Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: AKA You're A Winner

So why did Luke need to lie when hiring Jessica? Did I miss something? Jessica's confession would have been really powerful if Colter was a better actor. I'm starting to wonder how he got hired. If there's a spinoff for him in the works I won't be watching.

• Love 4

Luke pissed me off this episode even though it's understandable. That just shows how much people don't understand what Killgrave can do. I think out of the other survivors only Hope and Jessica know the full scope of that man's evil powers.

Yes, Jessica probably shouldn't have slept with him knowing she was brainwashed into killing his wife. But the brainwashed part is what makes it difficult to be on Luke's side. Jessica lost everything to that evil man and he still has his hooks in her with how worried she was when the alarm didn't go off for to send a selfie to him. Luke's died tragically but he can move on. Jessica can't. Even when she thought he was dead he was still with her, still torturing her. It's made even worse from Jessica and Hope accounts that they were still there, powerless to stop themselves from doing whatever he said.

David Tennant is doing a great job as well, he's not the Tenth Doctor in this part. The way he's playing it makes me fearful for Jessica whenever she tries to go after him. I want him gone but I also don't want her to get hurt by him anymore.

• Love 5

So why did Luke need to lie when hiring Jessica? Did I miss something? Jessica's confession would have been really powerful if Colter was a better actor. I'm starting to wonder how he got hired. If there's a spinoff for him in the works I won't be watching.

He's a perfectly fine actor and he plays the character quite well. And it's not a 'spinoff', because all four shows were established and planned before Daredevil ever aired. Luke Cage's show is just as 'main' as Jessica Jones and Daredevil. It's four separate shows in the same world, not 'spinoffs.' 

Either way, you not watching is your personal loss. I just think people tend to equate 'I disagree with how a character reacts' with 'that person is a bad actor.' 

• Love 11

I really felt for Luke in that reveal scene. He is/was falling for Jessica and to know that she is responsible for his wife's death is a hard blow to take. Yes, Jessica is not ultimately responsible, but brainwashing doesn't alleviate Jessica's guilt nor would that fact mute Luke's anger over the act. I understood both character's reactions. to the revelation. 

But damn, Kilgrave is terrifying. 

• Love 3
He's a perfectly fine actor and he plays the character quite well. And it's not a 'spinoff', because all four shows were established and planned before Daredevil ever aired. Luke Cage's show is just as 'main' as Jessica Jones and Daredevil. It's four separate shows in the same world, not 'spinoffs.' Either way, you not watching is your personal loss. I just think people tend to equate 'I disagree with how a character reacts' with 'that person is a bad actor.'

He's charismatic but in casting circles he would be labeled as "limited." We'll just have to agree to disagree on his level of talent and that me not watching his show would be a personal loss.

• Love 1

I am wondering about that as well. My first thought was maybe he didn't want the guy remembering later and making noise about it, but that doesn't really track. Maybe he brought it for her? He seems to be someone so used to getting whatever he wants and Jessica was probably the first person to ever walk away from him. Maybe he wants to prove something.

As for Luke I think he is totally right. Jessica behavior with him was unacceptably shitty. Ok she was mind controlled, when she killed his wife, but not when she kept sleeping with him. There was no reason to sleep with in the first place and certainly not to keep doing it. I mean really that was bad without any real purpose other then .... he's hot? Also he just found out he wife was legit murdered, not negligent murdered, or an accident. I really don't see why he would come back to Jessica other then wanted to help get the guy who is responsible, but I would more then understand if he was done with Jessica as a person. 

Edited by yb125
  • Sad 1
  • Love 8

As for Luke I think he is totally right. Jessica behavior with him was unacceptably shitty. Ok she was mind controlled, when she killed his wife, but not when she kept sleeping with him. There was no reason to sleep with in the first place and certainly not to keep doing it. I mean really that was bad without any real purpose other then .... he's hot? Also he just found out he wife was legit murdered, not negligent murdered, or an accident. I really don't see why he would come back to Jessica other then wanted to help get the guy who is responsible, but I would more then understand if he was done with Jessica as a person. 

I agree and am even starting to dislike Jessica a little because of it. Okay, she's totally damaged but her continued reckless and thoughtless impetuousness is on her. How did she imagine that conversation with Luke was ever going to go? It was a betrayal of the highest order.

I guess it's good I'm not in casting circles because I'm completely buying Mike Colter's performance and range as Luke.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 7

I find Jessica's behavior very human if also damaged. She is extremely guilt ridden about what happened to the extent that she was stalking Luke. I don't think outright meeting him was part of the plan but things happened....and things happened. When is a good time to tell someone you murdered their wife? She tried to tell him once when she brought up a guy who can control people but Luke shut her down. If I remember correctly that was around the time she broke things off with him.

Yes of course she shouldn't have slept with him in the first place but we are talking about a damaged person and it was an impulsive move when she was not at her best.

As for Kilgrave; I think he bought the house legally because it looks to be Jessica's childhood home. And I think he wants to own the place and didn't want to worry about controlling the guy who sold it to him. It takes constant reinforcement so I think that handing him a suitcase full of money was smarter.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Fire 1
  • Love 14

I find Jessica's behavior very human if also damaged. She is extremely guilt ridden about what happened to the extent that she was stalking Luke. I don't think outright meeting him was part of the plan but things happened....and things happened. When is a good time to tell someone you murdered their wife? She tried to tell him once when she brought up a guy who can control people but Luke shut her down. If I remember correctly that was around the time she broke things off with him.

Yes of course she shouldn't have slept with him in the first place but we are talking about a damaged person and it was an impulsive move when she was not at her best.

I think that both of these points are valid and key parts of what makes this such a fucked up situation (created by a cruel and fucked up person). I also think that, in addition to him having to process two huge reveals at once (premeditated murder and committed by Jessica), Luke is also dealing with a huge amount of guilt. One could argue that Luke has been burying his feeling over losing his wife by having an active and varied sex life (with no complications); the show has made it pretty clear that Jessica is the first woman who has made him actually feel something since his wife died. To find out that she is the one who killed his wife in the first place will definitely bring a sense that he is betraying his wife's memory by having feelings for (so far beyond just sex with) her murderer.

It strikes me that, when one takes the motivations out of it,* the Jessica/Luke situation bears some similarity to the Lucious/Frieda Gatz storyline on "Empire." Not really spoilers, but in case someone isn't current on that show:

Lucious, a horrible person who would probably love to have Kilgrave's powers, had Frank Gatz murdered while they were in prison. Before having Gatz killed, Lucious promised that he was going to sign Gatz's daughter, Frieda, to his music label and then seduce her (or, more colorfully, "slip her my bone"). Once he was released from prison, Lucious began relentlessly pursuing Frieda; she is now signed to his label and he is setting himself up as a new father figure in her life. It remains to be seen if he will go through with seducing her. But imagine if he does seduce her, and then she finds out that he is the one who had her father killed. To me, those feelings wouldn't be too much different from what Luke is feeling at this point.

* Really, I'm looking at this in terms of impact, not intent. There is no way that I would ever compare Jessica's damaged life choices to Lucious' general psycho shittiness.

• Love 1

I am wondering about that as well. My first thought was maybe he didn't want the guy remembering later and making noise about it, but that doesn't really track. Maybe he brought it for her? He seems to be someone so used to getting whatever he wants and Jessica was probably the first person to ever walk away from him. Maybe he wants to prove something.

At a guess, I'd say it's because with the purchase being legitimate, the house is now something Jessica can never take away from him. He knows she's after her, and that she's trying to prove he can control people. Even if she does that now, somehow, he will always have this part of her- her family home. And whatever he might do there from now on, any time she thinks about her home, any time she revisits, those memories will always be tainted by Kilgrave. 

In essence, he's retroactively insinuating himself into her life, before he ever met her. Very insidious. The man is a fiend.

(Now, admittedly, if she does prove him to have mind control powers and he does get sent away, I'm sure someone could come forward and say that the money he used to purchase it was illegally gotten, and/or the house could be seized for legal reasons as collateral to repay his victims or something, but it would still not ever go back to Jessica.)

• Love 5

I love the scene where Kilgrave is obviously trying to refrain from using his powers. It's probably not something he does often. And I know Kilgrave is an awful person, but I think I'd be completely happy with an entire episode of his shenanigans. He's just so darn entertaining. Also, there are times when I too wish I could just tell everybody to be quiet. I mean, I could, but they wouldn't actually do it.

I don't particularly care about Luke, but I do think he's justified in his current anger with Jessica. She wasn't really responsible for killing his wife, but it was pretty crappy of her to carry on a relationship with him knowing what she did. 

Edited by Leia1979
  • Fire 1
  • Love 8

Luke was right about everything (even though Mike Colter is so terrible and uncharismatic in the role that i just wanted for him to get with it and stop talking). Jessica is a fucked up person, and what she did was wrong thing on so many levels. Why have you seek this dude out? Why would you sleep with him, repeatedly, if you were hiding this terrible secret?  You have nothing in common except the sex and being superpowered. Why him, why not some other hunky hot looking guy? Does Luke have a golden dick or something? They had 6 episodes to build up the pairing but they went from boning like crazy to tender embraces very quickly, and then oh no, a awful betrayal! With amazing lines like "I was inside you and you killed my wife!" (or something like that). *cringes*

Luke was acting all upset and annoyed over Jessica leaving the warehouse with the idiot brother was just ridiculous. Dude, you're indestructible. Pretty sure you'd be just fine fighting those guys off on your own.

Jeri, you cunning little lady you! This s great plan you have here. I hope it'll work out.

Hope was heartbreaking here. And I also cared about Hope's ordeal and Malcolm's issues more than I care about Jessica's drama.

Ooh, Killgrave, that sick amazing bastard!

• Love 1

Luke was right about everything (even though Mike Colter is so terrible and uncharismatic in the role that i just wanted for him to get with it and stop talking). Jessica is a fucked up person, and what she did was wrong thing on so many levels. Why have you seek this dude out? Why would you sleep with him, repeatedly, if you were hiding this terrible secret?  You have nothing in common except the sex and being superpowered. Why him, why not some other hunky hot looking guy? Does Luke have a golden dick or something? They had 6 episodes to build up the pairing but they went from boning like crazy to tender embraces very quickly, and then oh no, a awful betrayal! With amazing lines like "I was inside you and you killed my wife!" (or something like that). *cringes*

Luke was acting all upset and annoyed over Jessica leaving the warehouse with the idiot brother was just ridiculous. Dude, you're indestructible. Pretty sure you'd be just fine fighting those guys off on your own.

Jeri, you cunning little lady you! This s great plan you have here. I hope it'll work out.

Hope was heartbreaking here. And I also cared about Hope's ordeal and Malcolm's issues more than I care about Jessica's drama.

Ooh, Killgrave, that sick amazing bastard!

Jessica finding someone with whom she could have unbridled sexual relations with without having to hold back was probably a huge selling point to that part of the relationship, and the connection was already there between them, so I buy them developing as they did. And, as others have pointed out, she seemed to be trying to tell him the deal with his wife when he shut her down, and she consequently broke contact. Not finding the right time to tell him something that awful makes her human, IMO.

It's funny how Jessica became attached to Luke in the same way that the cop became attached to Trish, through Kilgrave's using them. Speaking of which, I am usually in the camp of not having an innocent pay for the crimes of a parent, but if Hope's kid inherited it's father's powers? Babies are already a black hole of need; imagine if they could get everything they wanted by mind control? Yikes!

• Love 8

I don't blame Jessica for getting with Luke, she finally found someone like her. That was point of all their sex scenes, with previous partners they had to hold back their strength, with each other they can go full out and enjoy the experience probably for the first time. If they are constantly worried about hurting their partners sex is probably not as fun for them. 

Jessica didn't kill his wife, she was mind raped into doing it. Should she have told him, maybe but it still wasn't her, she didn't have a choice. Jessica makes stupid choices like most people. It makes her human. Which is what I like. If she did everything perfectly all the time she'd get called a Mary Sue. It's really hard for female lead characters to please people. Secondary characters have it easier because the show isn't focused on them and they get to make better choices sometimes to show how F'd up the lead is. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 9

The truth is finally out!  I saw were both characters were coming from in the end and, rightly or wrongly, I did think they acted realistically.  I know and have seen what Jessica has been through, so I still has more sympathy for her.  This whole situation is so fucked up and even if she threw that punch, that was all Kilgrave.  And it is clear that it eats her up and that was why she was looking in on Luke in the first place, because of that guilt.  At the same time, yeah, keeping that from him while sleeping with him, certainly doesn't look good on her, and I was perfectly fine with Luke's outburst because of it.  Maybe the "piece of shit" was out of line, but that had to feel like a betrayal to him.

The Hope story-line might not make everyone happy, but I can certainly understand why she does not want to birth the child of fucking Kilgrave (I'm guessing it was actually him, unless he mind-controlled someone else to have sex with her, which... yeah, I can even begin to get into what kind of fucked-up shit Kilgrave's into).  But why does Hogarth want the dead fetus?  Does she think it will help the case somehow, or is there something sinister going on.

I'm guessing Kilgrave buying Jessica's childhood house legally was to not get in any trouble, plus owning it officially does probably give him an even more perverse pleasure.  He's such a bastard.  Although, him making everyone in the restaurant be quiet did kind of amuse me.  He's still an awful being, but if he wasn't, I wished he worked a movie theater and his entire job would be going into auditoriums and making people turn off their damn cellphones and quit talking during the show.  But that would require him to not be the creepiest psychopath on the planet.

Interesting to see Malcolm off drugs and trying to move past what happened to him.  I like his loyalty to Jessica, even if he ever did try to fight Luke, it would end pretty badly, I suspect.  But I do think all these shots at the victim meetings means that this season will probably end with Jessica finally going to one.

Missed Trish, but I guess they didn't want to make the episode too crowded.

• Love 4

Well, damn. That. Was. Intense.

I knew Luke finding out the truth was going to get messy but this was really, really gut wrenching.

Why did Luke's wife bury a flashdrive and why did Kilgrave want it? What does Kilgrave want with Jessica's childhood home? What does Jeri want with Kilgravespawn fetus?

So many questions.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

To state something I haven't seen yet on this thread, I am loving Malcolm more with every episode, and him trying to protect Jessica from Luke was both sweet and hilarious.

I'm guessing Kilgrave doesn't want to have to give up the house if he gets knocked out by anesthesia again. 

• Love 4

Yeah. Why exactly did Reva have that flash drive? Did she put the information on the flash drive, and if so, why and where did she get that information? It's a rather odd thing to have. 

I get the strong feeling Reva was involved in making Luke, Power Man.

• Useful 1

Jessica finding someone with whom she could have unbridled sexual relations with without having to hold back was probably a huge selling point to that part of the relationship, and the connection was already there between them, so I buy them developing as they did. And, as others have pointed out, she seemed to be trying to tell him the deal with his wife when he shut her down, and she consequently broke contact. Not finding the right time to tell him something that awful makes her human, IMO.

The problem with this is she slept with him before knowing he had powers, I understand why she'd want to come back for more once she knew, but there was no reason to go there in the first place, there first time was presumably a one night stand, why have a one night stand with a guy whose wife you feel responsible for killing? I just doesn't seem to make any sense. Even in all Jessica's issues which are usually about pushing people away their first time just didn't make sense to me. 

If for her not finding the right time to tell him, well yeah there are precious few if any right times to tell someone you were the weapon that killed their wife, and there are zero times after you knowingly sleep with them despite this info. I like a lot of the changes to have made from the comic, but this one is weird and I don't see how they come back from it. I mean 

they must since at least in the comics they get married and have a baby and are one of the more stable Marvel couples

Anyways I guess we will see how they handle it going forward.

I can see why Luke would be pissed that Jessica has been keeping this huge secret the whole time she was developing a relationship with him, but was she supposed to come up to him as a total stranger and tell him about his wife’s murder? Befriend him without sleeping with him then tell him? I don’t think either of those would have worked out very well either. Maybe the best thing she could have done was stay away completely. But if she never involved herself in his life, he would have eventually ended up killing the wrong guy for his wife’s death, and she wouldn’t have been there to stop him from making that huge mistake.

So… all’s well that ends well?

“I was inside you” was unintentionally hilarious, though. I blame the writing for messing up the intensity of that moment the truth was revealed. The actors acted the hell out of that scene.

if Hope's kid inherited it's father's powers? Babies are already a black hole of need; imagine if they could get everything they wanted by mind control? Yikes!

This is making me wonder what Kilgrave was like as a baby. Was he born with this power? Did he develop it later in life? Seems like he’s had it forever if he never had to learn to make small talk.

But why does Hogarth want the dead fetus?  Does she think it will help the case somehow, or is there something sinister going on.

Maybe she wants to see if she can gain the power of persuasion through Kilgrave’s genes somehow. Don’t ask me how the science on that would work.

why have a one night stand with a guy whose wife you feel responsible for killing?

She was just drunk to throw good judgement to the wind? That’s all I’ve got.
  • Love 1

That last scene: the framing of Kilgrave's face, the music, and the reveal was rather bone chilling. (I had been wondering what those street names meant and why she recited them in moments when she's trying to pacify herself)

It's so fucked up! Reciting the street names was a way for her to feel safe and ground herself whenever she felt a panic attack or flashback coming on. For him to take away the last safe space she had, in a figurative and literal sense is almost too monstrous for words. Kilgrave is the scariest villain from a comic I've encountered in a while.

• Love 9

So this show is something else. A riveting piece of television, even in an episode where too much of it was dedicated to a wild druggie chase. 

The reveal of Jessica's involvement in Reva's death was tough to watch, but I suppose it's the only way it could have come out. I'm assuming Luke will come back around to talking to her once he realises that it'll get him closer to Kilgrave. But I'm more interested in what it was Reva had on him, that Kilgrave went to such efforts to get back.

The criticisms of Jessica are valid. She was wrong to have a one night stand with Luke, even more wrong to revisit that, and then triply wrong to think she should turn it into more. Why did she do it? She wanted to feel something good. But this is who she is. She's a fuck up, a traumatised person who makes bad choices, and perhaps even makes them in a subconsciously deliberate way. She'd cut herself off from her best friend, she had no personal relationships at all, her only interactions seemed to be snarking at people. It's the down-and-out PI trope, updated for the modern, Marvel age. I still find her eminently sympathetic as a protagonist. She's hurting herself as much as she's hurting other people

Colter is doing an okay job as Luke, though I can see where people find him lacking. For all his size, he doesn't have a whole lot of screen presence, and I struggle to see him headlining his own show. Compare him to Ritter, who is fantastic, and Charlie Cox, who was quiet and understated, but had a magnetic presence. Let's just say, they'll need a good cast of secondary characters on the Luke Cage show.

Speaking of, where was my girl, Trish in this episode? I missed her. I'll just assume she was off doing awesome things and becoming more badass.

I really liked Malcolm as the goofy, drug-addled character, and I like him so much more as the sober, repentant, decent guy. I'm so glad that Jessica helped him, and that he seems determined to turn his life around. 

Hope is pretty awesome herself, too. That girl has a will of iron. Paying another prisoner to beat her into a miscarriage, not even having to think for a second before downing a pill that would make her violently sick for eight hours. Her revulsion for Kilgrave and everything he made her do really hits home. I actually liked Hogarth being there for her, even if she does have ulterior motives for it. 

The idea of Kilgrave wanting to buy the house 'legally' after he'd used his powers to turn a poker game into a farce, then had one of his opponents beat his own brains out against a post, is kind of laughable. But Tennant is selling the twisted charm well, and I agree that an episode full of his shenanigans would be a fun, albeit dark and disturbing, one to watch. His obsession with Jessica is truly unnerving, though. He seems to be controlled by her in some way, which nicely juxtaposes the way he controls others. Everything we've seen him do has been about getting Jessica back. The ultimate creep ex-boyfriend.

Right now, I'm imagining a Sinister Six type show, with Kilgrave as one of a group of villains, and thinking it would be amazing. Probably a whole hell of a lot better than the Suicide Squad movie will be.

• Love 2

I agree- Kilgrave is definitely the creepiest and most interesting villain in the Marvel universe so far. I love David Tennant but he is making my skin crawl in this; he's amazing in this role.

Love Malcolm getting sober and becoming someone dependable for Jessica. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he'll be back for a season 2.

• Love 1

Speaking of, where was my girl, Trish in this episode? I missed her. I'll just assume she was off doing awesome things and becoming more badass.

Probably catching up on all the sex she missed out on during the previous heist episode. I really like her and am trying to decide if trish or karen page is the hottest character in thr mcu.

I am also curioud to see what happens when Jessica finds out that Killgrave owns her house and her meditation technique no longer works.

And like Malcolm, I'm curious how Killgrave's powers actually work. Because he can't controll people over the phone, but whrn he told people to be quiet in the coffee shop his powers worked when they weren't even looking at him.

• Love 1

Speaking of which, I am usually in the camp of not having an innocent pay for the crimes of a parent, but if Hope's kid inherited it's father's powers? Babies are already a black hole of need; imagine if they could get everything they wanted by mind control? Yikes!

Yeah but babies suck at actually communicating their needs. The people around it would just be confused and helpless. Then you toss the kid in a plastic magneto cage, no airholes necessary. 

And while we're on the topic of kids, once I got over the shock of Hope's pregnancy and thought about the bigger picture: Given his powers and age, how many kids does kilgrave out there? (I needed a shower after I thought about this)

Edited by PatternRec
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

In defense of Luke, I think his reversal on what Jessica is a piece of isn't based on her killing his wife while brain washed, it's that she slept with him knowing that she killed his wife of her own free will. Which is on her.

• Love 1

But she didn't kill his wife of her own free will, she was mind raped so her guilt comes from doing something horrific when she had no control over her own mind and body. She slept with him because she liked him. And how would you really start that conversation off? "I'm sorry I killed your wife while I was being mind raped as well as physically raped by a psychopath for months". Luke didn't really believe in Killgrave's powers, the only people that did were the ones that experienced it first hand. He would not have for one second believed her. 

She blames herself for something that wasn't her fault, having other people tell her it is makes what Killgrave did even more horrific. 

• Love 2

But she didn't kill his wife of her own free will, she was mind raped so her guilt comes from doing something horrific when she had no control over her own mind and body. She slept with him because she liked him. And how would you really start that conversation off? "I'm sorry I killed your wife while I was being mind raped as well as physically raped by a psychopath for months". Luke didn't really believe in Killgrave's powers, the only people that did were the ones that experienced it first hand. He would not have for one second believed her. 

She blames herself for something that wasn't her fault, having other people tell her it is makes what Killgrave did even more horrific. 

I think you're misreading the post

she slept with him knowing that she killed his wife of her own free will

should be read as

she slept with him (knowing that she killed his wife) of her own free will

• Love 3

I don't blame Jessica for getting with Luke, she finally found someone like her. That was point of all their sex scenes, with previous partners they had to hold back their strength, with each other they can go full out and enjoy the experience probably for the first time. If they are constantly worried about hurting their partners sex is probably not as fun for them.

Jessica didn't kill his wife, she was mind raped into doing it. Should she have told him, maybe but it still wasn't her, she didn't have a choice. Jessica makes stupid choices like most people. It makes her human. Which is what I like. If she did everything perfectly all the time she'd get called a Mary Sue. It's really hard for female lead characters to please people. Secondary characters have it easier because the show isn't focused on them and they get to make better choices sometimes to show how F'd up the lead is.

The issue is not the murder. That's a in the moment reaction by Luke that is understandable but fade after reflection. Knowing the truth of what happened before getting involved with him and leaving him in the dark is the bad part. That is what people are reacting to. He had a right to know what happened and who he was sleeping with. It's not her fault for what happened. But, even if say someone inadvertently shot and killed your wife. You probably don't want to be in a relationship with that person.
  • Love 3

I guess I don't take it as Jessica murdered his wife. I take it more as she knows Killgrave murdered his wife and didn't tell him. Still bad, but not as bad to make her a piece of shit because he would not have believed her in how it happened if she had told him the truth.

Now don't get me wrong, Luke has every right to be angry but while his anger is at being lied to, it's also for blaming Jessica for killing his wife. He didn't really believe in Killgrave's power, so his anger was also directed at her for letting him sleep with her knowing she killed his wife. When for me she did not kill his wife. Killgrave did. I saw and believed in Killgrave's power, so I don't in anyway blame Jessica for anything she did under his control.  Luke and the world would have. 

As for what I do if I were in that situation, I don't know. But I never apply real life situations to televisions shows because its pointless. TV writers are always going to choose what brings the most drama. 

Edited by Sakura12

I  understand why Jessica didn't tell him -Luke didn't believe mind control was possible-, but she shouldn't have slept with him. That was a shitty thing to do. But I still like her, warts and all.

I'm surprised no  one knew about Kilgrave until now. He may be more discreet than Loki or Ultron, but you can't really say he is trying  to go  unnoticed. And world has been aware of the existence of superheroes for a while, now.  Also, I'd  really like to  know more about his past. I don't think  he's been always  like  this. Can you imagine a little kid with those  powers? "Don't stop me, I want to know what's inside this socket. And you can throw my medecine through  the window,  I'm  not going to take this shit."

• Love 2

I  understand why Jessica didn't tell him -Luke didn't believe mind control was possible-, but she shouldn't have slept with him. That was a shitty thing to do. But I still like her, warts and all.

It's not like Jessica didn't know it was a shitty thing to do, to be fair. After their one night stand, she freaked out and did a runner, then would have stayed away from Luke if she hadn't thought he needed rescuing from that woman's husband and his buddies. But I think the rush of finding someone else like her, combined with the lust they felt for each other, just caused her to put it out of her mind for a little bit. By the time it hit home just what she was doing, I guess she wanted it enough to pretend that the past would stay there.

• Love 7

It looks like a lot of people disliked the "you let me inside of you" line, but I thought it did a good job of showing just how violated he felt.

And he had every right to feel extremely violated. Imagine if Malcolm had escaped Kilgrave's hold on him, and then initiated a sexual relationship with Jessica, knowing that she was unaware of all the spying he did. Jessica would be justified in being furious with him if she found out, and I think most viewers would share her anger.

Now don't get me wrong, Luke has every right to be angry but while his anger is at being lied to, it's also for blaming Jessica for killing his wife. He didn't really believe in Killgrave's power, so his anger was also directed at her for letting him sleep with her knowing she killed his wife.

When Luke confronted Jessica at the end of this episode, I think he had accepted that Kilgrave really has mind-control powers. When he confronted her, his anger was about her failure to tell him the truth. If he actually thought Jessica had murdered his wife out of her own free will, things would have probably gone very differently.

• Love 5

It's funny to realize after seeing Krysten Ritter on the Jimmy Kimmel Show a few days ago that the chipper voice she used to call Antoine to tell him he won a contest actually sounds more like her voice in real life than Jessica Jones! It's as different as Stefanie Beatriz from Brooklyn Nine Nine's real voice is to her character Rosa Diaz.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I feel Luke in this one. He's not blaming Jessica for killing his wife - he knows it wasn't her fault. He's angry that she slept with him and didn't tell him that first. If it were me, I'd never speak to her again.

On the other hand, Jessica's clearly deeply traumatized by her experiences and is just trying to reach out any way she can - and to some extent getting involved with Luke to punish herself, too. She's a very sympathetic character, but it's not fair to expect Luke to be the one to sympathize.  After all, he's not just a foil Jessica can use to work through her issues, he's a person.

I hope those crazy kids work it out somehow, though, because I'll be disappointed if Krysten Ritter doesn't appear in at least one episode of "Luke Cage." I didn't know I liked her until

she died in the "Veronica Mars" movie, and it ruined the ending for me. The fact that she could take such a thankless part and make me feel something was sort of epic in its own way.

Now I'm hoping to see her pop up in all the Defenders shows.

• Love 1

I really felt for Luke in that reveal scene. He is/was falling for Jessica and to know that she is responsible for his wife's death is a hard blow to take. Yes, Jessica is not ultimately responsible, but brainwashing doesn't alleviate Jessica's guilt nor would that fact mute Luke's anger over the act. I understood both character's reactions. to the revelation. 

But damn, Kilgrave is terrifying. 

I got the impression she didn't know there was a connection between the woman she'd killed, and Luke, until she opened the medicine cabinet in the bathroom AFTER they had already slept together. She left when she found out, but couldn't bring herself to tell him what had happened until he knew about Kilgrave. By then they were in too deep. She did try to stay away from Luke. I think it's a bit much to expect her to tell him the truth before he'd have been able to believe it.

• Love 3

I got the impression she didn't know there was a connection between the woman she'd killed, and Luke, until she opened the medicine cabinet in the bathroom AFTER they had already slept together. She left when she found out, but couldn't bring herself to tell him what had happened until he knew about Kilgrave. By then they were in too deep. She did try to stay away from Luke. I think it's a bit much to expect her to tell him the truth before he'd have been able to believe it.

No, she knew. It's why she was stalking Luke in the first place. When she saw the picture in the medicine cabinet, guilt is the reason she scuttled out of there.

• Love 4

I can see both Jessica's and Luke POV. Which makes me love this show even more. When there is no completely right or completely wrong and we can see where characters come from, what might have made them act the way they have even when it's not something one would like. Excellent writing!

And count me to the ones who don't see anything resembling charisma from Colter.

I really wonder what Jeri's idea is with this. I guess a dead fetus with mind control power genes is safer than a baby with them. And it makes me shudder how many there might be out there.

That final scene. His hands all over her last last place. I have no words how creepy that is.

• Love 1

Yeah I'm a little confused too. I thought she was hired (by someone who is probably compelled by Kilgrave) to take pictures of Luke because he was sleeping with Gina. Then she slept with him, then saw the pic in the medicine cabinet and realized he knew Reva. Is that not correct?

Yeah I'm a little confused too. I thought she was hired (by someone who is probably compelled by Kilgrave) to take pictures of Luke because he was sleeping with Gina. Then she slept with him, then saw the pic in the medicine cabinet and realized he knew Reva. Is that not correct?

I don't believe so, no. She was following him because of Reva-based guilt. Her remarks about being hired were lies presumed to present a more reasonable explanation for her tailing him (and having taken the photos). She slept with him because mutual-superhero-chemistry-somethings and because he was hitting on her in the bar. Medicine-cabinet Reva just sort of snapped her out of it because she was being an ass and she knew it, but momentarily (earlier) decided to be an ass anyway because superhero drunken horny loneliness whatevers. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 3

Yeah, she told Luke that the husband of the woman he was sleeping with had hired her, and Luke relayed that information to the woman, who talked to her husband... who had no idea about the affair. The woman showed up at Jessica's door to angrily accuse Jessica of hiring herself (which she had).

• Love 1