Type keyword(s) to search

Netflix Revival: Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

My worst nightmare - the LDB assholes get together to throw Logan a bachelor party before he marries Rory.  Gag.

No. Just. No. I can't imagine that ASP would have Rory end up with any of the three exes. She must have really enjoyed those guys to bring them back or she needs filler. If they are still as obnoxious as they were in college, I may have to pass on watching those episodes, or at least the parts with them.

• Love 1

Robert? They're bringing back Robert?!? Ugh.

My sentiments exactly.  I loved Logan, liked the LADB (the stunts) and Finn, and tolerated Colin.  But Robert was just so dull and joyless.  No offense to the actor, but I hope his role is very small.

• Love 2

I find it interesting that ASP seems to be bringing back everyone that was attached to Logan in one way or the other. To which I say "Why? Why why why why?!" I like Logan but I just don't care about most of the secondary characters he brought to the show. I'd rather see more of Kirk, Lane's twins, or Patty and Babette then waste precious background time on Logan's cronies.

(edited)

I am one of those people who really enjoyed the LADB. People who had fun using real science and math. I never blamed Logan for wanting to extend his college days and have fun. For when people like those at Yale with their level of smarts and education go serious. It becomes a life style for the rest of their lives.

Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 2

For me, not all of the LaDB crew are equally loathsome :) I enjoyed Logan and Logan/Rory at certain points of the series and think he was important enough to the show to make a reappearance. Finn is a harmless idiot who I was occasionally amused by but mostly indifferent to or annoyed by. But I absolutely *hate* Colin and Robert and am somewhat dreading having to see them back on my screens. Here's hoping those two take another drunken dive off a cliff and don't reemerge this time :) 

• Love 1

I really don't want Rory marrying Logan or getting back together with him, so I really hope this isn't a bachelor party. I love the LDB together in scenes as a group, but I hated Rory with them and Rory's change of personality when she got with Logan. 

I liked LBD during that time period more than Rory and especially Rory/Logan.

I've come around to the idea that Logan's and Rory's relationship ended so abruptly that it felt unfinished. She did tell him that she liked the idea of marrying him but the timing wasn't right. While I really don't feel that they will marry, they did seem to have a healthy sex life and loved each other, I can see them reconnecting and maybe even hooking up for a brief time. 

I don't see the need for the LDB idiots to return. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I just read wild speculation somewhere on "Bustle" that I'm pretty sure is off base but which I thought was interesting enough to share: While we know that Rory is single to start the revival, how do we know that isn't because she's recently separated/divorced from one of her exes---most likely Logan? Let's say they did get married (or even engaged and then broken up again) since we last saw them and that Rory's big decision revolves around whether to get back together with him? Logan trying to 'win her back', as he often did through S5-S7, could explain why he's around a lot rather than just happening to cross paths with her again after all these years. Milo's cryptic comments about Jess being there in part to push people in certain directions could allude to his presence helping Rory realize that she should (or, more likely, shouldn't!) try again with Logan. I don't really want to see any of this, by the way, but I'd never considered the idea that Rory had been married or even engaged since we last saw her and found it an interesting spin on what we know! 

Oh, and I also saw (equally baseless!) speculation on Bustle that Luke could be the possible new chef at the inn now that we know Sookie won't be there. I have no idea what that would mean for the diner or whether Luke and Lorelai working together would make for a compelling change in their dynamic, (which I'm still assuming is that they're in a committed relationship and likely married, though who knows?!), but it's mildly interesting speculation nonetheless :) 

My own random speculation based on absolutely NOTHING: I'm banking on a 'dream sequence' like we got a few times during the show where Rory imagines what her life would be like/would have been like with Dean, Logan and Jess. She dreams of herself as a "townie" with Dean, in New York/Philly with Jess, in CT with Logan...etc. :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 1

My own random speculation based on absolutely NOTHING: I'm banking on a 'dream sequence' like we got a few times during the show where Rory imagines what her life would be like/would have been like with Dean, Logan and Jess. She dreams of herself as a "townie" with Dean, in New York/Philly with Jess, in CT with Logan...etc. :)

I don't know about full on dream sequences, but I definitely feel like all three guys coming back into Rory's life will be impetus for her to think about the "could of beens". Does she miss the small town life (Dean)? Would she rather be the underground hipster (Jess) or the WASPy successful type (Logan)? They wouldn't even have to go romantic to make it work, imo.

• Love 1
(edited)

The Gilmore Girls fan Reddit (r/gilmoregirls) has a really good rundown of returning cast members and other information about the revival, with some information I hadn't seen anywhere else.

First up is Mark Provencher, who's been cast as "Phil." Little Olivia Jellen has been cast as "Phil's Kid #2."

Following up on this earlier post, gilmorenews.com posted that actress Lisa Marie announced on Instagram that she would be playing Olivia Jellen's character's mom in the revival. She seems to have deleted the Instagram post, though.

Gilmorenews.com also announced that Finn, Colin and Robert's actors' first day of filming was yesterday, which lines up with all three posting on social media about their roles in the last week or so. Stands to reason MC would be around as well. He was spotted filming TGW last Thursday, but there's nothing to say he hasn't flown out to California for filming this week.

On that note, here was this picture posted on the Gilmore Girls TV instagram of MV, LW and SP posing in what may have been their costumes (although with MV, you can't really tell, heh, and although SP was conspicuously hatless, and although LW was wearing some sort of sparkly gold pajama pants that seemed decidedly un-Parislike). You can see MC who also appears to be in costume, wearing a natty shirt and tie combo, in the background.

It seems weird that MV carefully concealed the episode title on the script he photographed (even though we now know it wasn't 1x04), while Finn's actor merrily posted a picture of his 1x04 script showing that it was 1x04.

Someone posted a picture on set from the spring festival that happens, in, well, "Spring" (1x02). I saw it on Tumblr.

Edited by Eyes High
(edited)

On that note, here was this picture posted on the Gilmore Girls TV instagram of MV, LW and SP posing in what may have been their costumes (although with MV, you can't really tell, heh, and although SP was conspicuously hatless, and although LW was wearing some sort of sparkly gold pajama pants that seemed decidedly un-Parislike). You can see MC who also appears to be in costume, wearing a natty shirt and tie combo, in the background.

If I am not mistaken this photo is from the Reunion in June. 

Edited by SiobhanJW
  • Love 1
although with MV, you can't really tell, heh,

I know, right?! I gather that MV is into the same indie/punk/etc. stuff as Jess, because their wardrobes are pretty much identical! I'm a little wary of his hair, which always has the potential to be either semi-adorable or gross to me. 

Gilmorenews.com also announced that Finn, Colin and Robert's actors' first day of filming was yesterday, which lines up with all three posting on social media about their roles in the last week or so. Stands to reason MC would be around as well. He was spotted filming TGW last Thursday, but there's nothing to say he hasn't flown out to California for filming this week.

Based on Nick Holmes picture it was a table read, not filming. Matt could have done it over the phone from New York--Kelly did that for at least 1 read, I think. 

I think worrying about some people getting too much screen time is just a way to make ourselves anxious. I'm part of the team that enjoys the LDB and Logan so I'm not worried about them, but I'd rather not see April or Jess a ton. But these 4 episodes are the time equivalent of about nine regular episodes. So even if someone is in all four that doesn't mean they're going to eat up a ton of time. For example, Dean was in 8 out of 9 of the first 9 episodes of season 5, but I wouldn't say he spent a ton of time on screen or anything. Plus, more time is passing in each episode, so it's easier for people to come in and out.

If I am not mistaken this photo is from the Reunion in June. 

Yup, that's from ATX. They're wearing the same things they wore on the red carpet there and you can see Matt in the background.

(edited)

My worst nightmare - the LDB assholes get together to throw Logan a bachelor party before he marries Rory.  Gag.

A thousand times this.  I was all excited when I heard that MV was back but seeing how the entire LDB is back for the last episode, I am now a bit afraid. Especially once I remembered that ASP was still in charge in Season 6 when Rory chose Logan over Jess.  And while Rory made up with Lorelei and went back to Yale, she forgave Logan for sleeping with the bridesmaids and being a gigantic ass and went back to him.  That was all ASP so.....     

Edited by sunflower12
  • Love 2

So if Rory ends up with a former flame, Logan is the only acceptable one. I wouldn't even mind a little LaDB action, but I really didn't like Robert. And I don't want LaDB to dominate.

First up is Mark Provencher, who's been cast as "Phil." Little Olivia Jellen has been cast as "Phil's Kid #2."

OK, I give up.  Who the hell is Phil?  Is this going to become mishmash of bit players (think LDB) and a bunch of new bit players that mean nothing?

It's looking less and less like something I am going to enjoy.  

OK, I give up.  Who the hell is Phil?  Is this going to become mishmash of bit players (think LDB) and a bunch of new bit players that mean nothing?

It's looking less and less like something I am going to enjoy.  

Except all but 2 of the available original characters are returning, really. Clearly there will be plenty of time spent on townies and such. Any honestly if after 9 years they didn't had anyone new in their lives, I'd hate that. Rory will need people like coworkers. The Inn will need guests. Of course they're casting new roles. 

Again, I think worrying about some people getting too much screen time is just a way to make ourselves anxious and is completely unfounded. These 4 episodes equal nine regular episodes. And even if someone is in all four that doesn't mean they're going to be featured or even get a storyline. 

Just because the LDB is in an episode doesn't mean the episode is about them or even that Rory's storyline is about them. Same for April, Jess, townies, everybody. These are long episodes and more time will be passing in them than we're used to--it would be really easy for people to only be in a scene or two.

• Love 2

"My worst nightmare - the LDB assholes get together to throw Logan a bachelor party before he marries Rory. Gag."

I can't believe I'm saying this but if this happened it might make the reunion unwatchable for me.

• Love 3

"My worst nightmare - the LDB assholes get together to throw Logan a bachelor party before he marries Rory. Gag."

I can't believe I'm saying this but if this happened it might make the reunion unwatchable for me.

I highly doubt we'll see Rory get engaged/married--to anyone. We know she's with someone else in "Winter" and that he doesn't last long. That means she'd have to reconnect with an ex or meet someone new, date them, have him propose, say yes, and then plan the wedding-related activities in less than a year. 

• Love 3
(edited)

There's also a pic of one of the kids with Sutton, who is on set. They've been filming the Spring International Food Festival (?) episode in the town square, meaning Sutton is definitely in episode 2 (Spring).

Not really--these pics are from a week ago, and they were filming the festival today.

Edited by brightside

she'd have to reconnect with an ex or meet someone new, date them, have him propose, say yes, and then plan the wedding-related activities in less than a year

Well, there is precedent for this in the show.  What you have described sounds very much like the relationship of Lorelai and Max. Absent an actual wedding, of course.

I am freaking out looking at those pics - this is awesome!!! It's so great seeing all the townies! I'm so glad Liz Torres is back as Ms Patty :) Is this really happening??!

*pinching myself*

(edited)
Edit: I'm guessing these boys are Steve and Kwan?

Stevie and Kwan are appearing in 1x01 and 1x04, "Winter" and "Fall." Assuming they're in costume, the twins' attire in the shots--T-shirts, tank tops, short sleeved shirts--doesn't exactly scream either winter or fall. (Neither do Lorelai and Rory's getups.) Also, without knowing their ages, these boys seem a little old to be playing 9-year-olds. Also, Hunter Wenzel posted a selfie of Sutton Foster and himself (presumably in costume), and we know the following:

1. Sutton Foster is only appearing in one episode.

2. Her episode is the episode for which MV posted the first page of the script.

3. Her episode is written by Daniel Palladino (as indicated by MV's photo).

4. Sutton Foster is not in 1x04, since we know that ASP wrote that episode.

So that means either the writers did some rewrites to put Stevie and Kwan in 1x02 and/or 1x03, or that these actors are playing other characters.

With all that said, it would make sense if they were playing Stevie and Kwan. Who else could they be?

As for the selfies with Alexis Bledel...wow, I was not prepared for Alexis Bledel's face. I was thinking at first "Who's the middle-aged lady making the surprised expression?"

I was laughing at Lorelai still wearing the wrap dresses, eight years on.

I wonder who these characters will be... (they're playing a mom and daughter).

Olivia Jellen is the little girl, and she is playing "Phil's Kid #2." Phil will be played by Frank Provencher.

Assuming the mom's actress, Lisa Marie, is in costume in the picture, she appears to be wearing a wedding ring that's not the actress' (since the actress does not wear a wedding ring in her Instagram pics). So I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that if the daughter is "Phil's Kid #2," the mom is "Phil's Wife."

Olivia Jellen is six years old, according to her Instagram. We can rule out her playing Gabriela, since her trailer read not "Gabriela" but "Phil's Kid #2."

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
(edited)

With all that said, it would make sense if they were playing Stevie and Kwan. Who else could they be?

They could just be kids running around a festival or something. The original show had a ton of no-name kids on it.

EDIT: Except Mitchell's uncle posted that he's got a multi-episode part. So who knows. 

Edited by brightside

They could just be kids running around a festival or something. The original show had a ton of no-name kids on it.

EDIT: Except Mitchell's uncle posted that he's got a multi-episode part. So who knows. 

Stars Hollow doesn't exactly have a plethora of Asian kids running around, so it does lead me to think that the simplest explanation is the most likely.

The costuming choices hardly gel with "winter" or "fall," though.

(edited)

Stars Hollow doesn't exactly have a plethora of Asian kids running around, so it does lead me to think that the simplest explanation is the most likely.

The costuming choices hardly gel with "winter" or "fall," though.

Definitely seems like Spring or Summer to me. And they filmed some of Spring today, and the table read for Fall was just yesterday so I doubt they're filming that.

Honestly we know so little about the plot I don't think we have a simple explanation. They could be playing anybody. Lane's kids, Lorelai's adoptive kids, Rory's love child, cousins of Lane's, an alien that comes to Stars Hollow to abduct everyone...

Edited by brightside
  • Love 1

the Korean family was fundamentalist Christian

This is one of the most cliche stereotypes out there.

There's a difference between "happens a lot" and "cliche". In truth a lot of Koreans are very religious Christians (as a result of being aggressively proselytized during the Korean War).

I guess I would have expected S and K to at least look a little related.

The casting notes did say that they didn't have to be identical. This type of situation can happen.

Definitely seems like Spring or Summer to me. And they filmed some of Spring today, and the table read for Fall was just yesterday so I doubt they're filming that.

Honestly we know so little about the plot I don't think we have a simple explanation. They could be playing anybody. Lane's kids, Lorelai's adoptive kids, Rory's love child, cousins of Lane's, an alien that comes to Stars Hollow to abduct everyone...

Gilmorenews.com speculated that Hunter Wenzel could be playing the helpful Dewey (the 13-year-old character who appears in 1x03, "Summer") or Davey (Sookie and Jackson's son).

The only reason I speculated Stevie and Kwan is because it would be sooo Amy to have one kid look like Lane and one kid look like Zach. And I bet you anything that Hunter will be playing Kwan, to make it extra "funny".

I guess it could be Davey. He'd be about 12 now.

The casting notes did say that they didn't have to be identical. This type of situation can happen.

Gilmorenews.com speculated that Hunter Wenzel could be playing the helpful Dewey (the 13-year-old character who appears in 1x03, "Summer") or Davey (Sookie and Jackson's son).

That seems like a likely scenario to me.

(edited)

To add on to the earlier speculation about episodes, Sutton Foster's episode also had MC in it. So if Sutton Foster's episode is 1x02, that means that MC must be in at least three episodes (1x02 with Sutton Foster, then 1x03 and 1x04 with the LDB people). If Sutton Foster's episode is 1x03, that means that MC is in at least two episodes (1x03 and 1x04).

Edited by Eyes High

To add on to the earlier speculation about episodes, Sutton Foster's episode also had MC in it. So if Sutton Foster's episode is 1x02, that means that MC must be in at least three episodes (1x02 with Sutton Foster, then 1x03 and 1x04 with the LDB people). If Sutton Foster's episode is 1x03, that means that MC is in at least two episodes (1x03 and 1x04).

Well we know MC is in at least 2 episodes, because he'll be with the LBD in "Fall" and then whatever episode Sutton is in, which isn't "Fall" (she's in an episode written by Dan).

If the two boys are Steve and Kwan, they actually look a lot like I pictured them. I know from real life experience that children of a mixed-race couple can look pretty different from each other. As too why they would be around in episodes they aren't supposed to be in...maybe they will be in the background, non-speaking, at the random town events?

According to people who took the WB tour today, they weren't filming but they were staging the set for "Fall". 

The people also said that their guides told them that they're gonna wrap up in April so Pretty Little Liars can have the Midwest Street set back. Now I don't know this but I'm assuming they planned to film the exteriors first and then will finish up on the sound stages in April/May. So I bet that the beginning of filming was really Stars Hollow-heavy and a lot of the filming coming up is Hartford/in Lorelai's house/at the Dragonfly/wherever Rory lives now.

Wait- they're getting married???? 

My worst nightmare - the LDB assholes get together to throw Logan a bachelor party before he marries Rory.  Gag.

My biggest problem with Jess and Rory ending up together is the fact that he is Luke's nephew. I mean Luke and Lorelai are supposed to end up together, which will make Jesse and Rory step-cousins. I just think it's a little weird to end up with your step-cousin. I know that that they're not blood relatives, but they will be related by marriage and I think them being together will complicate the family/extended family dynamic. 

My sentiments exactly.  I loved Logan, liked the LADB (the stunts) and Finn, and tolerated Colin.  But Robert was just so dull and joyless.  No offense to the actor, but I hope his role is very small.

He's probably just going to tagging along with the guys- i mean unless if he's been harboring some resentment towards Logan and wants to cause trouble. However, seeing as they only have 4 episodes total to work with, I don't think they will be focusing much energy on something like that. 

Wait- they're getting married???? 

Rory is not getting married.

My biggest problem with Jess and Rory ending up together is the fact that he is Luke's nephew. I mean Luke and Lorelai are supposed to end up together, which will make Jesse and Rory step-cousins. I just think it's a little weird to end up with your step-cousin. I know that that they're not blood relatives, but they will be related by marriage and I think them being together will complicate the family/extended family dynamic.

Why? It's not like they grew up together as cousins, so it really wouldn't be an issue. Surprisingly, in some states cousins can still marry. Anyway, Rory is not going to marry anyone. 

Well how do you know that she's not marrying anyone?

Rory is not getting married.

Why? It's not like they grew up together as cousins, so it really wouldn't be an issue. Surprisingly, in some states cousins can still marry. Anyway, Rory is not going to marry anyone.

Well their families will be connected. And I think it would make things awkward. Like wouldn't it be awkward for your step-aunt (or your mom's boyfriend's sister) to also be your mother in law/boyfriends mother?
Well their families will be connected. And I think it would make things awkward

It was good enough for Charles and the first Lorelai. It should be good enough for Jess and the third Lorelai :)

• Love 1

Well how do you know that she's not marrying anyone?

I read the scripts ;-) JK! Just a feeling that ASP would not pick any of the former boyfriends. I also don't think they will introduce a new love interest and have Rory marry him.

• Love 1