Rory/Logan if it's going to be anyone.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 3

If IMDB is to be believed, the absence of MV from the last episode and the presence of Finn in the last two episodes suggests that it's going to be Rory/Logan if it's going to be anyone.

While I think Finn's listing is to be believed (that actor even tweeted out a link to his page), the person who updated Milo's listing said they just picked the first 3 episodes. You have to choose specific episodes to update a cast listing on IMDB, and they knew Milo was in 3 episodes so they just picked the first 3. 

Edited by brightside
  • Love 2

Color me confused. I thought POC referred to People of Color but does it mean something else in these posts?  Mrs. Kim, Miss Patty, and Gypsy were all referenced as examples of POC so I'm thinking it must mean something else.  Can someone enlighten me on this?

I wouldn't mind spoilers so I can be prepared.  If the Brigade shows up, I'll skip the revival thank you very much.  Ditto if Rory is married to ANY of the old beaus.

Edited by Kohola3

Because it's a revival, I think the diversity issue is a hard one to address. JMO, but I want the bulk of air time to be spent on the characters I already know and love. Bringing on a bunch of POC characters would be great for diversity, and it's regrettable that it didn't happen during the original run, but at this point I don't want precious, limited screen time used on new people.

I don't disagree with this. I don't want new characters to crowd out the established ones. But having read the casting calls there is no reason why some of the new characters couldn't be filled by other then white actors. For instance, the young "Michael Cera" type that has been speculated to be Rory's early on love interest or the middle age gentleman that could be her boss could easily not be white and be believable.  No need to bring in a ton of new characters to fill diversity quotas, they could just be a little more open minded in casting the few new characters that will appear.

As for the spoilers I wouldn't mind knowing beforehand...if Lorelai and Luke are together, if L&L are together but will have their complications yet again, or if Rory is going to be in any love triangles with her exes or otherwise.  Those are the main things that I'm concerned that might happen and I want to be prepared to slog through any storylines I might not really care for.

• Love 2

Color me confused. I thought POC referred to People of Color but does it mean something else in these posts?  Mrs. Kim, Miss Patty, and Gypsy were all referenced as examples of POC so I'm thinking it must mean something else.  Can someone enlighten me on this?

It does mean People of Color. Emily Kuroda, Liz Torres and Rose Abdoo are all people of color. 

• Love 3

I don't want to know plot stuff.

I'm here to get excited as each set pic is posted and to confirm actors A, B and C are involved.

But I don't want to know plot.

I'm probably going to have to get the heck out of here pretty soon...

Is Ms. Patty back?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1

I don't disagree with this. I don't want new characters to crowd out the established ones. But having read the casting calls there is no reason why some of the new characters couldn't be filled by other then white actors. For instance, the young "Michael Cera" type that has been speculated to be Rory's early on love interest or the middle age gentleman that could be her boss could easily not be white and be believable.  No need to bring in a ton of new characters to fill diversity quotas, they could just be a little more open minded in casting the few new characters that will appear.

My thoughts exactly.

Luke/Lorelai still being together: Luke's truck is parked next to the Gilmore house in one of the many set photographs. I think Vanessa Marano has also commented about April not breaking anyone up in the revival. It seems as if all signs are that Luke and Lorelai are still a couple in the revival. The only sticking point is that Luke's apartment set has been rebuilt, which presumably he wouldn't need if he's living with Lorelai, but maybe Jess is using it. He's in three out of four episodes in the revival, suggesting he's in SH for some of the time (since Rory wouldn't be going to Philadelphia in three out of four episodes), and he's going to need somewhere to crash.

As for Rory's beaus, let's do some sleuthing!

1. MV is in three episodes, but we don't know which three. JP likely has a small role, since he mentioned filming GG in one of his videos that made it sound as if he'd only be filming for a week on his trip to LA for filming (he could go back for subsequent filming, though, I suppose). No idea how many episodes MC is in, BUT Finn's actor is credited for what I'm going to call 1x03 and 1x04 (the last two).

2. The script photographed by MV was for an episode penned by Daniel Palladino. As someone else astutely observed, this episode is unlikely to be 1x01 or 1x04, since ASP would likely write those. It is almost certainly not 1x04, in any event.

3. MV's script listed MC among the cast. So MV and MC appear in the same episode at least once.

4. The cast list in MV's script appears to have seven major characters listed first (the order seems to be LG/AB/SP/[X]/[X]/[X]/MC, and we can guess two of the blanks to be MV and KF), followed by a space, followed by a list of the minor characters (Babette, Miss Patty, Taylor, Gypsy, Sutton Foster's character, etc.). The major character list cannot be made out in its entirety (we can see MC, AB, and SP's names), but the minor character list does not appear to list Doyle (Danny Strong), any of Hep Alien, or Mrs. Kim.

5. It kind of sounds as if Danny Strong has already finished filming, judging from this interview posted yesterday on Vulture:

“I was so happy to see Liza again, and it was as if no time had passed,” Strong said. “Liza and I were joking around, literally, as if we had been shooting the day before, that it hadn’t been ten years. And she’s just hilarious, so we had a blast.”

And there’s the rest of the cast. “Alexis [bledel]  is as sweet as ever, Lauren Graham I loved seeing, and [creators] Amy Sherman-Palladino and Dan Palladino. I really adore them, so it was awesome to get to work together. And Dan directed the episode, and he had never directed me when I was on the show back in the day, so it was awesome to work with him in that capacity.”

6. If Danny Strong is only filming in one episode, and that episode was directed by Daniel Palladino, that episode was also likely written by DP, since when he directed during GG's run he directed the episodes that he'd written.

7. Paris is appearing in 1x02 for sure, and maybe more episodes. I'm not sure where I heard this, but it aligns with the casting notes calling for a Portuguese nanny and children who are likely Paris and Doyle's in 1x02.

8. Stevie and Kwan, Lane's twins, appear in 1x01 and 1x04. It seems likely that these are episodes featuring Team Lane (Mrs. Kim, Zach, etc.).

9. MV was asked about the possibility of a Logan/Jess confrontation, and he said that he didn't know the answer, because he had "only read up to a certain point."

10. MV placed his pen over the script page in a way that appeared to obscure the title, something I doubt he would have done if the episode in question were 1x01.

Putting that all together, it sounds like MV's script photographed is 1x03: no Doyle (so not 1x02), not 1x01 (no one on Team Lane on the cast list), and written by Daniel Palladino (so not 1x04). The only problem is that Finn is supposed to appear in 1x03, and Tanc Sade is not one of the names listed. I guess he could be further down the page, as a more minor character, but it does present a problem for this theory.

So extrapolating from that...assuming that MV is telling the truth about not having read far enough ahead to know about whether Logan and Jess have a confrontation, and assuming that he photographed his script for 1x03, and assuming that he read that script already when he made the comment to TV Line about having only read up to a certain point...it sounds like Jess is in 1x04 after all.

It also seems like a fair assumption that Logan is in 1x04, given Finn appearing in 1x04 so...brace yourself for triangle nonsense, I guess is what I'm saying.

Also, JP is likely only appearing in one episode, but it seems unlikely that MV's script is the one where he appears. We can assume that the IMDB crediting him as 1x01 like with all the other confirmed returning characters is fake, but I wouldn't be surprised if his episode were 1x01. It would be a lot, even in a 90-minute episode, for Rory to be dealing with three of her former boyfriends at once. Better to separate them out: Dean in 1x01, Logan and Jess in the back three. I also imagine that MV's episodes will be a block of back to back episodes, rather than have him show up and then sit out a 90-minute stretch, which would point to either the first three or the last three. For the reasons I've mentioned, the last three sounds like a more likely option, especially given that Rory will likely have a boyfriend in 1x01 (Paul).

Given the foregoing, it looks as if Doyle is only in one episode (1x02), and that that episode was written and directed by Daniel Palladino. The same episode will feature two white kids younger than 8 and their Portuguese nanny, as well as Liza Weil, so it fits.

We also know that ASP when she was on GG always wrote the season premieres by herself and for several seasons directed them herself. It stands to reason that 1x01 will also be written and directed by her.

So we can put together what I think is a tentative writers' schedule: 1x01 by ASP, 1x02 by DP, 1x03 by DP, and 1x04 by ASP.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 5

Well he's older now, so I would think that would be required!  More seriously though, I think Luke has always had curmudgeonly-style rules for Luke's, so I wouldn't take the new ones as a sign of anything.

If ASP follows season 7 as she said she would, the show portrayed that fatherhood softened Luke and he was actually friendly. I know she said she didn't watch the season. Myself, I don't believe it. I think her pride won't allow her admit it.

OT question - as someone who hasn't used Netflix since I got DVDs in the mail, can I record streaming shows if I subscribe? I own all 7 seasons on DVD, so if it comes out I'll buy it, but just asking. I have my favorite episodes recorded - no idea why, since I already have the DVDs. Can you tell I love GG?

This is one of the most cliche stereotypes out there.

With the mother being the most impossible and wouldn't change her attitude and no one once told her: "Shut the hell up!" I've said it before, I hated when they had Mrs. Kim yelling at people to either buy something or get out. Or yelling at them and she had the perfect plan for her daughter. Those were moments that made me cringe. Despite when they had her interacting with other characters about their parenting skills or town events. Those were scene I enjoyed with Mrs. Kim or when she finally started working with Hep Alien with their booking deals and other things. Plus, being supported of her daughter's marriage to Zach and being pregnant. I enjoyed the final few seasons of Mrs. Kim instead of the cliche super bitch Christian Business owner they had her in early seasons. I just wanted smack her though when it was revealed she had been hiding her life from her own mother. Who was a traditional Korean Buddhist. Lane and Zach saw it, but neither went: "She's a hypocrite!" Which would be another cliche on its own.

I've said it before, I hated when they had Mrs. Kim yelling at people to either buy something or get out.

The idea that people ostensibly in the business of pleasing customers act like rude, aggressive jerks to them is kind of a recurring theme on the show, and not just limited to Mrs. Kim. Luke, Michel, Gypsy, Taylor, Paris (when she tutored people) etc. all fit into that same category. 

Anyway, back on topic, I have to sadly agree with the speculation that it sounds like we're going to get some love triangle (love square...?!) drama for Rory. Maybe Dean, Jess and Logan will unexpectedly bond along the way...? I don't even necessarily want to see much of it, but that sounds far preferable to me than watching them all compete for the 'prize' known as Rory even after all these years have elapsed. 

The good news for L/L shippers is that pretty much everything points to them being together. I just hope we see more joy, connection and affection (and fewer conflicts and communication lapses) this time around! 

I guess I've lived a sheltered TV-viewing life, and thus missed all those many, many shows that featured Korean fundamentalist Christians. Had no idea that ASP was perpetuating a cliche.

Likewise, I had naively believed that giving the stereotype of the snooty Frenchman a twist by making the Frenchman black was interesting and, well, diverse. Apparently, the points Michel gains by being French and black he loses by being bitchy and gay -- if indeed his is gay.

About the Lorelai and Luke dynamic -- their relationship will have to have some dramatic conflict to resolve, no? Otherwise all the drama will fall upon Rory's choice of boyfriend.

Is Luke still running the diner, as well as helping Lorlai run the inn in the absence of Sookie? Maybe there is some conflict to be found there.

• Love 3
About the Lorelai and Luke dynamic -- their relationship will have to have some dramatic conflict to resolve, no?

No. They can face various external conflicts together rather than having yet more issues with one another. That's one thing that most L/L shippers AND non-L/L shippers I know are hoping for! 

Oh and Rune. It would be hilarious if he cameo'd as paired with an extremely tall brunette woman.

Ha! As someone who's watched Double Date a million or so times, that would automatically be one of the highlights of the entire revival for me :) 

This thread probably isn't the best place to continue the diversity topic, but I will say that a show that was 94% white and 0% LGBT has no claims to diversity at all. 

I have a question--ASP said in her interview with Ausiello "So the pilot started where all three women were at a change in their lives. And it felt like, well that’s where we need to start [the revival]." What do you think the big changes will be for the girls? We know that Emily's is losing Richard, but what do you think the changes are for Lorelai and Rory? 

• Love 2

I'm hoping the change for Rory involves her career rather than her relationship status, but I have a feeling she'll be newly single---JUST in time to encounter her former beaus :) 

As for Lorelai...maybe a pregnancy? (I know a 47 year old who recently became pregnant, so it's possible, especially in the pregnancy-prone GG universe!) Maybe she sold the inn and is about to try out a new type of job...? We know that the change doesn't involve her choice of vehicle...she's still driving that jeep! 

• Love 2

I'm hoping the change for Rory involves her career rather than her relationship status, but I have a feeling she'll be newly single---JUST in time to encounter her former beaus :) 

Man. Rory's exes make me nervous. I know most of the fandom is gunning for Jess, but if he's still pining for her after all this time...yikes. Do not want. 

I was wondering if Lorelai's change might involve a baby or something like that. 

I have a question--ASP said in her interview with Ausiello "So the pilot started where all three women were at a change in their lives. And it felt like, well that’s where we need to start [the revival]." What do you think the big changes will be for the girls? We know that Emily's is losing Richard, but what do you think the changes are for Lorelai and Rory? 

I agree about Emily. For Rory, we know that there's a Paul, described as a good boyfriend in the casting notes, who's only cast for the first episode, so you can draw your own conclusions about whether Rory's in a relationship when the revival picks up again and whether that relationship lasts. I'm also guessing that there's some sort of career crisis for her. This "Jim" character who's the editor at that GQ-type magazine mentioned in the casting notes seems like the sort of thing that could involve Rory. (Could also be the way she runs into Logan again, now that I think of it.)

As for Lorelai? I don't know. Could be a pregnancy, I guess. I would be okay with that, provided the writers pointed out that this was very unusual and a high-risk pregnancy. Can you imagine Lorelai on enforced bed rest? What's more likely, I think, is either some sort of career crossroads--expanding or franchising the inn--or something related to negotiating her relationship with Emily after Richard's death.

• Love 2

Maybe Lorelai is dealing with Sookie leaving on her world tour and being sole owner of the Dragonfly. They're going to have to explain her absence somehow, since Jackson will apparently still be around.

What if Lorelai has another daughter now. She is busying being the sole owner of the Dragonfly. Balancing the death of her father, her new little girl he demands her attention and her daughter back on her doorstep. That would be an upheaval for sure. Lorelai might have Luke, but he is busy running the dinner all the time and then comes home from work tired and she gets no breaks. I don't know, could be interesting.

• Love 1

What if Lorelai has another daughter now. She is busying being the sole owner of the Dragonfly. Balancing the death of her father, her new little girl he demands her attention and her daughter back on her doorstep. That would be an upheaval for sure. Lorelai might have Luke, but he is busy running the dinner all the time and then comes home from work tired and she gets no breaks. I don't know, could be interesting.

I tend to doubt Lorelai already has another child by the time of the revival, for a few reasons. First of all, there was no mention of a child who could be Lorelai's kid in the casting notes. The casting notes might not have been exhaustive, but they did include calls for Tim, Gabriela, Stevie and Kwan. Second of all, the set pictures of the Gilmore house had Lorelai's (and Luke's, I assume) bedroom and Rory's bedroom, and the latter didn't look as if it had been repurposed for a young child. Moreover, the bedroom had pictures of Rory and Lorelai, but no pictures of a young child.

I'm not ruling it out--we don't have enough information yet--but it seems unlikely.

Given the picture Liza Weil posted on Instagram of her own feet and the feet of a girl dressed in a Chilton uniform, and assuming Paris only appears in 1x02, can we extrapolate that the Chilton visit is in episode 2?

Liza Weil posted a picture of herself with Doyle wearing a fancy white blazer and another picture of her own legs and feet wearing stylish black trousers and black heels. What are we thinking Paris is doing at Chilton? Alumni event is the most obvious one (and it would explain why Rory is presumably there as well). I've also seen speculation that Paris is now a teacher at Chilton, but that seems unlikely to me.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Paris and Doyle are only appearing in one episode--it sounds as if Doyle is only in one episode for sure, I'm less certain about Paris--due to Liza Weil and Danny Strong's work schedules. With that said, I think filming has already wrapped on Season 2 for HTGAWM, so Liza Weil should be free for further filming. I doubt the same is true of Danny Strong, though, given his creative role on Empire.

It would make sense if Paris doesn't have a big role in the revival. Assuming that Paris is the hard-charging career lady she's always been and that she's now a mom as well, she wouldn't have much occasion to spend a lot of time with Rory, and it's realistic that they would drift apart after graduating from Yale. #DebbieDowner

As for Logan, Julianna Margulies has said she's unemployed as of April (not sure when in April), meaning that MC should have availability for a good chunk of filming time in May and possibly in April. I suppose if his character is killed off or exits earlier he'd be available sooner.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

I would be super surprised if Lorelai & Luke have more kids in the revival. Yes both wanted kids with each other in Season 5/6, (although neither expressed such a desire to the other), but that was before April arrived out of nowhere.

I think if LL did get back together/stay together since 7.22 they would have taken things very slowly and decided 1) not to "throw another sucker in there" or 2) by the time they felt their relationship was strong enough to handle a baby, it was too late for them biologically.

And I can see April being enough of the children department for Luke. I think he would have liked to really know her before having a second child.

Also from a narrative point of view, I think it's very difficult to add a new main character (a LL child) into the mix of well established lead players without any background or build up. I think it would feel forced.

• Love 1