Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Silent Night

This whole episode could be summed up as "Goddamnit Tandy." Although digging up Gordon was a good idea on paper, it's such a dark, terrible idea in practice. Especially around Todd. But I was relieved when Gordon's corpse wasn't needed.

And that's a hell of a note to leave on. Now to wait a month to see what happens next. That's gonna hurt.

• Love 3

Gee, big surprise -- Mike was on a tether. Never saw that coming. </sarcasm>

Uh, the way that capsule was tumbling Mike is probably squashed like a bug or burnt to a crisp -- or both.  But $5 says that the capsule splashes down in the ocean next to the remains of Pitbull's yacht.

And New Phil will likely be dead by the next episode -- if the operation doesn't kill him from Gail's shitty surgical skills, then post-operative complications most likely will.

• Love 1

This whole episode could be summed up as "Goddamnit Tandy." Although digging up Gordon was a good idea on paper, it's such a dark, terrible idea in practice. Especially around Todd. But I was relieved when Gordon's corpse wasn't needed.

And that's a hell of a note to leave on. Now to wait a month to see what happens next. That's gonna hurt.

No way would Gail have been able to handle using Gordon's corpse. That was icky.

I love seeing Gail reluctantly step up. Someone has to take some responsibility there. 

• Love 2

Phil flat-lined, so he's dead. Though it's TV, so you never know. But if they do let him be dead, I'll give them some respect for letting it happen on a so-called comedy. For Gail to fail at the operation is very, very realistic.

Original Phil is extremely annoying, even when he's being nice and helpful. His entire personality grates.

Astronaut Bro and the worm (though I really think it's a caterpillar, specifically a tomato hornworm) was touching.

Gail and Todd seem to have some genuine connection. I thought that was interesting. Todd and Melissa were grateful to have found someone-- anyone. But Todd and Gail seem to really have "it".

I loved Carol handling Melissa. Emotional doggy bag, indeed!

• Love 1

Original Phil is extremely annoying, even when he's being nice and helpful. His entire personality grates.

Phil's problem is that he tries way too hard, and it's both a turn-off and counterproductive because he can't read the room well enough to quit while he's ahead, so he just keeps pushing until it backfires on him.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 5

I really admire Forte for making his character so obnoxious (and obtuse), but as much as I love the series "Tandy" is wearing thin. I find myself clenching up and grinding my teeth every time he appears/interacts. And with the advent of his Brother's arrival, I fear we'll see lots more despicable behavior. Having Mike join the Malibu group could really shake things up in a good way. I want to trust that we won't see just a lot of sibling rivalry . 

If Phil 2.0 is really dead, it's hard to see how Gail survives it. Would hate to see her drink herself to death....and/or disappear

• Love 4

Wow.

I don't care for new-Phil at all, but damn if I didn't tear up as we watched it all go down hill during surgery as it should have. There is no other way that situation could have turned out, so i'm glad they went there (that we know).

I'm really loving Mary Steenburgen here, I always forget her being an actual Academy Award winning actress, and not just Mrs. Ted Danson.

I'm curious as to how Mike will fit in w/ the group when he eventually arrives.  I'm afraid it will be a rehash of new-Phil's arrival w/ all the girls swooning over him, and after the eventual Tandy/Mike re-bonding that there will be jealousy and more Tandy foolishness.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 2

Maybe Mike's arrival will finally give Tandy back some dignity, ("Treat my brother with some respect!") and Original Phil won't have to try so hard. Of course, that won't last...

I hope Mike will have the presence of mind to say to Tandy, "Sit down and shut up, you idiot"  once in a while.  Carol is too nice to say it, or if she does, she says it too late after Tandy's habit of running off at the mouth has already blown up in his face.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

I loved it.

Phil (original) was trying hard to lighten the mood and be positive, but he didn't really do anything wrong. I actually thought the way he tried to make Phil 2.0 feel better was very sweet. I esp liked the 50th birthday card.

When they went to the morgue for cadavers, I was confused because I figured they'd be all decomposed by now. I'm glad that's what happened. When Phil suddenly came up with the idea of digging up Gordon, I literally gasped. And when they hurried to carry the corpse back to the grave, and Todd slipped, I laughed.

Gee, big surprise -- Mike was on a tether. Never saw that coming. </sarcasm>

I don't think he was actually on a tether. He wasn't attached and had to catch it before he floated off into space.

What I expect is for Mike to land in the ocean, and then the show will go back and forth betw his storyline and the others' stories. The show may be wacky at times, but I don't think the capsule is going to land off the coast of Malibu.

I really have to commend the show for having Phil 2.0 die in surgery. Gail just couldn't realistically perform major surgery with no experience. That would have been too too much.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 6

That was a brilliant episode, but I kept wanting everyone to get serious and stop wasting time.  I guess I've seen too many miracle saves on TV, because I was hoping for a miracle for Phil. 

Edited by AuntiePam
  • Love 1

Very well done episode between the humor and the seriousness.

It's interesting to watch the arc of Phil. I think all his time alone, and then everyone flocking to Tucson made him feel like he was totally in control early on, it wasn't until the ousting that he was humbled. He's tried to win everyone back over and do right, but every once in a while, as the acceptance rolls in, however slightly, you can see the arrogant abrasive Phil come through.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Alpha of the group gone. If one of the ladies doesn't step up Ugly Phil may not be that far away. Really it has to be Melissa, too. Carol will enable Phil, Erica is going to be heart broken and soon enough consumed by her pregnancy without modern care, and I see Gail going to a very dark place. And Todd doesn't have it in him to motivate the group.

I feel bad, I must be the only one who doesn't care if Phil 2.0 does not make it. I'm rooting for Mike, though!

I had a thought last night, if Jason Sudeikis makes it to Earth and to Malibu, will it be awkward since he and January Jones used to date, and he was even rumored to be the father of her child? They must have a good relationship for Sudeikis to even consider being on the same show. OK, showfolk gossip time over!

• Love 2
I had a thought last night, if Jason Sudeikis makes it to Earth and to Malibu, will it be awkward since he and January Jones used to date, and he was even rumored to be the father of her child? They must have a good relationship for Sudeikis to even consider being on the same show.

She dated Forte during all of season one. So, she is stuck with a lot of awkward.

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 4

Very well done episode between the humor and the seriousness.

It's interesting to watch the arc of Phil. I think all his time alone, and then everyone flocking to Tucson made him feel like he was totally in control early on, it wasn't until the ousting that he was humbled. He's tried to win everyone back over and do right, but every once in a while, as the acceptance rolls in, however slightly, you can see the arrogant abrasive Phil come through.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Alpha of the group gone. If one of the ladies doesn't step up Ugly Phil may not be that far away. Really it has to be Melissa, too. Carol will enable Phil, Erica is going to be heart broken and soon enough consumed by her pregnancy without modern care, and I see Gail going to a very dark place. And Todd doesn't have it in him to motivate the group.

That's where Mike comes in, I bet.

I'm curious as to how "realistic" they'll try to make the return of Mike. If he lands in the ocean, he has no way to get to land. If he lands on land, even with the parachutes that would be a hard landing, right? And imagining he makes it, he hasn't felt gravity in about 4 years or so. Or eaten any solid food. His re-acclimation would be... rough.

• Love 2

Wow. What a roller coaster of an episode, emotional doesn`t do it justice. I am hoping the machine is faulty as I would like to see new Phil survive, but as Charlesman has already said his part has been played by a `guest star` and that means it could be the end for him, unfortunately, just as his character was starting to get back in with the rest of the group. The scene with Gordon`s body was hilarious, Todd and Tandy work so well together. What about Todd`s dancing, who knew eh? Why is it off for a month? Bummer. I love this show.

She dated Forte during all of season one. So, she is stuck with a lot of awkward.

Why is it that people never seem to believe in amicable breakups? I'm still best friends with my ex-boyfriend of 3 years, one of my friends still hangs out with his ex almost every week, another talks to his ex-husband almost every day and my dad's first ex-wife before my mother comes to family gatherings at his house.

Sometimes things don't work out and it's no big deal.

Edited by John M
  • Love 1

I have heard that astronauts do have some work to adjust to regular earth gravity again after time in space, and Mike has been floating for a long time. It would be amusing if he's unable to stand up for a while and kind of crawls on his belly for an episode or two, but I don't expect the show to go there, and he'll probably be the alpha either way.

My hope is that he and Tandy have a good relationship, and that Todd gets accepted as one of the brothers as well. I love the friendship between Tandy and Todd, and adding Mike as a third, and also hopefully as someone who cuts down on the Tandy annoyingness somehow, would be a jolly good turn for the show.

Seeing Mike on his own for a while is something I hadn't considered. I wouldn't mind that, but I do hope he manages to connect with the rest of them sooner or later.

I want New Phil to be dead because of the realism, but it does bother me that somehow the Black Guy Always First To Die In Any Movie trope would be getting put back into service.

Any chance that the virus? that killed the bulk of humanity would strike Mike and kill him to?

That would suck, but given the bleak tone of this episode and my doubts that Jason Sudeikis wants to be a regular on this show, I wouldn't be surprised.

I enjoyed the huge bags of pills that they all had or said they had in their rooms. I can imagine that if everything was available to you, there would be a lot of that kind of thing happening.

Any chance that the virus? that killed the bulk of humanity would strike Mike and kill him to?

Viruses can't live more than a few hours outside of a host.  Even something that highly contagious would itself have died off altogether after it ran out of susceptible hosts (the survivors were obviously somehow immune, so they can't serve as hosts because they can't be infected).  So since the virus ended its course almost four years ago (it's almost 2024 by the show's calendar), I'd say Mike's safe -- that is, assuming that he survived re-entry into Earth's atmosphere.

Is it possible that the six survivors have a mutated form of the virus (or, whatever), that allows them to live with no issue, but could still infect Mike upon meeting?

I imagine Mike (and Phil 3) would have a rough time of it when they arrive - and they have to arrive safely, otherwise his whole subplot seems worthless. Maybe he'd just be sick by himself for awhile before acclimating. He'll probably land in the ocean, but near an island or Argentina or someplace. And I think he'll probably journey to his hometown of Tucson, which should lead him to Malibu pretty quickly. Whether the gang is still there is an open question. My guess is no.

Mmm I think Mike was also immune and the rest of the space station crew also died from the Virus

Haha i laughed when they were so naive that they could find a corpse after 4 years, if only the morgue's freezers had power.. LOL

• Love 1

Well, Merry friggin' Christmas, everyone!

Wow, and here I thought I'd sit down and watch something light and funny this morning. Still, though, I loved it.

Perhaps Mike will land in Europe or something and find another patch of survivors?